Après L'Ondée 1906 Eau de Toilette

Après L'Ondée (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain
Top 62 in Women's Perfume
Après L'Ondée (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 1906. The scent is floral-powdery. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesHawthornHawthorn
LilyLily
OrchidOrchid
Base Notes Base NotesIrisIris
Deer muskDeer musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 23.09.2021.

Inspired by "Origan" it is probably one of the earliest uses of p(ara)-anisaldehyde, whose sweet warm smell resembles mimosa and hawthorn blossom. p(ara)-anisaldehyde was first synthesised in 1845 by Auguste Cahours. In 1877, Ferdinand Tiemann and Hermann Herzfeld developed an industrially utilisable synthesis method. Jean Claude Ellena reports, analysis and reconception of "Après L'ondée" had inspired him to compose "L'Eau d'Hiver". Since February 2014, the historic Louis XVI flacon of Après L'ondée is exhibited in the "Hall of Mirrors" of the Guerlain parent house at the Champs Elysées, Paris. On request, it is possible to smell the scent (extrait), which has been reconstructed following the formula of 1906.

"Magic Delicate"
In life I would not have expected that such an old fragrance from 1906 can still so current and especially like.
Bright, clean, magic - delicately a great radiant floral with depth.
The prelude seems most likely something more austere, but it immediately lays a soft fragrance over it and elated the whole bouquet of flowers.
The bergamot brings a breath of freshness like the air after the rain.
Cool elegance, buoyant freshness;
A great fragrance!

My little heart
A few years ago I bought this fragrance blind. I had then found another fragrance that has touched me strongly and unfortunately did not hold on my skin. At that time still inexperienced I thought it was the iris that touched me so, today I know it was probably more a lilac note. I found Apres L'ondee and the description, also the note of melancholy caught me immediately, plus the fact that it was "created" in 1906. I am a very nostalgic person...I was expecting something completely different, was so excited because I thought finally I will find what I am so eagerly looking for. and then the disappointment when I got the fragrance. It smelled completely different than I expected. It didn't bring that feeling. But the scent triggered an oppression in me, sadness. Or it just opens my heart where the sadness is hidden anyway? I couldn't wear it well. I think I'm looking for more of a comforting scent that embraces the sadness as well. ...a soft non-perfumed scent is what I remember. I think a scent that is not just about smelling good...a scent that perceives the soul of the wearer. A scent actually projecting inward not outward. Even the name touches me somehow. Who knows how I would like it today
the rainbow
The rain curtain, which was just heavy enough, lifts; the drops still play their own melodies on the window sills and balcony parapets: born out of the moment and not following any tone setting - an improvisation of a very special kind.
Suddenly the sun is back! Her warm fingers lovingly stroke all that still stands bent by the force of the rain.
As she does so, she conjures glittering gems on foliage and blossoms, coaxing wonderful scents all her own from them and the wetness-soaked earth!
Everything smells clean, freshly washed and therefore stretches radiant and loose towards the light.
Who is surprised at the rainbow that seems to stretch out of nowhere over everything?

Jacques Guerlain created "Après l'Ondée" as early as 1906: He celebrates with it the beautiful weather after the rain in floral-scented chords.
The fragrance structure here seems to follow his nose, rather than any narrow laws of perfumery.

So I stroll through a floral women's fragrance, still have to dodge many a puddle:
The Hesperides opening shines softly smiling, drops still glistening on the peels of bergamot and lemon.
The herb garden of rosemary and lavender is still silvered, too; there's a spicy hint of anise.
Hawthorn and neroli scents brush softly through the air. As if to see if all the neighbours in the gardens have survived the cleansing rain! In the meantime, the flowers have straightened their robes; they don't look quite so disheveled anymore: shake them once or twice - there, now they're beautiful again!
Garden carnations, iris and their lily sisters send fragrance sheaves, the tart beauty of the small round mimosa blossoms and a variety of rose beauties are perfectly complemented by the friendly violet, the exuberantly radiant jasmine and the first swathes of warm, sensual vanilla to one of the typical Guerlain fragrance magic.
Their deepest secrets they will never reveal: that's just as well!
Musk clouds lay protectively over this floral fragrance beauty, a little iris powder fits excellently - just enough so that the fine flicker is not completely extinguished and can still be guessed.
A fruity hint of lemon peeks in once more, waving happily, before luminous amber waves envelop this confident, somewhat perky fragrance.

Because in phases it really comes across as somewhat androgynous, this "after the rain" feeling! Not in the usual lush curves, but rather more straightforward - but no less beautiful!
Not quite as typically feminine - opulent, sensually alluring - as many of the older and even many more of the younger fragrance sisters to come in the era of Guerlain sons and grandsons.
"Après l'Ondrée" exudes joie de vivre and aplomb. The air is filled with beauty and grace.

So here I encounter "a fragrance experience for confident ladies who love life".
And I know the Guerlain philosophy has once again come to fruition:
Jacques Guerlain celebrates with "Après l'Ondée" not only the beauty after the rain with a large, lightly powdered bouquet of flowers, but at the same time the beauty of women:
Every single one, just as she is!
So let's celebrate with them!
Summer Of 1908 Or: Granny Was A Wild Girl

I would like to say a few words on the subject of grandmother scent. Perhaps because I adore violets so much that it makes me quite fuchtig if one does them wrong. Maybe because I have a general suspicion of grandmothers, behind the dignity of age, having a few stories in store that would make our mouths drop open. Maybe because I believe that sometimes there's nothing wilder, nothing wackier or more visionary than wearing a true grandmother scent: one like Après L'Ondée.
To that end, I'm going to take you on a little trip back in time. To Vienna, if you don't mind. It's the summer of 1908, and like a storm, a new era is brewing. Siegmund Freud causes a furore with his psychoanalysis and snubs the world by explaining that it thinks of only one thing day and night. People are outraged. And beats down his doors.
Behind the Naschmarkt, a couple of young artists clean up the rancor of the fin de siècle, and Gustav Klimt paints eternal love into a golden frenzy on the knife's edge in his kiss.
A few streets away, a confused guy sells postcards. He lives in a homeless shelter for men and dreams of becoming famous as a painter. A few years later, he becomes so as a politician - and makes humanity look into its darkest abyss.
And a young woman chases her husband's mistress out of a suite of the noble Hotel Sacher with great publicity, in order to then - deaf to the pleas of her squirming husband - throw her clothes down one by one from the window onto the street. It is not certain whether Freud observed the scene and was enlightened by it to write a treatise on hysteria, or whether the passing Klimt was inspired by the sight of the beautiful sinner in the street to create one of his defoliated canvas beauties.
It is pretty well known, however, that this incident made a lasting impression on the husband and brought his irate wife a reconciliatory gift in the form of a ruinously expensive necklace. I must know this, for I know the necklace; my mother has often shown it to me: The revenge goddess of the Hotel Sacher was my great-grandmother.
When I look at her in the faded black and white photograph, I mean to see the storm gathering in her bright eyes. I feel as if at any moment it could tug at her white long dress, blow the artfully coiffed strands of blonde hair into the narrow face from which the photographer has been unable to wring a smile. As if this storm could at any moment take hold of her whole figure, her whole being, and she was not yet decided whether to withstand it, whether to let it blow her away, or whether to drive it on.
I don't know if my great-grandmother wore Après l'Ondée, but actually, she must have: The fragrance is made for women with fiercely free souls like hers.
I learn that it essentially owes its character to an artificially synthesized aldehyde. And yet Après l'Ondée is exactly not that: artificial. On the contrary, it has an unrelated clear, fresh, somehow unadorned character: the world after a thundershower, the heat has cooled, the wind drives the clouds before the clear sky, the air seems more transparent than usual, the colors wilder, more intense. We breathe in and immediately take in the scent of violets, those unimpressed resisters to any kind of climatic imposition. This time there is no lipstick sweetness, no forget-me-not blue frippery, but a violet in its wild beauty. A little lavender adds brittle spice, and a hint - but really just a tiny hint - of sweetness probably comes from that hawthorn mimosa thing with the unpronounceable name. The violet remains steadfast over time, the scent developing a vibrant, cool rainfall elegance, that may come from the lilies and the orchids. But it never becomes, despite the floral preponderance, an over-flowering miscellany, and even the (hiss)musk fails to soften the picture. Après l'Ondée is after the rainstorm, but in the midst of the storm, and there it remains to underscore the clarity, the courage, the determination of its wearer. Yes, Après l'Ondée is a fragrance of its time. And it is radically timeless. It takes my heart in its hands and carries it away while I wear it I look into the bright eyes of my great-grandmother's image and wonder which of the fragrances of our time will one day be able to make such a claim. Because you know one thing:
It's spring 2021 and like a storm, a new time is coming. We know it, but we don't know: are we in its eye? Or has it just begun? What will my great-granddaughter say one day, about me and my time? And: will there be a scent that bridges from her to me? One like Après l'Ondée?
Tradescantia
The best rain shower ever
Depending on where you're from, you don't find rain that bad and a short shower is usually tolerable if you're dressed appropriately for the weather.

Now to this great eau de toilette, which is just old and really well proven.
It smells as natural as chemicals can smell.
It's fresh at first, yet soft.
One smells great lavender, the generally appreciated by me bergamot and hawthorn, which can even be processed into tea. The rosemary, however, I would not have suspected in the fragrance.
This scent is not very common to smell, unjustifiably, because it fits everywhere. This is already an art in itself, the fragrance is not boring, has contour and is still very adapted.
In the middle, a violet note shines.
This is strongly pronounced for an eau de toilette.
Overall, however, the fragrance is not very intense. The intensity is somewhere between an eau de toilette and an eau de cologne. So you do not have to pay so much attention to the dosage, as is the case with some other fragrances.
The notes that exude lily and orange blossom are very quiet, but perceptible.
Finally, the whole thing is rounded off by a note of iris.
A really successful Edt, which should be nowhere out of place.

The only thing that bothers me a little is that it is very delicate.
To others it won't be very noticeable, to you of course it is and that's a good thing. It's just that after a while you can get very used to a fragrance and then you no longer perceive it as intensely as others.

For the summer, the fragrance is particularly suitable because it is so airy and light
Walking in the fog
You're moving to "Nawwelbach"! Was a statement I encountered more often than I mentioned moving to a new town.
Nawwelbach? Excuse me, huh? What exactly did these locals mean by that? Nawwel means fog here and "the brook" is the brook passing there.
And indeed, in the early hours of the morning, the fog wanders from the brook over the valley meadows. There he doesn't seem to be able to decide whether to move further into the forest or to stay on the fields.
Almost every morning I can watch this spectacle from my window. Slowly in the still bluish morning light, the bright white veil wanders, soft as cotton wool over the fields and gently caresses nature. While the sky changes its color spectrum from pink yellow orange to a gray greenish and then later into a beautiful azure.
And every morning my little External Soul part and I, dressed according to the weather, walk along the stream. And every morning the birds of Love Tunnel whistle their songs from the branches. The ducks dive into the brook for something and the gurgling of the water soon puts my darling to sleep that he sleeps calmly the whole walk.

And now for the scent.
The opening begins fresh, (Bergamot?) Slightly citric, slightly stuffy, this fragrance begins on my skin. Just like the air reacts before it comes to a warm downpour with thunderstorms in summer. That's how you could imagine it. Ozonically humid and stuffy, or how the fog rises from the stream and floats over the damp meadow. But not unpleasant!
But after about 10 minutes it changes and reminds me strongly of the l Instant de Guerlain. (Hihi must be sisters)
Sweet, vanilla, serious light jasmine and mega lots of powdery violet give a very nice overall impression.
Not too heavy, not too sweet, not too killing, this very special scent stays close to my body and accompanies me in nature and in my thoughts.
Unfortunately, this scent doesn't last as long on me as his sister does. After 5 hours there is unfortunately low tide, but he harmonizes with his carrier. Flatters the femininity, adapts perfectly and gently underlines the romantic nature of the wearer.
A scent for the early morning hours, also after a rain quite suitable. For dreamers, romantics, thinkers or actually something for every day. But attention, you don't get sexy with that...

Conclusion.
Well done fragrance that lala keeps so lala. Not the Mega Sillage, but really special.
A Nawwel sugar cloud for silence, serious and quiet moments.

Not so blue
Espectacular eau de toilette, extremely romantic and evocative. I had read so many reviews and commentaries over this classic before I tried it that I expected a humid violet very powdery and aniseed aroma. But to my surprise far to find a blue and gloomy cologne, the outstanding on me carnation note, makes this purple composition become warmer and more optimistic than I expected and somehow out of the blue connected to some of my most loved classics as Vol de Nuit and En Avion. A delightful beauty.

French Impressionism in a Bottle
Top Notes: Cassia, Neroli, Anise, Bergamot, Lemon.

Heart Notes: Mimosa, Carnation, Sandalwood, Violet, Orris Root, Jasmine, Vetiver, Ylang-Ylang, Rose.

Base Notes: Iris, Amber, Musk, Benzoin, Vanilla, Heliotrope, Styrax.

After reading about Apres L'Ondee a few years ago, I was eager to try it because I am familiar with other Guerlain parfums, and I felt certain I would love it. There is a rumour circulating that it will soon no longer be available in the U.S., and there is another rumour that Guerlain intends to stop making it altogether, so before either one of these possible eventualities became realities, I ordered the eau de toilette on-line from an Amazon seller. This review primarily concerns the current EDT, but I do discuss the vintage extrait at the end to some extent.

The Apres L'Ondee EDT indeed smells very fresh and bright. I found it to be almost loud upon first application of it to my skin, but it quickly dried down to a softer scent. I would describe it as a quite green scent, but it is not green in the way that Diorissimo is green, for example. It smells of soft, vaguely sweet grasses and cut flower stems, not the blossoms so much but the green stems. I do smell flowers, but they seem more distant than the grasses and green stems. I do indeed pick up on a wetness to it as well. After it was on my skin for a couple of hours, I could definitely detect a very light, sweet, vanilla or honey note to it. It is quite charming in the dry down.

I do not particularly like the top notes, but I have only worn it a few times, and my opinion may change later. I like the dry down which is soft, vaguely sweet but not sugary sweet at all, grassy, and slightly wet. Apres is a very demure scent, and as other reviewers have noted, it it not very long lasting. I had perhaps two to three hours of it before it was completely gone. I intend to apply some scent-free lotion before I apply the Apres next time to see if the lotion will help it to linger longer on my skin.

The EDT has moderate to strong projection upon first application, but it quietens down pretty quickly. Sillage is also moderate upon first application, but it, too, quietens down quickly. My biggest criticism is the current EDT's lack of longevity, but this is a criticism I have of virtually all eau de toilettes, and it is the reason why I buy eau de parfum if it is available. Unfortunately, Apres L'Ondee in either eau de parfum or in extrait formulation is no longer made, so if you want to try it, you will either have to purchase the current EDT or find a vintage bottle or decanted sample.

I have been able to sample a vintage Apres L'Ondee in pure parfum formulation, and it is MUCH different from the current EDT. As expected, the vintage parfum has a deeper, creamier smell to it. It is also a bit sweeter but still not candy sweet. It has that wet, grassy sweetness about it. It wears very, very close to the skin, even closer than the EDT and its presence, too, was quite fleeting on my skin. I feel privileged to have been able to sample the long since discontinued extrait, though.

My overall impression of Apres L'Ondee is favourable. After trying it, I do not think anyone exaggerated in describing Apres L'Ondee as an utterly beautiful, iconic fragrance, a classic creation. It is unlike any other scent I have ever tried. Do I recommend you buy a bottle of the current EDT? Yes, it is worth sampling and keeping in your collection as a reference point as well as an historical artefact should Guerlain stop making it. Do I recommend you buy a vintage EDT, EDP, or extrait? Yes, a vintage is very worthy of the cost, and I think if you like this type of scent, then you will really like the vintage Apres L'Ondee.

Fragrance: 10/10
Projection: 3/10
Sillage: 3/10
Longevity: 3/10

Ethereal beauty...
Après L'Ondée by Jacques Guerlain is, like all of his work, something which has no specific time or place. It just is what it is. I think it's amazing that we can still smell and experience something made from over a century ago, it's like looking through a window into the past...

For me, this perfume is about Iris (Orris Root) and powdery violets... along with a selection of delicately balanced florals. Like a bouquet of flowers that only stays fresh for a few days, before wilting and shrinking out of existence. I also get the heliotrope and anise, which were hallmarks of his later masterpiece L'Heure Bleue.

I think, many of these older perfumes by Guerlain provoke an emotional response. It's not just something nice to put on and go about your day. This one, along with stuff like Jicky, L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko and the legendary Shalimar all create different emotions in the wearer. In short, they are all perfumes that make you think. That is why they are around long after the people who created them have died. Like paintings hanging in galleries. Except these are things you can smell and touch. It's fascinating... and Après L'Ondée is no exception.

Sometimes, the most beautiful things in life are often fleeting and temporary. Après L'Ondée is one of those experiences. It's one perfume which everyone should experience at least once. You may be surprised by how simple and delicately beautiful this one is. Even if it's not for you, I don't think you'll have smelled anything like this being made today. It is a lovely one though. Do try it.

Purity
As a child, with my parents, I went in glades around Tople? village to enjoy the fresh air and the beauty of nature.
I remember a special moment when we reached a glade with grass woven with threads of violets. Life simply flowed through that lawn, I could feel it. We lay there, on the meadow, all three of us and looked up to the sky, enjoying the sweet scent floating around us. The smell of the moist ground, because there, in my village the soil is never completely dry, as if it will always hold hands with the rain, never letting her go. This smell merged with the feeble flowers. The piece of blue sky that we saw there was the canvas on which we painted our happiness.
This is how Apres L'Ondee smells to me: delicate violets mixed with joy, untainted by the surrounding world.

Apres L'Ondee is the fragrance that will make you love the rain, even if you do it just to enjoy the wonders that arise after its passing.

ZerkaloZerkalo 10 days ago
What truth holds the memory of a last kiss, of your lips fading - softly - close to mine, enveloped by arpeggiating autumn rain?
HugoMontezHugoMontez 1 year ago
Heliotropin and Iris made to perfection. It's sweet, almondy, cherry like, powdery, soft talc like.... Outstanding classic.

by Hexana
by JC77
by HeureBleue
by HeureBleue

Popular Guerlain

Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain