L'Homme Idéal (2016)Eau de Parfum

L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain

Top 68 in Men's Perfume
L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for men and was released in 2016. The scent is sweet-gourmand. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesAlmond, Bergamot, Spices
Heart Notes Heart NotesBulgarian rose, Frankincense, Vanilla
Base Notes Base NotesLeathery notes, Sandalwood, Tonka bean

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 08.08.2020.

Almond, Cherry and Spicy
I bought this based upon reviews all over the fragrance web. It’s a blind buy but worth it. The opening starts fresh and then dries down into a spicy almond and cherry. Not too spicy. The dry down is very sexy. Some may call this a winter fragrance but I’m think spring and fall. Very fresh. Becomes a skin scent after four hours on my skin, and that’s the only reason I gave this an 8 / 10.
The IDEAL
...with full expectation I erhilet the scent, especially the association with Cherry Coke made me curious. And what can I say, the smell exceeds my expectations. It is beautiful, sweet but still masculine, fresh and yet a bit tart. It has a bit of everything. According to the descriptions, I did not expect this freshness at all, so much the better, I will wear it in summer too. For my nose absolutely suitable.

Nuts With Cherry
This fragrance is weird, but endearing. It smells like what you would get if you crushed up walnut shells, and drizzled a little bit of cherry syrup on it. The stand out note in this is definitely the nut note. As this fragrance is first and foremost utterly nutty. But as you continue to wear it the other notes, like cherry and vanilla, begin to come out and it becomes an absolute treat to wear. Not that it isn’t to begin with, as I really like how nutty the beginning is, but I can definitely see it being a turn off for some people. This is definitely a fragrance where the juice and bottle are evocative of what the fragrance smells like. Mostly brown, but with just that slight hint of red and white around the label to let you know that there is a twist to what you’re gonna smell. I really do enjoy this fragrance. Remember to sample before purchasing.
Starpatrick
The cherry rose clouds my mind
Guerlain, Guerlain... A creation as worthy as a god. I've been waiting for a fragrance as fascinating as L'Homme Ideal! Such a round, deep and smooth I have rarely seen in this price range. 100ml for 50€ for this masterpiece? You can't complain about that.

The fragrance opens up relatively fresh for a gourmand! The bergamot note and the rose give the almond in the heart a great freshness kick, which later develops into a softer, sweet gourmand through the very present vanilla and the rather few present tonka bean on soft sandalwood. Unfortunately I do not notice incense and leather at all. Paired together it gives you a cherry feeling that lasts through the whole fragrance and lasts until the end. (I love it!) I get a good 9-10 hours out of the fragrance and the sillage is also quite nice, not skin-tight, but not a room filler either. Very creative, high quality, good value for money and I can't complain about durability and Sillage. Top!
J1ndujun
A bright star in gourmet heaven!
Where do I even start to tell? Actually L'Homme Idéal not even planned in my collection at first. First I wanted to try Spicebomb Extreme, which is supposed to be so good...or one of the Dior Homme series? Hmmm. So you watch some YouTube videos, because you want to get a first impression from experienced snoopers. But what do my little eyes see over and over again on the front places of presented rankings? Correct: L'Homme Idéal from Guerlain.

Hmmm, take a look at this one, it's not supposed to be that expensive. But I'm still a beginner when it comes to perfumery. Sweet gourmand? I don't know what I'm thinking about when I see it. I have no idea.
According to a clever search engine, a "gourmand" is a person who likes to eat a lot. That fits me perfectly, I thought and suddenly he was on my table at home and that for very little money
You can already guess by my evaluation where the journey is going to be...
I have mostly well-known designers standing at home and nobody smells like this! So sweet and playful and as delicious as a delicious dessert after a good meal, thanks to the Tonka bean! It's true that you can associate the fragrance with cherries, but it's amazing that this blend of top notes leads to such an impression. I'm really not an ace at smelling individual notes, but I've rarely smelled such a wonderful mixture of different scents
For me this fragrance is an absolute insider tip and especially in the transition period it is really pleasant to smell. It has a good shelf life and silage and the bottle also looks extremely high-quality.
L'Homme Idéal was definitely not a bad buy and gets an absolute buy recommendation from me!
BigB
From ideal men and the traditional house Guerlain
L'Homme Idéal. The fragrance for the "ideal" man. But how is "ideal" defined or does not everyone have a different idea of "ideal"? So can one fragrance fit all ideas of "ideal", the "ideal" universal tool? If Guerlain has his way, the ideal man of today is wrapped in a sweet-rosy scent cloud. Masculine? No. But still very wearable, if you like this kind of scent.

In my opinion, L'Homme Ideal EdP is the best fragrance in the range. Thierry Wasser and Delphine Jelk have (I think) deliberately designed a range that is quite "mainstream-heavy", but can still have its own character (for example the almond note that runs like a red thread through the fragrance range).

For many people who are intensively involved with fragrances and are also part of our community, the L'Homme Ideal series is often titled "inappropriate" for Guerlain. To "0815", too "boring", too "marketing". I can understand the criticism here. All the fragrances in this series can be recognized by more experienced noses as "less complex" than Guerlain's big names (Habit Rouge, Shalimar, Spiritueuse Double Vanilla, etc...). That's true, but why not create a fragrance series to make Guerlain accessible to younger and not yet so "fragrant" audiences?

After the first activation of the spray button (which I think is very good and releases an even and neat scent charge) you will perceive a warm and very nice sweetness, but without any of the ingredients used coming to the fore. L'Homme Ideal EdP is a gentle fragrance that is never "slapping" at any time, but wraps the wearer in a beautiful aura, which is especially the first two hours very good and can be perceived within a larger radius. After some time a cherry note crystallizes more and more, even if cherry is not mentioned in the pyramid of fragrances. For me, EdP is a fragrance that is very well perceptible over the entire fragrance process, even if it is closer to the skin. The durability is absolutely ok for an EdP and so far I have always received only positive feedback, both from men and women. If L'Homme Ideal EdP would be declared as a unisex scent, this would be absolutely understandable, as I can imagine it also being used by women (which would have to be reflected in a name change).

In my opinion, the fragrance is wearable in all seasons, but in summer it is more likely to be worn on colder and rainy days, as I think that otherwise it could unfortunately drift off a bit in a too pressingly sweet direction.

Guerlain has succeeded in creating a fragrance for the mainstream market, which is, however, completely independent and clearly stands out from the currently offered designer fragrance segment and can truly show niche level. I can say that I would have gladly paid more for this fragrance and would definitely not have regretted it.

My conclusion: An independent fragrance, which in my opinion stands out very positively from the current "mainstream fragrance assortment" and can be used for many occasions. The fact that Guerlain is currently trying to "cannibalize" the L'Homme Ideal line a bit and is launching Flanker at ever shorter intervals is something I think is a pity, but it can't be considered too "reprehensible" in today's world when companies and fragrance houses are trying to exploit all possible levels for new sales. Guerlain doesn't have to prove anything to anyone anymore, as they have already launched several iconic fragrances in the past. In times when craftsmanship still stood above profit margins and the like.
So: Well done Guerlain. I like to wear L'Homme Ideal EdP very much and can recommend it from my side.
Micscent
A dozen roses for the man (9/12)
As a newbie (meanwhile not so new anymore), I try to write a series of comments. This is the ninth part.

The motivation, the idea and the criteria
I'm a real fan of the scent of roses (in my youth my mother had Paris from YSL. I thought "the hammer") but the rose isn't exactly the first thing you come across as part of a men's fragrance. Nevertheless the rose is included in - as I think - more and more men's fragrances.
According to the following criteria I have therefore selected 12 of these fragrances and will comment and compare them one by one:
- Men's fragrance (except Desert Rose by Urban Scent as a unisex scent, I just had to use it)
- Rose as heart note (exception: Much Ado About The Duke from Penhaligon's, I was just in London at the idea)
- Published from the year 2000
- Rating of at least 6.0 with at least 40 ratings
- No Oud (not mine)

Fragrance no. 9 is: L'Homme Idéal - Eau de Parfum (*2016) by Guerlain
(so far: (1) Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian, (2) 24 Old Bond Street Triple Extract by Atkinsons, (3) Lyric Man by Amouage, (4) Colonia Ambra by Acqua di Parma), (5) Déclaration d'un Soir by Cartier, (6) Desert Rose by Urban Scents , (7) ManRose by Etro), (8) Much Ado About The Duke by Penhaligon's

The house, the perfumer and the shopping
Guerlain is one of the oldest perfume houses in the world. Founded in 1828, it was run by the family of the same name until 1994. The perfumer-chemist Pierre-François-Pascal Guerlain opened his first house in 1828 at Place l'Etoile, today's Place Charles-de-Gaulle (for those who are interested: The square was renamed on 13 November 1970, a few days after the death of the former French President). In 1853, Pierre-François-Pascal Guerlain donated his Eau de Cologne Impériale to Empress Eugénie on the occasion of her marriage to Napoleon III, thus becoming the official court perfumer. Four generations later and after the development of classics such as Shalimar (1925) and Habit Rouge (1965), the company was taken over by the luxury group LVMH in 1994. The great-great-grandson of the company's founder, Jean-Paul Guerlain, was the last owner and, until 2008, the brand's head perfumer. Alongside Mathilde Laurent, who - as described in No. 5 (Déclaration d'un Soir by Cartier) - had already worked with and for Jean-Paul Guerlain in the early 1990s, it was and still is Thierry Wasser, above all, who drove the further developments. He succeeded Jean-Paul Guerlain in 2008, becoming the first perfumer-in-chief at Guerlain not to bear the legendary name. Swiss-born Thierry Wasser (*1961), who designed L'Homme Idéal - Eau de Parfum here - together with the German Delphine Jelk, is one of the "outstanding personalities in the perfume art of today". With this description, he was honored for his life's work on May 12, 2019 at the German Perfume Awards. After an apprenticeship at the Givaudan Perfume School in Geneva, his first creation (for Givaudan) was Salvador Dali for Men in 1987. In an interview, he describes his work as a melodic piece of music.
I came across L'Homme Idéal - Eau de Parfum for my series rather by chance and I would like to thank Shuqush for the bottling.

The fragrance, the ingredients and the experience
Guerlain's creations are often said to have a slight "family resemblance" in the form of a common, classic "scent chord". This so-called "Guerlinade" is the "code name" for a mixture of jasmine, iris, tonka bean, bergamot, Bulgarian rose and vanilla. L'Homme Idéal - Eau de Parfum also quotes this tradition. The fragrance starts with an intense almond amaranth, (cherry) fruity note. In contrast to the sometimes tangy-nutty to slightly bitter, here it is quite clearly the sweet side of almond, complemented by the fruity side of bergamot. And in my opinion, a hint of cardamom and possibly also cinnamon is added at the beginning - slightly balsamic. The bergamot probably comes from Calabria, where Guerlain - by the way - has been switching to organic farming for a few years now. According to Thierry Wasser, many people do not know the scent of bergamot from nature, which in his opinion makes it mysterious. This is part of the concept here, "enveloping, seductive and mysterious" is how the fragrance should appear. Interestingly enough, the almond tree belongs to the rose family and almonds are known to be used in the production of marzipan. While rose water is occasionally added to round off the taste - i.e. in the production of marzipan - the (Bulgarian) rose follows here, also in a rounded form. The heart note, however, is determined by vanilla. The incense is added - and it does so in a wonderful and perfectly balanced way - which then slowly merges into the leather. The whole thing is framed in a further rounding off by soft sandalwood and the manel-like tonka. As a result, Thierry Wasser and Delphine Jelk have created two triads in L'Homme Idéal - Eau de Parfum, two three-tone chords: The classic "guerlinade" (enveloping, seductive) of (1) bergamot - (2) rose and vanilla - (3) tonka, and the wooden oriental (seductive, mysterious) of (1) almond and spices - (2) incense - (3) leather and sandalwood. And the "gourmand" of almond, vanilla and tonka combines the two triads into a melodic work of art, entirely in the intention of Thierry Wasser.

The conclusion, the comparison and the practical application
In Guerlain's L'Homme Ideal range, the eau de parfum is certainly the fragrance for the cooler months and evenings, perhaps (with its classical DNA) for evenings with classical music. In my series, it's most likely to join Colonia Ambra (see "A dozen roses for men - 4/12"). The rose is also here accompanying and rounding off. Seldom have I experienced the development of a perfume from the top to the base note so finely and yet so clearly. However, for my taste - especially for an eau de parfum - the fragrance could be a bit stronger in the haltbarket and sillage. In any case, L'Homme Ideal - Eau de Parfum is "enveloping, seductive and mysterious" and 100% a wonderful gourmand.

(1) Lumière Noire pour Homme - The noble softie
(2) 24 Old Bond Street Triple Extract - The Elegant Briton
(3) Lyric Man - The "pure" rose
(4) Colonia Ambra - The "warm (rose) wood"
(5) Déclaration d'un Soir - The "olfactory emotion"
(6) Desert Rose - "The name of the rose"
(7) ManRose - The aesthete
(8) Much Ado About The Duke - The ambivalent classic
(9) L'Homme Idéal - Eau de Parfum - The Gourmand
Tommyxxl
The sweet cherry with the light vanilla note!
The fragrance is a very sweet cherry in the top note, followed by a lightly smoky vanilla in the heart note.
I find that the fragrance is very easy to wear in winter or at Christmas.
Whereby it must be said that the fragrance could also be ranked among the "unisex" fragrances, as it also appears slightly feminine. I believe that this is one of the reasons why many women find the fragrance so great.

Bottom line A great sweet fragrance that is perfect for wintertime. Durability and sillage are good
Mmmhhhh delicious..
During my last holiday in Gran Canaria I visited a lot of perfume shops. The choice is good and the price level is approximately 20-30% lower than the price level in Germany. As I practically did not know anything about Guerlain yet, I decided to try the l'Homme series and tested 4 or 5 of them for a short time. The only thing I remember noticeably and positively was L'Homme ideal EdP. I got it a few weeks ago as a bottling in the Souk. And I really liked this sample.

Wow. The fragrance is sexy and sensual, sweet and seductive and a bit mysterious. But also somewhat artificial and mainstream. I would describe it as an insider tip among mainstream fragrances. Even though it gets along well here on Parfumo and many people own it, I never see people in perfumeries who reach for the bottle, ask for it or get the fragrance recommended by salespeople. Also otherwise I have never smelled it with anyone else and I know no one who owns it.

I can't smell out many of the notes given. It's a sweet overall composition, which smells kind of cherryy - although this note doesn't appear in the pyramid - and very subtle sandalwood.

The Sillage is average, relatively fast the radiation is limited (in my opinion or estimation) from half an arm length to an arm length. The durability is okay, but not very good.

I don't know if, or don't think so, that's how the ideal man smells. There's something feminine about this fragrance. In my eyes, at least it's not extremely masculine But most "Homme" fragrances don't necessarily smell like Tom Ford's Noir Anthracite now.

I like to wear the fragrance and it is halfway versatile - it doesn't really bother anybody - but I always have to be careful not to "carry it over".
4 days in a row l'Homme Ideal EdP and I need a break. Therefore it has no signature scent potential for me.

In summary, it is a seductive, cherryy mainstream fragrance that is not extremely innovative or unique, but still has that wow factor
Seahawk12s
high quality and worth every Euro
Very great scent, very unique in its composition, especially natural with the dominant and very clearly perceptible cherry, I'm not an expert to filter out and name scents, but this is really more than clear. Good durability, not too obtrusive silage and a very high-quality bottle as befits a perfume in the upper segment, clear recommendation to buy for the cold days.

AithanAithan 178 days ago
Opening resemble with traditional lambative herbal. Then, cherry scent appears.
Got lot of compliments (mostly from ladies)
Good performance
Carlitos01Carlitos01 7 months ago
This one is similar to the EdT with a stronger concentration. I prefer the L'Homme Idéal L'IntenseL'Homme Idéal L'Intense with a stonger almond and a smoky note.
SpiffSpiff 10 months ago
Class in a bottle. Cherry, almond and guerlinade. Great performer but not cloying, good for any occasion in cooler weather or nights out.
BreadyBready 20 months ago
Amazing scent!
AmberScentAmberScent 24 months ago
Habit Rouge EDP married Eau Sauvage EDP, added some sweetness, and one year later their so far only son was born - L'Homme Ideal EDP.
HermeshHermesh 4 years ago
What is here particularly impressive, are the subtle tea notes, which are worked in in a fine way (much better than at Néroli OutrenoirNéroli Outrenoir).

Köstlicher Sommerbegleiter für ❃ Gourmets
by BlueValkyrie
...mag den an Männern sehr gern ... elegant • maskulin • gourmandig • sexy • fresh
by sebjar
by Fedaie
by Spiff
by Spiff

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain