Insolence (2008) Eau de Parfum

Insolence (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain
Bottle Design: Serge Mansau

Insolence (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 2008. The scent is floral-powdery. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Maurice Roucel

Top Notes Top NotesRed berries
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Orange blossom, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesWoods, Sandalwood, Tonka bean

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 12.09.2019

My Violet
I must admit my nose does not perceive the entire fragrance composition in detail... I smell "only" violets, violets, violet pastilles, and that's exactly what I was looking for. Soft and gentle and simple for me exactly what I was looking for. The scent surrounds me from morning till evening and if it gets too sweet, I take a little "Nosa nobile" over it, that makes it a little fresher
10.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

BelAmi
Against the seriousness of life
In these times when my whole life is very serious, because of a bad news concerning my family or because a child in one of the countless phases of defiance or my unloved colleague has thought up something new, which is only for annoyance, I often go through the days with a perfume that strengthens my back. Serious and upstanding. A few months ago, on a very unserious day, I roamed the shops with the children. No rush, no worries, no defiance on the horizon. "Insolence" fell into my hands. The name is pretty much the opposite of my nature. But I like the bee flacons and the violet color of the contents. The scent was unknown to me until then. A sprayer on the hand. My 5-year-old daughter by return of post: sun cream! ...interesting association, even if the scent is miles away from sun creams I know. He smells like a colourful childhood to me. Violets and chewing gum (the colorful balls that used to be available for 10 Pfennig in the vending machine - for turning). Artificial. Fruity-powdery, not modern. It wouldn't be right if I said: a beautiful fragrance! No, this one doesn't want to be beautiful. He's not diplomatic, he's not reserved, he's not conformist. "Insolence doesn't want to be perfect. I think he's kind of weird. And I like him a lot.

I usually know berries in sweet. Isn't this one. Again and again I think: a funny smell (but I like to smell funny? No!). And weird (do I like to smell weird? I don't know...). In a statement to the EdT I read "Old lady with mini skirt and striped stockings makes raspberry chewing gum bubbles". Fits. Also to EdP. The sprayer on my wrist had also reached the jacket sleeve. The scent holds and holds and holds. Even after days, when I passed my jacket in the morning, I thought: what smells so good? Oh... "Insolence"! Interesting. Smells good with distance, very good. And yet, no, with this scent, I don't feel very well dressed. I'm not loud, not flashy, not weird. People like to call me in professionally when critical discussions are to be held or mediated. For years I have been surrounded by a cloud of perfume in my office, which is more serious - serious and reserved. And then came the day when an unloved colleague, who had been trying to make my life difficult for months, got on my nerves too much. And I thought to myself: Insolence, here you are right. You'll only beat that woman with your own weapons - in word and fragrance. She hasn't bothered me since. The words remain secret. The scent: exactly, "Insolence". The EdP (2017).

Privately, when I wear "Insolence", I have to smile inside. He delights me because he is so funny, crazy and at the same time so incredibly likeable and lovable. When it's grey in grey outside again for days or the children are impatient with me - then he conjures a smile into my heart. Just don't take things so seriously.
9.0 9.0 8.0 8.5/10

The shy violet dares
Violets are the first spring flowers: they seems like shy, humble, they remind to a discrete and just suggested feminity, they appear in the classic eaux de cologne and in historical scentes like Viletta di Parma and similar. I could associate the violet to the famous painting of the lady with the parasol and to White and pastel lace clothes.
But the violet contained in this wonderful creation by Guerlain is another thing: yes, sir, the shy violet became unhibited and very sexy with a strong character and and intoxicating effect.
I must confess that just a few months ago I didn't like so much this fragrance, because I 'm not a great violet scent lover. But something has recently changed smelling again this eau de parfum.
First of all I perceived the red berries scent, round and fruity, making me think of the good season, but immediately the main actress arrives: a strong violet note , vibrant like a soprano solo, intense, provocative, almost "insolent" , just like the scent name suggests.
This flowery and intoxicating note is harmonized in a warmer accord made of Woods and a quite gourmand tonka bean, lasting on the skin for many hours and revealing more and more a quite velvety and vanilla drydown.
A hymn to feminity, perfect to wear in the spring nights or in those cold first days of early spring.
The new but historical decorated bottle with the bees (the bee , "l'abeille", is the symbol of the Maison Guerlain) is a glass art masterpiece and gives a more precious character to this great classic of the contemporary perfumery. The price is obviously high, but I think that this one is a must have in a perfumes collection.
So, if the violet dares....dare the violet!
7.0 5.0 8.0 8.0/10

Confident Femininity
Insolence EDP's opening is a very powdery iris to my nose. And if sprayed heavily, it actually reminded me of iris in Shalimar Parfum Initial.

This extremely powdery phase lasted around 1 hour on me and then the violet becomes more and more clear, finally takes over the whole scent. It's sweet violet decorated by powdery iris and a small amount of red berries to give the flowers a kick.

Some perfumes sit close but maintain an intensity, like a velvet covered on skin, while some are like a fog surrounding the skin, but difficult to discern a shape, for exemple Kenzo Flower, and here, Insolence EDP.

The tonka beans and woodsy notes are subtle and the scent doesn't evolve too much while slowly fading away. The sillage is moderate on me and the longevity is at least 8 hours.

I tried it several times and honestly, during the first time, I liked it but was not impressed. However, the more I try, the more I like it. The name 'Insolence' is so well chosen for this series. The fragrance is sweet and well blended, but the same time it leaves out an unconstrainted confidence of its beauty. Definitely worths a try, though it'd better to prepare for its powdery texture.
10.0 6.0 8.0 9.0/10

Santalwalti
A clearing in the nearby forest...
As a child, I loved almost every fairy tale I read. I especially liked it when a fairy tale was read to me; probably it stimulated my imagination even more than I read it myself. Devotedly, I listened to my mother's voice and followed the pictures that were painted before my eyes, step by step, and immerse myself deeply in them. Soon it was difficult for me to distinguish between what I had heard and reality. If the fairy tale had been read out, I still stayed on winding forest paths, in royal houses, with princes and fairies and with the seven dwarves ...

The other day, when I sprayed on 'Insolence', the scent took me, like in a fairy tale, to another place and another reality. Early in the morning I was on a dirt road that led me to a nearby forest. My path was lined with bushes of wild, bluish red berries, which I picked and immediately disappeared into my mouth. But I wanted more of it, I wanted to collect it and bring it home. Attracted by the prospect of a much greater yield of fruit, I left the path and went deeper and deeper into the thicket. I was suddenly enchanted by the intense smell of the trees, the moist leaves and the wonderfully fragrant berries. Soon my bag was full to bursting and I could have made my way back. But I became curious and went deeper and deeper into this fragrant, colourful natural paradise. Then I reached a clearing and discovered a lush collection of blue violets and wild white-flowered irises near a moss meadow. The flowers wetted by the rain and gradually opening from the sun spread a wonderful aroma. Following a spontaneous impulse, I stretched out my hand, wanted to take some of these beauties with me, but at the last moment I pulled my hand back. Instead I sat down at the clearing, enjoyed the first rays of sunshine of that day and absorbed the bewitchingly fresh and balsamic-spicy smell of iris, violet, my berries and the surrounding conifers. Completely relaxed I closed my eyes and enjoyed the moment that seemed like a meditation, quiet and calming.

How long I stayed there, I don't know. At some point I remembered that I had taken an orange with me as food for my walk, which I now peeled devoutly and sniffed at before I ate it. Delicious, just delicious!

I was captivated by the perfectly harmonious mixture of the most wonderful aromas. A fairy-tale scent went up my nose. Even the paper in which I had stored the orange contributed its part to the fragrance life.

An unforgettable moment.
Insolence' - a wonderful, elegant, fruity, flowery and yet mysteriously papery fragrance! I don't know why this creation was called that, there's nothing cheeky about it. On the contrary, it brings about silence, harmony, peace and an inner joy.
Thank you, dear Aolani, for these magical moments in the forest....
6.0 4.0 2.0 7.5/10

Flowery soft lovely light
I thought I had to have this insolence after almost all comments reported positively about it. The same applies to the warning not to spray too much as otherwise a scent overkill will float around you. So I went to the store and bought a bottle, just to be on the safe side only 30 ml.

On my skin:
The first sprayer. Delicate berries lie down and light faint soft sweetness. Nothing else.
I'm a little confused, so I may have sprayed too little?
So, even more courageously sprayed. Still tender fine soft warm berries, nothing else.

About the Sillage: unfortunately only perceptible on my skin, unless I completely fog myself in and then only perceive for half an hour from a short distance.

Don't misunderstand, I like the scent. It is sweet, delicate, gently slightly sweet, but no olfactory experience on my skin.

Could it be that the EDP of 2017 is only a copy of what it used to be?

Hovering in happy land
I found a new favorite (well, knew to me). Insolence beamed me right up to heaven with the first spray, and I am still hovering up in happy land. I am not even a fan of flowery fragrances, but this is so awesome, it will be one of my top 10 favorites. I think the berry aspect is what makes this floral frag so great. Guerlain and Jil Sander are my favorite perfume houses, and with my new discovery of Insolence (I own the purple juice), I must say that this is after Shalimar EDP my second favorite Guerlain beauty. The more scents I discover, the more ferocious I become when it comes to my love for fragrances. I don't know what else to say, except that for me this lady is perfection through and through.

Brambles and Berries
I spent some time wearing Apres L'Ondee, L'Heure Bleu and Insolence to find that rainbow connection to LHB, but my system records the overall similarity to be most akin to Apres L'Ondee. I've even taken to wearing one single puff of Insolence EDP to the cleavage with Apres L'Ondee behind the ears, some sprayed into my hair, which acts as a good fixative, diffuser. Hawthorn comes through, the scent of the hedgerow, and you know that nobody within miles is wearing the same fragrance. Tomorrow, however, I won't have the fortitude to wear it again; these Guerlain fragrances are challenging, as many have noted. The fact that I can successfully layer Apres L'Ondee with Insolence EDP allows me to enjoy both fragrances a great deal more, toning down the strident Insolence and adding berries to the wistful wonderland that is Apres L O. If we stop to think about it, berries are a natural fit with the Ode to Spring, so thanks to Maurice Roucel, I have found another brambled path in which to enjoy a classic Guerlain
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Not your "classic" violet scent
For me it opened with a cloud of "stuff" no one note coming through, then after a moment I got the smell of a "ripe" violet. Not candied and powdery but "ripe". I am assuming the berries behind it gave it that interesting dimension. The violet in this is warm, not cool like most violets. After wearing it awhile it warmed up with the sandalwood and the honeyed scent of Orange blossom behind the violet. This mellowed the violet a bit more, which kept the whole thing from feeling to linear. The dry down introduced the Tonka bean, giving yet another dimension to the violets. This stuff lasts all day.

This is definitely not a "classic violet" scent. It does not follow the traditional violet trajectory even though violet is consistently the main note throughout. The scent is continually evolving on the skin during the course of the day giving the violets different dimensions and preventing the linear trap many violets find themselves in. Lovely.

It's a bit too strong for me to wear everyday, without growing tired of it, but it is really an excellent addition to the rotation of a violet and gardenia lover like myself. It shakes things up a bit.

Oct
2013
10.0 10.0 10.0 9.0/10

Insolence EDP
The nuclear bomb of violets has been dropped to earth and detonated. This unapologetically magnificent Queen-B of violets has swept in and decimated everything in her wake. The fantastic sillage leaves all the Poisons, Aliens, Opiums, Angels, and even Giorgio in the dust. The usual shy, shrinking violet has shown her true colors. And that color is a blinding neon-amethyst-supernova-implosion-plasma-PURPLE! Hurrah!!! The spiral construction of this scent really is amazing. This intriguing mix of fruits, florals, spices, and woods weaves in on itself over and over again so that the whole composition shines forth splendidly for the entire duration of its endless longevity. The top and middle notes maintain their fearless purple power even as the whole distinctly Guerlain base fully unfolds, resulting in a fascinatingly complex scent that is at once bewitchingly heady yet intriguingly deep. Tonka bean imparts just a tad more spicy complexity to the base and a less cloying sweetness than simple vanilla. Earthy iris and elegant sandalwood anchor the base with a regal depth.

I happen to adore violets, berries, iris, rose, orange blossom, and sandalwood. I cannot rejoice enough that there has finally been created a fresh, opulent, powerhouse woody-violet floral scent that is of low sweetness, but luxuriantly rich and complex, yet still with no need for animalics, patchouli, citrics, or vanilla.

It’s remarkable really. On my skin, this is a lushly shadowed grove of violets standing proudly in the damp evening earth, their petals dripping with the crystalline drops of a recent refreshing rain, amplifying the flowers’ scent in the early evening, wafting purple enchantment through the mossy ancient forest …..little animals and mysterious night creatures are starting to stir in the lingering mist. Dreamy, mesmerizing, takes me to another world. I just love this one. Standing ovation for Guerlain here. This IS a masterpiece.

jtd
An upbeat, yet still contemplative take on l'Heure Bleue
Insolence varies from EDT to EDP concentrations. There are olfactory similarities but where they differ is how they relate to their Guerlain ancestors. I’ve read that Insolence is Maurice Roucel’s paean to Après l’Ondée (1906--a perfume I’ve never smelled) but I take Luca Turin’s point that Insolence EDT lobs a number of l’Heure Bleue’s (1912) accords at you at various times in the fragrance's evolution. It’s as if l’Heure Bleue is being quoted or at least closely paraphrased. Overall, Insolence EDT is an accomplished, well-designed perfume with surface similarities to l’Heure Bleue. And contrary to the naysayers, I love the opening notes of Insolence EDT. They’re like a warning.

Insolence EDP is substantively different from the EDT and its ties to l’Heure Bleue are more fundamental. I see Insolence EDP as l’Heure Bleue reincarnated in the 21st century. I’ve seen l’Heure Bleue called melancholic and I get it. I love l’Heure Bleue. It’s probably my favorite of the classic Guerlains, besting Jicky, Vol de Nuit and even Mitsouko. Though I wear it often, it best suits my darker hours. I can’t describe how L’Heure Bleue embodies a state of melancholy. Maybe it’s my Irish heritage showing through and I simply tune into it. It’s a great term, melancholy: ‘black bile’ and all, but a bit anachronistic.

Where l’Heure Bleue is from the time of Freud, Insolence EDP was born into the era of neurotransmitter insufficiencies and psychopharmacology. EDP is l’Heure Bleue with the benefit of an SSRI and an atypical antidepressant on board. A bit less romantic, I’ll admit, but here we are.

The EDP seems a more studied reflection on l’Heure Bleue that the EDT is. Seen as family, the EDT might have her ancestor's eyes, but EDP and l’Heure Bleue are like twins born into different eras. Insolence EDP and l’Heure Bleue both are reflections on orange blossom and violet and both play with olfactory chiaroscuro. Each underpins the florals with a vanillic amber, but where l’Heure Bleue uses a clovelike carnation to pull things toward despondency, Insolence EDP uses a raspberry/tonka combination that gives it a warm, easy laugh.
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Sticky and sweet
Guerlain's Insolence EDP is surprisingly delicious. I expected something sickly sweet, and while this fragrance is sweet, there's no denying it, the darkness that surrounds the candied notes makes it more enticing than headache inducing.

The original EDT version of Insolence was too sweet for me, with a fairy-floss note that didn't agree with my chemistry. This fragrance is so much more complex. Twice as strong and shall I say, a little gothic. The violets are outrageously loud and sexy, complimented by what appears to be blackcurrant and patchouli.

Insolence EDP is a heavy hitter that should be used with caution. It's a fragrance that borders between being cheap and nasty, and irresistibly sexy. I find this fragrance simply intoxicating.

Despite the fact that wearing Insolence EDP gives me the guilty pleasure of smelling like a stripper for the day, I'd be daring enough to wear this fragrance to a formal event just for kicks. I'm so used to smelling fresh violet scents, that you have no idea how much this richer, more jam-like violet has changed me.

All that tartness, syrup and depth is divine. This fragrance reminds me of Stephen Jones EDT, as commissioned by Comme Des Garcons, which is described as violets that have been hit by meteorites. Indeed there is something less than earthly about Insolence EDP too.
10.0 10.0 10.0 8.0/10

Yummy violet
I'll try my best to translate some of my german comments from german to english - starting with the most recent ones.

Well, about half a year ago I was given a sample of the EdT. To my taste this was virtually unbearable. The violet note strongly reminded me of the pink children's toothpaste named "Blendi". A very strong sillage and incredible longevity. I was not able to scrub it off my skin. I really got on my nerves. Lateron I tried the EdP and didn't find it "that bad".
During our last common vacation I learned that my mum, who is a big violet-lover, fell in love with Insolence EdP. So I got it as a christmas present for her. Subsequently she wore it for a couple of days (while I was still there ;)) - and I really liked it. One single spritz is enough that other people can smell it the whole day. Using this dosage, it doesn't get cloying or anything. Your just get a whiff from time to time when she moves by. Just right to my taste. I still have some of that toothpaste-association (I get that with Après l'ondée, too, by the way) - however it is not as strong here. It is more elegant, more refined, deeper, not as artificial and trashy as the EdT.
In the late drydown it gets a very soft and pastel scent, vanilla? I think it might be the tonka.

As a conclusion I would say that this is good stuff, very intense and durable - you don't need to (and perhaps shouldn't) apply too much. I really like that one on my mum. I'll give it a good rating although I wouldn't wear it for myself. Partly because now it's my mum's new signature scent - and because it is not my kind of style (as you might see when having a look at my collection). Well, now I'm getting myself a dose of Bois du Portugal before it gets too flowery ;)

Jazzy76 9 months ago
The shy violet becomes uninhibited and very sexy, with fruity touches and a woarm base. The sillage is fantastic and strong. Precious bottle
9.0

Matala Beach Festival Kreta ♥
by Dagi78
by Dagi78

Popular Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Jicky (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain