Les Élixirs Charnels - Gourmand Coquin 2008

Les Élixirs Charnels - Gourmand Coquin by Guerlain
Top 52 in Women's Perfume
Les Élixirs Charnels - Gourmand Coquin is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 2008. The scent is gourmand-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Angélique Noire

Christine Nagel

Top Notes Top NotesBlack pepperBlack pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesRoseRose
Smoked teaSmoked tea
Base Notes Base NotesRumRum
ChocolateChocolate

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 16.09.2021.

Vogue2011
"There's your favorite: Chicken with chocolate glaze."
Le Coq, the cock (What were YOU thinking?) ;-)

So, a Gourmethahn is Gourmand Coquin in any case, for every gourmet who loves CHOCOLATE :-)
But not so ne Discounterschoki, more a noble chocolate from a delicatessen, or a delicious, fine drinking chocolate, chocolat deluxe! SWEET :-)

Fine noses also still perceive the slightly quaffable rum tone, I, for example, only directly after spraying (Noble drops in Schoki).
What remains for me then is this delicious chocolate smell that accompanies me and always finds its way into my nose...

Careful: In the SUMMER maybe not so the scent for outdoors, many small buzzing fans he has actually also fly on him ;-)
Loud Gourmand Coquin
Wow, what a multi-layered perfume, so exciting, so variable and always present.
The performance is great. It is so coordinated that I can not really clearly delineate the individual components. I find this perfume is the much older sister of Intitio Absolut Aphrodisiac - just louder, more present and longer lasting.
Machica
A hot cup of chocolate please!
Thanks to a souk with a nice perfumo member, I bought a sample. Before that, I had already tested it on the test strip in the perfumery With the first spray I smell rose, something tea-like (reminds me of bergamot ) and something I can't define exactly. Maybe the rum? After that a hint of flowers comes up, far away I perceive a little bit of rose.
When I press my nose to the back of my hand and smell, I actually smell more like a flower and more rose.
In the course of time I realize that the tea must have been smoked :)
Then a warm, cuddly, minimally slightly spicy cocoa note begins to unfold. And that's when the scent starts to appeal to me. It is a cocoa made of dark chocolate, not too bitter by any means, but it is not sweet either. One thinks of cuddly Sundays in autumn. When it's wet and cold outside and you're curled up on the couch with a cup of hot cocoa. In your favourite sweatpants and under the Lieblibgscuddle blanket.

The top note is not mine, but as soon as the chocolate comes out, you feel safe and collected, homely and lulled into a dream of dark cocoa. Very very nicely done, because it really smells very natural and not at all obtrusive, penetrating, sweetish or causing headaches.

My thing about gourmet scents is I love to sniff them, taste them and wear them a couple times. But in the long run I don't like scents like that on me
And just to use it now and then in autumn/winter cuddled up on the couch, this candidate is a little too expensive ;). But that's what the souk is for By the way, I can also imagine the scent very well on my boyfriend and therefore on the male sex ;)
Because he has this slightly spicy A very interesting scent, which is very nicely made and is characterized by a very nice structure and flow.
That's what I call high art! Capturing a hot cup of chocolate in a bottle. I don't have to say much about the flacon, do I? It's also a dream in terms of design. I love minimalist flacons and this one is perfect for me!
A fragrance that is definitely worth testing. No matter if male or female, you must have smelled it once!
A gourmet fragrance at the highest level!

Spiced hot chocolate
I bought this on a trip to Milan, I thought I would treat myself and spend 200 buying something based on hype instead of trusting my nose. I will preface this by saying this smells of top quality materials and masterful blending. On my skin though this doesn’t develop much it is milk chocolate (artisan though not your local grocer) with vanilla and a hint of spice which reminds of chai but doesn’t smell like it. That is it. I don’t get the rose or liquor on my skin. it also gets musky in the drydown. So overall I can appreciate the craftsmanship but I find myself really bored by it.
Parfümlein
Roses and chocolate - a little secret tip for all husbands
As is well known, men make the odd mistake or two. Forget the inspection, dentist or daycare appointment. Announce to buy bread and fall into premature dementia. Do not sort the dirty laundry and then pretend not to be able to see any colour differences, or wash everything at 60 degrees, even the silk blouses that you have tried to keep away from them. Often they then get the idea, let's say when fifty or sixty or so of these little misadventures have accumulated, to make up for them. And here I would like to say in all clarity: There are two things a man may always! and at any time! procure for his wife: roses and chocolate. Preferably at the same time, of course. Roses with chocolate. As for my husband, he can save himself the trouble of first getting one, then the other, forgetting on the way what the other one was and driving back and forth unnecessarily because the next flower shop has already moved to a new location for two and a half years. Mine is welcome to take the direct route to the perfumery. After all, there are gourmand coquins. The knight in shining armour. The ultimate, delicious, wonderful peacemaker. Roses and chocolate, united in a beautiful bottle decorated with finely chiselled silver. So much has already been said here about the wonderful fragrance of this gem that I can be brief: Such a noble, dark-bitter chocolate note, so present from the outset and at the same time so fantastically underscored by the flowery scent of a dark red, velvety rose, by slightly alcoholic notes of sweet rum and by small peppery tips - it is unparalleled. The combination of ingredients has been so successful that there is nothing disturbing, but there is no shallow-sweet, flat gourmand, but a delicate, filigree structure of individual fragrance impressions that is perfectly reflected in the bottle. I think the fragrance is really, really great, and because it has its price, I can't really wait for the situation to arise where I'm asked what I'm actually wishing for. Then I know exactly what my answer is

Closer is Better
Guerlain really stretched itself on some of its newer compositions in the last few years such as Gourmand Coquin. This fragrance has received so many enthusiastic reviews despite the fact that it is not easily recognisable as a Guerlain that I simply could not ignore it. I admit I had some trepidation in purchasing GC because it is undeniably a gourmand, and I am not a gourmand lover per se. I do love some gourmand fragrances, e.g. B&BW has two gourmands that I adore, Sensual Amber and Cashmere Glow, but I would not classify myself a gourmand devotee. Nevertheless, the notes of dark chocolate, rose, and rum appealed, especially after one well respected reviewer wrote that the rum and chocolate notes smelt like an expensive, not too sweet, cherry liquor, so after a year or longer on my radar, I finally purchased GC. What follows are my first impressions. I will update this review if and whence my impressions change.

Upon application, GC smells quite foodie to my nose---no surprise there. Specifically, it smells rather like dry, crumbly cookies of some sort, which I found quite disappointing. Initially, it could be mistaken for a B&BW body spray which is not at all a good thing at this price point. I do not detect pepper in the top notes. I do not care for the top notes at all I am sorry to say. To my surprise, the heart notes took quite a while to open, but once they did, I liked the fragrance a bit more. The dry cookie aroma continued to project within arm's length around me, but it was slowly dissipating. Unfortunately, as I love the idea of roses and chocolate together, I really could not distinguish any rose or chocolate or tea for that matter. The fragrance still smelt rather foodie to me throughout the duration of the heart notes---again not surprisingly, and I began to think GC was not one of my good blind buys at all even if it had only cost as little as a B&BW body spray.

However, by the deep dry down, the fragrance smelt so much better. The base notes are far less foodie than the top and heart notes. They do smell "edible" but in a much less literal and more more abstract way. I love the deep dry down. I detect dark chocolate and a not sour but not uber sweet cherry note that together are quite appealing. There may be a faint tinge of rose at this point, but I am not sure. My biggest surprise, however, was that the closer is my nose to the fragrance on my skin, the better it smells! I do not find this to be true of all my fragrances by any means. GC smells quite delicious very close up, but I cannot really say what it must smell like to someone within in a couple of feet of me. Perhaps it smells more like dry cookies to someone near me---a wholly unappealing thought. It is as though the perfumer, Christine Nagel, purposely composed the fragrance in such a way as to draw in ever closer the noses around the wearer, and indeed the wearer herself. The scent trail begins with, for want of a better descriptor, dry cookies, and ends with the most delicious chocolatey, boozy, not too sweet cherry liquor. I am not sure I would describe GC as "rascally," the translation for Coquin, as much as demonstrating the type of coquettish flirtation that might come naturally to a quite young woman.

Personally, I would love to detect more rose and far, far less cookie in this fragrance, but I do like it. However, and perhaps I am prejudiced, I do not think it warrants its price point, at least not whence one considers how many masterpieces Guerlain has in its portfolio at a much lower price point. I love so many of Guerlain's incomparable classics as well as some of its newer fragrances, e.g. Encens Mythique and Angelique Noire, both of which I find to be more properly "perfume," that GC perhaps cannot but be something of a disappointment. Please do not misunderstand. The quality is excellent as one would expect from Guerlan, but I question where or not GC fits well with the rest of Guerlain's magnificent stable of fragrances. GC just may be too "young" for my nose, but the house surely must appeal to a wider demographic than just the mature, sophisticated woman and man if it is to remain relevant in the decades to come. Yes, I do like GC. I am not sure if I will come to love it, though.

The best part of this fragrance is the delicious deep dry down, and to Guerlain's credit, that fabulous dry down persists for at least 12-14 hours on my skin, and not many fragrances these days do this. If I could get the dry down right from the start, and if the fragrance had a bit more projection and sillage, I think it might be a love for me from first sniff because the dry down is undoubtedly more sophisticated than the top and heart, but at this price, I am not happy to wait through the so-so top and heart notes to get to the delicious dry down. Longevity is very good, though, and the closer someone comes to the wearer, the more delicious she will smell. Thus, these are both the good and the bad aspects of GC for me personally.

I want to give myself more time with GC in different weather conditions before I reach any final conclusions about it. In my experience, temperature and humidity can dramatically effect any fragrance. For example, Lutens Mandarin Mandarine did not wow me initially whence I wore it indoors. Like many other reviewers, I detected a less than pleasant celery note in it, but whence I walked outdoors into a cold, breezy Winter evening, the fragrance soared around me and smelt so glorious that I could hardly believe it was the same fragrance.

Perhaps GC requires the right occasion or a specific mood for someone such as myself for it to become a love, whereas a much younger woman might feel comfortable reaching for this fragrance daily. Right now, all I can say with any certainly is that time will tell whether or not GC turns into a love for me, and closer is most definitely better. The deep dry down is delicious and smells of quality, but not so much the top and heart notes. At the moment, and I am chagrined to say so, I find GC far better suited to women than to men, and to far young women than to older women. One last thought to share is this. GC would make a lovely Christmas or Valentine's Day gift. On those occasions, I believe it could work for any age group.

Fragrance: 6.90/10

Sillage; 6/10

Projection: 6/10

Longevity: 10/10

ETA 24 November 20: The more I wear this one the more I enjoy it, especially the dry down and especially at this time of year. It is a perfectly festive fragrance. I love the boozy chocolate in the dry down.
The scent of cold
Who would like a pure smell description here does not need to read further :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's cold and rainy. The dark clouds in the sky make her sad. Everything is grey and dreary and the sun is missing so much. She is an absolute summer person but nevertheless she loves December.
She can't wait until the first Christmas markets open their stands again and the beautiful scent of the Christmas season is in the air.

Despite the freezing cold, the Christmas market attracts people every year to enjoy a glass of mulled wine, to stroll along fragrant stalls with spices and sweets and to forget everyday life for a few hours.
She goes to the Christmas market every year, but it will never be the same again. With him...

They met four years ago at the university. His name was Andrés and he was an exchange student from Puerto Rico.
He was certainly very popular with the ladies. Dark eyes, caramel skin. A typical Latino just,
but he wasn't a ripper.
They didn't have much in common. Both had their own circle of friends, but something was
between the two, for their glances met more and more often. Both could not hide their smiles when they met each other.

One day, while she was waiting for the train, he came to her and asked her for her number. There he was. The moment...
Both wrote to each other almost every evening and she could never wait to see him the next morning back at university.
One day they arranged to meet for the evening. It was her first date and there was a Christmas market in town.
Strolling around the Christmas market together, talking about God and the world and its past. Both had a lot in common. It was bitterly cold but hooked into his arm she got warm.
She had quite a few relationships in her life, but never before had she been so taken with a man like him.
After each meeting he called her before going to sleep to hear her voice again.

When she went to university the last morning before the semester break, he wasn't there. "He must be sick," a friend said to her. But why didn't he write her and tell her?
She tried not to make a head of herself, after all they were not a couple, even though it felt like that... But she was queasy already.

Weeks went by and he just didn't write her. What was going on and why was she so stubborn and didn't write him? Was it her pride? Didn't she want to hear that he wasn't in the mood for her anymore?

When the semester started again she got a conversation in the hallway. Two guys were talking about a fellow student who broke up and had to return home. She thought nothing of it and sat down with her friends.
It was strange and quiet in the group, and when she saw the look of her best friend, she knew what was going on. It was him. He was gone!

So now she sits at the window and knows that you can't turn back time.
She gets up and goes to her pretty showcase. That's where all their treasures are kept.
Gourmand Coquin is at the top of the list. Yes, that was her fragrance at the time and it was perfect for Christmas.
It catapults them directly to stalls offering wafers with chocolate sauce, hot cocoa with shot and fragrant gingerbread.
There's only a few drops left in the bottle. She smells him and gently puts him back in the cabinet.
She can't use him up or give him away.

Because then he'd be gone, gone forever. So is the memory. An.. Him...
DonJuanDeCat
Chocolate enjoyment! Honestly, is there anything I should say about that?
Hey you love, nice that you are here again to read a new Kommi from me :)
Today we are talking about Gourmand Coquin, a fragrance from the Les Élixirs Charnels series by Guerlain. And as the name already suggests, it is a gourmand scent that you sweet toothers might like :)

He's testing gourmand scents this summer, will tell you now and may think I'm insane or even more insane than usual. But first of all it's a bit cooler than the murderous heat wave a few days ago anyway and secondly I know you think I'm crazy anyway, so what have I got to lose?! But it makes me realize what a reputation I seem to have earned here, as I already mentioned in some commi the other day... *sigh*

From now on there is a new commi-style from me. Objective, polite, without complaining and moaning, no insults and... bah.... You don't believe me anyway, do you? :D

Anyway, so I'm still... uh... "crazy strange" and I'm still writing absurd stuff about the most beautiful scents, he he. And Gourmand Coquin is actually one of the most beautiful Guerlain fragrances I've tried lately. It smells really great, but of course it's a ladies scent again... what you ladies can be happy about...!

The fragrance:
Wooow! I smell delicious chocolate and cocoa, combined with a little rum and vanilla (which of course gets stronger and stronger in the next few moments). All this results in a fantastic and deliciously fragrant scent, where you don't even want to remove your arm from your nose. You'd even like to bite into your arm (and now you know what it all comes down to when you ladies use the scent, don't you?) :DD).
But the best thing is that everything doesn't just smell like chocolate and so on, but despite the delicious and great scents everything actually looks like a portable perfume instead of just smelling like the stimulants. I don't really notice pepper, but this could provide the slightly tingly spicy scent.
The rum evaporates quite fast, but now some tea is used. If I had to be honest, I would never have thought of tea if it hadn't been listed here in the fragrance list, but still, sniffed so concentrated, I think it actually smells a little like it, even if it seems more bitter than smoky to me. Something smoky is already present, but in a resinous way, like myrrh or something (but even this is only small). However, the tea also quickly fades away and you smell a rose next to the gourmandig sweet scents, which now also comes across as smoky (probably because of the myrrh mentioned and so on), which is somewhat surprising, but smells quite good. In the background there are still some classic scented bergamot notes, which are only noticed by the way, but they are present and give the fragrance a little more character and provide a more perfumed "look" next to all the chocolate.
In the later base, when most of the fragrances have faded away, one then smells as so often almost only the vanilla, possibly with a residual hint of chocolate. Gourmand Coquin is therefore a gentle, soft, very fragrant and simply a very beautiful fragrance!

Sillage and shelf life:
The Sillage is good, but no firecracker. It seems a lot stronger at first than it actually is. But of course you are wrapped in a nice, bigger scent cloud and should therefore look nice and fragrant for many people. The shelf life is also quite good, because the fragrance lasts quite long, especially because of the gourmand scents like chocolate and vanilla, here are more than 12 hours loosely in it!

The bottle:
The bottle is rectangular, thin, high and clear. It is filled with a beautiful pink scented liquid. On the front side below you can see a metal plaque with the name of the fragrance series. The actual name of the fragrance is on the side of the bottle. The lid is also rectangular, flat and transparent. A very beautiful and also high-quality bottle.

Sooo! Okay, this is once again one of those fragrances I would absolutely recommend, without thinking twice, if you like gourmand fragrances. I think it's great that the fragrance still smells of strong chocolate notes at first, but then becomes more and more perfumed. This means that the chocolate loses a little of its intensity, but can still be smelled, so that everything together produces a sweet, beautiful fragrance that can be worn in autumn and winter.

Fragrances like these are the best way to go out. Yes, whoever wears such a fragrance should actually stand out positively, because a woman simply has to come across great with it. Namely totally delightful and sweet, but also elegant and sexy at the same time. Since you know me well enough, you can now scroll down here for a moment, because now the same phrases are coming forever...

Scroll from here if you don't want to see the phrases :D

.....
...oh, what a scent...
...so the women look even tastier than already...
...aaaaah, this is so delicious...
...no, don't run away...
...sweet, hot, rrrrrrrr...
...perfumes are stupid :D...
...so sexyyyyy...
...my mouth is watering...
...but is it because of the scent or because of the women??...
...did I say that perfumes are stupid?...
D

SO! Here you can read on, if you scrolled! D
So as I said, the fragrance is beautiful, totally great smelling and I can only recommend you to test it. Or to mark it for you at least for the autumn, because it's not soo difficult, as I had assumed, but still seems inappropriate for the midsummer.

And with that I have arrived at the end again and wish you all a great evening, until the next time :)

Jbells
Rich Chocolate and Vanilla!
I'm sampling this out of a dab vial, so I might be missing some notes.

It's actually a bit challenging for me to try to describe this because while I've read all the raves about this, I never expected it to be this good and this edible! The only thing I really want to say is that good golly it's so yummy!

But oh my goodness. This is one heck of a gourmand. Right out of the vial I smell a strong milky chocolate, and that's exactly how it translates onto my skin! There's this chocolate cafe in Krakow, Poland that sells *the* best chocolate drinks in town - straight up melted chocolate in a cup in all its rich wonder. That's exactly what I taste in my mouth when I dab on Gourmand Coquin. There's also some vanilla in the mix, and little spice and pepper thing going on much closer to the skin.

It does become a tad boozy but still sooo chocolatey. At this stage it reminds me of a very watered-down version of the alcoholic drink Baileys. Something in it also reminds me of caffeine, I checked the notes and it says tea? So maybe that's it.

Basically, if you like yummy frags and rich, rich chocolate and vanilla, at least get a tiny bit of this to sample. It's lovely and so easy to wear!

Projection is quite decent, not enough to kill a room of people on me, but noticeable. Lasting power was quite good too. I stopped keeping count at 6 hours.

Ineverwas
This WILL get you fat (but you will love it)!
My God, this is a fabulous gourmand perfume! I was expecting chocolate and vanilla and I was expecting it to be tasty, but this fragrances goes beyond tasty, it's just irresistibly edible and has the olfactory structure of a real, three-dimensional dessert. It made me salivate as soon as it hit my nostrils as if my nose couldn't tell the difference between this masterful allusion and reality.

Gourmand Coquin has the very buttery, creamy texture of the delicious dessert that you know will get you fat just as sure as you know you'll definitely eat it all. This is pure gourmet dream: white milky chocolate, lush vanilla, dark powdered cocoa and spices and inebriating spritzes of savory rum. If there is any rose in this perfume, it's made of chocolate too.

Any gourmand perfume lover has to try this one, because it is the epitome of the genre, made with extraordinary, high quality materials. But beware, if you fall for this as hard as I have, the price you'll have to pay is a high one, for this gorgeous elixir does not come cheap: last I've heard, a 75ml bottle was around $270.

Sweet, rich, soft, velvety, oily, luscious, buttery, chocolatey deliciousness... yes I just want to eat myself up when I wear this!

ElkayElkay 7 months ago
Really smooth, sweet chocolate liqueur. Almost buttery, but not cloying. Nice but not earth-shattering.
HatkaHatka 10 months ago
Very nice chocolate, with a hint of alkohol and spices. Natural scent, good quality, not too sweet.
K84K84 2 years ago
Adore this scent. Chocolate, slight booziness and very prominent Guerlinade base. Love it. Delicate and subtle but long lasting

by Entenradio
by Gwiazdka72
by Amirrezaaj
by Amirrezaaj

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Shalimar Millésime Vanilla Planifolia by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain