Angélique Noire (2005)

Angélique Noire by Guerlain

Top 13 in Unisex Perfume
Angélique Noire is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and men and was released in 2005. The scent is sweet-floral. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.
Scent goes well with Collection Extraordinaire - Orchidée Vanille

Daniela Andrier

Top Notes Top NotesAngelica seed, Pear, Pink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine sambac, Caraway
Base Notes Base NotesAngelica root, Vanilla, Cedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 18.05.2020.

Angeélique Noire is part of the collection "L'Art et la Matière".

Exclusive female beautician
What a beautiful, opulent and feminine scent, wonderful to dive in with your nose. Angelica root and this fine slightly smoky vanilla, which strikes me again and again in his spell ... i do not find it sweet rather very adult full-bodied, almost like a really good red wine. I have once tasted a red wine that matured in chestnut barrels was simply incredibly delicious and a fantastic taste. That's how I feel with this perfume, you can smell the high quality of the individual ingredients, very valuable. I don't think I need to mention that he's doing super well, do I? It also has something spicy about it, through the spices and the wood results in a very nice melange. A wonderful feminine perfume that paralyses almost every man in an elegant and sensual way. This fragrance house knows its trade. For this fragrance I imagine a woman who is conscious to have been born as a woman with all her beautiful facets and also dares to live them out. Empathetic, generous, a little crazy, with free will, a modern Amazon, this mother protects her children to the extreme, a lover par excellence, the best friend ever, oh I could enumerate 1000 more qualities, you know what I mean . I believe that you remain true to this fragrance for a very long time - for me one of the top ten ever. It makes us wonderful women even more beautiful, underlines our inner beauty very fine....
DerDefcon
The "fear" of the one fragrance
Before I dedicate myself to Guerlains "Exklusivling", I would like to express again my thanks to "Aika1547", who sent me these to test - beside three further interesting smells mind you -. I was very happy, because I am currently testing the expensive Maison Christian Dior series a little bit and Guerlain's "more exclusive" has also fixed me a little bit. Compare here, compare there and find that all of them are sinfully expensive. Nevertheless, there is the attraction of testing those fragrances on a "heart" and "base" basis, perhaps simply to expand one's own horizon of fragrances a little.
Speaking from the base, I immediately come to the fragrance that prevails here. We are talking about vanilla, which is thick and bold in the fragrance pyramid - and rightly so, by the way. Before my skin is completely wetted by this exclusive composition, my nose is flattered by a very floral vanilla with a hint of green. The pear in the top note sinks a little here, but is perceptible. The pepper, on the other hand, is barely audible - so not worth mentioning.
I already have a bit of a jitters with such an offensive vanilla, because there are quite a lot of scents in which this scent devours and crushes everything. Do we also have to deal with this problem here? Let's have a look at the further course of the fragrance.

"Angélique Noire" is one of those fragrances in which it is not possible to have a strict structure of head, heart and base notes. Everything is immediately there and so we are dealing with a very authentic vanilla, which - despite the "fear" mentioned in the commentary title - does not strike us down, because floral notes, such as those of jasmine as well as slightly balsamic ones, due to the presence of the angelica root, wonderfully enclose it and curb its intensity. The dreaded, one-dimensional and in other fragrances unfortunately not seldom occurring vanilla broth is thereby put a stop to. The end result is a DNA that is sweet, but many a current "Kleberling", "diabetic causer", "sweet penetrancer" (exaggerating makes vivid), so what seems to be such a little fashion today is far superior. DNA's a classic. Some would perhaps even speak heretically of an "outdated" or outdated, a grandmotherly one, but even if all this may be a little bit true, I find their nature somehow refreshing, I compare it with current, not always quite so pleased, over-sweetened developments. And if there is one thing that "Angélique Noire" has in common with the current trends in vanilla fragrances (not all of them, of course), it is the really excellent durability and the more than just moderate Sillage. Therefore, please dose carefully, dear Parfumas. Yes, I have consciously chosen the female form, which has to do with the fact that I personally see this fragrance more on a mature woman than on a man, even though as a "Baccarat Rouge" wearer I am truly the last to set any gender boundaries.

So have a lot of fun with the "Exklusivling" from the house Guerlain, if you are ready, the necessary small change to berappen.

Angélique and caraway seeds
I already know that this fragrance was named after the medicinal and aromatic plant Angelica/Engelwurz.
But first the heroine in Anne Golon's novels comes to my mind; what did I devour and how many later on in "Harry Potter" did I look forward to the next volume.
In the lending library one needed already at that time some patience and my mum didn't like it that I read these novels: She didn't know these books, but in her opinion I was still too young!
Well, anyway: I will never forget my red cheeks and the excitement of reading.

What a series it was: "Angélique", "Angélique and the King", "Indomitable Angélique" and so on, until she finally found her Joffrey again at the end of the fifth volume "Angélique and Her Love".
How had the French king rushed her through Europe with his fanatical hatred until she and her children managed to escape from France via the Huguenot stronghold of La Rochelle.
Together with her only love, Count Joffrey de Peyrac, who was later persecuted by the French king and the clergy and burned at the stake when a feared pirate made the oceans unsafe, she had several adventures in America
Here we see once again, albeit exaggeratedly: Rejected men can be so cruel!

And the movies first! The racy Michelle Mercier embodied Anne Golon's novel character in such a way that, for me, both images still overlap: here, "non-fiction" and "fiction" - word and image - overlap Against this background for me "Angélique" is first of all redheaded and not "noire"!
(This works as little as I can imagine a blonde "camellia lady".)
But of course I took this hurdle with more or less bravura: Guerlain has created something very special again with "Angélique Noire".

The opening alone with the spice of the Angelica seed, which meets pears spiced quite well with pink pepper: surprising and attracting attention.
Already now there is a slight hint of caraway aroma - practically as a prelude to the further development of fragrance!
A beautiful, full-bloomed jasmine in mature beauty unfolds its aromatic power, but is put in its place by caraway.
A quite interesting fragrance development, but ...
Caraway, as much as I like it in the kitchen; it often causes me slight problems with fragrances.
Even the "Absolue pour le Soir" by MFK, so praised by the gentlemen here, doesn't really want to harmonize with my skin.
For me, caraway dominates both fragrances, so we have to get something together or go our separate ways in this relationship Please don't misunderstand: "Angélique Noire" is also for me a very refined fragrance!
The finale with vanilla and cedar wood is extremely successful; only the angelica root with its own touch of caraway is a bit strange for me!

Apparently "Absolue pour le Soir" and "Angélique Noire" have founded a WG in which they will not tolerate me!
The really extraordinary long durability lets the prickly, combative characteristic of the Kümmel "shine" for a long time!
If on my skin all the other scents seem to be only breathed along, the caraway aroma is still very active!

"Angélique Noire" is an all around successful scent composition; it doesn't matter that there is a fight "caraway vs. serenissima" here, where I stay on the track.
This is a highly personal sensation!

Angélique Noire' will therefore be able to continue its journey without regret; the filling is already in the basket of a perfumer.
I am curious about their experiences; but I still have to be patient a little bit.
We both still collect.

However, this test (it wasn't a failure!) did something: I'm going to follow the traces of passion and adventure tourism through the "Angélique" novels.
I'm very curious whether I'll be so captivated by this protagonist again after almost fifty years.
Unfortunately, the fragrance did not succeed!

Turandot
A gap in my collection - that must change again.
It's been eight years. The exclusive Guerlaindüfte was available as far as I know at that time in Germany only in Düsseldorf in the Breidenbacher Hof. So I took my pocket money and a bit of courage and drove through half of Germany to my first perfume meeting. Oh, that was nice! How did I enjoy staying overnight in a hotel that was too expensive, and also sniffing the scent of the big wide world. That was worth every Euro to me. I greet hereby all perfumos, with which I was allowed to swarm there in Duftorgien.

In the Breidenbacher Hof I enjoyed the excellent advice I had hoped for. I didn't know many of the exclusive guerilla scents yet and hoped to get an adequate replacement for my deeply mourned parure. The scent should be dark, mysterious but without kitsch, a little rough and brittle, it shouldn't fall into the house with the door, and it should be a perfume that I can celebrate and not just spray on as I pass by. So Angelique Noire came into my collection for the first time. I had wisely followed the advice I always gave my customers when they were looking for a substitute for a perfume: Don't look for a fragrance that smells similar - you'll always be disappointed. Find a fragrance that you like too. That one does not test then in opposite direction is clear and thus one becomes rather fndig and above all rather content with the result to be
At that time I still got one advice which I could not follow because of lack of money, because it was suggested to me to lay Angelique Noire with L' Heure Bleue! What I had considered a taboo was expressly recommended to me in the Guerlain temple of all places. Today it is clear to me that this also happened with the ulterior motive of turnover, but I actually tried it out later and see there: Angelique Noire, who otherwise seems a bit brittle, thereby reinforces his melancholic, romantic side and L'Heure Bleue becomes a bit more strict and straightforward. The fact that the fragrance thus gets such a similar inner glow as Parure cannot be denied by the hand. Nevertheless, I have mostly enjoyed every scent for itself alone.

Angelique was in my collection for some time and in the meantime I got to know and love other fragrances. The bottle was empty and did not have to be bought again immediately. But slowly I feel a longing for the warm, spicy and tender scent in the heart area, which nevertheless has a bitter and powerful effect on me. I think I'll at least put him back on the wish list. And whether with or without L'Heure Bleue, it's time to celebrate the old Guerlain treasures again. How nice that I now only have to make a detour to Munich.
Chocolate pear cabbage
Well, a friend's first reaction was, "you smell feminine!" You're right, the scent is more likely to smell of women. But I don't care. The fragrance is so beautiful that it is still worn by me!

The smell strongly reminds of a chocolate fondue eaten with pears. The sweetness is unmistakable, as is the fruity pear. What also arrives, however, is a certain green note. She'll clean it all up for me. No chocolate stains on the tablecloth, but a fresh washed cloth with good people around who don't lose the chocolate on their way to the mouth.

I imagine myself super also at men, with very formal occasions, with which one (n) can be simply times well-behaved and may.
Minou
Purchasing habits of the "common perfume" (lat. Parfumus normalus), or: "how I slowly went fragrance crazy"
I have four kinds of perfume purchases - and I'm sure you'll find yourselves in one kind or another.

First, there are the spontaneous purchases. Sprayed on and plugged in. Man, it was delicious! And then not so expensive. I wonder if it's tenable You'll see. And do you still like the base? I'm sure, if the head is already so tasty. Experience shows that I don't have any hands at all for this kind of purchases. The spontaneously purchased fragrances quickly find their place in the back of my perfume cupboard, so that I don't actually buy them anymore.

The second is repeat purchases. You're always keen on new fragrances, but there are these two, three fragrances that are ALWAYS bought as soon as the contents of the bottle run out. Aren't we all repeat offenders? It's also logical: the fragrance worn over and over again almost becomes part of the identity, well, at least of the "outfit", of the personal style. A dear greeting at this point to l'Ambre des Merveilles. I'll always have a place in my perfume cupboard for you.

The third type, and undoubtedly the most exciting, is blind buying! Once again half the afternoon surfing on Parfumo and filled the watchlist? Then checked the online shops and the souk? Oh, there's this fragrance on offer that really got off well in the review. And the scent pyramid sounds really promising. Costs and benefits are weighed. These are the fragrances I can't wait to get. This thrill shortly before the first spraying! Ambre Impérial, I'm already looking at you.

Let's come to the last category: The Longing Purchases. I test a fragrance, be it from a small sample tube or directly from the perfumery, and I fall in love with it. Take it easy. Again and again I come back in the perfumery to this smell and test spray. The longing is getting bigger and bigger. But it's quite expensive, I want to be absolutely sure before I buy it! When the fragrance is finally bought at auction, I already know it so well that it's like buying an old friend. It's incredibly satisfying to finally be able to spray the fragrance on at home.

Angélique Noire belongs to the category "longing purchases" for me. I've been cross-eyed at this Guerlain for a year now. Whenever I get it on the back of my hand, I experience a kind of arm malfunction: The arm constantly bends and holds the scented hand under my nose. If I spray it on my neck, I have such a wonderful, warm, spicy, sweet aura around me that I felt absolutely safe
This week I have finally souked up a 20ml bottling and am quite happy that I can now test in detail.

Angélique Noire does not start quietly, but demands a worthy performance with a red carpet and a bang! The spicy, aromatic-sweet head with peppered angelica is accompanied by a warm, creamy-spicy vanilla, which is absolutely to bite on! For me, the spicy vanilla dominates the fragrance. Contrary to some criticism I can't perceive a pear at all, but maybe I am "smell-blind" for the note. Angélique is noble and very durable, which I would have expected from a Guerlain and this price category. The fragrance is intensely perceptible for a good 6-7 hours, after which it becomes softer.

This scent warms me, it snuggles me up. I'm sure the bottling won't last long. The high price is unfortunately a damper, but quite justified, I guess. But why do some fragrances have to be so hard to come by in this country? Maybe to make your holiday in France even more exciting.

Don't worry, dear Angelika, your bottle will soon be in my closet as well.

Beautiful, Sweet, and Almost Gourmand
This is such a lovely and unique fragrance. It is rich, dark, sumptuous, lush, and thus very aptly named. I love the angelica note in this. The legendary Guerlain vanilla takes AN right up to the border of "gourmand," but keeps it from crossing over, yet there is something "delicious" about AN as if it is almost but not quite like a decadent dessert. I find AN rather feminine, but I think the right man could easily wear this as well.

On me it wears pretty close to my skin. Projection and sillage are rather minimal, but longevity is very good, especially on clothing. I must say, as well, that the presentation for all of these Guerlain exclusives is outstanding---far nicer presentation than CHANEL exclusifs. Guerlain is elegance.

AN whispers "come hither...." and draws in those around you. Wear AN whence you want to be relentlessly nibbled. ; )

Exciter76
Who's up for cake in the forest?
For the past four years I have obsessed over and lauded Angélique Noire. I received it as a sample and saved up for a bottle to call my own. It was the first bottle for which I ever needed to save up; prior to that I was okay with capping my perfume budget to $40 and under. This time, though, money was not going to come between my beloved and me. So why did I set this personal precedent?

Angélique Noire’s inimitability is in its whimsical green nature. Make no mistake: this is an Oriental Vanilla but it isn’t of the typical sort. Here is a rich vanilla nestled in a deep woods. There is dark greenery and something mildly sugary but nothing so exaggerated. I’ve likened this to The Mad Hatter’s Tea Party, where quirky outdoor happenings are transpiring and vanilla buttercream cake is being served. If any scent could be described as adorkable this is it.

I have always loved vanilla. I’ve loved it as a flavor and as a scent. However, if I was being honest with myself, I thought there was only a finite amount of ways to present vanilla in perfume form. Further, I thought vanilla was only limited to smelling like the spice rack staple and nothing more. With Angélique Noire I learned that vanilla could be altered in such a way that it could be instantly recognizable but entirely unique. I tried in vain to find something similar but I’ve yet to find its equal. I was forced to accept and pay its asking price. I’d be happy to do the same again.

Upscale Dior Addict
There is something on Angelique Noire that always reminded me of Dior Addict. I find this intriguing because it was, at first, something that i dislike on it but today it's the main reason that i appreciate it. Both have a boozy vanilla aura, but while Addict was heavy and hard to wear and interpret Angelique is more light, leaving space to notice the citrus, spicy, floral and green aromas going on the vanilla's ocean surface. It's not exactly noire, since it has a kind of shiny gold aura, but it's not a word on its name that makes it less likeable. Oh, and i forgot to say that i find intriguing that the combination of notes do make me think sometimes in the smell of an exotic sweet orchid. Another good and solid gourmand on this beautiful line.

another "noir" empty promise
So, can someone please explain what exactly constitutes "noir" in perfumery, anyway? This is a rhetorical question, by the way, because, not being an idiot, I can clearly see that this word has devolved into nothing more than an empty promise of a marketing gimmick: if you're a corporate perfume executive charged with taking another thin, synthetically sweet, over-priced, slightly vanillic light floral to market and you need to generate interest, just insert the word "noir" into the name. Can you blame them really? When your competition is a sea of sameness, you've got to use every trick at your disposal.

Here, as with the recently released Coco Noir, it's noir in name only.

Angelique Noir is not a bad fragrance, but it belongs in a $40 bottle with some other designer's name on it, not in a $240 bottle at the Guerlain counter at Neiman Marcus.

P.S.: I just realized that the drydown (which happens quickly) reminds me of L de Lolita. Add a tart floral note to L de Lolita and voila, a close approximation to Angelique Noir.

LexaLexa 2 years ago
I don't know how Angelica smells,but Angelique Noire is a sunny,herbal vanillic fragrance,with nothing 'noir' in it.Good tehnics.

.... Herbstverwehung ........
by Sylli
by Simetra
by Simetra

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain Derby (1985) (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain