Habit Rouge (1965)Eau de Toilette

Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain

Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for men and was released in 1965. The scent is spicy-citrusy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesGreen lemon, Bitter orange
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouli
Base Notes Base NotesLeather, Benzoin, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 25.05.2020.

The scent was re-formulated and modernized in 2003.

4.5

Ooold school...
Sorry, but there's just too much rose mixed in this citrus oriental with florals, carnation and vanilla on a leathery incense base.
It is very powdery and unfortunately, even at my 40+ years of age, I feel that this scent is way too adult (old mannish?) for me. I do like the way that the oud is discretely peeping out between the other notes, but it's not enough for me to like it.
If you, like me, feel that this is too adult for you but still enjoy some of the elements, I recommend you try out HR Dress Code, which is a more updated version that most guys could pull off.

I'm pretty sure it's gentlemanly as well classic, it's just not for me. Oh well, guess I'll have to stick to my beloved Guerlain Vetiver.

Dated or classic?
My review is based on the current available version of Habit rouge edt. Review is in the context of not having smelled any vintage, eau de parfum concentration, and little familiarity with Shalimar. I hope you watch and enjoy. Thank you

British invasion
Actually, he should have been playing Marshall amps. Or Vox.
English, anyway. But he preferred Fender, so the
softer 6L6 tubes, this melodiousness, which gives its economical chords
gave the dirty colour without completely dissolving the harmonies.
How many Deluxe Reverbs or Twin Reverbs or other amps
the brand he owned, he didn't even know Maybe 150?
Live there were usually six behind him, sometimes even eight.
Ronnie also liked to play amps over ampeg, his thing,
but he would always be at this unique blend of control
and the perfect scoop distortion remain.
A blend he loved elsewhere.
For example, in his secret passion. A passion,
that didn't really fit his image.
But what was image in reality? Something to play with.
Andrew Loog Oldham had given them the Bad Boys image,
because the place of the nice boys next door was already taken.
Through the Fab Four.
Although the image would have suited Mick just as well.
Maybe even better.
Anyway, perfume has long been his passion And although he liked some of them very much, there was one that he almost
loved. Again, not English, but one from France Habit Rouge.
Basically the perfect counterpart to his sound.
Not in the middle, not heavy - but first of all clear, crystalline rather.
Like his Telecaster over slightly saturated tubes - that is, citric, with
a bluesy bitter note of bergamot and orange, racy
Sharpness.
Not well-behaved-fresh, but fresh-aggressive. And already clearly
underlain by a rebellious attitude (he loved this word, a
Kick in the direction of his image), characterized by leather and earthy,
at the same time wicked and boudoir-like Patch-Dandy-Easyness.
Unpredictability radiating.
And romance. A little hippie coolness. No, no argument He had retained a good dose of hippie smartness, from which
Variety that was rebellious in the Swinging London of '68. Like punk.
And yet basically dangerous, mind-expanding He wore Habit Rouge live, for interviews, on his ranch while riding
and in his house near London. More often than Fahrenheit, which he
for a while in New York clubs.
No one had ever dared to say anything about it, except a
short "you smell good" maybe.
Although he felt that Mick could use some of his
To sense passion. Mick was into vetiver, after all, also from Guerlain,
on Cuir des Russie by Chanel and sometimes on Floris.
They just never talked about it. Unfortunately Because that's what Keith missed sometimes. Talk about perfume Because hardly anything was better suited for this. He read in forums, browsed
and deepened in discussions and comments.
He began to formulate his own theories. Actually, just
Mind games, but for him a perfect kind of distraction.
In one of his theories he played with the image of perfumes
and that of bands. Couldn't the Beatles Chanels
Pour Monsieur, his Stones - although his favourite scent
which was contradicted -Eau Sauvage and Pink Floyd his beloved
Habit Rouge?
He found such thought-provoking walks amusing.
Funnier than press conferences, anyway. Or business meetings
with mick.
He found Basenotes and Fragrantica more and more amusing, the more often
he was traveling on the pages.
Should he perhaps register to do something anonymously himself
write?
The risk of being exposed didn't seem low to him.
And then he met Parfumo from bloody Germany.
He had friends in Germany for a long time.
He was able to read German a lot - but he could not write much himself.
But there was a good friend in Hamburg, with him and John
he had experienced a lot, far away from what you would expect from rock stars
would expect. Sure, it would help him translate He already had a good pseudonym.
Signing up was fast.
He felt absolutely safe here No one here would ever guess who he was
If he falls, then...
I do not like to write comments about ore classics like this. On the one hand, I'm afraid of not doing them justice. On the other hand, so much has already been said about them that you don't really have to dump a cup of water into the ocean anymore.

But since I'm wearing this beautiful ore classic again today and I feel the urge to express my lasting pleasure, I'd like to add a few sketchy lines in times of epidemic, when it is comforting to reflect on old values and the lasting
Habit Rouge is a prime example of a dual fragrance. There are fragrances that float or waft like a uniform carpet of scents, there are those in which a dozen notes flutter and flicker, there are the masters of development, the symphonies with three or four movements, and there are these dual fragrances, often with a counterplay of two stark contrasts. That's how it is here. The light, bright, clean citric (in a bitter expression, however) in a constant struggle (which is actually a yin-yang game designed for complementation) with the heavy, dark, dirty basis; until the two of them lie there exhausted at some point and come to rest.

This beautiful dirtiness, so characteristic of Habit-Rouge, is well illustrated by the notes leather, patchouli and benzoin. But I would almost bet that there is also a rich, strong, slightly bitter rose, as red as the cap and label.

Hermès has felt a hundred fragrant names that revolve around horses and carriages, Guerlain, as far as I know, only this one, Habit Rouge, the red tailcoat of the tournament rider. But with exactly this one scent Guerlain is right on target: The fresh and noble equestrian man falls into the dirt, sweating, together with his leather stuff
That's why Habit Rouge gets nine points for the name as well as for the fragrance itself. With a tendency towards nine-point-five. The name is unmistakable, short, succinct and to the point. Not so poetic perhaps, hence not ten.

Habit Rouge suits every man. Maybe I said at some point, who is not so youth-compatible, but what do I care about my yesterday's laundry. I can imagine him on a bodybuilder as well as on an office bonsai, on an old university professor (maybe but not on a high school teacher, for whatever reason) as well as on a movie actor in his prime or a young construction worker at the weekend clubbing (when the clubs open again after the epidemic is over). And also the about 70 female owners here on the right side of the list didn't make a mistake.

Habit Rouge is a stroke of genius of perfume. A benchmark. A reference water. There is hardly any other fragrance in the world that is so unique and unmistakable. And if there are similar fragrances, you can actually be sure they are plagiarisms. Anyone who hasn't smelled Habit Rouge has a fragrance education gap, asking for immediate closure. A candidate for the "Ten Classic Shortlist".

Habit Rouge must be simple.

Classic
I was quite frightened to buy it at first based on a lot of love/hate reviews. I just got it today and I have to admit that I really like this scent.

Scent:
Top, I really get a lot of lemon, but the lemon is not very juicy smelling. It's like a nice blend of notes that has sweet notes and musky notes supporting that lemon.
Middle, I get a little bit of rose(not nearly as much as Declaration d'un Soir), it's a rose mixed with leather so it smells quite anamalic to my nose. The leather note really reminds me of equestrian gears. For that, I must say it's an excellent frag for its name as it was inspired by equestrian activities.
Base, I get more sandal wood and it is backed by some vanilla. The vanilla does not smell gourmond, it's just like a balmy furnishing on top of that leather.

Excellent frag for the price
Volker1964
An exceptional fragrance at a low price
This wonderful and very pleasant fragrance from the house of Guerlain, I have treated myself to Christmas 19.
He may be special, not like some other fragrances, but also mMn very good.
Top note
Quite fresh and strong lemon, a little bit of orange, lemon towering above. Something different for me Heart note
Lemon becomes more reserved. It becomes spicier and heavier and a leather note appears. Now he's getting interesting.
Base note
Lemon's as good as gone. Leather notes become quite present and vanilla is added. The fragrance becomes more masculine overall, pleasantly spicy with beautiful notes of leather and vanilla. It is very balanced, quite complex, elegant and very pleasant. Also well/very well present without exaggeration. In short, a gentleman among fragrances for the gentleman with life experience. More like a winter scent I ordered 200ml EdT for less than 50 Euro on the Internet. This is this fragrance mMn also, without ifs and buts, worth.

50something
Changing my rating from bad to masterpiece
It took me about 1/4 of my bottle for me to finally appreciate this masterpiece. I now wear it at least once or twice a week. It took.some getting used to but the way all of the notes work together it just blows my mind. I definitely pick up the Guerlinade that is so common in their frags, but the lemon, orange, patchouli and vanilla are most pronounced on my 56 year old nose. If it’s dated, I haven’t noticed, nor do I care. This has moved into my top 5 along with Heritage edt and edp. 10/10 for scent. One to two sprays and I’m good for a solid 6 hours. Highly recommend if you are looking for a one of a kind gentlemen’s fragrance.
Tom27
Animal-leathery dustiness in vanilla bed
Habit Rouge opens with a violent rush of citric, tangy notes of lemon and bergamot with a hint of bitter orange. Equally next to it are spicy and rosy-floral scents, embedded in a woody frame of rose and sandalwood. A few minutes later, the fragrance changes into an aromatic, powerful cloud filled with floral patchouli and sprinkled with a fine dose of spicy cinnamon. In this phase Habit Rouge works best for me. The four main actors of the fragrance fight for supremacy. A still striking citric freshness, a warm spicy cinnamon note, noble woods, as well as an almost animal note of leather, vanilla and labdanum. The more Habit Rouge dries, the softer it becomes, and a characteristic powdery accord of vanilla, amber and moss with a hint of incense prevails.
In total the fragrance lasts 8 hours with a powerful projection on my skin.
If you are looking for a timeless, aromatic, dry Fougere classic, this is the place to be.
Habit Rouge is worth a test in any case !
Schlesi
Can that go away or is that art?
Always tried a test strip again and again and thrown away again. Because after 2 minutes it smells like old velvet pillows with mothballs washed with curd soap.

And because of his prominence in the fan community and the described scent pyramid (which should be exactly my case) I "soaped" a test strip in the Douglas opposite of my office and took it with me. After 1 hour you can put it back in the trash. Because of the velvet, the curd soap and the mothballs. And... yes, 3 hours later neither fished out of the trash. Because you have to smell something like that over and over again (who has to hold out and smell every bottle, every glass and every tube of his tine and will be laughed at by his partner...?).

But somehow... there's powdery vanilla after the great citrus kick-off. And the bitter lemon remains forever and becomes more and more fruity. And slightly spicy resin. He's definitely interesting. But not everything that's interesting is good. I have whiskeys, too, because they're so interesting. Really not good. But interesting. Others are good. But I still don't want to miss her. You know what I mean? So get back in the Douglas and test it on your skin. Bäm! Ge(n)i(a)l! I love that fresh, spicy citrus squash! But, dear... after 5 minutes so oldschool...

Something's happened since then: The fragrance needs getting used to. I think it's really delicious today. And more complex than many others from my collection (except Terre d'Hermes among others). The fragrance process is described often enough, so I'll make it short: It has everything I like: bitter fresh lemon, vanilla and a subtle smokiness (that's probably how I feel the leather note).

For me a very versatile fragrance, which you have to test on your skin and "smell" something. No, he doesn't smell like grandma's mothballs - or just a little bit...

Silesia
It's rock 'n' roll!
I've been the owner of a bottle of Habit Rouge for a good three months now. Due to the good rating and the fragrances I like, I became aware of him. I don't regret for one moment that I bought it.
Well, I'm not a guy who always has to keep up with the times. I listen to Rockabilly, but I'm not a teddy bear, I come across a great one, and I live the wild style of R`n`R.
When I sit down on a day off in my 1960 Chevy Impala and cruise with it through the area, then exactly the effect of Habit Rouge is coolest for me. It just all fits together.
I prefer to wear it on weekends. That gives me time to really enjoy it.
I'm gonna need a few more sprayers. At least in the evening in the disco or at the festival. The good ladies whether young or old, ask me again and again what I sprayed myself there. He really fits into my world. Into the wild time of Rock'n'Roll!
I'd never give up that smell again.
Because 0815 has never been my style

AmberScentAmberScent 181 days ago
A true fragrance landmark! Citrus, patchouli, vanilla and leather at their best. A versatility record holder for sure. Truly recommended!
PioPio 14 months ago
A super classy smell, almost vintage. I would recommend this for older men.
KingPinKingPin 15 months ago
4.5
The scent of an older (55+) international dandy. Raymond Reddington in Blacklist could wear this. Too much granny’s soaps for me.
IanFriedrichIanFriedrich 15 months ago
It smell like Shalimar EDP, but the differences is HR scent is more to citrus. I like HB, but I have to be honest, I love Shalimar EDP more!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 17 months ago
Different from the EDP, easier to use, with an evolution using lemon, patchouli and leather+vanilla as stairs of a majestic scented altar.
XanthonXanthon 18 months ago
Signature scent worthy! Barbershop class rose leather blended so beautifully, I find it magical. IMO must have for everybody, atleast 10 ml!
VTrancosoVTrancoso 19 months ago
Hi ! Just to say EDT begins only in 1988 not 1965. JPG started in 1965 only with EDC. And in 1967 he created EDC Dry.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 21 months ago
A superb oriental perfume with an unexpected zesty opening giving a touch of freshness to the deep acchord. A great classic.
HajuvanaHajuvana 4 years ago
I hate spicy/woody orientals. Habit Rouge is a spicy/woody oriental. I love Habit Rouge. That's how good it is.

- maskulin für Fresh ....
by IrisNobile
by Ninina
by Ninina
by Knucklehead
by Knucklehead
der rechte flakon ist ein 13 jahre alter tester, das parfum ist sichtbar dunkler geworden und der duft hat mehr tiefe, wärme und intensität bekommen, fast wie ein edp
EDT 100ml
by EssAli
by Helge
by Helge

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain