Mitsouko (1919) Eau de Toilette

Mitsouko (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain
Bottle Design: Baccarat

Mitsouko (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 1919. The scent is chypre-spicy. It is still in production.

Submitted by BelAmi, last update on 10.10.2019

Variant of the fragrance concentration

Mitsouko (Eau de Toilette)

This is a variant of the perfume Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain, which differs in concentration.

8.0 7.0 7.0 8.5/10

Mitsouko - golden October
At home there was still a 4.2 ml miniature bottle lying around, which had to be tried out. After the application on the wrist a balsamic-spicy scent rose towards me. After the first few minutes, the fragrance changes into woody, delicate, delicate and aromatic, like freshly sawn wood. Citrus and floral notes are soft in the background and smile sweet. I find this scent solemn and it fits perfectly to the song I am listening to right now: "Laponie" by the French singer Zaz. "Le soleil dans mon coeur rechauffé." When the song's over, I press replay. "Je me rencontres de l'émotionalité de la vie." . A soft melodic speech song, accompanied by a delicate piano arrangement with gentle strings in the background, of course in French. Je suis enchantée! Lovely. This fragrance is too strong for my mother, but I find it very beautiful, wearable for a radiant and luxuriant lady who is elegant but does not hide her charms. It has a delicate ivory and beige colour. Golden light falls on her, behind her stands an orange tree. The oranges are slightly candied, the tree is sawn and exudes the scent of its wood, in addition a delicate bouquet of rose, jasmine, and ylang ylang, artfully bound, and light spices. This fragrance fits into the golden October, when the sun shimmers through the colorful foliage. Also the song "Suffering" by Lars Danielsson fits perfectly to this fragrance, a delicate jazz number with plucked cello and soft strings in the background. Very nice! Like this interplay of sounds, the scents of Mitsouko also play together, nothing dominates or stands out. The result is a very round, soft and warm fragrance. I'm glad I have him!
9.0 9.0 9.5/10

16paws
Not en vogue, but never unfashionable
I'm just beginning to discover the Guerlains for myself and you can't get past the classics like Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue, Jicky and Shalimar. Whether you like these fragrances or not, you should definitely have had them under your nose.

Mitsouko has been around for almost 100 years - a damn long time. The fragrance came onto the market in 1919, shortly after the end of the First World War, and heralded the "Roaring Twenties" or the "Golden Twenties". An age we associate with Charleston, Flapper Girls, Josephine Baker, F. Scott Fitzgerald and his wife Zelda Sayre, silent movie stars like Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Rudolph Valentino, Asta Nielsen, Mary Pickford, Gloria Swanson etc..

Mitsouko starts with citric notes, followed by earthy-moosy nuances and then I perceive cinnamon, closely followed by a spicy aroma. I can smell cloves, later a hint of nutmeg and this confuses me honestly, because these components should appear only in the base. I don't recognize flowers at all, at least not at the beginning.

After the citrus has vanished and the spices have settled, it becomes more flowery, underlaid with green. However, I don't smell single flowers and the smell doesn't steer, at least for me, in a cheerful direction. Seriously, adult, noble, absolutely timeless and elegant I would describe him.

The course is a little strange for me, because Mitsouko jumps again and again from flowery to spicy and then too earthy to mossy. An interplay - because sometimes the flowers are clearly in the foreground and immediately afterwards a change takes place and the spices occupy the room. After that the moss gets the main role and then the flowers are asked again and it starts all over again - quasi an endless loop. Such a fragrance, with such a development I never had under my nose before.

Mitsouko came to me as a bottling and it was not a spontaneous love. We had to find each other very slowly, little by little. But now I know that this work of art by Jacques Guerlain must become part of my collection. Not for every day, certainly not, but for special days when simply nothing else fits. In any case, I will also test the Mitsouko EdP and then decide which one to move in with me.

Mitsouko remains with me for about 12 hours, body close, actually from the beginning, but perceptible for me until the end. In my case the flowers form the conclusion, although they are almost imperceptible to me at the beginning, they can assert themselves against the spices and the moss in the end
9.0 5.0 8.0 1.5/10

Grandfather??
IT is the third time I wear mitsouko, and now I am rather sure it is nothing for me, the first two times, I had the impression it reminded me of something, something I didn't like but I wanted to give it a chance, a very distant memory of a smell, and today it hit me....it reminds me of my grandfather, he smelled like this. And as much as I loved my grandfather I really loved him so much, I did not like his "aftershave" that's what he named it. Well that's the smell I get from mitsouko, and the one I have is a vintage, I will keep it in my collection, the bottle is nice. But I won't wear it anymore, for me it is to masculin and I guess I am a to feminine person in smells....I am gonna scrub it off, really don't like it.
10.0 5.0 8.0 9.0/10

Queen of Chypres
There isn't much more to add to what has been said. We know it's significance. It has it's place in history of perfume, it's been called the best of all time etc.

It's oakmoss and peach and rose and many other things, it's like a secluded garden in a forest full of flowers, with the smell of rain still in the air. Jacques Guerlain wanted to evoke with this "the smell of a womans skin". I understand what he was trying to do.

I also don't see how anyone would not like this. It's floral, fruity, but so deep and earthly and rich and very hard to describe. I find it very unique. A wonderful mossy, beautiful fragrance, and a wonderful experience to smell. I really think everyone should try this. I don't think "old lady" or other labels. It really doesn't smell like much else and it was the inspiration (like Jicky and Shalimar), for not just many other classics, but also much of what we have today in the world of perfume.

I think this should be preserved forever as something really special. It has no gender, time or place. It should stand as something for all and everyone, and for all time. Real art in a bottle. Wonderful stuff!

Trucklady 166 days ago
Now and then, an EDT gets to the heart of the matter, whereas the parfum takes a winding uphill journey. Mitsi edt is it and more.

Discussions about Mitsouko (Eau de Toilette)

ChapeauClack in Perfumes & Brands

by MadameLegras
by MadameLegras
by Coriolon
by Coriolon
Zitrisch, würzig, feminin und elegant! Mitsouko, ein wundervoller Klassiker!
by Olentia
by Merlina
by Merlina
by Pistazieneis
by Pistazieneis
by pudelbonzo
by pudelbonzo

Popular Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Jicky (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain