Insolence (2008)Eau de Parfum

Insolence (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain
Bottle Design Serge Mansau

Insolence (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 2008. The scent is floral-powdery. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Maurice Roucel

Top Notes Top NotesRed berries
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Orange blossom, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesWoods, Sandalwood, Tonka bean

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 10.07.2020.

Pinkdawn
Magic garden party with violet punch
Looking for an extraordinary violet fragrance for spring I recently tested Insolence - the EdT and the EdP.

I liked the EdT already once very well, but of course I was now still curious about the EdP.

The EdT appeared in 2006, created by perfumers Maurice Roucel and Sylvaine Delacourte. The EdP came onto the market two years later. This time "only" Maurice Roucel was at work, whom I have in good memory as the creator of the successful apple scent "Be Delicious". I was curious to see what had happened in these 2 years with regard to insolence. Somehow I had the feeling that the fragrance would now appear more "mature", more mature, rounder, softer, creamier, more elegant, more refined. So something like that.
If the EdT was still wild, impetuous and loud, I expected something quieter, a fragrance, so to speak, that already knows what and where it wants to go. Well - and where does the direction go?

In the beginning both perfumes are relatively similar. I find the EdT on my right hand a bit sharper and thanks to the citrus notes more lively and fresh. With EdP on my left, I sniff less freshness, but it develops more personality from the very beginning. In other words: the fragrance is much more powdery and clearly warmer immediately after spraying on. I'd say you can just feel more guerlinade here
Maurice Roucel has changed the composition, it seems to me. The violet is also strongly present at EdP, even a little earlier, but it doesn't seem so provocative. Maybe it's because it doesn't have to fight a strong rose here. Therefore, it can show its true essence from the beginning without restriction, and that is gentle, graceful, soft, creamy, full of charm and beguiling. But that's not all. For the violets, Roucel has put aside the noble sweetness of ripe raspberries.

A garden party in the style of Alice in Wonderland - intense colours, as they are to be found otherwise only in dreams, shrillly dressed party guests in warm sunlight. Ladies in fragrant blossom white dresses with incredible hat creations, very elegant and feminine. Fresh green, exuberant mood - perhaps due to the violet punch, which is strongly attributed here everywhere. On the table a huge vanilla pudding with many freshly picked raspberries, which exude a fine, sweet scent.
(I know this perfume doesn't contain vanilla, but that's my association.)

The atmosphere has something unreal, magical, lively, but also this exciting feeling that everything can happen here at any time. But whatever happens, I feel that of all the adventures I could experience now, I can always return to this cheerful place with the violet punch if I want to.

The EdT seems to me comparatively rather mainstream with its proven citrus chords and the equally proven red common berries. It may be more suitable for the beginning of spring. For it is more sparkling, cheekier, cooler, greener, more citric and fresher. The flowery-fruity EdP, on the other hand, can also survive well in summer. I have the impression, it gets along with fewer scent chords, which are however more complex defined. Maybe that's why I find it so inspiring, because it's not as loud and restless as the EdT. Somehow EdP has more substance for me, more depth. And a longer shelf life of course anyway.

Violets and raspberries dominate from the beginning. I don't notice any citric notes at all. Iris and orange blossom give the fragrance its typical powdery note, which immediately recognizes it everywhere, but are more in the background.
And the woods in the base note also only seem to underline the noble flowery-fruity sweetness that makes this perfume so attractive.

The fragrance has been described as something for a thoroughbred woman or for women who know what they want. That's not how I feel about Insolence, though. There are more than enough fragrances for self-confident women who know what they want. Most are more classic, strict, synthetic, abstract and dominant than the more cuddly, charming insolence.

And the thoroughbred? A beautiful sensuality is already present, and the fragrance is very feminine, but also has something elitist, eccentric. I therefore see the wearer more as a woman with a certain serenity, courageous enough to have retained her natural girlhood and still willing to explore fairy-tale worlds.

I can well imagine going through spring and summer with Insolence EdP next year.
My Violet
I must admit my nose does not perceive the entire fragrance composition in detail... I smell "only" violets, violets, violet pastilles, and that's exactly what I was looking for. Soft and gentle and simple for me exactly what I was looking for. The scent surrounds me from morning till evening and if it gets too sweet, I take a little "Nosa nobile" over it, that makes it a little fresher
BelAmi
Against the seriousness of life
In these times when my whole life is very serious, because of a bad news concerning my family or because a child in one of the countless phases of defiance or my unloved colleague has thought up something new, which is only for annoyance, I often go through the days with a perfume that strengthens my back. Serious and upstanding. A few months ago, on a very unserious day, I roamed the shops with the children. No rush, no worries, no defiance on the horizon. "Insolence" fell into my hands. The name is pretty much the opposite of my nature. But I like the bee flacons and the violet color of the contents. The scent was unknown to me until then. A sprayer on the hand. My 5-year-old daughter by return of post: sun cream! ...interesting association, even if the scent is miles away from sun creams I know. He smells like a colourful childhood to me. Violets and chewing gum (the colorful balls that used to be available for 10 Pfennig in the vending machine - for turning). Artificial. Fruity-powdery, not modern. It wouldn't be right if I said: a beautiful fragrance! No, this one doesn't want to be beautiful. He's not diplomatic, he's not reserved, he's not conformist. "Insolence doesn't want to be perfect. I think he's kind of weird. And I like him a lot.

I usually know berries in sweet. Isn't this one. Again and again I think: a funny smell (but I like to smell funny? No!). And weird (do I like to smell weird? I don't know...). In a statement to the EdT I read "Old lady with mini skirt and striped stockings makes raspberry chewing gum bubbles". Fits. Also to EdP. The sprayer on my wrist had also reached the jacket sleeve. The scent holds and holds and holds. Even after days, when I passed my jacket in the morning, I thought: what smells so good? Oh... "Insolence"! Interesting. Smells good with distance, very good. And yet, no, with this scent, I don't feel very well dressed. I'm not loud, not flashy, not weird. People like to call me in professionally when critical discussions are to be held or mediated. For years I have been surrounded by a cloud of perfume in my office, which is more serious - serious and reserved. And then came the day when an unloved colleague, who had been trying to make my life difficult for months, got on my nerves too much. And I thought to myself: Insolence, here you are right. You'll only beat that woman with your own weapons - in word and fragrance. She hasn't bothered me since. The words remain secret. The scent: exactly, "Insolence". The EdP (2017).

Privately, when I wear "Insolence", I have to smile inside. He delights me because he is so funny, crazy and at the same time so incredibly likeable and lovable. When it's grey in grey outside again for days or the children are impatient with me - then he conjures a smile into my heart. Just don't take things so seriously.

The shy violet dares
Violets are the first spring flowers: they seems like shy, humble, they remind to a discrete and just suggested feminity, they appear in the classic eaux de cologne and in historical scentes like Viletta di Parma and similar. I could associate the violet to the famous painting of the lady with the parasol and to White and pastel lace clothes.
But the violet contained in this wonderful creation by Guerlain is another thing: yes, sir, the shy violet became unhibited and very sexy with a strong character and and intoxicating effect.
I must confess that just a few months ago I didn't like so much this fragrance, because I 'm not a great violet scent lover. But something has recently changed smelling again this eau de parfum.
First of all I perceived the red berries scent, round and fruity, making me think of the good season, but immediately the main actress arrives: a strong violet note , vibrant like a soprano solo, intense, provocative, almost "insolent" , just like the scent name suggests.
This flowery and intoxicating note is harmonized in a warmer accord made of Woods and a quite gourmand tonka bean, lasting on the skin for many hours and revealing more and more a quite velvety and vanilla drydown.
A hymn to feminity, perfect to wear in the spring nights or in those cold first days of early spring.
The new but historical decorated bottle with the bees (the bee , "l'abeille", is the symbol of the Maison Guerlain) is a glass art masterpiece and gives a more precious character to this great classic of the contemporary perfumery. The price is obviously high, but I think that this one is a must have in a perfumes collection.
So, if the violet dares....dare the violet!

Confident Femininity
Insolence EDP's opening is a very powdery iris to my nose. And if sprayed heavily, it actually reminded me of iris in Shalimar Parfum Initial.

This extremely powdery phase lasted around 1 hour on me and then the violet becomes more and more clear, finally takes over the whole scent. It's sweet violet decorated by powdery iris and a small amount of red berries to give the flowers a kick.

Some perfumes sit close but maintain an intensity, like a velvet covered on skin, while some are like a fog surrounding the skin, but difficult to discern a shape, for exemple Kenzo Flower, and here, Insolence EDP.

The tonka beans and woodsy notes are subtle and the scent doesn't evolve too much while slowly fading away. The sillage is moderate on me and the longevity is at least 8 hours.

I tried it several times and honestly, during the first time, I liked it but was not impressed. However, the more I try, the more I like it. The name 'Insolence' is so well chosen for this series. The fragrance is sweet and well blended, but the same time it leaves out an unconstrainted confidence of its beauty. Definitely worths a try, though it'd better to prepare for its powdery texture.
Santalwalti
A clearing in the nearby forest...
As a child, I loved almost every fairy tale I read. I especially liked it when a fairy tale was read to me; probably it stimulated my imagination even more than I read it myself. Devotedly, I listened to my mother's voice and followed the pictures that were painted before my eyes, step by step, and immerse myself deeply in them. Soon it was difficult for me to distinguish between what I had heard and reality. If the fairy tale had been read out, I still stayed on winding forest paths, in royal houses, with princes and fairies and with the seven dwarves ...

The other day, when I sprayed on 'Insolence', the scent took me, like in a fairy tale, to another place and another reality. Early in the morning I was on a dirt road that led me to a nearby forest. My path was lined with bushes of wild, bluish red berries, which I picked and immediately disappeared into my mouth. But I wanted more of it, I wanted to collect it and bring it home. Attracted by the prospect of a much greater yield of fruit, I left the path and went deeper and deeper into the thicket. I was suddenly enchanted by the intense smell of the trees, the moist leaves and the wonderfully fragrant berries. Soon my bag was full to bursting and I could have made my way back. But I became curious and went deeper and deeper into this fragrant, colourful natural paradise. Then I reached a clearing and discovered a lush collection of blue violets and wild white-flowered irises near a moss meadow. The flowers wetted by the rain and gradually opening from the sun spread a wonderful aroma. Following a spontaneous impulse, I stretched out my hand, wanted to take some of these beauties with me, but at the last moment I pulled my hand back. Instead I sat down at the clearing, enjoyed the first rays of sunshine of that day and absorbed the bewitchingly fresh and balsamic-spicy smell of iris, violet, my berries and the surrounding conifers. Completely relaxed I closed my eyes and enjoyed the moment that seemed like a meditation, quiet and calming.

How long I stayed there, I don't know. At some point I remembered that I had taken an orange with me as food for my walk, which I now peeled devoutly and sniffed at before I ate it. Delicious, just delicious!

I was captivated by the perfectly harmonious mixture of the most wonderful aromas. A fairy-tale scent went up my nose. Even the paper in which I had stored the orange contributed its part to the fragrance life.

An unforgettable moment.
Insolence' - a wonderful, elegant, fruity, flowery and yet mysteriously papery fragrance! I don't know why this creation was called that, there's nothing cheeky about it. On the contrary, it brings about silence, harmony, peace and an inner joy.
Thank you, dear Aolani, for these magical moments in the forest....
Flowery soft lovely light
I thought I had to have this insolence after almost all comments reported positively about it. The same applies to the warning not to spray too much as otherwise a scent overkill will float around you. So I went to the store and bought a bottle, just to be on the safe side only 30 ml.

On my skin:
The first sprayer. Delicate berries lie down and light faint soft sweetness. Nothing else.
I'm a little confused, so I may have sprayed too little?
So, even more courageously sprayed. Still tender fine soft warm berries, nothing else.

About the Sillage: unfortunately only perceptible on my skin, unless I completely fog myself in and then only perceive for half an hour from a short distance.

Don't misunderstand, I like the scent. It is sweet, delicate, gently slightly sweet, but no olfactory experience on my skin.

Could it be that the EDP of 2017 is only a copy of what it used to be?
Fell into the barrel
With Insolence it's like with Obelix: You press the spray button very carefully, krawummm, and in the next few hours you'll have to say bashfully "Sorry, I fell in there as a child". And somehow it fits to the magic potion, because Insolence is a fragrance that gets along completely without the person that goes with it. It's happened several times: I get into an office elevator in a high-rise building in the Parisian banking district, krawumm, there's a cloud of Insolence in it. All alone. Or I march along a platform, halfway down the platform I encounter insolence, completely detached. Where the fuck is the lady with it? Disappeared into thin air? I see Insolence as a cloud at least once a day in Paris, in Cannes, recently even in Tel Aviv. Never in Germany. This crazy mixture of violets, hairspray and raspberry pudding is rather nothing for a country that is dedicated to the hard nose bat and the huchen beetle. Insolence is a perfume for self-confident women who don't care what you think of them. Of course I have it too, but I never wear it in Germany. I'm too much of a coward, really.

Hovering in happy land
I found a new favorite (well, knew to me). Insolence beamed me right up to heaven with the first spray, and I am still hovering up in happy land. I am not even a fan of flowery fragrances, but this is so awesome, it will be one of my top 10 favorites. I think the berry aspect is what makes this floral frag so great. Guerlain and Jil Sander are my favorite perfume houses, and with my new discovery of Insolence (I own the purple juice), I must say that this is after Shalimar EDP my second favorite Guerlain beauty. The more scents I discover, the more ferocious I become when it comes to my love for fragrances. I don't know what else to say, except that for me this lady is perfection through and through.

Brambles and Berries
I spent some time wearing Apres L'Ondee, L'Heure Bleu and Insolence to find that rainbow connection to LHB, but my system records the overall similarity to be most akin to Apres L'Ondee. I've even taken to wearing one single puff of Insolence EDP to the cleavage with Apres L'Ondee behind the ears, some sprayed into my hair, which acts as a good fixative, diffuser. Hawthorn comes through, the scent of the hedgerow, and you know that nobody within miles is wearing the same fragrance. Tomorrow, however, I won't have the fortitude to wear it again; these Guerlain fragrances are challenging, as many have noted. The fact that I can successfully layer Apres L'Ondee with Insolence EDP allows me to enjoy both fragrances a great deal more, toning down the strident Insolence and adding berries to the wistful wonderland that is Apres L O. If we stop to think about it, berries are a natural fit with the Ode to Spring, so thanks to Maurice Roucel, I have found another brambled path in which to enjoy a classic Guerlain

EurochicEurochic 8 months ago
Violets on steroids.
It’s impossible not to be noticed when wearing Insolence EDP.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 18 months ago
The shy violet becomes uninhibited and very sexy, with fruity touches and a woarm base. The sillage is fantastic and strong. Precious bottle

by IrisNobile
by Florblanca
by Dagi78
by Dagi78

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain