L'Heure Bleue Eau de Parfum

L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain
Bottle Design Raymond Guerlain
Top 21 in Women's Perfume
L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women. The release year is unknown. The scent is floral-powdery. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesAniseedAniseed
VioletViolet
VanillaVanilla
BenzoinBenzoin
Tonka beanTonka bean

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 26.07.2021.

Between reality and dream
You're a piece of history to me. And because you are to me, I bought you blind. I just had to get to know you. And yes, you were going to be a part of my collection too! After you finally arrived, I waited patiently.
For the sun to sink into the horizon and for that brief moment when the firmament clothed itself in a breathtaking, half-glowing, half-dark blue light. That brief time between reality and dream.
There, where the noise of the day still hangs in the air but it already enters into a gentle embrace with the carefully knocking, quiet night. So, like two lovers who will soon sink into a heartfelt kiss and then melt into each other.
I waited for the blue hour. I wanted to experience you in that very moment that your creator was trying to capture. There I too was going to try to meet you, understand you, and maybe even learn to love you.
I was very lucky, just that day it was particularly beautiful and almost purple in parts. So I carefully and respectfully opened your protective cover and then held a beautiful bottle in my hand. Already when I lifted off your lid, I perceived you. That smells expensive and noble, that were my first thoughts. After the first spray, I was briefly at a loss for words. For me it felt like a little time travel. I really felt that you came from another era. I was in awe. For you, for your skill, and especially for your creator. Initially, I perceive anise and the slight freshness of bergamot. I briefly have an association that goes in the direction of Chanel Nº5, without knowing exactly why. In my mind's eye I see nobly dressed ladies from times long past. Then you become for me briefly exhausting, I suppose it is the clove that challenges my nose there. When this has said goodbye, you let me share in your powdery, still rich essence. Yes you are heavy, downright bulky but only to take me into the multi-faceted world of your being. You put me in turmoil but only to later be able to hold me gently yet with strong arms against you. You are history to me, transported to the here and now. You have survived two world wars and yet now lie proud, dignified and safe in my hands. Melancholy I personally do not feel - only said awe and also wonder. Your heart is a pit of murder, yes. You are not easy for me to see through, you have to be discovered. Again and again. Even if I don't wear you on my skin very often - I am happy and proud to know you and to have you in my collection. You are in your own and very special way a masterpiece and certainly not only at the blue hour.

Fragrance: very special, strong, noble, proud, spicy, challenging, rich, powdery, deep and multi-faceted.

Sillage: room filling, I really like the scent when it hangs around the room after spraying.
Durability: Very good.

Flacon: Just like its contents a piece of valuable (Guerlain) history.
Price: Reasonable.
Schrippe
Don't play with the mucky-mucks, don't sing their songs
Again, despite the silken stole, she shivered from a sleep that was not a deep sleep. Again she is caught up with her fears that someone might guess her origins.
The scent of violets on the table wafts through the parlor on this tepid night. During the day she is busy keeping the demons of her past at bay, sometimes with drinks like Pernod.
Anise, she says, nevertheless provides good breath.
Sometimes she gondolas by light rail to the city's hotspots, hoping to run into one of her exes, by chance, in the colonnades and catch a glimpse, albeit tear-veiled, of him. The fact that she has spent her entire budget on the purchase of the brand-name clothes necessary for this on the 6th of the month, she very successfully negates to herself. After all, bagged soups make you full, too.
At night, long after dusk has fallen, when quiet finally returns to the house of the early eighties, she slumbers on her wooden canapé in her two-room apartment.
The house she has lived in for years, where she has seen many neighbors come and also leave through her actions. For herself, moving out is impossible because she lacks the monetary means to do so or simply a suitable apartment that would be affordable. In Hamburg, even for solvent people, an almost hopeless undertaking.
The blue, constantly flickering light of the defective fluorescent tube of the factory building across the street disturbs the plan to lie down again. She nods off again at the table. Merely quickly closing the cold eyes that have seen so much and so little happiness in the process, so as not to have to deal with misery. There it is again. The dream. Actually, it's deja vu. She's wearing, as always, a scent of Jacques. Today, how appropriate, the blue hour. She imagines she knew this Jacques in person.
Blankenese, Elbchaussee.
A noble residential area, where it glows golden from room-high terrace doors. A place where the entrepreneur's wife fresh out of almond-flavored bath foam, holding her flowing blond hairdo together with ribbon, strolls through her generously laid-out borders of violets and irises. Jacques must have had that in his mind's eye, too. They know each other.
Across the river, the more working-class residential area.
She and her mother were lucky. Lucky, as a single mother, to have found a job as a governess with a well-to-do family near the Elbe. Mother toiled every day in the salons of the lordship, while the little girl had to spend the time as quiet as a mouse in the apartment. Sometimes mother came, served the child a meal of leftovers from the servants' kitchen.
One could say one lived in Blankenese.
When the girl entered school, she believed that a time of freedom was about to begin. The mother inculcated her to be something better and to always refer to the residential address of the gentlemen. In the cast-off clothes of the villa children, white lace socks and red patent-leather shoes, the child set off on the day of starting school. Alone, towards Ostender Strasse, this school was the safest to reach on foot.
Alone, not even that day did the mother get the day off.
I wonder if she had even asked the gentlemen
One could say, one lived in Blankenese.
She skipped out into the courtyard in her iris-blue pleated skirt, her blonde hair tied into monkey swings, up the steps of the back house where the servants' chambers were located.
She was petite for her six years. She looked around. To the left was the coal cellar, it stank of kitchen waste, full nappies and unwashed people. Her mother couldn't be blamed for that, it was taken care of. Always clean laundry, even if it was the discarded / patched clothes of the children of the employers. One lived in Blankenese, after all.In the assembly hall of the school the ceremony began. All the other children accompanied by their parents.She was referred to her teacher and when asked, she was told that she lived at the Elbchaussee and that her parents were busy. That was true-somehow. This construct ran through the girl's life. Always anxious to fulfill the high expectations of her mother. She, probably because of her own shortcomings, built her daughter up to be a grand dame, after all, if she were to have it better one day, if she were to find herself a well-to-do husband, they would both be well provided for.The girl withstood this pressure. Rejected advances of nice young gentlemen, it stood nevertheless to expect that still the prince on the white horse angaloppiert would come.
This prince never came. But, some came....recognized the hunger for attention and love, brought high quality perfumes like L'Heure Bleue Eau de Parfum , apparent preciousnesses from Doublé, to ensnare the now young woman. That they had long since been bound to another woman, had even married her and made her a mother, they concealed. She gave herself up.... And the gallants disappeared from the sheets towards the family fortress. A family she would never give up and never have. She knew her situation.Too loud, too energetic the mother who still lived within walking distance and also stirred unasked and unannounced, with the key in the door....in those moments she consoled herself with the expensive gifts of the adulterer.
She smelled so worldly, used perfectly the language of those to whom she wanted to belong. She didn't fit into their world.Too strained she tried to be someone she could never be . The shadows of her origins would not fade . No matter how hard she tried . It's sad.One lived in Blankenese.There were many of those toads she kissed , they just never went through the metarmorphosis to prince . Many an admirer took her along on business trips, furnished her and she gave the wealthy lady of the world, as she had so often observed with her alert childish eyes. In the hotel lobbies she saw as the catwalk of the world.
Woman could say one came from the Elbchaussee.
After all these disappointments, she recapitulates the stages of her life, always a different fragrance of Guerlain on her skin, and muses melancholically about the missed opportunities. L'Heure Bleue Eau de Parfum , the only fragrance that remains her favorite to this day.
Intriguing and vile she has become, she knows which buttons to push. She never fights with her sights open.
She lives in the lower town.
It's a crux. More and more people are realizing that she is not who she says she is.
She invents to those around her an heiress in the fine people's quarter and with whom she attends openings and cultural events.In order to claim the experience for herself, she studies and copies the experience reports of former colleagues and friends. Now she blows her cover. Her box number, under which she advertises in the name of her aunt, is identical to hers to every digit.She stands up, looks out the window.
What if she notices the heiress in the mirror?
She does not live in Blankenese.

Amazing Fresh & Powdery Scent
At first, I was a bit hesitant to try this one out because this was supposed to be a very fresh fragrance and I'm not really into fresh scents like that. Once I received it and tried it out I was stunned! Okay so this isn't a ground breaking scent at all. Yes, it's still "fresh" and "clean" but its a fresh and clean scent I can bare. It's stunning. It's not a cheap smelling fresh scent, it smells very expensive and luxe. The powdery notes in it I believe is what gives it that rich smell. If I had to describe this scent in a familiar circumstance and a scenerio I would describe this as a wealthy infant that just took a bath and that's parents are millionaires and they're putting a thousand dollar baby powder on the baby and dressing the baby in the finest clothes in the world. Overall very wealthy smelling fresh powdery fragrance. Pretty versatile too.
"Latin Lover" for our days
Thanks Jella for the comment! How reassuring that the "noses" and tastes are so different! L'Heure Bleue also "slays" me and I struggle for breath... I bow down in awe before most of the Guerlain fragrances; L'Heure Bleue, however, I find heavy and sultry as if smelling of eroticized bodies that go hunting again and again after an act of love without having changed my shirt first.
Grenouille8
Much more than a blue hour
A masterpiece. I really looked for other words, but couldn't find anything more fitting. Basically, L'Heure Bleue is the perfect fragrance. Harmonious, round, deep, multi-faceted, highly individual, distinctive, exquisite, weightless and yet heavy, soft and strong at the same time. It is simply Guerlain. Learned is learned. A guarantee for guarantee. Especially the classics. I first came into contact with this fragrance about 18 years ago. And I can still remember the situation almost exactly. It was the time when I began to discover my enthusiasm for Guerlain. All those stories. To almost every single perfume an own inspiration. So much tradition and history to discover. Mine, precisely. So of course I was especially interested in the old perfumes. From the hands of the greatest masters. And logically, there's no getting around L'Heure Bleue. I wanted to find "my" Guerlain fragrance and described it to the expert as it should be. What's important to me and what I like. Heavy, tending to be dark, full, with a touch of oriental, deep, long-lasting... She didn't have to think long and reached for a bottle. "This is it. Her scent". She was right. One breath was enough. I felt something velvety falling heavily upon me. It enveloped me. At that time I was still worried about how women's and men's fragrances were. Oh dear. This is a woman's perfume. There's no doubt about it. What am I doing? But it's mine. Fortunately, the desire was stronger and I adopted it despite some reservations about whether I "may" wear it as a man. Of course I can. Because now I know that you can't define a gender by a scent. There are still some notes that I would tend to assign more to women or men, but that doesn't mean that they can't both wear it. Basically, our perception today is probably mainly the result of marketing, and we have learned and accepted it that way. In its origin, however, fragrances were not really assigned to gender. Another example are real Arabic, oriental fragrances, i.e. those that can be bought on the net or directly in Arabic countries. There are many fragrances that are meant for men, completely untypical of what is sold to us here in the West as a male fragrance. But anyway - everyone has to decide for himself anyway. In the end it always depends on the individual wearer and the respective fragrance. And it's exciting when, for example, a very feminine woman wears a tart scent and a distinctive man wears a perfume with a certain sweetness or floral quality. It simply has to fit. And then the supposedly unsuitable scent even underlines the man's masculinity or the woman's femininity. Now back to L'Heure Bleue. Here it was just like this. Of course, the scent is anything but what we understand by a men's scent in our country. But I immediately recognized the potential, the complexity of this composition. I knew that this fragrance had a development, that it would bring out very different facets, and above all that it would connect with its wearer. This fragrance is a real signature. And that's why it also underlines a masculine personality. By the way, I feel this way with most of the older, great classic fragrances. Everyone now knows what the inspiration for this fragrance was, which was created in 1912. The hour when the sun has set, but night has not yet fallen. And yes. One might think that L'Heure Bleue perfectly captures this magical moment of the day. But of course it is an imagination, as inspiration is. A beautiful one, admittedly. But L'Heure Bleue is much more than that, because every wearer can of course give this fragrance their own interpretation. So I associate with this fragrance, apart from its magical aura, its heavy softness, its enveloping nature, a very special darkness, a certain melancholy and lascivious, intoxicating sensuality. But all this always with style and class. French. And despite the partly powdery softness of the fragrance, for me it also possesses great strength and angularity. It is complex and multi-layered. Above all, you have to learn this fragrance, get familiar with it. The more you deal with it, give it time and space, the more you will discover. It's worth it.

Life starts at dusk
L'Heure Bleue - the blue hour - was born in 1912 by the hands and nose of Jacques Guerlain. The era was pre-war, the impressionist age, the crazy years, and the industrial revolution with its bourgeoisie starting the revelry in the blue hour... the dusk. It is a floral oriental fragrance with the dusky scent of candies and almond cake (by the strong heliotrope) bought in an old-world apothecary (due to its powdery accord).
Of the fantastic feminine trio that I have labeled as minimally unisex - Shalimar, Jicky, and L'Heure Bleue - the latter is the one with a less masculine facet.
The opening presents us with anise licorice, too fleeting for my will, and that surrenders to the somewhat intense florals, with emphasis on the iris and violet (with its characteristic powder), the heliotrope (smelling like almond and vanilla), and for the clove (with a clove-like spicy scent). The spices are in the background - cloves, cinnamon, and tonka - rounding off the sweetness of the florals. Sandalwood, benzoin, and vanilla stand out later, and ensure the long and pleasant drydown, leaving the fragrance more unisex.
The performance is quite generous. Three spays are good enough for ten hours, with a sillage up to six feet and close to three hours of projection.
I have used this perfume in the middle of a group of people several times. I aroused some curiosity and heard comments about wearing an elegant perfume that stood out among the reigning masculine ambroxan. I confess that I was always very pleased with the choice of using L'Heure Bleue.
In a woman, this perfume invariably draws everyone's attention for its oriental warmth, and spices charm framing the floral notes.
It is a true masterpiece.

How can I measure this twilight scent?
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Opening: 8.5 (semi-fresh sweet opening with anise and florals)
- DryDown: 9.5 (long, more unisex bottom and drydown, with sweet spices and sandalwood)
- Longevity: 9.0 (3 sprays can last up to 10 hours)
- Sillage: 8.0 (up to 6 feet with 3 sprays; it projects for 3.0 hours)
- Uniqueness: 9.5 (It has its own individuality that has been sustained for more than 100 years now. I don't recall any similar fragrance besides its flankers, the older Après L'Ondée also by Guerlain, and, in a lesser degree, Esprit d'Oscar by Oscar de la Renta)
- Wearability: 9.0 (Almost a four seasons fragrance for outdoors or indoors, day or night; avoid the hot summer days)
- Versatility: 8.5 (A compelling oriental near unisex fragrance; excellent for a wide number of occasions even if its class and sensuality demand formal events, and intimacy only if used by a woman. Don't use it in the gym or in the beach)
- Compliments: 8.5 (You will smell very good to everybody, and people will admire you; My classification reflects the average of 8.0 for a man and 9.0 for a woman)
- Quality: 10.0 (well above-average quality ingredients, good flask, nice sprayer; handy refill bottles)
- Presentation: 9.0 (very good presentation, in my opinion, although very feminine... but it is a feminine fragrance after all)
- Price: 8.0 (EdP 75 ml non tester for € 55.00 + shipping)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Overall rating: 8.86 / 10.00
- between 7 and 8 = above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recommended;
- greater than 9 = do not miss;

Recommendation: This is a fragrance landmark, more feminine than masculine. I do recommend it for ladies. I can only recommend it for men after testing it and never as blind buy.

Music: Charles Aznavour - "Que C´Est Triste Venise"

Lavé en bleu/blue inked
Come with me and sit with me. It's time! It does not take long, but it feels like eternity. The moment when the day dies and the night is born. The short moment when the sun begins to sink and caresses the horizon like a last kiss. The sky becomes a canvas of colours. Like a running watercolor. Bitter thoughts like those of anise fly through the picture in dark swarms of passing birds, like a biting pain from stinging neroli. Thoughts circle like black rags in the distance. Torn clouds in delicate powder tones of blue-violet violet and iris adorn the firmament like a relief of finest marble. In the silence you can hear them coming softly. The melancholy! A bitter-sweet pain deep inside of me. Slowly the sun begins to melt like molten resin of benzoin on the horizon. The sky seems to be bleeding out in the spiciest colours of cloves. Disappearing, warm light in orange tonka and delicate, pastel vanilla. Warm my heart. I can hear my heartbeat. Or is it yours? In that one moment when the infinite horizon has finally brought the sun to itself and the sky is painted blue, you can slowly see it. Soft glittering tears of stars. Here comes her time! Br />
L'Heure Bleue
The death of the day and the birth of the night. Doom and resurrection. Deepest magic lies within this hour. Bitter notes of aniseed and neroli are gradually replaced by powdery tones of iris and violet, flowing together with spicy floral notes of carnation and tonka, until finally, with delicate brushstrokes of a soft-dry vanilla, they become a watercolour of cool-warm tones, like a pastel and infinite horizon. Sweet melancholy and delicate melancholy characterize it. It requires her right mood and disposition to wear it. It is an extremely sensitive perfume which does not only stay on the skin. It may go deeper than some people would like, if you are brave and sensitive enough to allow it to happen. And when you are,.....it whitewashes the soul in deep,sad-beautiful blue!

With the wings of time the sadness flies away!
- Jean de La Fontaine -
What doesn't kill you..
etc. usf. blabla.

I hate that proverb.

No matter which stroke of fate befalls you, there is always a pithy or pitiful one coming from somewhere: "What doesn't kill you etc. usf. blabla."
Knee open, abandoned by friend, pet or relative dead, house burned down, cancer survived or Hartz4 after a life of hard work: "What doesn't kill you etc. usf. blabla."

I need two fragrances to smell, feel and recognize why I hate this miserable saying so much.
One is "L'Heure de Nuit" - the other "L'Heure Bleue".
There should be a third one to complete the picture, but I haven't found it yet.

A life, a woman's life in fragrance I have here in bottlings in front of me.

The one, the fragrance not yet found, is a girl, a child.
Still untouched by deep pain and sorrow, it looks in wonder at the world, sees magic and miracles everywhere, believes in the goodness in everything, has deep trust in itself and everything around it. Nothing dark that cannot be driven away, evil only exists in fairy tales. She is full of tenderness and joy. The world is good, beautiful, full of fairies and butterflies.

L'Heure de Nuit is a woman, not quite young anymore, not old yet, a mother with small children. She has already seen evil, suffered injuries and even inflicted them, cried, suffered, was at the end of her strength, has picked herself up again. She hasn't had time to hunt butterflies, look for fairies or see where the rainbow starts for a long time.
But your children bring back the spell. Not always, but sometimes, when she sees autumn leaves or snowflakes falling with them, admires earthworms, listens to the wind or observes clouds, she can laugh again like a child, rejoice full of innocence. Then she is tender, soft and loving.

L'Heure Bleue is the same woman, the same girl, years later. After many wounds and strokes of fate, miracles and trust have finally disappeared. It is only the wind that rustles in the trees, butterflies die in autumn and a rainbow is light broken into drops of water. People are not always good, caution is better than looking back. Behind every smile waits a tear. She still sees the beauty, but can't feel it anymore. She can remember that she could see fairies, but she can no longer find them, can no longer believe them.

L'Heure Bleue has often been described as "melancholic" in the commentaries. That's not deep enough for me.
He is deeply sad, a reminder of what once was and what it will never be like again. Lost innocence, deep scars, never completely healed. He remembers the girl from that time and can never be again.

Yes, we mature and grow on our experience, but at what price?
I think "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger" is just wrong.

Correctly, it should read, "What doesn't kill us, lets a piece of us die every time."
Maurise
Melancholy at the blue hour
The much too hot and arid summer is coming to an end, just as everything is finally coming to an end on this confused grotesquely cold world, but the cold, the envy, the resentment, the hatred, the unfriendliness, the greed and the egoism among the people, who have visibly become our everyday life, is and remains infinite. I don't recognize this world.
I'm standing here under an autumn tree, shaken and tormented by icy north winds, with golden shimmering leaves raining down on me... a gentle golden autumnal slumber... Taking a deep breath from you, I turn my gaze towards the horizon and let dark, heavy clouds float along my field of vision, decorated and interwoven with fine, light, cobweb-like marbling, and I cannot really believe that such colossally gloomy, heavy, large clouds have chosen the infinity of heaven as their home of freedom; while I am here thinking of you, losing my thoughts in the rain of leaves under this tree, standing on a small spot of earth, I see my soul lingering..i wish you could hear me now, ...i count seconds, minutes that become hours, days, years and are coming to an end, and a barely noticeable cheerful smile around the corners of my mouth makes me suspect that i have grown fond of this count...i who would never have been able to fathom the meaning of numbers and numbers. You should see me, well, ...and I count...one, two, three...I'm close to you...drowning in deep blue......

The blue loving hour
"L'Heure Bleue" - The Blue Hour ... Neither time nor a scent can be blue.
However, this perfume has neither time nor haste. It is a timeless fragrance to enjoy from the moment of the first spray, till the exhaust of the extraodinary aroma.
I've never been in love with carnations. Neither the flower nor its scent. And yet, without the strong note of carnation, this Hour ran the risk of not being so Blue. The fresh, aniseed start soon gives way to the magnificent floral feminine heart. The spicy scent of carnation - similar to Indian cloves - is refreshed and sweetened with the soft neroli with orange facets.
I believe that now a bit of masculinity and sweetness is needed. This is achieved first with a powdery iris, some violet and tonka, and then further enhancing the sweetness with an oriental, slightly resinous and balsamic vanilla.
It is the scent of a calm and deep love, the love of a life.
I love to visit the "L'Heure Bleue" from time to time. And on each visit, I promise to return.
What is the concentration? Eau de Parfum, of course!

BertolucciKBertolucciK 6 months ago
Floral (carnation, violet), powdery (iris, tonka), spicy. For Spring and Fall. Unisex, elegant, with a great performance. A bit smoky.
TruckladyTrucklady 2 years ago
Guerlain, stop right there. You already nailed the ideal scent.
AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
This fragrance would be more masculine if less floral, especially less carnation. However it's an intemporal unisex perfume. I just love it.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
This EdP has a smoky touch that makes somewhat unisex in spite of its florals and powdriness. Good performance and a joy to use!

... gleichermaßen kühl als auch warm umfängt uns die blaue Stunde ....
by IrisNobile
.... zwischen Traum und Tag .....
by IrisNobile
by Chanelle
by Isabelle1
by Isabelle1

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain