Angélique Noire (2005)

Angélique Noire by Guerlain
Angélique Noire (Guerlain)
Angélique Noire (Guerlain)

Angélique Noire is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and men and was released in 2005. The scent is sweet-floral. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Daniela Andrier

Top Notes Top NotesAngelica seed, Pear, Pink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesArabic jasmine, Caraway
Base Notes Base NotesAngelica root, Vanilla, Cedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 03.12.2018

Angeélique Noire is part of the collection "L'Art et la Matière".

Bottle 9.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
Purchasing habits of the "common perfume" (lat. Parfumus normalus), or: "how I slowly went fragrance crazy"
I have four kinds of perfume purchases - and I'm sure you'll find yourselves in one kind or another.

First, there are the spontaneous purchases. Sprayed on and plugged in. Man, it was delicious! And then not so expensive. I wonder if it's tenable You'll see. And do you still like the base? I'm sure, if the head is already so tasty. Experience shows that I don't have any hands at all for this kind of purchases. The spontaneously purchased fragrances quickly find their place in the back of my perfume cupboard, so that I don't actually buy them anymore.

The second is repeat purchases. You're always keen on new fragrances, but there are these two, three fragrances that are ALWAYS bought as soon as the contents of the bottle run out. Aren't we all repeat offenders? It's also logical: the fragrance worn over and over again almost becomes part of the identity, well, at least of the "outfit", of the personal style. A dear greeting at this point to l'Ambre des Merveilles. I'll always have a place in my perfume cupboard for you.

The third type, and undoubtedly the most exciting, is blind buying! Once again half the afternoon surfing on Parfumo and filled the watchlist? Then checked the online shops and the souk? Oh, there's this fragrance on offer that really got off well in the review. And the scent pyramid sounds really promising. Costs and benefits are weighed. These are the fragrances I can't wait to get. This thrill shortly before the first spraying! Ambre Impérial, I'm already looking at you.

Let's come to the last category: The Longing Purchases. I test a fragrance, be it from a small sample tube or directly from the perfumery, and I fall in love with it. Take it easy. Again and again I come back in the perfumery to this smell and test spray. The longing is getting bigger and bigger. But it's quite expensive, I want to be absolutely sure before I buy it! When the fragrance is finally bought at auction, I already know it so well that it's like buying an old friend. It's incredibly satisfying to finally be able to spray the fragrance on at home.

Angélique Noire belongs to the category "longing purchases" for me. I've been cross-eyed at this Guerlain for a year now. Whenever I get it on the back of my hand, I experience a kind of arm malfunction: The arm constantly bends and holds the scented hand under my nose. If I spray it on my neck, I have such a wonderful, warm, spicy, sweet aura around me that I felt absolutely safe
This week I have finally souked up a 20ml bottling and am quite happy that I can now test in detail.

Angélique Noire does not start quietly, but demands a worthy performance with a red carpet and a bang! The spicy, aromatic-sweet head with peppered angelica is accompanied by a warm, creamy-spicy vanilla, which is absolutely to bite on! For me, the spicy vanilla dominates the fragrance. Contrary to some criticism I can't perceive a pear at all, but maybe I am "smell-blind" for the note. Angélique is noble and very durable, which I would have expected from a Guerlain and this price category. The fragrance is intensely perceptible for a good 6-7 hours, after which it becomes softer.

This scent warms me, it snuggles me up. I'm sure the bottling won't last long. The high price is unfortunately a damper, but quite justified, I guess. But why do some fragrances have to be so hard to come by in this country? Maybe to make your holiday in France even more exciting.

Don't worry, dear Angelika, your bottle will soon be in my closet as well.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
Beautiful, Sweet, and Almost Gourmand
This is such a lovely and unique fragrance. It is rich, dark, sumptuous, lush, and thus very aptly named. I love the angelica note in this. The legendary Guerlain vanilla takes AN right up to the border of "gourmand," but keeps it from crossing over, yet there is something "delicious" about AN as if it is almost but not quite like a decadent dessert. I find AN rather feminine, but I think the right man could easily wear this as well.

On me it wears pretty close to my skin. Projection and sillage are rather minimal, but longevity is very good, especially on clothing. I must say, as well, that the presentation for all of these Guerlain exclusives is outstanding---far nicer presentation than CHANEL exclusifs. Guerlain is elegance.

AN whispers "come hither...." and draws in those around you. Wear AN whence you want to be relentlessly nibbled. ; )

Scent 10.0/10
Who's up for cake in the forest?
For the past four years I have obsessed over and lauded Angélique Noire. I received it as a sample and saved up for a bottle to call my own. It was the first bottle for which I ever needed to save up; prior to that I was okay with capping my perfume budget to $40 and under. This time, though, money was not going to come between my beloved and me. So why did I set this personal precedent?

Angélique Noire’s inimitability is in its whimsical green nature. Make no mistake: this is an Oriental Vanilla but it isn’t of the typical sort. Here is a rich vanilla nestled in a deep woods. There is dark greenery and something mildly sugary but nothing so exaggerated. I’ve likened this to The Mad Hatter’s Tea Party, where quirky outdoor happenings are transpiring and vanilla buttercream cake is being served. If any scent could be described as adorkable this is it.

I have always loved vanilla. I’ve loved it as a flavor and as a scent. However, if I was being honest with myself, I thought there was only a finite amount of ways to present vanilla in perfume form. Further, I thought vanilla was only limited to smelling like the spice rack staple and nothing more. With Angélique Noire I learned that vanilla could be altered in such a way that it could be instantly recognizable but entirely unique. I tried in vain to find something similar but I’ve yet to find its equal. I was forced to accept and pay its asking price. I’d be happy to do the same again.
Scent 7.0/10
Upscale Dior Addict
There is something on Angelique Noire that always reminded me of Dior Addict. I find this intriguing because it was, at first, something that i dislike on it but today it's the main reason that i appreciate it. Both have a boozy vanilla aura, but while Addict was heavy and hard to wear and interpret Angelique is more light, leaving space to notice the citrus, spicy, floral and green aromas going on the vanilla's ocean surface. It's not exactly noire, since it has a kind of shiny gold aura, but it's not a word on its name that makes it less likeable. Oh, and i forgot to say that i find intriguing that the combination of notes do make me think sometimes in the smell of an exotic sweet orchid. Another good and solid gourmand on this beautiful line.
Scent 5.0/10
another "noir" empty promise
So, can someone please explain what exactly constitutes "noir" in perfumery, anyway? This is a rhetorical question, by the way, because, not being an idiot, I can clearly see that this word has devolved into nothing more than an empty promise of a marketing gimmick: if you're a corporate perfume executive charged with taking another thin, synthetically sweet, over-priced, slightly vanillic light floral to market and you need to generate interest, just insert the word "noir" into the name. Can you blame them really? When your competition is a sea of sameness, you've got to use every trick at your disposal.

Here, as with the recently released Coco Noir, it's noir in name only.

Angelique Noir is not a bad fragrance, but it belongs in a $40 bottle with some other designer's name on it, not in a $240 bottle at the Guerlain counter at Neiman Marcus.

P.S.: I just realized that the drydown (which happens quickly) reminds me of L de Lolita. Add a tart floral note to L de Lolita and voila, a close approximation to Angelique Noir.
Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 4.0/10
Polymer Chemistry Has No Place In Perfumery
As a long-time fan of the Guerlain classics, I have tried to keep the faith, but I must say that their string of plasticky quasi-gourmands do not work at all for me.

ANGELIQUE NOIRE begins with such beauty and grace as a vanilla floral that I was sure I loved. Until, that is, it developed to the drydown, where once again, as in INSOLENCE and IRIS GANACHE, the dreaded plastic crept in.

IMNSHO, there is something awry with the idea of plastic mixed with edible elements. It reminds me of the time when I was making a batch of cookies that required a boiling of sugar, cocoa, butter, and milk for a full two minutes. I accidentally dropped the cocoa bag in the boiling concoction, and the edges of the plastic immediately disintegrated before I could fish the remains out. I couldn't decide whether to toss the batch out, especially given that these sorts of things apparently happen all the time unbeknownst to us in restaurants, factories, etc...

But I do not want to *perceive* the plastic in my gourmand delights! ANGELIQUE NOIRE is too gourmand to be rolling in a plastic note and causing me to wonder whether I should throw the whole batch out.

Lexa 9 months ago
I don't know how Angelica smells,but Angelique Noire is a sunny,herbal vanillic fragrance,with nothing 'noir' in it.Good tehnics.+2
Bottle 9.0

• Formaldehyd Präparat by ChatonNoir
  • by Kirthi by Kirthi
  • by Jasmine87 by Jasmine87
  • by SabriNoir by SabriNoir
  • Der Zauber der Liebe veredelt das, was durch sie berührt wird-Franz Grillparzer by Sunshine00
  • by Turandot by Turandot
  • by Conica by Conica
  • by Sylli by Sylli
  • by Simetra by Simetra

Popular Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Jicky (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain