Bois Mystérieux Songe d'un Bois d'Été (2012)

Bois Mystérieux / Songe d'un Bois d'Été by Guerlain

Top 71 in Unisex Perfume
Bois Mystérieux is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is spicy-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Thierry Wasser

Top Notes Top NotesLaurel, Neroli
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouli, Saffron, Jasmine, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesLeather, Myrrh

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 17.03.2020.

The fragrance was initially part of the collection "Les Déserts d'Orient". In 2019, it was re-released as "Bois Mystérieux" as part of the collection "Les Absolus d'Orient".

8.0 8.0 8.0 9.5/10

Cumulnimbus
Beautiful, bold and enriched leather perfume
This is a new display of Songe d'un Bois d'Ete which had been sitting in my want list since it was released back in 2012 but which I couldn't get myself to buy even though it was a love at first smell. I don't really buy so many perfumes any more. I never really enjoyed the super luxury/exclusivity part of the perfume market. That is what most of the times you are really paying for when prices go over 150e for 50ml. I can understand Carnal Flower original concentration of tuberose absolute made it crazy expensive or that some niche small productions amounts may rise their prices, but I'm annoyed by the proliferation of exclusive lines by big houses at crazy costs, so I tend not to buy them. Sometimes I've received some as presents but the ones I've bought were never at full price. So Songe d'un bois d'ete remained in my want list for years. You can imagine how happy I was to smell Bois Mystérieux by Guerlain and to find it indistinguible from Songe d'un bois d'ete. besides coming in a 125ml for a much, in my opinion, fair price.

I love the green medicinal first stage of the perfume and then the mixture of leather, animalic cumin and resins. The floral notes are adding an almost undetectable layer of clean soap to the blend that I'm delighted with. Love its strength and depth, not a shy perfume and a definitely long lasting one.

I spray just once whenever I use it, and I can tell it gets noticed after several hours. I really enjoy leathery perfumes with a green side when taking a walk in the woods. It is like dressing in white for a snowed morning. We can't do as perfectly as nature does, but we can join the aesthetic parties it delivers.

Thank you, Guerlain house for this gem.
9.0 8.0 9.0 8.5/10

Pollita
The tenderest temptation since leather exists
Recently I received a wonderful fragrance package from a dear perfumer with various samples and bottlings. Including a bottling of this Guerlain, which is really something very special. At first I thought, mhm, everything smelled already, smells like oud, patch and leather. I could see similarities with numerous beautiful men's fragrances. So Palindrome II was not far from Santi Burgas, who had so wonderfully transported me to the wave and gothic clubs of my youth. Bois Mystérieux does the same at the beginning. First, slightly gothic patchouli comes around the corner, so I think I'm dancing in the New Wave shed again. But that settles after a while. The secret of this fragrance is the leather. This leather note is so soft and buttery that it conveys a feeling of warmth and also calmness. I think I perceive suede or suede, but my little beak is not that experienced. In the end, I can't say whether it contains oud either. The pyramid says nothing dazz. Still, I'm sure oud fans will like him. Because it gives a subtle smoky-woody touch, as I know it from the somewhat more delicate oud scents, which do not come along with a nasty stable note.

Clearly, for me he's nothing, it's a fragrance I want to sniff on a man. Best on one with a leather jacket and matching bike. And then it's off to dance to my favorite tune, haha!

Many thanks to x57deadsoulx for the bottling.
8.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Cashmere soft, tender Oriental
As an oud opponent, non-user of oriental scents and general wood ignorant (except in softly rinsed sandalwood form), Bois Mystérieux (the original form "Songe d'un Bois d'Été") should never have been allowed to touch my skin for precisely these reasons, but neither should I have let it touch my CD...). But then again, as a Guerlain collector, I am forced to own every respectable bottle of every original line. So after buying the first "Les Absolus d'Orient" fragrances I was almost obliged to at least examine them, even to buy them blind. The saving solution: Sharing! So I was able to test the fragrance and integrate another pretty flacon into my collection without immense expense. I noticed that the scent is hui outside and almost the same inside!
But now in turn...first of all I had the thankless task of filling, believe it or not, 30 mini sprayers of 2 ml each, whereby I always spill at least 10 ml, spray next to it, drain and saturate my hands with it. That's enough for a very intense first impression, and that was: mmmh!
Flattering spiciness, creamy wood.
After hours of work, I washed my hands and went into the (snow) air to blow through my nose. I noticed that my (woollen) scarf had probably also gotten something, which I felt however as very pleasant. I smelled a very fine, creamy clean note, slightly leathery, but incredibly soft. Again: mmmmh.
Now I wanted to know, and sprayed me again directly, mittenmang on the Pulse.
Fortunately, the concentrated power of 100 spice mills passed quickly and what I consider to be saffron mixed with the soft, soft leather and both entered into a balanced, almost equal relationship with the quite oriental spices. Gradually the scent becomes creamier, cleaner (not soapy, but the opposite of dirty-earthy-oudig I mean) and even slightly sweetish-floral!
What's up? Yeah, yeah! Surprise!
So I put up with the Orient.
The scent lasts long (it's still on the scarf!) and doesn't change much until it sleeps to death. The last of about 7-8 hours I find it to be a slightly spicy, cotton-soft leather scent.
Beautiful and not heavy or dominant! (Oud? Where?)
8.0 8.0 9.0/10

A Sensual Fragrance For The Romantic Lothario
Well who would have thought that Guerlain would come out in this day and age with a dirty leathery spicy fragrance done for a gentleman. On first application I get the cumin body odor fragrance mixed in with a leathery woody oud and saffron. The jasmine is used wonderfully to tame the beast so it puurrss and does not growl on your skin.lol

I get the associations with Dior Leather Oud, but this has been created in a more classy way. The scent is very sensual and intimate, the balance between the dark notes is offset well with the floral jasmine.

As time goes by and the spicy cumin note settles down and this scent just gets better and better. It goes into full seduction mode, the oud, leather and floral touched myrrh does smell like you could don suit and become a Lothario for the night.

I would say this fragrance is for the gentleman who wants to attract the ladies. Very well done!
7.5 7.5 9.0/10

A master class from Guerlain
Exclusive in Guerlain boutiques or at Harrods in London, I ordered a small sample of an American site.
This perfume is part of the collection "Deserts d'Orient". I tried and re-tested all 3: Encens Mythique is sweet, reminiscent of the smell of the upper class women that surrounded my childhood; Rose Nacrée is for those who like oud with rose, arguably the most feminine of 3, and very well done; and finally this little secret that only we men should wear: Songe d'un Bois d'Été.
Distinguished, develops along the hours with nuances that only the mastery of a house as Guerlain could reach. Cardamom, the oud (not the medicinal one, but the smoothy one) and a cedar-patchouli base combine in a woody with great involvement. Mesmerizing and very very classy!
In the evening I will test the Christian Dior La Collection Couturier Parfumeur Leather Oud to compare. I'm torn between the two.
Niche houses, learn from these sacred monsters. Guerlain and Dior, no one definitely exceed those in the world of perfumery!
7.5 5.0 2.5 4.0/10

Drseid
Oh No, It's The Dreaded BO...
Songe d'un Bois d'Ete opens with a blast of saffron, soon coupling with a very strong cumin and cardamom combination that unfortunately reminds me more than a bit of the "BO" note I experienced with Declaration by Cartier. The cumin and cardamom combo remains in full force through the heart notes, combining with cedar support and just the faintest whiff of jasmine to sweeten the scent only just a hair. The cumin and cardamom finally begin to fade late into the scent's heart, revealing a fine leather note in the base that finishes off the scent, combining with traces of the remaining saffron spice, cedar and a bit of real oud. Projection is average, with below average longevity.

Songe d'un Bois d'Ete was a bit of a disappointment. The cumin and cardamom that reveal themselves after the first few seconds of development are extremely strong and overpowering. They obscure much of what the scent has to offer and are quite unpleasant smelling. When you finally get past the "BO" accord, there really is a nice dry woody leather and oud combo to be found in the dry-down. That said, it is way too little, too late, and the scent fades to nothing shortly afterwards with its relatively short longevity. At approximately $300 for 75ml of Songe d'un Bois d'Ete one should expect so much more than this... indeed one should expect so much more at a quarter of the price. I give this weak composition a below average 2 out of 5 stars.

SergioT 79 days ago
At first you're hit the cumin and saffron, but then you are presented with the leather, patchouli and woods for a beautiful spicy drydown.+1
9.0
K84 148 days ago
I like this scent but too dry and strong to me. Still thinking about where and when to wear it apart from home.
5.5
R0din 10 months ago
It definitely reminds me of Roja’s UAE. Very rich, very orientalish fragrance! It really deserves a try, for me is a must have.+2

by Mustang69
by Mikeaveli
by MrC0rnells
by MrC0rnells

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Cologne) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain