Insolence 2008Eau de Parfum

Insolence (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain
Bottle Design Serge Mansau
Insolence (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 2008. The scent is floral-powdery. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Maurice Roucel

Top Notes Top NotesRed berries
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Orange blossom, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesWoods, Sandalwood, Tonka bean

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 13.01.2021.

Simply beautiful and substantial
Insolence is quite peculiar, but gentle.
Me it relaxes to smell him and yet he is also not boring.
It is strongly powdery, but not dry powdery. The orange blossom loosens it up a bit and gives it something special.
The violet note is intense, but not too heavy. Somehow that violet note is strong, but it's still really nice. Graceful.
The fragrance is radiant, but also sees the seriousness of life.
Still, it puts me in a cheerful mood.
The berry notes are pleasant and not sour. And the smell of high-quality cosmetics gives it some freshness. First and foremost, however, it is a powdery floral dream.

elegant arrogance
I always wear this fragrance when I feel / want to feel arrogant.
No ,,bad'', unpleasant arrogance rather a distant, polite and cool arrogance.
The violets and the powdery, make this fragrance totally exceptional, I personally have yet to smell anything similar to this.
Very special, fine, noble, selected, snooty and dismissive. I love it!
If I had to describe a woman wearing this perfume, she would look like this:
- high tied, strict braid that has a bulge outwards at the ends of her hair
- large sunglasses, perfect makeup
- cream sheath dress & calf length coat with lavender Manolo Blahnik's & matching also lavender Hermes kelly bag

One day I will wear this exact outfit paired with this scent, sit down in a cafe in Milan and drink a Dom P. 2008 ! Saluti
My great love
This fragrance was and is for me simply a look back into my past. I have fallen in love with this powdery wonderful cuddly soft violet candy cloud since the first spray! For many people this might be a fragrance for mature ladies, but I don't care because it surrounds me with an elegance that can hardly be put into words. It makes me feel confidently sexy and seductive! In addition, this fragrance is so rare that it makes it even more special! No 0-8-15 fragrance but really something unique. My little secret forever!
Powder Aura
My last sprayer Insolence EdP was a while ago, maybe even a whole year, so I'm just writing down my memories here.

This scent is very loud, strong... and 'dense'. 1 sprayer is sufficient for many hours
It's not too sweet, but very powdery. The violets are by no means fresh violets, but violet pastilles dusted with powder.

I think he doesn't change too much in the course of time either, which doesn't bother me. Gets a bit weaker and sweeter in the finish
If some people call him old-fashioned, I shouldn't argue, because he is a bit old-fashioned. But I would call him rather classical or rather nostalgic When I smell it I see a picture of a rich, pale woman with black hair in the 18th century. Her whole room is somewhat dark, noble and ostentatious with purple decoration. And somewhere behind the closet there's a vampire lurking, haha.

The fragrance is complex, not in the sense of different complex scents, rather the mood it evokes in me. Beautifully cheerful, sweet, but something dark (from the dry powder) has the whole thing already.

A wonderful fragrance for me.
Pinkdawn
Magic garden party with violet punch
Looking for an extraordinary violet fragrance for spring I recently tested Insolence - the EdT and the EdP.

I liked the EdT already once very well, but of course I was now still curious about the EdP.

The EdT appeared in 2006, created by perfumers Maurice Roucel and Sylvaine Delacourte. The EdP came onto the market two years later. This time "only" Maurice Roucel was at work, whom I have in good memory as the creator of the successful apple scent "Be Delicious". I was curious to see what had happened in these 2 years with regard to insolence. Somehow I had the feeling that the fragrance would now appear more "mature", more mature, rounder, softer, creamier, more elegant, more refined. So something like that.
If the EdT was still wild, impetuous and loud, I expected something quieter, a fragrance, so to speak, that already knows what and where it wants to go. Well - and where does the direction go?

In the beginning both perfumes are relatively similar. I find the EdT on my right hand a bit sharper and thanks to the citrus notes more lively and fresh. With EdP on my left, I sniff less freshness, but it develops more personality from the very beginning. In other words: the fragrance is much more powdery and clearly warmer immediately after spraying on. I'd say you can just feel more guerlinade here
Maurice Roucel has changed the composition, it seems to me. The violet is also strongly present at EdP, even a little earlier, but it doesn't seem so provocative. Maybe it's because it doesn't have to fight a strong rose here. Therefore, it can show its true essence from the beginning without restriction, and that is gentle, graceful, soft, creamy, full of charm and beguiling. But that's not all. For the violets, Roucel has put aside the noble sweetness of ripe raspberries.

A garden party in the style of Alice in Wonderland - intense colours, as they are to be found otherwise only in dreams, shrillly dressed party guests in warm sunlight. Ladies in fragrant blossom white dresses with incredible hat creations, very elegant and feminine. Fresh green, exuberant mood - perhaps due to the violet punch, which is strongly attributed here everywhere. On the table a huge vanilla pudding with many freshly picked raspberries, which exude a fine, sweet scent.
(I know this perfume doesn't contain vanilla, but that's my association.)

The atmosphere has something unreal, magical, lively, but also this exciting feeling that everything can happen here at any time. But whatever happens, I feel that of all the adventures I could experience now, I can always return to this cheerful place with the violet punch if I want to.

The EdT seems to me comparatively rather mainstream with its proven citrus chords and the equally proven red common berries. It may be more suitable for the beginning of spring. For it is more sparkling, cheekier, cooler, greener, more citric and fresher. The flowery-fruity EdP, on the other hand, can also survive well in summer. I have the impression, it gets along with fewer scent chords, which are however more complex defined. Maybe that's why I find it so inspiring, because it's not as loud and restless as the EdT. Somehow EdP has more substance for me, more depth. And a longer shelf life of course anyway.

Violets and raspberries dominate from the beginning. I don't notice any citric notes at all. Iris and orange blossom give the fragrance its typical powdery note, which immediately recognizes it everywhere, but are more in the background.
And the woods in the base note also only seem to underline the noble flowery-fruity sweetness that makes this perfume so attractive.

The fragrance has been described as something for a thoroughbred woman or for women who know what they want. That's not how I feel about Insolence, though. There are more than enough fragrances for self-confident women who know what they want. Most are more classic, strict, synthetic, abstract and dominant than the more cuddly, charming insolence.

And the thoroughbred? A beautiful sensuality is already present, and the fragrance is very feminine, but also has something elitist, eccentric. I therefore see the wearer more as a woman with a certain serenity, courageous enough to have retained her natural girlhood and still willing to explore fairy-tale worlds.

I can well imagine going through spring and summer with Insolence EdP next year.
My Violet
I must admit my nose does not perceive the entire fragrance composition in detail... I smell "only" violets, violets, violet pastilles, and that's exactly what I was looking for. Soft and gentle and simple for me exactly what I was looking for. The scent surrounds me from morning till evening and if it gets too sweet, I take a little "Nosa nobile" over it, that makes it a little fresher
Berry good mood
At the first spray I still thought "OHA! What I have me here then angeacht". Powder upon powder. Sweet. Berry. But almost immediately I thought "Go yet!" and grinned to myself.

The berries seem to have been dusted with powdered sugar, but only enough to keep their tartness from coming through. The sweetness is fine for me, I can still make out the fruit. I'm sure the blossoms make sure of that, too. And this mixture of berries, flowers and powder accompanies me for many hours until at some point a gently woody-creamy note joins in. Me conjures this predominantly fruity-floral powder scent a smile in's face.

This works for two or three days. Today, I have "Insolence" sprayed on again, I realize that it's enough of the good mood now times, tomorrow must be another fragrance. Maybe that's also because "I" lasts and lasts and lasts on me. Sprayed on in the morning, I can still smell this fragrance the following morning. The sillage settles after a while at about arm's length.

Who knows "L'Instant de Guerlain" EdP also, has probably already noticed that these two fragrances are siblings. There are moments when I would almost bet that I sprayed on the L'Instant, so similar they are at times. And as for the good mood factor, I see sibling similarities with "Aqua Allegoria Rosa Pop", that one had that uplifting effect on me too.

Whether "Insolence" makes it into the collection is not yet decided.

I thank SolisOccasum for the test possibility.

BelAmi
Against the seriousness of life
In these times when my whole life is very serious, because of a bad news concerning my family or because a child in one of the countless phases of defiance or my unloved colleague has thought up something new, which is only for annoyance, I often go through the days with a perfume that strengthens my back. Serious and upstanding. A few months ago, on a very unserious day, I roamed the shops with the children. No rush, no worries, no defiance on the horizon. "Insolence" fell into my hands. The name is pretty much the opposite of my nature. But I like the bee flacons and the violet color of the contents. The scent was unknown to me until then. A sprayer on the hand. My 5-year-old daughter by return of post: sun cream! ...interesting association, even if the scent is miles away from sun creams I know. He smells like a colourful childhood to me. Violets and chewing gum (the colorful balls that used to be available for 10 Pfennig in the vending machine - for turning). Artificial. Fruity-powdery, not modern. It wouldn't be right if I said: a beautiful fragrance! No, this one doesn't want to be beautiful. He's not diplomatic, he's not reserved, he's not conformist. "Insolence doesn't want to be perfect. I think he's kind of weird. And I like him a lot.

I usually know berries in sweet. Isn't this one. Again and again I think: a funny smell (but I like to smell funny? No!). And weird (do I like to smell weird? I don't know...). In a statement to the EdT I read "Old lady with mini skirt and striped stockings makes raspberry chewing gum bubbles". Fits. Also to EdP. The sprayer on my wrist had also reached the jacket sleeve. The scent holds and holds and holds. Even after days, when I passed my jacket in the morning, I thought: what smells so good? Oh... "Insolence"! Interesting. Smells good with distance, very good. And yet, no, with this scent, I don't feel very well dressed. I'm not loud, not flashy, not weird. People like to call me in professionally when critical discussions are to be held or mediated. For years I have been surrounded by a cloud of perfume in my office, which is more serious - serious and reserved. And then came the day when an unloved colleague, who had been trying to make my life difficult for months, got on my nerves too much. And I thought to myself: Insolence, here you are right. You'll only beat that woman with your own weapons - in word and fragrance. She hasn't bothered me since. The words remain secret. The scent: exactly, "Insolence". The EdP (2017).

Privately, when I wear "Insolence", I have to smile inside. He delights me because he is so funny, crazy and at the same time so incredibly likeable and lovable. When it's grey in grey outside again for days or the children are impatient with me - then he conjures a smile into my heart. Just don't take things so seriously.

The shy violet dares
Violets are the first spring flowers: they seems like shy, humble, they remind to a discrete and just suggested feminity, they appear in the classic eaux de cologne and in historical scentes like Viletta di Parma and similar. I could associate the violet to the famous painting of the lady with the parasol and to White and pastel lace clothes.
But the violet contained in this wonderful creation by Guerlain is another thing: yes, sir, the shy violet became unhibited and very sexy with a strong character and and intoxicating effect.
I must confess that just a few months ago I didn't like so much this fragrance, because I 'm not a great violet scent lover. But something has recently changed smelling again this eau de parfum.
First of all I perceived the red berries scent, round and fruity, making me think of the good season, but immediately the main actress arrives: a strong violet note , vibrant like a soprano solo, intense, provocative, almost "insolent" , just like the scent name suggests.
This flowery and intoxicating note is harmonized in a warmer accord made of Woods and a quite gourmand tonka bean, lasting on the skin for many hours and revealing more and more a quite velvety and vanilla drydown.
A hymn to feminity, perfect to wear in the spring nights or in those cold first days of early spring.
The new but historical decorated bottle with the bees (the bee , "l'abeille", is the symbol of the Maison Guerlain) is a glass art masterpiece and gives a more precious character to this great classic of the contemporary perfumery. The price is obviously high, but I think that this one is a must have in a perfumes collection.
So, if the violet dares....dare the violet!

Confident Femininity
Insolence EDP's opening is a very powdery iris to my nose. And if sprayed heavily, it actually reminded me of iris in Shalimar Parfum Initial.

This extremely powdery phase lasted around 1 hour on me and then the violet becomes more and more clear, finally takes over the whole scent. It's sweet violet decorated by powdery iris and a small amount of red berries to give the flowers a kick.

Some perfumes sit close but maintain an intensity, like a velvet covered on skin, while some are like a fog surrounding the skin, but difficult to discern a shape, for exemple Kenzo Flower, and here, Insolence EDP.

The tonka beans and woodsy notes are subtle and the scent doesn't evolve too much while slowly fading away. The sillage is moderate on me and the longevity is at least 8 hours.

I tried it several times and honestly, during the first time, I liked it but was not impressed. However, the more I try, the more I like it. The name 'Insolence' is so well chosen for this series. The fragrance is sweet and well blended, but the same time it leaves out an unconstrainted confidence of its beauty. Definitely worths a try, though it'd better to prepare for its powdery texture.

EurochicEurochic 1 year ago
Violets on steroids.
It’s impossible not to be noticed when wearing Insolence EDP.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 2 years ago
The shy violet becomes uninhibited and very sexy, with fruity touches and a woarm base. The sillage is fantastic and strong. Precious bottle

by IrisNobile
by Florblanca
by Dagi78
by Dagi78

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Derby (1985) (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain