Habit Rouge L'Eau 2011

Habit Rouge L'Eau by Guerlain
Habit Rouge L'Eau is a popular perfume by Guerlain for men and was released in 2011. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Thierry Wasser

Top Notes Top NotesBitter orangeBitter orange
HazelnutHazelnut
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmineJasmine
Base Notes Base NotesVanillaVanilla
PatchouliPatchouli

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 13.10.2021.

Habit Rouge's twin brother
I love L'Eau as much as the original Habit Rouge. Also I wear it as often as I wear the original one. But L'Eau is not the summer version of the original, nor is it lighter than the original. L'Eau is a slight change just in the opening citrus, which gives it a brighter feel. Some may say this is a modernised version of Habit Rouge, but I think L'Eau is still much closer to classical elegance.

In fact, L'Eau not only shares the DNA of Habit Rouge, but in many ways it's extremely similar. They're like twin brothers with only different hairstyles. So if you already have a Habit Rouge EDT and it's a big bottle of 200ml or 500ml, you won't have to have an additional L'Eau. But if you're crazy about Habit Rouge and you're someone like me who can't live without this scent, you must have L'Eau. Of course you already have this before reading my comment.

L'Eau, just like the original, is something you can wear anywhere, almost anytime. I tend to choose L'Eau over the original when I wear a light colored shirt or casual outfit, but actually it's not consistent. It's just that I enjoy two types of things that I really like (three including EDP, but EDP is a bit different). If you want to make some more changes, I recommend you try Shalimar Piltre. It is closer to Habit Rouge than Shalimar, in my opinion. It was released for women, but nevertheless, Piltre is a gentleman's very fine fragrance, with a very soft lavender and a little rose.

Oh well, as I mentioned at first, I don't think L'Eau is for summer, just like the original. It doesn't matter if it's a dark evening or an air-conditioned indoor environment, but it's still not the best choice to wear during the daytime in midsummer. I'm still looking for Guerlinade-style fragrances for the summer season. I hope someone to give me some advice. These days I usually wear Chanel Paris Riviera, but there's still something that doesn't fill up.

Smellavision
Definitely a more contemporary version of the original Habit Rouge...
- actually I'd say it's slightly more casual.

It's lighter, much less powdery and missing the leather but still clearly has the easily recognizable backbone of the original. Much more wearable to me. Hazelnut is listed, but no rose?? I don't get it, I find it to be clearly rose-oriented still, covered in jasmine, bitter orange, woody patchouli and vanilla. It could even be a unisex fragrance. Actually there's also some resemblance to Habit Rouge Dress Code, albeit it was released after this version.

Impressive longevity and a very reasonable projection, and though I find the original to be too cloying, this version is not bad for a flanker at all.

Taurus1967
The lemon yellow-orange red for the summer
The mouse won't bite a thread: the classic Habit Rouge is an absolute masterpiece. But it's more of an autumn scent and probably more suitable for men over 40 - without mentioning the words old-fashioned or old-fashioned. Interestingly enough, it is rarely noticed by the public, although it has been sold successfully since Anno tuck despite reforms. Whatever that means. Also remarkable is the fact that it is absolutely unique, because this vibe is unique and I don't know of any scented twin or double of second or third degree - apart from the Habit Rouge Flanker's own relatives.

In order to make the so-called Shalimar for Men also appealing to a younger target group (who can even correctly assign a red tuxedo nowadays?) and/or to find buyers who would like to wear HR in summer, Thierry Wasser created this "L'Eau" as a thoroughly fresher and lighter version.

You can tell right away when you spray it on that the citric to orange character is more dominant here and almost resembles a cologne. Somehow the notes alternate between the well-known green lemon from the original and a good shot of orange. One could possibly reproach that both are not only a bit "supernatural" in terms of longevity, but are by no means synthetic or even cheap. No - at Guerlain you know what is olfactory and here you make sure you feel good enough.

I think I only recognize the hazelnut in question because it officially appears in the pyramid of scents, otherwise it would have passed me by completely. I would like to meet the one who can actually locate it unknowingly in the blind test. But it doesn't matter otherwise, because the vanilla-patchouli combination typical for HR is already building up from the background. In the run-up to the test, some jasmine comes up, which gives "L'Eau" a touch of floral and seriousness as a stabilizer on the way.

At the latest when the citric mixes skillfully with the powdery, one knows that a Habit Rouge offshoot is doing the honours. Even this slightly sticky undertone has been transplanted.

What should impress every connoisseur: with "L'Eau", we have truly succeeded in creating a light-footed and noble summer variation that carries the Habit Rouge DNA within itself. Surely you would have wished for a little more projection and durability, but you just can't have everything.
Smellscent
Guerlain, you just can :-)
You probably know this: You apply a scent over and over again and you like it better every time... Mood swings are connected with it, situations in which you have put on the scent or will probably put it on ... But you probably know this: many scents are less and less pleasing and in time they downgrade to real "stink bombs"...

One of the former, as I understand it, is Guerlain Habit Rouge L'Eau from 2011, a fragrance that fascinates me with its extremely subtle but omnipresent drydown, which always flatters you in the above-mentioned way and makes it almost predestined as an office fragrance.

The drydown of this fragrance works for me like this: It is still there, it is already gone, it is back, it is gone again, etc. etc. and this over many hours! And every time he's back, a certain joy comes up: Hey yes, you have actually put on Habit Rouge L'Eau!
Hazelnut in the opening? I couldn't really say now, although I already know the smell of Nutella and other relevant hazelnut chocolate spreads well at the breakfast table due to many years of personal experience ...

Jasmine as a heart note? Yes

Vanilla and patchouli at the Drydown? Definitely, yes
But I also feel the jasmine permanently in the drydown, which gives it this fascinating, fresh unsweet floral quality. I have to say, it really impresses me and meanwhile I wear it quite often. The price/performance ratio is very pleasing and for me a proof that good perfume does not necessarily have to be exorbitantly expensive.
Chevalier
It has long been one of my principles that the smallest things are by far the most important. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
This is how you can see it with this perfectly tuned water of water.
Normally I avoid any kind of dilution in a fragrance, that doesn't make any sense and then goes too hard into the money if I can get the normal one for the same budget. Very rudimentary seen, from my point of view justified as a Sillage fan....
At the beginning, as with all Guerlains, the orange is popular, this is contained in almost all classics of this manufacturer. The Habit Rouges anyway.
Also the typical Guerlinade, the mix of citric with the vanilla is obligatory here.
Where in which family can you divide this one?
Is it a chypre? Is it still an Oriental with a softer start?
I think it's more like chypre and that's what makes the whole story so brilliant. The bond to the classic Habit Rouge is given, but also the freshness which remains active for hours on the skin. Also in the afternoon, without spraying after, one recognizes a light Sillage which is never obtrusive or inappropriate, on the contrary, it connects itself with the time with the own body smell and changes itself in a really good direction. As an office fragrance suitable if you also need the matching fragrance in the chino and the matching jacket. Of course it also works if you meet your buddies and don't want to appear as cotton candy or chewing gum like everybody else.
This lightest of the red family is not suitable for a Coming of Age man, something too classic.
For Ü30 and more exactly fitting.
Seen from the original, this lighter one hardly changes. It does not end in a woody finish, but remains permanently in the same fresh style. For spring and summer ingenious, in the dark season also o.k., if you don't prefer the original or the other even more ingenious dress code.

The house Guerlain covers one with the Habit Rouges for the whole year. There is a suitable container for every season. An ingenious strategy I understood at some point.
So year in, year out I could only wear the red saddles if I wanted to....

Thatsmr2usir
A MUST HAVE FOR A GENTLEMAN!!!
Guerlain has created a beautiful off spring from the original classic! The opening is a beautiful citrus opening with a delicious hazel nut accord that is creamy & blends nicely with the orange.

Soon it is joined by the jasmine which brings a little bit of a fem vibe but rest assured, the composition remains fairly unisex/Manly for those that are concerned. It all ends with some nice woods & vanilla which creates a nice elegant touch!

This is best worn in spring & fall, daytime wear as it is not heavy enough for evening wear for my taste. One would be pressed to find a similar fragrance that does what this does & for the price & quality? It probably won't be matched.

A MUST have for your collection! `

The Unbearable Lightness Of Being
In the face of the complexity of life, it becomes inevitable not to want to adopt sometimes a greater sense of lightness. The perceptions of our senses are sometimes indispensable for these attitudes. Several times I acquired a state of mind induced by a perfume. Habit Rouge L'Eau is for me the door of several feelings that I connect to Milan Kundera's "The Unbearable Lightness Of Being". And if one is impossible to stop reading, the other is impossible to stop smelling!
The Habit Rouge fragrances from Guerlain, at the very least, are all very good!
Some Habit Rouge are quite exceptional!
This one is just fantastic!

I bought this fragrance after buying the regular EDT and EDP versions. I expected it to be a lighter flanker of the EDT edition, but it's not really the case. As a scent, it's as fantastic as the EDT or the EDP, and in line with the unmistakable Habit Rouge ADN.
After spraying you get a bitter orange fresh blast with a perceived added hazelnut and a floral sweetness. This initial impression is tamed by salty & sweet vanilla, with a creamy & smooth vibe, and a very classy patchouly background... amazing! The drydown is all about a residual citrusy bitterness with the velvety vanilla and patchouli string combo. Undeniably it is a great fragrance, indeed.
Performance is very good bearing in mind these fragrance notes (no woods, no resins, no balms) and its EdT concentration; It's better than many EDPs that I own.
The versatility is monstrous as you can wear it everywhere, in all situations, all seasons, day and night.
I splashed myself with 5 sprays of this fragrance this morning, and received some compliments during the day!
Yes... you get compliments with Habit Rouge L'Eau, although this was supposed to be a "safe" fragrance for common daily use.

Let us see what the maths tell us:
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Scent opening: 10.0 (a bitter orange to die for)
Drydown: 9.5 (Guerlain's unmistakable Patchouli and Vanilla blending)
Longevity: 7.5 (well above average for the existing notes but not beasty; up to 7~8 hours with 3 sprays)
Sillage: 7.5 (same as longevity; up to 5 feet and 2.5 hours of projection)
Uniqueness: 10.0 (unique, considering the existing fragrances that I am aware of, with the exception of some Guerlain perfumes like other Habit Rouge and a few Shalimar perfumes)
Wearability: 10.0 (4 seasons, day or night)
Versatility: 9.0 (yes to clubbing, socializing, events, restaurants... yes to dates, romancing, sex, office, beach, picnics, weddings, movies and... yes as a birthday present to your father in law if he is a cool guy)
Quality: 10.0 (my judgement)
Presentation: 7.5 (a bit simple but effective; very good sprayer)
Price: 10.0 (100 ml tester for 19 Euros + VAT - a bargain in FragranceX)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Overall rating for this fragrance: 9.08/10.0
- between 7 and 8 = above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recommended;
- greater than 9 = do not miss;

Recommendation: Any of the Habit Rouge colognes is a fantastic scent and masculine fragrance landmark. I do recommend it even as a blind buy.
My other Habit Rouge related ratings:
The overall rating for the EDT: 9.06/10.0
The overall rating for the EDP: 9.17/10.0

Music: Queen - "It's a Kind of Magic"

Vanilla #1
First off, I just got this so this review might change soon.

Because of the rave reviews I did not do a "practice run", I spritzed some on and went out knowing it was going to be warm today.

Not sure why this receives so many summer season votes, it's a bit too heavy for me, because of the prominent vanilla note.

It's a really nice aroma but I pickup a vanilla heavy scent, not citrus-like that others mention.

I guess it's the hazelnut that adds a bit too much body for my taste. A little goes a long way so caution to those new to this fragrance.

I'll try it again later on when the day temps go down.

Definitely classy and for the over 30 crowd.

Very Nice Indeed!
On the opening you get a very soft and smooth cream like orange citrus note. After a while a airy jasmine note appears and seems to dominate the heart of the fragrance.

In the dry-down the unsweet cream like vanilla takes over with hints of patchouli, woods, musk and a watery note. All in all this fragrance lasts five hours with average projection.

This scent is very nice indeed and the notes are woven very subtlety within the soft and smooth olfactory tapestry.

The drydown is especially good as it seems to morph on your skin. One moment when you sniff yourself up close you smell the orange and musk, other times the jasmine and slight woods.

A worthy fragrance which I would classify as a citrus floral oriental making it perfect to wear anytime and anywhere.

Miaw2
Great version of the classic
This is the most wearable version of Habit Rouge.

Smells clean and not so dated than the classic.

The vanilla and hazelnut notes are very noticeable along with the classic citric note.

Sillage, projection and lasting power are medium-high.

Definetely worth it!

Updated December 2013

WildGardenerWildGardener 4 months ago
Scrubbed up Habit Rouge
wearing a pale nut cream
that was the fashion of the time.
Dan81Dan81 1 year ago
A bitter orange and Jasmine blast that feels...more dated than classic to my immature nose. Nice scent but it doesn't excite me.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
A bitter orange fresh blast tamed by salty & sweet vanilla, with a creamy & smoth vibe and a very classy patchouly background... fantastic!

by Taurus1967
by 123321
by Carboytony
by Carboytony

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Millésime Vanilla Planifolia by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Derby (1985) (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain