Mon Guerlain (2017) Eau de Parfum

Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain
Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) (Guerlain)

Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) is a new perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 2017. The scent is sweet-floral. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Thierry Wasser

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Provençal lavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesParadisone®, Jasmine sambac, Coumarin
Base Notes Base NotesIris, Tahitian vanilla, White sandalwood

Submitted by Michael, last update on 23.10.2018

The face of the advertising campaign is actress Angelina Jolie.

Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 9.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 9.5/10
NOCH a comment on Mon Guerlain...
Okay, I think it's time, I have to add my mustard. Mon Guerlain is a fragrance that has occupied me for several months and the more comments I read about this fragrance, the more I feel the need to describe my experiences I love the Guerlain classics and, before I knew Parfumo, I came through my (fragrance) life wonderfully alone with them. That's why I was very interested in this new release and went to a perfumery for a test spraying session. My first impression: sweet sweet sweet, just creepy qietschsüß. The second impression: a slightly artificial note with strong jasmine, still sweet, slowly fading over hours. Nix bergamot, nix lavender, I only discovered it in the fragrance pyramid. So far so bad, Mon Guerlain I had ticked off first.
Still, I caught myself sniffing around for hours. That combined with the fact that it is a guerlain (yes, I admit it...) led to the fact that the scent somehow did not go out of my mind. What does a freshly baked Parfuma do in such a dilemma - of course, fast times ´ne bottling ordered. Said - done, sniffed again. The smell impression the same - simply unwearably sweet! In between also tried the floral, but there the Jasmine kills me.
But at the same time I noticed with MG that the scent triggers something in me that I can't get enough of, something totally homey, secure, comforting - simply wonderful. Since then Mon Guerlain has had addictive character for me and the 100ml bottle moved in!
Meanwhile I could also identify bergamot and lavender and I find the fragrance simply ingenious. But in a completely different way than the classic Guerlains or the newer ones like Insolence or L´Instant de Guerlain. All these are much more individual and unique and more surprising in their fragrance. With Mitsouko, for example, one does not suspect at the beginning with the best will in the world what comes out in the end. MG is clearly more unspectacular: as soon as bergamot and lavender have vanished, a gentle transition to the heart note takes place, which lasts for hours to finally fade away just as gently in the vanilla base note. The war´s No big surprises. Also the fragrance pyramid does not promise anything earth-shattering. Nevertheless, the fragrance is ingenious because it implements both the simple structure and the gourmand trend perfectly and stylishly. That's exactly why he's a real guerrilla to me. Yes, new and fashionable or both at the same time, but in its implementation simply Guerlain.
I have also tested some other gourmands so far and found them all disgustingly sticky, sweet, artificial, too much of this, too much of that, somehow always horrible! The only one of this direction (which I have tested) that can beat MG is Mon Exclusif, as it smells even more natural. Well, Guerlain too, what should I do...
To be fair, however, for all MG critics my husband should be quoted again after this praise, who commented MG as follows: "How nice it was when you were still wearing Guerlain..."
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 6.0/10 Scent 5.0/10
Never ever!
Last Saturday I was in autumn cold weather in the city on the way. At the end a small excursion into the perfumery on the way to the multi-storey car park. I just wanted to test Mon Guerlain again. The scent, which gets away super here but failed mercilessly last winter. First of all: Also on Saturday he couldn't win a flowerpot with me.

I know there's a lot of gourmand going on out there with the general public. Here you will also find many fans of the fragrance. What surprises me is that many gourmands are described as interchangeable, boring, already 1000 times smelled etc., but Mon Guerlain generally gets off very well. Or a much higher rating than the text would allow. Maybe the name Guerlain is not so innocent of it? ;) Anyway, I don't think La Vie est Belle is any worse than Mon Guerlain....

I had sworn to myself to test Mon Guerlain only in the fresh air or at least far away from my holy home halls. The last time I had to do this, I had to blow a lot of air and it was cold outside. Very cold... And also on Saturday I was glad to have remembered it. Right at the beginning this sour-sweet note rises again into my nose, which hangs so heavily in the room. Also the lavender I searched again in vain, somehow one forgets this calculated always in the bottle, which I test. ;) Over time, this sour note fades and the fragrance changes from sour-sweet to sweet-sweet. And there's not really much more going on now. I think there are scents with a more beautiful, more interesting development. I'm also disappointed in vanilla. I love that typical guerilla vanilla, there's no better one. Here it was unfortunately exchanged for an artificially sweet 0815 vanilla, at least for my nose. Maybe it will be saved for the classics, because the normal customer smells no difference anyway and knows only this vanilla variety? Dear House Guerlain, this is a fallacy and for me absolutely disappointing and incomprehensible.

But there is one thing I must add to the scent: Intensity and durability are exceptionally good. I myself prefer it more discreet and a fragrance does not need to hold like Pattex. But for many this is important.

For the house of Guerlain, the bill has probably worked out and I understand that such bestsellers are important in order to survive in the market. And I don't want to make anyone unhappy about the scent either. Tastes are different, as you know, and Guerlain doesn't meet my tastes.
Bottle 9.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
My hug me
In Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Harry's fired classmate Neville Longbottom one day receives a memento (called Remembrall in its original version), a magical warning for the forgetful. The memory me looks like a big marble containing white mist. If you forget something, it turns glowing red. The pink Mon Guerlain is - in my opinion - a hug, a magic invitation to be hugged by people you love.

This hug mech is the latest eagerly awaited women's fragrance from Guerlain (published in 2017). Unavoidably advertised with Angelina Jolie, this Mon Guerlain called effective in advertising as "My invisible tattoo" (well...).

What makes Mon Guerlain a hug? Well, the prelude is determined by tender, powdery lavender, which is slightly accompanied by citrus notes. Soft, flattering gourmand notes that remotely remind me of marzipan emerge in the heart note. Officially listed are Jasmin-Sambac, Paradisone and Cumarin. The often onomatopoeic jasmine was used here reservedly and since I have no olfactory idea of Paradisone, I assume that this, paired with coumarin (which can also be obtained from tonka bean) determines the inviting, powdery-sensual fragrance character. In general, I notice vanilla in almost the entire fragrance, even if it is only listed in the base. The heart note of Mon Guerlain reminds me of the wonderful Macarons, which my son nibbled with great enthusiasm in the exclusive London Caffe Concerto the other day.

It is vanilla that carries the scent in the base paired with iris and sandalwood. Mon Guerlain is clearly on the currently very hip wave of gourmand fragrances, but I classify him as an adult gourmet fragrance that doesn't lack elegance for more official appearances. At this point I wave mischievously into the ivory tower once mentioned by Turandot here to the niche scent fans, nothing for bad people, but there are in both segments light and shadow.

Mon Guerlain may not be the reinvention of the wheel, but it is a high-quality good, beautiful and long-lasting fragrance (I notice it clearly for 6 hours) and I am happy that the Easter bunny put it in my nest in 2018. My favourite Shalimar Parfum Initial, which unfortunately isn't produced any more, he won't push me off my pedestal, but he will surely bring me many hugs from my family and friends.

The Mon Guerlain bottle reflects the timeless elegance of the emblematic Quadrilobé bottle designed by Gabriel Guerlain in 1908. It owes its name to the solidly worked closure, whose "four-leaf" form represents four cloverleaf sheets.

Mon Guerlain is a beautiful child of his time, whether my joy in this fragrance will continue to show in the future.
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 6.0/10 Scent 7.5/10
A little trip to Provence
The moment I sprayed this perfume, I imagined immediately a lavender field in Provence in springtime: the lavender opening note isn't too vibrant but well balanced and made smoother and more feminin by the flowery acchord and mainly by the vanilla base, a light and not too sugary or medicinal vanilla, very pleasant. The result is a very feminin fragrance to wear as a second skin mainly in the warm season. Unfortunately, the sillage isn't so strong. I was expecting a better longevity from a Guerlain's creation, anyway I like this scent, for its bottle too: very elegant, simple but refined at the same time. So, this one is a little trip to Provence. Ready to leave?
Bottle 9.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Nice fragrance, but lavender is not my thing
Two years ago I received a complimentary sample of Mon Exclusif together with a very successful overseas swap. The fragrance was really intriguing: subtle, yet very present; watery and somehow salty. The most prominent note was the salted caramel, but I could only perceive it after having faced the not-so-interesting lavender in the heart. I did some research after placing Mon Exclusif on my watchlist but soon decided I should let it go without ever owning it, the main reasons being its price and the difficulty to get it in the country where I live. A little after making acquaintance with Mon Exclusif I found out it was discontinued, with Mon Guerlain advertised unofficially as its substitute. So off to Mon Guerlain I went and probably due to Guerlain's worldwide campaign, Mon Guerlain landed pretty fast in stores near me. My expectations were not sky-high but I still got frustrated after testing it. While Mon Exclusif was a lovely composition, with delicate - yet noticeable - notes floating around me, Mon Guerlain was lavender. From top to bottom, all I get was lavender. There's a tiny touch of caramel, but it is far from the salty note that smelled so lovely on Mon Exclusif. I must say that my frustration was probably unconsciously driven by my admiration for Thierry Wasser. I simply adore many of his creations - Dior Addict 2002 being my all time favorite -, so probably I was expecting something more elaborated than what I got. I truly understand that Guerlain is a business company that, like all other companies, is based on profit. And I also understand that Mon Guerlain was made to be a crowd-pleaser that could drive more costumers to Gerlain's counters all over the world. And can you think of something more crowd-pleaser than lavender? Well, the good thing about still owning a bottle (a 50ml only, thank God!) of Mon Guerlain is that everytime I wear it, for the sake of being a Wasser’s Guerlain, I get reminded of the fact that lavender in not my thing. Sadly.
Candy Guerlain...
What I get from Mon Guerlain is a sweet vibe. One which reminds me of a gourmand. In fact I consider this a gourmand in the same way that La Petite Robe Noire is.

I get the vanilla, lavender and tonka, but there seems to be an undertone of a caramel-like vibe... along with powdery iris etc. I find it very wearable (even on a man's skin), much in the same way that La Petite Robe Noire was. In fact, if that fragrance was for night time, then this is for the day. I also find it much more versatile than La Petite Robe Noire, though not as original.

I have read that Jicky was the inspiration (and starting point) for this fragrance. It's probably correct to say that this is a gourmand version of Jicky. I find it probably sits in between all the other sweet, female marketed fragrances today. I now understand why Guerlain need to release this in order to compete on the market, although the quality of ingredients here is quite high. It's well made for what it is.

Overall, this would be something to recommend. I can't see this being worn on an older person, but for a younger woman under the age of 40 I think this could work really well. I also think that this would be great on a young man's skin, but it would take a man who is comfortable with smelling sweet, it's a daring move in that respect. Only time will tell whether this becomes a classic. I am on the fence with it really.
jtd
ce n'est pas mon guerlain
So, what is the recipe for a big-budget, got-to-be-successful, no-room-for-error, if-you-build-it-they-will-come perfume? To judge by Guerlain’s approach: Mix equal parts imitation, predictability and risk aversion in a large bowl. Bake in a lukewarm focus-group until stale. Sprinkle with olfactory least common denominators. Serve in a bottle replete with historical Awethenticity™. Buon appetito.

Am I cynical? Clearly, but I can’t hold a candle to Guerlain.

With Mon Guerlain Thierry Wasser proves he isn’t so much the successor to Jean-Paul Guerlain as he is the heir to Jacques Guerlain. Jacques was known for nicking someone else’s ideas (namely, François Coty’s) and making them better. Wasser attempts a Jacques Guerlain with two perfumes: Lancome’s end-of -the-world-as-we-know-it lollipop, La Vie Est Belle, and Mugler’s iconic poison-apple, Angel. The drag is that Mon Guerlain drowns in the syrup of the former but forgets the atonal war-cry of the latter. Angling between these two perfumes Guerlain casts its net as wide as possible, hoping for a hit that would break all box-office records.

The complication is that Guerlain looks to two perfumes that, though they both got a whole lotta ethylmaltol going on, are diametrically opposed. Angel might have launched two decades of straight-faced gourmand perfumes but it did so inadvertently. It was anything but straight. Angel’s cotton-candy is counterbalanced by an enormous inedible chemo-floral note and an earthy patchouli. It smells sweet, but it’s pure venom. La Vie Est Belle has no nuance, no subtext. It’s pure candy. Wasser’s Mon Guerlain looks for an easy reconciliation of the two perfumes because they are both overdosed with ethylmaltol. He misses the point that Angel, twenty five years later, is still a motherfucking monster. La Vie Est Belle on the other hand is the most vanillla of Disney fairy princesses.

Wasser uses lavender to twist Mon Guerlain into a taffy fougère. Pouring it into a version of the brand’s historical quadrilobe bottle is an attempt to draw a connection to Guerlain’s classic, sweet fougère Jicky, but don’t believe the hype. Despite the deception a list of notes provides, Mon Guerlain has no relationship to Jicky.

from scenthurdle.com

Sillage 6.0
Longevity 7.0
Scent 2.5
ScentedSalon 21 months ago
Supremely similar to Mon Excusif but stronger on the lavender. It is less tenacious than ME and has an airy-er feel. Great bottle and price.+6
Bottle 10.0

• by BlueValkyrie by BlueValkyrie
  • Die drei französischen Schachteln ;-) by TomLavender
  • Sépia Mon rêve by TomLavender
  • by Pralinchen by Pralinchen
  • by pudelbonzo by pudelbonzo
  • Guerlain Counter, Bijenkorf Amsterdam by Sonjoschka
  • by Nayeli by Nayeli
  • by IrinaBerlin by IrinaBerlin
  • by IrinaBerlin by IrinaBerlin

Popular Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Jicky (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain