Iris Ganache (2007)

Iris Ganache by Guerlain

Iris Ganache is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and men and was released in 2007. The scent is powdery-floral. The longevity is above-average. It was last marketed by LVMH.

Thierry Wasser

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, White chocolate, Cinnamon
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Patchouli, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Vanilla, White musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 02.10.2019

This fragrance is part of the "L'Art et la Matière" collection.

8.0 8.0 8.0 7.5/10

Melted Iris
Slightly medical start, very pleasant between plaster and ointment and liquorice. Then it gets round and tasty, approaching more and more irises in melted light chocolate. Tender to melt. All in all, it is a little too round for me, even vanilla-sweet, a little too soft, too smooth, too gourmandig, but extremely beautifully made and with the light green sprinkles a real pleasure to test. And the gourmand powderiness already has a very noble seductive charm. So: complaining at the very highest level and pure matter of taste. Said the monkey and bit the soap.
9.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

DonJuanDeCat
If you want to smell as soft as a cat!
Have a nice evening and a great 1st Advent! :)
In the last three days I had only introduced moderate fragrances and thought that I could comment on a much more beautiful fragrance today. But what could I tell you about this time?

Let's see... here I sit now, look at my Christmas tree, which I have finally decorated, then look at my cat, who looks at the balls on the tree and probably asks himself how he could possibly get to them to roll them through the area and (once again) realize how soft and cuddly such little animals look and can be.

Which again leads me to this fragrance here, because this Guerlain fragrance is an iris fragrance and this fragrance is mostly perceived as very pleasantly soft and powdery with flowery sweetness. In addition, it states that vanilla and chocolate are also included, which also usually leads to an even more pleasant perception. In short, the fragrance reads from its scents as if it were as soft and pleasant as the coat of a cat :)

The scents even sound quite delicious. But I can't say the same for the hangover. He was just sitting in front of me, I stubbed his nose with my nose, then I stroked his head and then suddenly he had to yawn. And well... the smell of his yawn is... oh, let's not mention that :D
So rather hurry back to this scent here!

The fragrance:
The fragrance begins with intense vanilla and also strong iris. Both fragrances provide for a gentle, powdery and slightly sweet fragrance, which smells very good and makes you smile the first time you notice it, because it looks so nice. In the background there seem to be light, flowery notes, and in the first seconds I had to think of liqueur when spraying it on.
The white chocolate takes its time, afterwards it actually has a chocolaty scent, but first of all it's not so intense (or mixes too fast with the vanilla, so that the scent appears "generally sweet" if you don't concentrate on it) and secondly it's hard to tell if it really smells like white chocolate. But it's just chocolaty, and so the scent is delicious and great :)
A little later the iris becomes quite strong. In the fragrance the vanilla is still the strongest fragrance, but right after it comes the iris, which as always has this very beautiful powdery and here even a slightly creamy aura. A little bit later the iris becomes even stronger, so that it becomes as strong as the vanilla and you can smell the iris from time to time and the vanilla from time to time.
Much later it actually smells as already described. The only difference is that the iris will wear off over time and the vanilla will smell a little more intense. But much later the fragrance starts to smell a little more flowery and heavy, in a slightly sultry way, but not as bad as e.g. some violent ylang-ylang fragrances, because the soft fragrances soften the sultriness a little bit, so that it stays good smelling, but the fragrance then looks a bit more mature. I personally could have done without these somewhat muggier floral notes, but that's not so bad now and I also think that you ladies won't mind that much. All in all a very beautiful fragrance.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
In the beginning, the charisma is more subtle, but over time it gets a little better when the fragrance unfolds better. It does not become a firecracker and is therefore not necessarily very room-filling, but at normal distance or when walking past it could be noticed well.
The shelf life is quite good, as it can be smelt for more than twelve hours.

The bottle:
The bottle is rectangular, narrow and high. It is of very high quality, which is immediately noticeable when handling the flacon. One of the side walls consists of a gold plaque showing the name of the fragrance and the logo. Normally these flacons used to come with an atomizer or pump ball, but unfortunately they are no longer included. That's a bit unfortunate, because the bottle looks a bit simpler without the pump ball. The advantage, however, is that a simple spray head is also easier to use. All in all a beautiful bottle!

Soo, as if I hadn't already guessed it, this fragrance has turned out wonderfully. He is gentle, he smells good, he has a sufficiently good Sillage, he has beautiful fragrances and he is like a cat. Well... for the last point you have to have a little imagination, but the fragrance is soft and beautiful in any case! Somehow he's got something from Prada's also very excellent Infusion d'Iris.
All right, the later base here at the Guerlain is a little heavier flowery. But I don't find that so bad here, because the more beautiful scents predominate. And this aversion to heavy and sultry flowery scents mostly only affects me, so I think most of you ladies should really like the scent.

Aaaah yeah... as a guy I could imagine such a fragrance in your ladies. But now you should tell me how you ladies find gentle scents e.g. with iris in guys, because the scent is finally indicated as unisex :D
However, I find the fragrance quite feminine myself, because that's how many iris fragrances with soft and soft notes are. Sure, there are exceptions, like Dior Homme, which also contains Iris, but here with this fragrance you will notice right from the first spray that the fragrance is actually a pure women's fragrance.

Apart from that, cats are more associated with ladies than with guys, isn't that right? Just think of Catwoman DD... where... there is also a super villain called Cat-Man... ufff...!! Anyway, I'm digressing too much again. But I'm telling you: You must have tried this fragrance, it smells very nice and could really please many of you. And it's usable almost like an all-rounder, maybe not in midsummer, but spring, autumn and winter always go, on various occasions, whether job, in the spare time, to cuddle (oohhh that in any case! :D) or in the evening or when going out! It should always arrive well and look great! :)

Well, go and try it. It's a shame that it belongs to the more expensive fragrances, but as an alternative you could also try Prada's Infusion d'Iris, where Prada's fragrance unfortunately has a low sillage, but later doesn't get any slightly sultry-floral notes either.

So that's it, then. Have a nice evening! :)
10.0 7.5 10.0 10.0/10

CuteChemist
The fragrance love of my life!
It's hard to put into words how I feel about this perfume. It's magical. I am sooo lucky to have obtained a bottle (and one more on the way! Yippeee!) of this gem. I never realized I was an iris lover until this beauty came my way. At first it's fresh, with a dash of bergamot, but the iris appears right out of the gate. The perfume settles slightly into a very lovely, feminine, bright iris. I don't really get any cinnamon, but then again I haven't really looked for it. When that intoxicating iris eventually leaves it's a little sad, but then the beautiful drydown leaves you wanting more. It's a soft, powdery, sweet, white chocolate and vanilla confection bordering on gourmand but still classic and lovely, as only Guerlain can do. I feel so feminine, sexy, and classy wearing this scent, and it has just enough vanillic sweetness to satisfy my sweet tooth. To me it's utter perfection, and were it not for the outrageous price and unicorn-like availability, I would have to consider this my signature.

sweet iris
I was lucky to buy a decant, as this perfume is discontinued and difficult to find (although it was expensive and hard to find in these parts anyway).

The top notes remind me of vintage face powder or lipstick. Cinnamon can easily annoy me in a perfume, but I did not notice it much here. The fragrance develops into a decadent white chocolate bark coated-iris. This is in the same vein of Loukhoum eau Poudree, but Iris Ganache is smoother and sweeter. Vanilla in the drydown keeps this sweets train going.

I can see why there is such a following for this as it is certainly "delicious", but I am content with my little vial.
5.0 7.5 7.0/10

Coutureguru
Different enough to intrigue ...
I like Iris ... I really do! Guerlain's Iris Ganache is definitely 'up there' in my estimation of fragrances based around this note.

The Iris here is not of the root variety (Orris) ... at least to my nose. There is a luminosity present ... a 'silveriness' is probably the best way to describe it, which doesn't feature in Orris-bound fragrances, like Opus V by Amouage. Now, I'm not sure if Orris and Iris are the same thing. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the scent of Iris always comes from the roots ... so I may be wrong in my estimation here. Nevertheless, Iris Ganache displays a lovely lightness, at least for the first half hour of its skin life. Into the dry down, a rather moribund Patchouli settles in, saved only from imminent death by a sweet Van/Amber to give it a little CPR. I'm really not sure the Patch was necessary here ... but I suppose it does add to the longevity of this fragrance, which is reasonably substantial. I assume that White Chocolate was added to provide a sort of 'sweet milkiness', but It doesn't feature on my skin. Suffice it to say ... there is a smoothness in this one, a testament to good blending and the use of high quality raw materials.
I've seen Iris Ganache compared to 1889 Moulin Rouge by Histoires de Parfums. Yes ... I can see certain parallels ... they both contain hard hitting similarities as far as notes go. Patchouli, Cinnamon, Vanilla and Iris tend to be strong competitors when housed in the same bottle ... what Iris Ganache lacks imho, is the evocative nature of Moulin Rouge.
While this fragrance is marketed at the fairer sex, I certainly wouldn't discount it as something the guys could successfully wear, as long as one enjoys fragrances that are on the sweeter side. This effort by Thierry Wasser stays well enough away from the 'saccharine' to be considered unisex.

Would I wear Iris Ganache? Definitely! Am I willing to sell an organ for it? No ... the ludicrous asking price for these Guerlain exclusives is tragic! I would, however, enjoy a small decant of this one :) ... that would be plenty! I understand that this offering is now officially discontinued ... best I track some down before it's all gone!
5.0 7.5 8.0/10

A Childhood Scent Memory
I chose Iris Ganache to wear during the month following my father's passing peacefully at a ripe age. Iris was suggested to me for mourning, and I wanted something not from my regular wardrobe, so I purchased a 5 ml decant.

Iris is my favorite flower and one from the border around my childhood home, making it most appropriate for memorializing my dad. I love how bearded iris are big, blowsy, ruffly blooms offset by that spiky grey-green foliage, and as a small child those tall blooms came right up to my nose, so the smell is evocative. Iris Ganache faithfully captures that smell, or, if it doesn't, it certainly evokes that scent memory. The white chocolate is secondary. It was a good choice for a special purpose, I'll probably wear it again on his birthday.
7.5 10.0 4.0/10

Cloyingly Sweet Plastic Iris
Guerlain IRIS GANACHE is a close cousin to INSOLENCE, with all that that implies. Basically, if you like the METEORITES opening of INSOLENCE, which morphs into a sweet plastic iris, then you'll like IRIS GANACHE too.

I love METEORITES, but I cannot wear INSOLENCE. I had thought that it was the plastic raspberries, but now, by process of elimination I have deduced that what I find repellent in both INSOLENCE and IRIS GANACHE is the combination of plastic iris with cloying sweetness. In the case of INSOLENCE, the sweetness comes from raspberry; in the case if IRIS GANACHE, the note is white chocolate. Both of these fragrances seem more like something that I would have expected from the house of Calvin Klein than from Guerlain. I have no desire even to finish my sample vial. Désolée!
7.5 7.0/10

Chrisantiss
The roots of an Iris carrying something
Yes, this is Iris as seen from below. There where you can hear it grow when you put your ear to the grass on the ground.
Orris at its best with bag and baggage. Especially with dirt and smashed worms. There is a bed of carrots right next to it and the the and the scenting fumes mingle harmoniously.
But I do not want to exaggerate or to diss.
No doubt, it is nice, but I am glad at the same time, that I do not feel forced to buy yet antother scent.
Iris Ganache does't have a lot in common with other Iris scents, but don't worry, it still remains an Iris scent.
But there is so many other stuff in this perfume and you can smell it.
Mainly patchouli and presumably the amber too. Both are notes that do not count to my favorites.
The earthiness and bitterness are probably due to the patchouli. But I also rejoice in perceiving white chocolate and vanilla so that the fragrance ranges between tart-earthy and soft-sweet.
Sometimes I get the impression of a medical note.
Cedar does noticeably play an important role as well.
Concerning the powdery flavour there is a very small resemblance with L'Instant Magic.
And somehow I smell btter almond too.
Summed up: tart, woody, sweet, soft, creamy, floral, powdery, bitter, smooth.
For sure it is extraordinary and has a fascinating development which probably depends on one' personal dermal chemistry.
The aura is beautifully powdery but accoording to my taste added with a note that is too bitter.

(translation: Eternity)

Lexa 66 days ago
Iris and white chocolate.Very refined,great quality.I don't find it sweet to be gourmand,just a beautiful musky iris dipped in chocolate.+1

by Marta
Guerlain bringt die Saiten der Gitarre zum Klingen...
by Allein
by Allein
by Chanelle
by Chanelle

Popular Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Jicky (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain