Vanderbilt 1982 Eau de Toilette

Vanderbilt (Eau de Toilette) by Gloria Vanderbilt
Bottle Design Bernard Kotyuk, Lalique
Vanderbilt (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Gloria Vanderbilt for women and was released in 1982. The scent is floral-powdery. The production was apparently discontinued.

Sophia Grojsman

VanillaVanilla
VetiverVetiver
CivetCivet
CinnamonCinnamon

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 23.08.2021.

Plucked Swan
Once in the 80s also moved in with me the proud swan bottle of Vanderbilt. At that time, where everything was a little too much in terms of fashion and cosmetics, a real lady-killer. There were only two choices: Love it or hate it. My problem was that I didn't know whether to love him or hate him. The small bottle begged me later my daughter as a teen and with her he now also lives a life as a decorative bottle.

The days then been with my 95-year-old aunt at the cemetery, where her husband, who introduced me to the world of perfumes, already lies for over 30 years. Her son was prevented and thus that was natural for me to be there for her. Since we were once on the way, aunt wanted still to the red horse ;) Can one there still at present unhindered rummage, which makes woman more beautiful. Although a bit wobbly on the legs, but clearer in the head than some younger people, it always attracts aunt to fragrances. The proud swan on offer and I eyed it askance. No tester there and I made a blind purchase on Aunt's advice.

In the car, of course, we both had to test the scent, which was a lot of fun. Aunt's fragrance comes later still to the here language. But first comes the swan on it.

The beginning immediately an indefinable, synthetic mixture, where you could only sniff the aldehydes. This note remained very dominant all the time and then pushed the floral scents to the side after a short appearance. Nothing of them to smell. The finish again heavily overshadowed by the aldehydes. The ingredients only sniffed briefly and then were pushed aside. A candidate to trigger migraines. What he also did the day after a test.

So actually we had the fragrance differently in memory. More balanced, powdery and floral. Although what opulent, but more harmonious. Nothing for yes actually....no group ladies. Aunt said whether the fragrance had always been so old-fashioned and conventional. Her he would be too old-fashioned and for me even more so.

Now the fragrance held and held and held. Then compared at daughter with the old fragrance. The smelled as we " old " had him in memory. Has nothing in common with the synthetic broth, which is now sold under the same name. Schade....Kann understand that he has migrated to the Bückzone.

The fragrance will certainly have its lovers. Only except for the bottle I find nothing beautiful in the fragrance. Since the green sister is better by far. Flacon will now delight me as a noble sight, but not its content
Medusa00
This granny is not wearing a smock!

....and pageboy panties either. Do you know bellboy knickers? They're long-sleeved knickers that go halfway up your thigh.

They used to give me some made of angora wool because I had caught a bladder infection. After the once washed, he has scratched so that you had a butt like a baboon from other places not to mention.

I doubt Gloria (1924 - 2019) ever wore such love killers. She had a troubled life, and not an easy one either, but she must have been comforted by the millions.

The swan came swimming back to me today. With a bit of a battering, because they clipped his wings and he has arthritis in his right leg. He looks a bit plucked but is still recognizable.

Young noses will not like him, because he is a fragrance for mature ladies, but without smock apron and pageboy. For Kittelschürzenträgerinnen like Minna and Erna even less. They stand daily at the garden fence and gossip about the neighbors or the people who walk by.

Minna (in apron and support stockings):
"Haste die jesehn? Now she arrives again like a peacock. I don't know who peels the potatoes at the heeme." At this she throws bergamots at her old hut.
Erna (with curlers and baggy clothes), has her teeth still in the kukident bath and smells of lavender, which she always has in the cupboard against moths:
"Over there is the Heini again! He has now already the third car. He has to pay for a few brats he has in the wild, because he bimbo's everything that's not off the boom at 3!" She picks a few carnations and throws them away, because they are already wilted. The roses are also already hanging their heads.
Minna:
"The (civet) cat has also jepiselt at my woods again. They have him nu neutered, there he no longer stinks so!"

The peacock comes back with a musk deer (from the zoo for conservation) in tow. She sticks a brush of smoked opoponax in the two gossips `s shame mouth and proudly walks away in a fleeting wanülle cloud.

Dark powdery, defused, but still beautiful.
Neckielein
On a discovery tour in the bathroom
It must have been 1987/88, I didn't go to kindergarten yet, my mom was there for me for the first three years of my life, and my dad went to work, as was so common at the time.
............ It was afternoon my mom hung out on the phone every day for several hours and cooked on the side. When the meal was ready, she said to me, I should but please wash my hands before we eat, so I went for the first time alone into the bathroom.
Arrived in the bathroom I looked around everywhere, on the small cabinet, were the toothbrushes and of course I smelled it, about the smell I could recognize which toothbrushes belonged to whom.
Then I saw the white clean polished shiny toilet, and I just thought to myself, why do you always have to wash your hands in the sink, when you can also do that with the clear water from the toilet. So I washed my hands in the toilet.
After washing I dried my hands with the bright white towel, then I smelled my hands and had to determine that it was not a good idea.
But I didn't want to go to the sink, because I would have to take the heavy stool, so I looked for another alternative,........and then I saw it, a beautiful lovely flacon with an image of a swan. I just thought, "Yes, that's the solution. I spray
my hands with the perfume Couple seconds later the Penetrante smell rose high, that I almost had to cry
.......The smell rose burning in my nose, went through my throat and settled even on my taste buds on the tongue, although my mouth was closed.

The smell was indescribably horrible, I just wanted it gone, so I picked up the heavy stool and went to the sink and washed my hands with curd soap, hoping the stench would go away quickly.

Years late I took this fragrance at a much older colleague was, of course I had to talk to her about it and ask which perfume she wears, and she said this fragrance she wears decades. The next day she showed me the bottle, and that's when I remembered. It was the flacon with the lovely swan, but the scent is still not so mine.

Now about the fragrance,..........I find it very very heavy, definitely smells artificially synthetic, citrusy, and a breeze of cinnamon I can detect out of the thousand ingredients. It is a winter scent. In summer, you should not wear it because it is much too heavy.

A few days ago I bought the fragrance at a drugstore, of course I introduced this perfume to my husband and my little daughter.My daughter said, mhhh it smells yummy, and my husband said,......oohhh that smells awful though, I thought you didn't like citrusy fragrances.
My response was: ,, I don't like citrusy scents either, but this perfume reminds me so much of the 80's" and of course I told them both about my discovery tour in the bathroom at that time,....both looked at me in amazement.

The Best Cheap Dusty Atmosphere Ever
I have often seen this perfume on sale in department stores, and have always been through it. After reading the reviews, and listening to the advice of a dear friend of the essences, I bought it. They label the classic Gloria Vanderbilt as a floral-oriental, but it’s not the opulent oriental flavouring trend of Middle Eastern perfumes. Instead, it’s a sweet, woody, soft, powdery, spicy, surprising and pleasantly floral. The master perfumer Sophia Grojsman (YSL Paris, Lancome Tresor, Estee Lauder White Linen, etc. are just a few creations) created the original formula who crafted several scents that people around the world treasure. The package features a shy, light pink cameo box with an embossed white swan and contains a pretty bottle, circular and flat like Chanel’s Chance, with a bas-relief swan on the back and visible from the front. The golden plastic cap has the brand printed vertically. Although the packaging lends itself to being judged as coarse, what interests me most is the golden juice inside. I'm so glad I got it on a local store during a sale because they sold out so quickly! Who would’ve thought such a budget-friendly fragrance would end up on my top favourite shelf along with Guerlain Shalimar and CH Good Girl? What can I say, the more I smell it the more it becomes an addiction, literally speaking it is a drug that slowly gets under your skin and you can no longer do without it.

The batch I have starts off easygoing, light and fresh, including aldehydes, tons of them that almost tear up my nose. However, that blast only seems to last the first few minutes, and then you get to indulge in warm and delicious unripe pineapple notes. It is tropical and sour pineapple, not the sweetest one as in contemporary colognes. Let me tell you an important thing. Don’t make the same mistake as me of thinking of Gloria Vanderbilt as an old aunt’s perfume while trying it in the air or on the paper strip. Doing that way, you can merely feel the initial part of the fragrance, which is rich in aldehydes and akin to hairspray as if you just entered a hairdresser for ladies. Still, you do not perceive the more floral, makeup, and talc notes that come to life when the perfume caresses and grows up on the warmer skin. I catch a smidgen of the citrus bergamot and the honeyed neroli, yet not much of the mentioned green notes. Slightly bitter in the background, I discern the orange blossom that smells almost candied and the lavender that holds on its crisp temperament throughout the evolution.

After about fifteen minutes, the bouquet transforms into a sweeter, powdery, and silky makeup atmosphere combined with cinnamon and a rather large spoonful of vanilla from the base. Suppose you are no longer a teenager like me, and you were born in the 60s or 70s. In that case, you should remember the attractive, sweet, deep and adorable smell of your mom and grandmother’s beauty case, filled with scented creamy scarlet lipsticks and compact velvety powder. Gloria Vanderbilt’s heart keeps exactly that delicious scent. Resinous and decadent blossoms pop up here and there, we have indolic jasmine and tuberose, none of them too prominent or defeating the other notes, a tad of rose, but mostly the buttery orris root that blends with sweetish ylang-ylang. Still, a nostalgic and old-fashioned carnation stands up, giving its contribution to the ‘80s feeling of the overall redolence. Gloria Vanderbilt avoids being too ideal even in this recent formulation, showing no restraint in using tuberose. There is a brief taste of a spicier direction, but the carnation seems unable to tame the White Queen.

When the dry down comes a few hours later, an oriental base of spicy, woody, and brute accords appears in all its beauty. The cinnamon cortices here pushed in the tail notes, dances with the animal civet, tidy musk, balmy opoponax, a big punch of vetiver, creamy sandalwood and luscious vanilla. It never gets too mossy or woodsy as it stays soft and powdery and gentle. It isn’t too sweet like I thought it would be. It dries down to a faint, cuddling powder scent. Under some aspects, it reminds me of Guerlain’s Insolence, not a clone, just similar shades. I didn’t expect me to like this perfume, but I do. There have been many like it, but insignificant details emerge from the structure in a forget-me-not gesture of brilliant subtlety. The pineapple in the opening is among them, and the base is delightfully appealing and somewhat sooty. I bet if you removed the floral heart notes, this would be a killer masculine.

Vanderbilt offers excellent durability with a moderate projection. I like that the smell lingers, unlike most other perfumes, this cheap. If sprayed in the evening, the fragrance lingers on the skin even when you wake up the next day. The composition is incredible: bright and clean in an almost soapy way, warm and sensual, a little balsamic and delicious. I love wearing it at work because it gives me focus, but I also love spraying it at home to beautify my space and to do housework. My one and only concern is the sillage, and I wish the scent could come off somewhat stronger on my skin. It looks like I’ll run out of the perfume quickly because it’s something I really want to use every single day. I think this is the rare kind of fragrance that works during the day and for evening occasions, both formal and informal settings, from the early Fall to the late Spring, perhaps even on cooler Summer nights.

This is a big and beautiful flowery smell, an expensive but very cheap scent, the definition of affordable luxury. I bought a 100 ml bottle here in Italy for 9,90 EUR, for a few euros, you take home an EDT that behaves like and more than an EDP. In this era of extreme sweetness, of amber and gourmand accords, Vanderbilt presents herself as something clean and unisex with still a long queue of fans. The wearer, younger, older, male or female, perceives the fabulous trail, and the current formula seems to have kept the original spirit. The recent formulation I own is a fluid genre, like Dior Homme, which with its characteristic lipstick vibration makes it a perfume with very feminine touches. Men or women, or anything else, can wear it. I don’t find it as dated as some reviewers have said, but it is definitely different from traditional perfumes these days. I’m not an old lady, nor an elderly, but the middle 50s. Eventually, it’s addictive, once it satisfies your taste, you won’t be able to get enough.

This review bases upon a 100ml (3.38 Fl. oz) bottle I own since September 2020.

-Elysium
To two crazy girls
Two friends who accompanied me for a while wore this scent. It was heavy, violent, unmistakable, flowery and sweet and its sillage was powerful. In short, I could hardly escape the scent when I was with one of these two wonderful, slightly crazy girls. So I started to like him after some initial nerves. There are a lot of things in the pyramid that I like. Once again, there is the pineapple (how many times have we had this theme) and the orange blossom, which I love very much, as well as iris in the heart and vanilla and musk in the base. All notes that I love all around. Nevertheless, I never wore this fragrance myself, but I let myself wear it when I was on tour with my strong girls.

I met B. when I was about 15 or 16 years old. We spent several vacations together. From skiing holidays in Vorarlberg to summer holidays in the south of France. My parents took her on vacation, so we two teenagers had something to do to pass the time. She was a year younger than me, but so much more mature and confident, which I liked. When I was a child, she was already completely woman. This fragrance, which for me is absolutely feminine (yes yes, pineapple belongs in the world of women's fragrances ;)), was perfect for this, especially because of the rose, tuberose and exotic ylang-ylang. B. took me by the hand like a big sister in many situations and showed me how to become an adult. And you could always have fun with her.

Many years later during my studies I met T. in a seminar at the university. He was a completely different type than B., but she also wore this scent. T. was one to literally steal horses with. We used to go clubbing together in the evenings. Her weakness was Heavy Metal and she never went out of her way to bring joy. T. was 1-2 years older than me and had it thick as a fist behind his ears. She had hip-length, blonde hair, just a typical metal girl. We also went to concerts and festivals together and lo and behold - she knew most of the musicians personally and sometimes disappeared with the odd backstage :)
She once told me about her scent that everyone would recognize her by it and that one of the reasons she loved it so much. And she's right about that. Vanderbilt is a fragrance that, once you have perceived it, never goes out of your head. If a person with an appropriate appearance also carries it, the memory remains forever connected with this person.

That's how I felt with those two girls. Both were worthy of the scent. They were confident, strong and always knew what they wanted. Unfortunately we lost sight of each other. Dear B. and dear T., if you happen to be registered here, it would be nice to know how you are doing. You have certainly not lost any of your power and your craziness. It's hard to imagine that you're still wearing the scent, because I know you both with the vintage version. When I look at the previous speakers here, it seems to have lost its character due to the reformulation. That's too bad!
It was Christmas...
And so this fragrance as a gift with equal 100ml moved in with me.
The test spray on my wrist didn't bode well.
I'm just not the type for long lasting, heavy and significant fragrances.
I'm addicted to migraine, so unfortunately some scents cause the boring and stabbing pain in my head.
The alcohol mark is initially strong.
After this has vanished, I smell bergamot, jasmine and musk out.
The scent lasts long...very long!
A sprayer on the wrist can be clearly smelled the next day.
The bottle is kept simple with a relief-like depicted swan.

At this point sorry to all lovers of this fragrance, but mine it is unfortunately not.
It sticks to me like honey and triggers subliminal headaches due to my sensitivity.

But for women who like "Hello here I am! Fragrances, this may well have been a success.
Old vs. New
I like Vanderbilt. Not for every day, because he is already very present, but every now and then it must be Gloria ;)

Because of the commission on the old formulation, I shot a mini of the old version in the e-cove.

Arrived today and immediately compared.
I find the old version milder, not as stinging as the new one. He seems powderier and finer to me too. Still flowery but not so penetrating. I spray the new formulation 1x into the air and run through. Fss is more than enough. The old version is no longer available as a sprayer but I think it wouldn't be so extreme.

All in all I like the old better...strangely enough it smells a bit like Giorgio Beverly Hills on me...but more pleasant than GBH

;)

Never without
I was a child when this perfume appeared, so I don't remember the original vintage version.
I'm going to write about the actual version and I must say that it has been a love at first smell to me!
I was looking for a longlasting scent at an affordable price and when I tested this one, with its powerful tuberose note, I liked immediately. It's a complexe and rich scent, with a good and strong sillage, just in the style of the 80es perfumes. Never without in my perfume wardrobe!
My sister's signature scent
As children, we were often considered twins. Which was no wonder we're only 11 months and 3 days apart.

My sister has always been the more energetic of the two of us. As a child she always had bumblebees in her ass, was constantly on the move and could assert herself better against adversaries.

We were connected by a kind of love-hate relationship. We've often argued that the rags flew. And just as often we have held together as bad luck and sulphur.

Today we get along well with each other and yet we are still very different personalities where there is a lot of explosive.

Vanderbilt goes with my sister. He underlines her personality and gives her a lot of warmth and femininity. The spiciness and gentle powderiness reflects her person exactly. Corners and edges and yet also friendliness, warmth and a lot of humour. She also has some scents in her closet. But Vanderbilt suits her best.

Sis, you're unique. Just like Vanderbilt. Happy birthday, little sister.

Bcars10
Transports me back to the 80's!
We all know that smells transport us back to memories we have of our pasts. My thought when I sprayed this the first time: Pez! It brought me back to the little Donald Duck Pez dispenser and candies I had as a kid.

The dry down has been interesting, to say the least. Four hours in, and I'm back in my high school locker room, surrounded by clouds of Love's Baby Soft and Aqua Net hairspray.

Such a weird perfume! It's totally 80's, but it's not horrendously loud and cloying like Poison or Giorgio. It's got a pleasant powdery aldehydic airiness about it. It's different, and it's bringing back such long-forgotten memories...I like it!

ElysiumElysium 10 months ago
It’s not the opulent oriental spicing trend of Middle Eastern scents. Instead, it’s a sweet, woody, powdery, spicy, surprising floral.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 3 years ago
Feminine, soft, but with a vibrant tuberosee solo. Good sillage.A great classic of the 80es perfumery at an affordable price. Never without!
Bcars10Bcars10 4 years ago
Really a classic, and a great example of 1980's perfumery. Every discerning perfume collector should own this one!

Ich versichere, dass die Statisten im Hintergrund in keinster Weise bestochen wurden und freiwillig agierten :-)
by Morpheus1
Im Märchen-Garten meiner lieben Mutter-mit einem Duft ihrer Sammlung...
by Sonnenwind
by Zelena
by Zelena
by Schrippe
by Schrippe
Verschleiß ... selbst der Vogel scheint Federn gelassen zu haben ...
by Pica
by Schahram
by Kiengira
by Kiengira

Popular Gloria Vanderbilt

Minuit à New York by Gloria Vanderbilt Jardin à New York by Gloria Vanderbilt Fatale by Gloria Vanderbilt Eau de Luxe by Gloria Vanderbilt Rêverie by Gloria Vanderbilt Honeymoon by Gloria Vanderbilt Vanderbilt Sensations - Rose Harmony by Gloria Vanderbilt V (Eau de Toilette) by Gloria Vanderbilt Miss Vanderbilt by Gloria Vanderbilt Love for Love by Gloria Vanderbilt Little Gloria by Gloria Vanderbilt Glorious (Eau de Toilette) by Gloria Vanderbilt Vanderbilt Woman by Gloria Vanderbilt Flower Elixir by Gloria Vanderbilt Vanderbilt for Men by Gloria Vanderbilt Eau de Vanderbilt by Gloria Vanderbilt Sensation de Glace / Icy Sensation by Gloria Vanderbilt Sensation de Soleil / Sunny Sensation by Gloria Vanderbilt Rêverie Pure by Gloria Vanderbilt Vanderbilt (Parfum) by Gloria Vanderbilt