Encens MythiqueEncens Mythique d'Orient (2012)

Encens Mythique / Encens Mythique d'Orient by Guerlain

Encens Mythique is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is spicy-oriental. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Thierry Wasser

Top Notes Top NotesRose, Aldehydes, Saffron
Heart Notes Heart NotesPink pepper, Vetiver, Patchouli
Base Notes Base NotesUnderwood, Ambergris, Frankincense

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 03.08.2019

The fragrance was initially part of the collection "Les Déserts d'Orient". In 2019, it was re-released as "Encens Mythique" as part of the collection "Les Absolus d'Orient".

9.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10

Chanelle
Orient for Beginners (version Encens Mythique 2019)
Since oud, camel dung and other heavy oriental fragrances are not for my little blonde European snub nose, I have wanted to test few of them so far. I only like myrrh and incense in small doses. Wood also only as sandal, please. Patchouli only in my vintage Coromandel EdT, etc. etc. So, in fact, I was practically only expected by anxious opponents. That's why I've been bracing myself about the original version since 2012.
But now, in January 2019, the fragrance in the Les Absolus d'Orient series came onto the market in the new bottle and I received a sample. Preliminary testers did not agree whether the new flacon would be accompanied by a new recipe or quality. I can't say it, because I don't know the old version like I said.
But - what I can say is: No fear of big animals, feelings or spices!
This Encens is suitable for daylight, mass compatible and... a gentle Oriental.
From the first creamy spicy saffron moment on, I lost my concerns.
In fact, over time it becomes a bit soft and soapy, but also spicy. With increasing time on my skin, I even discover some wood and a velvety rose, a soothing light earthiness, a very warm, beautiful overall feeling.
It is not loud or obtrusive, does not leave a large veil of scent, but remains on the skin for a long time.
Sweet he is at no time to be called, nothing stabbing, nothing dull, no gothic patch either.
Only inner peace and comfort. Omm.
10.0 5.0 10.0 10.0/10

Journey with Encens Mythique
I finally tested the enigmatic Encens Mystique last evening. Never before in my life have I experienced a perfume like this. It was not quite what I expected it would be. It was quite light and wore very close to the skin with only faint projection and sillage but quite good longevity. I can still detect it on my skin this morning more than twelve hours later, albeit faintly. Ironically, I could detect neither incense nor rose in it, which I found quite disappointing.

However, in the deep dry down it changed into something which I find quite difficult to describe. It became slightly salty---a note I had never before experienced---and animalic, no doubt due to the real ambergris Wasser used in it. As I lay in bed it wafted around me like some sort of mystical aura, and I sort of lost my sense of sound as I contemplated the perfume. It gave me the feeling of being underwater wherein one loses the sounds of life on the surface as the water fills one's ears. It made me think of whales and of the ocean. It actually conjured images in me of marine life in a vast ocean far from any land mass and any other human beings. It felt, for want of a better word, like a primordial essence of some sort which breathed a sort of melancholia around me. It invoked a certain species of loneliness that oddly enough was not at all painful. In fact, it felt quite peaceful, quite meditative and serene.

Finally, as I began to drift off to sleep, the smell of the perfume suddenly caused me to remember a film I once saw only a snippet of many years ago, albeit a riveting snippet. It was a psychological horror film called "Open Ocean," and it was based upon a true story. Here is a link to a synopsis of the film. I had not thought of this film in years.

I am utterly amazed by this perfume! I cannot recall any other fragrance which took me on such an emotional "journey." It was as if the perfume led my willing spirit outside of the confines of time and space.

Fragrance: 10/10

Projection: 5/10

Sillage: 5/10

Longevity: 10/10
8.0 8.0/10

JackHunter33
A Shimmering Effect Of Light Rose, Incense and Ambergris.
This feels very fresh when first sprayed on, it's like you have soaked rose petals in water left it for a while and then sprayed it on. It's not overwhelming as the incense quickly follows which smells like white musk and then I can pick up the ambergris. The ambergris smells slightly sweet and salty.

The scent is very ethereal and feels watery on the skin as you have a light shimmering effect of light rose, incense and ambergris. It smells very plush and is so well balanced, no note feels bold or overwhelming. Everything is light and airy, imagine a breeze coming your way with a sweet, salty rose just caressing your senses.

After a while you can pick up other notes within the mystical like breeze of a scent like saffron and Patchouli. All this is tightly weaved in a ethereal fashion smelling very classy and plush, you could imagine a Arabian princess wearing this.

A very beautiful fragrance and worthy of praise.
7.5 10.0 10.0 7.0/10

Drseid
Nice Overall, But Too Much Powder...
Encens Mythique d'Orient opens with a beautiful neroli note that mixes with an almost boozy aldehyde accord resembling the scent of a fine French orange liquor-like Grand Marnier before giving way early to a strong honeyed frankincense accord spiked with rose. This honeyed frankincense accord must also be hiding some iris in its composition, as the scent turns very powdery and make-up like in the early heart notes before the powder dissipates later in the heart and into the dry-down with the honey retaking the fore. Projection and longevity are both exceptional.

The opening to Encens Mythique d'Orient is delicious smelling and things looked extremely promising early-on. The honeyed frankincense is quite strong, but very pleasant smelling on the whole. My biggest problem with the scent is in the early heart notes where the powdery make-up like iris takes a co-starring role and it can be a bit much. That said, once you get past that powder (although it never quite goes away through the end) the scent is rather captivating and I enjoyed it plenty on the whole. The honey is sweet, but the scent never reaches into the sickeningly sweet zone, instead straddling that fine line rather nicely. I personally think this scent while very unisex and would smell good on anyone, might be a better fit for a woman if I had to pick. That said, I recommend Encens Mythique d'Orient to everyone and award it a very good 3.5 stars out of 5.

Lillibet 19 months ago
Spices, powdery roses & incense notes woven into a very enjoyable french-style Arabian Nights fantasy. Wearable in both dry heat & cold.+3
9.0
6.0

Thank you for your words!
by R0din
by Peaches
by Lexa
by Lexa

Popular Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Jicky (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain