L'Homme Idéal Cologne (2015)

L'Homme Idéal Cologne by Guerlain

L'Homme Idéal Cologne is a popular perfume by Guerlain for men and was released in 2015. The scent is citrusy-sweet. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Thierry Wasser

Top Notes Top NotesGrapefruit, Orange, Bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesAlmond, Neroli
Base Notes Base NotesIndian vetiver, White musk

Submitted by Freeestyler, last update on 11.07.2020.

Bubbly Lemon Soda
The worst part about this fragrance is that it’s discontinued. The smell on this is absolutely divine, as it smells like a bubbly lemon soda. It’s fresh, creamy, sweet, citrusy, and clean in all the right places, but I only rarely use it now because of how precious the juice is at the moment, and because the sprayer on here is absolutely nuclear. Unlike most fragrances where you can use it frequently and then you notice that you’ve put a dent in it, in this fragrance you can watch the juice just disappear before your very eyes. It’s kinda sad, yet sobering at the same time because it reminds me to not overuse it no matter how much I may want to. The nuclear sprayer is definitely needed though, as this fragrance is very light, and turns into a skin scent very quickly, so the vast amount of juice keeps the smell there for longer. These things all make it perfect for summer though, as it makes it so that it’s not cloying or annoying to people in the warmer weather. I give this a hearty recommendation if you can find it for a reasonable price, but on eBay they’re going for at least double retail so it might not be your best bet unless this really speaks to you. Still, try before you buy.
SvenScent
Refreshing lemonade with almond in the heart

This L'Homme Idéal Flanker has inspired me from the very beginning. His opening is a super tasty grapefruit-Waldmeister lemonade that you would like to order immediately. This is so successful that at first you think you are holding your nose directly over a freshly poured glass of effervescent lemonade and perceive the smell of the rising carbonic acid. I immediately remembered the taste and smell of the Frigeo/Ahoy fizzy drinks from my childhood. This citric freshness is soon mixed with a creamy sweetness of almond and tonka - simply wonderful, simply delicious, simply unique! The longer the fragrance lingers on the skin, the stronger the similarity with Chanel's Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême; which is not such a bad reference...

For me, L'Homme Idéal is perhaps even the best pure spring scent I know. Because it is rather not suitable for the cold seasons and for the hotter summer days perhaps a bit too sweet. The Sillage might be a bit more offensive, but the performance is still very good for a spring/summer scent.

An Ideal Cologne
This was a semi-blind buy for me. Had not actually tried it but saw reviews and had tried the EdT, EdP and Cool. Since I quite liked all the others I decided to give this a shot

This has an amazing citrus note that lasts the better part of the initial 2h. After the first hour that citrus starts fading away to the background and a sweet, delicate almondy smell that was previously the background switches places to the foreground.

Performance is weak but reasonable for a freshie summer fragrance.

Projection and sillage are low. Longevity is also low at 5-6h, but this has passed the "wife test". First day wearing this, just when I thought it was gone after some 5h, my wife arrived and said "you smell good" :)

Versatily is great. In summer or warmer spring days anyone can use this. It has a very classy scent, but it is not so formal that you can't wear it casually.

This is discontinued from what I read, but can be found online easily and with discounts.

Leisure in a bottle
This is you, wearing white linen clothes, on vacation, laid back and letting go.
The initial citrus hit is very nice, fades rather quickly and makes way for a cozy almond and rum note, not unlike Guerlain's Homme, but brighter, fresher, less elegant, more playful. After a while, a soft smoky note lingers.
Lasts for about two hours noticeably, then recedes into the smoke for another two or so hours, overall, for such an affordable, yet refined scent, satisfying.

almond
This has an instant creamy lemon smell. That is what first comes to mind. This a nice light fragnance that is good for a warm sunny day and good for the work setting. I really enjoy this one. I give this a 9/10
From Nay to Yay in one day
For me, the Cologne of the L'Homme Idéal series was, along with the EdT, the stepchild of the series for a long time. While the EdP in winter spreads opulence in a positive sense and the sports version is wrongly underestimated in my opinion and is quite unique with its combination of almonds and aquatics, the Cologne always made the impression of the nice boy from next door during various tests on test strips, about whom you can actually say nothing bad, but who comes across quite arbitrarily.

How first impressions can sometimes deceive...

For spring and summer I bought a bottling and tested it several times during the last days. Especially in sunshine and on my skin I got to know a new side of cologne which inspired me. The star is the grapefruit in the top note. It's not the type that reminds me of the sour and bitter juice of various mediocre breakfast buffets, but a sweeter, more ripe fruit that immediately brightens my mind and makes me think about summer. This is probably due to the sweetness of the L'homme-Idéal DNA - here it works wonderfully and is rounded off by a fleetingly perceptible bergamot.

This top note remains surprisingly long for a cologne and is supplemented over time by the typical almond, which is on a low flame in comparison to EdT and EdP. It does not play the leading role, but harmoniously accompanies the character of the fragrance, accompanied by a hint of neroli. The whole thing is bedded on a base that, unlike EdT/EdP, is not difficult, but pleasant and slightly fluffy in the form of a light musk gives an interesting depth. Vetiver, as listed here, I don't smell any.

All in all, a favorite of the series has emerged very surprisingly for me, which I smiled at until two weeks ago - but which I will wear gladly in the coming warm months, when I feel like summer refreshment without a cool lemon.

And the lesson from history - only testing on paper is not worth it!

DoctorJay
I dont know what happened
Listen, I bought this last week. I loved it at first spray. The opening was amazing. I got orange, almond and I could even make out the vetiver somewhat. It is definitely masculine. I really liked the fragrance but there was one caveat. I was disappointed by the longevity.

But then something happened. I wore this to bed last night for the first time since getting it. I sprayed me left hand, my shirt and my left wrist.
I woke up this morning and could still smell the dry down very strongly. I could make out every base note still!
It doesn't even end there.

Today I wore Chanel Allure homme sport eau extreme. You all know how potent and long lasting of a fragrance that is. On my left hand and wrist, all day, keeping up with the Chanel, I could still smell the Guerlain Ideal Cologne! I really still cannot believe it. I am in awe. I have no idea what or how this fragrance transformed.

I got home just now and put on my night shirt. Guess what......It smells almost exactly like when I sprayed it on last night!

That is over 24 hours of longevity. It is the reason for this review.

Im not sure if the fragrance "macerated" or whatever, but this is awesome and absolutely amazing. The best part, is I only paid 23 dollars for the 3.3 oz bottle!

Highly, highly recommend. Safe blind buy if you like masculine lemon fragrances.

AmberScent
The almond and grapefruit cologne that made me happy
Guerlain is certainly the designer I admire and respect the most. This admiration has been at its full till very recently. with a large group of fragrances I unconditionally love to wear. After blind buying a Guerlain fragrance for the first time quite some years ago (L'Instant EDT vintage), I just went on blind buying other Guerlain colognes and increasing my happiness with this brand.
Last year I bought "L'Homme Ideal" EDT and, although I was not disapointed, I was not over enthusiastic about it as I expected. The reason seemed simple to me. Usually I like strong scents and I should have started by buying the Intense version. Was the pairing of almond and tonka as the main notes, to sweet for me? Well, usually too much sweetness is not a defect for me, so I just held a definite opinion in standby as probably the concentration was the factor to blame.
Later on I bought the Intense version. To my astonishement I was even less enthusiastic with that one. Ok, the concentration changed but the notes changed as well. Have I ever tried a perfume with strong vanilla, almond, cardamom and smoky notes? None that I can recall. Nevertheless I was surprised by my reaction. This was the first smoky scent that did not raise love since the first spray.
Recently I received a decanter of the EDP. I was still not convinced by this third ideal man. At least I reached an obvious conclusion. There was nothing wrong with the EDT, or the EDP or the Intense version. I got used to them now, and learn to love them as any other Guerlain perfume. In fact I may even buy an EDP bottle as soon as my decanter dries up. The issue was that my nose was not used to almond fragrances and it only got worst with the concentration increase together with the blending of more familiar notes to me like tonka, cardamom, vanilla or smoky wood. The fragrances were proposing me scents and accords different from my expectations and my initial reaction was one of rejection.
Decided to clear this doubt I just went ahead blind buying the EDC version. "Colonia di mandorle e pompelmo" was written in the Italian distributor web page where I ordered my flask. It just sounded quite right.
And quite right it was! A lower concentration fragrance, keeping the signature almond note, but introducing more citrus, namely the fantastic natural grapefruit note was just what was needed for a love at first sniff. Currently this is still the fragrance I prefer from this Guerlain Homme Ideal series.

Although I am not a fan of Luca Turin writings I am going to quote him in the L'Homme Idéal Cologne appraisal:
According to "Perfumes: Guide 2018"
L'Homme Ideal Cologne (4 out of 5 stars) grapefruit vetiver
"...The original Homme Ideal was pretty good, and notable for a cleverly constructed drydown with a property that perfumer Thierry Wasser seem to hold the secret to: a weirdly long-lasting freshness. The cologne achieves one of the best grapefruit notes in living memory. To call it a top note would be unfair, because it tapers very slowly as the vetiver takes over. Perhaps the most remarkable thing about this fragrance is what it does not force upon you: oily synthetic sandalwoods, piercing woody-ambers, nauseating barbershop musks, etc. Nice to see old world manners alive and well in an affable, urbane, eminently wearable fragrance. LT".

You see... Both Luca and myself agree on this being a great fragrance!
Just as a quick note, I would like to add that, for my nose, there is a similarity between this fragrance and other sweet and refreshing one, that I really love: Blu Mediterraneo - Mandorlo di Sicilia - from Acqua di Parma.

The quintessential review.
Recently, I’ve noticed that I have a habit of blind-buying controversial fragrances. It’s not intentional I’m sure, but the pattern is unmistakable. Perhaps there’s a subconscious tick that enjoys the thrill of proving someone right – or in some cases – wrong. Nevertheless, whether or not you believe that there is a true right or wrong in perfumery, the fact remains that noses disagree. The question is, are you willing to look past your own biases and resonate with a more objective point of view? I know I’m not. Mostly.

According to the reviews available online, L’homme Ideal Cologne (LIC) is the very definition of controversial. Some people love it, hailing it as a creamy and inexpensive summer staple in their collection thanks to that characteristic almond note and attractive price point online. Some people deride it as a blatantly boring citrus flanker with abysmal longevity and performance. Even long-time YouTube reviewer Sebastian Jara was shocked to find that Luca Turin had given it 4 out of 5 stars (a more than respectable score) in Perfumes: The Guide (2018), stating that it “achieves one of the best grapefruit notes in living memory.” In LIVING MEMORY. Yeah. High praise indeed.

However, I finally had the opportunity to sample it for myself last year. Being a big fan of the original L’homme Ideal and an even bigger one of the more leathery Eau de Parfum version (ps – I love cherry syrup), I was actually looking forward to sampling the lightest and brightest flanker of the bunch. Unfortunately, from what I can remember of the experience, it wasn’t a very good one. I was disappointed. Disgusted more like. It was absolutely dreadful. On skin, the juxtaposition of the citrus and sweet notes was rather unpleasant and gave the impression of being suffocated by a fluffy white pillow sprayed with drugstore disinfectant. Similar imagery came to mind when testing Chanel’s Allure Edition Blanche. To me, that one had a distinct undertone of bug spray (the best bug spray I’ve ever smelled mind you), and HM by Hanae Mori – a weirdly disjointed and screechy lemon candy. But one year following my less-than-heartening experience with LIC, I now own a bottle. So what happened?

Well the truth is, I got bored. And when you get bored, you look for something new to pacify your boredom (lol am I wrong?). And after passing up LIC for so long, I simply got sick of all the controversy. It was time to scoop up a cheap bottle and give it a thorough examination.

This is what I found.

It’s weird. Ok? Let’s just get that out of the way. It’s weird. Niche territory weird. But I certainly don’t hate it for that. In fact, for the price it’s currently going for online, the quality is outstanding. But here’s the rub – do you enjoy weird fragrances that go through 4 or 5 stages before disappearing completely in 4 hours? Caaaause this one sorta does.

But let’s start from the top. The opening blast on paper is friggin amazing. Juicy orange with that Ideal sweet cherry syrup, giving it an almost peachy accord. Without boring you with the details of the development, it basically dries down to L’homme Ideal Edt with some added grapefruit in the background. The effect, to me, smells like sweet Iced tea. Imagine a cold, crisp cherry flavoured Nestea on a hot summer day. Really good stuff. I absolutely love it.

But most uNFoRTuNaTely…it’s a different story on skin. Sure, the opening is the same, but it starts to turn REAL quick. The orange disappears entirely and is replaced by that authentic grapefruit. And when I say authentic, I MEAN it son. Luca Turin was right. It ACTUALLY smells like a grapefruit. RED grapefruit to be exact. None of that uber-lemony white grapefruit that has blanketed the top notes of the designer market nowadays, but actual – friggin – grapefruit. And you know what? I never really appreciated how much I don’t like grapefruit until now. What a strange coincidence wouldn't you say? Kidding! Kidding!

For about an hour, LIC doesn’t really know what it is. Sometimes I get very pleasant wafts of L’homme Ideal, other times, I feel my stomach turn from the queezy combination of grapefruit and Ponds hand cream. And as the grassy vetiver starts to kick in (not the spicy or soapy one I so enjoy), the fragrance takes on another strange personality. Is it soda? Is it hand lotion? A sweet rubber band? A female hygiene product? What the HELL man?

I don’t know, and part of me doesn’t WANT to know. Forget about your generic citrus freshies or sport flankers on the market today – this stuff tears those to PIECES. In fact, you might as well forget about the wonderful opening of LIC altogether, since the drydown on skin smells absolutely nothing like it. I mean, how does a fragrance go from sweet cherry-orange iced tea to distinctly unsweet, disjointed, powdery vetiver weirdness so quickly, with some fleeting glances of a God-like grapefruit??? I just….I just….

I dunno, I really don’t. But I can tell you this. LIC is staying in my collection for sure. Mind you, I’ll be spraying my clothes with this one. To me, it’s like that strangely misshapen kid whom everyone shuns but just needs a hug. You know, the one that smells like grapefruit skin lotion and eats grass? Maybe I’m missing something, but if you asked me, I probably wouldn’t recommend this to anyone looking for a mass-appealing fragrance.

Bottom line – The controversy is certainly justified, but it isn't bad juice. The quality is there, but the blend just takes some getting used to. Unfortunately for me, I should’ve went with my first impressions last year. But if you have a habit of blind-buying controversial fragrances, you eventually get what you deserve – cognitive dissonance apparently. In a sexy white a bottle.

Noble and Charming
Scentrack: Jamiroquai – Summer Girl

Usually flankers are just annoying side effects of the modern perfume industry, like some rash. However, in my opinion l’Homme Ideal Cologne is a shining exception to the rule. In fact, I consider this creation as the finest of the whole line, and even the best spring/summer fragrance I have encountered during my perfume journey. Absolutely gorgeous. Fresh, yet distinctive, possessing almond note, as the hallmark of the whole l’Homme Ideal line. Guerlain’s in house perfumer Thierry Wasser skillfully created a summer flanker with an attitude and laid back charm.
From the moment I spray this fragrance, it smells noble and rich. Imagine wearing white polo shirt on Riva boat. A summer day on Cote d’Azur or evening in Dubrovnik. I usually tend not to use terms like “rich”, but in this review the word is appropriate.
L’Homme Ideal Cologne opens with sunny citrus notes of grapefruit and orange accompanied with just a touch of piercing pepper. These citric notes are extremely refined and clean. Interestingly, this citrus heaven gives me an impression of a champagne fizzy cocktail. A stunning almond note is responsible for beautiful creaminess and gives the distinction from other summer fragrances. Behind all the main players I sense some flowery touch, maybe neroli. The grapefruit/orange combo is persistent and gradually morphs in very clean vetiver and even cleaner.
What a noble creation l’Homme Ideal is. The journey from bright citrus notes to clean and mellow vetiver/musk base via soft almond touch. I am absolutely fascinated by this Guerlain’s summer masterpiece. I even sold several other summer fragrances, because I realized I will always choose l’Homme Ideal over them. My only concern is I heard some rumors about discontinuation of this noble jewel. O tempora, o mores.

Ahmetk96Ahmetk96 45 days ago
Very nice scent for hot weather.
AmberScentAmberScent 21 months ago
A lower concentration, keeping the signature almond note, but introducing more citrus, namely the fantastic grapefruit. A summer delight!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 22 months ago
Summer Guerlains always fascinated me and this Ideal Man is no exception. I do recommend it over all the other Ideal Men EDP, EDT, whatever!
DavidBrazDavidBraz 22 months ago
Beautiful! Fresh citrus combined with almonds which give it elegance. Not great longevity but who cares when we`ve this quality for lower €
OPomoneOPomone 5 years ago
2.5
"The worst is not the surest." Paul Claudel
"I'm sure I can't do any worse." Thierry Wasser, speaking of L'Homme Idéal Cologne
ApiciusApicius 5 years ago
Great fragrance, my personal summer favorite 2015. Will have to write a review.

by DemonHead
by Ahmetk96
by 1976Michalis
by 1976Michalis

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain