L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme 2004 Eau de Toilette

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain
Top 45 in Men's Perfume
L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for men and was released in 2004. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesStar aniseStar anise BergamotBergamot GrapefruitGrapefruit JasmineJasmine LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesLavenderLavender SandalwoodSandalwood TeaTea CedarCedar
Base Notes Base NotesHibiscus seedHibiscus seed MuskMusk CocoaCocoa PatchouliPatchouli

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 28.04.2022.

And again one
With most fragrances here, or the fragrance reviews that I read, I can always fully agree.
But here it behaves a little differently. It is always written of chocolate scent, gourmandig etc., but with me this fragrance is completely different.

It is true that here anise, bergamot and lemon are to smell at the beginning, (the combination I find great) but from chocolate comes with me nothing, but also so nothing at all. What I personally find good,
i do not have to have sweet scents - although in autumn and winter time - does not hurt so a little cocoa, gelle ;-)

Sandalwood, cedar and patchouli are present in good measure, so once again I am totally flashed by this Guerlain. Tz tz , I thought I had already found the ultimate fragrance with Heritage, but as it seems, the journey is not over yet, who would have thought?! (Smirk ;-) )

It's not a tart masculine perfume, but it's not a sweet gourmand scent either, more like in between,
oriental-woody.

Anyway, this is another one I had to have and now have (I'm only talking about the EdT here, the current version), where is this going to go, and when is this ever going to end, sigh?

The durability I also find exceptional, the holds with me so about 3 hours. That's already a lot, because most fragrances evaporate with me after 1-2 h (that's why I have' always so many, I simply NEED) ;-)

For me, this is an elegant, extraordinary, masterfully "concocted" (no offense) fragrance that is well wearable in autumn and winter, and even if you use several sprays he is not overdosed.

Carlitos01
An instant for comfort and happyness
Our choice of partner can be largely guided by our sense of smell. Our personal tastes and culture can also influence us. Humans do not have a functional organ responsible for the absorption of pheromones. Unlike animals, humans do not depend on smell for close interaction. Men and women can be attracted to different smells. It really depends mainly on the preferences of each person. However, there are reactions to gender-related smells. As an example of group behavior, most men are particularly attracted to lilies of the valley and freshly squeezed orange notes, as opposed to accords of chocolate and baby powder. Women respond well to vetiver and other earthy notes. In addition, it was discovered that fresh jasmine stimulates the female brain in the specific area responsible for releasing sexual pheromones. However, I believe that any professional perfume manufacturer is well aware of these types of facts.
I confess that I like to receive praise from other people, preferably from women. However, my main criterion for buying a perfume is to like it. I don't have a favorite type of fragrance. I admit that I like oriental woody and resinous fragrances. But my entrance gate is wide enough to let in a good fougère, a delicious chypre, or even fresh citrus. I only think twice with floral or aquatic scents.

Guerlain L'Instant belongs to a group of personal perfumes that I mentally qualify as a pleasure generator for me. It is neither a perfume to draw attention in public, nor a magnet for female attraction. But it transfers an aura of "I feel fine". It gives me well-being and transmits it to the people around me. L'Instant can be an extraordinary therapist for a lot more than just an instant. It simply places you instantly at the center of your life.
The fragrance is woody, spicy, and a little sweet. At first glance, the power citrus power is impressive. I notice a lite and resinous aura together with a sweet and satisfying note of anise. As this first wave slowly dissipates, nuances of patchouli with lavender and white flowers emerge. The scent becomes captivating, manly, and elegant. After this agitated evolution, L'Instant enters a calmer phase, revealing dark and greasy cocoa. The woody notes appear in the form of austere cedar and creamy sandalwood, tangled with heavy and complex patchouli. This soft and warm base extends through the dryness, conveying a firm and secure masculinity.
L'Instant is not a performance star. Longevity is slightly above average, silage is moderate, and projection is poor. I would probably expect a little more breath from this star fragrance, but its undisputed elegance probably requires this kind of moderation.
I have both the oldest square bottle and the newer taller bottle. I can't detect any difference in smell or behavior between the two versions, but I like the shape of the old bottle better.

Let's spend a moment evaluating comfort in numbers.
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Opening: 9.0 (noticeably aniseed and citrus mixture)
DryDown: 10.0 (divine bitter cocoa and strong patchouli)
Longevity: 8.0 (3 good sprays can last up to 7 ~ 8 hours)
Sillage: 7.0 (up to 5 feet in the top with 3 sprays; projects for less than 2.0 hours)
Exclusivity: 10.0 (It has its own DNA and individuality; I don't remember any similar fragrance)
Portability: 8.5 (A three-season fragrance for outside or inside, day or night; avoid the hot summer days)
Versatility: 8.5 (A very easy-to-wear and comfortable fragrance; excellent for everyday or office wear; forget about sport and the sea)
Praise: 8.0 (You will smell good to everyone and people will respect you)
Quality: 9.0 (ingredients of above-average quality, solid bottle, nice sprayer; I take 1 point for the only average performance)
Presentation: 7.5 (classification for the new bottle; simple, effective, and practically identical to many other bottles. I prefer the old bottle)
Price: 9.0 (EdT 100 ml for € 30.00 on sale + shipping; the usual retail price is € 40.00 ~ € 45.00)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Overall rating: 8.58 / 10.00
- between 7 and 8 = above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recommended;
- greater than 9 = don't miss it;

Recommendation: This is a very elegant and unique fragrance. It is unexpectedly good value for money with its quality and affordable price. It exudes masculinity, self-confidence, and well-being. Average performance can be treated with a few sprays on clothing. For me, it is a must-own. I also recommend it as a blind purchase.

Music: Pink Floyd - "Comfortably Numb"

Guerlain L'instant EDT
I enjoy the opening which has a nice sparkle and fizz with the Star Anise. And a fruity Grapefruit which is pungent and pleasant. Then it settles into a creamy mid where the Sandalwood and tea are most prominent with a lavender undertone. After it evolves into a powdery sweet light chocolate. Then the dry down with Patchouli and Smoke. I love the earthy Patchouli that gives the scent a tart, bone dryness. But the smoke I'm not so keen on. It's a very smooth blend overall though. Average sillage and Longevity.
My favorite scent
For the first time I came into contact with L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme already a few years ago, in the meantime I have taken my fourth bottle of it in possession. There will be more, I'm sure.

About the fragrance components is already written a lot - try out is the motto, if you are unsure. Fragrances are unfortunately difficult to capture in text form due to their fleeting nature.

I wear it mostly in autumn / winter, because the fragrance just fits well with the cooler season. And I like him just very special, he smells elegant and calm. And as EdT also not so extremely strong, but just right. I generally wear fragrances not to get compliments from other women, but to smell pleasant myself. A good fragrance belongs to the man like a reasonable mechanical wristwatch.

My wife also likes him, because despite EdT the durability is so good that I still smell subtle in the evening after work. I like that too: it has depth and does not simply flatten. A fragrance that makes the day reasonably, that has something.

Clear recommendation on my part, although it is certainly not a fragrance for everyone. For me, the EdT is enough, because I do not like to apply thick. It is my absolute favorite fragrance and I look forward every year again to the fall, when I "may" apply it again. Because the cocoa fits just great from November

The distinguished gentleman
A smoky opening that lands gracefully onto a bed of cacao and patchouli, with tea and spice in the background. This is soothing, pure comfort.
It doesn't scream for attention. It's subtle, close to the skin, but it will last all day. Control yourself and resist to respraying. Quality over quantity.
To me this is perfection: Classy, seductive yet modest.
Stefanoleng
Patek Philippe of the perfume world
A well-known German perfume Youtuber once called Guerlain the Patek Philippe of the perfume world. I find this comparison very fitting. Both names stand for a long tradition and high craftsmanship. I wore L Ìnstant when it first came on the market in 2004/2005, but now I have rediscovered it and I am thrilled once again. Unfortunately, Guerlain no longer has the old flacon in its range. The old bottle was in a beautiful Art Deco design. It is a great pity for Guerlain that you have discontinued this one. A very unique and impressive men's fragrance. Elegant and very easy to like. A perfect composition. Niche quality! Not without reason is the fragrance so high up in the top rated fragrances at Parfumo. Besides, the fragrance is not too mainstream. In my collection LÌnstant is surprisingly the fragrance for which I have received the most compliments. Unfortunately the durability is not too good. I have seen that there is also an EDP version. I will get this when I have applied the EDT. This will probably not take long. At the moment I wear the scent almost every day with growing enthusiasm

Masculine beauty
A modern and also fastidious fragrance for gentlemen, suitable almost all year round (well, maybe except hot days of summer), beautifully evolving on skin and keeping you constantly amazed. It has all the way that guerlinade signature, that sensual je-ne-sais-quoi which makes wonders on your senses and others nostrils.
This creation has everything I could demand from a fragrance: complex evolution - from bitter-citrus top, going through hibiscus tea and smooth flowers, ending into dusty cocoa sweet woody dry-down- wow factor from ladies, is pretty long lasting, has good projection, elegance and modernism.
My humble rank 9.0/10. Highly recommended.
CalisThenx
Would you like some tea with chocolate?!
How do I start?

When I entered the perfume world a few months ago, Guerlain was one of the few brands that told me something, even without me having any idea about these oh-so-beautiful fragrances. My girlfriend is also very fond of the Guerlain company and knows about the high quality of the products, because she has cosmetics from them herself.

Let's get down to business. I have read a lot about this fragrance, it should probably smell like a mixture of tea and dark chocolate and that sounded like a perfect mixture to me. And the dark chocolate, I've only just come to that. A few years ago I told my father how he can only eat something so bitter and now I'm a total fan of it myself. This soft melting chocolate that spreads on the tongue and immediately raises my serotonin level. Of course only the 85%, nothing goes below that
And it is exactly these two notes that emerge here so strongly and merge delicately into each other. The aniseed adds to this and makes the whole thing a bit spicier But again to the tea, I drink cheap tea because my money goes on perfumes and house plants. But the tea in here is a very high quality green Matcha tea from Japan, which contains everything a tea should contain.

Since I jumped right to the heart note in the introduction, we come back to the top note, which is slightly acidic but also fresh, thanks to the bergamot and grapefruit. This freshness remains throughout the whole process and the mix of the fresh, bitter and slightly sweet makes this masterpiece good for the whole year
I for my part love this liquid gold and I am glad that it is in my cupboard
Guerlain knows his craft, absolutely timeless this little piece of art.
Winter-Freshy!
Yes, I like fresh scents or those that have a certain freshness. But at least in the cold season you reach a certain limit that seems insurmountable. In the autumn as well as in the winter you usually like it a bit heavier and more expansive. You can get a nice oud smell that foggy the surroundings. For those who find it too overwhelming, the question now is: "What do I wear in the cold season?" I have searched for a long time and my winter freshy's are rare, but now I have found my no. 1, which I still wear in summer. It means "L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme" from the house of Guerlain.

Why is he a Freshy?

Of course, it is not a classic freshy, as you wear it in midsummer, it rather has its own, slightly sour freshness. First of all we can state that cocoa is the main theme of the fragrance. Here the first associations are mostly that it is certainly quite sweet, which can be denied immediately. The cocoa is like freshly prepared, unsweetened and quite dry. At the beginning, the Guerlain is even quite citrusy and tangy, which is due to grapefruit and lemon. They make sure that the heavy fragrances get a certain lightness and the cocoa gets a sour freshness. The cedar in the heart note, on the other hand, ensures that the cocoa scent is not only fresh, but also tart and masculine at the same time. Here, comparisons can be made with Kilian's "Intoxicated", which produces the same effect only with coffee as the main player. In summary, it is the interplay of citric, cocoa and the tart cedar that creates a rather fresh scent for the cold season.

How awesome is the drydown????
Yeah, what else is there to write, the drydown is to kneel down. What remains after a few hours is a soft, tangy-fresh and at the same time indefinable veil, which looks so sensual that one would like to bite into it. Seductively high10 I only say that I don't have a fragrance that comes close to this one in drydown, so you count the hours until the fragrance finally fades. Here no fragrance component is too dominant anymore, everything seems to flow perfectly into each other, wonderful!

Durable?
The question is always whether to go for EdT or EdP, especially in terms of durability. Here I can clearly say that it's the same for both fragrances, but the EdP is a bit heavier and doesn't have the freshness kick described above, so I will always go for the EdT. It lasts for about 8 hours and radiates well in the first two hours. This is enough for me :)

Bottom line!
So those who cannot do without freshness even in the colder days could get their money's worth here. Gueralain has succeeded in creating a scent that has cocoa in the centre and does not drift into the immeasurable sweetness. On the other hand, citric and the tart "dryness" of the cedar ensure that a fresh touch in general adheres and spreads. For me, this is my No. 1 winter freshness, which I can also wear today - in summer!

Classic Guerlain au Chocolat
A gentle, lemon opening that is shrouded in powdery chocolate. Faint notes of tea and florals are fleeting before settling down to a patchouli cacao base.

Wafts of the sillage are conservatively pleasant and the longevity remands for a few hours on this classy, not too sweet gourmand. I find it more complex compared to the EDP.

Reminds me of being at a sidewalk cafe on a brisk autumn day.

Lmr4j3ireLmr4j3ire 5 months ago
Bit earthy but sweet cococa/chocolate, star anise and lemon. Smells fantastic, but sadly it performs weak. What a pity...
JFP26JFP26 1 year ago
Elegant and sophisticated. Fresh yet sweet. On the base a gorgeous blend of cocoa and patch. Best for warm to mild weather use. Great scent!
Amine1989Amine1989 2 years ago
Wonderfull fragrance i wear it in all seasons its so good, u can blind buy this you can't go wrong with it , the cacao is so good
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
L'Instant was my first Guerlain and still rocks my preferences as a citrus-cocoa-patchouli potion. Very comfortable, elegant, and classy!
BhugoBhugo 3 years ago
Terrible longevity and sillage for me. Maybe the reformulation is weak, I wish I hadn’t bought this. Smells great, for an hour or so......

Águas de março
by Anarlan
When things come to a rest.
by Anarlan
by Couchlock
by JB89
by JB89

Popular by Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Shalimar Millésime Vanilla Planifolia by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain Derby (1985) (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain