L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme 2004Eau de Toilette

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain
Top 33 in Men's Perfume
L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for men and was released in 2004. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesStar anise, Bergamot, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesLavender, Sandalwood, Tea, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesHibiscus seed, Musk, Cocoa, Patchouli

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 22.11.2020.

Stefanoleng
Patek Philippe of the perfume world
A well-known German perfume Youtuber once called Guerlain the Patek Philippe of the perfume world. I find this comparison very fitting. Both names stand for a long tradition and high craftsmanship. I wore L Ìnstant when it first came on the market in 2004/2005, but now I have rediscovered it and I am thrilled once again. Unfortunately, Guerlain no longer has the old flacon in its range. The old bottle was in a beautiful Art Deco design. It is a great pity for Guerlain that you have discontinued this one. A very unique and impressive men's fragrance. Elegant and very easy to like. A perfect composition. Niche quality! Not without reason is the fragrance so high up in the top rated fragrances at Parfumo. Besides, the fragrance is not too mainstream. In my collection LÌnstant is surprisingly the fragrance for which I have received the most compliments. Unfortunately the durability is not too good. I have seen that there is also an EDP version. I will get this when I have applied the EDT. This will probably not take long. At the moment I wear the scent almost every day with growing enthusiasm

Masculine beauty
A modern and also fastidious fragrance for gentlemen, suitable almost all year round (well, maybe except hot days of summer), beautifully evolving on skin and keeping you constantly amazed. It has all the way that guerlinade signature, that sensual je-ne-sais-quoi which makes wonders on your senses and others nostrils.
This creation has everything I could demand from a fragrance: complex evolution - from bitter-citrus top, going through hibiscus tea and smooth flowers, ending into dusty cocoa sweet woody dry-down- wow factor from ladies, is pretty long lasting, has good projection, elegance and modernism.
My humble rank 9.0/10. Highly recommended.
CalisThenx
Would you like some tea with chocolate?!
How do I start?

When I entered the perfume world a few months ago, Guerlain was one of the few brands that told me something, even without me having any idea about these oh-so-beautiful fragrances. My girlfriend is also very fond of the Guerlain company and knows about the high quality of the products, because she has cosmetics from them herself.

Let's get down to business. I have read a lot about this fragrance, it should probably smell like a mixture of tea and dark chocolate and that sounded like a perfect mixture to me. And the dark chocolate, I've only just come to that. A few years ago I told my father how he can only eat something so bitter and now I'm a total fan of it myself. This soft melting chocolate that spreads on the tongue and immediately raises my serotonin level. Of course only the 85%, nothing goes below that
And it is exactly these two notes that emerge here so strongly and merge delicately into each other. The aniseed adds to this and makes the whole thing a bit spicier But again to the tea, I drink cheap tea because my money goes on perfumes and house plants. But the tea in here is a very high quality green Matcha tea from Japan, which contains everything a tea should contain.

Since I jumped right to the heart note in the introduction, we come back to the top note, which is slightly acidic but also fresh, thanks to the bergamot and grapefruit. This freshness remains throughout the whole process and the mix of the fresh, bitter and slightly sweet makes this masterpiece good for the whole year
I for my part love this liquid gold and I am glad that it is in my cupboard
Guerlain knows his craft, absolutely timeless this little piece of art.
Winter-Freshy!
Yes, I like fresh scents or those that have a certain freshness. But at least in the cold season you reach a certain limit that seems insurmountable. In the autumn as well as in the winter you usually like it a bit heavier and more expansive. You can get a nice oud smell that foggy the surroundings. For those who find it too overwhelming, the question now is: "What do I wear in the cold season?" I have searched for a long time and my winter freshy's are rare, but now I have found my no. 1, which I still wear in summer. It means "L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme" from the house of Guerlain.

Why is he a Freshy?

Of course, it is not a classic freshy, as you wear it in midsummer, it rather has its own, slightly sour freshness. First of all we can state that cocoa is the main theme of the fragrance. Here the first associations are mostly that it is certainly quite sweet, which can be denied immediately. The cocoa is like freshly prepared, unsweetened and quite dry. At the beginning, the Guerlain is even quite citrusy and tangy, which is due to grapefruit and lemon. They make sure that the heavy fragrances get a certain lightness and the cocoa gets a sour freshness. The cedar in the heart note, on the other hand, ensures that the cocoa scent is not only fresh, but also tart and masculine at the same time. Here, comparisons can be made with Kilian's "Intoxicated", which produces the same effect only with coffee as the main player. In summary, it is the interplay of citric, cocoa and the tart cedar that creates a rather fresh scent for the cold season.

How awesome is the drydown????
Yeah, what else is there to write, the drydown is to kneel down. What remains after a few hours is a soft, tangy-fresh and at the same time indefinable veil, which looks so sensual that one would like to bite into it. Seductively high10 I only say that I don't have a fragrance that comes close to this one in drydown, so you count the hours until the fragrance finally fades. Here no fragrance component is too dominant anymore, everything seems to flow perfectly into each other, wonderful!

Durable?
The question is always whether to go for EdT or EdP, especially in terms of durability. Here I can clearly say that it's the same for both fragrances, but the EdP is a bit heavier and doesn't have the freshness kick described above, so I will always go for the EdT. It lasts for about 8 hours and radiates well in the first two hours. This is enough for me :)

Bottom line!
So those who cannot do without freshness even in the colder days could get their money's worth here. Gueralain has succeeded in creating a scent that has cocoa in the centre and does not drift into the immeasurable sweetness. On the other hand, citric and the tart "dryness" of the cedar ensure that a fresh touch in general adheres and spreads. For me, this is my No. 1 winter freshness, which I can also wear today - in summer!

Classic Guerlain au Chocolat
A gentle, lemon opening that is shrouded in powdery chocolate. Faint notes of tea and florals are fleeting before settling down to a patchouli cacao base.

Wafts of the sillage are conservatively pleasant and the longevity remands for a few hours on this classy, not too sweet gourmand. I find it more complex compared to the EDP.

Reminds me of being at a sidewalk cafe on a brisk autumn day.
DerDefcon
Chocolate sensuality in places of olfactory and human discomfort.
Today I would like to share with you one of my perfumery visits, which have become very rare. Some peculiarity, some curiosity always occurs with these, that is certain. There is the obligatory frequent sprayer, which always reminds me to take the respirator mask of my great-great-great-grandfather with me on my next visit to such a shop. Furthermore, there are the experts who distribute heaps of test strips on the floor and on the shelves because they are denied garbage cans either because of ambroxane-based sensory opacity or simply because of a lack of education. But maybe both of these things just come together here.
In addition, we also find the large groups of friends who strategically position themselves in front of the big shelf of bestsellers in such a way that nobody but they themselves can reach it - according to the motto: First me, then me, then me again ... then you ... although, I, I, I, I.

I allowed myself this motto during my visit to the perfumery as an exception. Don't worry, I didn't bother a fellow human being by recklessly spraying around, penetrating shouting around to express "HOW HORIZY" this one fragrance smells, or by annoying blocking of shelves.
I'm after a very specific product carrier in that store. It was the one that presented fragrances from "Guerlain" and was located in a much less frequented shop area. Here I had my peace of mind and was also out of reach of ruthless combat sprayers who can ruin entire olfactory tests and who have already in the past - albeit unintentionally - spread weapon-licensed scent combinations on my coat. You don't want to know how the combination of "Joop Homme" and "Dior Homme Intense" smells - no - you don't want to. This is layering, which is likely to violate the Geneva Convention.

Well, enough of that.

So I was at Guerlain's goods carrier and knew immediately what I wanted to test. To my astonishment, both the eau de toilette and the eau de parfum of "L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme" were presented, which in my experience is extremely rare. Up to now, I have actually only ever found the eau de toilette in shops.
Great, so you can make it difficult even for me, who entered the shop so determined and safe. After a short pause I reached for the eau de toilette and sniffed at the atomizer. But the eau de parfum continued to stare at me out of the corner of my eye and so I couldn't help myself and also took an olfactory test on its atomizer. Even this superficial test revealed that we are dealing with a much denser, probably much heavier candidate. But I put it back on the shelf and dedicated myself to the lighter eau de toilette.

On the positive side, by the way, I was asked by a very nice employee if I could be helped, whereupon she immediately added that I look as if I know what I am looking for. Should I still have a question, they are always available to answer it. It was a very pleasant experience, which made me, as someone who also comes from the retail trade, feel a little bit of a kick in the pants. After all, you don't experience something like that every day and finally such a statement can inevitably be considered a compliment.

Well - maybe a little influenced by the nice manner of the shop assistant - I sprayed the eau de toilette three times on my neck. A small part might have landed in the air, but I was there all alone in "my" Guerlain corner. I omitted the paper strip test that actually belongs to it, true to the motto "all or nothing". Well, well, well... i'm honest. In order to get to a paper strip, I would have had to enter "enemy territory", i.e. that of the combat sprayer squadron, which so slowly discovered the Tom Ford corner and thus also "Black Orchid (Eau de Parfum)" for itself. How lucky I was far enough away.

After only a few seconds of spraying, I was surrounded by a balsamic-soft and, above all, extremely authentic star anise note, which seemed a little old-fashioned, but which did not cause any discomfort or a "this doesn't fit me" feeling in me. Now it was time to find a safe way out, so that the Sillage crackers already sprayed in the shop would not destroy my beautiful Guerlain. It is not loud - I can already anticipate that - and that is a good thing, because I am looking for something for everyday life that is spicy and not too sweet to decorate my skin.

Having found the safe way out, I already had a slight hint of dark chocolate in my eyes. This was the cocoa that appeared very airy and transparent due to star anise and was not sweet at all - dark chocolate, but not just any chocolate, but a very high quality one.
With the addition of the patchouli, in this case neither herbaceous nor earthy-scented, a note reminiscent of milk chocolate was added - creamy and light, but by no means over-sweetened. Probably, the combination of dark cocoa and light milk chocolate will produce exactly the right scent, which is neither too tart nor too sweet. This is the golden mean to me As the fragrance progressed, I heard a good shot of additional creaminess, which may have been due to the sandalwood. "L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette)" reminds you, as some of you have already described it, of melted fine chocolate that has the optimum cocoa content. Fortunately, this chocolate does not communicate itself to its surroundings permanently and too aggressively. The eau de parfum should behave differently here, but this is only an assumption on my part, since I have not yet come to a comprehensive test. You are welcome to share your experiences, if you have any, in the comments. I am curious and many others probably are too.

Finally, a short appeal:

Please, dear perfumery owners, store managers and employees, make sure that your Guerlain warriors are as far away as possible from the door area where the Spontaneous and Combat Sprayers try to defend their habitat with chemical warfare, if this is in accordance with your instructions. The guerlains in the tall bottles have, without exception, delighted me so far with their sensuality - be it "Héritage (Eau de Parfum), "Guerlain Homme (Eau de Parfum)" or now also "L'Instant de Guerlain pour homme (Eau de Parfum)". This sensuality is too beautiful to let others destroy it. For your own protection, you are welcome to keep this range of fragrances at the bottom of the shelf, so that not everyone can see them. I as a perfumo will find them anyway, as we all here in this forum

Pure Bottled Class
This fragrance doesn't need much literature, because it's something really clear and simple:

- A masterpiece of olfactory art.

You know that many great creations need an acquired taste to understand them... This is not the case:

"L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme" is brilliant and it's obvious, even if you are an orc and live in a cave. Of course, everyone has their own preferences and may want to wear it or not, but there are things that have no discussion possible.

This EDT has a sweet citric accord (especially lemon) blended to perfection with anise, elemi, tea and hibiscus... and gentle acquires elegant floral notes of jasmine, and woody nuances coming from sandalwood. Patchouli and Cacao complete the composition, in a beautiful aromatic symphony that evolves with boldness.

- Longevity: 8h+/-.

- Projection: Moderate: It surrounds you with an aura of sophisticated and inviting aroma, leaving a soft and gentle scent trail.

This fragrance is a lesson in elegance and etiquette: It's perfectly gallant, and seduces without screaming for attention.

- Mood: A perfect scent for a gentleman of any kind.

- Scenario & Occasions: Always. But ideally, when you want to be immersed in a light breeze of pure class, witch at the same time, is inevitable seductive.
L'instant de Guerlain
L'Instant is a solid oriental fragrance that starts well. The best thing is to like the base note, which unfortunately appears very quickly. It seems to lose all its notes quite quickly, with the exception of that very base, and what distinguishes it from other oriental scents is the cocoa pod. It gives it an almost sensual quality, since the cocoa pod has a scent similar to baker's chocolate. The sweetness of L'Instant comes from the sandalwood, while the cocoa pod has a very dry, chocolaty feel. When I first became aware of cocoa, it was very similar to iris for me, and although they do not have the same note profiles, there are some slight similarities between this and Dior Homme (2005). It's a very nice fragrance, but it runs out too fast which is my main problem at the same time.
Skills0401
The bearable lightness of being
It is just a cold, occasionally humid spring morning in Vienna - the 6 degrees correspond for me to the perfect temperature for the l'Instant EDT and the mood is also just crying for a comment.

With this perfume, Guerlain has succeeded in creating a fragrance for colder seasons that is strong enough to stand up well at low temperatures, but also retains a certain lightness throughout the entire process - unlike the EDP, which is a bit too opulent (and old) for me.

This lightness comes to me, however, only after the top notes have been overcome, which I find a little too old-fashioned - the mixture of clear anise, lemon and jasmine reminds me of the apartment of a great aunt unfortunately, hence the not quite so high rating. It takes about 30-45 minutes until the heart note and thus the highlight of the fragrance comes to the fore. This wonderful blend of cocoa notes and patchouli, lightly supported by lavender, which is so uniquely natural and airy and which I have to sniff over and over again throughout the day, exudes a certain grandeur which is difficult to describe - you know that the scent is special and emerges from the mass without being a ramp sow. Noble understatement. This highlight then remains clearly perceptible for 4-5 hours before l'Instant says goodbye slowly and just as reservedly, whereby I can hardly smell the base notes given here.

The Sillage is well done for me - perceptible, but with the right dosage at no time obtrusive. I think it's a shame about the old bottle, which was much more independent - the new ones are simple and nice, but not more than that.

Six degrees in Vienna - hopefully there won't be too many such days this spring. But when I do, I enjoy the Instants de Guerlain, which make this fragrance so special.
Chevalier
We rarely think of what we have, but always of what we lack. Arthur Schopenhauer
This moment from before was long gone and I always saw this Guerlain over and over again. I thought he was really good, but somehow that was all. Afterwards surely tried over a hundred other fragrances and at some point got over the stronger moment of the perfume and thought, this is now the end of the flagpole. Then after thirteen years about once again this work of Mme Piquet stumbled and noticed how ingenious this fragrance really is.
Such a firework in the opening can only this Guerlain, of course with the obligatory Guerlinade, i.e. the vanilla background with the fruit taste. Unfortunately the perfumer died already in 2010 and could not deliver any more such works of art. Why work of art? I know little to no fragrances that deliver this performance for such a long time. The scent is still clearly recognizable even after six or seven hours. The Sillage has come a bit closer to the own body, but this basic essence which is still working is as already mentioned an art. The sad thing with many products which are not from Guerlain is the performance which disappeared after a few hours. Guerlain is not a niche player, yet it always offers a remarkable performance in its price-performance world.
There are still Clarins and Versace products that also belong to the better performers in the Sillage. Otherwise, unfortunately, there is relative drought with the numerous fragrances in the similar segment.
The sandalwood in this Linstant is very pleasant after a while and the change from an initially chypre-like impression to a real woody moment. The strength of the wood is extremely pleasant. The grapefruit and lemon disappear completely and the wood determines the finish. I can hardly recognize cocoa, rather patchouli pushes itself into the foreground with the woody one. It stays that way after six to seven hours, after which it's slowly over.
That's why you can buy your brother as a perfume, but he can't be compared because his cocoa-like dominance makes you forget everything about this perfume.
Absolute recommendation for the upcoming spring and summer.
We rarely think of what we have, but always of what we lack.

Amine1989Amine1989 4 months ago
Wonderfull fragrance i wear it in all seasons its so good, u can blind buy this you can't go wrong with it , the cacao is so good
Carlitos01Carlitos01 10 months ago
L'Instant has been my first Guerlain and still rocks my preferences. A patchouli-cocoa musky bomb. Extremely alluring, elegant and classy!
BhugoBhugo 2 years ago
Terrible longevity and sillage for me. Maybe the reformulation is weak, I wish I hadn’t bought this. Smells great, for an hour or so......

by Integral
by Couchlock
by JB89
by JB89

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain Derby (1985) (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain