Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca (1999)

Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca by Guerlain

Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca is a perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 1999. The scent is green-fresh. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesClover leaf, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCurled mint, Green tea
Base Notes Base NotesLily-of-the-valley, Cyclamen, Pear blossom

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 28.09.2019

DasSpaetzle
When the scent of heat is gone...
...this one still works. I don't know of any fresher or more refreshing fragrance. When it gets warm in summer, I get picky. Then many a perfume is simply too much for me, too overblown and I tend to do without perfume. Herba Fresca is a very welcome exception, I can bear it even at 40°C still well. I smell lemon, fresh grass (or is that the cloverleaf?), delicious, slightly sweet mint, a little tea and some more herbal notes. Further down, someone wrote about thyme and it seems to me that I'm catching a bit of thyme, too Altogether I get the association of a summer meadow in the morning, when there is still dew on the grass, but the sun is already shining on it and the fresh scent rises.
For me in any case an absolute summer classic, from which the numerous summer fragrances that appear every year can cut a slice.
8.0 5.0 6.0 6.0/10

Wife ruins everything
My first impression was a very pleasant and fresh summer scent. However, my wife tried it later that evening, and immediately says “Herbal medicine”. Then I get an instant inner image of soft echinacea chew tablets used in Sweden to prevent getting colds. The taste is not awful, but special and herb:y. I hadn’t made that connection before that, but now I can’t kick the impression. From great summer scent to chewy cold remedy in one second flat. I’m a bit angry with her. Changing rating from 8.5 to 6.0 :-(
5.0 2.5 10.0 7.0/10

Fridge
I am just writing to the politicians to use this stuff agains global warming.

Curled Mint, you are very honest, blowing your cloud directly to my nose. How could you hide yourself while being so neon-bright?

An Orbit chewing gum with virgin mojito, that is this perfume at the beginning. The crushed green stems and leaves are realistic and authentic. AQUA ALLEGORIA HERBA FRESCA is so fresh, that you spray it upon your skin and it cools you down. The green shade is stronger and stronger, but curled mint never fades away.

Additional impressions:
- unisex
- strong, but only from close
- sillage is less than enough
- lasts more than 9 hours.
10.0 5.0 7.5 10.0/10

Green Tea with Mint...
What a wonderful, lovely scent! So green and innocent! It is said that Jean-Paul Guerlain wanted to evoke with this the impression of when you are a child playing barefoot in the grass... and what an impression this one creates! The tea combined with the cyclamen, lilly-of-the-valley and clover, really give a light, airy, fresh, ozonic feeling to the whole fragrance, but the mint is the real player here. It's not a toothpaste-like mint, this is more of a green mint leaf crushed between your fingers kind of mint. It's extremely refreshing! Especially when combined with the lemon and green tea.

It's definitely beautiful stuff! I put some on earlier and it lasted six hours! Even longer on clothes! In my opinion this one is perfect for any time of year... and totally unisex! In fact, men, women, children... absolutely anyone can wear it! It's calm, clean, natural and inoffensive. A real masterpiece of freshness!
7.5 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

The Scent of the Color of a Fresh Bruise
I was very confused by Guerlain Aqua Allegoria HERBA-FRESCA the first time I tested it. Fortunately, my decant from a fellow fragrance traveler was rather large, so I was able to come back to it.

My initial confusion appears to have been caused by seriously dashed expectations. The last thing I expected this fragrance to be was a mint-centric creation. I had already owned and drained an entire bottle of Aqua Allegoria MENTAFOLLIA, which I really like, and it just did not make sense to me that such a careless repetition would be made in this series of what once upon a time were simple albeit very natural-smelling tributes to specific notes.

The series is no longer that, but the circa Y2K launches share the same governing aesthetic, and HERBA-FRESCA falls into that group, having been launched in 1999. I think that after several wears, I have finally figured this one out. HERBA-FRESCA is both minty and anisic simultaneously. This fragrance therefore toes the line between ANISIA BELLA and MENTAFOLLIA. It is actually a perfect product of the two. The green here is tinged blue, due to herbs such as tarragon or basil which are related to anise and impart a flavor not quite reaching anise, but coming pretty close.

The combination of the mint and the tarragon or basil, or whatever is making this composition blue, yields a strangely bright afterimage-like effect. It almost smells like ink, in fact, but I do believe that this is a natural effect caused by the combination of anisic herbs with a substantive mint note.

In the end, I've come around. I now like HERBA-FRESCA, just as I reach the end of my decant. I probably will not buy a bottle, however, because even if "this" fragrance is still in production, it's probably been reformulated to fall in line with the ghastly latter-day Aqua Allegoria compositions. Some suit at LVMH (probably the same one who thought that renaming MISS DIOR and MISS DIOR CHERIE was a fine idea) appears to have decided that "no one will notice" if they remove all of the nature from the once nature-inspired series that was Aqua Allegoria.

RIP.

Mint and grass and tea
After a vodka opening, a blast of mint. But the mint soon recedes in favor of a grassy note, and then is succeeded by tea. And then the grass. And back to tea.

While the mint is indeed a continuous presence in Herba Fresca, it is not overwhelming. It is refreshing.

On me, the lily of the valley and cyclamen present as an indistinct but fresh floral, still touched by mint.

Not my favorite in this line. I much prefer the Mentafollia.

Jazzy76 19 months ago
very fresh and green , it's a daily scent perfect in summer.Maybe too vibrant to my nose.The bottle is very elegant, in the Guerlain's style+2
9.0

by Fran
by GreenTin
by GreenTin

Popular Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Jicky (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain