Rush by Gucci
Bottle Design: Tom Ford

Rush is a perfume by Gucci for women and was released in 1999. The scent is floral-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Coty.

Michel Almairac

Top Notes Top NotesFreesia, Gardenia, Peach
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Coriander, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 08.10.2019

6.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

Rosaviola
The red Lego brick of the child woman
I got to know Rush through the comments here and got a bottle of Rush ( as so often...).
That was about three years ago. I often take a very long time to get to know a fragrance until I write a comment.
Rush is still in my collection, same bottle.
The bottle itself is bright red and rather ugly, but very handy, fits even in the tightest, overfilled perfume chest of drawers and is definitely recognizable.
Also it forms a certain contrast - the hard, unplayful bottle to the feminine fragrance.

Rush is a very feminine fragrance, as just mentioned. A light-blooded scent with a bit of fruit, but still never too sweet.
This femininity corresponds rather to that of a young woman, lolita-like, roe-eyed, tender. A woman, tender with an innocent look, who attracts men with her big eyes and apparent fragility and awakens the protective instinct. I'm sure he would have fitted in well with Kate Moss in the '90s
Rush has a bright, flowery scent character, innocent and yet erotic.
I perceive the top notes most strongly with the light freesia, with gardenia and some peach. Afterwards some jasmine can be recognized and a hint of fresh rose with a light apple note behind it. The whole thing never gets too sweet or too fruity. I can't recognize coriander directly here, perhaps it gives a light, gentle spiciness, a breeze only.

Rush should not be dosed too much, otherwise it can easily appear artificial. He seems really nice on me when he's discreetly dosed. All in all, Rush is a well-done fragrance that older people can also wear well - you don't have to be a Lolita to it! I'm thinking about buying another bottle of it.

Niche cellophane
It has a presence around the shops at this time of year; Mother's Day next weekend. On me it smells like unwrapping an Apple Computer, niche cellophane. Sorry, no love towards it.

Hot and bothered
I am hopelessly in lust with Gucci Rush. It really stands apart from other fragrances. It is not trying to be something else.
The sweet, fruity candy powder and flowers melt together, and pack the first punch. Then they effortlessly give way to the hazy patchouli to create a sugary, spicy drydown.
It is totally carnal and provocative - no soft innocence here. Spicy, sensual, hot and ready, daring, unique, in-your-face, unapologetic.
You will either be completely, utterly taken...or not. It is worth finding out!

jtd
Meandering anthropomorphizing of a perfume. Great perfume, though.
There’s nothing I can add to the comments I’ve read about how this smells. Hairspray, lactones, patchouli, non-existent flowers, bubblegum, poppers. All true.

It’s the feeling, though. There’s not even an attempt to tether this thing to anything actually botanical. Natural and chemical are words I tend not to use, because what do they mean? Nature, as we use it discussing the environment, has no meaning whatsoever when you look at it. And what matter isn’t chemical? That said, Rush’s value is that it is unnatural and chemical. And altogether unapologetic. And all the better for it.

If this is a signature scent, I pity the people close to the wearer. This is definitively an occasional scent. It is loud, cruisy, intolerant and laughs incessantly. This is the Dionysus of perfume. It’s also monotonous, not in the sense of humdrum, but of hitting one note, and one note only, endlessly. There is very little evolution in time with this one, but why should it be otherwise? Who wants a party to end? All credit to Tania Sanchez for describing this as both large-scale outdoor art and intended for a night out. That’s the best characterization I can imagine for this baby. Ultimately, though, the night-on–the-town analogy gives with one hand and takes with the other. Yes, Rush is the life of the party. Absolutely. We’re all drawn to her when she arrives. But she’s also the sitter. The last one at the party, dancing drink-in-hand by herself while everyone else has left.

Wonderful.
7.5 10.0 6.0/10

Neither Compelling Nor Abhorrent
My initial impression of Gucci RUSH was of an oriental vanilla perfume. Completely innocuous and likeable. The patchouli creeps in slowly and does not seem too loud at all to me (as some reviewers have complained...). But perhaps my patchouli receptors were permanently paralyzed during my testing of ANGEL.

In any case, I am surprised by the polarized reviews of this perfume. This appears to be another one of those great debate scents (like ANGEL) which inspires equal parts adulation and abhorrence. Somehow I fall in between on this one. Gucci RUSH seems pleasant and wearable, if not particularly memorable or distinctive, to me.

I can see that it might overwhelm with overapplication, but the solution to that problem is to follow this simple prescription: Apply half as much as you did the first time. If it's still too overwhelming, cut it in half again... ad infinitum. I realize that at the end of the series some will find--with their true fragrance bêtes noires--that the amount they are able to apply is immeasurably small...

Given the strong reactions against Gucci RUSH (both here and elsewhere), I'd surmise that skin chemistry plays an important role in how the composition plays out on any given wearer...
10.0 7.5 4.0/10

As tacky as the bottle it comes in
Bizarre is the first word that comes to mind when describing Gucci Rush.

I'm actually quite familiar with this fragrance, my childhood dance teacher used to wear it as her signature. To me, Rush conjures up memories from the past. It's the smell of lipstick, hairspray, various cosmetics and hair curlers.

Gucci Rush does however smells wonderful on smokers. The smokey tobacco tends to blend wonderfully with the plasticky, peachiness that is Gucci Rush.

However, without the tobacco, this fragrance is a nightmare. Oddly enough I find that if I continue to smell Rush I start liking it as my nose becomes accustomed to its unique smell, however if I leave it for 30 minutes and then go back to it, I'm back to disliking the scent.

It's either a love it or hate it. I personally dislike the tackyness of the packaging and the cheapness of the fragrance itself. I'm usually pretty open-minded with unique fragrances, but in this particular case I am not.

This is what I'd describe as being the smell of melted lipstick meets tomato sauce. Odd, loud and nauseating, it seems to last a lifetime on my skin. Even harsh scrubbing can't kill this fragrance or help regain my sense of smell.
1.0/10

fruity vomit
Certain perfumes bring a mental image to mind. The image Rush brings to my mind: a pale 20-ish woman with greasy dark hair curled away from her face (Farrah Fawcett-style), smelling of cigarette smoke and vomited fruity drinks, wearing jeans she has to lie down to zip, talking too loudly in the parking lot of a dance club because she's drunk and can't tell how loud she is. If I had to work next to someone who wore this, I'd consider paying them to wear something else. When I have a sample of a fragrance, I always try it at least twice on different days, but I couldn't bear a second try on this one. (050609)

pixi sticks
This smells like Fun Dip or PixiStix.
This is a cool powder being both sweet AND tart at the same time.
It is fairly linear and reminds me of My Insolence.
It's a manic depressive frag and I would like to eventually buy a small bottle

by Kwad
by AmyAmy
by Arlufkin
by Arlufkin

Popular Gucci

Gucci pour Homme II (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Gucci pour Homme (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Rush by Gucci Guilty (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Envy for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme by Gucci Guilty pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Gucci by Gucci pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Flora by Gucci (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Gucci by Gucci (Eau de Parfum) by Gucci Bloom (Eau de Parfum) by Gucci Mémoire d'une Odeur by Gucci Bamboo (Eau de Parfum) by Gucci Gucci Eau de Parfum by Gucci Envy (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Gucci Première (Eau de Parfum) by Gucci Rush 2 by Gucci Guilty Black by Gucci Made to Measure (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci Gucci by Gucci Sport pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Gucci