Jardins de Bagatelle (1993) Eau de Parfum

Jardins de Bagatelle (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain

Jardins de Bagatelle (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 1993. The scent is floral-green. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Violet, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesNeroli, Jasmine, Gardenia, Lily-of-the-valley, Magnolia, Narcissus, Orchid, Rose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesTuberose, Musk, Patchouli, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 22.10.2019

In the Golden Afternoon with Alice
To my nose this perfume is most like 'The Fragrance' by Bill Blass; it is however a superior version and less cloying. The jasmine in it is very similar to Badgely Mischa's "Fleurs de Nuit"

I purchased this perfume to round out my Guerlain classic collection, with a flickering hope of a Tuberose dominant perfume that I might enjoy. There is a masculine undertow in JdB that I revel in, girlie white florals are not my bag, but Annick Goutal's "Songes" (Dreams) is one that I reach for often, so this proves I can have my head turned by a Southern Belle fragrance.

I bought JdB in EDP form at a very good price from an online discounter, and wouldn't have paid boutique prices for it. Some have compared it to Estee's "Beautiful' and YSL's "Paris" but I will point to a more refined version of Vanderbilt and Bill Blass. Heady White floral with a sandalwood masculine base.
9.0 9.0 10.0/10

Bodacious Floral
I LOVE being wrong when the result is discovery of something splendid. Here I was, ready to form a negative opinion of the House of Guerlain, and yesterday I find myself at a Guerlain counter with money I didn't know I'd have. I could have bought shoes, clothes, scarves, earrings, any number of things, but I am a hopeless perfumista, besotted with scent. Since I'm studying Guerlain for a sniff fest, I went straight to the Guerlain counter and started sniffing, only to be surprised, then bewildered, then LOST in scent after scent. And I mean the kind of scents that cause moaning. This is certainly one. I take my hat off to Jean-Paul Guerlain, to have been treated so cruelly for a mere slip of the tongue, after creating THIS! What a genius. He knew exactly and precisely what to do with Lily-of-the-valley and Narcissus, notes that on their own I can't stand: add them after gathering all the flowers in the garden that would be nauseously sweet without these two. This fragrance is a take-your-breath-away powerhouse, for me an instant love, that becomes more lovely as it dries. I didn't expect the floral middle or alluring base to equal the top's first blast, which practically made me faint, but they do. Beauty flows from every stage of this perfume--not the pretty, pretty sort but the grand take-no-prisoners kind found smiling from behind opulent masks at masquerade balls, found showing leg while climbing into Bentleys, found dropping tears on a perfect cheek at Puccini operas. I adore this perfume...adore, adore it! Just sprayed it all over my neck, hands and arms to celebrate being alive to go downstairs, heat delicious leftovers for dinner and pour a glass of good wine. Be as elitist as you want, Jean-Paul. We all have faults, but I worship at your feet for creating this.

p.s. This review is for the EdT, which doesn't have a separate entry in our database.
7.5 7.5 10.0 8.0/10

An Obscure Guerlain With A Floral Punch
It is said that Jean-Paul Guerlain got his inspiration for Jardins de Bagatelle from the garden of the same name located on the edge of the Bois de Bologne in Paris. Jardins de Bagatelle in Paris is the garden known to Parisians for the (over) 700 different species of roses.
So, is this a rose garden in a bottle? Does it smell strong or is this a well behaved close to the skin Lady? Well, when he created this in 1983 it was the decade of modern decadence in perfumery, everything was loud and heavy, no serene, demure fragrance, no, rather strong and powerful scents that greeted you with a big embrace and still said goodbye long after the wearer was gone.
Too much? Perhaps, but, I have a penchant for certain 80s scents and this character trade is loveable in many of them, true, it's not everyones cup of tea, but I think that there is a time and a place were most of us want a scent that makes a big statement, where we are fatigued of 'working floor demure scents' and 'hardly there close to the skin apparitions of smell'.
With that in mind I can say that JdB is a true 80s floral. A powerhouse that needs the right people to love it and the right place to shine:

Loud gardenia and tuberoses drenched in violets open up on my skin after the first spray, this is the moment you know if your hand was heavy, too much and you might feel overwhelmed, just enough and you are surrounded with a scent that reminds me of evenings in Paris where Maxime's was in full swing and the place to be; and perfumes were heavy and intoxicating.
In the distance a blooming magnolia note accompanied by a stubborn jasmine that is (at least on my skin) flirting with a cedar note. Then, a soapy neroli note comes and adds to the sultry and powdery dry-down that changes the vibe of JdB into something reminiscent of an older classic: Houbigant's Quelques Fleurs (my grandmothers favourite.) The vibe of JdB will change throughout the whole time it's on your skin. It is a chameleon of moods and somehow seems to 'rearrange' its notes. It's quite odd yet never boring!

Do I love this? Yes, when in the right mood this modern classic is one of a kind and a hothouse of precious florals. Luxurious, rich and a 'love me or hate me scent'. A unique and quite obscure Guerlain and a must sniff for all who like scents in the vein of: Fraca's, Quelques Fleurs and white florals mixed with roses in general.

Silage is: "I am here, but, you knew that already". -- Longevity is a good 10+ hours.

The perfect original scent for a night out in a big city where you don't want to be drowned out. This Parisian garden will bloom best on your skin during the colder months. Try it and smell a not so well behaved Parisian lady who likes to upstage the other guests and leaves a trail of white florals with a musky PS when she leaves. Enjoy! : )
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Glorious white floral with so many interesting facets
Jardins de Bagatelle appears to be the perfect white floral, and indeed it has been composed well.

This fragrance opens with a rich, powdery bouquet of jasmine, tuberose, gardenia, white rose and lily of the valley. It's all innocent, creamy and beautiful.

I was delighting in this fragrance for quite some time, appreciating the beauty of a well-done white floral but also knowing that I'd never wear it in my youthful years, due to its refined and classic appeal. Jardins de Bagatelle is a far better representation of white florals than Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors, Kai or Annick Goutal's Gardenia Passion.

I was ready to place this fragrance in the category of some of the best florals I've had the privilege to smell, when I noted a strong, dry vetiver accord that didn't mesh well with my chemistry.

Unfortunately all that flowery creaminess had vanished, leaving me with a masculine, soapy and unremarkable vetiver and musk blend. For some they have been able to smell the patchouli, violet and rich woods, however it looks like I got the bad end of the stick.

Despite the drydown being a drawback, the moments leading up to it was absolutely, exquisitely beautiful. The way I see it, although I can not wear this fragrance myself, I will certainly appreciate it on those who can.
7.5 10.0 10.0 8.0/10

A Floral Sonata
Guerlain's JARDINS DE BAGATELLE is an extraordinary perfume, constructed like a sonata, with three very distinct movements. To wear this edp is to go on a journey.

I am greeted by a pleasing floral aldehyde opening. I find myself walking through a sunny field of flowers that continue to increase in variety and number as a proceed. Suddenly I find myself entirely covered by flowers of every color and shape!

Just when I think that I may succumb, dive into a thick blanket of velvety leaves, the flowers begin to depart, one by one, leaving at the end a deep layer of vetiver, cedar, and neroli, with a touch of patchouli and musk. This darker chypre-like layer stays with me for hours, while the memory of the florals lightly lingers behind.

To my nose, JARDINS DE BAGATELLE unfolds as three distinct but harmoniously related perfumes. The plural is correct: gardens. I would classify this as:

part 1: floral aldehyde
part 2: floral
part 3: floral chypre

Arlufkin 35 days ago
I purchased recently in the bee bottle. It has very poor longevity. The earlier bottles that I possess last all day.
6.0
Jazzy76 64 days ago
A Must Have classic masterpiece. A symphony of flowery notes with an aldhehidic touch for a great performance and a strong sillage.Lovely
9.0
ScentedSalon 20 months ago
Great reformulation: bright and fresh, very true to the original. Much recommended.+1

Un nouveau jour commence - avec Guerlain Jardins de Bagatelle
by DemonHead
by DemonHead
by Coriolon
by Coriolon
Stillleben mit Kirschen und Pfirsichen - Paul Cézanne - erster Teil der Stillleben-Trilogie
by MadameLegras
by Tandi
by IndianSummer
by IndianSummer

Popular Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Jicky (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain