Gravel - A Man's Cologne (1957)

Gravel - A Man's Cologne by Gravel

Gravel - A Man's Cologne is a popular perfume by Gravel for men and was released in 1957. The scent is woody-spicy. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Orange
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouli, Tonka bean, Benzoin
Base Notes Base NotesFrankincense, Vetiver, Musk

Submitted by Apicius, last update on 30.10.2019

7.0 6.0 8.0 7.0/10

Most Beautiful Soap Musk
If this fragrance smelled like today's version back then, then I am speechless. Because as soon as the first two digits of the year of publication are a one and a nine, then I actually want to avoid such fragrances. But the little stones in the bottle aroused my curiosity. And fortunately they did. Even if I don't know if this fragrance smelled as it does today, I was once again taught that clearly older fragrances smell timeless and not always rotten and golden
In the last few months I have repeatedly encountered soapy or clean musk notes. I was tired of that dry, woody, soapy note. She also ruined some scents for me.

My thoughts were rather negative after spraying: Oooh, another oldschool soap and musk scent. After all very smooth and not woody-rough and reduced to the essentials, without the usual, exaggeratedly complex oldschool drone bomb, where you don't know in which direction the fragrance actually wants to go.

But after 20 minutes the tide turns: the oldschool feeling is significantly minimized and a certain, discreet sweetness is added. The soapy musk note is not as woody-dry or pungent as usual, but well dosed, smooth and delicately soapy.

It doesn't take long before you notice something mineral (not aquatic). I don't know if it's actually from those little stones or if I'm just making it up. :)

In addition to the mineral note, there is also a pleasant, resinous note, without really having to think of incense. I am thinking here of the cellar of my deceased grandparents who lived in a village on high mountains. It smelled stony resinous. :)

So here we have a fragrance that has best solved the theme of "soapy musk". Perfectly and harmoniously placed minerals and resins with a subtle sweetness, decorate here the soapy musk pretty well.

In the end it becomes admittedly a little rougher/pungent and the sweet notes have disappeared. And I don't feel that scent smoky. Maybe just a little in the background.

The Sillage is rather in the middle range (5-6 points), while the fragrance loosely lasts 7-8 hours
So I'm positively surprised. By and large it is quite simple and not necessarily the most spectacular fragrance, but if you pay attention to some details, you can really appreciate this fragrance.
7.0 7.0 7.0 7.5/10

What kind of man
A Man's Cologne surprises me with timeless elegance. Since we like to abbreviate here: AMC not only stands for kitchen utensils, but also for another "men's toy" with timelessly elegant works such as the CJ series, Ambassador, Javelin and the Rambler Marlin.
And this scent in turn is made for the driver of one of these vehicles, which have as much power as this scent, but in appearance rather reserved seem (like the Gravel)
The Man's Cologne starts with a beautiful mineral orange, which gets a fine tart touch from bergamot and lasts quite a long time. Gradually Tonka prevails, whose sweetness is kept in check by Patch and does not make the Patch musty in return. In addition, I smell lavender, and that's not too close. Something woody joins in and creates a perfect counterpart to lavender.
In the base a breath of incense is added, which envelops the vetiever and enters into a wonderful symbiosis with him.
The base reminds me then strongly of the base of the Pour un Homme de Caron, only less sweet.
This Gravel plays very skilfully with contrasts, which unite perfectly and complement each other. I feel it creamy and powdery at the same time.
A Man's Cologne is as versatile as the AMC models, a timeless classic that suits every occasion. Straightforward, straightforward without getting boring.
This is also reflected in the bottle, which convinces with its clear shapes. But then the river pebbles make something special out of it.
The shelf life is not bad at all. 6 hours well perceptible, afterwards however still quite close to the skin present. The Sillage fits perfectly to the fragrance; not killing, but noticeably present.
9.0 7.0 9.0 9.0/10

Erfsche
When a man loves a woman ... or vice versa?
I was allowed to test A Man's Cologne as part of a hiking package from DonVanVliet, thanks again!

Today, on a sunny and warm late summer day, which has turned into an amazingly warm evening, I still sit outside under the almost full moon and sniff at my arm again and again, enraptured. The hiking package arrived today and I thought to myself, nimmste times the men's fragrance right at the beginning, that is certainly not anything for you anyway and on woody- spicy stehste eh not so.
In my (still relatively short) time at Parfumo, of course, I also found a lot of men's fragrances and every now and then there was actually one where I could imagine wearing it. I didn't buy any of them, though.

A man's cologne is a different caliber. I don't know the original, I don't have any possibility of comparison, I go to the test completely unbiased and actually the wow effect is there immediately after spraying on Bergamot evaporates relatively quickly and gives way to a pleasant, bitter-sweet orange which, compared to the top notes of other perfumes, lasts a very long time. It hasn't really disappeared after two hours, but now patchouli, frankincense and this very light, fresh vetiver breath, which I like so much and which keeps the frankincense in check, come to the fore. Tonka rounds the whole thing off without under-churning the other scents. Only I don't smell the lavender so much mentioned here, but I don't miss it either.

My prescriber Leimbacher called the fragrance creamy, slightly sunny and thick and I can only agree with that. The aroma is very complex and dense, pleasantly warm and cozy. Elegant, but not over-candidate. A beautiful late summer/autumn scent for every occasion, which is now on my wish list.

I've been wearing the scent for almost 8 hours and it's still clear to smell.
The bottle is simple, but I like these linear, clear shapes that are limited to the essentials. The little stones are the icing on the cake and make something special out of the simplicity.

Conclusion: I think I have a crush ... but really :-)))
7.0 6.0 7.0 8.5/10

Schlieren stones
Call me crazy or (psychologically) easily influenced, but: the little stones in the gravel have not only attracted me magically, I also mean to be able to smell them formally in the scent... ¶

"Gravel - A Mans Cologne" is a great remake of a once somewhat forgotten classic. This update is a dream, no question. Classic, elegant, manly. But at the same time incredibly creamy, slightly sunny (like heated marble stone!) and never exaggeratedly sweet/"clayey". In the heart almost a thick lavender, but somehow much more. And more than worth its price. So must facelifts! The stones fit perfectly to the mineral, very texture-rich, slightly granular smell, are quasi fused with the liquid and result in a concentrated unity, an ideal overall picture. A surface of scent that you almost feel in your nose. Noble and homogeneous, innocent and smooth. The original was certainly rawer, more powerful, more fringy and richer - but this one comes very close to the perfect modern men's perfume according to my taste. And it's based on classical music. Pah. Great, great, great! :)

Flacon: these little stones have taken a liking to me. The rest is unspectacular.
Shelf life: 6, rather 7 hours
Sillage: you can smell it... if you want.

Conclusion: "Gravel - A Mans Cologne" is one of the finest blends of barbershop, cream scent and masculine lavender you can imagine. Classic almost perfectly updated!

by DonVanVliet
by DonVanVliet
by Refresh
by Refresh

Popular Gravel

Gravel - A Man's Cologne by Gravel Gravel - Across the Ocean by Gravel Gravel - American Dream by Gravel