Cuir Beluga (2005)

Cuir Beluga by Guerlain
Cuir Beluga (Guerlain)
Cuir Beluga (Guerlain)

Cuir Beluga is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and men and was released in 2005. The scent is sweet-powdery. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Olivier Polge

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Mandarin
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouli, Strawflower
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Heliotrope, Vanilla, Suede

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 11.12.2018

Cuir Beluga is part of the collection "L'Art et la Matière".

Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 9.5/10
Homage to vanilla
Last year I was happy. Happy smelling Jade/SoOud.
A blind purchase.
What a scent.
Nobody can get to ∞ I thought.

I knew Guerlain from the series "L'Art et la Matière". There were some bottlings, too. I could never really decide which one was my absolute darling. Met again and again my smell expectation and/or it is also for each cause something thereby. Often I have then also taken to Spiritueuse Double Vanilla (about which I could also let myself out for a long time)
Conclusion: Guerlain and I are going great.
Further insight: I like vanilla. Vanilla goes with them also always, and - is often also from the game.

So to get back to Jade, my favourite seductive vanilla perfume: I didn't expect anything similar to it. I was so enthusiastic about the special feature of this fragrance.
And then the pocket sprayer Cuir Beluga arrived (thank you, Azura). Surprise - Jade clearly had one player in the league.

Do I have to make up my mind now?
The Sillage of Cuir Beluga is more perceptible for me, but the durability of Jade is somewhat better (in the evening on it, in the morning still in the nose), whereby Cuir Beluga is also tidy.
And - the Cuir Beluga bottle is plain, the way I like it.

I am now no longer specifically Jade or Cuir Beluga or Spiritueuse Double Vanilla decayed. But definitely a vanilla lover and this one is decaying.
The perfumes are a highlight for the autumn and also for the following cold winter.
So I'm looking forward to it and to more that will give me vanilla.

Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Soft leather with vanilla taste
Beluga. Although the name stands for the white whale, it reminds me of something completely different. Something that's even fictional. Namely Beruga, a character from a video game that I had played more than 15 years ago and that has remained in my head until today, because of the great story and because of the happy moments of success in the game, which just grabbed me back then. (For those who are interested, the game was Terranigma on Super Nintendo,... what a feeling it was to get your own ship at some point, with which you could travel the whole game world,... I digress...).

There you see again, what for memories certain smells can release already due to a name in one... however while all the others think of other things like the love or something else, I remember of course of a video game... because I am such a stupid freak, oh no *sore without end*
...
*sigh*

Well... The term Beluga was chosen here only because the fragrance is supposed to reflect the softness of white velour, or something similar, if I understood correctly... and because it is also a Guerlain fragrance, I am as always especially curious :)

The fragrance:
The fragrance begins immediately leathery, but also slightly citric and vanilla-sweet at the same time. The mandarin has certain difficulties in perceiving it correctly, but it can still be sniffed in the ascending scent, at least for a short time. The aldehydes seemed to me to be even shorter, and they seemed to have evaporated again immediately. The leather and the vanilla smell immediately and also quite intensively.
Later there are some flowery notes in the background, but I can't identify them. Fortunately, they don't smell stuffy, even if a strawflower should sound dry somehow, if you can smell it at all.
Even later, the scent continues to smell sweetish vanilla, while the leather becomes a little weaker. In addition, there is a little amber and, if you are sniffing concentrated, some heliotrope, whose fragrance reminds a little of almonds.

The radiation and the durability:
The Sillage is only good at the beginning, but it falls off quickly, so that it is more above average. Even if he can be sniffed at one of them, I think he is a bit too weak for the winter, but well, as I said, it's still okay.
But the durability is quite high, because it lasts more than twelve hours.

The bottle:
The bottle is rectangular and has gold metal plaques on the sides. The name of the fragrance is written on it and you can see the logo of Guerlain. The front and back of the bottle are transparent so that you can see the golden scent liquid. The name Guerlain is written at the bottom of the thick glass. The fragrances are delivered with a golden spray head and a nice pump ball, although I think I was recently told that the pump balls had been abolished... Anyway, a beautiful and nobly made bottle.

So, this fragrance is very beautiful and pleasantly soft. You can almost feel the velvety surface of a suede leather. But since you can also smell quite intense vanilla, it is not necessarily as if you were sitting on a leather couch, for example. Or it's like sitting on a leather couch, but you spilled a whole bucket of vanilla ice cream on it and the cat licks it partially, while you panically and hectically get things to clean... :D

Like all L'Art et la Matière fragrances, this fragrance cuts a very good figure here, smells good, but is unfortunately a bit weaker in its charisma, at least for the fact that its fragrance is more in autumn and winter. But because it is not so strong, I call it an all-rounder, so that it could also be used in low doses in spring.

Anyway, it lies very nicely on the skin, is as said very soft and could also be used as something like a cuddly smell... well, if you have someone to cuddle, waaaah, of course not me... *sigh* Well then I grab the hangover, which is also warm and just cuddly :)

In any case, I recommend to test it (the scent :D) in any case, especially if you like leathery scents
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 10.0/10
Quiet perfection.
From beginning to end, this fragrance speaks of luxury. Like white suede chamois gloves or the soft white leather interior of a luxury car, it doesn't get any better than this.

Initially I get a very delicate, sparkling mandarin orange balanced by aldehydes. The soft, vanilla-heliotrope background is joined by the dry, honey-like texture of immortelle flower. Followed by Amber and more vanilla in the dry down.

This is a minimalist composition of only 15 ingredients, this is very different for a Guerlain fragrance (most of which are very rich and complex). I think that whilst this is minimalist, it speaks of quality all the way through.

A beautifully balanced, quiet, sweet and soft fragrance which really lets people know you have taste. In a class of its own, really.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 2.5/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 5.0/10
Cuir Beluga
his fragrance opens with aromas of vanilla, patchouli and leather. The notes blend into an unusual accord: a sweet, slightly salty, chocolate leather accord. I do not know if it is just my imagination but the saltiness reminds me of brine. The vanilla and patchouli notes balance this interesting facet which otherwise could have been rather off-putting. The fragrance is smooth and sophisticated and makes me think of an exotic milk chocolate bar made with goat’s or lama’s milk. If I had to name a scent sibling for this Guerlain offering I’d chose Odori’s Iris.
Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 5.0/10
The Emperor's New Clothes of Leather Perfumes
Guerlain CUIR BELUGA is really the Emperor's New Clothes of leather perfumes. How strange that one would want to make a non-leather leather fragrance. After all, no one forces a perfumer to make a leather perfume, so he/she can always choose to create another lightly floral amber vanilla instead, and that is in fact what we have here.

I'm not saying that every leather perfume must approach CABOCHARD, but CUIR BELUGA is much closer to L'Artisan Parfumeur BOIS FARINE! It doesn't make sense strategically, either, I think. When I took out my sample vial of CUIR BELUGA, I looked forward with great anticipation to a new leather perfume that would be refined and sophisticated, perhaps something really out of the ordinary. What I thought I could certainly count on was something very daring--isn't that the point of leather frags, after all? Leather is an intrinsically eccentric note--the very antithesis of most.

Instead, I found myself wearing a pleasant, but rather nondescript linear scent with a touch of the gourmandise of IRIS GANACHE and ANGELIQUE NOIRE in a floury-amber, not a leathery base! What a disappointment.

• by BlueValkyrie by BlueValkyrie
  • by Moko33 by Moko33
  • by Sirchelios by Sirchelios
  • by IrinaBerlin by IrinaBerlin

Popular Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Jicky (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain