Habit Rouge 1965 Eau de Toilette

Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain
Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for men and was released in 1965. The scent is spicy-citrusy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesGreen lemonGreen lemon
Bitter orangeBitter orange
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouliPatchouli
Base Notes Base NotesLeatherLeather
BenzoinBenzoin
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 23.07.2021.

The scent was re-formulated and modernized in 2003.

Mixed feelings
The nose says "this is a multi-stage interplay of lemon, jasmin-incense, polished leather and high quality vanilla"
The mind says "this is ancient fancy dandy stuff"
The heart says "Yeeeeahhh baby!"
5.5
Out of time
Habit Rouge - now I know you as Eau de toilette your whole life, and I have to tell you that I have held up better than you could. Probably because you have just always defied every zeitgeist, and you have always remained true even with reformulation.
Such a characteristic distinguishes icons indeed, but since the wheel of time continues to turn, there makes such a character also more lonely.

You never embraced Shalimar's welcoming nature, always remaining the sterner, more suspicious brother. When the former offered the seductive female womb, you were content to play the role of householder.

In your top note, no lush bouquets of flowers and fruit stalls in oriental markets, but the almost bitter sourness of natural citrus aromas, which have always made you very bulky.
Your sublimity describes less the longing of the Orient, but more the Occident, along with a Gothic cathedral full of incense wavers.
No, you do not invite your counterpart, but assign him a place.

The heavy, musty earthiness of Patchouli makes your entourage kneel even as it goes on.
A real approach is not desired by you.

Meanwhile, the world of fragrances has become friendlier. Modern perfumes would like to smile formally, and seduce to the common campfire. Your ashes, however, are cold, and when your vanilla and benzo notes do try to open sweetly, a leathery band tugs them back relentlessly, as if to insist that one does not reveal intimate feelings at your age. The floridity of your dryout is really mere decoration, and nothing more than an obvious Potemkin village.

I don't want to stay with you anymore, and perhaps I never really wanted to, even though you and I have always met. I want to move on regardless of my own age, taste the future, and I think this time it will be goodbye forever.

You'll have your livelihood. Not only in the history books of perfumery, and in the curious hands of young, fragrance-savvy explorers, but also on the shelves of those very non-conformists who get a cold shiver from the very term "mainstream", and who can't get enough of meeting every flag of Diors Sauvage, no matter how light, with your cold arrogance.

I, on the other hand, commit blasphemy, even sacrilege, and wet my aged skin with Clinique's Happy Men without any rueful look back - grinning as if I'd just turned fourteen....

A classic with style
Guerlain has done it to me and also Habit Rouge I have already acquired in the second bottle.

The fragrance is fresh and serious, there are no surprises. But he fits almost always and underlines a certain style: classic, elegant and well-groomed. Not every fragrance brings this message across so uncomplicated. A true classic - reduced to the essentials without missing anything. As made for the office, but also in the concert not out of place.

Initially, it is fresh, almost exuberantly fresh. That decreases rapidly and in the course of the day it changes, becomes warmer and more masculine, a little woodier, also more subtle. Very pleasantly floats the fragrance then of the evening over the skin.

From the seasons he actually always fits, but in the spring still clearly better than in the other seasons.

To dose it is with care, three splashes are enough perfectly.

Fragrance 8/10: a classic with style

Durability 8/10: from morning fresh to evening subtle he keeps through
Sillage 8/10: for an EdT good, you should still not overdose
Flacon 4/10: Guerlain'scher unit flacon
Price / performance 10/10: a classic of the house at a moderate price

Hard to like
I used to be afraid of this fragrance,
It's just smelled incredibly unwearable to me due to its "strangeness"

Now I have really come to love it

To me, there are 3 distinct stages to this
1: icy cold lemon candy (some dislike this due to its similarity to floor cleaner)
2: carnation&leather (some dislike this due to it's animalic aging-odor-like skank)
3: burnt vanilla tonka (some dislike this due to its shalimar like vanilla softness)

So why would you like this?
Something about this, once you get it, it's sort of addictive and comforting to smell.
What sort of person would wear this?
any person who finds himself more comfortable in a suit than a Tshirt and pair of shorts

Gold
Habit Rouge, you're not my habibi!
Over 80 comments and 803 ratings registers this classic alone on Parfumo.
Why I now also want to add my two cents is simple: "Habit Rouge EdT" came a few days ago as a gift to me (X-MAS was all around us...) and I wear the eau de toilette now after a long time again, without really feeling this giant JOY to the fragrance, which runs through most comment odes here.
Perhaps you have desire to fathom with me, why for me this Guerlain is not a "10 "er candidate, but you must be indulgent with my old Spießerseele.

Already as a teenager I became aware of "Habit Rouge" because my father, whose name differed only by a single letter from the word "Habit", wore this fragrance for one bottle, but (thank God!) did not make it the perfume of his life. Later, my sister and I would buy a bottle of the eau de toilette every now and then, because we just liked the name "Habit" plus "Rouge" (for the political direction) so much (family specific craziness!) and we thought that "Habit Rouge" was the big brother of "Shalimar" (and "Shalimar" used to be more expensive. Back in our student days, when you couldn't order anything on the internet and we had to save money).
The scent of HR and SH is very similar. Just as with "Shalimar", the scent opens with a delightful cascade of hesperidic notes, invigorating and almost cutting.
This is the most beautiful part of the fragrance for me, the reason I love to spray it! No one does such great citrusy top notes like Guerlain!
This is followed by some notes in "Habit Rouge" that are not mentioned here in the pyramid, but which are given in some French books and which you can perceive very well, namely roses, geranium and iris. At this point in the heart, the fragrance takes on something dusty before settling into a soft balsamic base, showing very subtle leather notes, then settling gently (again, much like Shalimar) on vanilla and slowly fading out. Charming, but ...- but what?

It's too soft for me, it's too much like "Shalimar", it's perfectly androgynous and so strangely dusty at the same time. On the one hand, "Habit Rouge" is not a fragrance for the nice, solid family man next door, who trots dutifully to the office every day (or now sits trapped in front of his screen in the home office) and would never start an affair with the colleague, but on the other hand, it is also, in my view, completely unsuitable for men who want to stand out, who want to radiate strength, who are unconventional.
When I smell "Habit Rouge", one of those classic dandies from the last century appears in my mind's eye. A man wearing colorful silk scarves with paisley patterns and a hint of powder on his pale complexion.
The version I sprayed on today is reformulated, of course, but it retains its nostalgic charm. In theory, I think it's nonsense to overload fragrances with gender stereotypes, indeed, it's extremely old-fashioned and "politically incorrect" to write that this or that flower smells "masculine" and the other note "feminine".
Nevertheless, for reasons of socialization, most people make gender-specific assignments all the time, both in fragrances and in colors, in fashion in general, etc., etc., etc.

So I apologize if this comment ultimately reads like a column from the 50's, but I can't help myself: "Habit Rouge" is not a masculine scent to me. A man should not smell like someone who is afraid to reach for "Shalimar". He should either use "Shalimar" right away or "Polo" by Ralph Lauren. Or, for example, "Monsieur" by F. Malle. He is not called "Monsieur" for nothing!
So, and now you can finish me off..

For the eternity
Many things have been said about this wonderful smell. Although maybe origin story tries to be more intrigue I think Jean-Paul Guerlain actually know what he done when he created this masterpiece. In those days many unknown names produced "real cologne" for after shaving in pretty usual concept. It had some kind strong minty green scent, citrus smell and at least rose smell.

My grandfather which have been in some working camp during WWII bring back with him a complete shaving equipment which had beside razor blade and cologne with rose scent.

I remember him for that ritual. Every time after breakfast he always shave himself and after hot towel he put his euc. It was not always same product but it almost always had with rose scent.

Back to near past. I never actually thought when I get in scent hobby that I would like rose scents. I always mixed them for femine note. But one day I tried HBT and kaboom I get travel to the past, and that little part of brain start to itching. From that day HBT is something I need in my collection, not only for that but for top 5 scents which I use.

For people beside me it has mostly to sides. One is especially combine with opening. People mostly do not like that bitter lemon. And what is interesting that opening scent is not something which goes a way in 2-3 minutes. It stays some descent time...but heart is rose, little bit powdery and with that known "guerlainic" vanilla. And that second is so simple but so in the center.

It performs very well also, and silage is not bad it can be really good depend on weather situation and your skin. My skin is very grateful for scents and I mostly must think good to not overspray colognes. For me common wearing this is in spring time, and occasion is all round.

I really see this perfume stand as much as Guerlain exist. And maybe it won't sell in some huge numbers but it is testimony of class, whatever fashion is on going.

KevinGrey
At the festival at the incense stand
This fragrance was recommended to me at some point, I don't even know by whom anymore.
Now I had the opportunity to test it and was ....... Surprised:

I can smell incense right from the start. Incense with the most different scents in it. A mix of incense.
Citric-smoky spicy. And a little sweetish me.
Very interesting, but the citric note disturbs....

After an hour I also take the scent from ....... coming from the background Hemp (?) war....

So it is not necessarily suitable for everyday or office use. When I smell this scent, I'm more likely to be standing at an incense stand at a festival.

An interesting fragrance with which one (i.e. me) also associates good times. I kind of like it. I just wouldn't know of any eSituation to which I would want to wear it.

When applied to paper strips, it is also a great room fragrance. It's been three days since I applied it, and the strip always smells like a festival. Even though it is more discreet and not so colourful anymore. But still somehow ..... exciting. :-)
Jas0N
The most difficult time in our lives is the best opportunity to develop inner strength
I'd be lying if I said we're not in a bad spot. The pandemic around Corona is pushing many people to their limits and solidarity in our society is rarely as important as it is now.
I rarely quote great personalities when it comes to describing a perfume, but Dalei Lama sums it up for me and Habit Rouge is a fragrance that metaphorically does justice to the quote.

For me the fragrance embodies inner strength, a return to old traditions and values. It doesn't forget the importance of the present, it cultivates it in its prudence. Creates a context. It has character, a character that is still relevant after so long. It is the anchor point of inner strength and calm in difficult times, letting the world stand still. A fragrance that inspires reflection, promoting the values and norms of the wearer. Without forgetting his own.

I tested Habit Rouge ages ago and despite my young age I certify it as a cultural asset as I see it in Pour Monsieur by Chanel. A historical milestone in the fragrance industry
It's a fragrance you wear when times are tough. Retreating, trying to remember old strength and want to switch off.
Here classic meets modern.
The bitter citric plays a duet with an earthy base and that until his fade away. It is simple and yet so refined how an at first sight harmless interplay of a few notes ends in such a philharmonic orchestra.
Terrific!

One may bow before this classic in the hope that it will never disappear from the scene.
Because with the Pacos and Le Males of today's generation of fragrances, you will never experience such a feeling.
You have true character and inner strength
Salva
I don't want to miss you anymore.
Every moment with you is something very special,
every moment with you something wonderful.
I don't want to miss you and hopefully I never have to,
i want you with me, better always than never [...]

Due to the current situation I didn't want to go anywhere this year and preferred to spend my free time at home this time. And what does a perfumo do during his free time? That's right, testing every day! Well, regardless of the holidays we all do it regularly anyway, but it's much more relaxed if you don't have to wake up in the morning and go to work...

Anyway, that's what I did on my vacation some time ago... Those were the weeks when we suffered from an enormous heat wave all over the country and partly in many other neighbouring countries and were longing for cooler temperatures every day...
So in the first few days I went to various air-conditioned department stores and tested all the waters...

Personally, I have been a big fan of French houses for a long time, as their scents somehow appeal to me the most and completely meet my taste. And Habit Rouge fragrances have been on my watch list for a really long time, but I postponed testing this series again and again, because they were "on the doorstep" and I didn't have to do much for them.
"Oh come on, you can always try them out one way or another, take your time", I always told myself and let days, weeks and several months pass by... But then the day came when I should test them or the EdT...

To be honest I did not get much information about the Habit-Rouges in advance. Here and there I skimmed over one or the other comment or statement, but this happened rather "on the side" and not really concentrated, so that I didn't remember any note or any possible special feature...
So I went - completely detached from any expectations or the like. - i went to a perfumery and the first thing I did was grab the EdT. And when I sprayed it on my wrist right away, my thought was: "God, I have never smelled such a dreamlike opening before! In fact, just for the top note, I would... uh, I don't know, I was gonna write "die," but "may" this? Well, I just do. Yes, this top note is really 'to die for', as they say in English... The most brilliant opening I've ever had...
A citric-fresh aromatic dream of green lemon and (bitter) orange with tender-spicy pepper, simply to melt away...

Of course, I too have come to realize that many fragrances are called "scents". "But my gut feeling told me that this Habit Rouge can't be like that, because "it is a Guerlain after all", I told myself, while I couldn't and wouldn't take my nose off my wrist. So I took my mobile phone and googled it on this page...

"Earthy Patchouli"? Dry leather? Sensual vanilla? Balsamic benzoin? Well, if that doesn't promise too little", I heard the other notes and waited and hoped at the same time for a dynamic scent...

After testing various other fragrances on test strips (only the Habit Rouge EdT was on both my wrists), I left the shop. A while passed and the fragrance actually developed as its notes predicted. After this initial dream opening, my nose was joined by a very distinct patchouli, giving it its woody-sour and long-lasting character. And at the base, the fragrance changes again to an insanely sensual, balsamic-sweet vanilla-benzoic mix, rounded off with a slightly leathery undertone. On other pages, such as fragrantica, for example, floral notes like rose, jasmine and clove are added. Personally, I don't perceive any flowers, which doesn't bother me at all, because I love the fragrance as it comes across to my nose...

Looking at the points scale, you can see that I am also more than satisfied with the durability and sillage. I can smell the scent on myself for about 7-8h (with 4-5 splashes) and in the first 3-4h it leaves a big cloud of scent that people around you clearly perceive.
Conclusion:
I have been able to test all versions of Habit Rouge to date, except the EdT's brother, the EdP. I think everyone is wonderful and I am convinced that the EdP is just as beautiful as the EdT. But since I was in love with the EdT right from the start, he moved in with me relatively quickly. And it is one of those fragrances I would never want to miss again, because it is so universally applicable and you can wear and enjoy it every day, in all weathers and on all occasions.

Thanks Guerlain and thanks to all who have read so far!
Rouge for the pale king
Habit Rouge is reminiscent of a decadent, aging French aristocrat who, with his parchment-like, powdered skin, beehive hairstyle and the obligatory beauty mark at the corner of his mouth, laboriously takes his place in a patinated piece of seating furniture of his time, to let his predominantly female entourage trot up and down with sparing gestures from the unmanicured hands in front of him only distracted by the bestial itching of his crooked 1.5 meter high wig, which he clumsily tries to remedy with a knitting needle...
A Helmut Berger in his "Heydays", still little marked by drug and alcohol abuse and a guest of Harald Schmidt, the scent would certainly have suited him.
Whoever expects a biochemical treatise here should better stick to the usual suspects.
The lemon/bergamot in the top note is the best I have ever noticed in a perfume. The transitions are flowing and the soft leather in combination with the vanilla, which for me has nothing to do with perfumes "state of the art"... The sweetness, which is used here as discreetly as skilfully, does not seem out of place at any time. Nevertheless, one wonders whether the composition would not have got along without it - probably not.
Maybe 'Abi Ruusch' is a little bit "dated" but still a must in every collection and the ideal background for the morbid, slightly deranged, tolerably in the juice standing bon vivant "in search of the lost time"...
For a coffee with Madeleines.

Amazon1975Amazon1975 11 days ago
Smells fantastic but longevity is slightly lacking
BertolucciKBertolucciK 2 months ago
A bright lemony opening. Classy, aromatic, powdery, old school. Floral, slightly smoky, leathery, patchouli and vanilla. Similar to Shalimar
CaspikaarCaspikaar 4 months ago
Candy chain with dried rose petals and grated
citrus. Not a love at first sniff fragrance. Give it some time and you’ll def get it.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 4 months ago
This is a truly masterpiece. Nothing's wrong here. Just pure joy. Vanilla, lemon, woods, patchouli... A masculine landmark. Mandatory! 5/5
KuraiKurai 7 months ago
New years day. No better way to start the year than with Habit Rouge. Where other perfumes have to suit the mood, Habit Rouge sets the mood!
AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
A true fragrance landmark! Citrus, patchouli, vanilla and leather at their best. A versatility record holder for sure. Truly recommended!
PioPio 2 years ago
A super classy smell, almost vintage. I would recommend this for older men.
KingPinKingPin 2 years ago
4.5
The scent of an older (55+) international dandy. Raymond Reddington in Blacklist could wear this. Too much granny’s soaps for me.
IanFriedrichIanFriedrich 2 years ago
It smell like Shalimar EDP, but the differences is HR scent is more to citrus. I like HB, but I have to be honest, I love Shalimar EDP more!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
Different and easier to use than the EdP, rewarding you with lemon, patchouli and a divine leather+vanilla, as stairs of a scented altar.

by IrisNobile
- maskulin für Fresh ....
Guerlain Habit Rouge EdT & EdP
by EauSavage
by Blödel
by Blödel
by Slickadam
by Slickadam
Empire State Building
by ivko
Guerlain Prospekte aus den 80ies & 90ies.
by Josch
by Ninina
by Ninina
by Knucklehead
by Knucklehead
der rechte flakon ist ein 13 jahre alter tester, das parfum ist sichtbar dunkler geworden und der duft hat mehr tiefe, wärme und intensität bekommen, fast wie ein edp
EDT 100ml
by EssAli
by Helge
by Helge

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain