Envy for Men (1998)Eau de Toilette

Envy for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci

Top 42 in Men's Perfume
Envy for Men (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Gucci for men and was released in 1998. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It was last marketed by Scannon.

Daniela Andrier

Top Notes Top NotesCoriander, Mandarin, Pepper, Rosewood
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Jasmine, Rose, Sandalwood
Base Notes Base NotesLeather, Patchouli, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 07.08.2020.

Designer envy
I don't often get a chance to review discontinued scents that have such a storied reputation as this one. Luckily people's generosity knows no bounds and i could get my nose on this one. Hope you enjoy the review and find it helpful.

Ginger sensation
Such beautiful, nuanced and interesting fragrances are no longer produced in the designer sector. These were designers who would make a large number of today's niche fragrances look old.

A wonderful ginger sensation, Envy opens with it and gradually mandarin orange, sandalwood and a very subtle smoke are added. A wonderfully fresh, tangy-sweet start that gets creamier and deeper and ends up slightly powdery. Simply a very inviting, beautiful composition

Smellavision
Gingery incense with cedar and nutmeg...
Really nice and enjoyable, but IMO not the holy grail that everyone keeps saying. Longevity is great. Warm, woody and musky.

That being said, it's rather formal and not something you'd wear to work or at the movies. Be warned though, not much development going on here, rather linear fragrance. Really good stuff, but try it before you waste insane amounts on a bottle from the Bay, which seems to be one of the last places to get your hands on this discontinued pleaser. At the original price of 40$ this was decently priced, but now...

If you're looking for something with a similar vibe, I'd recommend Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense.
Morpheus1
Egyptian mainstream designer at moon prices
In my 2 years of parfumo activity, I have learned a lot about fragrances and tested many things
At first you think this fragrance is the holy grail. Everyone wants it, it's coveted and expensive.
That's what I thought at first too.

But in the end it is not about having something in his collection for others,
but to find his own style and show individuality.
After all, you don't have to chase every trend, not even with fragrances.

Here they tried to create a spicy green fragrance at the end of the 90s with modern elements for the new millennium These elements are flowers and leather.

If you've had a taste of the real vintage classic world of the 80s, this Envy looks relatively normal He's okay, but he's not the greatest scent hit

For me his composition unfortunately does not work:

The flowers, especially the rose, mixed with leather are alarming in my nose Somehow I don't like the green Envy that much, it has something bitter-sweet-acidic that doesn't harmonize very well with or even through the green spice parts.

It is slightly sweet, but above all strongly floral and leathery. That doesn't go together very well in my nose. Vanilla is very subtle in the background. A very mature, strong, loud fragrance for men from 40-50+ one might think. A slight old baking is not to be denied.

To wear this fragrance at the age of 20 to 30 years would seem ridiculous and inappropriate to me, just to follow a trend.

In conclusion, it is definitely not worth 400€ / 100ml.
Osbornecox
ENVY seems to be very popular...
I bought a bottle around 2003. I liked the scent, but I still used it very rarely. About ten years later I threw away the cube together with some other old scents. It stood unmoved in the cupboard and occupied storage space. What do you want with a perfume you don't use? Sell it? For 5,- € I did not want to give myself the effort.
I didn't know...!
That's the way it is. The personal esteem in connection with a topic increases, hobbyism is triggered, one is interested and learns about it and already a product is mystified. Now everything is collected beautifully.
Joaquin
Best perfume in the world
A day without Envy is a lost day.
This perfume is more than the sum of its parts.
It's an event.

End of statement.

"The following errors have occurred: Please enter a slightly more detailed text (at least 200 characters) or write a statement."""

No! It's all said and done.
400 € for a 100ml bottle - that says a lot
After reading all the comments here, I wanted to join the disciples.
It's a shame Envy wasn't produced any more. Rumor has it Tom Ford split from Gucci's main brand and took his recipe with him. Somehow it doesn't quite match his shares in the company, but due to the fact that he now has his own perfume brand, I suspect the recipe was torn apart in the air by both parties during the spin-off, or aliens stole it.
No matter what speculations are circulating here - the fact is: this perfume is worth putting on a pedestal.
Here's my story:
Towards the end of the production period Envy was still available at Douglas. I, who liked to wear Dior Addict and Gucci Rush, once again went to a Douglas to give myself hope for a new perfume. At the end of the round I made a bow and ran past the men's scents and there she stabbed me with her at that time unusual color and bottle shape with this massive lid in the eye. I thought, what's this? So I went there, dressed like magic, and tried it on. The salesgirl looked at me in amazement, but in the moment when the scent went through my nose to the furthest corners, I forgot everything around me. Grabbed the packed bottle and went with it to the checkout.
Now from there on, that was my perfume. My number one. Followed by Dior Addict that I hardly take today.
The really amazing thing about this fragrance is that it adapts to the wearer. I gave it to some of my male friends for testing. With them a tangy woody tiger from the jungle spread out - typically male. For me, this fragrance is transformed into sandalwood, confectionery and lemon. And it holds out, it holds out more and longer than so many high-priced neighbors and even longer than my recently purchased "Noir" from Tom Ford. Once a month on the coat 2-3 sprayers and that is enough.
Normally I like spicy, woody vanilla scents with a hint of mandarin, but not too much. This is the big exception.
To come back again to the term "Not of this world":
Fitness studio, summer, heat, sweat reactivate this scent when it is applied to the décolleté and it mixes with everything your body emits - and it smells even better. (Just think of the old advertisement for this fragrance)

Too bad Envy is no longer produced. There is unfortunately nothing comparable.
Also his Dupe of Larise smells too masculine to me, musky.

Who has the money to put 400 € into this perfume, congratulations on the purchase, use it sparingly, the unicorn.
Farneon
You smell so good ... envy allowed!
Well, now I dare something! :-) I give (so I think) for the first time 10 points for a fragrance! It's a shame you can't buy it anymore. I was probably lucky with a pretty cheap eBay deal ... the rest is a love story, although it only started a few days ago!

"Envy actually has what it takes to become my signature scent. I went to the cinema with him on the weekend, immediately received a compliment ("What are you wearing today?") and bathed in my own Sillage during the film. I didn't give a damn if I'd put on too much. I just thought to myself (the movie was quite boring): "Man, what do you smell good!"

What actually always frightens me off by a scent is leather. However, I don't consciously perceive this here, so everything is (more than) in order. The rest is a combination that I consider unique and have never smelt before: masculine, seductive, spicy, woody, paired with a gentle spiciness and balsamic base. I don't want to go into too much detail: I can hardly imagine a more beautiful fragrance for the moment!

The result: I am really happy! :-) I still have a sample box with 15 scents, which arrived today, and I don't want to try it out any further. For now, that's obvious, but it's been four days now. From now on every new fragrance will have an extremely hard time competing against "Envy". Let's see what else Daniela Andrier, unknown to me so far, has conjured up ..

overrated
I love Envy, actually it was my signature fragrance when it was released. I had 2 bottles, the yellowish green and the reformulated electric green juice. First formulation was better.

But even with all the nostalgia I will not re-buy this fragrance. It's hard to get and the prices are just ridiculous.

If you're not an Arab prince don't bother seeking this fragrance out, you can get so many better colognes at a fair price right now. One example will be Bentley Intense.

Performances are just average and the compliment factor is pretty low, to be honest. The vintage snobs will say this is a holly grail, just because they have it and you don't.

So don't believe the hype, and just forget about Envy.
RIP

MasterLi
A discontinued emerald green jewel of a fragrance...
What a fantastic fragrance this was! A spicy oriental full of ginger, incense, cedarwood and sandalwood... and a gorgeous smell to match! The very definition of an oriental with woods!

Stylish bottle, classic green juice... a prominent incense vibe. In my mind this is like standing in the middle of a Chinese Temple... sandalwood and jasmine incense burning, an almost menthol-like aroma of Chinese herbs and spices. Envy for Men opened up with incense and sandalwood, followed by lavender, ginger, pepper, cardamom and coriander seed. With a sweet & spicy amber and vanilla drydown in the base. What wasn't there to like? It had everything you could want from an oriental for men! Class, sophistication, a faint aura of mystery & seduction... this is more than most fragrances can offer thesedays!

It really is a shame that Gucci discontinued all the outstanding and daring work Tom Ford produced whilst he had full creative control of the company. He built Gucci up like a Phoenix from it's ashes, and now it has lost what set it apart from other designer brands. It lost it's bold creativity and most of all, it's uniqueness in terms of fragrances.

This is a gem of a fragrance, and I will cherish what little I have left of this juice in memory of this once great brand. R.I.P. Envy... you sexy green devil!

NageNage 3 years ago
My favorite for ever and ever.
The 8th liquid marvelous.

Gucci - Envy for Men (1998) | Envy is green
by DemonHead
by DemonHead
by Adnansaziz
by Adnansaziz
by Irini
Gucci - Envy for Men (1998)
Envy is green - Gucci Envy for Men
by Romy1050
by Nage
by Nage

Popular Gucci

Gucci Intense Oud by Gucci Gucci pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Gucci pour Homme II (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Nobile (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Gucci Eau de Parfum by Gucci L'Arte di Gucci (Eau de Parfum) by Gucci Tears of Iris by Gucci Gucci № 3 (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Gucci № 1 (Eau de Parfum) by Gucci Guilty Intense (Eau de Parfum) by Gucci Accenti (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme by Gucci Gucci by Gucci (Eau de Parfum) by Gucci Envy (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Gucci pour Homme (1976) (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Rush for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Eau de Gucci by Gucci Rush by Gucci Bloom (Eau de Parfum) by Gucci The Virgin Violet by Gucci