Envy for Men (1998)Eau de Toilette

Envy for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci

Envy for Men (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Gucci for men and was released in 1998. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It was last marketed by Scannon.

Daniela Andrier

Top Notes Top NotesCoriander, Mandarin, Pepper, Rosewood
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Jasmine, Rose, Sandalwood
Base Notes Base NotesLeather, Patchouli, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 10.12.2019.

Osbornecox
ENVY seems to be very popular...
I bought a bottle around 2003. I liked the scent, but I still used it very rarely. About ten years later I threw away the cube together with some other old scents. It stood unmoved in the cupboard and occupied storage space. What do you want with a perfume you don't use? Sell it? For 5,- € I did not want to give myself the effort.
I didn't know...!
That's the way it is. The personal esteem in connection with a topic increases, hobbyism is triggered, one is interested and learns about it and already a product is mystified. Now everything is collected beautifully.
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Joaquin
Best perfume in the world
A day without Envy is a lost day.
This perfume is more than the sum of its parts.
It's an event.

End of statement.

"The following errors have occurred: Please enter a slightly more detailed text (at least 200 characters) or write a statement."""

No! It's all said and done.
6.0 8.0 10.0 9.5/10

400 € for a 100ml bottle - that says a lot
After reading all the comments here, I wanted to join the disciples.
It's a shame Envy wasn't produced any more. Rumor has it Tom Ford split from Gucci's main brand and took his recipe with him. Somehow it doesn't quite match his shares in the company, but due to the fact that he now has his own perfume brand, I suspect the recipe was torn apart in the air by both parties during the spin-off, or aliens stole it.
No matter what speculations are circulating here - the fact is: this perfume is worth putting on a pedestal.
Here's my story:
Towards the end of the production period Envy was still available at Douglas. I, who liked to wear Dior Addict and Gucci Rush, once again went to a Douglas to give myself hope for a new perfume. At the end of the round I made a bow and ran past the men's scents and there she stabbed me with her at that time unusual color and bottle shape with this massive lid in the eye. I thought, what's this? So I went there, dressed like magic, and tried it on. The salesgirl looked at me in amazement, but in the moment when the scent went through my nose to the furthest corners, I forgot everything around me. Grabbed the packed bottle and went with it to the checkout.
Now from there on, that was my perfume. My number one. Followed by Dior Addict that I hardly take today.
The really amazing thing about this fragrance is that it adapts to the wearer. I gave it to some of my male friends for testing. With them a tangy woody tiger from the jungle spread out - typically male. For me, this fragrance is transformed into sandalwood, confectionery and lemon. And it holds out, it holds out more and longer than so many high-priced neighbors and even longer than my recently purchased "Noir" from Tom Ford. Once a month on the coat 2-3 sprayers and that is enough.
Normally I like spicy, woody vanilla scents with a hint of mandarin, but not too much. This is the big exception.
To come back again to the term "Not of this world":
Fitness studio, summer, heat, sweat reactivate this scent when it is applied to the décolleté and it mixes with everything your body emits - and it smells even better. (Just think of the old advertisement for this fragrance)

Too bad Envy is no longer produced. There is unfortunately nothing comparable.
Also his Dupe of Larise smells too masculine to me, musky.

Who has the money to put 400 € into this perfume, congratulations on the purchase, use it sparingly, the unicorn.
8.0 9.0 9.0 10.0/10

Farneon
You smell so good ... envy allowed!
Well, now I dare something! :-) I give (so I think) for the first time 10 points for a fragrance! It's a shame you can't buy it anymore. I was probably lucky with a pretty cheap eBay deal ... the rest is a love story, although it only started a few days ago!

"Envy actually has what it takes to become my signature scent. I went to the cinema with him on the weekend, immediately received a compliment ("What are you wearing today?") and bathed in my own Sillage during the film. I didn't give a damn if I'd put on too much. I just thought to myself (the movie was quite boring): "Man, what do you smell good!"

What actually always frightens me off by a scent is leather. However, I don't consciously perceive this here, so everything is (more than) in order. The rest is a combination that I consider unique and have never smelt before: masculine, seductive, spicy, woody, paired with a gentle spiciness and balsamic base. I don't want to go into too much detail: I can hardly imagine a more beautiful fragrance for the moment!

The result: I am really happy! :-) I still have a sample box with 15 scents, which arrived today, and I don't want to try it out any further. For now, that's obvious, but it's been four days now. From now on every new fragrance will have an extremely hard time competing against "Envy". Let's see what else Daniela Andrier, unknown to me so far, has conjured up ..
7.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

Morpheus1
The green finish or all just jealous noses?
That's him, one of the 4 big guccis, actually 3 if you omit Rush for Men.

GPH1, Envy for Men and Gucci Nobile.
All three are great scents. An incense bomb, the sweetish ripe rose leather and the green men's classic.

But is Envy also as good as described here?
Today I compared all 3 again.

The flowers, especially rose, mixed with old strong leather smell are sounding the alarm in my nose.
Somehow I don't like the green Envy so much, he has something slightly stabbing at the beginning. Maybe the top notes of my minis have also tilted. It is also possible that my Mini has been reduced to the main components and only reproduces them strongly.

It is slightly sweet, but above all strongly floral leathery. It doesn't go so well together in my nose. Vanilla is very discreet in the background. A very mature, strong, loud fragrance for men from 40-50+ might be thought. A slight old bakedness cannot be denied.

I don't smell green, fresh woodiness at all. Unfortunately also no mandarin in the prelude.

I've been arguing with him for a long time and won't buy him, because he doesn't suit me.

Nevertheless I rate the fragrance highly, because it deserves the recognition.

The durability is unbeatable
7.0/10

overrated
I love Envy, actually it was my signature fragrance when it was released. I had 2 bottles, the yellowish green and the reformulated electric green juice. First formulation was better.

But even with all the nostalgia I will not re-buy this fragrance. It's hard to get and the prices are just ridiculous.

If you're not an Arab prince don't bother seeking this fragrance out, you can get so many better colognes at a fair price right now. One example will be Bentley Intense.

Performances are just average and the compliment factor is pretty low, to be honest. The vintage snobs will say this is a holly grail, just because they have it and you don't.

So don't believe the hype, and just forget about Envy.
RIP
10.0 5.0 7.5 9.0/10

MasterLi
A discontinued emerald green jewel of a fragrance...
What a fantastic fragrance this was! A spicy oriental full of ginger, incense, cedarwood and sandalwood... and a gorgeous smell to match! The very definition of an oriental with woods!

Stylish bottle, classic green juice... a prominent incense vibe. In my mind this is like standing in the middle of a Chinese Temple... sandalwood and jasmine incense burning, an almost menthol-like aroma of Chinese herbs and spices. Envy for Men opened up with incense and sandalwood, followed by lavender, ginger, pepper, cardamom and coriander seed. With a sweet & spicy amber and vanilla drydown in the base. What wasn't there to like? It had everything you could want from an oriental for men! Class, sophistication, a faint aura of mystery & seduction... this is more than most fragrances can offer thesedays!

It really is a shame that Gucci discontinued all the outstanding and daring work Tom Ford produced whilst he had full creative control of the company. He built Gucci up like a Phoenix from it's ashes, and now it has lost what set it apart from other designer brands. It lost it's bold creativity and most of all, it's uniqueness in terms of fragrances.

This is a gem of a fragrance, and I will cherish what little I have left of this juice in memory of this once great brand. R.I.P. Envy... you sexy green devil!

art direction
I've dogged Tom Ford's perfumes. I'm not a great fan of his eponymous perfume line, but on smelling Gucci Envy for Men, something clicked.  The Gucci perfumes of the Ford era were a first rate line of designer perfumes and are a testament to the value of art direction.

Gucci Rush is a pitch-perfect modern example of the pursuit of beauty in classical perfumery. It's gorgeous, it stops you in your tracks, it makes you think.

I have a love-hate relationship with Gucci Envy, but then again I hold ambiguity in very high regard. A perfume that polarizes opinions points to a strong artistic voice. One that splits an individual’s own opinions is ingenious.

Gucci pour Homme I (Michel Almairac, 2003) was a thoughtful, beautiful perfume released at a time of big perfume ad campaigns followed by even bigger yawns. I doubt that a Gucci perfume was launched without a high degree of gloss, but in this case the proof was in the pudding. In fact, whether GpH I started the trend of beautiful woody incense perfumes for men, it certainly became the leader of the trend mainstream market.

Gucci Eau de Parfum and Gucci Eau de Parfum II reflect a brilliant strategy of letting the blandness of the market serve as a backdrop. Seen against a group-think market of women’s perfumes in the 1990s, they stand out both for ingenuity and for their beauty.

Gucci Eau de Parfum is a strikingly simple floral Oriental writ large that rose above the monochromatic mob of syrupy gourmands. It offered an old-school animalic quality to women who had been lead to believe that the height of beauty was to smell like a cupcake, sprinkles and all.

Gucci Eau de Parfum II was a subversive little beauty that infiltrated the fruity-floral genre, skipping the spoonful of sugar in favor of a tart woodiness. Gucci edp II has none of the frivolity and triteness typically associated with the genre. Its pokerface and assuredness give it a character more like a classic woody such as Jean Patou 1000.

Envy for Men didn't bust down any walls, and unless quality comes as a surprise to you, it doesn't shock. It's the spicy, woody, resinous perfume equivalent of a Russian male choir. A large range is covered, but the rumbling bass is what I remember. A lot has been made of its nutmeg and ginger notes being its defining attributes, but like Givenchy Insénsé, whose floral notes have been touted as the reason for the perfume's failure to breech the men's market, the note isn't the coup de grace. Beauty is.

Many men fear unadulterated, or better, unmodulated beauty, and despite its nominal set of 'masculine' notes (lavender, cedar, incense, amber...) Envy for Men is luxuriously beautiful. It's like many of the Amouage masculines such as Gold Man (1983) and Dia pour Homme (2002) where the goal is explicitly for a man to smell beautiful. The litany of questions that often curtail men actually wearing a perfume are irrelevant. (Is it an 'office scent'? Does it broadcast easy identification with your cohort? Could it be perceived as feminine?). If you look closely, Envy for Men easily passes masculine muster, and should assuage the fear behind these questions. It should simply have been seen as a handsome, distinctive entry into the market. But men's deep-seated fear of appearing beautiful trumps the rest, and, despite something of a cult following, Envy for men has gone the way of much of the other Ford era Guccis. It's been discontinued.

Perfume fans follow the work of individual perfumers. Why not branch out a bit and follow the work of the art director? If the perfumer can be likened to the director in film, the art director is somewhere between the film producer (eg. Serge Lutens) and the art curator (eg. Frédéric Malle.) Larger-scale commercial perfumery relies on a consensus model that defines creativity very narrowly.

The Gucci line of the Ford era is similar to the Estée Lauder perfumes made during Lauder’s time. The ridiculous lie of the Lauder line during Estee Lauder's lifetime was that she made each of her perfumes herself. Lauder was known for producing a spectacular line that didn’t shy away from polarizing opinion. Azurée, Knowing, Aliage, Estée. And her perfumes for men, principally in the Aramis line, are still the best compilation of masculine fragrances from a large commercial cosmetic/perfume producer. If she had openly proclaimed herself as an art director of the line, she'd have beaten Lutens and Malle to the punch by decades.

If you're interested in looking at perfume from the perspective of the art director instead of the perfumer or an entire line, take a look at the Gucci perfumes by Tom Ford. Some are discontinued, and some are still in production, but they're all fairly easy to find.
5.0 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

Good Ginger...
I originally shunned this when I tried it a decade ago... That was a big mistake, as it actually is a great spicy oriental with ginger as a primary note. I may prefer Floris Eau de Santal and Eau de Santal Extreme that have a similar dry-down, but Gucci was first and deserves credit for paving the way... Oh, and it smells great in its own right. Those who enjoy ginger based spicy orientals can stop here after trying this one. 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5.
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Envious that this is not marketed to women
I bought this fragrance just the other day when I was out shopping for a cologne for my boyfriend. I had tested many male scents that day, however this one stood out amongst the rest.

To be completely honest, I think I liked this fragrance because I could see myself wearing it. It had this alluring, dark and spicy sweetness that captivated me almost immediately.

The sales assistant actually agreed with me that this fragrance could easily be unisex on the right woman. I believe that I am the woman that can succeed in wearing Envy.

Envy for Men opens with peppery orange, lavendar and rich mahogany. The top notes also have a slight menthol smell which is possibly brought to mind due to the intense green colour of the juice itself. The ginger is really lovely in this fragrance as in most cases ginger can make or break a scent.

In the heart the sweetness becomes more apparent with the carnation, jasmine and rose hinting that this fragrance is suitable for women as well.

The drydown is amazing. Vanilla, incense, patchouli, amber and tobacco creating a smokey and almost exotic scent. It is a delight to snuggle up to someone wearing this fragrance as it is both soothing and arousing.

I had every intention of giving this fragrance to my boyfriend for his birthday, however now I seem to be changing my mind. I am almost decided on keeping this fragrance for myself and finding him something else to wear or suggesting to him that we could possibly share.

Nage 3 years ago
My favorite for ever and ever.
The 8th liquid marvelous.+1
10.0

Gucci - Envy for Men (1998) | Envy is green
by DemonHead
by DemonHead
by Irini
Gucci - Envy for Men (1998)
Envy is green - Gucci Envy for Men
by Romy1050
by Nage
by Nage

Popular Gucci

Gucci pour Homme II (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Gucci pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Rush by Gucci Guilty (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme by Gucci Guilty pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Mémoire d'une Odeur by Gucci Gucci by Gucci pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Flora by Gucci (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Gucci by Gucci (Eau de Parfum) by Gucci Bloom (Eau de Parfum) by Gucci Bamboo (Eau de Parfum) by Gucci Gucci Eau de Parfum by Gucci Envy (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Gucci Première (Eau de Parfum) by Gucci Rush 2 by Gucci Guilty Black by Gucci Gucci Intense Oud by Gucci Made to Measure (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Gucci by Gucci Sport pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci