Envy (1997) Eau de Toilette

Envy (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci
Bottle Design: Tom Ford

Envy (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Gucci for women and was released in 1997. The scent is floral-green. The production was apparently discontinued.

Maurice Roucel

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Freesia, Magnolia, Peach, Pineapple
Heart Notes Heart NotesHyacinth, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Rose, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Iris, Cedarwood, Oakmoss, Sandalwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 30.05.2019

Floral imitation.
Why is this called Envy? Should it inspire envy? Symbolize envy? Should I value envy? Sounds much more like a Calvin Klein fragrance wanna-be name, but I bought it, so who’s to say the marketing didn’t work? No. 19 is a sharp green floral, PR Metal is a flinty green floral, Alliage is a cool green floral. Envy is a sour green floral. Bitter works wonderfully in perfume, hence all the great leathers and chypres. Sour is another story entirely. Sour, as in acidic, can add balance to food, but doesn’t really have a comparable place in fragrance. It’s sort of like coffee in that respect. Bitter coffee is an ideal, sour coffee is a shame.

But the sourness here adds a bit of fruit that ties together the green and white florals and makes the whole thing soapy, if a bit cold. I wear it occasionally, and, interestingly, this is one of the few fragrances that people smell on me (a man) and comment positively on. I think sour reads to some people as a sibling tone to the popular “fresh” and “sport.”

I come back to this one occasionally, but I’ve never really grown fond of it. It is an insecticide-like floral, with references to floral notes but not the feel of bloom to it. I think it is the soapiness that makes me not write it off, but I can’t say it is an enjoyable fragrance.
7.5 10.0 4.0/10

I Became Green with Envy
Gucci ENVY edt opens propitiously with patches of lily of the valley peppering pastures of springtime grass gently swaying in the breeze. Fresh and clean, green without the mean. If I could call a halt to the trajectory of this fragrance at about the thirty-minute mark, we would be best friends.

Unfortunately, what ensues is a metamorphosis into a synthetic-smelling drydown, as though the flowers became frozen in motion through a process of plastification, and the grass suddenly hardened to artificial turf. These disturbingly sturdy components may well last for eternity--or until the wearer decides to take a vigorous bath, whichever comes first!

With such a splendid array of notes, I had high hopes for ENVY, especially when I found out that it was a floral green which I had somehow neglected for so many years. Now it becomes clear, however, that it wasn't meant to be. The reason is as plain as can be: ENVY does not like my skin or me!
5.0 7.5 7.0/10

Modern green floral
I don't usually like fresh, green scents, however in this situation I really enjoyed wearing Envy.

Upon first application, Envy is very green and quite refreshing. The fruits balance themselves out nicely along with the magnolia and freesia. Thankfully pineapple is a subtle note here, because with most perfumes pineapple likes to rear its ugly head and cause me to dislike a scent.

As the fragrance settles on the skin it becomes increasingly grassy, but not sharp like Chanel No.19. Envy is tame and polite, it doesn't like to make a loud, obtrusive statement.

Envy feels very modern for its time. Its slight metallic-like quality captivates me. Although Envy is something that I probably wouldn't wear, I am very intrigued by it. Envy fascinated me from the very beginning to the very end.

The lasting strength is average, if not a little better than average. Like I mentioned before this isn't a particularly strong scent, so I'd say it is fairly intimate. A green floral that I do surprisingly recommend.

by Ginger
by Rehbaby
by Viola8
by Viola8

Popular Gucci

Gucci pour Homme II (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Gucci pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Rush by Gucci Guilty (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Envy for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme by Gucci Guilty pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Flora by Gucci (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Gucci by Gucci pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Gucci by Gucci (Eau de Parfum) by Gucci Bloom (Eau de Parfum) by Gucci Gucci Eau de Parfum by Gucci Bamboo (Eau de Parfum) by Gucci Envy (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Gucci Première (Eau de Parfum) by Gucci Rush 2 by Gucci Guilty Black by Gucci Gucci by Gucci Sport pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Made to Measure (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Gucci Eau de Parfum II by Gucci