Champs-Élysées (1996) Eau de Toilette

Champs-Élysées (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain
Bottle Design: Robert Granai

Champs-Élysées (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 1996. The scent is floral-fruity. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Olivier Cresp

Top Notes Top NotesAniseed, Almond, Melon, Peach, Blackcurrant, Violet
Heart Notes Heart NotesLilac, Hibiscus, Lily-of-the-valley, Mimosa, Peony, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoin, Almond tree, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 31.08.2019

10.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Santalwalti
You're very quiet and maybe that's why you're seductive
The perfume, an eau de toilette, is beautiful. I like it very much. At first I wasn't so aware of it, but the more I spray it on, the more I like it. I must say it is wonderful, like a gentle, intimate kiss on the neck, ...a kiss that spontaneously expresses a deep feeling, not passionate or wild, but prudent and connected with real, personal feeling. Where the hand imperceptibly touches the kissing place again and again and where one quietly asks oneself: "Has this really happened? Was that really my kiss? "

Champs-Élysées is loving and its fragrance has a long lasting effect inside, enveloping, pampering, enchanting in a very discreet way, allowing a pleasant tranquillity to arise, but at the same time radiating elegance and beauty, as emanated from noble flowers.... there would be light purple lilac, a pink hibiscus, bright white lily of the valley, a pale pink peony, which smells soapy and then especially citrus and green meadow scented roses. When I close my eyes, I feel as if countless rose petals are staggering through the air, colouring the whole sky with a soft pink...

Again and again this fragrance reminds me of an art picture, a painting that seems a bit modern despite my romantic feeling. Maybe this has something to do with the creamy soapy prelude to the perfume, in which I smell peach very clearly. I also perceive a discreet almond or marzipan note - next to the pert, clearly powdery violet. On the painter's canvas there is no concrete, tangible motif, but silky-smooth forms, partly round, partly oval, partly square and partly triangular... the colours are held in pale salmon tones and delicate lime green and light purple, everything seems clear, almost geometrically arranged and yet all forms touch each other and seem to overlap in colour and flow gently into each other.

Champs-Élysées is seductive, is very romantic, very mild and soft in its fragrance restaurant. And yet it is of a rather modest nature; its odeur unfortunately doesn't last long at all, it flies much too fast for my taste. The base notes do not seem very powerful, are not able to capture the scent on the skin, to fix it. So I spray a lot.
But what am I supposed to do? I've attached my heart to it. I'm very, very fond of this Guerlain. After my Shalimar, the Eau de Parfum, my second Guerlain, which I could fall for.

To call a perfume 'Champs-Élysées' is touching in itself. I like this chanson so much, especially in the version of ZAZ... The lyrical text also speaks of being in love, it says "I walked alone through this city, which has a lot to offer. Then I saw you passing by and said "Bonjour" to you. I took you to a cafe where I found out your name was René. When I think of this hour, I only sing

Oh Champs-Élysées
Oh Champs-Élysées
Sun is shining, rain is running
Either way, we're both
So glad to see you again Oh Champs-Élysées

How wonderful the evening was over there in the small bar where Joe played guitar just for the two of us. I danced with you all night, laughed with you...and when we left again, it was ten after three < br />
Oh Champs-Élysées...

This is my summary: This fragrance is wonderful, unique, has recognition value, it is quiet and possibly therefore very seductive. Champs-Élysées is a very gentle, mildly soapy floral magic that wraps itself around me like a breath of wind and flies very quickly, too quickly. Still, I've grown fond of him, and I don't want to be without him anymore. It is also nice that soapy notes turn into powdery or floral-fruity notes. A multi-faceted fragrance that has something to say, especially to the wearer.

And thank you, dear Clarissa, for your rehearsal and this beautiful fragrance experience!
10.0 7.0 7.0 7.5/10

Jazzy76
Sous le ciel de Paris (under the Paris sky)
This fragrance is the quintessence of the French woman: so bright, so feminin, so lively and dynamic , so romantic. It's a bouquet of fresh flowers sold in a corner of the Ville Lumière.
The violet and lilac notes are noticeable, but the queen is the mimosa, the women's flower, strong and vibrant, giving a touch of happiness to this so feminin acchord.
Maybe the warmer base notes of the pyramid aren't so noticeable and, at least on my skin, lasts mainly the flowery heart. The longevity and the sillage for this edt are quite good , but this one is a typical daily scent, to wear maybe in springtime and, for its fragrant mimosas, on the woman day!

Plastinated 'flower'
Watery, screechy, bitter plastic-coated pink floral.

I think its trying to be a peony, but the only sure things about it are that it came from no flower that exists on this planet, and its utterly vile.

What's more, Champs Elysées seems to legitimise the general trend which has gripped certain quarters of the industry of late whereby the production of such obnoxious travesties of nature as Quatre and Figue de Vigne are considered to be valid exercises in perfume creation.

French Kiss
Works best with cold skin, i.e. not freshly showered skin. This is Mimosa, the real deal, not the dreck that Halle Berry tried to foist on us. (much as I admire the woman) Accacia trees flower (here) in late winter when they have little competition and I bear this in mind as I review Champs Elysees. Not a strongly scented creature out in the landscape; not a strongly scented perfume either, but it has had some very bad press and that needs to be diluted somewhat. This is an elusive scent. Some bombshells say 'Kiss me' ...Champs Elysees is the girl who touches her lips, knowing she has been kissed. He won't ask what the scent is, because it melded into the scent of a woman. Did that happen the last time I saw Paris? I wish. Let it join the ranks of understated perfumes, the ones that you replace, like Hiris, Noa or Jour d'Hermes. Lovely! (with apologies to SJP)
10.0 5.0 4.0/10

Fresh clothes
Although there has been a lot of positive reviews, it can still go a bit wrong when buying a perfume. I can feel now, after an hour, that this is not a perfume for my bodychemistry. It's NOT that I think it smells bad but there is something in it that bothers me. Perhaps it is that the flowers are a bit too pushy in the beginning and that the scent that emerges afterwards reminds too much on freshly washed clothes. I miss that wonderful creaminess that I was expecting. This perfume is like no other fragrance I've tried from Guerlain. It lacks somehow the depth and character that is the hallmark of Guerlain. I give the scent 3/5. The bottle is beautiful as all the bottles from Guerlain

jtd
Hhhmmmm... Is it me or CE?
Starts off with competing notes of a shallow but sharp sweetness and an insecticide-floral. They merge for a bit, then the insecticide (which I'd hoped would win) gives way to a sweet, bland floral. It's blaring, though. It's like sitting near a very loud conversation in a language you don't understand. You can't escape the volume, but you haven't the least idea what's actually going on. It comes at you from every angle, but isn't intriguing. While it hits a number of strong tones, sweet, floral, bright (fluorescent) metallic, it becomes tiresome very quickly.

I find CE very off-putting, but I must admit that this type of perfume isn't my bag and I have trouble here distinguishing between what doesn't appeal to me and what is in fact unsuccessful overall.
3.0/10

Awesomeness
Fruity Floral Lovers - Take note!
The reformulated version certainly is not as bad as Turin makes it out to be, and it's much better than much of the rubbish on the market today.

To me, CE is the perfect fruity floral for perfumistas who don't want to smell like a fruity floral. It's very well-balanced & well-blended, a bit bubbly & a tad bright, and devoid the typical sugar-laden mess in the category. My disappointment is that its green character does not come through for me.

It's a good everyday scent, but not one I would wear every day. I blind bought a 30ml bottle of EdT at about $20 shipped. However, had I sampled first, I would not have purchased.

Scent of Sprintime
For me Champs-Elysées is a springtime scent. Reminds me of sparkling good moods and happy feel. Mimosa is wonderfull in it. I think this is wonderfull daytime scent. If You love Yvresse, I think You love Champs-Elysées too. This have been in my collection as long as Guerlain launched this sunny Beauty, and I will always keep one bottle on my shelf. And if necessary will purhcase extra bottle if they will discontinue. Champs-Elysées is also the scent I chose to this first of May. With Champs-Elysées its good to wellcome summer and enjoy the day.
7.5 7.5 7.5 6.0/10

Good For A Casual Fling, Not A Long-Term Commitment
CHAMPS ELYSEES has always struck me as the Guerlain fragrance for people who dislike Guerlain. I hope that Guerlainophiles will not be offended, but this light, fruity, playful, almost fizzy liquid bears within its affable nature none of the profundity of the classics.

CHAMPS ELYSEES is a friendly fragrance, which could scarcely offend anyone--it is so agreeable and easy to get along with: neither too sweet nor intoxicatingly deep.

This is not to say, however, as some reviewers have claimed, that CE is cheap. This is a very high-quality, well-constructed fragrance, but it is really geared for women who do not take perfume very seriously, I think. I do not mean to suggest that perfumistas cannot like CHAMPS-ELYSEES--some obviously do. But I think that this creation was launched to capture a much broader consumer niche.

There are often occasions, however, even for those of us who love to indulge in the depths of L'HEURE BLEUE, MITSOUKO, and friends, when something lighter is called for. CHAMPS ELYSEES answers that need. A slightly sweet floral that has real appeal and is great for an occasional date but could never turn into a long-term relationship requiring serious metaphysical commitment.
7.5 5.0 7.5 7.0/10

Bassavina
I love Champs Elysées, so take that, Luca Turin!
This is a departure from the formal architectonic Guerlains of the past. It is first of all floral, not a syrupy tuberose-laden floral, but a springtime floral of muguet and lilac that evokes a city garden. The Guerlinade, a cushion of vanilla, tonka, and coumarin, is not so evident here. Where the older Guerlains are velvet, this is silk organza, light and festive. Luca Turin disparages this fragrance savagely; myself I get a little frisson of "sez you!" when wearing it which only adds to my pleasure.
5.0 5.0 7.0/10

A glorious spring day
I find it hard to resist this beautiful, classic fragrance.

When I first smelt Champs Elysees, my immediate thoughts were pear. A juicy, ripe, delicious pear.

Although pear isn't listed as one of the notes, it could be the combination of peach and melon that gives it this quality.

I love that Champs Elysees reminds me of home-made fruit salad, glorious Spring days and the immense feeling of happiness.

When the pear note subsides I am left with a gorgeous blend of rose, mimose and hibiscus. Hidden amongst the floral notes I also sense a subtle hint of sparkling white wine, which makes this scent even more addictive.

Champs Elysees is like sunshine in a bottle to me, and is quickly becoming one of my favourites. The lasting power is amazing, lasts the whole day, and seems to have the versatility to suit any age group. I was ashamed to think that I once assumed this was a fragrance for mature women. I'm glad Champs Elysees has proved me wrong.

I'm urging anyone of any age to test this perfume. I'd be surprised if anyone truly disliked it.

Jazzy76 16 months ago
a romantic bouquet dominated by the mimosa note. Very fresh, light and feminin. I remember the advertisement with Sophie Marceau.Lovely+1
10.0
Bcars10 2 years ago
Should've known better when I saw peach. That, & lilac!!! Now all I need here is lavender and the trifecta of olfactory torture is complete.+1
5.0

by Echtdufte
by Lilau
by Lilau

Popular Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Jicky (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain