Mitsouko 1919Eau de Toilette

Mitsouko (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain
Bottle Design Baccarat
Top 61 in Women's Perfume
Mitsouko (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 1919. The scent is chypre-spicy. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Jasmine, Rose, Citrus fruits
Heart Notes Heart NotesLilac, Peach, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Oakmoss, Spices, Vetiver, Cinnamon

Submitted by BelAmi, last update on 14.01.2021.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain, which differs in concentration.

My angel
It's striking that we keep talking about scents and memories. Whether it's on the forum, in comments, or wonderful blog posts, it does seem to be on everyone's mind, especially right now. No wonder, given what's going on. I guess when times are tough, it's automatic to want to reminisce. Especially nice ones.
Salva's wonderful comment drew my attention to this fragrance. Oops, I thought, how come I've never come across this one before? Chivalrously, a sample was sent to me in a flash. I will be eternally grateful because this scent has been a companion for years without me knowing it. The statement "Nanu, how is it that I have never met him?" I must therefore withdraw.
The attentive perfume reader now suspects that this will be a personal comment. Who does not like that, I wish you from the bottom of my heart a magical day and refer to the Kommi below me (which you should have read anyway).

I've already done a bit of past history here and so one or the other knows that I came with my family from Poland to Germany at the end of 1989. That was a tough time, even though we didn't have to flee a war zone out of fear for our lives. Still, it meant leaving everything behind, everything you had and everyone you loved. That took a lot out of me.
My parents always worked hard and rebuilt everything from scratch again. I am so grateful to them for everything they did and still do. In the initial months filled with language barriers, financial disasters, hostility, fears, as well as the constant feeling of being completely out of place, my parents tried hard to offer security and support. But they couldn't. How could they? Because they were also uprooted, had no basis and struggled through.
When I then went to school, something like everyday life returned. But I didn't understand a word and had to really fight. And now it comes to the greatest happiness I was allowed to experience during this time:
Mrs. L.
She was my class teacher and an angel. Without a doubt. Without her I would have gone a different way. She welcomed me with open arms. She had the gift to look into your soul. She saw what was wrong with me. She gave me the support I needed. Literally, when I wasn't feeling well, she took me tightly in her arms, hugged me to her chest and gave me comfort. She believed in me, she helped me to learn the foreign language, she helped my parents by giving them furniture, filling out applications, and and and.
I have never experienced so much love, so much devotion, care and kindness from a stranger. That was a long time ago now, but to this day I know what she smelled like. Because she always smelled the same. I loved that scent and literally inhaled it. A scent full of warmth, flowers, love, delicately fruity, soft, very mellow, homey. Everything I was longing for.
Just recently I was talking to my mum about that time and about Mrs L. My parents were and are also grateful to her for everything. I told my mama that when I close my eyes, I can smell her. Still do. I so wish I knew what that perfume was!

And now I'm testing Mitsouko yesterday. Bull's-eye! Mrs.L.
Mari is sitting there teary-eyed but happy, reminiscing.
I will see this fragrance for me as a whole, as my Mrs. L. and not break it down into components. It is for me one of the most beautiful fragrances in this world. Forever.

I called her a few years ago because I wanted to thank her for everything she's done for me. I was nervous because an eternity had passed. Teachers get to know so many kids over the years, you can't remember everyone. Still, I felt the need.
With shaky hands and a pounding heart, I dialed the number. After only a few breaths, someone answered on the other end of the line. I beamed. It was her warm, sweet voice.
I said "Hello, I don't know if you will remember me. I came to her then 3rd grade class in early 1990 and didn't know a word of German. ..."
"Mari?"
I can't tell you how hard I cried. I thanked her for everything and we talked and talked. She told me a lot about herself and that she was a grandma by now. Her every word flowed through me and enveloped me in a warm cloud. And all the while in my nose, unknowingly at the time, the scent of Guerlain's Mitsouko. But for me, the scent of Mrs. L. Forever.
I am the way I am...
Who says I'm old?
Who says I'm outdated?
Who says I am unpopular?

I am a child of the aftermath of WW1, I survived WW2, I witnessed the first moon landing, I witnessed Germany's reunification...

And I'm still alive!

Mitsouko is my name. Yes, Mitsouko, a bit unusual and also vllt difficult to pronounce, I know...
I am Japanese, a mystery, as is the meaning of my name. Beautiful I am; I know that, no one needs to tell me...
You realize I'm confident, very confident; no one needs to fool me. I know what I can do, and what I can't do.

I'm a Guerlain through and through!
If you don't get it, move on!
[...]

I received the Mitsouko EdT as a bottling in a ladies classic package the other day. Up front, I think it's exceptional, and exceptionally beautiful.

Jacques Guerlain had the idea to create a chypre fragrance with a fruity peach note to give this genre a certain "modernity". And mMn this is him brilliantly succeeded.

Typically for a fragrance of this kind, the Mitsouko EdT also opens with a tangy citrus accord, which comes across slightly tart and sour for my nose here. However, this fresh citrusy start is immediately enveloped by clean, pure floral notes that I can make out in the background. As very elegant and fine I feel the opening.

After a while, the peach makes its presence felt. He replaces the initial citrus note and takes over his part, so to speak. But so extremely fruity I feel the fragrance not necessarily, because still flowers are also perceived here, which give him this clean and pure aura.

Towards the base, this slightly fruity nuance leaves the stage and makes way for the first spicy notes, but not as dominant and surrounded by earthy-woody oak moss. I even find the scent a bit sweet-balsamic towards the end, which is otherwise rather unusual for Chypres. Here, the mossy doesn't play too much of a leading role, as I've been used to from other scents of this genre. This minimally touched sweetness I attribute in particular to the amber and also to the cinnamon.
[...]

In my opinion, the fragrance fits very well in the interseasons, that is, in spring and autumn. On the one hand, it is made by the floral notes as for mild and pleasantly warm temperatures, and on the other hand by the slightly balsamic base just as for somewhat cooler days.

The durability I find with about 6h on my skin more than decent (for me personally 5-7h are usually always quite enough anyway). A larger scent cloud he leaves only in the first 1-2h, before he is then still a few more hours skin close to perceive.
Conclusion:
That this fragrance is classified for women, will probably surprise many (vllt. something more practiced) people who will test it for the first time. Because I think you will quickly find that he is totally unisex and just as wearable for men; at least for my opinion.

I thank the Parfuma Alliage for the great package, whereby I got to know, among other things, this noble beautiful and elegant Chypre fragrance.

I like it extremely well, because it is for my nose a not too typical scratchy-brushy Chypre, but mMn a little out of line, if you will. But in a positive sense.

An exceptionally pretty and unpretentious cultivated Chypre.
Thank you for reading!
Mitsouko - an approach
Guerlain and I, it doesn't seem right But there's Mitsouko..............

The scents from more recent times are all much too sweet for me (except Bois D'Armenie) But there is Mitsouko................

Unfortunately, the guerlinade in Shalimar and Samsara makes me nauseous. I console myself:
There is Mitsouko...................

I don't even dare to touch the other classics. It doesn't matter, because:
Mitsouko...............

Mitsouko, Mitsouko, Mitsouko - a magic word

Many fragrance lovers describe the fragrance as "sad". Hmm, there is nothing sad, at least not in the eau de toilette. A sparkling, citrusy opening. The opening is not sharp or tart, but sparkling, almost like a glass of champagne. Creamy peach and the lilac alternate with the flowers, the peach shines through again and again and combines with cinnamon and other spices.
The chypre base is balsamic softened, so that the otherwise often strict character of the oak moss does not dominate everything. Vetiver gives a little kick
The most beautiful thing about Mitsouko is its transparency. It is not a cloudy fragrance that suffocates me, it is clear, pure and flowing. Nevertheless, it remains mysterious and difficult to see through with its delicacy. And Mitsouko is already a little bitchy.......

And yes, there's a Japanese flavor to it. The gentle flow of the blossoms and the peach, the harmony of the defused oakmoss make me think of a silk kimono, peach-coloured of course.

Guerlain and I, it'll be difficult. But Mitsouko was and remains my support, forever and ever!
Ohayou gozaimasu Cho-Cho-San
I can well imagine this perfume on the beautiful Madame Butterfly, as well as on Dame Toda Buntaro Mariko, whose embodiment by Yoko Shimada was a wonderful portrayal and whom I therefore photographed with great pleasure in order to establish a connection to this unusual perfume, which has enjoyed permanent popularity for over a hundred years and is one of the most sought-after classics.

The scent that develops on my skin is as unknown to me as the Asian continent; no charming sweetness surrounds me as a welcome, instead a tart scent of mosses and spices immediately determines the direction and is only gently guided by rose, jasmine and a little bergamot. The drama of the composition (not only in opera!) is underlined by the ever-breaking flair of lilac and peach, which soon disappears into nowhere, only to reappear again with constant regularity afterwards.

A confusing and yet very clear perfume.
Confusing on the one hand, because the scent direction is absolutely foreign to my nose and leaves me alone and a little perplexed like an ignorant filling. Clear on the other hand, because the fragrance does not allow any excuses, twists or compromises; it determines the way, the journey, the event. And it is made for all individualists who know very well that they will never confuse quality with quantity; let alone bow their heads before quantity. Here the bearers are calm and reliable diplomats made of steel!
Mitsouko - golden October
At home there was still a 4.2 ml miniature bottle lying around, which had to be tried out. After the application on the wrist a balsamic-spicy scent rose towards me. After the first few minutes, the fragrance changes into woody, delicate, delicate and aromatic, like freshly sawn wood. Citrus and floral notes are soft in the background and smile sweet. I find this scent solemn and it fits perfectly to the song I am listening to right now: "Laponie" by the French singer Zaz. "Le soleil dans mon coeur rechauffé." When the song's over, I press replay. "Je me rencontres de l'émotionalité de la vie." . A soft melodic speech song, accompanied by a delicate piano arrangement with gentle strings in the background, of course in French. Je suis enchantée! Lovely. This fragrance is too strong for my mother, but I find it very beautiful, wearable for a radiant and luxuriant lady who is elegant but does not hide her charms. It has a delicate ivory and beige colour. Golden light falls on her, behind her stands an orange tree. The oranges are slightly candied, the tree is sawn and exudes the scent of its wood, in addition a delicate bouquet of rose, jasmine, and ylang ylang, artfully bound, and light spices. This fragrance fits into the golden October, when the sun shimmers through the colorful foliage. Also the song "Suffering" by Lars Danielsson fits perfectly to this fragrance, a delicate jazz number with plucked cello and soft strings in the background. Very nice! Like this interplay of sounds, the scents of Mitsouko also play together, nothing dominates or stands out. The result is a very round, soft and warm fragrance. I'm glad I have him!
Happy 100th.
Why shouldn't I dedicate my 50th comment to a fragrance that celebrates its 100th anniversary this year in our beloved fragrance world?
1919, a year full of history.
The troubled period after the First World War, Paris Peace Conference, the proclamation of the Weimar Republic, which was to stand on very shaky ground, the assassination of Rosa Luxemburg and Karl Liebknecht, foundation of the Arbeiterwohlfahrt, Marie Juchacz was the first woman to give a speech in a German parliament, foundation of the world's first scheduled airline, Gropius' Bauhaus was founded, foundation of Bavaria Film, just to mention a few points.

And in the midst of all this confusion and confusion, Jacques Guerlain created Mitsouko, after a Japanese women's name "Mitsouko", which translates as mystery. A more fitting name could not have been more appropriate. The interest in the Far East had awakened and Monsieur Guerlain wanted to pay homage with this fragrance to the heroine from the then bestseller "La Bataille" by Claude Farrère, a beautiful and married woman who secretly loved a British officer.

This unique fragrance is also said to have been the favourite scent of Charlie Chaplin, Ingrid Bergman and Jean Harlow (one of my favourite actresses).
And as different as the people who appreciated the fragrance were, as diverse and mysterious the fragrance itself seems to me.
I really had to work on Mitsouko, because at the very first meeting I did not like the scent at all.

The fragrance is described as classic chypre with fruity notes. And yes, a peach can be easily recognized. But this peach is anything but sweet and sweet Already the prelude is harsh, rough and brittle. The citrus fruits, which are actually bright and sunny, and the flowers, which are usually friendly and cheerful, are really barking at me, they are moody and stern I flinch back, quite intimidated by the bitchiness of the scent. And bitchy it goes on, because when the peach makes its presence felt, the spices snap at once and take every sweetness from the peach (which is surely already a bit dry). Cinnamon is there, vetiver is also edgy and hot, oakmoss anyway, dust-dry and pinched. The appearance of individual flower chords, however, also mitigates this, even if only a little.

That did not reach me at all when I first met him. I didn't want to have such a scratchy beast as a fragrance But wait, I know it's a Guerlain. You have to be patient. Many of the classic Guerlains have to be worked on bit by bit and you have to pay a lot of attention to them. Then they open up little by little and show you how beautiful they are at heart.

It was the same here. Some years passed and the scratch brush Mitsouko fell into my hands as an eau de toilette and that at a price I just couldn't say no to.
And so we met again and immediately the contact was more friendly. The brittle stubbornness is still there, but it has been tamed and softened a bit. The scent is no longer as biting as I remembered it.
Yet Mitsouko continues to puzzle me. Originally designed as a women's fragrance (but I don't care anyway), one minute I find it to be classically feminine, the next minute I'm thinking "No, that's a men's fragrance". And then again not.
A Janus-faced scent then. And the brusqueness of its essence. On the one hand, the fragrance pretends to be a cantankerous and bearish old bag, only to appear as the cultivated and well-behaved gentleman again the next moment. Only to then show a different face again and so on and so forth.

But in the meantime I like to get involved in this interplay. Our kind is not in the same mood every day Now the dear 0815abc Mitsouko in the "Parfum de Toilette" version has given me the chance to get to know it for a while and I could compare a little bit. For this I say thank you very much!
This version is much harsher and drier than the EdT, the oak moss is flying around my ears, it is almost dusty. Flowery notes are present but more dimmed than in the EdT and the spices are more strongly dosed and it seems a bit smoky to me.
The durability is already very good for an eau de toilette with approx. 8 hours, but the Parfum de Toilette lasts easily for 12 hours with initially very strong projection.
I certainly don't have to say anything about the flacons, timeless beauties in Asian style. As simple as they are ingenious.

Conclusion:

Mitsouko is a fragrance that you should definitely get to know, even if it does not become a friendship.
A great classic, which has been available for 100 years and has been able to compete with many others on the market.
And I've grown very fond of the quirky bear-biting old hag, who at the bottom of her heart is friendly after all.
I congratulate you with all my heart, you sprightly, mysterious, scratchy and oh so wonderful Mitsouko! To the next hundred!
16paws
Not en vogue, but never unfashionable
I'm just beginning to discover the Guerlains for myself and you can't get past the classics like Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue, Jicky and Shalimar. Whether you like these fragrances or not, you should definitely have had them under your nose.

Mitsouko has been around for almost 100 years - a damn long time. The fragrance came onto the market in 1919, shortly after the end of the First World War, and heralded the "Roaring Twenties" or the "Golden Twenties". An age we associate with Charleston, Flapper Girls, Josephine Baker, F. Scott Fitzgerald and his wife Zelda Sayre, silent movie stars like Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Rudolph Valentino, Asta Nielsen, Mary Pickford, Gloria Swanson etc..

Mitsouko starts with citric notes, followed by earthy-moosy nuances and then I perceive cinnamon, closely followed by a spicy aroma. I can smell cloves, later a hint of nutmeg and this confuses me honestly, because these components should appear only in the base. I don't recognize flowers at all, at least not at the beginning.

After the citrus has vanished and the spices have settled, it becomes more flowery, underlaid with green. However, I don't smell single flowers and the smell doesn't steer, at least for me, in a cheerful direction. Seriously, adult, noble, absolutely timeless and elegant I would describe him.

The course is a little strange for me, because Mitsouko jumps again and again from flowery to spicy and then too earthy to mossy. An interplay - because sometimes the flowers are clearly in the foreground and immediately afterwards a change takes place and the spices occupy the room. After that the moss gets the main role and then the flowers are asked again and it starts all over again - quasi an endless loop. Such a fragrance, with such a development I never had under my nose before.

Mitsouko came to me as a bottling and it was not a spontaneous love. We had to find each other very slowly, little by little. But now I know that this work of art by Jacques Guerlain must become part of my collection. Not for every day, certainly not, but for special days when simply nothing else fits. In any case, I will also test the Mitsouko EdP and then decide which one to move in with me.

Mitsouko remains with me for about 12 hours, body close, actually from the beginning, but perceptible for me until the end. In my case the flowers form the conclusion, although they are almost imperceptible to me at the beginning, they can assert themselves against the spices and the moss in the end
1.5

Grandfather??
IT is the third time I wear mitsouko, and now I am rather sure it is nothing for me, the first two times, I had the impression it reminded me of something, something I didn't like but I wanted to give it a chance, a very distant memory of a smell, and today it hit me....it reminds me of my grandfather, he smelled like this. And as much as I loved my grandfather I really loved him so much, I did not like his "aftershave" that's what he named it. Well that's the smell I get from mitsouko, and the one I have is a vintage, I will keep it in my collection, the bottle is nice. But I won't wear it anymore, for me it is to masculin and I guess I am a to feminine person in smells....I am gonna scrub it off, really don't like it.

Queen of Chypres
There isn't much more to add to what has been said. We know it's significance. It has it's place in history of perfume, it's been called the best of all time etc.

It's oakmoss and peach and rose and many other things, it's like a secluded garden in a forest full of flowers, with the smell of rain still in the air. Jacques Guerlain wanted to evoke with this "the smell of a womans skin". I understand what he was trying to do.

I also don't see how anyone would not like this. It's floral, fruity, but so deep and earthly and rich and very hard to describe. I find it very unique. A wonderful mossy, beautiful fragrance, and a wonderful experience to smell. I really think everyone should try this. I don't think "old lady" or other labels. It really doesn't smell like much else and it was the inspiration (like Jicky and Shalimar), for not just many other classics, but also much of what we have today in the world of perfume.

I think this should be preserved forever as something really special. It has no gender, time or place. It should stand as something for all and everyone, and for all time. Real art in a bottle. Wonderful stuff!

BertolucciKBertolucciK 15 days ago
Beautiful chypre, smooth, elegant. Typical J Guerlain opening with bergamot, jasmine, rose. Then a perfect blend o peach, oakmoss and spices
TruckladyTrucklady 2 years ago
Now and then, an EDT gets to the heart of the matter, whereas the parfum takes a winding uphill journey. Mitsi edt is it and more.

Discussions about Mitsouko (Eau de Toilette)

ChapeauClack in Perfumes & Brands

by FrauMö
by FrauMö
by Coriolon
by Coriolon
Es ist die Dame Toda Buntaro Mariko, die hier sanft im Hintergrund lächelt!
by 2020Antiope
Zitrisch, würzig, feminin und elegant! Mitsouko, ein wundervoller Klassiker!
by Olentia
by Merlina
by Merlina
by pudelbonzo
by pudelbonzo
by Isolani
und so geht es immer weiter

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain Derby (1985) (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain