Lui by Guerlain

Lui is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and men and was released in 2017. The scent is spicy-leathery. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Benzoin, Carnation, Balsam, Leather

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 22.01.2020.

8.0 8.0 7.0 7.5/10

LUI Guerlain
Released in 2017 ( in my opinion a pretty good year for perfume releases), this co-authored fragrance from the legendary house has been a little bit of a sleeper. With prices coming down, i took the plunge and blind-bought based on as much research as possible. Here is my take.

7.0 5.0 7.0 7.0/10

Cultivated boredom with Nivea genes
A unisex scent called LUI is strange! According to Guerlain's homepage, this is a tribute to a perfume called LIU, which in 1929 was supposed to fuel the emancipation of women olfactorically. Today one wants to indulge in gender neutrality, that is how it is written there. This fragrance is said to be male and female at the same time and is described to me as flowery, woody and spicy. I don't really smell anything of leather, but I don't like that in its distinctive form anyway.

Now these are one marketing promises and the other is my feeling. That doesn't exactly yell "hooray" when I sniff LUI, but it doesn't yell "yuck" either! A flowery note (the carnation) can be clearly smelled and stands in a gentle way for the female touch. Pear is supposed to be in it, too, even if not listed here. And benzoin resin is supposed to smell very sensual and vanilla. Alone: I don't know exactly! ;-)

For a perfume at any rate, LUI is relatively thin, and even if I can't say anything really negative about it, it suits a woman better for me. And it has something of a "skin cream x-treme", at least that's my association. I thought long and hard about what the scent reminded me of. They are indeed skin care products, which should not smell unpleasant at all, but also not striking. A small dash of spice and sweetness, which appear after about half an hour, and we are there! :-)

For 130 Euro à 50 ml however one (n) can give oneself this smell in my opinion confidently. He, LUI, is supposed to be something special in the Guerlain price structure, and that's definitely not what this perfume is. Suitable for everyday use and pleasant: yes! Challenging and dazzling: by no means! I don't mean to badmouth LUI here, but I will only put on the scent myself if I don't want to attract attention and still want to smell somehow fluffy, creamy and sensual.
9.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

Sweetsmell75
Liaison with carnation and leather
We are
together
grown
grown together

-Hans-Christoph Neuert-

Carnation and leather ... can that go well? I asked myself that at the time and yes ... it can go well :)
But it took me another year until I knew that Lui and I belonged together.
Now the chic bottle is in my perfume shelf and I am happy that I entered the Liason with Lui!

To the fragrance:
Lui starts with me immediately balsamic and slowly carnation and leather creep into the fragrance.
Don't worry, carnation sceptics ... the carnation is absolutely modern here :)
I find the leather to be edgy but not rough.
But benzoin is the main chord in this fragrance. The liasion with carnation and leather make this balsamic dream unique!
A beautiful, balsamic-powdery-sweet fragrance. Lui is soft and supple, not loud and also not for the big appearance. More of a soul flatterer for the quieter days of life. To melt away;)
A delicate fragrance restaurant surrounds me for the first few hours before Lui becomes very close. The shelf life is a good 8 hours plus.
Autumn/winter and the first days of spring fit perfectly.
Absolutely unisex, even if I had claimed a year ago that he was partly too masculine for me.
The Flakönchen is already very chic and looks noble :)

Conclusion:
Beautiful benzoin enters a liaison with carnation & leather.
Balsamic-powdery-sweet!
*melting*
The Sweetsmell likes the liaison with Lui:)

Thierry Wasser and Delphine Jelk have created a wonderful fragrance with Lui and a test is really worthwhile ;)

Zoikgreece 49 days ago
I can see my beautiful lover coming, dressed in black, holding in his arms dozens of carnations for me, smelling cloves and noble leather.+2
10.0
6.0
6.0
10.0
ScentedSalon 2 years ago
Benzoin overdose with resin and smoke. Very much like Tonka Imperiale and slightly like Bois d'Armenie. Slightly leaning masculine. Love it.+2

For Fresh Foto Challenge mit KGTM :)
by KatharinaG
by Moenti
by RobK
by RobK

Popular Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Jicky (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain Héritage (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain