Champs-Élysées 1996 Eau de Toilette

Champs-Élysées (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain
Bottle Design Robert Granai
Champs-Élysées (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 1996. The scent is floral-fruity. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Olivier Cresp

BlackcurrantBlackcurrant
VioletViolet
Heart Notes Heart NotesLilacLilac
HibiscusHibiscus
Lily of the valleyLily of the valley
MimosaMimosa
PeonyPeony
RoseRose
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoinBenzoin
Almond tree
SandalwoodSandalwood
VanillaVanilla
CedarCedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 25.12.2021.

KStrobel
The sound of the sea, olive groves and the Italian lady
Last year I travelled through Italy in October. Very important to me was a stop in one of my favorite towns: Lerici on the Ligurian coast. The small picturesque village turned my head in my teen years. Now, many years later, it was still at least as beautiful in its bay. Hundreds of fishing boats gently rocking back and forth. Towering above it all, the Castello, perched on top of the cliff. The town is built into the hillside, like so many in the region. If you leave the square directly at the harbour, you have to climb up narrow stairs and steep alleys. Colourfully painted houses, clotheslines stretched metres high. Bed sheets fluttering in the wind.
I was on the way up. A short time before it had rained, the air was steaming. I turned the corner, still on the climb, and.... there it was. A scent that made me forget the exertion for a moment. In my mind immediately the image of a not-so-young Italian woman, still wrapped in her towel after a bath, tearing open the window to let fresh air into the bathroom. I look around, searching for the window, which I assume is the source of the scent. But I can't find it.
The scent is now just a whiff. I keep walking, turning the next corner. There it is again! Stronger this time. Like the waves crashing against the wall down in the harbor, it comes at me, ebbs away, then breaks over me again. I look down the alley in front of me - and spot an Italian woman walking ahead of me at the end of the path. It must be her!
I'm dying to know what that scent is, so wonderfully classy and floral, and so wonderfully fitting for this little town. I catch up with her, speak to her in Italian. She looks a bit puzzled at first (I don't speak well), then she laughs and says she bought the perfume in a perfumery in the neighbouring town. I'm almost disappointed, assuming it's a product that might only be available there. The work of a small local perfumer. But then she says "Guerlain", "Champs-Élysées". And I know that's it. The perfume I've been looking for for so long. The perfect scent for me. That envelops me like a fluffy white towel after a long bath. That smells like Lerici, like lush flower bushes in alleys steaming with summer rain. The next day, in Florence, I find the scent again. I spray it on and let myself be enveloped in that flowery-sweet cloud.... Since then it has accompanied me - and the memory of Italy and this little town above the sea.
Rendezvous in Paris
Where is the best place to meet today in this sunny early spring in Paris?
Montmartre is a bit steep; we are not fit enough to go up there after the last weeks and months, and besides, there is quite a cold wind blowing.
Bois de Boulogne?
Is still a bit early in the year. The first early bloomers have already moved into their beds and smile friendly, but the trees stretch their still bare branches still somewhat bleakly into the blue sky.
Goethe I have already tried once today, but he is known to fit well on many occasions.
This time his "Easter Walk" must serve:
"But flowers are still lacking in the precinct; so she takes preened men for them!"
And where does that take us?
Yes, to the Avenue de Champs-Élysées: that's it! Allez! Allez!
"Preened people" enjoying the warm rays of the sun, strolling serenely from shop window to shop window.
What does fashion say; what's here?
How do I look? (The furtive glance into the glass makes one pluck here and smooth there.)
The colors of the basket awnings over the shiny glass and the colorful first spring wardrobes emphasize the illusion: "... spring, he thinks, is coming this year too!" (A bit of Erich Kästner is welcome here!)
Many cafes have already set outside: should we dare? Or is it still too cool?
The sun warms and: oh, for a small mocha and some macarons it will already go.
Macarons: ever since I saw the photo of lavishly set "Chanel breakfast tray" of my facebook friend Jessica this morning, lamenting the lack of macarons, I've been thinking about these little treats!
True, you can still get the most delicious ones in Paris at "Amorino Arcole" on the Île de la Cité; but we'll save those for another time.

Avenue de Champs-Élysées and macarons: so I'm already in the middle of the fragrance commentary!
Aniseed and almonds enhance the fluffy pastry; melon, peach and blackcurrant lend themselves very well to the delicious creamy filling!
And first violets! Macarons with violets: Oh, how beautiful!
That's a somewhat culinary way to describe the entrée to Guerlain's spring fragrance "Champs-Élysée".
Wonderfully delicate and tantalizingly caress the nose!
The enchanting flower ladies of the heart note are to be found in the small park, which emerged from a pleasure garden from the days of Mary de Medici and Louis XVI.
There, lily of the valley and mimosa, lilac and peony shine in spring; later, the magnificent rose and ornamental hibiscus.
They all donate their rich aroma to this serene work of perfumed art.
Flowering almond trees we may find even now: delicate and lovely in their little pink blossoms of fine fragrance.
A little strength needs this spring goddess in the fragrance course but still: sandalwood is always appropriate and an excellent base for everything that blooms and smells wonderful.
Benzoeharze and silky-silver cedar spice elegantly and not too ponderous, before warm and creamy vanilla fragrance streams embrace everything so far lovingly!
What an endearing fragrance composition was created here!

Longevity and sillage are spring-appropriate; no need to go in with a hammer here: a floral hint over a few hours is a charming companion, after all.
Guerlain's "Champs-Élysées" was created for me in an "in-between era" of fragrance management: the great classics already thrilled, the time of the "fragrance kindergarten" with the lively-light fragrances was not yet in sight.

"Champs-Élysées" certainly makes for a fun afternoon and a fun spring.
(Albeit, alas, without macarons today!)

Jazzy76
Sous le ciel de Paris (under the Paris sky)
This fragrance is the quintessence of the French woman: so bright, so feminine, so lively and dynamic , so romantic. It's a bouquet of fresh flowers sold in a corner of the Ville Lumière.
The violet and lilac notes are noticeable, but the queen is the mimosa, the women's flower, strong and vibrant, giving a touch of happiness to this so feminine accord.
Maybe the warmer base notes of the pyramid aren't so noticeable and, at least on my skin, lasts mainly the flowery heart. The longevity and the sillage for this edt are quite good , but this one is a typical daily scent, to wear maybe in springtime and, for its fragrant mimosas, on the woman day!

Plastinated 'flower'
Watery, screechy, bitter plastic-coated pink floral.

I think its trying to be a peony, but the only sure things about it are that it came from no flower that exists on this planet, and its utterly vile.

What's more, Champs Elysées seems to legitimise the general trend which has gripped certain quarters of the industry of late whereby the production of such obnoxious travesties of nature as Quatre and Figue de Vigne are considered to be valid exercises in perfume creation.

French Kiss
Works best with cold skin, i.e. not freshly showered skin. This is Mimosa, the real deal, not the dreck that Halle Berry tried to foist on us. (much as I admire the woman) Accacia trees flower (here) in late winter when they have little competition and I bear this in mind as I review Champs Elysees. Not a strongly scented creature out in the landscape; not a strongly scented perfume either, but it has had some very bad press and that needs to be diluted somewhat. This is an elusive scent. Some bombshells say 'Kiss me' ...Champs Elysees is the girl who touches her lips, knowing she has been kissed. He won't ask what the scent is, because it melded into the scent of a woman. Did that happen the last time I saw Paris? I wish. Let it join the ranks of understated perfumes, the ones that you replace, like Hiris, Noa or Jour d'Hermes. Lovely! (with apologies to SJP)

Fresh clothes
Although there has been a lot of positive reviews, it can still go a bit wrong when buying a perfume. I can feel now, after an hour, that this is not a perfume for my bodychemistry. It's NOT that I think it smells bad but there is something in it that bothers me. Perhaps it is that the flowers are a bit too pushy in the beginning and that the scent that emerges afterwards reminds too much on freshly washed clothes. I miss that wonderful creaminess that I was expecting. This perfume is like no other fragrance I've tried from Guerlain. It lacks somehow the depth and character that is the hallmark of Guerlain. I give the scent 3/5. The bottle is beautiful as all the bottles from Guerlain

jtd
Hhhmmmm... Is it me or CE?
Starts off with competing notes of a shallow but sharp sweetness and an insecticide-floral. They merge for a bit, then the insecticide (which I'd hoped would win) gives way to a sweet, bland floral. It's blaring, though. It's like sitting near a very loud conversation in a language you don't understand. You can't escape the volume, but you haven't the least idea what's actually going on. It comes at you from every angle, but isn't intriguing. While it hits a number of strong tones, sweet, floral, bright (fluorescent) metallic, it becomes tiresome very quickly.

I find CE very off-putting, but I must admit that this type of perfume isn't my bag and I have trouble here distinguishing between what doesn't appeal to me and what is in fact unsuccessful overall.

Awesomeness
Fruity Floral Lovers - Take note!
The reformulated version certainly is not as bad as Turin makes it out to be, and it's much better than much of the rubbish on the market today.

To me, CE is the perfect fruity floral for perfumistas who don't want to smell like a fruity floral. It's very well-balanced & well-blended, a bit bubbly & a tad bright, and devoid the typical sugar-laden mess in the category. My disappointment is that its green character does not come through for me.

It's a good everyday scent, but not one I would wear every day. I blind bought a 30ml bottle of EdT at about $20 shipped. However, had I sampled first, I would not have purchased.

Scent of Sprintime
For me Champs-Elysées is a springtime scent. Reminds me of sparkling good moods and happy feel. Mimosa is wonderfull in it. I think this is wonderfull daytime scent. If You love Yvresse, I think You love Champs-Elysées too. This have been in my collection as long as Guerlain launched this sunny Beauty, and I will always keep one bottle on my shelf. And if necessary will purhcase extra bottle if they will discontinue. Champs-Elysées is also the scent I chose to this first of May. With Champs-Elysées its good to wellcome summer and enjoy the day.

Good For A Casual Fling, Not A Long-Term Commitment
CHAMPS ELYSEES has always struck me as the Guerlain fragrance for people who dislike Guerlain. I hope that Guerlainophiles will not be offended, but this light, fruity, playful, almost fizzy liquid bears within its affable nature none of the profundity of the classics.

CHAMPS ELYSEES is a friendly fragrance, which could scarcely offend anyone--it is so agreeable and easy to get along with: neither too sweet nor intoxicatingly deep.

This is not to say, however, as some reviewers have claimed, that CE is cheap. This is a very high-quality, well-constructed fragrance, but it is really geared for women who do not take perfume very seriously, I think. I do not mean to suggest that perfumistas cannot like CHAMPS-ELYSEES--some obviously do. But I think that this creation was launched to capture a much broader consumer niche.

There are often occasions, however, even for those of us who love to indulge in the depths of L'HEURE BLEUE, MITSOUKO, and friends, when something lighter is called for. CHAMPS ELYSEES answers that need. A slightly sweet floral that has real appeal and is great for an occasional date but could never turn into a long-term relationship requiring serious metaphysical commitment.

TangerineTangerine 1 year ago
Please bring back the original bottle for Champs, it's enough of this bee bottle mish-mash! I beg you!
Jazzy76Jazzy76 4 years ago
a romantic bouquet dominated by the mimosa note. Very fresh, light and feminin. I remember the advertisement with Sophie Marceau.Lovely
Bcars10Bcars10 4 years ago
4.5
Should've known better when I saw peach. That, & lilac!!! Now all I need here is lavender and the trifecta of olfactory torture is complete.

by Zora
by Echtdufte
by Lilau
by Lilau

Popular Guerlain

Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Millésime Vanilla Planifolia by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Derby (1985) (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain