Cabochard (1959) Eau de Toilette

Version from 1959
Cabochard (1959) (Eau de Toilette) by Grès
Bottle Design: Madame Grès

Cabochard (1959) (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Grès for women and was released in 1959. The scent is chypre-spicy. The production was apparently discontinued.

Bernard Chant

Submitted by WiB, last update on 11.11.2019

Variant of the fragrance concentration

Cabochard (1959) (Eau de Toilette)

This is a variant of the perfume Cabochard (1959) (Parfum) by Grès, which differs in concentration.

8.0 7.0 8.0 10.0/10

Sternanis
Dark-happy, loud and quiet, modern retro?
I can hardly believe that this fragrance should be 60 years old as it is (unfortunately I don't know what it was like before the reformulation, or which one or how many*). Because I couldn't, for the life of me, assign him to any vintage.

The top notes are perhaps the most likely - they almost knock me down at first, but at the same time they also seem a bit "modern" peppery. Then it gets herbolognig briefly (the word written looks so horrible :D), and I notice already the Patchouli. The geranium blends in very harmoniously with the picture, and the patchouli makes it somehow rosier, spicier and deeper than usual. Rose geranium and geraniol rose merge to a note, fresh sour rose with lots of greenery on it. I don't perceive jasmine very well - but my nose may already be blunted (I like jasmine scents, which others already call "oozy").

In between a light impression of Voltarensalbe shimmers through again and again, which does not disturb me at all. On the contrary, the somewhat warlike herbs give the fragrance a strange olfactory sparkle, but without me locating it in the forest, more like a somewhat overgrown courtyard garden between high shady trees and walls, with isolated sunbeams.
In addition a beautiful peppery leather. No leather clean fragrance as with Bottega Veneta, but rather smoky and slightly dirty. Not the leather handbag in the office, but the leather jacket in the pub.

The bottle is deceptive, it looks so well-behaved with the ribbon ;) Cabochard is "angular" in a way that is not serious or elegant, but rather has something rebellious, rough, but also cheerful.
It is somehow like this "retro look", which is always a bit more cheeky and colourful than the bourgeois 50's probably were in reality, but therefore doesn't look old-fashioned.

Patchouli here is something special. Raw, earthy and unfiltered, a real rumbling hippie patchouli. The leather, tobacco and oak moss notes just prevent it from slipping into the 70s or the crypt corner, and that very skilfully. An acquired taste - like a good whisky.

That's not a scent that goes with costume and pumps, and I wouldn't let him!!! for the office, no matter how often "Chypre" and "classic" is written :P
I also don't understand why it should be "for older people", for me it doesn't exactly radiate the seriousness of life. Even my boyfriend, who otherwise stinks of everything unsweet/unleckere, likes him, but my mother finds him "buääähhhh" :D
And something in that fragrance is screaming "HOLIDAY!!" - is it the coconut? I don't even notice them consciously, but I could fit.
The scent just rocks. There you go.
I'm going to put on my leather jacket and go... not hiking, not dancing, not drinking whisky, but coffee, because it's Monday ^^
*Note: I have the latest version in a 100 ml bottle with embossed bow in the glass.

Happy halloween !!!!!!!!
by TIA1971
by Ninahagen
by Ninahagen

Popular Grès

Cabochard (1959) (Parfum) by Grès Cabotine (Eau de Toilette) by Grès Cabaret by Grès Ambre de Cabochard by Grès Cabochard (1959) (Eau de Toilette) by Grès Goddess - Hommage à Greta Garbo by Grès Homme de Grès (Eau de Toilette) by Grès Madame Grès by Grès Grain de Folie by Grès Cabotine Rose by Grès Cabotine Moonflower by Grès Lumière Noire by Grès Mythos - Hommage à Greta Garbo by Grès Cabochard (1959) (Eau de Parfum) by Grès Caline by Grès Lumière Blanche by Grès Quiproquo by Grès Sphinx - Hommage à Greta Garbo by Grès Lumière Rose by Grès Cabaret Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Grès