L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (2004)Eau de Toilette

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain

Top 24 in Men's Perfume
L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for men and was released in 2004. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesStar anise, Bergamot, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesLavender, Sandalwood, Tea, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesHibiscus seed, Musk, Cocoa, Patchouli

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 21.05.2020.

Classic Guerlain au Chocolat
A gentle, lemon opening that is shrouded in powdery chocolate. Faint notes of tea and florals are fleeting before settling down to a patchouli cacao base.

Wafts of the sillage are conservatively pleasant and the longevity remands for a few hours on this classy, not too sweet gourmand. I find it more complex compared to the EDP.

Reminds me of being at a sidewalk cafe on a brisk autumn day.
DerDefcon
Chocolate sensuality in places of olfactory and human discomfort.
Today I would like to share with you one of my perfumery visits, which have become very rare. Some peculiarity, some curiosity always occurs with these, that is certain. There is the obligatory frequent sprayer, which always reminds me to take the respirator mask of my great-great-great-grandfather with me on my next visit to such a shop. Furthermore, there are the experts who distribute heaps of test strips on the floor and on the shelves because they are denied garbage cans either because of ambroxane-based sensory opacity or simply because of a lack of education. But maybe both of these things just come together here.
In addition, we also find the large groups of friends who strategically position themselves in front of the big shelf of bestsellers in such a way that nobody but they themselves can reach it - according to the motto: First me, then me, then me again ... then you ... although, I, I, I, I.

I allowed myself this motto during my visit to the perfumery as an exception. Don't worry, I didn't bother a fellow human being by recklessly spraying around, penetrating shouting around to express "HOW HORIZY" this one fragrance smells, or by annoying blocking of shelves.
I'm after a very specific product carrier in that store. It was the one that presented fragrances from "Guerlain" and was located in a much less frequented shop area. Here I had my peace of mind and was also out of reach of ruthless combat sprayers who can ruin entire olfactory tests and who have already in the past - albeit unintentionally - spread weapon-licensed scent combinations on my coat. You don't want to know how the combination of "Joop Homme" and "Dior Homme Intense" smells - no - you don't want to. This is layering, which is likely to violate the Geneva Convention.

Well, enough of that.

So I was at Guerlain's goods carrier and knew immediately what I wanted to test. To my astonishment, both the eau de toilette and the eau de parfum of "L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme" were presented, which in my experience is extremely rare. Up to now, I have actually only ever found the eau de toilette in shops.
Great, so you can make it difficult even for me, who entered the shop so determined and safe. After a short pause I reached for the eau de toilette and sniffed at the atomizer. But the eau de parfum continued to stare at me out of the corner of my eye and so I couldn't help myself and also took an olfactory test on its atomizer. Even this superficial test revealed that we are dealing with a much denser, probably much heavier candidate. But I put it back on the shelf and dedicated myself to the lighter eau de toilette.

On the positive side, by the way, I was asked by a very nice employee if I could be helped, whereupon she immediately added that I look as if I know what I am looking for. Should I still have a question, they are always available to answer it. It was a very pleasant experience, which made me, as someone who also comes from the retail trade, feel a little bit of a kick in the pants. After all, you don't experience something like that every day and finally such a statement can inevitably be considered a compliment.

Well - maybe a little influenced by the nice manner of the shop assistant - I sprayed the eau de toilette three times on my neck. A small part might have landed in the air, but I was there all alone in "my" Guerlain corner. I omitted the paper strip test that actually belongs to it, true to the motto "all or nothing". Well, well, well... i'm honest. In order to get to a paper strip, I would have had to enter "enemy territory", i.e. that of the combat sprayer squadron, which so slowly discovered the Tom Ford corner and thus also "Black Orchid (Eau de Parfum)" for itself. How lucky I was far enough away.

After only a few seconds of spraying, I was surrounded by a balsamic-soft and, above all, extremely authentic star anise note, which seemed a little old-fashioned, but which did not cause any discomfort or a "this doesn't fit me" feeling in me. Now it was time to find a safe way out, so that the Sillage crackers already sprayed in the shop would not destroy my beautiful Guerlain. It is not loud - I can already anticipate that - and that is a good thing, because I am looking for something for everyday life that is spicy and not too sweet to decorate my skin.

Having found the safe way out, I already had a slight hint of dark chocolate in my eyes. This was the cocoa that appeared very airy and transparent due to star anise and was not sweet at all - dark chocolate, but not just any chocolate, but a very high quality one.
With the addition of the patchouli, in this case neither herbaceous nor earthy-scented, a note reminiscent of milk chocolate was added - creamy and light, but by no means over-sweetened. Probably, the combination of dark cocoa and light milk chocolate will produce exactly the right scent, which is neither too tart nor too sweet. This is the golden mean to me As the fragrance progressed, I heard a good shot of additional creaminess, which may have been due to the sandalwood. "L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette)" reminds you, as some of you have already described it, of melted fine chocolate that has the optimum cocoa content. Fortunately, this chocolate does not communicate itself to its surroundings permanently and too aggressively. The eau de parfum should behave differently here, but this is only an assumption on my part, since I have not yet come to a comprehensive test. You are welcome to share your experiences, if you have any, in the comments. I am curious and many others probably are too.

Finally, a short appeal:

Please, dear perfumery owners, store managers and employees, make sure that your Guerlain warriors are as far away as possible from the door area where the Spontaneous and Combat Sprayers try to defend their habitat with chemical warfare, if this is in accordance with your instructions. The guerlains in the tall bottles have, without exception, delighted me so far with their sensuality - be it "Héritage (Eau de Parfum), "Guerlain Homme (Eau de Parfum)" or now also "L'Instant de Guerlain pour homme (Eau de Parfum)". This sensuality is too beautiful to let others destroy it. For your own protection, you are welcome to keep this range of fragrances at the bottom of the shelf, so that not everyone can see them. I as a perfumo will find them anyway, as we all here in this forum

Pure Bottled Class
This fragrance doesn't need much literature, because it's something really clear and simple:

- A masterpiece of olfactory art.

You know that many great creations need an acquired taste to understand them... This is not the case:

"L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme" is brilliant and it's obvious, even if you are an orc and live in a cave. Of course, everyone has their own preferences and may want to wear it or not, but there are things that have no discussion possible.

This EDT has a sweet citric accord (especially lemon) blended to perfection with anise, elemi, tea and hibiscus... and gentle acquires elegant floral notes of jasmine, and woody nuances coming from sandalwood. Patchouli and Cacao complete the composition, in a beautiful aromatic symphony that evolves with boldness.

- Longevity: 8h+/-.

- Projection: Moderate: It surrounds you with an aura of sophisticated and inviting aroma, leaving a soft and gentle scent trail.

This fragrance is a lesson in elegance and etiquette: It's perfectly gallant, and seduces without screaming for attention.

- Mood: A perfect scent for a gentleman of any kind.

- Scenario & Occasions: Always. But ideally, when you want to be immersed in a light breeze of pure class, witch at the same time, is inevitable seductive.
DrGourmand
Hotschi kaka-o go go Co-Co - or "In search of the world's best office fragrance"
Ho-Chi-ka-ka-ho Co-Co
Ho-Chi-ka-ka-ho Co-Co
Ho-Chi-ka-ka-ho go go Co-Co
With this chorus in the song "Co-Co" the English glamrock band The Sweet landed their first big hit in 1971, followed by several No.1 and TopTen placements in the following ten years. For myself, my teenage years were not far away and so we bawled out catchy radio songs of the class enemy in our eagerness to play and imitate and felt cool and already very grown up. Hotschi kaka-o go go, Hotschi kaka-o and we pondered what the cocoa was all about, or sometimes Hotschi Kakka o go go, Hotschi Kakka o and hoped that this kind of brown could not be meant.

This kind of childhood memories and especially this piece of music occurred to me when I noticed the bold heart note of cocoa in the fragrances of L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EdT. I had bought it, tested it several times and sprayed it on to start a new fragrance journey a la "Héritage". Pat Schouli was ready and still the trip was cancelled in the end! There is simply no such thing as perfume to create an adventurous experience fragrance journey. L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EdT has something of the lightness of being. The opening is still strong, but very fast you are with a gentleman, an accurate official, well-kept open-plan office types and a shy Dustin Hoffmann, before he met Mrs. Robinson, on the way. A perfume without corners and edges, of noble origin, great to smell, zero obtrusive, pleasing and yet pleasantly noticeable in arm length!

Against this background, I noticed another fact. The community, a part of it at any rate, has been increasingly looking for the "best office fragrance in the world" lately, referring to the exponential increase in the number of comments on Office for Men (over 20 so far in October). I don't know the scent from my own experience and don't want to take part in whether and to what extent Office for Men is now or not, but I would like to raise the bar a whole lot.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EdT starts off with a strong citrus-fruity scent, very fresh and quickly integrated with tangy, spicy and floral aspects into a fragrant effortlessness, simple, soft and without any frills. A slightly emerging sweetness indicates the increasing transformation towards a cocoay, chocolaty and distinctive scent. With a very light lemon in the background, the tangy, delicate chocolate has a fragrant, spicy melt of finely balanced plantation quality with approx. 60-80% cocoa. The Pachouli does its utmost to ensure this sensual, balsamic sensation, supported by discreet wood. A fragile bitterness, possibly due to the tea, prevents the conversion to gourmand and the musk as well as the musky hibiscus seeds fix the graceful patchouli-cocoa complex sweetish-powdery and close to the body.

All the splendid and cocoa-like scent facets possess a reserved naturalness and relaxed serenity. The fragrance is neither dominant nor intrusive, but friendly and inviting. After four to six hours, he withdraws discreetly without wanting to conquer rooms beforehand. He greets the wearer and table neighbour in the morning with a fresh, hospitable hello, accompanies us benevolently as well as pleasantly through the day and says goodbye until the next time, with a cosy tender touch at the goodbye. As already indicated, an eventful fragrance journey is hardly possible with L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EdT, but he takes an office by storm, discreetly, sensitively, politely and sympathetically. And before that he jumps with his own carefree lightness over the higher bar of what can be reached for an "office fragrance"! Can anyone follow him?
L'instant de Guerlain
L'Instant is a solid oriental fragrance that starts well. The best thing is to like the base note, which unfortunately appears very quickly. It seems to lose all its notes quite quickly, with the exception of that very base, and what distinguishes it from other oriental scents is the cocoa pod. It gives it an almost sensual quality, since the cocoa pod has a scent similar to baker's chocolate. The sweetness of L'Instant comes from the sandalwood, while the cocoa pod has a very dry, chocolaty feel. When I first became aware of cocoa, it was very similar to iris for me, and although they do not have the same note profiles, there are some slight similarities between this and Dior Homme (2005). It's a very nice fragrance, but it runs out too fast which is my main problem at the same time.
Skills0401
The bearable lightness of being
It is just a cold, occasionally humid spring morning in Vienna - the 6 degrees correspond for me to the perfect temperature for the l'Instant EDT and the mood is also just crying for a comment.

With this perfume, Guerlain has succeeded in creating a fragrance for colder seasons that is strong enough to stand up well at low temperatures, but also retains a certain lightness throughout the entire process - unlike the EDP, which is a bit too opulent (and old) for me.

This lightness comes to me, however, only after the top notes have been overcome, which I find a little too old-fashioned - the mixture of clear anise, lemon and jasmine reminds me of the apartment of a great aunt unfortunately, hence the not quite so high rating. It takes about 30-45 minutes until the heart note and thus the highlight of the fragrance comes to the fore. This wonderful blend of cocoa notes and patchouli, lightly supported by lavender, which is so uniquely natural and airy and which I have to sniff over and over again throughout the day, exudes a certain grandeur which is difficult to describe - you know that the scent is special and emerges from the mass without being a ramp sow. Noble understatement. This highlight then remains clearly perceptible for 4-5 hours before l'Instant says goodbye slowly and just as reservedly, whereby I can hardly smell the base notes given here.

The Sillage is well done for me - perceptible, but with the right dosage at no time obtrusive. I think it's a shame about the old bottle, which was much more independent - the new ones are simple and nice, but not more than that.

Six degrees in Vienna - hopefully there won't be too many such days this spring. But when I do, I enjoy the Instants de Guerlain, which make this fragrance so special.
Chevalier
We rarely think of what we have, but always of what we lack. Arthur Schopenhauer
This moment from before was long gone and I always saw this Guerlain over and over again. I thought he was really good, but somehow that was all. Afterwards surely tried over a hundred other fragrances and at some point got over the stronger moment of the perfume and thought, this is now the end of the flagpole. Then after thirteen years about once again this work of Mme Piquet stumbled and noticed how ingenious this fragrance really is.
Such a firework in the opening can only this Guerlain, of course with the obligatory Guerlinade, i.e. the vanilla background with the fruit taste. Unfortunately the perfumer died already in 2010 and could not deliver any more such works of art. Why work of art? I know little to no fragrances that deliver this performance for such a long time. The scent is still clearly recognizable even after six or seven hours. The Sillage has come a bit closer to the own body, but this basic essence which is still working is as already mentioned an art. The sad thing with many products which are not from Guerlain is the performance which disappeared after a few hours. Guerlain is not a niche player, yet it always offers a remarkable performance in its price-performance world.
There are still Clarins and Versace products that also belong to the better performers in the Sillage. Otherwise, unfortunately, there is relative drought with the numerous fragrances in the similar segment.
The sandalwood in this Linstant is very pleasant after a while and the change from an initially chypre-like impression to a real woody moment. The strength of the wood is extremely pleasant. The grapefruit and lemon disappear completely and the wood determines the finish. I can hardly recognize cocoa, rather patchouli pushes itself into the foreground with the woody one. It stays that way after six to seven hours, after which it's slowly over.
That's why you can buy your brother as a perfume, but he can't be compared because his cocoa-like dominance makes you forget everything about this perfume.
Absolute recommendation for the upcoming spring and summer.
We rarely think of what we have, but always of what we lack.
The clever service provider
L'Instant de Guerlain pour homme is in a way the simplest of all the Guerlain fragrances I have tested so far. Not in terms of the abundance of components used, but simply in terms of its expression, its goal. He left me no question marks, opened no locked doors to the past, and did not take me on a journey. The citric prelude with lemon and grapefruit very soon merges gently into the much discussed cocoa-patchouli-musky base, whereby the grapefruit can hold its own for a long time and prevents stuffy powderiness or gourmand overloading for many hours until the end with its remaining freshness. So it is to some extent the "delicious", "cuddly" nose warmer you read so often about.

However, his outer garment, thus described in a halfway exhaustively, nestles so finely and seamlessly against the noble "guerlinade" which forms the core here as well, that one can forgive his somewhat prosaic behaviour as well as easily differentiate between his more refined form of chimney coziness and the striking effect fixation of many of his colleagues. In short, it is the guerlinade that gives this "crowdpleaser" its backbone and posture. An example: L'Instant works for the gentleman who cares about himself in many situations after sunset. In a good restaurant as well as in a club. Always present, but never loud, L'Instant makes promises he can't keep. Men's chocolate instead of cotton candy, courteous instead of chumming up, help in the coat without reaching for the butt - you get my point. This fragrance is a clever, fine service provider. A Reginald Jeeves that makes a Bertie Wooster look good even in potentially delicate situations and at the same time prevents mistakes.

It's good that you don't have to say too many words about this scent. There are moments (nomen es omen!) when you need such scents on the shelf.

Jazzy76
Carpe diem (seize the day)
This fragrance is a unique experience: I tested it today and I fell in love with this officially masculin scent which smelled so good on me.
I thought of its name: l'instant(franch word for "the moment") and my mind ran to my school memories and to the classical Horace's poem where he says: "Carpe diem".
This fragrance is a moment to live with intensity, it's a little trip in the dreams land or a forbidden kiss to steal before the time goes by.
The citrusy opening is very light and immediately a warm and sensual cocoa note mixed to a not earthy but round patchouli hits your nose: It's like a temptation. Then, the musky base note closes this acchord like the words "the end " after a love or fantasy movie.
The longevity and the sillage of this eau de toilette aren't so strong and it's just for this reason that you must enjoy it immediately or after a few hours.Then, it slowly disappears.
It's a wonderful fragrance to share, not only for men. Carpe diem!
A very fine one
450 users have it!
77 users want him!
115 users have noted it!
5 users use it as signature scent!

What kind of reference,or?

The last comment to this quite exquisite smell lies however already more than 1 1/2 years back.
Do I have to come and end this lull?

That's a fine one!

All right.
I'm not going to tell you anything new, but I have a story to tell.

First of all I had to learn the difference between the EdT and the EdP.
I had tested the EdP first a few months ago and all the time the fragrance seemed familiar to me. I liked him, but he also reminded me of something or something.

At some point I realized that my family doctor smells like this, and I've always thought so. I'm not often there, but he wears it and the good one is surely already at the beginning of 60.
No, I don't want to smell that way, and that's the EdP out for me. In general he was a bit too heavy for me with too much of everything.

I told my Holden about this and for this purpose I sprayed him again to show her this, but I accidentally took the EdT.

What the hell was that? Much fresher it started and altogether also easier, whereby the reason DNA which I like remained to be recognized clearly. But this only happened on paper strips so I told myself that I had to test it again on me in any case.

Tested some time ago on a too warm day he never got out of my head again.
It was as I said very warm and I sprayed it on me in a perfumery.
I still liked it, but the weather caused it to sink a little.

I had to go shopping and went to a supermarket and then it happened...at the freezer he came back. BÄM.
I'll say. I noticed him very well when I was there and as soon as I went back into the warm he became paler. He needs cold. At least me.

But he has been quite wonderful in these "cold" moments, so from now on he became a clear candidate for the autumn.

It starts fresh with lemon and grapefruit, surrounded by aniseed. Not too strong, just fine tuned. In general, the word "fine" is very well used in the fragrance.
That's a fine one!

It continues quite quickly with a hint of jasmine and then cocoa and lavender set in. Wonderfully composed and very nobly it arrives in my nose. The cocoa does not appear too dominant, so that one should not speak here necessarily of Gourmandisch.

I see myself dressed with a nice shirt on jeans with this scent perfectly.

The whole thing stays together wonderfully, a little tea and cedar is easily added to the back and the noble impression remains. A very fine one!

He can also hold out for a long time, he can easily manage an office day.
He is never pushy, his Sillage is only a bit stronger at the beginning, he rather strokes his surroundings than patting her on the shoulders.

450 users have it!
77 users want him!
115 users have noted it!
5 users use it as signature scent!

You did everything right, because that's a fine one!

S.

Carlitos01Carlitos01 111 days ago
L'Instant has been my first Guerlain and still rocks my preferences. A patchouli-cocoa musky bomb. Extremely alluring, elegant and classy!
BhugoBhugo 18 months ago
Terrible longevity and sillage for me. Maybe the reformulation is weak, I wish I hadn’t bought this. Smells great, for an hour or so......

by Schoork
by Knucklehead
by Couchlock
by Couchlock

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain Derby (1985) (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain