L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (2005)Eau de Parfum

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain

Top 14 in Men's Perfume
L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for men and was released in 2005. The scent is gourmand-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesElemi resin, Star anise, Citrus notes
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Neroli, Patchouli blossom
Base Notes Base NotesHibiscus seed, Cocoa, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tea, Cedar

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 08.07.2020.

The previous addition "Eau Extrême" is omitted since 2016, following the alteration of the bottle.

Mister Cocoa
This, together with M7, Dior Homme / Homme intense and Gucci Rush For men is undoubtedly among the best perfumes born after the 2000s. There is no niche that keeps boys, this perfume expresses quality, in every sense, quality of ingredients, artistic quality, quality in the composition of the ingredients, sensory quality, this is a gentle perfume. I don't like cataloging perfumes, much less poetizing when I talk about them, but believe me, if you present designer perfumes, niche perfumes, create a section of immortal perfumes, and this would certainly be part of it.
I prefer to talk to you about the Extreme version because it is the one I prefer, deeper, darker, slightly sweeter and greedy if we really want to say it, compared to the eau de toilette version, albeit good but it differs slightly, so as not to be redundant. the EDT version is classic and formal, the EDP version is more exclusive and courageous.
The opening is very closed and citrus, bright, pungent, star anise, resins and fresh flowers, jasmine, neroli and cocoa, the true protagonist of this perfume, already from the opening you can feel it, already want to enter and take part of the scene, a not sweet cocoa, but a bitter, earthy cocoa and now the most interesting part comes, the crystalline citrus bud opens for space tariff and an explosion of warm, enveloping, sweet, loaded pleasure, the cocoa mixes with the earthiness and to the woodiness of the Mysore sandal with patchouli, a bomb of soft, sweet and warm woodiness, earthy, slightly spicy, a sort of theobromic-vanilla bomb, very sexy, unique, refined.

A citrus fruit with a sweet-cocoa-woody heart, very masculine although tending to sweet, bright, classy, which makes you feel safe. It remains on the skin for a long time, it is very persistent, it is among the longest lasting perfumes in my collection.
A fresh citric opening that perfectly turns to a warm heart, sandalwood-chocolate, how did they do it? In my opinion they are the quality ingredients that distinguish this perfume, in many have tried to imitate it (JPG Kokorico, Nasomatto Pardon) failing miserably, even at home, the same Guerlain with the various reformulations have seriously compromised the goodness of this essence , I am talking about the first version, the one with the black frames to be clear, the next one with the clear edges and even worse the last one with the rectangular bottle, they lack quality, nuances, personalities , in evolution that distinguish it.
Unfortunately Guerlain has decided to stop it, I recommend you recover it, if you find it buy it blindly, it will be worth every penny. I love it.

Rating 9.5 / 10

See me walking down Fifth Avenue
It is indisputable that I like a perfume that catches the attention of other people, ladies in particular. However my main criterion of choice is that it pleases me above all. I don't really have a preferred choice by perfume type. I have no doubt that I greatly appreciate oriental woody and resinous perfumes. But my entrance gate is wide enough to let a good fougere pass by, or a pleasant chypre, or even a fresh citrus or aquatic.
Guerlain L'Instant belongs to a personal section of perfumes that I mentally qualify as a pleasure generator for myself. It is not a scent that draws much attention in public, much less a magnet of female attraction. But it transfers an aura that "everything is fine with us". It gives us confidence and well-being and transmits it to the people around us. L'Instant can be an extraordinary therapist and for much more than just an instant. It just places you instantly in downtown Paris or New York.

The fragrance is woody, full of spices and just a bit sweet. At first glance, and after 3 to 4 sprays, the power of citrus is impressive, with a light resinous aura and a soft anise gratifying sweet note. As this first wave slowly dissipates, chords of a light patchouli with some lavender and white flowers emerging, creating a captivating, manly and dignified scent. After this busy evolution, we entered a calmer phase, revealing a rich dark and greasy cocoa, as well as wood, both a more austere cedar and a more creamy sandalwood, accompanied by a strong and complex patchouli. This base extends itself through the drydown and is soft and warm, transmitting a firm and secure masculinity.
L'Instant, even in its Eau de Parfum concentration, is not a performance star. Longevity is a bit above average, but the sillage is moderate and the projection is a bit low. Probably I would expect a bit more stamina from this star fragrance, but its undoubted elegance requires this type of moderation. I have both releases of the older square bottle and the newer taller flask. I don't devise any scent or behavior difference between the two versions, but I like the older bottle better.

Let's spend an instant to frame this landmark in numbers.
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Opening: 9.25 (marcant anised and citrusy blending)
DryDown: 10.0 (divine bitterish cocoa and strong patchouli)
Longevity: 8.0 (3 good sprays can last up to 7~8 hours)
Sillage: 7.0 (up to 5 feet at its peak with 3 sprays; projects for less than 2.0 hours)
Uniqueness: 10.0 (It has its own DNA and individuality; I don't recall any similar fragrance)
Wearability: 8.5 (A three season fragrance for outdoors or indoors, day or night; avoid the hot summer days)
Versatility: 8.5 (A very easy to wear spicy and woody unisex fragrance; excellent for a daily or office wear; forget sports and seaside)
Compliments: 8.0 (You will smell good to everybody and people will respect you)
Quality: 9.0 (above-average quality ingredients, good flask, nice sprayer; I take 1 point for the just average performance)
Presentation: 7.5 (presentation classification for the new bottle; simple but effective and virtually identical to a dozen of other Guerlain men fragrances)
Price: 9.0 (EdP 100 ml non tester for € 34.00 on sale + shipping; usual price: €45.00)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Overall rating: 8.61 / 10.00
- between 7 and 8 = above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recommended;
- greater than 9 = do not miss;

Recommendation: This is a very good elegant and unique fragrance and an unexpected good value for money choice due to its intrinsic quality and affordable price. It exudes masculinity and confidence. The average performance may be overcome by a couple of sprays on the clothes. As far as I'm concerned it's a must have for me. I do recommend it, even as a blind buy.

Music: Elton John - "Something about the way you look tonight"
Danskei
The perfect combination of individuality
This is my first comment.

I refer here to the "Eau Extréme" version, which is still in my possession, but unfortunately it is nearing its end. It's a pity, but on the other hand it shows me that I love to wear and have worn this fragrance.

As with probably many, memories, whether positive or rather negative, and experiences are often associated with a fragrance. Sometimes you like to remember it and sometimes you are happy when you no longer have to smell a perfume.

I'm new on this platform, but I'm very interested in perfume, so I've already tried a lot. Since I associate a lot of nice memories with this fragrance and I really wanted to write a comment, I chose this great stuff.

To the fragrance:

For me it starts resinous and oily immediately after spraying. So rather difficult, but not overwhelming in any way. Immediately afterwards a freshness is added. A citric freshness, pleasant and it blends very well with the initially resinous heaviness.

Lavender I perceive. At least it's my subjective perception. Since it was already mentioned in previous comments, I can only confirm this.
Precisely because I have been asked about lavender while wearing it. (In the positive sense.)

The process continues with a light powdery texture. No extremes, like Givenchy Gentleman EDP for example, but I find it very fitting. As the initial freshness has diminished and a resinous and floral fruitiness prevails, the powdery texture rounds off the whole thing very well. She simply does not let the scent appear too sweet and oppressive.

Furthermore I perceive lavender, light and that also the whole course.
(By the way, I also smell when I smell the bottle.)

Eventually it'll be chocolatey. When you think of chocolate, you could think of a damn sweet composition.
That's not so. For me it is a dry hearty and not too sweet cocoa, which despite the "dry" aroma does not smell dusty and old. On the contrary, it has a pleasantly fruity effect.
So I think that in this perfume, simply the combination of the individual ingredients was very well done. This makes everything present and yet each part merges into the other without outdoing each other.

In the end it becomes woody and warm and the powdery texture is gone.
A certain resinous fruitiness is retained. Also at this point, it is the wood which again creates the balance. Strangely enough, with the wood even a citric component sets in again.
However, this is also pleasantly warm and rather less fresh.

The drydown is pretty damn good on a date, by the way.

If I had to depict the scent it would be like this:

By and large I have a table in my head. A bloody expensive table. Real wood and no pressed stuff. The wood is still slightly resinous and on the table there are flowers with a pleasant scent.
I'm sitting at this one, drinking warm chocolate with a squirt of lemon. There's cake with it.
None of those cakes that give you a toothache just by looking at them.
No, a savory combination with fruit. The room in which the table is placed is well warmed up.

So much for the smell.

Durability is damn long and even after showering still noticeable.
For some it is a blessing, for others perhaps annoying. On clothes and pillows by the way almost infinite.
Sillage is simply super, it doesn't crush you and is still very present.

As described above, it is not unusual to associate experiences with a fragrance.
With me it was especially one in front of a doctor's office After I had left them, one of the doctor's assistants ran after me as far as the car and asked me to give her the name of the perfume. She and her colleagues found the scent simply fantastic and wanted to know it. It probably just filled the whole room. Which can be very annoying with many scents, but in this case it was very well received.

That's it for this scent.

Smells like Daddy!
This fragrance has a special effect on me, as this is one of the fragrances my late father liked to wear. With him L'instant always smelled very fresh and still appeared noble and mature and you always smelled a hint of oriental with it, that's probably due to the patchouli and sandalwood. He really never overdid it with the number of sprayers, but he was good smelling from far away. As I said, I find the fragrance mixture really great and varied and has a correspondingly varied depth. I can imagine this scent very well as an appetizing background to "sit on the terrace in the evening sun" but also at a business dinner or at an official event. As far as the shelf life is concerned, I can only say that on various day trips with my father, I could smell him in the morning and still perceive this freshness late in the afternoon. So really a very good durability! Maybe because of the biographical connection to this fragrance I am a little less critical or nostalgic, but no matter: I can
L'instant recommend only!
A good friend
L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme opens with a light, soft citrus accord, consisting of bergamot and citrus fruits, underlined with fresh black pepper dust. After a short time, star anise inexorably pushes itself into the foreground through the citrus scent cloud. A fragrance of salty liquorice is created, which can now always be perceived latently until the fragrance dries up. Gradually the liquorice undertone is reinforced by a dry, woody, lush cedar note. In addition, the fragrance gets a nice floral note through the use of sweet jasmine and hibiscus. A tiny hint of smoky tea and lavender dims the sweetness and rounds off the fragrance experience in this phase. With the appearance of cocoa beans, which fortunately are not very sweet and yet very nutty and chocolaty, the drying phase begins, in which the perfumer Béatrice Piquet has cleverly interwoven patchouli with a slightly earthy tendency, warm cocoa, sandalwood, and musk with green aspects. All components now seem to complement and reinforce each other in perfect harmony. After a long 8 hours, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme slowly fades on my skin and I feel a tendency to replenish, which I rarely do. The projection is arm-length throughout the entire wearing period and fits perfectly with the fragrance.
L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme has an excellent quality and is a valuable companion in cool weather for all occasions.
Thanks for reading it

Gatsby
AbracadIFRA and the magic disappeared
what a delicious, fine, exquisite this fragrance used yo be in the past... I wore it year by year, I was stunned about this inventive composition, so soft, yet strong and longevive, everyone used to ask me what is the name of this beautiful fragrance. Even thought the EDT was a bit soft in terms of sillage and longevity, the extreme version was, indeed, a masterpiece. The cocoa inside was to die for. It was similar with the KokoRico by JPG, minus the dirty note in the dry down. I tested again last year in Budapest... well, I had the felling I am sniffing a different perfume. It was hars, with a big gap in the dry down (missing notes?) and without any depth. I was disapointed and for sure, I will not buy again. Ther eis no magic in it anymore.
Morrissey
Too late metamorphosis ...
Having already made a statement about this fragrance, I felt a permanent urge to say a few more words about this extraordinary creation.

I belong to the members here in the forum who have never had more than five to a maximum of ten scents. For several years, only a single fragrance satisfied my perfume needs. This very beautiful forum sparked my interest in the variety of fragrances and, also because of the numerous eloquent and enthusiastic comments, made my first blind purchase of a perfume flacon:

L'Instant de Guerlain pH. What an interesting experience!

The fragrance starts with a variety of different fragrances. I perceive anise and something resinous, something citrus-like is also added. This start is my problem. It's too diffuse and uncomfortable for me. I'm not comfortable with this. The scents somehow don't fit together and create an aura, as if one had randomly poured numerous fragrances together that don't fit together.

After about one to two hours the miraculous metamorphosis begins. L'Instant develops slowly but powerfully into a perfect, high-quality gourmand. So I imagine liquid milk chocolate sprayed into the air while three cups of hot cocoa with cream stand on the table and smell.
Our most popular neurotransmitter (dopamine) is suddenly awakened and does its job well. After three hours, I love L'Instant. After another two to three hours, he says goodbye very quietly with a hint of patchouli that slowly melts the rest of the chocolate. At this stage he reminds a little of Herod. During this time you can also pamper your surroundings with a fragrance that would make Willy Wonka cheer.

Unfortunately the terrible beginning disturbs me so much that we both can't become close friends. I really wanted us to be happy together, it wasn't meant to be. It'll probably stick to rare encounters.

Oh yes, the bottle is quite boring, but has a reasonable sprayer.

So, I hope that I don't get too many "not helpful" clicks, then I might write a second comment soon here in the forum
THAT'S HIM!!!
A fragrance of a special kind, a fragrance you want to wear, a fragrance you simply can't find badly, a fragrance that goes everywhere and at all times, a fragrance that makes you special, a fragrance for which you get compliments, a fragrance that lasts forever, a fragrance for good money.

3,2,1, MINE

Absolutely Stunning!
Even though I was already in love with the EDT, the first time I tried this EDP version I was stunned! It was a decant from a 'new' bottle. Absolutely warm and beautifully sweet with a hint of citrus, cocao, and anise. Truly glorious interpretation for a flanker.

As soon as I finished my 10ml decant, I went around looking for this so called "holy-grail vintage bottle with black border" thing. And to be honest I've always been lucky in that department - finding discontinued stuff. I didn't even have to look much, I found a vintage tester for less than a current edition price. The first time I wore that one it was some other experience altogether. The anise and cocoa combination was very prominent in the beginning and there's a brilliant sandalwood accord-very deep and almost meditative, like the ones used for religious ceremonies in India. Doesn't smell like the new Sandalwood they use in perfumes these days. Then there's the beautiful neroli-tea-hibiscus-patchouli-jasmine accord - just like in the EDT probably a little rounder - on a warm, creamy, almost gourmand base of something ambery/resins, bitter-ish dry cocao and woods. Nothing in this perfume smells generic to me. It's extremely well crafted and made with top-notch ingredients. Performance is magnificent too. Even if you have the EDT this is totally worth having, in my opinion. Absolutely stunning!

I just totally love these old French perfume houses, like Guerlain. They just know their schitt! Respect.

10/10

p.s: After a couple of wears the vintage bottle smells just the same as the new bottle. So for those unable to find the vintage stuff - don't stress, it's the same juice.

A must!
L’Instant pour Homme by Guerlain is one of my favourite fragrances ever, and together with Dior Homme and a very limited few others, surely well represents the highest peak of recent contemporary perfumery for me (any perfumery, niche included). That kind of perfection which would make any flanker of it smell fantastic as wel, obviously provided the bone-structure remains the same. And in fact, this Extreme version is just as great as the original, to any extent. I neglected this for long thinking that it was only a more concentrated version of the original L’Instant, but now that I tried it, I realised it’s more than that (I know I’m ridicolously late on the party... better late than never, right?). It’s 95% L’Instant with the brightness knob turned down a little bit, and a 5% of anisic-cocoa boost. So it smells kind of darker, rounder, also woodier (especially on sandalwood) and a tad sweeter, shortly a bit more gourmand-ish than the original version, with a sort of younger feel all over. And it also feels bolder and understandably more powerful on skin. Sweeter and more powerful – now I see why this seems more popular among younger fans, if compared to classic L’Instant with its slightly more mature, musky, ephemeral and distinguished green-citrus vibe. But for once, dudes and bros are nailing it – this is some phenomenal scent as well. Different enough from classic L’Instant not to be redundant, great enough to make you want to own both. Brilliant.

8,5-9/10

Carlitos01Carlitos01 13 months ago
L'Instant is a Patchouli-Cocoa elixir. Subtle but strong! Strong but discrete! Discrete but noticeable! Noticeable but classy! Recommended!
Jazzy76Jazzy76 16 months ago
The magic of a warm, spicy and very refined gem in its multifaceted squared bottle . Sexy and classy. Wonderful sillage on my skin too.
ToreterToreter 2 years ago
Wearing today "eau extreme" from 2007. Citrus, anise in a balsamic elemi, evolves into a mild sweet cocoa (not powdry) anise mix. NICE!¡¡¡¡
Giesta40Giesta40 3 years ago
Anised cocao and a hint of citrus. Amazing scent for winter days. Aromatherapy for chocolate lovers!

by Glosoli
by Carlitos01
by Carlitos01
by Tecon
by Tecon
L´Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extrême von Guerlain - langer Name, kurze Beschreibung: Schoooooooki :)
by Taka
by Romancenk
by XDiable
by XDiable

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Cologne) by Guerlain