Mitsouko (1919) Extrait

Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain
Bottle Design: Baccarat

Mitsouko (Extrait) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 1919. The scent is spicy-chypre. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Submitted by Nibelung, last update on 15.10.2019

"Mitsouko" is translated as "mystery" by Guerlain and appears to be their transliteration of the japanese name "Mitsuko" which actually means "Child of Light". It is supposed to be inspired by the 1909 novel "La Bataille" by Claude Farrère in in which a Japanese woman falls in love with a British officer in the early 20th century. Mitsouko is a chypre, in which the scent molecule aldehyde C-14 (Persicol, 1,4-Undecanolid - chemically a lactone and not, as one might suspect by the name, an aldehyde) was used the first time. 1,4-Undecanolid is responsible for natural peach flavour and was synthetically produced for the use in Mitsouko. Thus, Mitsouko was a milestone in modern perfumery. Charlie Chaplin is supposed to have been a prominent user of Mitsouko. It is said it was his signature fragrance of which he kept several bottles in stock at home and in the studio. The fragrance was reformulated by Edouard Fléchier.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

Mitsouko (Extrait)

This is a variant of the perfume Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain, which differs in concentration.

10.0 6.0 9.0 9.5/10

Olde 1941 «War Time» Extrait: A butterfly over my inner oceans
Japan is in this fragrance. That is, ancient Japan. When Japan was Japan and not the social experiment it has become today. The first Mitsy is all about purity and balance, a seagulls stampede, like a hinted kiss; but the oldest formulation that most people have worn is 60s and, in some rare cases, 50s (when the first tweak happened). This review is for the first formulation of Mitsouko, since the iconic «Flacon de Guerre» was only made during the WWII. Mitsouko. My most beloved Guerlain. Chypre of Chypres. A woman dressing her husband before the war in Kanazawa. And all the silence. And the fears... And the emotions that will not be expressed... Mitsouko is the smell of the samurai kimono under the armor, the wet wind, the tea not tasted, euphoria and resignation one in front of the other in a silent and closed room. Yes, that is this blend in words for me. The work is so delicate, so... frail and calibrated. If you seek for grand emotions, wear olde Shalimar; if you just want to dream, then let this lady lead you.
10.0 8.0 9.0 10.0/10

Santalwalti
Just never wake up again!
Actually, I can't afford the ticket at all. But I heard her playing the radio, immediately bought all her CDs. Your game hasn't let me go. So of course I had to go where I could see them live.

Now we are all sitting there, alien and yet united by tense expectation. Some rustle with their programs, others chat in a restrained manner. Here and there you can hear a gentle laugh or timid coughing. I hardly notice it, fascinated I look at the stage

My thoughts wander to Mitsouko, whom I see in my mind. What dress will she be wearing tonight? I read in a press review that it very rarely appears in its traditional guise during appearances in Europe. A kimono made of finest silk, which envelops her body, caftan-like and floor-length.

Suddenly, as if at an agreed sign, there is complete silence in the room. There... there she steps out of a side door, greeted by thunderous applause: dainty, elegant, beautiful...black, long hair frames her pale complexion and she wears a green silk kimono held by a belt. A wide sash in salmon gold tones is tied in its back to the bow. Noble, apart, graceful is her appearance, calmly she takes a seat on the stool. She concentrates briefly, wipes her hands with a cloth, which she raises like in slow motion. It seems distant and completely isolated and so begins to play.

My expectations are high and I close my eyes. Only in this way can I follow her, her fingers, which now float over the keys, ....glide over them, dance, hip, beat, run and rest for a moment to immediately start something new

Mitsouko spreads an aura that I didn't expect, didn't suspect. Great!

She takes me away from the concert hall, lets me float as her hands do. It leads me to a citrus grove shining in the evening sun. Refreshing chords of bergamot surround me. A little wood begins further back - mysterious, dark and yet inviting. Deeper, deeper and deeper she leads me into her world of tones and notes and chords.

Her sonorous, breathtaking play exudes the scent of velvety roses. The calyxes are silky-cool and salmon-coloured and full of elegance. As soon as we leave the roses behind, she leads me to beguiling jasmine. The dark green leaves of the bushes sway in the wind that surrounds and lifts me with its bitter spice. On the flexible branches white jasmine blossoms shine in the twilight, seduce and bewitch me.

Mitsouko's playing gradually becomes more powerful, more energetic ....it seems as if she has to fight with the keys. I follow her willlessly and think: Only never wake up again!

Then finally, the fiery chords come to rest. A mystical silence fills the room, making room for a delicate purple lilac. Its scent draws me into its spell in its sweetness that makes my breath falter. The fluffy, quiet tones resemble little clouds moving over me. They open and sweet-sour scents of peach and apricot drip down. They wet my face and run down my cheeks. Am I crying?
The lilac moves on, still egriffen looking after him until he has disappeared.

The music is still quieter, pauses, stands still. I just want to dream ...dream music, drink scents, lay down in the moss and absorb the wonderful smell of damp earth.

I lost all sense of time.
I surrender to the spices of heaven and earth.
How I like to be captured by Mitsouko.
And again I think: Just never wake up again!

I sincerely thank you, dear Blue Mouse, for this precious rehearsal, which has given me a wonderful concert of notes and chords.

Trucklady 139 days ago
Sublime peachy chypre, but too aloof for me to spray and announce my arrival. Best appreciated by those who dare to hug me. Lucky folk.+1
10.0
5.0
9.0

.... Kind des Lichts .....
by IrisNobile
by EauMySoul
Für Fresh ~Vintage~  Nur die Fliege ist noch sehr jung ;-)
by Kylesa
by LadyViolet
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Jicky (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain