Les Élixirs Charnels - French Kiss 2014

Les Élixirs Charnels - French Kiss by Guerlain
Les Élixirs Charnels - French Kiss is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 2014. The scent is fruity-sweet. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Thierry Wasser

Base Notes Base NotesHeliotropeHeliotrope
IrisIris
VanillaVanilla
White muskWhite musk

Submitted by aoe, last update on 09.11.2021.

Raspberry Meringue
After "Lipstick Rose" now "French Kiss": that's a fine kissing here!
But why "French Kiss"?
Are French kisses really so much different (or maybe even better) than, say, Italian kisses?
Well, let's leave national pride to the House of Guerlain; after all, Napoleon crowned himself. Let's believe that they are better! (The kisses, not the French in general!)

And it is undeniable: the Guerlain DNA is also immediately recognizable in "Les Elixirs Charnels - French Kiss"!
On this, as yet undeciphered basis, the aroma of beautiful ripe raspberries spreads. They exude the unmistakable scent of the sun-drenched summer; a magical melange is created.
Litchi stops by before the velvety abundance of roses and violets - wonderfully velvety and fragrant - rises in full splendour and puts a cloak of fine lace over everything.
"French Kiss" becomes physical already here: it is the well-formed body of a sensual woman!
A woman who radiates warmth and thus gets a suitable companion with dark violet, vanilla-scented heliotrope.
But of course Aphrodite, the goddess of creamy white and creamy vanilla, is not long in coming. With waving veils of scent she enters the fragrance stage Together with cleverly dosed white musk it makes clear:
"Heliotrope - that's all well and good: but it's just a door opener for me! The true queen is me!"
That's probably true; Iris nods wisely and powders a little to complete the picture.

"Les Elixirs Charnels - French Kiss" is an enchanting fragrance for women, which is all in pink and white: "Meringue Framboise" could be the name of the creation in the patisserie.

Oh, how interesting I found these white sprayed meringue hoods, which were always on top of the display case at the baker's when I was a child.
My mother warned me; they were dry and had no taste at all.
I didn't want to believe it until one day I bought one of these meringue shells and had to admit completely dusty: it's true! It looks more tempting than it is!
Maybe it's just as well that meringue mass always becomes a little tough (rubbery); confectioners complain about the many sugars in it, which make the mass creamy.
But so sticky and white, slightly browned and over ripe, sensual fruity raspberries - oh, there's something very special about it!

This is what Guerlain's "French Kiss" reminds me of: the summery pleasure of a bowl of raspberries with a lightly tanned meringue!
Uij, I hope I didn't offend "Frech Kiss" now!

Quintessentially Guerlain signature lipstick parfum
This is part of the Elixir Charnel collection from Guerlain. The bottle comes with a little metallic plate and nice leather box. As far as the fragrance is concerned, it of course has the Guerlain DNA which you either like or dislike. I get a massive lipstick vibe from this fragrance and I could’ve sworn it has cherry, even though the notes don’t have cherry in them. It has the vibe of la petite robe noire and I will do a side by side comparison to test the extent of this similarity.
I read a lot of reviews saying it’s similar to Frederic Malle’s lipstick rose, however I don’t get this. I personally did not like lipstick rose :(

~ Blowing Kisses in the Wind ~
~ As a man let me be one of the first to review what "French Kiss" evokes in me! As I love smells all smells irregardless of label and when I am fortunate enough to incidentally or on purpose be blessed with a feminine 'fume I feel compelled to give a man's opinion to my fellow perfumista's. And my "initial sample impression" of this Guerlain is the scent of youth an eternal youth in a woman perhaps evoked by the candy sweet fruitiness. I think any women of any age could wear this and capture a youthful image and still be a proper discreet mademoiselle!
For me and the images in my minds eye compliments of my nose. This is a long distance slightly fuzzy iris blown kiss that is hard to catch. And I see a woman with a girlish charm teasing and whispering on the wind while holding a small bouquet of flowers tossing the peddles into the waves giggling as they fall. You desire to kiss her aura of litchi but your lips are happily left empty as her soft sillage wrapped in raspberry sweetness escapes! But she'll be back always back in another future perfume dream.

Kind Regards, Plat ~

Gold
Pink maccaron in a bottle
"French Kiss" belongs to the "Les Elixirs Charnels" and was launched to mark the 20th anniversary of Guerlain's "Kiss Kiss" lipsticks. The fragrance (the liquid itself) is pink. And it smells pink. Guerlain describe it as a "glossy floral fragrance" containing notes of raspberry, lychee, rose, violet, vanilla, heliotrope, iris and white musk.
They are right: it is a shiny, glossy pink created by combining rasberry and lychee. These notes dominate the fragrance and kind of overshadow the other components (rose, iris). I read this fragrance as an upmarket-version of "La petite robe noire" with the same juvenile vibe to it and a similar plastic feel. The powdery drydown isn't bad at all, but the entire thing is too sweet and and reminds me of a pink maccaron. I guess it's a perfume for the young daughters of Russian millionaires who are looking for something more refined than the ordinary "La petite robe noire".
If you want a better "lipstick-inspired" perfume, try Malle's "Lipstick Rose". I for my part would not cash out 200 Euros for a pink maccaron in a bottle.

Dessert and Delights
New to the Guerlain "Les Elixirs Charnels" lineup in 2014 is the super-sexy French Kiss. Quintessentially French and quintessentially Guerlain, 'French Kiss' is a mouth-watering délice created by the hand of Thierry Wasser that typifies the series' fondness for confection-like sweetness.

French Kiss opens with an ambosial flight... jammy, pulpy raspberries meet the nose beneath an initial sparkle of citrus. The berries are deep red in hue, and their olfactory profile borders on that of sour cherry. An enchanting blend of violet and orris lend a faint lipstick vibe (no surprise really, given the scent was created to commemorate the 20th Anniversary of Guerlain's Kiss Kiss lipstick line). These accords also lend a sense of powdery dryness, which calls to mind a baked meringue dusted with confectioner's sugar... fluffy and chewy on the inside, and chalky and brittle on the outside. A caramel-brown ribbon of heliotrope and vanilla add a creamy sweetness to the trail - the effect something like a ganache or melted French vanilla ice-cream. (Anyone who has smelled Guerlain's exclusive "180 Ans de Creation" perfume will recognise it in the drydown here).

A Fruity Floral with strong gourmand characteristics, French Kiss veers away from the pedestrian and feels very much the sequential successor in the Elixirs Charnels series. On paper, it may appear to have certain nuances plucked from the mega-successful commercial release La Petite Robe Noire, but the quality here speaks for itself. And lets face it, who here doesn't find glacé desserts and candied trappings kind of sexy?

Read My Lips
The first fragrance by Guerlain I've chosen deliberately to test and I like it quite well. "French Kiss" reflects what it is supposed to represent. After a fruity beginning, it turns into a powdery floral scent that in places reminds me of lipstick.
It doesn't express itself the way I would have liked it to, but the impression is there and noticable. It is very close to the skin. The opening can be sensed with a little more sillage. You can smell it already from the spray head. The raspberry note is fruity and sweet, reminiscent of candy. I like that. When it switches to the powdery flowers it's too squeaky for a moment. Again, the berry note gets a noticeable synthetic component. After that it becomes a pleasant powder that accompanies me quite a long time, yet very discreet and up close, but still noticeable if you smell your wrist again from time to time. Fruity components appear here and there again. Overall, I find the smell pleasant, nice and according to my taste. "French Kiss" actually fits any occasion and is therefore well suited for using up the remaining bottle content.
Nevertheless, I will continue to not particularly care for Guerlain. For me, they do their work as good or bad as other major brands. If this scent would have been done by another house I would like it just as much. Even if I do not consider this a serious rating criteria, I would still say that to me the fragrance wouldn't be worth the price for a full bottle. For that "French Kiss" doesn't sweep me off my feet. If you like lipstick and search for it, it can be found in here with a raspberry touch, but you should be able to arrange with the fact that its scent is very discreet.

by Aolani
by Aolani
by DemonHead
by DemonHead
3,8ml EDT
by WiB

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Millésime Vanilla Planifolia by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Derby (1985) (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain