Mitsouko Eau de Parfum

Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain
Bottle Design Baccarat
Top 94 in Women's Perfume
Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women. The release year is unknown. The scent is chypre-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
OakmossOakmoss
SpicesSpices
VetiverVetiver
CinnamonCinnamon

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 30.09.2021.

Childhood Memories
When a nose knows something, it recognizes it later.
As a girl, I was always invited to our neighbors in January for a birthday, because our wife neighbor had a whole three boys and might have liked to have a girl there. She always fulfills this wish on children's birthdays.
And as a girl you have to go to the toilet, especially on birthdays when there was a lot to eat and drink. The visitors' toilet was to the right of the front door, in the cold hallway past the gadrobe. That's where the family's coats hung, or rather our wife's neighbor's fur coats and..
they always smelled - (perfume - I didn't know until then).
Much later I found out that it must have been Mitsouko, because the memories of the scent of our Mrs. neighbor came to me when I was a young woman and wanted to smell or buy something special, if it was not to be the racer Janine D. as at that time. In the wonderful perfumery they showed me various classics by Guerlain, I was just 20 years old then. Mitsouko was there and the feeling came back: past the fur coats and then hurry in the winter because of the cold toilet seat, because there was not heated....
Mitsouko - not sweet and not heavy either, maybe a bit woodsy (we lived near the forest) - not loud, somehow close to nature and definitely rather ladylike.
Today Mitsouko is in my stock and I use it again and again with pleasure in memory of our Mrs. Neighbour, who has gone unfortunately very early from us.

Peachy Mitsy
The famous peach note. Clearly present in the background, without pushing the whole composition towards 'fruity'. While the scent develops from soft citrus to soft floral on moss, this ripe peach persists. Its spicy, camphorous nuances add a bit of oriental warmth to the otherwise chilly serious attitude. Brilliant!

INDIGOSPHINX
The Inspiration for Under My Skin??
So when i first sprayed this on, there was an immediate familiarity to it. I was puzzled as no one that I known of has ever worn this so .... strange...

Last year I acquired a perfume that was shocking to me, it's called under my skin by FB. Very dark juice. That was so sensual and musky that I simply found it unwearable. If you can pull it off, more power to you. I am at a stage where I only want to keep the frags I can confidently rock outside of my house. So I sold that masterpiece. It smells divine in many ways but I can't confidently wear it

When a friend gifted me this. I was so excited for it. I mean, it's one of the biggest names in perfumery right?

It's indeed beautiful.
If you don't like Chanel no 5, you may very well enjoy this. But if you hate 24 Fouberg, stay away from this as I sense some similarities.

What do I get from this?
Fluid-like musk, Spices, Nuances of peach and florals

I've heard this scent is supposed to smell melancholy, I don't get that at all (reviewing a 2015 batch)
This is definitely mature and requires an appreciation for artistic perfumery to pull off.

To compare this with Under My Skin:

Spiciness:
UMS is more spicy with more black pepper, I didn't detect any cumin in UMS so it's still not super BO like. But there is a sweatiness to UMS. Mitsouko share a lot of the same spices, majorly cloves and cinnamon to my nose. It's on the verge of sweatiness but not as much as UMS,

Muskiness:
Even though Mitsouko is not as spicy as UMS, the body fluid texture that the amber in Mitsouko gives off makes it just as sensual as UMS in my opinion. If you are big into animalics, you'd enjoy the current formulation of Mitsouko I think.

Floralness:
UMS=Orris centric
Mitsouko=Old school french jasmine+rose blend

In conclusion, this is an amazing perfume in terms of artistic value. I would never have had it if not for my friend who gifted it to me. My recommendation is:

If you are a man who comfortably wears No 5 EDP, 24 Fouberg, or other grand feminine perfumes without feeling self-conscious and people assuming stuff about you. GO FOR THIS ONE!!

If you are a woman who is confident, classical in nature. No matter the age, you'll enjoy this one. Although I'd recommend the EDT for summers.

I personally, at this moment, feel like I'd never wear this outside of my house LOL. In fact, I don't even wear it, I spray it on some object and just study the scent.
Serenissima
the scent of the abandoned lover
Already before the I. Jacques Guerlain had delighted the fragrance world: 1906 with "Après l'ondée" and 1912 with "L'Heure bleue".
But his world was also in ruins in 1919; the reconstruction of the company was to be crowned with a fragrance adapted to the times.
Women had changed: they were fresh and slim, suddenly wearing bobbed heads and daring bell hats: they smoked and drove cars!

"Mitsouko", with its stylized bell-hat cap and very special flacon shape, was in keeping with the new times when it was launched as late as 1919.
And yet Jacques Guerlain took a step back in the creation; he remembered the general enthusiasm at the turn of the century for all things Japanese.
Of the tears that flowed to Giacomo Puccini's music around the fate of the geisha Cio-Cio-San/"Madama Butterfly".
And to the novel "La Bataille" by Claude Farrère, whose heroine Mitsouko, wife of an admiral, falls in love with a British naval attaché during the Russo-Japanese War.
("How the images resemble each other!" to stay with Puccini.)

From the beginning, "Mitsouko" embodied the new way of life and heartfelt stories.
So it's really no wonder that Serge Diaghilev was delighted and declared "Mitsouko" his favorite perfume.

I have "Mitsouko" only recently got to know and love.
There was a time when everything was just too much for me: too much Chanel, too much Dior and also too much Guerlain.
I felt probably overwhelmed, wanted to read, hear and smell no more of it!
Only when I saw the stylish and so lovingly arranged photos of my facebook friend Jessica with "Mitsouko" as a focal point (large and small crystal flacon, painted vials of porcelain - all with hat closure, plus mirrors, flowers and candles - just gorgeous), I was ready to approach this fragrance lady. I became curious!
Luckily, I was allowed to choose some fragrance samples from Floramalia's collection, and since the first fragrance letter was a bit of a waste, I even got a second bottling.
Many thanks for this, so I could really get involved with "Mitsouko" Eau de Parfum.

"Mitsouko" has an aura all of its own; that of a sophisticated floral chypres against an amber background: very classy, but composed or great detours.
The top note was arranged without frills from the classic fragrance notes of citrus and flowers:
Bergamot and a pleasantly fresh citrus note meet the beauty of rose and jasmine right at the beginning. Both generously exude their noble aroma.
Lilac and ylang ylang complete, together with ripe peach aroma, the feeling of a summer garden; its luxurious security, of lingering there.
Summer noble flower gardens and ripe fruits are not uncommon in precious fragrance fabrics.
But the fresh scent of oak moss, wood and spices, stored on a precious amber base, make the difference here: si make "Mitsouko" something very special.

How grateful I am that this door to the opulent world of Guerlain's fragrances, which I had closed, has been opened again by these beautiful photos.
"Mitsouko" EdP does not yet have a permanent place on my Guerlain fragrance scale; the classics are all so extraordinary that it is almost impossible for me to categorize them.
Today it's "Shalimar," tomorrow it'll be "Mitsouko," and the day after? - Who knows!

The "fragrance kindergarten" of this company from the last decade certainly also still holds many nice surprises. Some I was already allowed to test and also comment.
The classic fragrances play in their own league and will continue to do so; whereby I am very happy about the recent acquaintance with "L'Heure bleue" and "Mitsouko".
They are all one thing: a daily enrichment!
Tradescantia
A classic fragrance, just a little daring-A legend
I miss Mitsouko very much.

It has been lost to me through a very annoying circumstance, which I will not go into.

Meanwhile I am calmly facing it again and can dedicate a comment to Mitsouko.

If I do get another Guerlain besides L'Heure Bleue, it will be this one or Shalimar as an edt. Both are so wonderful. And until that decision is made, I'm happy to wait.

Mitsouko is soft, a bit melancholic, but it doesn't get lost in melancholy, it's strong and radiant. Almost a little rosy.

And rose is in there too, as a great secondary accord.

Right next door, the citrus announce themselves, which together with the bergamot provide fresh clear air.
Both notes remain very soft. Nothing bites here. Very nice.

Mitsouko is graceful, like a geisha.
She would not make a mistake and would never be rude, even if she were offended.
Mitsouko is too proud for that.
She is sublime. Without any arrogance.

Lilac and ylang ylang are perceptible to me. Both fragrance notes give me basically pleasure.

And lilac is now rare to smell and reminds me of childhood. Have been able to admire lilacs so often in nature and partly picked and put in a vase in my room.

Also here a nostalgic feeling announces itself, which creeps me only rarely, however, is quite immanent to the classics.
Mitsouko Edp is a soft delight for me, but what makes it so special for me is that it awakens my wanderlust. Wanderlust. Curiosity in a practical sense is aroused.
Drive.

I travel very seldom. Theoretical matters I acquire quickly, but I do not feel the urge to act as quickly as the need to think in peace. Silence at the desk.
Only the ticking of the clock, which at some point no longer disturbs, is to be heard. Concentration. The focus is just where it should be.

Mitsouko is a little daring, but not too much. Something bolder may be the Eau de Toilette, which I also very much appreciate.
It just doesn't develop as well on my skin as the Eau de Parfum.

The famous peach note, which is very authentic, is better on my skin when I use the edp.

I often think about the modern classic "On the road", a book that shaped the beatnik subculture.
Mitsouko is much older and by far more classic and tender, but in the novel my wanderlust is equally awakened, the desire to travel and also spontaneity is a theme of the novel.

While Mitsouko is a masterpiece that is very thoughtful, it still feels lively and sweet.
However, not too lovely, there is a bit of adventurousness in the bottle.

Oak moss is also the basic building block here.
Mitsouko is for me a woodier, deeper and more full-bodied No. 19.
While the scents don't have a lot in common, aside from the fact that they touch me a lot. And I like both of them better as edp.

Mitsouko is really lovely, but not sweet.
She is an adult. However, a gentle nature. Green, woodsy, mossy.
Warm. Mitsouko would manage to give a Steppenwolf a sense of security.

Woodiness is not a theme of the perfume, but vetiver works very well placed here.
Cinnamon I hear, but only quietly and other spices I can not detect.
For me, really pleasant

Mitsouko will again find a place on my secretary.
I'm sure it will.

Have fun with this extraordinary perfume.
BelAmi
Once Mitsouko, always Mitsouko.
Mitsouko has been with me for almost a decade. Sprayed on in a perfumery, because just sniffing the bottle was so wonderful. Spending an evening at the theatre with the fragrance on my wrist - always fine clouds of scent - fruity, woody, melancholic, deep and yet full of warmth. Not a bit old-fashioned for my nose. Since that evening Mitsouko accompanied me. Around the clock, whereby one sprayer is sufficient for a good 10 hours. He brought me the most beautiful scent compliments. It was one of the few fragrances I could wear during pregnancy. A splash under the sweater is enough. Mitsouko works his way through clothes. In summer I wore the eau de toilette, on cooler and colder days the eau de perfume. Then I came across perfume. Since then, I've fallen in love with all kinds of perfumes countless times. They came and went. Only a few stayed. And even fewer made it into my private "Heart's Fragrances" category. In the course of the last few years, all my bottles changed. Except for one. Mitsouko stayed. It's been a long time since I wore it. But to give him away, no, it was always obvious it would be wrong. I gave away other fragrances and thought that if I ever asked for it again, I would get a new one - that would certainly affect a handful of fragrances in my collection. With Mitsouko this question never arose. Whenever I passed the Guerlain counter here in my city and went on a fragrance journey with new scents, Mitsouko always came up with something new. Then the consultant said very calmly and as if it was the most normal thing in the world (she has certainly been working for Guerlain for over 20 years) "once Mitsouko, always Mitsouko. Once you love him, you'll never stop loving him." And she tells me, a perfume!

Recently, and this is a very special time, my Mitsouko bottle fell into my hands again. A spray on my wrist and since then, despite the spring sun, I can't seem to get away from it. In the meantime, if I have followed it correctly, it has had 1-2 reformulations. And my perfume heart was very curious about the new version. Today it arrived. Tensely I unpacked it. A white instead of gold-colored cardboard. The flacon unchanged. And the scent. It's definitely Mitsouko. A bit more austere and masculine than the other contents of my bottle. A little more transparent, less dense, less fruity. After two or three hours, I can hardly tell the difference and it lasts just as long. This version, too, works its way through your clothes and exudes its melancholic warmth. What I am glad that there is this wonderful scent. And if I had money, a lot of money, I would love to have one of these beautiful, though hopelessly impractical bee flacons. Or a big bottle of the Extract. As Guerlain's advisor said so beautifully "30 ml of Extrait you can dare - once you love Mitsouko, you will always love him".

Carlitos01
The young memory of a century old perfume
With an original formula by Jacques Guerlain dated 1919 and the name of a seductive Japanese lady, it currently obeys a very happy reformulation by Thierry Wasser, the Guerlain in-house perfumer.
It is a typical Chypre that opens with citrus fruits, ripe peach, and has a powerful oakmoss as a top base note. We find a soft sweetness in the heart notes, which arrive both floral and fruity (peach). At the bottom, we find an ambergris frame with a touch of spices and cinnamon that refines its sweetness during the dry down.
I consider it a more unisex perfume than a feminine one, and according to the statistics of its buyers, more than 25% are men.
It has an above-average performance that allows you to confidently face its prolonged use for a whole day or a late night out.
I love using this vintage (pseudo) feminine scents from Guerlain. Perhaps Mitsouko is the most overly unisex Guerlain, followed by Shalimar and Jicky. I classify L'Heure Bleue as the least masculine of all, but I sometimes use it as well. Given the unisex tendency of all referred perfumes, they all have men who like to use them, and I include myself in that number.

How can I classify this mix of lady and samurai?
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Opening: 9.5 (very nice spicy and almost fresh opening; It presents a floral sweetness that evolves to a fruity spicy one due to the peach and cinnamon notes)
DryDown: 8.5 (long mossy and ambery dry down with an animalistic touch)
Longevity: 9.0 (2 good sprays can last 9+ hours)
Sillage: 8.0 (up to 6 feet at its peak with 2 sprays; projects for 2.5 hours)
Uniqueness: 8.5 (It has its own DNA but somewhat similar to other vintage Chypres)
Wearability: 9.0 (A three-season fragrance for outdoors or indoors, day or night; just avoid the hot summer days)
Versatility: 8.5 (A very easy to wear all around unisex fragrance; just forget sports and seaside)
Compliments: 8.0 (You will smell good to everybody but not in a seductive way)
Quality: 9.5 (above-average quality ingredients, nice plunger, nice sprayer)
Presentation: 9.0 (very nice presentation for a vintage Chypre)
Price: 8.0 (EdP 75 ml tester for € 45.00 + shipping)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Overall rating: 8.68 / 10.00
- between 7 and 8 = above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recommended;
- greater than 9 = do not miss;

Recommendation: If you are a woman this is a must-have in my opinion. It fits better ladies after 30 years old and/or formal clothes. If you are a man, you should better try it first. As far as I am concerned it's a must-have.

Music: Cats Musical - "Memory"

Mitsouko Eau de Parfum
Now in its one hundred and first year of production, my review is based on a decant of the current version on the shelves. I have not tried other iterations of Mitsouko other than this one and my review is based entirely on this. Thank you for watching.

Alexandrea
1919 for 2020... not yesterday's!
Since I soon have the vintage versions of my favorite fragrances from my youth and early adult years together, the hunting ground had to be expanded. I first dealt with "vintage perfumes", by which I mean perfumes that appeared in the birth year of my loved ones. But during my studies I continued to drift away: Which perfume is the oldest, which perfume houses have been on the market for how long? I came from Höcksken to Stöcksken... are there any of the old creations left on the market?
So I ended up with Guerlain, studied your comments and statements about Jicky, L'Heure Bleu and Mitsouko. All three make me incredibly curious, but somewhere you have to start and the lot fell on the latter.
You can find the reason for this in the title above :-D
New Year's Eve is just around the corner, we've been planning the party for a long time, motto 20/20.
i was ahead of time to move on to 2020???? la, got something!
So I'm off to check out the perfumeries in my town. And indeed, one (!) of them had Mitsouko and his tester on the shelf.

I sprayed Mitsouko directly on my wrist and seconds later I could guess what the top note would be.

The top note starts like a drumbeat, glistening bright. Oha, that kicks right into the central nervous system. Bergamot and citrus fruits act like a cold shower, a wake-up call that demands all your attention. This lightness and clarity does step back, but remains in the core and, gives the fragrance a subtle coolness, This coolness does not make you shiver, it rather seems to open the airways, to free the head. As if, after a long time spent in a room overcrowded with people, one would finally step oxygen out of each other. I hope you understand what I mean. I don't mean the "Fisherman's Friends" effect, just the feeling of fresh, oxygen-rich air flowing back into the lungs. This effect is then maintained by a well-dosed pinch of cinnamon and spices. But here a Christmas market scent or even spicy Chai-Latte aroma does not develop at all. These spices are all in all so flattering, so extremely soft, as I have never smelled them before. Apart from the clearly definable cinnamon note, no other spices appear clearly definable to me, yet they are there. Mitsouko has for my sensation an oriental note, which is very soft, round and minimally sweet. Add to that a chord of flowers. Between all this the peach floats, peers out, withdraws again... often I can only guess at it, but not grasp it. Mitsouko gets depth from woody notes that at least on my skin don't seem scratchy green. Again and again the different themes emerge in the course of the fragrance. This is so exciting, so complex without knocking over. I find him absolutely WOW.

Unfortunately I lack the words to better describe this effect, but he reminds me of Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" of 1924. Gershwin declared it a "musical experiment" that combines traditional symphonies with modern jazz. Until today the Rhapsody in Blue is one of the most played pieces. Because it goes under people's skin. Whoever gets involved with it, takes it, better, sweeps it away. Just like Mitsouko: Mitsouko is grounded and seduced, makes you dream and feel lively....
I wonder if Gershwin saw his role model in Guerlain Yeah, I know, pretty far-fetched. What both creators have in common is the following thought: Do not demonize the good of tradition, but keep it alive through the new, stand in the here and now, look to the future. That is and remains modern!

I would like to close with my music example and am curious whether you will find more.
Do you have a good quarter of an hour? Yes? Okay, then. Let the music work its magic on you If you like, look for a comfortable couch, put your feet up, close your eyes, listen and follow the music. For me Mitsouko feels like this.

The Return of Longing
Finally, the days are getting longer again. The last snowballs hide in shady corners. Warming sunbeams tickle my skin. And also the birds want to greet the approaching spring. It is her friendly singing that awakens in me the longing for airy green, for richly moist earth. After the peace and originality of the forests. And it is precisely this longing that makes me choose Mitsouko today. Already a few days I creep around the bottle, place it in my hand, take off the cap and suck the scent deep into it. This year it will rain Mitsouko - comments from the sky. 100 years. Milestone. Icon. Role model. Grand Dame and Diva.

Diva, if I make the mistake of putting her on the wrong job. Sprayed too close to the skin and it lifts the strict index finger, looks disgruntled, almost displeased.

Then rather by wasteful gesture put some sprayers into ether. Slowly the fine fog trickles down on my skin. So generously applied, Mitsouko now adheres to nothing at all bärbeißiges more. Friendly bergamot and light citrus fruits greet me. They are of natural freshness and neither harsh nor scratchy for me. They meet up with well-meaning jasmine and fragile-looking lilac. The appearance of the peach in this wonderful composition intoxicates every time anew. It has not yet developed its full sweetness, is still young and tender and yet can be perceived authentically as a fruit. A dream. But the most beautiful is yet to come. In the drydown Mitsouko - the serious, the silence - becomes incredibly cuddly. The almost shy flowers and the discreet fruitiness slowly give off the sceptre to a warm cinnamon note - for their endurance is fantastic. This takes all the rigour out of the oak moss and gives this masterpiece a golden shimmer.

There may be countless aspects that have made Mitsouko successful over so many generations. For me it symbolizes like no other fragrance the perfect symbiosis between the last icy breeze and the warming sunbeams of an early spring day. And exactly then she accompanies me on long hikes through the deep green silence of the forests. Mitsouko. The return of longing

JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 6 months ago
An eternal masterpiece. I will never get bored of the drydown of this fragrance. I don't care what people say: this is THE CHYPRE!
BertolucciKBertolucciK 8 months ago
Beautiful chypre, smooth, elegant. Typical J Guerlain opening with bergamot, jasmine, rose. Then a perfect blend o peach, oakmoss and spices
TruckladyTrucklady 2 years ago
Soul achingly exquisite.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
One of the best Guerlain to date. Fantastic chypre unisex fragrance with amazing mossy, spicy, floral, earthy and animal notes!
Jazzy76Jazzy76 4 years ago
Simply THE PERFUME. A timeless masterpiece, a work of art wearable expecially in special occasions or everytime you feel a classy lady!

by Rivegauche
by Entenradio
by Entenradio
by Jaromil
by Jaromil
.... und hier dann bearbeitet :)
by Blauemaus
by Hirooz
by Hirooz
by Annabelle
by Annabelle
Flakonfoto - noch unbearbeitet...
by Blauemaus
by Chanelle
by Philosykos
by Philosykos

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Shalimar Millésime Vanilla Planifolia by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain