Vanderbilt (1982) Eau de Toilette

Vanderbilt (Eau de Toilette) by Gloria Vanderbilt
Bottle Design: Bernard Kotyuk, Lalique

Vanderbilt (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Gloria Vanderbilt for women and was released in 1982. The scent is floral-powdery. It is still in production.

Sophia Grojsman

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Pineapple, Bergamot, Green notes, Lavender, Orange blossom
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Orris root, Jasmine, Rose, Tuberose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Opoponax, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Vetiver, Civet, Cinnamon

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 04.09.2019

6.0 8.0 10.0 4.0/10

It was Christmas...
And so this fragrance as a gift with equal 100ml moved in with me.
The test spray on my wrist didn't bode well.
I'm just not the type for long lasting, heavy and significant fragrances.
I'm addicted to migraine, so unfortunately some scents cause the boring and stabbing pain in my head.
The alcohol mark is initially strong.
After this has vanished, I smell bergamot, jasmine and musk out.
The scent lasts long...very long!
A sprayer on the wrist can be clearly smelled the next day.
The bottle is kept simple with a relief-like depicted swan.

At this point sorry to all lovers of this fragrance, but mine it is unfortunately not.
It sticks to me like honey and triggers subliminal headaches due to my sensitivity.

But for women who like "Hello here I am! Fragrances, this may well have been a success.

Old vs. New
I like Vanderbilt. Not for every day, because he is already very present, but every now and then it must be Gloria ;)

Because of the commission on the old formulation, I shot a mini of the old version in the e-cove.

Arrived today and immediately compared.
I find the old version milder, not as stinging as the new one. He seems powderier and finer to me too. Still flowery but not so penetrating. I spray the new formulation 1x into the air and run through. Fss is more than enough. The old version is no longer available as a sprayer but I think it wouldn't be so extreme.

All in all I like the old better...strangely enough it smells a bit like Giorgio Beverly Hills on me...but more pleasant than GBH

;)
7.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

Never without
I was a child when this perfume appeared, so I don't remember the original vintage version.
I'm going to write about the actual version and I must say that it has been a love at first smell to me!
I was looking for a longlasting scent at an affordable price and when I tested this one, with its powerful tuberose note, I liked immediately. It's a complexe and rich scent, with a good and strong sillage, just in the style of the 80es perfumes. Never without in my perfume wardrobe!
10.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

My sister's signature scent
As children, we were often considered twins. Which was no wonder we're only 11 months and 3 days apart.

My sister has always been the more energetic of the two of us. As a child she always had bumblebees in her ass, was constantly on the move and could assert herself better against adversaries.

We were connected by a kind of love-hate relationship. We've often argued that the rags flew. And just as often we have held together as bad luck and sulphur.

Today we get along well with each other and yet we are still very different personalities where there is a lot of explosive.

Vanderbilt goes with my sister. He underlines her personality and gives her a lot of warmth and femininity. The spiciness and gentle powderiness reflects her person exactly. Corners and edges and yet also friendliness, warmth and a lot of humour. She also has some scents in her closet. But Vanderbilt suits her best.

Sis, you're unique. Just like Vanderbilt. Happy birthday, little sister.
3.0 6.0 6.0 4.0/10

Bcars10
Transports me back to the 80's!
We all know that smells transport us back to memories we have of our pasts. My thought when I sprayed this the first time: Pez! It brought me back to the little Donald Duck Pez dispenser and candies I had as a kid.

The dry down has been interesting, to say the least. Four hours in, and I'm back in my high school locker room, surrounded by clouds of Love's Baby Soft and Aqua Net hairspray.

Such a weird perfume! It's totally 80's, but it's not horrendously loud and cloying like Poison or Giorgio. It's got a pleasant powdery aldehydic airiness about it. It's different, and it's bringing back such long-forgotten memories...I like it!

Wonder-bilt
Orange blossom and tuberose ride in on a gentle wave of aldehydes where they meet fresh green and citrus with a pineapple accent. A praline accord fills the space underneath with a quite neutral and slightly oily hazelnut paste, and this sits opposite a dry lightly spiced tobacco leaf. There is a vague hairspray ambience, as though someone has just done their hair ready for an evening out before spraying on the Vanderbilt.

Being a floriental its a night time scent, more at home in a cosy cuddle than daily routines. Its soft, very feminine, and may be a bit cloying when the drier and spicy sides demur to its pink sweetness.

As the intro unfurls towards the more stable body accords it feels a bit uneven from time to time. Then, when it does become fully established, the profile boils down to a sweet pink light rosy floral with strong orange flower and tuberose accents over a layer of tobacco, set on a dry woody tinged oriental base that lasts and lasts.

Vanderbilt takes a lead from one of the biggest phenomena of seventies perfumery. A construction similar to Charlie's aldehydic head of hyacinth / cyclamen / muguet is used, but in Vanderbilt it's pushed into the background. The melon and plasticky leather heart which dominates Charlie is replaced by a heavier praline note, and Charlie's almost indiscernible spice is boosted up. The same high pitched riff is played by both, but in Vanderbilt its almost hidden by the backing band. It's instructive to compare the Vanderbilt note pyramid here on Parfumo with the pyramid for Charlie on Wikipedia. Given the similarities in head and base notes, you could be forgiven for being surprised by how different they actually smell.

Vanderbilt also differs in its level of sophistication; it's technically way ahead of the rather cheap pragmatism of Charlie, at least in the samples I have where the Charlie may be a reformulation.

Being an oriental, the bottom half of Vanderbilt's profile can be interpreted as a reference to another game changing seventies smash, one that couldn't be ignored. Vanderbilt uses the spices and opoponax oriental base of Opium but tones them right down. What we have is a structure that takes the rather functional blasé notes of Charlie, and an Opium-Lite style of oriental base and employs them in a characteristically Sophia Grojsman type soft rose-centred floral.

Perfume is a sign of the times like any cultural product, and this one reflects the eclectic flux of fashions that that were around in the early eighties. Trainers (sneakers) appeared for the first time, headbands and sports gear, unisex clothes for women; big jumpers, trench coats, and Gloria Vanderbilt's pioneering brand of figure hugging jeans of course. All of this ran in parallel with a continuing seventies legacy of flowing, more traditionally feminine clothes made in natural fibres and muted colours.

Vanderbilt the perfume reflects this fashion milieu with its elements of the conservative oriental form that represent the traditional seventies currents, and it also quotes the new paradigm of Charlie's cool aldehydic floral, co-opted as a symbol of the modern styles emerging in the eighties.

This L'Oreal product is pretty, well crafted and the makers were canny enough to give it the right moves. It was a big hit in its day, but its character is now at odds with current taste. By the standard of today's market (ie. what is sold on the high street,) Vanderbilt is heavy and over mature; its style rather passé. Even so, it remains stubbornly popular. French supermarkets still sell it in box sets at Christmas, and that's proof of lasting appeal if ever there was one.
2.5 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Inexpensive yet beautiful carnation fragrance
I'm jumping on the carnation appreciation band-wagon and encouragingly putting both thumbs up for this little wonder.

Vanderbilt is not what I expected, at all. I had polluted my thoughts with the idea that this fragrance would be overly strong, offensive and cheap smelling. Well thank goodness today was the day I decided to grit my teeth and force myself to bear the scent of Vanderbilt.

This fragrance is rich, incredibly feminine and smooth. The opening was a little harsh, also a tad vinegary with a hint of vanilla, so my immediate thoughts were somewhat negative. However, give Vanderbilt a chance to settle and find yourself captivated by its charm.

Carnation is the most dominant accord in Vanderbilt, showing some similarities to the beautiful Billet Doux by Fragonard. Vanilla and opoponax further compliment the carnation by adding a slightly sweet and resinous warmth.

Vanderbilt is actually quite distinctive and pleasant despite its inexpensive price tag. I also find it complex in terms of composition and development. It smells very romantic on the skin.

This may appeal to the more mature crowd but that's not to say that younger women shouldn't give it a fair chance. Any girl that loves her orientals or rich florals will surely appreciate Vanderbilt.

I was highly impressed with the longevity and sillage, which proved far better than some high-end designer fragrances. Actually Vanderbilt could pass for something expensive anyway. Perhaps they need to update the packaging in order to have it appeal to new consumers.
8.0/10

Awesomeness
Worth seeking out a vintage bottle
I forgot how good this was!

I just acquired a vintage bottle from 1983, still in box with its Kmart price tag. Hands down better than 90% of the stuff in the mass market today ... and I'm not a floral girl!

Lovely, just lovely. Worth seeking out a small vintage bottle in box, if nothing than just for fun.

Jazzy76 8 months ago
Feminine, soft, but with a vibrant tuberosee solo. Good sillage.A great classic of the 80es perfumery at an affordable price. Never without!+1
Bcars10 3 years ago
Really a classic, and a great example of 1980's perfumery. Every discerning perfume collector should own this one!+3
3.0
6.0
6.0
4.0

Ich versichere, dass die Statisten im Hintergrund in keinster Weise bestochen wurden und freiwillig agierten :-)
by Morpheus1