L'Homme Idéal Cologne (2015)

L'Homme Idéal Cologne by Guerlain

L'Homme Idéal Cologne is a popular perfume by Guerlain for men and was released in 2015. The scent is citrusy-sweet. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Thierry Wasser

Top Notes Top NotesGrapefruit, Orange, Bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesAlmond, Neroli
Base Notes Base NotesIndian vetiver, White musk

Submitted by Freeestyler, last update on 16.10.2019

8.0 6.0 7.0 9.5/10

An Ideal Cologne
This was a semi-blind buy for me. Had not actually tried it but saw reviews and had tried the EdT, EdP and Cool. Since I quite liked all the others I decided to give this a shot

This has an amazing citrus note that lasts the better part of the initial 2h. After the first hour that citrus starts fading away to the background and a sweet, delicate almondy smell that was previously the background switches places to the foreground.

Performance is weak but reasonable for a freshie summer fragrance.

Projection and sillage are low. Longevity is also low at 5-6h, but this has passed the "wife test". First day wearing this, just when I thought it was gone after some 5h, my wife arrived and said "you smell good" :)

Versatily is great. In summer or warmer spring days anyone can use this. It has a very classy scent, but it is not so formal that you can't wear it casually.

This is discontinued from what I read, but can be found online easily and with discounts.
7.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

Leisure in a bottle
This is you, wearing white linen clothes, on vacation, laid back and letting go.
The initial citrus hit is very nice, fades rather quickly and makes way for a cozy almond and rum note, not unlike Guerlain's Homme, but brighter, fresher, less elegant, more playful. After a while, a soft smoky note lingers.
Lasts for about two hours noticeably, then recedes into the smoke for another two or so hours, overall, for such an affordable, yet refined scent, satisfying.

almond
This has an instant creamy lemon smell. That is what first comes to mind. This a nice light fragnance that is good for a warm sunny day and good for the work setting. I really enjoy this one. I give this a 9/10
8.0 6.0 6.0 8.5/10

From Nay to Yay in one day
For me, the Cologne of the L'Homme Idéal series was, along with the EdT, the stepchild of the series for a long time. While the EdP in winter spreads opulence in a positive sense and the sports version is wrongly underestimated in my opinion and is quite unique with its combination of almonds and aquatics, the Cologne always made the impression of the nice boy from next door during various tests on test strips, about whom you can actually say nothing bad, but who comes across quite arbitrarily.

How first impressions can sometimes deceive...

For spring and summer I bought a bottling and tested it several times during the last days. Especially in sunshine and on my skin I got to know a new side of cologne which inspired me. The star is the grapefruit in the top note. It's not the type that reminds me of the sour and bitter juice of various mediocre breakfast buffets, but a sweeter, more ripe fruit that immediately brightens my mind and makes me think about summer. This is probably due to the sweetness of the L'homme-Idéal DNA - here it works wonderfully and is rounded off by a fleetingly perceptible bergamot.

This top note remains surprisingly long for a cologne and is supplemented over time by the typical almond, which is on a low flame in comparison to EdT and EdP. It does not play the leading role, but harmoniously accompanies the character of the fragrance, accompanied by a hint of neroli. The whole thing is bedded on a base that, unlike EdT/EdP, is not difficult, but pleasant and slightly fluffy in the form of a light musk gives an interesting depth. Vetiver, as listed here, I don't smell any.

All in all, a favorite of the series has emerged very surprisingly for me, which I smiled at until two weeks ago - but which I will wear gladly in the coming warm months, when I feel like summer refreshment without a cool lemon.

And the lesson from history - only testing on paper is not worth it!
9.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

DoctorJay
I dont know what happened
Listen, I bought this last week. I loved it at first spray. The opening was amazing. I got orange, almond and I could even make out the vetiver somewhat. It is definitely masculine. I really liked the fragrance but there was one caveat. I was disappointed by the longevity.

But then something happened. I wore this to bed last night for the first time since getting it. I sprayed me left hand, my shirt and my left wrist.
I woke up this morning and could still smell the dry down very strongly. I could make out every base note still!
It doesn't even end there.

Today I wore Chanel Allure homme sport eau extreme. You all know how potent and long lasting of a fragrance that is. On my left hand and wrist, all day, keeping up with the Chanel, I could still smell the Guerlain Ideal Cologne! I really still cannot believe it. I am in awe. I have no idea what or how this fragrance transformed.

I got home just now and put on my night shirt. Guess what......It smells almost exactly like when I sprayed it on last night!

That is over 24 hours of longevity. It is the reason for this review.

Im not sure if the fragrance "macerated" or whatever, but this is awesome and absolutely amazing. The best part, is I only paid 23 dollars for the 3.3 oz bottle!

Highly, highly recommend. Safe blind buy if you like masculine lemon fragrances.
8.0 6.0 7.0 9.0/10

AmberScent
The almond and grapefruit cologne that made me happy
Guerlain is certainly the designer I admire and respect the most. This admiration has been at its full till very recently. with a large group of fragrances I unconditionally love to wear. After blind buying a Guerlain fragrance for the first time quite some years ago (L'Instant EDT vintage), I just went on blind buying other Guerlain colognes and increasing my happiness with this brand.
Last year I bought "L'Homme Ideal" EDT and, although I was not disapointed, I was not over enthusiastic about it as I expected. The reason seemed simple to me. Usually I like strong scents and I should have started by buying the Intense version. Was the pairing of almond and tonka as the main notes, to sweet for me? Well, usually too much sweetness is not a defect for me, so I just held a definite opinion in standby as probably the concentration was the factor to blame.
Later on I bought the Intense version. To my astonishement I was even less enthusiastic with that one. Ok, the concentration changed but the notes changed as well. Have I ever tried a perfume with strong vanilla, almond, cardamom and smoky notes? None that I can recall. Nevertheless I was surprised by my reaction. This was the first smoky scent that did not raise love since the first spray.
Recently I received a decanter of the EDP. I was still not convinced by this third ideal man. At least I reached an obvious conclusion. There was nothing wrong with the EDT, or the EDP or the Intense version. I got used to them now, and learn to love them as any other Guerlain perfume. In fact I may even buy an EDP bottle as soon as my decanter dries up. The issue was that my nose was not used to almond fragrances and it only got worst with the concentration increase together with the blending of more familiar notes to me like tonka, cardamom, vanilla or smoky wood. The fragrances were proposing me scents and accords different from my expectations and my initial reaction was one of rejection.
Decided to clear this doubt I just went ahead blind buying the EDC version. "Colonia di mandorle e pompelmo" was written in the Italian distributor web page where I ordered my flask. It just sounded quite right.
And quite right it was! A lower concentration fragrance, keeping the signature almond note, but introducing more citrus, namely the fantastic natural grapefruit note was just what was needed for a love at first sniff. Currently this is still the fragrance I prefer from this Guerlain Homme Ideal series.

Although I am not a fan of Luca Turin writings I am going to quote him in the L'Homme Idéal Cologne appraisal:
According to "Perfumes: Guide 2018"
L'Homme Ideal Cologne (4 out of 5 stars) grapefruit vetiver
"...The original Homme Ideal was pretty good, and notable for a cleverly constructed drydown with a property that perfumer Thierry Wasser seem to hold the secret to: a weirdly long-lasting freshness. The cologne achieves one of the best grapefruit notes in living memory. To call it a top note would be unfair, because it tapers very slowly as the vetiver takes over. Perhaps the most remarkable thing about this fragrance is what it does not force upon you: oily synthetic sandalwoods, piercing woody-ambers, nauseating barbershop musks, etc. Nice to see old world manners alive and well in an affable, urbane, eminently wearable fragrance. LT".

You see... Both Luca and myself agree on this being a great fragrance!
Just as a quick note, I would like to add that, for my nose, there is a similarity between this fragrance and other sweet and refreshing one, that I really love: Blu Mediterraneo - Mandorlo di Sicilia - from Acqua di Parma.
9.0 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

The quintessential review.
Recently, I’ve noticed that I have a habit of blind-buying controversial fragrances. It’s not intentional I’m sure, but the pattern is unmistakable. Perhaps there’s a subconscious tick that enjoys the thrill of proving someone right – or in some cases – wrong. Nevertheless, whether or not you believe that there is a true right or wrong in perfumery, the fact remains that noses disagree. The question is, are you willing to look past your own biases and resonate with a more objective point of view? I know I’m not. Mostly.

According to the reviews available online, L’homme Ideal Cologne (LIC) is the very definition of controversial. Some people love it, hailing it as a creamy and inexpensive summer staple in their collection thanks to that characteristic almond note and attractive price point online. Some people deride it as a blatantly boring citrus flanker with abysmal longevity and performance. Even long-time YouTube reviewer Sebastian Jara was shocked to find that Luca Turin had given it 4 out of 5 stars (a more than respectable score) in Perfumes: The Guide (2018), stating that it “achieves one of the best grapefruit notes in living memory.” In LIVING MEMORY. Yeah. High praise indeed.

However, I finally had the opportunity to sample it for myself last year. Being a big fan of the original L’homme Ideal and an even bigger one of the more leathery Eau de Parfum version (ps – I love cherry syrup), I was actually looking forward to sampling the lightest and brightest flanker of the bunch. Unfortunately, from what I can remember of the experience, it wasn’t a very good one. I was disappointed. Disgusted more like. It was absolutely dreadful. On skin, the juxtaposition of the citrus and sweet notes was rather unpleasant and gave the impression of being suffocated by a fluffy white pillow sprayed with drugstore disinfectant. Similar imagery came to mind when testing Chanel’s Allure Edition Blanche. To me, that one had a distinct undertone of bug spray (the best bug spray I’ve ever smelled mind you), and HM by Hanae Mori – a weirdly disjointed and screechy lemon candy. But one year following my less-than-heartening experience with LIC, I now own a bottle. So what happened?

Well the truth is, I got bored. And when you get bored, you look for something new to pacify your boredom (lol am I wrong?). And after passing up LIC for so long, I simply got sick of all the controversy. It was time to scoop up a cheap bottle and give it a thorough examination.

This is what I found.

It’s weird. Ok? Let’s just get that out of the way. It’s weird. Niche territory weird. But I certainly don’t hate it for that. In fact, for the price it’s currently going for online, the quality is outstanding. But here’s the rub – do you enjoy weird fragrances that go through 4 or 5 stages before disappearing completely in 4 hours? Caaaause this one sorta does.

But let’s start from the top. The opening blast on paper is friggin amazing. Juicy orange with that Ideal sweet cherry syrup, giving it an almost peachy accord. Without boring you with the details of the development, it basically dries down to L’homme Ideal Edt with some added grapefruit in the background. The effect, to me, smells like sweet Iced tea. Imagine a cold, crisp cherry flavoured Nestea on a hot summer day. Really good stuff. I absolutely love it.

But most uNFoRTuNaTely…it’s a different story on skin. Sure, the opening is the same, but it starts to turn REAL quick. The orange disappears entirely and is replaced by that authentic grapefruit. And when I say authentic, I MEAN it son. Luca Turin was right. It ACTUALLY smells like a grapefruit. RED grapefruit to be exact. None of that uber-lemony white grapefruit that has blanketed the top notes of the designer market nowadays, but actual – friggin – grapefruit. And you know what? I never really appreciated how much I don’t like grapefruit until now. What a strange coincidence wouldn't you say? Kidding! Kidding!

For about an hour, LIC doesn’t really know what it is. Sometimes I get very pleasant wafts of L’homme Ideal, other times, I feel my stomach turn from the queezy combination of grapefruit and Ponds hand cream. And as the grassy vetiver starts to kick in (not the spicy or soapy one I so enjoy), the fragrance takes on another strange personality. Is it soda? Is it hand lotion? A sweet rubber band? A female hygiene product? What the HELL man?

I don’t know, and part of me doesn’t WANT to know. Forget about your generic citrus freshies or sport flankers on the market today – this stuff tears those to PIECES. In fact, you might as well forget about the wonderful opening of LIC altogether, since the drydown on skin smells absolutely nothing like it. I mean, how does a fragrance go from sweet cherry-orange iced tea to distinctly unsweet, disjointed, powdery vetiver weirdness so quickly, with some fleeting glances of a God-like grapefruit??? I just….I just….

I dunno, I really don’t. But I can tell you this. LIC is staying in my collection for sure. Mind you, I’ll be spraying my clothes with this one. To me, it’s like that strangely misshapen kid whom everyone shuns but just needs a hug. You know, the one that smells like grapefruit skin lotion and eats grass? Maybe I’m missing something, but if you asked me, I probably wouldn’t recommend this to anyone looking for a mass-appealing fragrance.

Bottom line – The controversy is certainly justified, but it isn't bad juice. The quality is there, but the blend just takes some getting used to. Unfortunately for me, I should’ve went with my first impressions last year. But if you have a habit of blind-buying controversial fragrances, you eventually get what you deserve – cognitive dissonance apparently. In a sexy white a bottle.
9.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

Noble and Charming
Scentrack: Jamiroquai – Summer Girl

Usually flankers are just annoying side effects of the modern perfume industry, like some rash. However, in my opinion l’Homme Ideal Cologne is a shining exception to the rule. In fact, I consider this creation as the finest of the whole line, and even the best spring/summer fragrance I have encountered during my perfume journey. Absolutely gorgeous. Fresh, yet distinctive, possessing almond note, as the hallmark of the whole l’Homme Ideal line. Guerlain’s in house perfumer Thierry Wasser skillfully created a summer flanker with an attitude and laid back charm.
From the moment I spray this fragrance, it smells noble and rich. Imagine wearing white polo shirt on Riva boat. A summer day on Cote d’Azur or evening in Dubrovnik. I usually tend not to use terms like “rich”, but in this review the word is appropriate.
L’Homme Ideal Cologne opens with sunny citrus notes of grapefruit and orange accompanied with just a touch of piercing pepper. These citric notes are extremely refined and clean. Interestingly, this citrus heaven gives me an impression of a champagne fizzy cocktail. A stunning almond note is responsible for beautiful creaminess and gives the distinction from other summer fragrances. Behind all the main players I sense some flowery touch, maybe neroli. The grapefruit/orange combo is persistent and gradually morphs in very clean vetiver and even cleaner.
What a noble creation l’Homme Ideal is. The journey from bright citrus notes to clean and mellow vetiver/musk base via soft almond touch. I am absolutely fascinated by this Guerlain’s summer masterpiece. I even sold several other summer fragrances, because I realized I will always choose l’Homme Ideal over them. My only concern is I heard some rumors about discontinuation of this noble jewel. O tempora, o mores.
8.0 7.0 7.0 8.5/10

Definitely no cologne
The L'Homme Ideal range - A great and high quality range. I have already tested the EDT and the EDP and found them good. In autumn/winter great fragrances that accompany the wearer well. The series is completed by Sport and L'Intense, which I haven't tested yet. I ordered this cologne untested because I was looking for something for the summer. Besides, this scent was just on sale. 50ml for about 40 Euro, a fair price for a Guerlain.
Releasing a heavy fragrance as a fresher summer variant has been in vogue for several years now. I have to say: I like heavy DNA's in a slightly fresher robe, like Spicebomb, La Nuit de L'Homme, Code, Dior Homme and some more. Converting such DNA's into summer scents isn't even that easy. However, I find such scents great for milder summer days and summer evenings/nights without the great heat.

First of all, this is an EDT. A Cologne concept was also rather less implemented here. When I think of a cologne, I think of a fragrance that is easy to wear without a lot of bells and whistles. A fragrance that accompanies uncomplicatedly, especially at very warm and hot temperatures. Often a short refreshment with little performance. This is less true for this fragrance, even if it is not unsuitable for summer.
The bottle is pretty and in summery white. Guerlain is always very stylish and noble when it comes to flacon design.
The fragrance has of course retained the typical DNA of the original. What changes is the underground. A pleasant citric freshness accompanies the ideal DNA. Especially grapefruit and bergamot provide a noble and slightly bitter freshness. This freshness meets a beautiful sweet DNA that is not cheap. An almond note is very present from the beginning. What should also be mentioned is that this is a fragrance without a large gradient. The freshness is maintained for a very long time and the heart and base notes also start early. Towards the end it becomes more aromatic with lots of musk. Otherwise the fragrance remains very similar from beginning to end.
The performance is not cologne-like. It lasts at least 6-7 hours with good Sillage.
For me it is rather an evening/night fragrance for the summer instead of a cologne. Above all by the beautiful sweetness paired with the freshness. He is already very stylish and also a bit sensual. But it is also well wearable at milder temperatures, but not at all for the great heat. By this fresh stylish sweetness comparable to Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme. Not from the DNA, but the scent type is similar.

Definitely worth a test for those who like sweet fresh scents
9.0 6.0 7.0 9.5/10

Colognes?
Cologne?
That's not cologne!

According to the then Jim Beam advertising this is true.

I combine a Cologne with refreshment on hot summer days, like my beloved Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne. It's cologne! Yes!!!

So here we have only to do with the name, which should make it recognizable that it is in a fresh fragrance of the Ideal series, not more!

But that doesn't have to be bad either.

The whole Ideal series is controversially discussed here and I have the impression with some, if it is not a second Habit Rouge or at least L'instant de Guerlain, then it is also bad.

I don't give a damn.
From the ideal range I will test the perfume again when it gets colder.

But back to the cologne which isn't.
Great prelude with grapefruit, slightly citric and very sweet.
I notice the almond only quite easily, but then orange and neroli in the background.
The sweetness stays, but not too much for me.
It changes back and forth. Sometimes fresh, sometimes sweet, sometimes both.

I can't interpret it, but there's always something very chic in the air. So maybe some reason DNA resonates, at least again cologneuntypical.

For me a very tasty scent, ideal for office, leisure and also times to go out.
I'd wear it but not over 30 degrees.

I can already imagine that it is too sweet for one or the other, just at the beginning. But who likes sweet scents can test him gladly times.

He holds good 6-7h at me and gets so after 5h very close, before you have a pretty good Sillage in the first 2h.
The bottle is very chic in white with an equally white lid and the sprayer is great.

Conclusion: A cologne that is not a cologne, but still appealing. I'm not an ideal man, but I'm very comfortable with him.
5.0/10

GMK
A generic product of a distinguished House
Would have been one of the sexiest and awesome fragrance if it was named as L'Femme Ideal for Women. This is toned down L'Homme with Orange blossom which definitely reminds me of Dior Homme Cologne and original L'Homme Ideal.

Highly recommended for ladies as its very appealingly feminine and sexy.

Bravo Wasser, You gave a new direction to mighty Guerlain, they can now make very good Ice Cream flavours, rather than groundbreaking classics.

No, and no!
A cheap vodka-lime ice cream with a sprinkle of pepper & curry being eaten by someone with severe transpiration issues. Farewell Guerlain.

4/10
7.0/10

The Summer L'Homme Ideal Flanker
With the commertial success achieved after launching last years its next masculine pilar fragrance, it was already expected that a L'Homme Ideal flanker would be generated to keep the interest on the franchise. Generally, Guerlain flankers follow a kind of flankers' etiquette on which you always have to launch a fresher version and a more intense one from the original idea. This is the fresher one, possibly set to be launched on May to be spread during the spring/summer season, which seems to fit it well. But even that it's a Cologne version, it's not totally fresh for a tipical summer fragrance. Here, apparently the woody and ambery notes were toned down considerably which remove in parts the relationship impression with fragrances like One Million and Amen Flankers. The Almond liqueur impression is still on it, altough now it's enveloped on a very pleasant mixture of bergamot and what seems to me to be provençal hebrs. There is something slightly floral too, in a green way, that shows for some quick moments after the herbal and citrus opening, something that quickly mixes into the almond accord. It's curious that after many hours on skin, this fragrance shows me a green side that i haven't notice at first, something that reminds me of the great and saddly discontinued Gucci Envy Man. Even tough it looses intensity (which is already expected to a Cologne version), i think that this variation gains fresher, harmony and becomes more versatile. Unfortunately, is still not the version that makes L'Homme Ideal something that would separate Guerlain from what others have been doing.

AmberScent 12 months ago
A lower concentration, keeping the signature almond note, but introducing more citrus, namely the fantastic grapefruit. A summer delight!+4
Carlitos01 13 months ago
Summer Guerlains always fascinated me and this Ideal Man is no exception. I do recommend it over all the other Ideal Men EDP, EDT, whatever!+5
DavidBraz 13 months ago
Beautiful! Fresh citrus combined with almonds which give it elegance. Not great longevity but who cares when we`ve this quality for lower €+1
OPomone 4 years ago
"The worst is not the surest." Paul Claudel
"I'm sure I can't do any worse." Thierry Wasser, speaking of L'Homme Idéal Cologne+2
2.5
1.0
Apicius 4 years ago
Great fragrance, my personal summer favorite 2015. Will have to write a review.+3

by DemonHead
by eBOSS
by Mathias86
by Mathias86

Popular Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Jicky (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain