Eau de Cologne du Coq 1894

Eau de Cologne du Coq by Guerlain
Eau de Cologne du Coq is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and men and was released in 1894. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It is still in production.

Aimé Guerlain

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Neroli, Orange, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Lavender, Patchouli
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Sandalwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 07.06.2020.

FvSpee
Colonia instead of Corona. No. 8: Le coq, il sent; le coq, il sent...
Why this nobly flavoured and completely gender-indifferent cologne is named after the rooster, I can't think of (except that it is the Gallic national animal). However, I do think that you can smell this rooster, even if it is not yet dead as in the famous song. If this is not a psychological deception due to increased suggestibility of the name, it is one of the few colognes known to me with a strict, almost animalistic note
But first things first: With the top note, you can't avoid the 4711 standard. That's somehow reassuring; with this reference benchmark, we all know what we're talking about. Bergamot, neroli and lemon, that's all in here, wonderful, hence an unmistakable similarity, but, but: neroli is very pronounced and there's also a thick, fat bonus orange, which makes this cologne tend more in the orange direction. But this orange scent is not too clear and naturalistic. It leads more to the fact that the citric is more full-bodied and less acidic overall (a certain peakiness is already present, though).

The heart note is unmistakable after about 30 seconds, which makes this cologne unmistakable, with one floral and one slightly austere-animal note. I noticed both without looking at the scents and found them both remarkable and unusual. I attribute them to jasmine and patchouli. Unlike others, I cannot feel lavender here; however, the certain "ice note" that others notice here, which I can understand with a lot of imagination, could be based on this lavender. Kitchen herbs are missing, especially rosemary, which is present in 4711 as well as in Guerlain's "Cologne Impérial", and this is noticeable: The citric freshness is not doubled here by herbal freshness, but contrasted by floristics and fauna.

The oakmoss indicated in the notes is also supposed to have a fixing effect; if this is true, oakmoss can at most be added to this cologne, because the entire fragrance disappears after a few minutes, practically without a trace.

The "cologne with a tap" is available for about 70 euros per 100 ml; with a discount on the half-liter maximum bottle, which is not likely to encourage stockpiling, but is noticeable under the microscope, it costs about 280 euros. That's quite a lot for a very volatile cologne, but compared to the price of other guerlains or the recently discussed Chanel-Cologne it's cheap.

The cock can't really convince me, although I (see the comment of Apicius) like the orange candies in "Take 2" better than the yellow ones. I find the stern note (which I attribute to patchouli) rather unharmonious here, although in other scents (such as Byredo's "Sunday Cologne", which is an EdP and not a cologne) I can certainly love the combination of citrus notes with a certain dirtiness. So it stays with me (even with benevolence, which comes from being an inveterate guerlinist, though not a Marxist-guerlinist) at no more than 7.5 points. For the name I get 8.5, because I find the cock funny.

Apropos: Maybe the name comes from the fact that in France, if you have eaten roast chicken with your fingers, you wipe them with cloths with this cologne afterwards...

Now again a bonus track to a cologne I already commented on, which therefore cannot be included in the series anymore. I have chosen as

No. 7a

this time I also chose a Frenchman, and also a clinical neroliker, but brand new instead of over 100 years old, and drugstore shelf (Monoprix as far as I know) instead of Guerlain. I am talking about the "Noble Néroli" of the cheap brand "Comptoir Cologne". I rated this fragrance 8.5 back then, and although I haven't smelled it since, the fragrance pleasure of that time has been so etched in my memory that I would really like to own this cologne. Funny, isn't it? If you look at what you put on your watch list a year ago after testing it, you can't remember some of the scents, but with others you can immediately feel the scent in your nose and a craving in your stomach... When I come to France again, I will definitely look for it, but unfortunately, an online purchase does not seem possible. It was a clear winner for me in a direct comparison with the much more expensive "Grand Néroli" from Atelier Cologne and really impressed me: a simple, but full-bodied and high-quality fresh orange scent, which also makes you think of petitgrain and mandarin

Taurus1967
Fresh as the first cockcrow
In the 19th century the number of fragrances for men was still very manageable. Perfumes were more for women or young women, although there were creations that today would be classified as unisex. The Eau de Cologne du Coq can also be worn by both sexes without any problems, because after all we are dealing here with a classic refresher who, in his starting phase, is intoxicatingly clear with neroli and orange and anything but stingy.

That little bit of lavender and patchouli goes down badly, but that shouldn't bother anyone, because if you play "du Coq", you'll be completely awake and in the best of spirits through the morning, as long as you spray again and again. Because one thing is certain: as beautiful and pleasant as this cock crows here, it has unfortunately already silenced on the skin after a very short time.

As is well known, this is also a sign of naturalness and at the same time a commitment to the authenticity of the fragrance. Whether it was changed or reformulated here and there in the course of the last 125 years is probable, but not conspicuous. It could still have originated from that time and does not resemble by chance the much older original Eau de Cologne by Johann Maria Farina opposite Jülichs Square in 1709 - quasi the origin of all fresh citric fragrances. In contrast to the well known 4711 it is much gentler.

Perhaps our rooster is not necessarily the top dog among the Cologne waters or the most long-lived in the double sense. But definitely the Cologne with the most beautiful bottle.

Old fashioned luxury...
This is one fragrance that I appreciate very much. A classic by Aimé Guerlain, the man who created Jicky, a milestone fragrance in the history of perfumery. Many have remarked (including Luca Turin) that Eau de Cologne du Coq is an Eau de Cologne with Jicky mixed in. I don't quite see it as that. Because to me Jicky is famous for the introduction of vanilla into Guerlain perfumes, and there is no vanilla here. Instead, to me this one is similar to Guerlain's Eau de Cologne Imperiale with it's classic "Eau de Cologne" formula of herbs and citrus. The only real difference here is the prominent lavender and musk combination, which can give it a slight "dirtiness" as perceived by some, but which in my opinion gives fixes the fragrance and gives it a greater longevity than the former.

It's one which I enjoy wearing, and which smells pleasing to others. Overall, I would recommend it over Eau de Cologne Imperiale purely for the reason that it lasts longer on my skin, and I would repurchase this one over the other. It does smell a little "old fashioned" but I have never had a problem with it, and the people around me have also like it. The name references the national animal and symbol of France, the cock (i.e. rooster). It is very classic and very French, what more would you expect from Guerlain... Arguably the best house in French perfumery? Good stuff!
2.5

Take two from Guerlain!
In Germany, there is a very popular sort of citrus candies, their name is "Nimm 2" (Take 2). Whenever someone offers you one of those candies you will have to decide whether you want the yello lemon candy, or the orange one. If you prefer the yellow one, then you are an Eau de Cologne Impériale type. But if you'd prefer the orange candy, you should go for Eau de Cologne du Coq.

They are not so far apart, these old Guerlain Eaus. The Impériale is lemony-soft, a wonderful refreshment on a hot day. Eau de Cologne du Coq is with much more orange and neroli. It appears to be a little bit darker and more robust. And the longevity is slighty better than the 30 minutes of the Eau Impériale.

It is all a matter of personal taste, like in "Nimm 2". Mostly, I would prefer the Impériale. A focus on orange in an Eau de Cologne can easily come as candy-like.

Both are equally well done, and I would say that they stand for the two main scent directions that we have in the classic Eau de Colognes.

In my review on the German side, I somewhat vehemently insisted that one of them is enough - but I have to admit: Next to the Impériale, the Eau de Cologne du Coq has miraculously found its way into my collection by now. If it comes to wonderful Eau de Colognes, I cannot resist.

These beautiful light Eau de Colognes stand very much in the shadow of the many more serious perfumes by Guerlain. I'd recommend to reserve one day at a Maison Guerlain for an exclusive test of the Eaus, and ignore everything else: Impériale on the right wrist, Eau de Cologne du Coq on the left, and if you find a helping third arm, do not miss Thierry Wasser's modern take: Cologne du Parfumeur.

Carlitos01Carlitos01 8 months ago
One of the best Neroli-Citrusy fragrances out there but with a very low performance. For neroli and fresh classy scent lovers!
AmberScentAmberScent 19 months ago
More than a century old, but allways with fresh orange and neroli to lighten up your Spring and Summer.

by Zora
by InTOXIcation
by InTOXIcation
by Catyschatzi
by Catyschatzi
Und? Wer sieht den Hahn???
by Shamis
by Taurus1967
by Taurus1967
by Arlufkin
by Arlufkin

Popular Guerlain

Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Cologne) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain