Shem-el-Nessim 1906 Eau de Parfum

Shem-el-Nessim (Eau de Parfum) by Grossmith
Bottle Design Holmes & Marchant
Top 96 in Women's Perfume
Shem-el-Nessim (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Grossmith for women and was released in 1906. The scent is floral-powdery. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
PatchouliPatchouli
SandalwoodSandalwood
VanillaVanilla
CedarwoodCedarwood

Submitted by Feylamia, last update on 22.09.2021.

From dark to light
Preliminary, my sample is older, and there are "only" a couple drops left.

I think the age of my sample is responsible for the fact that I can't detect any of the top notes. Shem-el-Nessim starts. Ei me with florals that have to fight their way through a darkly spicy, slightly musty blanket. Leather? comes to mind. The florals are really struggling. Then a scent of dark chocolate slowly develops creamy light spicy floral. It seems someone has pushed aside the "leather" cover. At the end then joins a powdery note to it.

Here is then times a fragrance that turns from rather dark to rather light. From heavy and light fragrance I do not like to speak, that somehow does not fit. Durability and sillage move on my skin then also in the middle range.

WildGardener
Smelling which way the Wind blows
An old fashioned floral. I find this a bit sharp, but, with the odd powdery bouf that wafts up from time to time, it could be the scent of a Renoir model.
And in the base it smells like l'Heure Bleue.
Sommernacht
Feels most comfortable in the toilet
I thank Melisande for this high-quality sample and the opportunity to travel back more than 100 years in perfume history. A dream, if you can test such an old fragrance next to Shalimar or Opium. For me, unfortunately, a real nightmare to which I said "goodbye" in the toilet bowl. No, not the sample, but a toilet paper sheet, I had such a premonition when I saw the fragrance twins here.

Very well. After Parfumomanier we want to deliver here also what professional and evaluate, so politely say, the brings me to ko
. I have first inquired on the website of Grossmith about the fragrance and of course here. It seems to be composed of high quality ingredients and you can smell it - as far as I dare to judge as a layman. 1909 is also an announcement and probably the original smelled then but again different (what I'm not curious). The fragrance pyramid doesn't read too badly, but it's a century away from "modern" fabrics or a modern composition. The Parfuma will have read here more often this pyramid and possibly thought of Guerlain.

Let's prepare the fragrance cocktail times..
First, the opening: Starts extremely citrusy, but weeeeit away from fresh! and at the same time already musty old-fashioned and yes, unfortunately, also slightly badreinigäßig, which wants to make on "natural". The target group is probably 50 years older than me. But with mid-80 I clean my bathroom no longer, I'm glad if I can stand straight without stick.

The full-bodied middle: an opulent variety of flowers mates here wet cheerful, takes no account of different genes and yes, still musty old-fashioned. The powdery iris is quite dominant here, the others do not let themselves down and mix in the background.

The base I have not experienced more, I was too weak in my younger years and had to admit defeat. The fragrance has more stamina than me or 10 men.

Cocktail is half-baked, vigorously shaken, not stirred.

Shem-El-Nessim is headache candidate of the finest variety, he can secure for himself place 1. But I really can't blame Grossmith for that. The fragrance is not made for me at all, not even for my mother and probably no longer for my grandma (to the opinion of my grandma to "strong" fragrances, there will be another blog).

Now the tear down to the extreme: The toilet paper sheet did not end up in the trash can as originally planned, because that's where it could have done its mischief, it ended up in the toilet and was flushed right away. The sewer cleaners will certainly be happy about the citrus top note!

Sorry to all lovers - is purely subjective.

I was the secret lover of Marie Antoinette
I am having that experience!
I was the secret lover of Marie Antoinette and entered her room last night.
Now, the next day, it is the day she died.
And I am after that sad hour and all I can remember in my horror is her smell.
Or, saying better, our smell, hers and mine, mixed in my body odor, the geranium and the orris root mixing molecules will be my memory of the night I said goodbye to Marie Antoinette.

(this is the only perfume I have tested that I believe allows me to know how perfumery was once; it induced my museum delirium described above)

The here and now
So have to smell Arabian nights, in any case I can imagine very, very well.

So opulent, almost turgid, luxurious, powdery, pleasantly sweet, heat radiating, forgetting everything, and only I be in the here and now.
The scent turned me to once again the head. So infatuatingly beautiful he wraps me.
It is an immersion in another world.

I'll have to share a good "Little", what I have of this masterly work, me.
For the "Big" experience may I say many thanks to the donor.

DorothyGraceDorothyGrace 6 years ago
Absolute powder bomb on my skin with a faint bright floral undercurrent. Dry, earthy, starchy, dusty powder. Very nice but just like talc.

Discussions about Shem-el-Nessim (Eau de Parfum)

by RomanaFrangi
by RomanaFrangi
by Turandot
by Turandot
by Jifat
by Jifat

Popular Grossmith

Hasu-no-Hana (Eau de Parfum) by Grossmith Phũl-Nãnã (Eau de Parfum) by Grossmith Hasu-no-Hana (Perfume) by Grossmith Betrothal (2011) (Eau de Parfum) by Grossmith Diamond Jubilee Bouquet by Grossmith Golden Chypre by Grossmith Floral Veil by Grossmith Shem-el-Nessim (Perfume) by Grossmith Phũl-Nãnã (Parfum) by Grossmith Amelia by Grossmith Saffron Rose by Grossmith Sylvan Song by Grossmith Betrothal (2011) (Perfume) by Grossmith Paris Rose by Grossmith Old Cottage Lavender by Grossmith White Lilac by Grossmith Lily of the Valley by Grossmith Lavender Water by Grossmith English Freesia by Grossmith English Violet by Grossmith