Liu by Guerlain
Bottle Design Raymond Guerlain
Liu is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 1929. The scent is floral-powdery. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes
Heart Notes Heart NotesRose, Jasmine
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Woody notes, Iris

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 02.04.2021.

DonJuanDeCat
The best copy is allowed on the market!
Good evening, everyone!
Today I come to a Guerlain scent, which admittedly confused me a little at the beginning. Liu from 1929, because the name sounded so familiar to me, because after all it sounds almost like the Lui that appeared in 2017. And if you look at Lui's bottle, you can see that both the bottle and the label have a lot in common with Liu.

Is this the fragrance that preceded Lui? Apparently not,... because Lui doesn't seem to have anything to do with Liu apart from the bottle of that time and the perhaps equally strong Sillage, although I can't go into it any more detail olfactorically, because I still have to test Lui first. That's why from now on I only concentrate on Liu. So... how did it come to the scent back then?

Jacques Guerlain was inspired by Puccini's opera Turandot, or more precisely by one of the female characters in the play, the heroic Liu, which is why Guerlain named the fragrance after this woman.
There are also rumours that Guerlain and Chanel agreed to meet for a friendly competition. Both should create a fragrance that comes closest to the top fragrance of both perfumers of its time, that is, Chanel should try to copy Shalimar while Guerlain should try to get close to No. 5. The winner was then allowed to launch his product on the market. And it seems that Guerlain was the winner, who brought Liu to the people.

So, now I come to the fragrance, I have no more sample of No. 5 of Chanel, but I try to remember the fragrance of Chanel as well as I can, to which this fragrance should resemble so much, while I sniff at this Guerlain!

The fragrance:
Hm... the scent begins with strong aldehydes and is also powdery. But this fragrance is also a little different because I already smell roses and jasmine now and am not quite sure if this was the case with No. 5 right at the beginning. Be that as it may, the fragrance smells of aldehydes, roses, jasmine and in the background of further, not further identifiable flowers that come across a little difficult.
A little later Neroli appears and the sweetness of jasmine seems to mix a little with an amber-like sweetness. The powdery notes come from the iris, even if you have to smell it a little more precisely to recognize the iris, I mean.
Also later the scent smells of aldehydes, roses and powdery scents, as well as the sweetness of jasmine, only towards the end the scent becomes a little softer than at the beginning, presumably because the iris and vanilla gain some strength and thus make the scent softer, while the aldehydes gradually lose some strength.
Everything is okay, maybe a little old-fashioned, but at least nice smelling.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The Sillage is strong, because the fragrance can be smelled immediately with the first sprayer, also for others. And for a while it also remains well-smellable, so that you really don't have to get close to it to smell the scent of one.
I also found the durability quite good with over ten hours of endurance.

The bottle:
Soo... with such old fragrances there are (or were) of course a lot of flacons, including the bottle that looked like today's Lui from 2017. The most recent, however, seems to be the Guerlain-typical bee flacon, which is decorated with bees and other patterns worked into the glass and looks great as always. On the front you can see a label with the name of the fragrance, the lid is gold-plated and round and on the neck a nice bow was attached. So as always a successful and beautiful bottle.

Soo people, this fragrance now smells like No. 5 of Chanel. Even if I don't have No. 5 in my head anymore, I would say: Yes, it actually reminds me of No. 5, especially because of the aldehydes. Maybe you could say here what many also think, namely that Liu would smell like a nice mix of No. 5 and Shalimar.

In any case, it is a nice women's fragrance, but today it may look a little old-fashioned and therefore very mature and therefore nothing for the younger girls. He looks elegant, for nice nice evenings,... but biteable he doesn't make one,... yeah, you're lucky I won't drool now, hey he :DD

It is worth a test, especially if you like scents like Chanels No.5 or Guerlains Shalimar etc., because it is possible that you wouldn't be able to do anything with such scents. Because some people told me that the scent would be really strong and the scent was not their thing at all. Yeah, it's just a tryout here.

I wish you all a nice evening, and if I should not publish anything tomorrow or so here for once, then I wish you a nice weekend! :)
Gelis
Head too strong, heart and base too weak
"Liu," unfortunately, doesn't elicit gales of enthusiasm from me:

Top note:
Long-lasting aldehydes, whose hairspray note is fortunately somewhat softened by powder.

Heart notes:
Rose and jasmine have a hard time asserting themselves against the top note. Then, however, I have for a too short while a beautiful floral-powdery scent in the nose, with the woody notes of the base already hinting. For me, the best moment of "Liu".

Base note:
As the heart notes take their leave, the vanilla beckons shyly, dragging the even shyer iris behind it, striding over a woody base.

Sillage:
The top note is still clearly in the room, quickly retreats to half arm's length and at the latest in the heart note phase my nose hovers directly above the wrist. Exception: after the dog walk, I pull open the zipper and it surprises me - at this point - a beautiful surge of heart notes. The sillage testifies to everyday suitability, but actually "Liu" is probably not meant that way.

Durability:
Although the fragrance is overall subtle, it is quite durable. After 10 hours, I can still perceive a touch.

Comparison to Chanel's No 5:
They are similar in that they are floral powdery scents. The differences for me are 1. that in No 5 the aldehydes fade away within 30 seconds and due to the accompanying top notes, No 5 is much fresher at the beginning; 2. that the lilies of the valley create this clean note of No 5, which I find so successful because not too intrusive; 3. that the base note seems warmer due to amber. Overall, No 5 (EdT, EdC + EdP) is more present with me.

Conclusion: the aldehydes are too much and too strong for me. It was a matter of luck that I caught the beautiful heart note moment (apart from "after the dog round"). The base is too weak for me.

I thank Izayoi for sharing

Guerlain Liu
I found an old 1930s bottle of the extrait in an antique store. I took off the cap and smelled the most wonderful floral balanced with animalic notes to magnify the florals. In its history, it was Guerlains answer to Chanels beheamoth No5. I find this infantely more feminine, lush and thoughtful than No. 5. Its newest incarnation is a lighter whisper of the vintage extrait but does manage to capture its feel and identity.

Scentimental
Guerlain Les Parisiennes 'Liu'
I must say I have not made the 'Chanel' connection but would say to my nose it has a spiciness and slightly animalic accord that is more reminiscent of a slightly floral version of Derby. Would work for ladies and gents.

Turandots' hero
Liu is the name of the heroine in the last Opera of Puccini's "Turandot".

I am enthusiastic about the scent.
As mentioned by other Parfumos in Germany, he closely resembles Chanel No. 5. He is dry, dark, but not very floral, more bergamot Jasmin Woody amber, leathery and wonderfully powdery.

Liu is my hero.

I was allowed to test Liu vintage and say big thanks to Mojo2000.

by Gandix
by Aggeliki
by Merlina
by Merlina

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain