Habit Rouge (2003)Eau de Parfum

Habit Rouge (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain

Top 86 in Men's Perfume
Habit Rouge (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for men and was released in 2003. The scent is citrusy-powdery. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Orange, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesNeroli, Jasmine
Base Notes Base NotesLeather, Oud, Vanilla, Patchouli

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 06.08.2020.

Blood Brothers
My red brother Habit Rouge EdT, I greet you!
Greetings, my brother Old Gourmand! Many suns went into the country since our last reunion and today I am not alone on the way to our old shaman Guerlimo. My son, also called Habit Rouge and his sign EdP desires to join the circle of tribal leaders to one day, with Manitu's help, as my successor and chief to direct the fate of the warriors of our tribe. Jicky, the wise old squaw and the shaman Guerlimo shall show him the way!
My brother, the year of your appearance is in the mid-1960s. For many, that was the high time of the red men, immortalized in 11 film productions of the decade, today all classics like yourself. Despite the fierce but bloodless skirmishes between good and evil, peace and our unbreakable friendship always triumph on the many paths from the treasures of the Silver Lake to the Valley of the Dead. Thanks to your impressive leadership, everyone came through the stormy times well, just as the ancients foretold when they made you, Habit Rouge EdT, their chief and not the somewhat older, equally strong vetiver. While they found this one a bit too green behind the ears, they saw in you the special, the noble warrior. You are angular, edgy, harsh with an enormous welcome presence. Then you show yourself winning, mature and good-natured in your embrace. At the end, the warm-hearted tribal leader appears, to whom almost everyone is addicted by timeless, cosy magic, some call it charisma
Yes, Old Gourmand, this magic is also possessed by my son, the EdP, if not a little more pronounced, he is a fisherman of men calibrated for harmony. We are very much alike and where I show my noble side, he adds a lovely elegance and my soft, smooth EdT farewell at the EdP is really a buttery-creamy pudding that resists any attempt to nail him to the wall.

It is a long way to this end, my father, for I am just as strong as you. I start the day with fruity, fleshy oranges and then I like to pin some flowers to the squaws' tepees and during my long walks through the tents I try to win everyone's favour. Fine leather mokasins on our feet we sit close to the ground around small fires, smoke weak-vanilla peace pipes, the tomahawk stays on our belts and the empty torture pole flirts in the sun. Harmony and balance are my strength, leather and earth make me fine but not dirty, the oud is only for show and I like to take the vanilla smoke of the peace pipes on my lungs, so that this unsweet vanilla dream becomes one with me, while I still hold some flowers for the squaws in my hands.

My father, we are very much alike, but I have discarded your warlike rough edges, the attention-hunting harsh, opulent greeting, now more bitter-orange, but I have gladly kept it. Because of my charm, which radiates both comfort and grandeur in a reserved way, I, the EdP Habit Rouge, am the sovereign who wants to accompany the fairytale-like character of the red men in a leading way.

My red brothers, the competition is strong, the great warrior Derby broke years ago, the warriors Heritage and L'Instand lead noble groups and Vetiver with his son Extreme is not out of the race either. Scalps are no longer taken, so trust the advice of the elders with Jicky and Guerlimo and the advice of your friend Old Gourmand. I like many of your warriors and squaws well, but you two have grown especially close to my heart and you could both be chiefs. However, I don't see a change in leadership yet, because my blood brother Habit Rouge EdT still has a lot of potential for old age, some even say he is immortal!

"Hugh - I have spoken".

Classic and Sophisticated!
This smells sophisticated and niche. It's definitely a classic. Guerlain knows how to blend fragrances. I can definitely smell the vanilla, rose, benzoin, sandalwood, and jasmine the most. I know there are citrus notes but I don't really get a lot of citrus, which is great for me, as I'm not a fan of citrus on my skin. The dry down is absolutely awesome and classy. Great for a black-tie affair, date night for Fall and Spring. I give this a 10 / 10!

KimJong
A masterpiece with many changes.
1. I have a used vintage version with an unknown production year, a current bottle purchased in the late 2000s, and a back up bottle purchased last winter. Habit Rouge EDP 2019 became close to Habit Rouge L'Eau, in both performance and scent. The only difference between the two is that EDP has a little more orange and L'Eau has a little more lemon.

2. The current version certainly lacks performance. Some of the mid notes were omitted and reduced. The smell of an uncomplicated orange custard.

3. But I think it is one of the most lovely scents in the world. It's still delicious and soft.

4. The woody scent from the previous version now remains only weak at the very end. Thus, the magnificent masculinity disappeared and it became almost unisex. I am ready to love a woman wearing Habit Rouge.

5. Originally this was only for cold days, but I found out that the current version works better in spring and summer. Today I wrote this, the temperature in Seoul is 33 degrees Celsius. The temperature of my room with air-conditioning is 26 degrees. Today Habit Rouge works much better than last winter.

6. I loved the version of the late 2000s, but I felt it is too mature for me. And It's difficult to say about the vintage version. The vintage of mine smells like the medicinal oud that lost the top note's citrus. I always doubt it is genuine.

7. Now Habit Rouge is not for a formal evening out, but for a relaxing everyday life. As for the current version, it's better to ignore all past comments. There is obvious continuity, but there are many differences compared to before. I do not regard this as a simple downgrade.

8. Those who have been wearing Habit Rouge for a long time may not agree with me. Old fans are likely to be disappointed with the current version. But in my opinion, this current version may be the men's fragrance of the 21st century. The current version is not aristocratic, authoritative or masculine. Rather, it is adorable, attentive, and cute. No one will believe this scent began in the sixties. This is really contemporary.

9. Guerlain's fragrance philosophy and gender perspective are changing little by little. For example, they removed the tobacco note from Vetiver. The same goes for Habit Rouge. I am willing to be a new fan for current Guerlain. They are creating a scent for me, not grandfather's memories.

10. In the end, what I want to say is that the 2019 version has lost weight and performance, but the scent in it has changed from the 2000s version, and I feel that the reformed version now is a little better for me. This is still a masterpiece, in a different way from the previous era.

Summary: Jesus! It soooo good! I love it!

p.s. Sorry for my Infantile english sentence.
Chizza
French fashion from the bottle
Habit Rouge is an absolute classic, there's nothing in it and accordingly I was very excited about the EdP variant at the time. It was supposed to be more orange than lemon compared to the EdT, which is more to my taste, so the decision to buy it was made quickly.
First of all: I appreciate older perfumes, even if I don't like to wear them all, some are in my possession. Now, Habit Rouge is of course something else than the masculine perfumes of the 70s/80s; especially EdP, released in 2003.

Habit Rouge delivers what it promises. I don't think of Scrooge McDuck in a red tuxedo, I think of the 18th or young 19th century. The tailcoat - not wrongly proclaimed as a dress code on exclusive occasions - is a wonderful piece of clothing. Even more beautiful than the tuxedo with cummerbund, which I also like to wear on occasions. Usually a tailcoat is black, rarely dark blue. So a red tails is unusual and the wearer stands out as someone extraordinary. Someone who belongs to the layer that wears a tuxedo, but still wants to stand out; someone with a moody and extroverted character if necessary.
Habit Rouge as a fragrance starts there for me. The powderiness of the orange, the subliminal sublimity and nobility of the fragrance. It works. It's the France of earlier centuries, it's rococo, it's the French Revolution, it's personalities like Marquis de Sade, Victor Hugo, Robespierre and all the others.
Let's get to the fragrance, now that we have only talked about the aura of the fragrance. We have a constantly dominant orange, although the lemon is also clearly visible. But it is dominated by the orange. The fragrance appears fresh but rather fresh-powdery or flowery. In fact, I find the jasmine here so well packaged in the lemon that the floral notes come through without us knowing exactly which flower it is, so we have more lemon with floral notes. That smells fantastic to me!

So it only remains for me to say: I wear the black tails very rarely, the small red one from the bottle all the more often
Very classic
Very classic. First very citrusy, then slightly smoky (incense), clean leathery, vanilla, then powdery, surprisingly quickly gone, but remains on the skin as a soft, powdery, smoky note. Older, I would say, or CEO.
Great scent
Tested this fragrance for a month now...
... ...and I'm satisfied!!!
I think the best way to describe this fragrance is to call it a powdery oldie.
The powdery, however, is by no means feminine, it only rounds off the gentlemanly scent. In my opinion you can enjoy this scent from the age of 30. Geb. carrying, everything else is I believe unsuitable! But if man is thirty and perhaps even has a suit on and perhaps even a beard is a beard carrier then! But also only then ;-)
Then this fragrance is perfect
Because this fragrance fits perfectly to an English gentleman outfit

SvenScent
A little homage for an almost perfect fragrance!

The eau de parfum of the Habit Rouge from the house of Guerlain is based on an absolute classic of perfume history, the eau de toilette of the same name from 1965, which, reformulated, is still offered today. However, since I don't own this fragrance, this commentary will deal solely with the EdP, which first appeared in 2003. But comparisons of the two have been made here anyway.

When I smelled the perfume variant in a perfumery for the first time, I was immediately thrilled and could not keep my nose off the scent for the rest of the day.
At the very first moment something floral jumps into your nose, immediately followed by a heavy dose of tangy, sharp, oily citric. From then on, Habit Rouge could be considered a classic fresh citrus scent à la Eau Sauvage. But what this perfume then does for further twists is already very impressive. Through its powerful neroli heart, Habit Rouge EdP preserves the most beautiful until the end. For here it almost becomes a real leather scent. The vanilla also begins to make its presence felt, but it doesn't paste up the base - as is unfortunately the case with many other fragrances - even though it is written in capital letters in the notes here at Parfumo. It rather stays in the background, because I feel the leather and patchouli, which both harmonize wonderfully with each other, and which are accompanied by a nuance of smoke, which probably comes from the oud. Simply grandiose the whole thing!
By the way, the leather reminds almost one to one of the leather chord of Tom Ford's Ombre Leather.

Habit Rouge is on the one hand very classical, but on the other hand very modern, only the heart with its nerolid dominance may seem a bit old-fashioned and reminds of 4711, but also gives the whole thing a very nice and lasting freshness.
Habit Rouge is portable in all seasons due to its power and versatility. Its performance is remarkable; it easily lasts a whole day with me I wouldn't know what more you can expect from a good perfume, and I don't think you are exaggerating when you talk about a masterpiece with this fragrance...!

ScentSlave
I decided to blind buy this
And I was terrified when I first sprayed it... it DEFINITELY has a femininity to it; the opening especially. A flowery kick to it, with a very waxy feeling of top; honestly I can see the comparison to a woman’s handbag (see @Emorandeira below) being fairly accurate. I can also see the “lemon candy” description fitting as well; almost like a strawberry/lemon cough drop. I didn’t think I was going to like it... until it started to dry down and transform a bit... as it fades out of the opening, the sweetness comes through a bit, and it becomes softer. It becomes a very nice, creamy vanilla scent as the base notes shine through, but I definitely don’t think this will work for the younger crowd. It screams “MATURITY” quite loud in the opening. I think of museums and old school houses every time I lift my wrist and smell it as the opening shines. It’s the “waxy” feeling vanilla note that comes as it transfers from opening into mid that feels odd, and the lemon is really, really strong. I honestly think this would work better for a woman, as the leather note feels more like a designer purse than a leather jacket, or cowboy boots.

Longevity is quite short for me (2019 batch), as it fades away within 3-4 hours.

Not going to be in my regular rotation, but it’s interesting indeed.

Anyone got suggestions of scents to layer it with?

Edit 5/15/2020: This quarantine has me playing with my Guerlain scents more, and I’m growing more of an appreciation for them. Habit Rouge was originally a little too feminine for my taste, but as I sit at home wearing it, I’m beginning to change my mind. It’s the sweetness that’s grown on me. It’s still got a kind of “dusty closet” feel in the roots, but the sweetness seems to have gotten a bit more masculine the more I’ve worn it. Don’t ask me how or why, it simply does... for me anyway. The way the scent has grown on me has me on the verge of ordering the EDT; I’m curious as people talk about how the EDT scent evolves through many phases, while the EDP is more linear. The opening of the EDP still gives the waxy leather feel, but like I said, as I’ve worn it, it seems to have grown on me. When the opening fades, and the middle notes emerge is when I really start loving it. Then the base tones bring me home to an epic feeling, sweet vanilla masculinity. I’m learning to love it.

Emorandeira
Lemon, vanilla and rose for men
Habit Rouge is a classical fragance but i think is still today seen as a very cool scent by many oeople. The smell remwmber me to a typical candys that i had when a was a Child: lemon sugus! The most noticeble notes for me are the lemon, the vanilla and the rose. It makes a very original fragance, just in the border between femenine and masculine. Some oeople says that It smells like the bah of an los lady (with a mix between perfume, make Up, a leather Wallet etc) but i dont think so. For me this is very nice but i have yo say that the performance in the versión i own (made in 2018) is not very good. I think It is even better un the edt... But the smell is just wonderful, perfect for day time with not too Hot temperatures and to enyoy by myself.

Classique homme de Guerlain
Jicky, Shalimar et Habit Rouge font partis de la même famille, qui en eau de parfum est unisexe. L'avantage de Habit Rouge en l'eau de parfum est la pyramide olfactive plus marquée en trois temps: citron et/ou de rose au départ, puis la présence de cuir et patchouli, enfin la distinctive guerlinade vanillée. (Les parfums Guerlain sont complexes, la description esquissée). La tenue est bonne, le sillage globalement modéré. Il est à noté que par temps plus clément, les notes vanillées deviennent plus présentes et évoquent à juste titre Shalimar. Habit Rouge est considéré comme le Shalimar des hommes. Il est le grand classique de la parfumerie masculine française, au même titre que Eau Sauvage ou encore Pour un homme.

EmorandeiraEmorandeira 13 months ago
Lemon, vanilla and rose mix tagged for men. Averega performance but amazing smell. More Woody than the edt versión. For Daytime use.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 18 months ago
What a lovely scent. After falling in love with Vetiver, this one will have to end up in my collection. It's just creamy and beatiful
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
Habit Rouge is Shalimar "au masculin".
Absolutely astonishing.
John Travolta used this cologne in Pulp Fiction. ;-)
Giesta40Giesta40 3 years ago
A lemon, woody, leathery, powdery perfume. What can go wrong? This one impress me all the times I smell it... so rich! My signature scent.

by UniqueCherie
by Russelrunner
by Giesta40
by Giesta40

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain