Héritage 1992 Eau de Toilette

Héritage (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain
Bottle Design Robert Granai
Top 54 in Men's Perfume
Héritage (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for men and was released in 1992. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesLemonLemon
BergamotBergamot
LavenderLavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesCorianderCoriander
Pink pepperPink pepper
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouliPatchouli
Tonka beanTonka bean
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 18.10.2021.

Héritage was the first men's fragrance by Guerlain, that was released too in the higher Eau de Parfum concentration in addition to the usual Eau de Toilette.

Dignifying the name of Guerlain
The meaning of intangible heritage refers to the wealth of knowledge and skills passed on from one generation to the next. It is usually a person's unique sense of family identity: the values, traditions, culture and even objects that have been passed down from previous generations. We pick up a sense of heritage throughout our lives by observing and experiencing the things that make our family or group unique. The most meaningful way to honour our group's heritage is to incorporate elements of it into our own lives.
The perfume house of Guerlain has always been a reference both for its heritage of high-quality fragrances and for its capacity for innovation. For Jean-Paul Guerlain, naming a perfume after Héritage must have been a coveted but difficult decision. By virtue of its name alone, Héritage carried a far greater responsibility than other perfumes did at the time of their birth. It was supposed to be a perfect or near-perfect fragrance and be considered the icing on the cake... And it really is an outstanding perfume.

Héritage Eau de Toilette stands for pure class and an outstanding patchouli scent. It is elegant but unpretentious! Strong, but delicate! Discreet, but noticeable! Stylish, but brilliant!
... And it lasts a long journey on your skin!
It's probably one of the best perfumes I've ever come across. But that's also true for other fragrances by Guerlain. L'Instant, Habit Rouge, Vetiver, Jicky, Shalimar, Mitsouko come to mind. This perfume is worth every penny (and every ml)!
In all phases, you get some strong accords that combine in perfect harmony. In the top notes, I detect lively lavender, light citrus and a hint of juniper; in the heart notes, fresh spices, pink pepper and geranium; in the base notes, intense, clean patchouli and sandalwood. Other notes of lesser intensity (at least to my nose) such as aldehydes, moss and amber add to the joyful complexity and beauty of this thoroughly masculine perfume.
What a wonderful blend! Launched more than 25 years ago, this fragrance remains a landmark that honours Guerlain's heritage. Guerlain is careful enough not to dilute its older fragrances by watering them down with new formulations. As for my nose, my current bottle of Heritage Juice smells just like the old bottle I bought 6 years ago.
Enough said! I'll probably get a replacement bottle as soon as possible, just to be safe.

How do I rate bottled tradition?
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Opening: 10.0 (Stunning masculine lavender, hints of juniper and citrus, emerging patchouli).
- DryDown: 10.0 (Heavenly patchouli and sandalwood)
- Longevity: 8.0 (3 sprays last up to 8 hours)
- Sillage: 8.0 (up to 6 feet and 2 hours of projection with 3 sprays)
- Exclusivity: 9.0 (still unique after all these years; I notice some similarities with the much younger and expensive Danger pour Homme Eau de Parfum )
- Wearability: 9.0 (you can use it in almost any weather; it's just a little less suitable for warm weather)
- Versatility: 8.5 (you can use it almost anywhere, but I recommend it as an evening fragrance that's good for going out or casual wear. Avoid the beach and gym).
- Praise: 8.5 (You'll get more compliments than average).
- Quality: 10.0 (Great in every way)
- Presentation: 8.0 (The latest all-round bottle from Guerlain)
- Price: 8.0 (I bought it for €30 - 100ml - from an internet retailer; its current usual price is over €50)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Overall rating: 8.82 / 10.00
- between 7 and 8 = above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recommendable;
- greater than 9 = do not miss;

Opinion: Class, heritage and beauty in one perfume bottle. Try it, because you might like it a lot. Its versatility and ease of use might also convince you. I just don't recommend you to buy it blindly because of its current average price.

Music: Paul Simon - "Still Crazy After All These Years"
Salva
My heritage at the edge of the forest
Look, the house at the edge of the forest;
it speaks to you: come here, I've got something!
I creep slowly towards it, because I must; something in me says, Go, do that!

Of the people who lived there, you read they disappeared without a trace;
of the inhabitants, a few miles down the forest to the south, one hears they suffered from incurable mental war wounds.

Industrious they were, industrious they were, upright they were; gift they never received.
The husband, the wife, the daughter; a unit as one wishes;
in these and those times they say they were lynched.

No one has ever entered this house again, yet I dare, for my inner voice will prove me right;
no one has ever come near this house again, yet I now set my mind to it.

I stroll to the door, put my hand on the handle, it feels eerie;
a blustery wind blows, autumn leaves fall from the trees, the branches dance.

I'm on the handle, wondering:

When? When are you going to go in?

Seconds pass, I'm thinking;
Minutes pass, I feel like someone is paralyzing me.
[...]

Now I'm inside, closing the door behind me; I look around, a lot of reading; Brecht, Böll, Heine, Hesse; the crème de la crème of German literary delicacy.

Aiming at the fireplace, next to it on a stool an envelope, what's in it I wonder; I open the envelope, a will I see.

The house is now mine, and in the cupboard by the window is a gift.

I should open it, should I really?
I open it, and am noticeably nervous.

A package, elongated narrow, gray with a red emblem: Héritage, Guerlain;
i unwrap the contents, spray myself; balm for the wounded soul at the moment.

I feel at home, I feel safe; Héritage I read, my French tells me heritage; and this one is just for me!

Your bottle, golden-orange-brown, like the leaves in the forest. And golden is your aura.

A voice whispers in my ear: Take it, it's yours! Be with thee in the pure!
You alone, with Héritage say no to all!

Go home, drink wine, be alone, with heritage in attendance.

[...]

Guerlain Héritage - In refer to you as the fragrance of life. And yes, that's how I mean it.
You are so unique, so wonderful, like the painting Mona Lisa's.

Your purist-pure Guerlain'sche freshness, starting with dreamlike citrus-lavender mix, which is discreetly accompanied by a soft-spicy accord.
A subtle spice blend of coriander and pepper, which holds back but distinguished, so as not to take the scepter away from the fresh Guerlain spirit.

Your transformation in the base to my very favorite earthy patchouli, which is once again refined with a touch of vanilla and thereby slightly orientalized.

That you accompany me 5-6h without jumping around big and looking for attention is a blessing; a blessing for lovers of fragrances like you. A being of a gentleman Guerlains, as I am accustomed.

You are so noble-classic that the attribute classic is already not enough. You are so discreet and mysterious, so refined and expressive.

What more can I say? Nothing! Just stand up, spray on and enjoy!

[...]
Conclusion:

You are not just a perfume that I put on. No, you are an attitude to life, an attitude to life, a lifestyle.

If I had to choose 5 fragrances, you would be there!
Héritage - My heritage at the edge of the forest

Thank you for reading!

Ode to Guerlains history
Released back in time when perfume flankers were more a novelty than a rule, Jean-Paul Guerlain had an idea to mix and match a couple of their best-sellers and create Guerlain Heritage.

One familiar with Guerlains history and their perfumes will unmistakably notice old spirits floating inside of this creation. Here are my 5 quick takes:

- Fantastic opening and good dry down
- A woody oriental perfume with great longevity
- Created by master perfumer Jean-Paul Guerlain in 1992
- Best used during colder seasons as a daytime business scent
- Feels dated but has a class

On one hand, it is a hidden gem worth checking out, and on the other, I would only recommend it to perfume enthusiasts. Also, Heritage the best after taking a shower. Crazy, right? I guess some kind of weird magic happens when this perfume mixes with water, and man oh man.

If the fragrance was this smooth as it is after a shower, it would be one of the best perfumes out there. Guess you can’t have it all.

If you are interested in my perfume work and would like to check out the full review, you can find me on my scentgrail website and social media's under the Scent Grail name. Cheers.
Out of time
Héritage is one of the three fragrances, along with Égoïste and Féminité du bois, whose 1) launch I witnessed as a teenager, 2) are still in production and 3) I've been using ever since. I had Héritage for the first time in '92/'93 and it already seemed to me at that time as something completely out of time, from another decade or epoch. This consistent non-contemporaneity still impresses me. The connections to Jicky, Habit Rouge and Samsara, but also the possible influence that Héritage had on L'Instant pour l'homme a decade later, is perhaps more obvious now - just as the stiff advertising photography (man in a balloon flying through a private Louvre with a salon hanging) may not have led to the desired success - a few years later Jean-Paul Guerlain and Coriolan made a more precise timeline: 5. I still like Héritage, it is finely structured, multi-faceted in detail and incredibly comfortable, only Helmut Lang's first Eau de Cologne comes close. With its 25 or so ingredients, it is also a perfect antidote to the comprehensive thriftiness of the contents and interpretations of 'less is more'. A friend of mine commented on the fragrance a few months ago as 'Garam Masala', I was surprised if I hadn't seen the connection between herritage and subcontinental cuisine, but the image works. Aromaticity, balance, depth, attention to detail and references to an extensive history. Jean-Paul Guerlain's last great men's fragrance, absolutely top!
A classic men's fragrance
Let me ask you first: What do Guerlain, Givenchy, Acqua di Parma, Bvlgari, Maison Francis Kurkdjian, Louis Vouitton, Loewe, Kenzo, Dior and Jean Patou have in common? .-3
.-2
.-1
Answer: All these brands/companies are owned by the luxury group LVMH (there are many more). LV stands in the name for Louis Vuitton, MH for Moët Hennessy (spirits producer). Last year LVMH also bought Tiffany & Co. LVMH was founded in 1987 and the acquisition of Guerlain was already in 1994. At the moment you can find over 400 Guerlain fragrances in databases.

Looking back on Guerlain's rich history with Jicky (1889), Mitsuko (1919) and Shalimar (1925) (the last two created by Jacques Guerlain), Héritage (1992) is one of the more recent creations, although almost thirty years have passed since its appearance.

Héritage is still a fragrance from the pre-LVMH era. The nose behind the two versions (EdT and EdP) is Jean-Paul Guerlain (he is also the creator of Habit Rouge, Samsara, Guerlain Vetiver, among others). By the way, Jean-Paul Guerlain is the grandson of Jacques Guerlain. He retired from the company in 2002 - the end of the family tradition. The Héritage flacon design is by Robert Granai. Regarding the question whether Héritage is produced in Orphin/France, I could not find any confirmation.

In our short-lived world with planned obsolescence and a veritable flood of new fragrances every year, Héritage embodies something enduring. A classic fragrance in the best sense of the word, without grandpa notes or the negative oldschool effect. A younger woman with a friend in her late forties has described the impression this fragrance makes as "confident, warm, mature, confident and sensual". Some people have read that Héritage is supposed to be a kind of spiritual successor to Shalimar; others think that when it was released, Héritage was practically "Samsara for Men".

There are differences between the EdT and EdP versions, with the EdP version appearing slightly warmer, from the notes a little deeper. The slightly sweetish spiciness paired with sandalwood in the drydown is delicious in any case. The EdT, on the other hand, seems a touch lighter and more modern to me.
I was able to test the vintage version, one from 2012 and the current one. There are some differences, but I would have difficulties to distinguish these scents in a blind test.
Only the sweet opening of the older versions seems a bit "retro" to me, but a great masculine composition quickly emerges.

Because of its slight sweetness, the fragrance is sometimes called oriental, but I think it is not characteristic of herritage. Rather the development of the slightly spicy-woody base, which after a while moves towards the guerlain-typical slightly vanilla - here also masculine woody - with a touch of powdery. Timelessly beautiful, elegant, a fragrance with class - as said before, a classic men's fragrance.

Héritage is best suited to a man of a certain age. In any case, I would wear it only rarely (in cool weather) or not yet so often. However, this fragrance could look good on someone in their late 20s, for example, as a suit scent. In the Champs Elysee Radio magazine there was an interview with Jean-Paul Guerlain in 1992 and he said his intention was that Héritage would be to the younger audience at that time the fragrance would be to him what Vetiver and Habit Rouge were to him as a young man.

The fragrance has a good shelf life and a matching silage. It is present, but not too loud. I had the longer durability with the current EdT version. Because of the family tradition I would like to mention Patricia de Nicolaï: she is the nephew of Jean Paul Guerlain. New-York (1989) and Patchouli Intense (2009) by Parfums de Nicolaï could please Héritage fans.

Muotarek
A pioneer in masculine perfumery!!
smooth Patchouli, a touch of rose, hint of sandalwood & dose of lavender when the latter gives the scent a barbershop vibe. I really started to dig this stuff, it is amazing and outstanding. As usual Guerlain doesn't miss when it produces any perfume so far! Absolutely great quality and very complex scent yet easy to wear! that is the hard equation in the perfumery industry.

It has a lot of character, dark, ultra masculine & stays close to the skin on me. Héritage does not force itself into the place; it seductively whiffs your surroundings to come closer.

Heritage Eat Review
It took me a while to get around to reviewing a Guerlain, so I thought i would start with one of their very well known masculine releases. Heritage edt.

Refinement personified...
Guerlain's Heritage is a fragrance for those who appreciate the good things in life. It has a character unto it's own, as if taking all the best parts of the Guerlain classics and putting them into one sumptuous fragrance. It's like a perfect tailored suit, and reminds me of the smell of wool, amber, pipe tobacco and vanilla. Very refined.

I get lavender, sandalwood, vanilla, tobacco, patchouli and a hint of pink pepper. I have heard that this was supposed to be the male version of Samsara. I think this is definitely more conservative and certainly more masculine. It is dominated by the sandalwood note... which is rich, creamy and backed up by lavender and spices. When you first apply it gives a wonderful feeling... like relaxing into a well worn, warm leather armchair by the fire. Absolutely amazing.

If you are looking for something luxurious and refined, and full of character, and for a great price... then look no further. This is the one for you. An absolute gem! Versatile, grown up, and so utterly refined. Beautiful gorgeous stuff!

Solid Sandalwood...
*This is a review of vintage (original formula) Heritage EdT.

Heritage EdT (vintage) opens with a gorgeous bergamot and lavender starring tandem with hints of underlying sandalwood appearing early. As the composition moves to its early heart the bergamot remains sans lavender, now in support of the creamy moderately sweet sandalwood that takes the fore, additionally supported by faint traces of natural smelling lemon and somewhat clay-like coriander spice. During the late dry-down the sandalwood recedes, as a prominent patchouli driven base is revealed, supported by powdery oakmoss and slightly sweet amber through the finish. Projection is average to above average and longevity very good at 10-11 hours on skin.

When first applied on skin, vintage Heritage EdT immediately impresses with its amazing smelling bergamot open with the sandalwood adding just the right level of sweetness and depth. During the mid-section as the relatively sweet sandalwood gains in intensity it can get just a touch cloying at times but never to the degree that one wouldn't want to continue on. Indeed, it pays to continue as the patchouli driven base is brilliantly implemented and even better smelling. While this reviewer is only a modest sandalwood fan, Heritage has enough going on outside the sandalwood to solidify its success regardless (sandalwood included). The bottom line is the approximately $2 per ml on the aftermarket vintage Heritage EdT is a successful sandalwood composition with a twist, earning it an "excellent" rating of 4 stars out of 5 and a solid recommendation to all.

Classic and timeless!
Heritage smells mostly sandalwood, patchouli and pepper.

One of the best releases of all the times, Heritage is a must have for any collector.

Classic and heavy oriental, it's far heavier than other sandalwood based fragrances like Bois des Iles.

It smells like Chanel Egoiste but in my opinion Heritage is deeper and a bit more complex.

Sillage, lasting power and projection are strong.

Eliot65Eliot65 17 days ago
Magic scent, I dont wear it often because the first thought I do is why I do not throw away the other perfumes I have and keep only this
50something50something 3 months ago
The perfect fragrance for me, this and Eau Sauvage. I prefer Heritage edt a smidge over Heritage edp, but they are both my #1. A tie.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 5 months ago
Classic gentlemen Guerlain scent. Héritage opens with bergamot and lavender. Then it gets peppery. A nice patchouli in the drydown. Elegant.
RahulESJRahulESJ 2 years ago
Another beautiful coriander scent perfect for this time of the year! A beautiful burst of Patchouli, Sandalwood and Lavender is fantastic!
KimJongKimJong 2 years ago
Combed hair with pomade. Gray tweed jacket and vest. Vintage felt hat. Brown wing tip shoes. And wearing heritage.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 2 years ago
A true masterpiece: a spicy delight for the gentlemen of all ages. Good sillage and longevity and simple but very refined bottle. I love it!

Discussions about Héritage (Eau de Toilette)

by Irini
by Irini
A true gentleman
by Heavenly85
by VanAllan
by VanAllan
Ein goldenes Parfum für den goldenen Herbst...
by Salva
by Toreter
by Toreter
by Sisyphos
by Sisyphos
gut erkennbar die verschiedenen farbtöne...
by Mustafa
by Mustafa
by TheDorn81
by TheDorn81

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Shalimar Millésime Vanilla Planifolia by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain