Cologne du 68 2006

Cologne du 68 by Guerlain
Cologne du 68 is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and men and was released in 2006. The scent is floral-spicy. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Sophie Labbé

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 25.12.2021.

This Eau de Toilette contains exactly 68 fragrant ingredients: Bergamot, Green mandarine, Lemon, Clementine, Citron, Bood orange, Lime, Grapefruit leaf, Basil, Fennel, Star anise, Lavender, Laurel, Cypress, Elemi, Thyme, Myrtle, Neroli, Mandarin oil, Lemon oil, Pear, Violet leaf, Ivy, Gentian, Currant juice, Freesia, Lily-of-the-valley, Hazelnut, Cyclamen, Cardamom, Coriander, Black pepper, Pink pepper, Nutmeg, Ginger, Jasmine, Frangipani, Magnolia, Orange blossom, Peony, Rose, Carnation, Ylang-Ylang, Litchi, Fig, Blackberry, Everlasting flower, Pistachio, Opoponax, Amber, Benzoin, Vanilla, Cistus, Heliotrope, Iris, Tonka bean, Sage, Musk, Patchouli, Oud, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Ambrette seed, Praline, Myrrh, Lichen.

Neukölln 29 - Guerlain Goes Le Labo
For this "cologne of 68" the name model was not the 68 generation, but it is program music in the double sense: On the one hand, the name is to remind of the Guerlain boutique with the address "68, Avenue des Champs-Elysées", on the other hand, in this cologne record-breaking 68 ingredients are brewed.

Nothing new under the sun: the idea of naming perfume names after house numbers of shops can already be called hackneyed (I won't mention any examples from haute perfumery, but merely 4711, a Cologne house number, and 378, a house number in Groß-Meseritsch in Bohemia, see the aftershave of the same name). And the quirk of making the number of fragrances part of the name is actually Le Labo's specialty.

The fragrance is not to be confused with 'Le Parfum du 68', also by Guerlain, but released almost 10 years later and created not by Sophie Labbé, but by Thierry Wasser. Nor are they two concentrations of the same fragrance. Only a few fragrance notes are given for 'Parfum du 68', and on the German Guerlain website there is the maximally precise sentence "In this Eau de Parfum, a certain harmony of the Cologne du 68, which has already paid tribute to the legendary address, can be found again". Soso, "a certain harmony can be found again". All right.

The cologne is listed at Parfumo under "is still produced", but I have certain doubts about that, because I find the cologne on the Internet only on the secondary market, but I also have not searched for hours.

Mourning I would not necessarily carry in view of the demise of this fragrance.

Upon testing, my first cue was "tingling wood spiciness." The cologne is consistently, in all scent phases, recognizable as such. The citrusy trail is so thickly drawn that you don't have to be a pledge finder not to lose it by the end. It's no wonder, either, since 12 of the 68 fragrance notes are citrusy. For the tingle I perceived, the suspicion falls on freesia, ambrette, and two kinds of pepper, and at least three kinds of wood are there, too.

In the further course I make, in this order (not chronologically, but in decreasing order sorted by strength) fruity, floral, green and sweet-gourmandige aroma carpets, but would - already because of the pizza-with-everything concept of the fragrance - never want to argue with those whose perception prioritizes differently.

Overall, for me, although a distinctive citrus-fresh, but integrated by a broad spectrum of aromas, with time increasingly creamy-soft and densely woven seeming fragrance; quite harmonious, despite the countless and disparate fragrance notes not dissonant, restless and nervous, quite forming a whole, but for me nevertheless too directionless. Thus, like the 4711-er reviewed yesterday, which went not in the number but in the nature of the ingredients to the limits of the cologne genre, a nice and by no means failed overall experiment, but just rather an experiment than a fragrance to love and wear.

To add:

With a rather generous pricing (on 100 ml: over 2 euros per ingredient) is exercised in the performance a distinguished restraint, which does credit to a Turkish supermarket Kolonya.

Also here a relatively large agreement in the all worth reading pre-reviews, perhaps it is worthwhile here also times to scroll back to the early days of Parfumo (comments by Apicius and Ergoproxy).

Perfumer Sophie Labbé is extremely prolific (olfactorially speaking), she is responsible for 253 fragrances of various brands here, though I don't know a single one intrinsically, and at most half a dozen by name. In 2017, she created the minimalist fragrance "The Moon and I" by Floraiku with the three scents mate, matcha tea and cedar, showing that she wants to be able to do 'little' as well as 'much'.
Tom27
A little bit of everything
Cologne du 68 is one of the most unusual fragrances I have had the pleasure of testing so far. Even the manufacturers' side speaks of 68 different components, which, when mixed together, should result in a harmonious fragrance experience. I was very sceptical whether it would be possible to conjure up a homogeneous, fragrant scent from the following ingredients.

These are, if I read correctly:
Bergamot, green tangerine, lemon, clementine, lemonate, blood orange, lime, grapefruit leaf, basil, fennel, star anise, lavender, laurel, cypress, elemi, thyme, Myrtle, neroli, mandarin oil, lemon oil, pear, violet leaf, ivy, gentian, currant juice, freesia, lily of the valley, hazelnut leaf, cyclamen, cardamom, coriander, black pepper, pink pepper, nutmeg, ginger, jasmine, frangipani, magnolia, orange blossom, peony, rose, carnation, ylang ylang, lychee, fig, blackberry, strawflower, pistachio, Opoponax, amber, benzoin, vanilla, cistus, heliotrope, iris, tonka bean, sage, musk, patchouli, oud, cedar wood, sandalwood, vetiver, ambrette seed, praline, myrrh and lichen

At the latest here it was clear to me that I would not be able to smell out all the ingredients here.
The test could begin. Shortly after spraying, I began to notice a strongly spiced citrus fruit, which was soon pushed back by various green notes and a fragrance of fresh earth, crushed twigs and leaves prevailed. The fragrance experience was accompanied by summery blossoms, cool lavender, pepper and sweet aniseed. Various resinous notes support and strengthen the latent spices in the most pleasant way. I perceived the peppery notes and the sage most intensely.
Cologne du 68 was incredibly multifaceted in this phase. No sooner had you got used to an impression of scent than you were overrun by a wave of scent with something completely new.
This interplay continued into a warm, soft amber base. Even in this phase it remained diverse and exciting. Soapy notes of iris, heliotrope, carnation, white musk and orange blossom shared the field with earthy notes of tonka bean, sage, opoponax, vetiver and oakmoss. The fragrance was rounded off here by the light sweetness of praline, vanilla and benzoin.
All in all, Cologne du 68 achieves a good projection, with a durability of about 7 hours on my skin.
I recommend the autumn or spring as a gestation period.
If you like a varied, complex, beautifully blended fragrance, you can strike here without hesitation.

Thanks for reading.

An unisex 'franken-Guerlain'
Technically, Cologne du 68 is a cologne-like (surprised, I'm sure) citrus-floral composition, which stands on unexpectedly heavy oriental base. Closest relative from Guerlain's own catalog would most likely be L'Instant pour Homme (if my memory serves me right).

The anise note outlasts the citrusy opening and eventualy fades giving room for the heart, which is essentially floral. The opening actually reminded me quite a lot of Dior's Dune pour Homme. They both are supposed to have fig, but I suspect this time the similarity is not as much about having shared note(s) than it is about the way the aromatic edge of the classical cologne theme has been tuned down and softened. With this many notes listed, it's funny how gardenia isn't one of them. I'm no floral expert for sure, but I could swear I get lots of it.

The dry-down is unmistakably Guerlain, or even more so something desperately trying to pass as Guerlain. Somehow I feel the dry-down doesn't fit into the picture at all. And in the end, that's how I feel about this fragrance in general: the structure is confusing and the dots don't connect.

As gender-neutral as it gets.

Not bad by any means. I'm sure I'd choose to wear it, if I received it as a gift. But if it came to spending my own money on Guerlain's current offerings, there would be plenty of better choices for me, personally.

Stranger In The Night
Allow me to recount my alarming experience on first encountering this compelling substance. The evening was passed pleasantly with a scented companion: dinner and sharing our latest fragrance finds and fancies. He had brought this, all three flavours of Rive Gauche PH, Givenchy III and lord knows what all else. Immoderate as I can be where olfactory pleasures are concerned, I was adorned with them all in short order.

I was aware of this as a moderate cologne with an essential oil blend twist, but it did not stand out particularly amongst or against the other samplings.

Returning home I slumbered the blissful sleep of innocence and perhaps a slight prandial over-indulgence... Until at one in the morning I woke suddenly, convinced a stranger had entered the bedroom. But it was an intensifying powdery note of the C68. Abbreviated thus, the name of this beast resembles that of the symbol for a radioactive isotope, which is not far wrong!

There are rumours of a new EdP strength release of this?

*trembles*
2.5

Best Guerlain?
A modest beauty, but a beauty it is.

A very characteristic product of Guerlain, still I think it is more interesting to me than any other Guerlain before.
Being an eau de cologne it is not strong and I regret that, but the scent itself is a wonder and a gem.
Soft and fresh this EdC presents itself, with a unique combination of flowers and quite some fruit. No sharpness from citruses, iris or frangipani: a sweet temperance is achieved by linden blossom, jasmin and vanilla. Towards the drydown a subtle herbal concoction of sage and rosemary accompanies this sweetheart home.

I, for one, am very impressed.

Apicius
Eau de Cologne or Perfume?
Is this still an Eau de Cologne? Or already a full-grown perfume? Is it best of both worlds, or is it something undecided?

With 68 fragrance notes, this cologne is by far too opulent for an Eau. There are notes that one would never expect in a classic Eau de Cologne, such as tonka bean, vanilla and even oud. It has at least Eau de Toilette strength, and the perfumer succeded in fixing the tender citric Eau de Cologne notes for quite a while.

As we generally know it from the “grown-up” Guerlain perfumes, analysing the fragrance's ingredients can be in vain. Not much is standing out from the 68. My general impression is that it starts quite Eau de Cologne-ish, but then turns very warm and mellow, with soft woods, some creamy aspects and a rather woody version of Guerlinade. If anything can be said about Cologne du 68 then that it is typically Guerlain. To be honest, I find it something like a Guerlain mainstream: very much in the middle of more pronounced releases, with its citruses borrowed from Eau de Guerlain and the mellow woodiness of Arsène Lupin Voyou.

Both of these aspects go together well: Cologne du 68 is just a decent bit more than a light Cologne, but without the guts to form a complete unique character of its own. As such, it will appeal to Guerlain connoisseurs, but it might be difficult to get some audience at the Maison Guerlain counter.

Also, I would not have bought it if it wasn't offered to me as a bargain for a ridiculously low price. Occasionally, I wear it, and with pleasure. It simply provides something mellow, woody and slightly citric around you that is not so demanding as to catch people's attention. With its oriental and woody twist, Cologne du 68 should not count as a summer fragrance – it fits better to autumn or generally the colder season.

Cologne du 68 is around for quite a while now, and I would not have expected it to hold on to the market. Alas, it has not been discontinued, and so, somebody must buy it. I think it is a must-have for Guerlain enthusiasts but maybe not for everybody else.

Different
Everytime i see Guerlain this scent comes to my mind. This is a well constructed blend that's very unique. Unisex for sure.

Smells much the "guerlinade" note already talked everywhere.

Sillage, lasting power and projection are medium.

Definetely worth it and thumbs up!

Updated January 2014

A Guerlain Masculine
Cologne 68 is a bit of a surprise to me. From the packaging to the notes, I was expecting a scent that's slightly more masculine than unisex, and I think it is. However, as someone who rarely can pull off unisex fragrances - particularly those teetering on the masculine side - I wasn't expecting to like it, but I do.

Cologne 68 opens redolent of citrus varietals. The opening lasts a 15-20 minutes or so. Guerlain's vanilla, which Guerlain does so well, is immediately noticeable, and it stays with the fragrance throughout the wear. Perhaps the vanilla is why this fragrance can work for some women.

The fragrance begins to take on an herbal character, although the herbals aren't as rough as other masculines, and I don't sense florals as a dominant aspect of the fragrance, although other reviewers often do. It's a tad powdery and feels very vintage & classic. However, at the end of the day, it's a cologne, a masculine cologne that smells better on my husband than on I.

Overall, it's full-bodied and well-rounded for a cologne, and I get a good 3-5 hours of wear. Cologne 68 failed the overnight test, but honestly that was expected. The cologne reinvigorates itself with a fresh spray.

With online prices well under $50 shipped in the US, I don't think you can go wrong given the quality. If you love Guerlain masculines, I think you can purchase it blind. If you have difficulty wearing masculines or prefer feminines, test it first.

Shelf Warmer
On the German site, Ergoproxy surmised that the 68 might be a slow seller. At least at one of my local Mueller drugstores this proved very true: I watched a leftover bottle being reduced over and over for half a year until it was half price and the box was so derelict I could take out the bottle and test it. That was the time when I wrote the German review, hinting that if anyone wanted it I'd be willing to purchase and mail it for them since it was one of the Guerlain scents I didn't care much for.

Although I like many creations from that house, including traditional ones like "Jicky", "Shalimar", "Mitsouko" and more modern ones like "Vetiver" as well as exclusives like "Vega" and "Angèlique Noire" this EdC seemed somehat nondescript to me, the only novel thing being the showy naming of 68 ingredients - but I couldn't discern more than half a dozen anyway, just a few spices (thyme, maybe some basil), a bit of sandalwood and a very soft musk ...

I ended up buying it and sending it to Germany for Jella after decanting a gulp that ended up with my sister's boyfriend. I guess I'll stay with Guerlain's more accentuated products.

by Miaw2
by Miaw2
by aoe
by aoe
by Sunnyiland
by Sunnyiland

Popular Guerlain

Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Millésime Vanilla Planifolia by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain