Lui by Guerlain
Lui is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and men and was released in 2017. The scent is spicy-sweet. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Benzoin, Carnation, Balsam, Leather

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 14.09.2020.

Rich, Deep and Well Blended Fragrance
Guerlain's LUI is a rich and deep well-blended fragrance. Definitely unisex. I like the vanilla and balsamic tendencies in this fragrance. The dry down is amazing. Carnation can sometimes become "Lipstick" like on skin (like a make-up bag). For me this fragrance comes up to the line in terms of smelling like a lipstick or make-up bag, but doesn't go over the edge (perhaps it's just my skin?). It's cozy, warm and woody. Very wearable and pleasant. Heed my warning you only need 1 - 2 sprays. Great for Fall and Winter. I would give this one a 10 / 10, but on my skin the carnation brings this to an 8 / 10 - and that's just my skin chemistry. Great fragrance to add to anyone's collection.
Grows with every test
Which and which fragrance enthusiasts does she not know, these wow moments that occur every now and then. Barely sprayed on, it goes through you like lightning: Wow, what a scent!
One of my deepest and most lasting wow experiences many years ago was the old version of 'Dioressence'.
I first saw 'LUI' about two years ago. The beautiful bottle alone gave me the chance to grab it, but this time nothing happened. No wow, nowhere. Instead, I sniffed my wrist a little at a loss.
A Guerlain? Where was that typical DNA? What is so special about this fragrance?
I found no answer, and classified 'LUI' under: boring, chumming up modern, leathery Oriental, smelled x times, without depth and special development.

How to be wrong sometimes after all!

If 'LUI' wasn't in this strikingly beautiful art deco bottle, I probably would have avoided it with such labels. But that's how he kept drawing me back. Could it be that there really was such a boring and banal fragrance in such a pretty bottle?
Yeah, it could be. At least that is what the following tests showed.
Then, a few weeks ago, suddenly everything was different, for whatever reason.
Actually I just wanted to see if the new 'Bois Mysterieux' still smells the same as my old 'Songe d'un Bois d'Été', but there was no tester available. Instead there was this seductively beautiful 'LUI' again. Rather bored and actually assuming that I had already discarded the scent often enough as uninteresting, I took it up again.
What was that? Suddenly, a seductive aroma escaped from the pretty boy!
What had happened?
Nothing, really. The scent was clearly the same, but somehow a switch seemed to be flipped. What I had previously found banal and boring was suddenly interesting and exciting: a wonderfully aromatic powdery clove aroma, combined with something subtly fruity, lay over a smoothed, civilized leather note that was lolling on a bed of resinous-balsamic benzoin - great!
But: so far, so unspectacular. It really wasn't the first benzoin leather scent. But suddenly I had an 'open nose' for the real strength of this fragrance: its quality.

LUI' does not score with originality, does not throw itself at any niche oud, saffron or immortelle hype, but does not offer itself to any contemporary mainstream synthetics either.
No, 'LUI' is basically - that's how I experienced him the first times - an inconspicuous guy whose advantages, even elegance, don't really want to show to advantage. Fortunately, however, he is wearing this chic outfit - rarely has a bottle been such an eye-catcher.
But now that my nose has opened for this fragrance, so to speak, I actually no longer feel any discrepancy between beauty on the one hand and inconspicuousness on the other. Both, inside and outside, actually fit together quite well: This bottle jewel actually contains a fragrance jewel. One that does not immediately appeal to the inclined consumer, but rather wants to be discovered.

Reading reviews and comments on 'LUI', the question keeps coming up as to what on earth this fragrance has to do with its sister fragrance 'LIU', the decade-old aldehyde bomb once contained in a very similar art deco bottle. In 1929 Guerlain launched this fragrance, reminiscent of Chanel's 'No 5', inspired by a character from Puccini's last opera, 'Turandot', which was very popular at the time. Liu, the slave, resists all torture and chooses suicide rather than reveal her secret. It is this strength, this courage, that melts the ice shield of Princess Turandot.
Aldehyde-pregnant fragrances like 'LIU', but especially Chanel's 'No 5', launched 8 years earlier, were very popular with women wearing garçonne fashion. Flapper-look and short-hair hairstyles contributed to the rather boyish appearance of the garçonne.
Guerlain's 'LIU' came quite late though. Again.
As with 'Mitsouko', 'Shalimar' and later 'Vetiver', Guerlain showed that you don't have to constantly tap into your creative potential to reinvent the wheel again and again. Sometimes it was just more advisable to demonstrate that one simply knew one's craft better than the others.
What was achieved with the three fragrances mentioned above, however, could not be repeated with 'LIU'. Chanel's 'No 5' remained unmatched, no matter how popular the opera character whose name was borrowed and how beautiful the bottle. LIU' did not become one of the great Guerlain legends, but nevertheless remained permanently in the Guerlain catalogue, probably because of its undeniable qualities.

LUI it is.
No aldehydes, no rose, no jasmine and no iris, but vanilla and woody notes, which can be found in the wide range of scents of benzoic resin. Here, 'LUI' docks on 'LIU' and expands this spectrum with lots of resinous and balsamic facets, adds leathery, powdery, aromatic and discreetly fruity ones, thus shifting the clearly feminine fragrance cosmos of 'LIU' in a much more masculine direction. LUI' thus becomes the male counterpart of 'LIU', but does not break the bridge to the feminine language of fragrance with benzoin, carnation and pear.
If a garçonne of the 20s and 30s may have chosen Chanel's 'No 5' or 'LIU', a garçonne of the present time would certainly prefer 'LUI'. In my opinion, 'LUI' is indeed a modern garçonne fragrance, even if it refuses to follow fashion trends and synthetics. Its modernity consists rather in adapting a nearly one hundred year old fragrance concept to today's habits and preferences. Women have long since begun to capture the woody, leathery and spicy scents of their partners, to adopt them for themselves - a 'LUI' is not really necessary.
But 'LUI' works a little differently, it is not an unambiguous men's fragrance, just as it is far away from an unambiguous women's fragrance.
But it's not unisex in the true sense of the word either, because I find its basic tendency to be more masculine: a masculine fragrance with an open side to the feminine. Just as 'lui' in French usually means 'for him', but not always: it can also mean 'her'. Je lui dis' can be 'I tell him', or 'I tell her', depending on the context
Of course, 'LUI' does not offer a novel fragrance concept with these qualities. There are countless similar fragrances that elude the platitudinous unisex label and play much more cleverly with homme/femme attribution. And yet with 'LUI', Guerlain has succeeded after a long time in doing something for which this house has long stood, namely not completely reinventing things, but simply making them better.
Bravo, Guerlain!!
LUI' has a fantastic durability with moderate projection. Here again the rather masculine basic tendency is revealed: according to classical understanding the gentleman does not have to outrun the lady olfactorically. She may blow up the room in a fragrant way. He prefers to convince through unobtrusive persistence.
Just like LUI

LUI Guerlain
Released in 2017 ( in my opinion a pretty good year for perfume releases), this co-authored fragrance from the legendary house has been a little bit of a sleeper. With prices coming down, i took the plunge and blind-bought based on as much research as possible. Here is my take.

Cultivated boredom with Nivea genes
A unisex scent called LUI is strange! According to Guerlain's homepage, this is a tribute to a perfume called LIU, which in 1929 was supposed to fuel the emancipation of women olfactorically. Today one wants to indulge in gender neutrality, that is how it is written there. This fragrance is said to be male and female at the same time and is described to me as flowery, woody and spicy. I don't really smell anything of leather, but I don't like that in its distinctive form anyway.

Now these are one marketing promises and the other is my feeling. That doesn't exactly yell "hooray" when I sniff LUI, but it doesn't yell "yuck" either! A flowery note (the carnation) can be clearly smelled and stands in a gentle way for the female touch. Pear is supposed to be in it, too, even if not listed here. And benzoin resin is supposed to smell very sensual and vanilla. Alone: I don't know exactly! ;-)

For a perfume at any rate, LUI is relatively thin, and even if I can't say anything really negative about it, it suits a woman better for me. And it has something of a "skin cream x-treme", at least that's my association. I thought long and hard about what the scent reminded me of. They are indeed skin care products, which should not smell unpleasant at all, but also not striking. A small dash of spice and sweetness, which appear after about half an hour, and we are there! :-)

For 130 Euro à 50 ml however one (n) can give oneself this smell in my opinion confidently. He, LUI, is supposed to be something special in the Guerlain price structure, and that's definitely not what this perfume is. Suitable for everyday use and pleasant: yes! Challenging and dazzling: by no means! I don't mean to badmouth LUI here, but I will only put on the scent myself if I don't want to attract attention and still want to smell somehow fluffy, creamy and sensual.
Sweetsmell75
Liaison with carnation and leather
We are
together
grown
grown together

-Hans-Christoph Neuert-

Carnation and leather ... can that go well? I asked myself that at the time and yes ... it can go well :)
But it took me another year until I knew that Lui and I belonged together.
Now the chic bottle is in my perfume shelf and I am happy that I entered the Liason with Lui!

To the fragrance:
Lui starts with me immediately balsamic and slowly carnation and leather creep into the fragrance.
Don't worry, carnation sceptics ... the carnation is absolutely modern here :)
I find the leather to be edgy but not rough.
But benzoin is the main chord in this fragrance. The liasion with carnation and leather make this balsamic dream unique!
A beautiful, balsamic-powdery-sweet fragrance. Lui is soft and supple, not loud and also not for the big appearance. More of a soul flatterer for the quieter days of life. To melt away;)
A delicate fragrance restaurant surrounds me for the first few hours before Lui becomes very close. The shelf life is a good 8 hours plus.
Autumn/winter and the first days of spring fit perfectly.
Absolutely unisex, even if I had claimed a year ago that he was partly too masculine for me.
The Flakönchen is already very chic and looks noble :)

Conclusion:
Beautiful benzoin enters a liaison with carnation & leather.
Balsamic-powdery-sweet!
*melting*
The Sweetsmell likes the liaison with Lui:)

Thierry Wasser and Delphine Jelk have created a wonderful fragrance with Lui and a test is really worthwhile ;)

TorkeTorke 7 days ago
Amazing soft, benzoin-laced, leather.
Not that great of a performance overall, but not terrible either.
Amazing scent.
ZoikgreeceZoikgreece 10 months ago
I can see my beautiful lover coming, dressed in black, holding in his arms dozens of carnations for me, smelling cloves and noble leather.
ScentedSalonScentedSalon 3 years ago
Benzoin overdose with resin and smoke. Very much like Tonka Imperiale and slightly like Bois d'Armenie. Slightly leaning masculine. Love it.

For Fresh Foto Challenge mit KGTM :)
by KatharinaG
by KatharinaG
by Sweetsmell75
by Sweetsmell75
by Baptiste
by Baptiste
by Minea
Ihr Lieben, herzlichen Dank für eure wohlwollenden Worte & Auszeichnungen zum David Lui Arrangement :)
by EveMist
by Chanelle
by RobK
by RobK

Popular Guerlain

Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Cologne) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain