Coriolan (1998)Eau de Toilette

Coriolan (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain
Bottle Design Robert Granai

Coriolan (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for men and was released in 1998. The scent is spicy-woody. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Neroli, Petitgrain, Sage, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesBasil, Ginger, Coriander, Nutmeg, Pepper, Juniper, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoin, Oakmoss, Leather, Patchouli, Vetiver

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 26.01.2019.

Underrated! (by me too)
A classic formal herbal-mossy fougère with a leather base accord, aldehydes and a floral-spicy “barbershop” heart (citrus, coriander, lavender, tonka) on woods, mostly vetiver to my nose. Honestly a little dull at first to me, as it reminded me a lot of other cheaper (quality and price wise) scents of that era based on the same herbal-floral-leather structure. Coriolan is undoubtedly pleasant, mellow and refined, and you can tell it’s a Guerlain by the particular high quality of the composition, the solid feel of elegance, the range of colorful nuances from soapy, to leathery, to bitter-greenish and to smoky: yet... well, to me it’s not exactly a must unless you’re really a Guerlain collector or a fougère enthusiast, this meaning it is rather conventional and as I said, not that far from most of other similar fougères from the ‘80s or the ‘90s. Let’s put it this way: good and classy, and surely an utter pleasure to wear, but in my opinion probably the most negligible among Guerlain’s “vintage” masculine offerings (obviously they’ve done worse later on...).

6,5-7/10

EDIT: I revisited this having the chance to wear it more properly for one day. It's much better than my review above, the keys are its understatement and above all, the evolution, which is fantastic and leading to an incredibly elegant, rich and nuanced drydown. Still nothing "groundbreaking" but easy to underrate.

MasterLi
The Perfect Outdoor Fragrance!
Very green, very peppery scent. Almost herbal opening,slightly bitter at first, but very well blended in the dry-down. Could be considered a mature gentleman's scent. However a very green, fresh and sharp fragrance which could be considered a classic. To me definitely an "outdoors" kind of scent, but on the right person this would certainly give a very positive, elegant and refined type of masculine vibe. Which would be very welcome. Would recommend both for formal and informal wear.

jtd
On the Limits of Context, or, I'm an Idiot.
I remember this one from a few years ago as a sort of mild fougère with a juniper note. I prefer a hard, rougher fougère. The common ground of lavender and coumarin is small yet significant, but their difference is what makes a fougère hold together. The fougère accord works well with broad brush strokes.

I stupidly gave away my bottle of Coriolan a few years ago, and with the retrospect of sense memory have dwelled on it ever since. I bought it again yesterday and had such a great surprise. It’s not a weak fougère, it’s a chypre. And a nicely blended, well proportioned one at that. What on earth had I been thinking? Especially in an age of oakmoss nostalgia, what a beautiful thing to fall in my lap. What I disliked when I viewed it as a fougère (timid, finicky) is exactly what makes it so pleasant as a chypre. It is harmonious from start to finish; there are no elbows jutting out. There is the bitterness of the bergamot and moss, but it is balanced by a sweet quality from the juniper. There is a cool herbal quality, but it doesn’t read as culinary. I don’t find it particularly forceful and the sillage is minimal to moderate. I think the blended quality could be read as noncommital, but I find its ease very comfortable.

by DemonHead
by MarkStar
by Vawallpa
by Vawallpa

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain