L'Instant Magic

Eau de Parfum (2007)
L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain
Where to buy?
L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) (Guerlain)
L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 2007. The scent is powdery-flowery. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesFreesia, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesAlmond, Woods, White musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 22.04.2017

In L'Instant Magic the new Guerlain accord Musquinade was used for the first time.

Bottle 5.0/10
Sillage 6.0/10
Longevity 7.0/10
Scent 5.0/10
2 Awards
A Baby Powder Bomb With a Bit of (White?) Musk
Category: Floral Woody Musk

Top Notes: Anise, Bergamot, Lemon.

Heart Notes: Mimosa, Carnation, Violet, Freesia, Rose.

Base Notes: Iris, Sandalwood, Almond, Vanilla, Cedar, Musk.

Projection: Decent

Sillage: Decent

Longevity: Good

The house of Guerlain is unquestionably my favourite house, and I own many, many of its fragrances including the original L'Instant which I quite like and would not hesitate to recommend, so with high expectations I recently added L'Instant Magic, EdP to my collection. I have worn it a few times now, and whilst it is not a bad fragrance at all, it is not as nice as I thought it would be, and perhaps this is because the legendary J-P Guerlain did not create this fragrance for the house. Who knows?

L'instant Magic has a very strong powdery note all the way into the deep dry down. It is not a "make-up" type of powder but a baby powder kind of powder (so I am in disagreement with the previous reviewer), and it truly dominates this fragrance. Whilst there is nothing wrong with the scent of baby powder, I do not find it very sophisticated, and if I wanted to smell like baby powder, I certainly could do so for a lot less money.

I am truly sorry to say that this fragrance is definitely NOT the usual Guerlain quality, and it is definitely NOT worth the price, and unless you really love the smell of baby powder, you probably will not be too impressed with this fragrance. Instead, and unless you already own them, I recommend you purchase Shalimar, L'Heure Bleue, Samsara, or even the original L'Instant for half the price of Magic and get truly beautiful, sophisticated, and romantic fragrances in the bargain. It pains me greatly to say it, for after all this is a Guerlain, but I have smelt Bath and Body Works fragrances that are more sophisticated and more compelling than is Magic, e.g. Black Amethyst. Before you commit to spending this much money for Magic, please try to sample it first. You will be glad you did so. I wish I had done so.
Bottle 7.0/10
Sillage 9.0/10
Longevity 10.0/10
Scent 9.0/10
Greatly helpful Review    5 Awards
powdery almond clean fragrance
For me 'l'instant magic' was a blind buy.I was attracted to the pink colour of perfume.It seemed to me girly but when I smelled it things totally changed.Although it's not a niche perfume I think it can be compared to a niche perfume.At first all you can smell is white flowers with lemon but after a little while it turns to a powder heaven-not a baby powder /talc powder perfume, but a baby soft perfume with an etheral vanilla, an almond or better bitter almond clean/musky perfume, that lasts for hours without being heavy.It is just like you are in the middle of a sweet-powdery cloud so light that everyone will notice.
Sillage 9.0/10
Longevity 8.0/10
Scent 3.0/10
Greatly helpful Review    3 Awards
Dislike A Little Less
I wanted to love or at least like this perfume, so today I gave it a second wearing. The first wearing was off-putting in the extreme. Bergamot, Fressia and Rose--all of which I like--should have won me over, much less the lovely-sounding base of almond, woods and white musk, but they didn't because my nose just detected chemicals and in self-defense closed. This time I had a longer chance to appreciate this mellow, pleasant scent until, alas, the synthetics once again asserted themselves. Though I had to wash it off, I don't hate-hate it now. The reason I can't wear this is the same reason I have to vacate the house if chemicals are being used, the same reason I was sick for a week after the visit of a supposedly-green-and sanitary cleaning company, that turned out not to be. I could rent myself out as a human canary. Suffice it to say that nature didn't intend that we be long exposed to whatever ingredients are in L'Instant Magic. Those with noses not so afflicted, may find this a quite pleasant, almond-rose scent that doesn't change much during the drydown, but perhaps there's something to be said for an agreeable steady state.
Bottle 7.5/10
Sillage 7.5/10
Longevity 7.5/10
Scent 5.0/10
aoe
Very helpful Review    7 Awards
Plastic Almonds
Among the German reviews some noted that they thought this was a very quiet scent, to which I couldn't agree less. I don't have any of it at home, but sprayed myself with it a few times and while I don't find it outright unbearable it remains a very artificially smelling almond scent that kills anything below. Only the metallic lemon has a chance in the head and early base, and that's not exactly a favorite of mine.

The benzaldehydic almond musk didn't convince my co-tester either, quite in contrast to Serge Luten's Louve with a similar almondy theme that I had bought in the 'bay a bit before

ScentedSalon 77 days ago
Glad I didn't listen to detractors. Similar opening to original, continues into totally different perfume: clear musk and air, almond powder+2
Bottle 10.0
Sillage 1.0
Longevity 2.0
Scent 8.0
PBullFriend 8 months ago
Love: this gentle scent smells like a soothing, pampering cream. Hate: > a dot makes it hard to breathe. Such a soft, pretty poison.+2
Sillage 7.5
Longevity 10.0
Scent 9.0

Popular Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain La petite Robe noire (2012) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Jicky (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain