Habit Rouge 2003 Eau de Parfum

Habit Rouge (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain
Habit Rouge (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for men and was released in 2003. The scent is citrusy-powdery. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
Base Notes Base NotesLeatherLeather
OudOud
VanillaVanilla
PatchouliPatchouli

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 12.10.2021.

In dubio.
I don’t know where to start. I’m wearing HR right now. It’s colder outside. It’s windy. Not European cold, but west coast USA cold, which is not so cold as European cold. Nevertheless I felt in the mood to spray HR today. So one spray left, one right, one chest. I’m relating this fragrance to colder weather. Don’t know why. The first time I sprayed this on, after it was delivered, I genuinely believed I made a big mistake in blind buying a 100ml bottle. Had to wash it ioff. I put it away for a few months. Kinda forgot about it until I used a single spray when I went to bed one night. Yes I do, it’s soothing and makes me feel good to smell a good fragrance when I go to sleep. Anyway, I liked it this time better than the first time I used HR. Repeated this ritual several times. At bedtime that is. So here we are, months later and sprays later, I actually started to slowly like it. It’s still not my first grab, but the more I wear it the more I appreciate it.

There has been said enough about the notes. I’m not going into depths here. All I can say is that it is a beautiful blend of beautiful ingredients. About an hour into the dry down it smells smooth, powdery texture, flowery. These are general terms because I have no clue how the different notes from the pyramid suppose to smell. Sure enough Orange, I know. That’s in the top and I smelled it. Nice opening, fresh. Must be the bergamot. I know how leather smells, get this faintly. I know vanilla but I don’t smell it. What kinda puts me off is, what I think is, patchouli. Maybe this is the reason why I can’t stand Armani’s ADG Profumo.

All in all I’m convinced about keep trying HR EDP, but only then when I’m in the mood and the weather is telling me to stay in.

Thank you for reading.
Deceptive perfectionism
Initially, a well-groomed warm leather base unfolds, which is enlivened by pure, sharp orange and essential ginger oil. In the next seconds, various spices, of which I perceive especially cinnamon, and a tart, candied lemon. The light leather remains dominant and gives a fine, lively impression. The fragrance develops a gentle, but necessary strength.
Thereupon, the basic composition is continuously underlined. Thus, light-powdery neroli emerges and provides a quaffable bouquet, sandalwood brings in an oriental spiciness and subtly sweet vanilla with soft patchouli round off the fragrance. This is quite sophisticated and fascinating.

Habit Rouge eau de parfum is time-honored perfection in virtuoso purity! I am thrilled by the balance that succeeds here without losing the fragrance to the extreme. However, for all the harmony, I find it lacks a certain extravagance that is to be expected, especially from a house like Guerlain. In fact, this perfume otherwise combines everything that makes a compositional masterpiece. An elegant, perfectly formed character, a timeless wearability as well as an unsurpassed diversity.
Jean-Paul's Dream
"Bluish wisps of mist clung to the reddish edges of a summer that had almost fled. Then a barely audible rustling sounded on the distant heath. The barking of hounds mingled with the low notes of hunting horns and pierced the morning chill. Then, quite quickly, the garish red skirt of a man appeared, his hands energetically clasping the reins of his thoroughbred.
Had I only dreamed this?
And yet, in the wake of the red robe floated beguiling scents of autumn, mingling with a sensual smell of leather and tobacco. Thus was born in me "Habit Rouge."
These lines illustrate how the perfume came about; you can read about this "dream sequence" in V. Blamond's "Souvenirs de Parfums".

"Habit Rouge" was the first oriental men's fragrance in perfume history in 1965, its creator being Jean-Paul Guerlain.
According to him, the "Habit Rouge" man is an outstanding elitist horseman whose passion for horsemanship is as great as his innate and inherited passion for perfume.
So much for the words and memories of the creator of this fragrance.

I would have gladly taken another test nose full before sitting down to write this commentary: but the atomizer with "the little red jacket" that Yatagan sent me cannot be found, and I was already getting into mild trouble for my repeated search:
One found "this 'little red jacket' can't be that important after all": well, yeah!
Fortunately, there are always notes of mine lying around in books; as a "paper person" I use everything; even old shopping lists if necessary.

So again the vivid fragrance image of a man who wears this creation with dedication and passion:
partly citrus through the fruity freshness of the hesperides, over fine floral scents to a hint of vanilla, warm and refined, spicy and sensual.
A gentleman who loves the country life and his horses, and who actually seems to have fallen a little out of time.
The dandy of the early years of the last century would have been thrilled by this fragrance creation, which is so different from the fresh and discreet men's fragrances known at the time.

Also with me "Habit Rouge" left profound scent experiences, which I would not like to miss.
Maybe that's why I'm still looking for a man who smells like Jean-Paul Guerlain dreamed of back then and later realized in this creation.
He does not necessarily come from a horse stable; but otherwise ...

"Habit Rouge" is a timeless witness to French elegance!
And this is not only the opinion of the house of Guerlain; no, I feel the same way!

Classic and Sophisticated!
This smells sophisticated and niche. It's definitely a classic. Guerlain knows how to blend fragrances. I can definitely smell the vanilla, rose, benzoin, sandalwood, and jasmine the most. I know there are citrus notes but I don't really get a lot of citrus, which is great for me, as I'm not a fan of citrus on my skin. The dry down is absolutely awesome and classy. Great for a black-tie affair, date night for Fall and Spring. I give this a 10 / 10!

KimJong
A masterpiece with many changes.
1. I have a used vintage version with an unknown production year, a current bottle purchased in the late 2000s, and a back up bottle purchased last winter. Habit Rouge EDP 2019 became close to Habit Rouge L'Eau, in both performance and scent. The only difference between the two is that EDP has a little more orange and L'Eau has a little more lemon.

2. The current version certainly lacks performance. Some of the mid notes were omitted and reduced. The smell of an uncomplicated orange custard.

3. But I think it is one of the most lovely scents in the world. It's still delicious and soft.

4. The woody scent from the previous version now remains only weak at the very end. Thus, the magnificent masculinity disappeared and it became almost unisex. I am ready to love a woman wearing Habit Rouge.

5. Originally this was only for cold days, but I found out that the current version works better in spring and summer. Today I wrote this, the temperature in Seoul is 33 degrees Celsius. The temperature of my room with air-conditioning is 26 degrees. Today Habit Rouge works much better than last winter.

6. I loved the version of the late 2000s, but I felt it is too mature for me. And It's difficult to say about the vintage version. The vintage of mine smells like the medicinal oud that lost the top note's citrus. I always doubt it is genuine.

7. Now Habit Rouge is not for a formal evening out, but for a relaxing everyday life. As for the current version, it's better to ignore all past comments. There is obvious continuity, but there are many differences compared to before. I do not regard this as a simple downgrade.

8. Those who have been wearing Habit Rouge for a long time may not agree with me. Old fans are likely to be disappointed with the current version. But in my opinion, this current version may be the men's fragrance of the 21st century. The current version is not aristocratic, authoritative or masculine. Rather, it is adorable, attentive, and cute. No one will believe this scent began in the sixties. This is really contemporary.

9. Guerlain's fragrance philosophy and gender perspective are changing little by little. For example, they removed the tobacco note from Vetiver. The same goes for Habit Rouge. I am willing to be a new fan for current Guerlain. They are creating a scent for me, not grandfather's memories.

10. In the end, what I want to say is that the 2019 version has lost weight and performance, but the scent in it has changed from the 2000s version, and I feel that the reformed version now is a little better for me. This is still a masterpiece, in a different way from the previous era.

Summary: Jesus! It soooo good! I love it!

p.s. Sorry for my Infantile english sentence.
Chizza
French fashion from the bottle
Habit Rouge is an absolute classic, there's nothing in it and accordingly I was very excited about the EdP variant at the time. It was supposed to be more orange than lemon compared to the EdT, which is more to my taste, so the decision to buy it was made quickly.
First of all: I appreciate older perfumes, even if I don't like to wear them all, some are in my possession. Now, Habit Rouge is of course something else than the masculine perfumes of the 70s/80s; especially EdP, released in 2003.

Habit Rouge delivers what it promises. I don't think of Scrooge McDuck in a red tuxedo, I think of the 18th or young 19th century. The tailcoat - not wrongly proclaimed as a dress code on exclusive occasions - is a wonderful piece of clothing. Even more beautiful than the tuxedo with cummerbund, which I also like to wear on occasions. Usually a tailcoat is black, rarely dark blue. So a red tails is unusual and the wearer stands out as someone extraordinary. Someone who belongs to the layer that wears a tuxedo, but still wants to stand out; someone with a moody and extroverted character if necessary.
Habit Rouge as a fragrance starts there for me. The powderiness of the orange, the subliminal sublimity and nobility of the fragrance. It works. It's the France of earlier centuries, it's rococo, it's the French Revolution, it's personalities like Marquis de Sade, Victor Hugo, Robespierre and all the others.
Let's get to the fragrance, now that we have only talked about the aura of the fragrance. We have a constantly dominant orange, although the lemon is also clearly visible. But it is dominated by the orange. The fragrance appears fresh but rather fresh-powdery or flowery. In fact, I find the jasmine here so well packaged in the lemon that the floral notes come through without us knowing exactly which flower it is, so we have more lemon with floral notes. That smells fantastic to me!

So it only remains for me to say: I wear the black tails very rarely, the small red one from the bottle all the more often
Very classic
Very classic. First very citrusy, then slightly smoky (incense), clean leathery, vanilla, then powdery, surprisingly quickly gone, but remains on the skin as a soft, powdery, smoky note. Older, I would say, or CEO.
Great scent
Tested this fragrance for a month now...
... ...and I'm satisfied!!!
I think the best way to describe this fragrance is to call it a powdery oldie.
The powdery, however, is by no means feminine, it only rounds off the gentlemanly scent. In my opinion you can enjoy this scent from the age of 30. Geb. carrying, everything else is I believe unsuitable! But if man is thirty and perhaps even has a suit on and perhaps even a beard is a beard carrier then! But also only then ;-)
Then this fragrance is perfect
Because this fragrance fits perfectly to an English gentleman outfit

SvenScent
A little homage for an almost perfect fragrance!

The eau de parfum of the Habit Rouge from the house of Guerlain is based on an absolute classic of perfume history, the eau de toilette of the same name from 1965, which, reformulated, is still offered today. However, since I don't own this fragrance, this commentary will deal solely with the EdP, which first appeared in 2003. But comparisons of the two have been made here anyway.

When I smelled the perfume variant in a perfumery for the first time, I was immediately thrilled and could not keep my nose off the scent for the rest of the day.
At the very first moment something floral jumps into your nose, immediately followed by a heavy dose of tangy, sharp, oily citric. From then on, Habit Rouge could be considered a classic fresh citrus scent à la Eau Sauvage. But what this perfume then does for further twists is already very impressive. Through its powerful neroli heart, Habit Rouge EdP preserves the most beautiful until the end. For here it almost becomes a real leather scent. The vanilla also begins to make its presence felt, but it doesn't paste up the base - as is unfortunately the case with many other fragrances - even though it is written in capital letters in the notes here at Parfumo. It rather stays in the background, because I feel the leather and patchouli, which both harmonize wonderfully with each other, and which are accompanied by a nuance of smoke, which probably comes from the oud. Simply grandiose the whole thing!
By the way, the leather reminds almost one to one of the leather chord of Tom Ford's Ombre Leather.

Habit Rouge is on the one hand very classical, but on the other hand very modern, only the heart with its nerolid dominance may seem a bit old-fashioned and reminds of 4711, but also gives the whole thing a very nice and lasting freshness.
Habit Rouge is portable in all seasons due to its power and versatility. Its performance is remarkable; it easily lasts a whole day with me I wouldn't know what more you can expect from a good perfume, and I don't think you are exaggerating when you talk about a masterpiece with this fragrance...!

ScentSlave
I decided to blind buy this
And I was terrified when I first sprayed it... it DEFINITELY has a femininity to it; the opening especially. A flowery kick to it, with a very waxy feeling of top; honestly I can see the comparison to a woman’s handbag (see @Emorandeira below) being fairly accurate. I can also see the “lemon candy” description fitting as well; almost like a strawberry/lemon cough drop. I didn’t think I was going to like it... until it started to dry down and transform a bit... as it fades out of the opening, the sweetness comes through a bit, and it becomes softer. It becomes a very nice, creamy vanilla scent as the base notes shine through, but I definitely don’t think this will work for the younger crowd. It screams “MATURITY” quite loud in the opening. I think of museums and old school houses every time I lift my wrist and smell it as the opening shines. It’s the “waxy” feeling vanilla note that comes as it transfers from opening into mid that feels odd, and the lemon is really, really strong. I honestly think this would work better for a woman, as the leather note feels more like a designer purse than a leather jacket, or cowboy boots.

Longevity is quite short for me (2019 batch), as it fades away within 3-4 hours.

Not going to be in my regular rotation, but it’s interesting indeed.

Anyone got suggestions of scents to layer it with?

Edit 5/15/2020: This quarantine has me playing with my Guerlain scents more, and I’m growing more of an appreciation for them. Habit Rouge was originally a little too feminine for my taste, but as I sit at home wearing it, I’m beginning to change my mind. It’s the sweetness that’s grown on me. It’s still got a kind of “dusty closet” feel in the roots, but the sweetness seems to have gotten a bit more masculine the more I’ve worn it. Don’t ask me how or why, it simply does... for me anyway. The way the scent has grown on me has me on the verge of ordering the EDT; I’m curious as people talk about how the EDT scent evolves through many phases, while the EDP is more linear. The opening of the EDP still gives the waxy leather feel, but like I said, as I’ve worn it, it seems to have grown on me. When the opening fades, and the middle notes emerge is when I really start loving it. Then the base tones bring me home to an epic feeling, sweet vanilla masculinity. I’m learning to love it.

KuraiKurai 4 months ago
Denser, thicker than its EdT sibling: Orange instead of lemon, more Shalimarish vanilla/incense, more linear. Still great.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 5 months ago
A bright lemony opening. Classy, aromatic, powdery, old school. Floral, slightly smoky, leathery, vanilla. A bite more woody than the EDT.
JayNayJayNay 6 months ago
I did another blind buy. I think I made a mistake this time. It’s heavy and I wanted this so badly to love after all the pos reviews. My bad
EstbienlaEstbienla 10 months ago
A 1965 perfume always at the top! Everything is perfect. Nothing in my opinion can match him even those of the niche
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 2 years ago
Lemon, vanilla and rose mix tagged for men. Averega performance but amazing smell. More Woody than the edt versión. For Daytime use.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 3 years ago
What a lovely scent. After falling in love with Vetiver, this one will have to end up in my collection. It's just creamy and beatiful
Carlitos01Carlitos01 4 years ago
Habit Rouge EdP stands for Shalimar "au masculin". It's absolutely astonishing. John Travolta could have used it in Pulp Fiction.
Giesta40Giesta40 4 years ago
A lemon, woody, leathery, powdery perfume. What can go wrong? This one impress me all the times I smell it... so rich! My signature scent.

by Irini
by Estbienla
by Giesta40
by Giesta40

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Shalimar Millésime Vanilla Planifolia by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain