Encens Mythique Encens Mythique d'Orient 2012

Encens Mythique / Encens Mythique d'Orient by Guerlain
Encens Mythique is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is spicy-floral. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Thierry Wasser

Top Notes Top NotesRose, Aldehydes, Saffron
Heart Notes Heart NotesPink pepper, Vetiver, Patchouli
Base Notes Base NotesUnderwood, Ambergris, Frankincense

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 16.06.2021.

The fragrance was initially part of the collection "Les Déserts d'Orient". In 2019, it was re-released as "Encens Mythique" as part of the collection "Les Absolus d'Orient".

Chriswertu
Nice ideas, really not bad, but the last kick is missing
Let s keep it short and sweet as always: I agree that it is not helpful to use encense in the name if you Don t use it. I get a beautiful rose, good balanced adelhydes and for me a unisex fragrance neither leaning to male or female... the young woods are pleasant but I would prefere a more mature cedarwood tone and smokiness of frankincense... But the most important thing is the absence of a kick, which would make difference, something unusual or at least something distinct for example a unique iris note or Yasmin to make it more powdery (if you like to play it clean)
Verdict
High class ingredients, balanced, with a high potential but something is missing for excellence (not distint enough, reminds me a lot aqua di parma ambra). Good price value ratio as usual for a guerlain fragrance. Imo: Less sweetness more powder and woods and you would have superstar (+ a nice plum?)
FvSpee
Lightning commentary: myths in bags
Fragrance (Target)

What the fragrance does not have, is first of all incense. This is a disaster for a fragrance that has incense in the name. A myth this fragrance will also never become, that much is certain. So the second component of the name is also a total failure, a zero, an air booking. It used to be called something with Oriental. The innocence of this name component can be doubted (see the very readable blog by MCPS on this), maybe that's why it was dropped. In any case, the fragrance has nothing to do with the Orient. What the fragrance also lacks is a base. Since I like progressions in general and drydowns in particular with Guerlain, this is annoying. Finally, the silly note "undergrowth" is also missing (how please is that supposed to smell). Maybe because it's stated in the base note, and it's missing all together. Sharpness also nada, niente (because of pepper).

Fragrance (Have)

In the opening phase (a few minutes) I feel EM as horribly unsorted and sticky-sweet. Here are some of my associations: Squeaky duckies, pink cartoon kittens, baked apples, Black Forest cake, apricots preserved in strong alcohol. That cheesy fruity sweetness, which I don't know where it comes from, soon retreats from the forefront, but is always loitering menacingly in the background. Aldehydes soon make an appearance, but freshly showered and strained they come off as overly artificial-hairspray-like. Combined with a non-stinky rose (I usually have trouble with roses, but this one's ok, almost too ok, touching on the cheesy again). A fresh, dew-wetted bouquet of roses, grown to be "inconspicuous smelling," and a bowl of rose jam next to it.

In the long, long middle part of the fragrance, wood dominates for me, but neither underwood, nor overwood, but rather normal wood, heartwood, plywood and young wood. Sometimes it's a bit creaky, sometimes it's quite fresh-green. Sometimes it's oiled, sometimes it's damp. Actually a pleasant, interesting beautiful woodwind ensemble. Plus the problem-free rose continues, and a pleasant generic-warm spiciness (no pepper). Towards the end, the sweetness comes out again, leaving diffuse marzipan impressions.

Name

A name where both name components are outright lies is junk. Anyway, I don't like the word mythical (actually something like: "in the manner of ancient legends and fairy tales"). It's often used with "mystical" ("mysterious", especially in the context of religious practices), which is probably what is meant here (incense!) and therefore might suggest a certain lack of education in Guerlain's marketing department. Besides, in addition to a good book (the Myth of Sisyphus), one of the worst books of the 20th century (meaningfully titled: the Myth of the 20th Century) is named after it, and anyway, I don't like the whole myth thing. I'm a man of the Enlightenment on that one. But maybe the title is meant ironically, referring to the fact that there is no incense right now. After all, the word myths is also used in the sense of lies (mythomaniac: a person who compulsively lies all the time).

Company + perfumer

Guerlain is one of my favorite brands, but lately it doesn't always cover itself with glory. the whole Idealmann line I think is expendable, and the Aqua Allegorias are inflationary, even if there are nice ones. I have an undecided relationship with Mr. Water. He is not my mythical hero. With this fragrance, he will also not.

Verdict

In the all-dominant middle part, a nice, pleasant, interesting fragrance with a lot of woodiness, surrounded by freshly showered rose, marzipan and a warm winter spice blend. But because the whole thing is very unspecific and not impressive, because of the rather lukewarm performance, the completely crazy upbeat, the läppischen Drydowns and the lied name but then a fragrance that is located between unnecessary and annoying.

Mythiqual Rose
A perfume that caught me a little by surprise when I first tried it and each wear is bringing something new to the party. I hope you enjoy the review and always appreciated your support. Thank you so much for watching.

K84
Very classy, sophisticated and mature
A majestic Middle Eastern way to portrait an aldehydic nature, abstract rose note, dusty frankincense and ambergris. Encens Mytique is all about a soapy-salty ambergris embraced by abstract rose, effervescent aldehydes and the powdery Guerlain DNA. The ambergris note is slightly animalic somewhat leathery from time to time but simultaneously powdery creating a soapy accord that results in a rare exotic aroma with a very prominent Guerlain personality very classy, sophisticated and mature.

Chanelle
Orient for Beginners (version Encens Mythique 2019)
Since oud, camel dung and other heavy oriental fragrances are not for my little blonde European snub nose, I have wanted to test few of them so far. I only like myrrh and incense in small doses. Wood also only as sandal, please. Patchouli only in my vintage Coromandel EdT, etc. etc. So, in fact, I was practically only expected by anxious opponents. That's why I've been bracing myself about the original version since 2012.
But now, in January 2019, the fragrance in the Les Absolus d'Orient series came onto the market in the new bottle and I received a sample. Preliminary testers did not agree whether the new flacon would be accompanied by a new recipe or quality. I can't say it, because I don't know the old version like I said.
But - what I can say is: No fear of big animals, feelings or spices!
This Encens is suitable for daylight, mass compatible and... a gentle Oriental.
From the first creamy spicy saffron moment on, I lost my concerns.
In fact, over time it becomes a bit soft and soapy, but also spicy. With increasing time on my skin, I even discover some wood and a velvety rose, a soothing light earthiness, a very warm, beautiful overall feeling.
It is not loud or obtrusive, does not leave a large veil of scent, but remains on the skin for a long time.
Sweet he is at no time to be called, nothing stabbing, nothing dull, no gothic patch either.
Only inner peace and comfort. Omm.

Journey with Encens Mythique
I finally tested the enigmatic Encens Mystique last evening. Never before in my life have I experienced a perfume like this. It was not quite what I expected it would be. It was quite light and wore very close to the skin with only faint projection and sillage but quite good longevity. I can still detect it on my skin this morning more than twelve hours later, albeit faintly. Ironically, I could detect neither incense nor rose in it, which I found quite disappointing.

However, in the deep dry down it changed into something which I find quite difficult to describe. It became slightly salty---a note I had never before experienced---and animalic, no doubt due to the real ambergris Wasser used in it. As I lay in bed it wafted around me like some sort of mystical aura, and I sort of lost my sense of sound as I contemplated the perfume. It gave me the feeling of being underwater wherein one loses the sounds of life on the surface as the water fills one's ears. It made me think of whales and of the ocean. It actually conjured images in me of marine life in a vast ocean far from any land mass and any other human beings. It felt, for want of a better word, like a primordial essence of some sort which breathed a sort of melancholia around me. It invoked a certain species of loneliness that oddly enough was not at all painful. In fact, it felt quite peaceful, quite meditative and serene.

Finally, as I began to drift off to sleep, the smell of the perfume suddenly caused me to remember a film I once saw only a snippet of many years ago, albeit a riveting snippet. It was a psychological horror film called "Open Ocean," and it was based upon a true story. Here is a link to a synopsis of the film. I had not thought of this film in years.

I am utterly amazed by this perfume! I cannot recall any other fragrance which took me on such an emotional "journey." It was as if the perfume led my willing spirit outside of the confines of time and space.

Fragrance: 10/10

Projection: 5/10

Sillage: 5/10

Longevity: 10/10

JackHunter33
A Shimmering Effect Of Light Rose, Incense and Ambergris.
This feels very fresh when first sprayed on, it's like you have soaked rose petals in water left it for a while and then sprayed it on. It's not overwhelming as the incense quickly follows which smells like white musk and then I can pick up the ambergris. The ambergris smells slightly sweet and salty.

The scent is very ethereal and feels watery on the skin as you have a light shimmering effect of light rose, incense and ambergris. It smells very plush and is so well balanced, no note feels bold or overwhelming. Everything is light and airy, imagine a breeze coming your way with a sweet, salty rose just caressing your senses.

After a while you can pick up other notes within the mystical like breeze of a scent like saffron and Patchouli. All this is tightly weaved in a ethereal fashion smelling very classy and plush, you could imagine a Arabian princess wearing this.

A very beautiful fragrance and worthy of praise.

Drseid
Nice Overall, But Too Much Powder...
Encens Mythique d'Orient opens with a beautiful neroli note that mixes with an almost boozy aldehyde accord resembling the scent of a fine French orange liquor-like Grand Marnier before giving way early to a strong honeyed frankincense accord spiked with rose. This honeyed frankincense accord must also be hiding some iris in its composition, as the scent turns very powdery and make-up like in the early heart notes before the powder dissipates later in the heart and into the dry-down with the honey retaking the fore. Projection and longevity are both exceptional.

The opening to Encens Mythique d'Orient is delicious smelling and things looked extremely promising early-on. The honeyed frankincense is quite strong, but very pleasant smelling on the whole. My biggest problem with the scent is in the early heart notes where the powdery make-up like iris takes a co-starring role and it can be a bit much. That said, once you get past that powder (although it never quite goes away through the end) the scent is rather captivating and I enjoyed it plenty on the whole. The honey is sweet, but the scent never reaches into the sickeningly sweet zone, instead straddling that fine line rather nicely. I personally think this scent while very unisex and would smell good on anyone, might be a better fit for a woman if I had to pick. That said, I recommend Encens Mythique d'Orient to everyone and award it a very good 3.5 stars out of 5.

GodspeedGodspeed 2 months ago
Did not like it on my skin at first, too much rose and no incense. The paper blotter smells like an ironing board, this I like.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 9 months ago
Salty and powdery rose. Very classic scent, elegant and smooth. Sadly, I can't help thinking that this scent would only suit a mature woman.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 1 year ago
A pronounced powdery-floral Mid season fragrance, balanced by a slightly spicy earthy-woody base. Nice salty ambergris, yet female-oriented.
SergioTSergioT 1 year ago
Perfection. Salty, sweet, smooth, noticeable, eastern, western, modern and classic. One stellar composition. One of my favorites of all time
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
Tried this one on paper and didn't find it anything special. On skin is a complete different thing. Salty and rosy, so powerful and classy
LillibetLillibet 3 years ago
Spices, powdery roses & incense notes woven into a very enjoyable french-style Arabian Nights fantasy. Wearable in both dry heat & cold.

by Mustang69
by Mustang69
by Slickadam
by Slickadam
Thank you for your words!
by R0din
by Mustafa
by Peaches
by Peaches

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain