L'Heure Bleue Eau de Parfum

L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain
Bottle Design Raymond Guerlain

Top 16 in Women's Perfume
L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women. The release year is unknown. The scent is powdery-floral. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesAniseed, Bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Neroli
Base Notes Base NotesIris, Violet, Vanilla, Benzoin, Tonka bean

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 30.06.2020.

Grenouille8
Much more than a blue hour
A masterpiece. I really looked for other words, but couldn't find anything more fitting. Basically, L'Heure Bleue is the perfect fragrance. Harmonious, round, deep, multi-faceted, highly individual, distinctive, exquisite, weightless and yet heavy, soft and strong at the same time. It is simply Guerlain. Learned is learned. A guarantee for guarantee. Especially the classics. I first came into contact with this fragrance about 18 years ago. And I can still remember the situation almost exactly. It was the time when I began to discover my enthusiasm for Guerlain. All those stories. To almost every single perfume an own inspiration. So much tradition and history to discover. Mine, precisely. So of course I was especially interested in the old perfumes. From the hands of the greatest masters. And logically, there's no getting around L'Heure Bleue. I wanted to find "my" Guerlain fragrance and described it to the expert as it should be. What's important to me and what I like. Heavy, tending to be dark, full, with a touch of oriental, deep, long-lasting... She didn't have to think long and reached for a bottle. "This is it. Her scent". She was right. One breath was enough. I felt something velvety falling heavily upon me. It enveloped me. At that time I was still worried about how women's and men's fragrances were. Oh dear. This is a woman's perfume. There's no doubt about it. What am I doing? But it's mine. Fortunately, the desire was stronger and I adopted it despite some reservations about whether I "may" wear it as a man. Of course I can. Because now I know that you can't define a gender by a scent. There are still some notes that I would tend to assign more to women or men, but that doesn't mean that they can't both wear it. Basically, our perception today is probably mainly the result of marketing, and we have learned and accepted it that way. In its origin, however, fragrances were not really assigned to gender. Another example are real Arabic, oriental fragrances, i.e. those that can be bought on the net or directly in Arabic countries. There are many fragrances that are meant for men, completely untypical of what is sold to us here in the West as a male fragrance. But anyway - everyone has to decide for himself anyway. In the end it always depends on the individual wearer and the respective fragrance. And it's exciting when, for example, a very feminine woman wears a tart scent and a distinctive man wears a perfume with a certain sweetness or floral quality. It simply has to fit. And then the supposedly unsuitable scent even underlines the man's masculinity or the woman's femininity. Now back to L'Heure Bleue. Here it was just like this. Of course, the scent is anything but what we understand by a men's scent in our country. But I immediately recognized the potential, the complexity of this composition. I knew that this fragrance had a development, that it would bring out very different facets, and above all that it would connect with its wearer. This fragrance is a real signature. And that's why it also underlines a masculine personality. By the way, I feel this way with most of the older, great classic fragrances. Everyone now knows what the inspiration for this fragrance was, which was created in 1912. The hour when the sun has set, but night has not yet fallen. And yes. One might think that L'Heure Bleue perfectly captures this magical moment of the day. But of course it is an imagination, as inspiration is. A beautiful one, admittedly. But L'Heure Bleue is much more than that, because every wearer can of course give this fragrance their own interpretation. So I associate with this fragrance, apart from its magical aura, its heavy softness, its enveloping nature, a very special darkness, a certain melancholy and lascivious, intoxicating sensuality. But all this always with style and class. French. And despite the partly powdery softness of the fragrance, for me it also possesses great strength and angularity. It is complex and multi-layered. Above all, you have to learn this fragrance, get familiar with it. The more you deal with it, give it time and space, the more you will discover. It's worth it.

Life starts at dusk
L'Heure Bleue - the blue hour - was born in 1912 by the hands and nose of Jacques Guerlain. The era was pre-war, the impressionist age, the crazy years, and the industrial revolution with its bourgeoisie starting the revelry in the blue hour... the dusk. It is a floral oriental fragrance with the dusky scent of candies and almond cake (by the strong heliotrope) bought in an old world apothecary (due to its powdery accord).
Of the fantastic feminine trio that I have labeled as minimally unisex - Shalimar, Jicky and L'Heure Bleue - the latter is the one with a less masculine facet.
The opening presents us with an anise licorice, too fleeting for my will, and that surrenders to the somewhat intense florals, with emphasis on the iris and violet (with its characteristic powder), the heliotrope (smelling like almond and vanilla) and for the clove (with a clove like spicy scent). The spices are in the background - cloves, cinnamon and tonka - rounding off the sweetness of the florals. Sandalwood, benzoin and vanilla stand out later, and ensure the long and pleasant drydown, leaving the fragrance more unisex.
The performance is quite generous. Three spays are good enough for ten hours, with a sillage up to six feet and close to three hours of projection.
I have used this perfumein the middle of a group of people several times . I aroused some curiosity and heard comments about wearing an elegant perfume that stood out among the reigning masculine ambroxan. I confess that I was always very pleased with the choice of using L'Heure Bleue.
In a woman, this perfume invariably draws everyone's attention for its oriental warmth, and spices charm framing the floral notes.
It is a true masterpiece.

How can I measure this twilight scent?
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Opening: 8.5 (semi fresh sweet opening withe anise and florals)
- DryDown: 9.5 (long, more unisex bottom and drydown, with sweet spices and sandalwood)
- Longevity: 9.0 (3 sprays can last up to 10 hours)
- Sillage: 8.0 (up to 6 feet with 3 sprays; it projects for 3.0 hours)
- Uniqueness: 9.5 (It has its own individuality that has been sustained for more than 100 years now. I don't recall any similar fragrance besides its flankers, the older Après L'Ondée also by Guerlain, and, in a lesser degree, Esprit d'Oscar by Oscar de la Renta)
- Wearability: 9.0 (Almost a four seasons fragrance for outdoors or indoors, day or night; avoid the hot summer days)
- Versatility: 8.5 (A compelling oriental near unisex fragrance; excellent for wide number of occasions even if its class and sensuality demand formal events, and intimacy only if used by a woman. Don't use it in the gym or in the beach)
- Compliments: 8.5 (You will smell very good to everybody, and people will admire you; My classification reflects the average of 8.0 for aman and 9.0 for a woman)
- Quality: 10.0 (well above-average quality ingredients, good flask, nice sprayer; handy refill bottles)
- Presentation: 9.0 (very good presentation in my opinion, although very feminine... but it is a feminine fragrance after all)
- Price: 8.0 (EdP 75 ml non tester for € 55.00 + shipping)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Overall rating: 8.86 / 10.00
- between 7 and 8 = above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recommended;
- greater than 9 = do not miss;

Recommendation: This is a fragrance landmark, more feminine than masculine. I do recommend it for ladies. I can only recommend it for men after testing it and never as blind buy.

Music: Charles Aznavour - "Que C´Est Triste Venise"

Lavé en bleu/blue inked
Come with me and sit with me. It's time! It does not take long, but it feels like eternity. The moment when the day dies and the night is born. The short moment when the sun begins to sink and caresses the horizon like a last kiss. The sky becomes a canvas of colours. Like a running watercolor. Bitter thoughts like those of anise fly through the picture in dark swarms of passing birds, like a biting pain from stinging neroli. Thoughts circle like black rags in the distance. Torn clouds in delicate powder tones of blue-violet violet and iris adorn the firmament like a relief of finest marble. In the silence you can hear them coming softly. The melancholy! A bitter-sweet pain deep inside of me. Slowly the sun begins to melt like molten resin of benzoin on the horizon. The sky seems to be bleeding out in the spiciest colours of cloves. Disappearing, warm light in orange tonka and delicate, pastel vanilla. Warm my heart. I can hear my heartbeat. Or is it yours? In that one moment when the infinite horizon has finally brought the sun to itself and the sky is painted blue, you can slowly see it. Soft glittering tears of stars. Here comes her time! Br />
L'Heure Bleue
The death of the day and the birth of the night. Doom and resurrection. Deepest magic lies within this hour. Bitter notes of aniseed and neroli are gradually replaced by powdery tones of iris and violet, flowing together with spicy floral notes of carnation and tonka, until finally, with delicate brushstrokes of a soft-dry vanilla, they become a watercolour of cool-warm tones, like a pastel and infinite horizon. Sweet melancholy and delicate melancholy characterize it. It requires her right mood and disposition to wear it. It is an extremely sensitive perfume which does not only stay on the skin. It may go deeper than some people would like, if you are brave and sensitive enough to allow it to happen. And when you are,.....it whitewashes the soul in deep,sad-beautiful blue!

With the wings of time the sadness flies away!
- Jean de La Fontaine -
What doesn't kill you..
etc. usf. blabla.

I hate that proverb.

No matter which stroke of fate befalls you, there is always a pithy or pitiful one coming from somewhere: "What doesn't kill you etc. usf. blabla."
Knee open, abandoned by friend, pet or relative dead, house burned down, cancer survived or Hartz4 after a life of hard work: "What doesn't kill you etc. usf. blabla."

I need two fragrances to smell, feel and recognize why I hate this miserable saying so much.
One is "L'Heure de Nuit" - the other "L'Heure Bleue".
There should be a third one to complete the picture, but I haven't found it yet.

A life, a woman's life in fragrance I have here in bottlings in front of me.

The one, the fragrance not yet found, is a girl, a child.
Still untouched by deep pain and sorrow, it looks in wonder at the world, sees magic and miracles everywhere, believes in the goodness in everything, has deep trust in itself and everything around it. Nothing dark that cannot be driven away, evil only exists in fairy tales. She is full of tenderness and joy. The world is good, beautiful, full of fairies and butterflies.

L'Heure de Nuit is a woman, not quite young anymore, not old yet, a mother with small children. She has already seen evil, suffered injuries and even inflicted them, cried, suffered, was at the end of her strength, has picked herself up again. She hasn't had time to hunt butterflies, look for fairies or see where the rainbow starts for a long time.
But your children bring back the spell. Not always, but sometimes, when she sees autumn leaves or snowflakes falling with them, admires earthworms, listens to the wind or observes clouds, she can laugh again like a child, rejoice full of innocence. Then she is tender, soft and loving.

L'Heure Bleue is the same woman, the same girl, years later. After many wounds and strokes of fate, miracles and trust have finally disappeared. It is only the wind that rustles in the trees, butterflies die in autumn and a rainbow is light broken into drops of water. People are not always good, caution is better than looking back. Behind every smile waits a tear. She still sees the beauty, but can't feel it anymore. She can remember that she could see fairies, but she can no longer find them, can no longer believe them.

L'Heure Bleue has often been described as "melancholic" in the commentaries. That's not deep enough for me.
He is deeply sad, a reminder of what once was and what it will never be like again. Lost innocence, deep scars, never completely healed. He remembers the girl from that time and can never be again.

Yes, we mature and grow on our experience, but at what price?
I think "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger" is just wrong.

Correctly, it should read, "What doesn't kill us, lets a piece of us die every time."
Maurise
Melancholy at the blue hour
The much too hot and arid summer is coming to an end, just as everything is finally coming to an end on this confused grotesquely cold world, but the cold, the envy, the resentment, the hatred, the unfriendliness, the greed and the egoism among the people, who have visibly become our everyday life, is and remains infinite. I don't recognize this world.
I'm standing here under an autumn tree, shaken and tormented by icy north winds, with golden shimmering leaves raining down on me... a gentle golden autumnal slumber... Taking a deep breath from you, I turn my gaze towards the horizon and let dark, heavy clouds float along my field of vision, decorated and interwoven with fine, light, cobweb-like marbling, and I cannot really believe that such colossally gloomy, heavy, large clouds have chosen the infinity of heaven as their home of freedom; while I am here thinking of you, losing my thoughts in the rain of leaves under this tree, standing on a small spot of earth, I see my soul lingering..i wish you could hear me now, ...i count seconds, minutes that become hours, days, years and are coming to an end, and a barely noticeable cheerful smile around the corners of my mouth makes me suspect that i have grown fond of this count...i who would never have been able to fathom the meaning of numbers and numbers. You should see me, well, ...and I count...one, two, three...I'm close to you...drowning in deep blue......

The blue loving hour
"L'Heure Bleue" - The Blue Hour ... Neither time nor a scent can be blue.
However, this perfume has neither time nor haste. It is a timeless fragrance to enjoy from the moment of the first spray, till the exhaust of the extraodinary aroma.
I've never been in love with carnations. Neither the flower nor its scent. And yet, without the strong note of carnation, this Hour ran the risk of not being so Blue. The fresh, aniseed start soon gives way to the magnificent floral feminine heart. The spicy scent of carnation - similar to Indian cloves - is refreshed and sweetened with the soft neroli with orange facets.
I believe that now a bit of masculinity and sweetness is needed. This is achieved first with a powdery iris, some violet and tonka, and then further enhancing the sweetness with an oriental, slightly resinous and balsamic vanilla.
It is the scent of a calm and deep love, the love of a life.
I love to visit the "L'Heure Bleue" from time to time. And on each visit, I promise to return.
What is the concentration? Eau de Parfum, of course!
Hourly time
"Harder days are coming.
The time deferred on revocation
becomes visible on the horizon."

They are two works of the great Jacques Guerlain, which almost force me to deal with temporality:
L´Heure Bleu and Mitsouko. L´Heure Bleu is the crueller of the two, because it lets me feel what time means as it passes. It is completely oriented towards the present, but knows that the clock is ticking.
Mitsouko has overcome the suffering of transience. Mitsouko's done. Brittle and immortally beautiful, lies down on her bitter, mossy bed, a handful of overripe dry apricots in her arms and lets her youth race.

Although physicists and philosophers alike bite their teeth at explaining time, language knows time in all its beautiful and terrible qualities: When time flies by, disappears between the fingers or seems to stand still, language depicts time. Even the greatest of all monstrosities can illustrate it briefly and aptly: That my time would run out one day. Tick-tock.

Already in childhood there were these approaches of introverted, dreamy melancholy when the last rays of sunlight of the day filled with light fell through the kitchen window, while the night drew up on the horizon and the clock on the wall with its relentless tick-tock announced change. The twilight blue-tinted passage of the Heure Bleu, this transition between the past and the future in the making, has always been an hour of bittersweet pausing, of wanting to hold onto the present.

"There's a sweet melancholy that's nothing but a pleasant dream, a lovely melancholy. It is the state of a soul that closes itself off to the vivid temptations that would exhaust it and rather surrenders itself to the illusions of the senses and finds its comfort in thinking about what causes it pain." (Dictionnaire de Trévoux, 1771)

When Jaques Guerlain created L´Heure Bleu, the city of Paris experienced its melancholic blue hour. The world was on the threshold of a radical change, the preparations for a world war were in full swing everywhere in Europe. I see the introverted master in the old photographs in front of me, the snow-white hair strictly styled to the back, white cloaked, more a scientist than an artist, serious. He seems to shy away from the camera, turning his vulnerable gaze away from the viewer. I get a quote from his grandson Jean-Paul Guerlain when he was once asked about the story behind L´Heure Bleu on the Threshold of the First World War:

"Jacques Guerlain once said he had a hunch about the misfortune that was about to happen. "I couldn't put it into words," he told me. "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume.""

The quote describes the awareness of the transience of the present, which dwells for me in this terribly beautiful fragrance. The top note, aniseed and bergamot, tells the story of the last light summer end of the passing day. Violets, irises and carnations soon immerse the fragrance in a floral, blue-toned sparkle in twilight, so multi-layered, brilliant and melancholic. It surrounds you for a long time before you are released into the night with the comforting velvet warmth of vanilla, benzoin and tonka. It's not so bad. Ticktack.

I have a sample that contains a version of the fragrance that seems to have little to do with the current reformulation because vanilla takes a long time to come and doesn't get too loud either. But it probably doesn't matter to me either to ponder subtleties about reformulations, which L´Heure Bleu passes on the story of the transience of the present from generation to generation, regardless of whether it is transported by shellac or binary codes. L´Heure Bleu tells me to pause in the blue hour as the rupture of the river becomes quieter, taking the present with it, forever driving it away from me as the past, while the future is still in the making.

"Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
A beautiful reading...
Beside these great comments I do not presume to have any more.
For all L´Heure Bleue lovers I would like to give only a literature tip.:
The novel "Nur einzige Brief" by Judith Lennox is about an unfulfilled love at the turn of the last century and the protagonist carries and loves...of course L´Heure Bleue with whom she enchants...
Those who like novels in which one can immerse oneself and forget the here and now will also like them and perhaps enjoy them accompanied by a breath of this unusual scent. I bought L´Heure Bleue because of the reading and the heroine and did not regret it.
Rosie88
Eau de Parfum or Eau de Toilette?
I have read a lot about Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue, but I have never had the chance to test it... So I let the time pass, until I stumbled over HB again by chance here in the forum...

It must be really good... only which one is better - the EDT or the EDP???? Pooh, that's really hard to say, just from your comments, dear like-minded people...
And then there's the extrait...

Torn back and forth I searched Parfumo and the World Wide Web for answers.... But of course found no... at least not those that fit me ;-)

So I searched for a good offer and pulled out the order finger, which had been twitching and howling like a hyperactive puppy for a long time...!

....The puppy is satisfied and the EDP and the EDT are on their way to me shortly afterwards... Yes I know - a blind purchase and then both variants ordered - a bit crazy what?

But in my defense, I've let the extract go... ;-P

Anyway, I love to compare and here was a great opportunity for a 1:1 comparison of the EDP and the EDT, the result of which I would like to share with you :-)

So, enough talking and continue for comparison.

I start with the EDP:
Sprayed on and immediately impressive! Wow!
I smell clove, very much clove... surrounded by a slightly bitter bergamot and a spicy-hot anise note....
My first thought is, "this is an absolutely classic fragrance." Classic like Chanel N° 5, but different...
"Maybe I'm still a bit too young for this top note", goes through my head... but wait and see...

After approx. 10 - 15 minutes this force will settle down a little and the fragrance will soften...
A beautiful powdery iris emerges... It is powdery, but by no means dusty, dry, or old-fashioned... rather fresh and young...
"I like that better then"

Then I am overcome by a delicate violet note, which - despite its strength - breathes a floral air into the fragrance and makes it a bit more delicate... i feel the smell from then on as "freshly washed and powdered, scrubbed properly and now baby-pure" - if there is such a name ;-)

Then the scent on my skin changes again, because at the end a thick tonka bean joins the base, which makes the scent bitter, creamy and in my opinion a bit "leathery"...

The fragrance therefore remains powdery, creamy, "leathery" and absolutely wearable in the base....

Overall, I am positively surprised by the EDP. The fragrance begins a bit old-fashioned, then changes direction towards youth and then gets stuck in between. A very interesting fragrance... I like that, luckily ;-)

For all of you who don't have enough, here you can find my impressions of the EDT:

The EDT begins - compared to the EDP - much easier and accompanied by a somewhat alcoholic note...
The bitter-spicy sharpness of the EDP (i.e. its top note) is completely missing here at the EDT in my opinion...

...The EDT starts right away with this wonderful "freshly washed and powdered, neatly scrubbed and now baby-pure" note, which I personally very much like...

There comes directly "slide of Amouage" into my mind... he has a certain resemblance...

The EDT is generally not as difficult as the EDP... It is rather fluffy and light...
You can already smell the carnations, but in a lighter dose... The iris is also not dusty or dry with EDT, but rather young and fresh... The violet is much more reserved with the EDT and only quite fine to recognize...

The Tonka is slimmer and more reserved with the EDT, so that the "leathery" note, which comes up at the end with the EDP, does not come up here with the EDT. With the EDT you can clearly smell a nice unsweet vanilla, which is not the case with the EDP in my opinion.

In general the EDT - like the EDP - is rather unsweet.

In my opinion the EDT does not undergo as many changes as the EDP.

Conclusion of my 1:1 comparison:

-The EDP is very interesting because it has a great fragrance and some surprises. The prelude is very powerful and could frighten some...
The fragrance is generally very classic, but - once the top note has been sustained - it can also be worn by younger people :)

-The EDT is the somewhat "younger" version, which starts without the massive top note of the EDP.
There are no more big jumps in the base compared to the EDP. It gets a bit more herb-creamy, but the course from heart note to base is much finer than with EDP.
The EDT is generally slightly younger, fresher and more tender.

If I had to make up my mind.... i think I'd take the EDT... Or the EDP - because it is more diverse?
I'm almost at the beginning again.... No, I would take the EDT :-)

But since I have both variants now, I don't have to choose ;-P

I hope that I was able to help the still undecided with the choice - EDP or EDT

The brick
I feel inspired to write a comment here because I love the Eau de Toilette and was very surprised how the Eau de Parfum doesn't work (at least on my skin). For me it is really like a brick, very many notes on top of each other and no transparency in the fragrance. L'Heure Bleue is also in the eau de toilette form a rather linear scent, but you can still see that the spices become less during the day and the flowers more and more beautiful. The whole composition is carried by soft resins and tonka bean. With the Eau de Parfum I get this "Chinaladen Vibe", the spices and base notes are very close together and steal the show from the flowers. It's no fun for me to wear. I don't want to tear up the scent with this comment. I would rather that when people are interested in L'Heure Bleue, they first try the Eau de Toilette. In my opinion it is simply better and for new noses certainly also more easily accessible.

TruckladyTrucklady 14 months ago
Guerlain, stop right there. You already nailed the ideal scent.
AmberScentAmberScent 15 months ago
This fragrance would be more masculine if less floral, especially less carnation. However it's an intemporal unisex perfume. I just love it.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 17 months ago
This EdP has a smoky touch that makes somewhat unisex in spite of its florals and powdriness. Good performance and a joy to use!

.... zwischen Traum und Tag .....
by IrisNobile
... gleichermaßen kühl als auch warm umfängt uns die blaue Stunde ....
by IrisNobile
by Jersey
by Isabelle1
by Isabelle1

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Cologne) by Guerlain