Bois MystérieuxSonge d'un Bois d'Été (2012)

Bois Mystérieux / Songe d'un Bois d'Été by Guerlain

Bois Mystérieux is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is spicy-oriental. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Thierry Wasser

Top Notes Top NotesLaurel, Neroli
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouli, Saffron, Jasmine, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesLeather, Myrrh

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 03.08.2019

The fragrance was initially part of the collection "Les Déserts d'Orient". In 2019, it was re-released as "Bois Mystérieux" as part of the collection "Les Absolus d'Orient".

8.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Cashmere soft, tender Oriental
As an oud opponent, non-user of oriental scents and general wood ignorant (except in softly rinsed sandalwood form), Bois Mystérieux (the original form "Songe d'un Bois d'Été") should never have been allowed to touch my skin for precisely these reasons, but neither should I have let it touch my CD...). But then again, as a Guerlain collector, I am forced to own every respectable bottle of every original line. So after buying the first "Les Absolus d'Orient" fragrances I was almost obliged to at least examine them, even to buy them blind. The saving solution: Sharing! So I was able to test the fragrance and integrate another pretty flacon into my collection without immense expense. I noticed that the scent is hui outside and almost the same inside!
But now in turn...first of all I had the thankless task of filling, believe it or not, 30 mini sprayers of 2 ml each, whereby I always spill at least 10 ml, spray next to it, drain and saturate my hands with it. That's enough for a very intense first impression, and that was: mmmh!
Flattering spiciness, creamy wood.
After hours of work, I washed my hands and went into the (snow) air to blow through my nose. I noticed that my (woollen) scarf had probably also gotten something, which I felt however as very pleasant. I smelled a very fine, creamy clean note, slightly leathery, but incredibly soft. Again: mmmmh.
Now I wanted to know, and sprayed me again directly, mittenmang on the Pulse.
Fortunately, the concentrated power of 100 spice mills passed quickly and what I consider to be saffron mixed with the soft, soft leather and both entered into a balanced, almost equal relationship with the quite oriental spices. Gradually the scent becomes creamier, cleaner (not soapy, but the opposite of dirty-earthy-oudig I mean) and even slightly sweetish-floral!
What's up? Yeah, yeah! Surprise!
So I put up with the Orient.
The scent lasts long (it's still on the scarf!) and doesn't change much until it sleeps to death. The last of about 7-8 hours I find it to be a slightly spicy, cotton-soft leather scent.
Beautiful and not heavy or dominant! (Oud? Where?)
8.0 8.0 9.0/10

A Sensual Fragrance For The Romantic Lothario
Well who would have thought that Guerlain would come out in this day and age with a dirty leathery spicy fragrance done for a gentleman. On first application I get the cumin body odor fragrance mixed in with a leathery woody oud and saffron. The jasmine is used wonderfully to tame the beast so it puurrss and does not growl on your skin.lol

I get the associations with Dior Leather Oud, but this has been created in a more classy way. The scent is very sensual and intimate, the balance between the dark notes is offset well with the floral jasmine.

As time goes by and the spicy cumin note settles down and this scent just gets better and better. It goes into full seduction mode, the oud, leather and floral touched myrrh does smell like you could don suit and become a Lothario for the night.

I would say this fragrance is for the gentleman who wants to attract the ladies. Very well done!
7.5 7.5 9.0/10

A master class from Guerlain
Exclusive in Guerlain boutiques or at Harrods in London, I ordered a small sample of an American site.
This perfume is part of the collection "Deserts d'Orient". I tried and re-tested all 3: Encens Mythique is sweet, reminiscent of the smell of the upper class women that surrounded my childhood; Rose Nacrée is for those who like oud with rose, arguably the most feminine of 3, and very well done; and finally this little secret that only we men should wear: Songe d'un Bois d'Été.
Distinguished, develops along the hours with nuances that only the mastery of a house as Guerlain could reach. Cardamom, the oud (not the medicinal one, but the smoothy one) and a cedar-patchouli base combine in a woody with great involvement. Mesmerizing and very very classy!
In the evening I will test the Christian Dior La Collection Couturier Parfumeur Leather Oud to compare. I'm torn between the two.
Niche houses, learn from these sacred monsters. Guerlain and Dior, no one definitely exceed those in the world of perfumery!
7.5 5.0 2.5 4.0/10

Drseid
Oh No, It's The Dreaded BO...
Songe d'un Bois d'Ete opens with a blast of saffron, soon coupling with a very strong cumin and cardamom combination that unfortunately reminds me more than a bit of the "BO" note I experienced with Declaration by Cartier. The cumin and cardamom combo remains in full force through the heart notes, combining with cedar support and just the faintest whiff of jasmine to sweeten the scent only just a hair. The cumin and cardamom finally begin to fade late into the scent's heart, revealing a fine leather note in the base that finishes off the scent, combining with traces of the remaining saffron spice, cedar and a bit of real oud. Projection is average, with below average longevity.

Songe d'un Bois d'Ete was a bit of a disappointment. The cumin and cardamom that reveal themselves after the first few seconds of development are extremely strong and overpowering. They obscure much of what the scent has to offer and are quite unpleasant smelling. When you finally get past the "BO" accord, there really is a nice dry woody leather and oud combo to be found in the dry-down. That said, it is way too little, too late, and the scent fades to nothing shortly afterwards with its relatively short longevity. At approximately $300 for 75ml of Songe d'un Bois d'Ete one should expect so much more than this... indeed one should expect so much more at a quarter of the price. I give this weak composition a below average 2 out of 5 stars.

R0din 115 days ago
It definitely reminds me of Roja’s UAE. Very rich, very orientalish fragrance! It really deserves a try, for me is a must have.+2

by Tetsuo
by Urania71
by MrC0rnells
by MrC0rnells

Popular Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Jicky (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain