Cabaret (2003)

Cabaret by Grès
Bottle Design: Thierry Lecoule

Cabaret is a perfume by Grès for women and was released in 2003. The scent is floral-woody. It was last marketed by Lalique Group / Art & Fragrance.

Michel Almairac

Top Notes Top NotesLily-of-the-valley, Peony, Rose
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Violet, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Oleander, Patchouli, Sandalwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 26.06.2019

7.5 7.5 7.0/10

A Very Dramatic Rose
It's so easy to dismiss a fragrance based purely upon the fact that it's cheap. There's always that presumption that it can't be anything that spectacular, so if you're anything like me, you might stick your nose up in the air and keep walking. Cabaret should have stopped me dead in my tracks.

These days, the rose and patchouli combo seems a tad overdone, but back when this fragrance was first released, it was relatively new. Cabaret is perhaps not as intense as the more renowned patchouli and rose fragrances on the market, but I don't consider that a fault. I like that Cabaret sits closer to the skin.

The opening is fairly straight-forward. The rose accord is rich and oily, and the patchouli smells green and earthy. On the skin, Cabaret feels rather elegant and smooth, with the slightest hint of sensuality. Let me put it this way, this fragrance smells a lot more expensive than it actually is.

The heart and drydown are very similar to the top notes. Amber provides an element of syrupy warmth, while a touch of spicy musk and incense balances this fragrance out and adds extra depth.

Gres comes up with some really interesting scents. It's a pity that they aren't readily available or well-known. I have only positive things to say about this brand.

Despite Cabaret's subtle nature, this fragrance has great lasting strength. I would recommend it for wear during Autumn and Winter, and even on the occasional Spring day. I personally wear it often as a date fragrance as I feel it adds to the romantic mood.

Originally written: July 23, 2012.
7.0/10

Odd Loveliness
Any fragrance with patchouli and sandalwood in the base, also amber and musk, is starting off on the right foot as far as I'm concerned. Add incense and I tend to think, "how wrong could this possibly go?" Cabaret goes very right. My admiration for Grès was already established by recent acquisitions of the beautiful Cabochard, and the fresh, green and luxurious Cabotine, which incorporates Hyacinth so well--to me a sometimes problematic note . Therefore, I had no problem doing a blind buy of this and Cabotine Rose, still on the way, even though Cabaret has the often misbehaving lily of the valley. It's quite well-mannered here, lending depth to peony, rose, iris and violet. Poisonous oleander must be lending the odd spiciness I smell. I like Cabaret very much. It's not a sillage monster, doesn't last forever, but it's no skin scent either and while it's around it's quite strangely nice--a bit heady, smoky and sweet but also dense. It has an unusual loveliness that will take a few more wearings to flesh out. The designer has a number of majors to her credit, including Chloe and Bottega Vanetta. This one's good, too.

Madonna of the Rose
It opens on a cloud of pollen particles mixed with acetone. Luca Turin reported that he smiled beatifically as that dispersed and Cabaret settled on his skin. That sets the scene. I call it my Madonna rose, notes of incense, patchouli and lily of the valley support the woody rose in a style of ecclesiastical refinement. Another reviewer made an acute observation comparing the scent of Cabaret to the inside of a piano. If we explore that further we would find wax, dust and balsa wood. I was reminded of my weekend job as a teenager, cleaning the old Regent Theatre (demolished in the 70s) that showcased a hydraulically operated stage, appearing with fortissimo piano from the bowels of the theatre. Just like the Paris Opera House, are we getting the picture? I was told by a decrepit old caretaker that during the 1920s there were shows with live seals. Gres perfumers may have sought out the influence in 'L'Air de Rien' of dust, velvet brocade and parchment but left out the animalic notes. No seals, thank goodness. Either way, Cabaret is living up to its name, and in a world where truth doesn't stand in the way of a good story Cabaret is straight and true, commanding respect. It is ethereal, exhibits longing; it remembers lust but isn't obsessed by it. Sillage is slight, projection mild. Be generous with application if it suits you.
You will find the Madonna of the rose at Museo del Prado in Madrid and Gres Cabaret at a killer price online. Sample bottles are available. Comparisons to 'Lovely' don't stack up to my nose. I would rate it more highly in experience value, as Luca Turin did with a 4 star.
Summary. True Rose scent, smoke and ashes momentarily. Updated: I amp up the roses sometimes by layering this with Serge Lutens Sa Majeste.

jtd
New strategy: Put it in a less spangly bottle, give it a name like Musc deMuscatel, sell niche @ Lutens prices. Would work!
Transparent, woody rose. I’ve seen Cabaret described this way a number of times. I’ll take the transparent, and even though I can’t really describe how a fragrance is transparent, Cabaret is. I do smell a boozy rose, particularly at the opening. But overall, Cabaret smells of incense, lily of the valley and musk. There are certainly many elements that I’m leaving out, but these seem to be the key notes. They bounce off each other and form some interesting combinations as they evolve---green apple candy? Badgely Mischka-style fruity floral?

The early drydown (a fairly long stretch) smells of lily of the valley combined with the fruit-like sweetness of musk. Later in the drydown, the tone is a cool cedar-like, incensy musk. This last bit stays close to the skin but lasts the length of the day.

Again, I have trouble with the word transparent here, as I can’t really nail down what I mean. But here’s a point of comparison: Sarah Jessica Parker’s Lovely, similarly a musky, woody floral is blunt and gooey, whereas Cabaret feels coated in a glossy clear lacquer. The visual analogy of a lacquer or varnish, a clear layer that enhances or qualifies the color and appearance of what’s underneath, is probably close to the idea here. My bet is that there is a particular use of aromachemicals that focuses or directs the nose to the other elements of the fragrance, perhaps similar to the way aldehydes modify a floral. However it’s done, the effect is lasting and lovely.
2.5 5.0 5.0 4.0/10

Deluded Cabochard
I love movies like "Cabaret" and "Moulin Rouge" and had an idea what scent-genie I wanted to be in this bottle when I bought this un-sniffed, based on the ingredients and the info about this scent. My idea? Dark, musky, smokey with an undertone of florals that come to live like the act on stage. Sounds good, yes?
But; when I finally sniffed it, it smelled as if they had deluded Cabochard into a 'harmless' version. It is so similar in a bad way that I propose they change the name into: "a little Cabochard Cabaret smoke that is very fleeting". That the bottle is very awkward to handle is one thing, but that they just filled it with a deluded favorite of mine, in another. If you 'smell' this differently, I am glad for you; as far as I can tell: If you want that smokey Cabaret scent. Just get Cabochard. It's cheaper and you get more ML & value for your money, plus the bottle isn't so awkward to handle.
2.5 2.5 9.0/10

Weak
The opening starts with aged Patchouli
and dried Red Rose the note of powdery
violet starts to make it's presence
dries to an earthy boquet of purple
irises the drydown of smoky Sandalwood
and a dark wisp of incense dances above
the air. the fragrance is promising but
it's too light to be called thertical
or dramatic it just fleets off my skin
in like 30 minutes of an hour. I have
drenched myself in this because it's so
light i love the scent but i wish it was
heavier.

by Sherapop
by Evita
by Evita

Popular Grès

Cabochard (1959) (Parfum) by Grès Cabotine (Eau de Toilette) by Grès Cabaret by Grès Ambre de Cabochard by Grès Cabochard (1959) (Eau de Toilette) by Grès Goddess - Hommage à Greta Garbo by Grès Homme de Grès (Eau de Toilette) by Grès Madame Grès by Grès Grain de Folie by Grès Cabotine Rose by Grès Cabotine Moonflower by Grès Lumière Noire by Grès Mythos - Hommage à Greta Garbo by Grès Cabochard (1959) (Eau de Parfum) by Grès Caline by Grès Lumière Blanche by Grès Quiproquo by Grès Sphinx - Hommage à Greta Garbo by Grès Lumière Rose by Grès Cabaret Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Grès