My Insolence (2007)

My Insolence by Guerlain
Bottle Design Serge Mansau

My Insolence is a perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 2007. The scent is floral-sweet. It was last marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesRaspberry
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Almond blossom
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Tonka bean, Patchouli

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 16.05.2020.

insolence, the sequel
Do you remember how much people kvetched about Insolence when it was released? It was The Death of Guerlain. There had been similar raining-cats-and-dogs wailing about a few other post-LVMH Guerlains: Champs Elysées, l’Instant, the entire Aqua Allegoria line. (Guerlain has in fact survived long enough to hear similar complaints about Idylle, Shalimar Parfum Initial and La Petite Robe Noire.) Guerlain responded by creating two flankers to serve as concession speeches to the Insolence campaign. The two took completely different tacks.

My Insolence came first. It acquiesced. It apologized for Insolence’s garishness. It tacitly confessed and asked forgiveness. Edges were smoothed. The fruit got sweeter. The nail polish note was restrained. The tonka/vanillic base was warmer and more comfortable.

Insolence Eau de Parfum was the defiant, ‘you haven’t seen the last of me!’ version. It kept the hairspray, exaggerated the candied violet, grew monstrously large. It called the critics out for being dainty.

My heart is with Insolence Eau de Parfum for its fuck-you tone, but My Insolence isn’t bad. It might have been built for the buyer who thought Insolence required too much effort, but it was also an alternative for the Britney Spears Fantasy wearer who was looking to get classy with some brand affiliation.

Guerlain aimed for greater accessibility. My Insolence is less sharp than the original. There’s less hairspray, less violet, more berry. It’s fluffier, lighter in every sense. A sweet gourmand lemon note levels out the pitchiness of the original. Think lemon mousse or limoncello instead of Aquanet and you’ll catch the difference between the topnotes of Insolence and My Insolence.

Insolence was intended to be a big seller as the Calvin Klein style name indicates. My Insolence pursued the same goal, in this case by aiming to be more of a crowd pleaser. Just as my expectations of a wide-release action movie are different than what I hope for in a ‘serious’ documentary, my expectation for My Insolence isn’t stratospheric. The fruity-floral is the perfume equivalent of the romantic comedy and My Insolence is a solid if programatic offering within a compromised genre.

Jbells
Raspberry with vanilla and nuts
My Insolence starts off with a massive whirl of raspberry, flowers, and nuts, presumably from the almond blossoms. Quite yummy, I must say.

In just a short time, tonka bean and jasmine take over. Oh wow, so much tonka bean. A powdery (but sweet) vanilla arrives to round things up. This is where the raspberry and tonka bean start alternating in dominance. There's also a little synthetic smell to it, but nothing too obvious or unpleasant.

Patchouli peeks through as it wears on, but surprisingly, it isn't as strong as I thought patchouli would normally be, keeping this light and gentle. It seems to amp up the vanilla a little more so that it's now a mildly sweet raspberry sitting in a lot of vanilla with some nuts, on a background of patchouli.

My Insolence was something I looked forward very much to, but perhaps I expected too much. Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely, lovely scent, and it makes me happy when I wear it, but it leaves me wanting more.

Having said that, I thoroughly enjoy wearing this. My Insolence is just one of those that starts off meh and then grows on you as it wears on. It's girly, but also grown-up, very light (not muted!) and easy to wear. This is a slightly sweet gourmand that is inoffensive and not too sweet, and could even pass for a floral at the beginning with a very vanilla-cake ending.

Projection on me wasn't a beast, but it was fine. It lasted around 3 hours before transforming into a soft vanilla which was really more of a skin scent.

Walgreens Smell
If you close your eyes and inhale, it smells as if you're walking the aisles of CVS or Wallgreens. A generic type of sweet powder that reminds you of polyester stuffed bears and half-off Valentines beside Johnson's "No More Tears" Shampoo.

Warm, Powdery Vanilla with Berries in Syrup on Top
Although I like, really really like, Insolence EDP, it's not something I would wear in public. To me, it's got a metallic sheen akin to Gucci Rush or Rochas Tocade. Those fragrances really are pseudo acid trips, more than anything else - 2 parts experience and 1 part fragrance.

Yet, I still wanted something like Insolence EDP. The EDT? Well, no. Insolence EDT is too trashy, wanna be flashy. Too thin and too sweet for an adult. Along comes My Insolence to the rescue. No, it's not like her big, bada$$ sister in EDP, but the structure of the fragrance is similar and there are a few shared notes. So in a sense, I do have my Insolence.

However, if truth be told, My Insolence is more like 2 other Guerlains than its namesake. My Insolence sits somewhere between Guerlain L'Instant and La Petite Robe Noire 2012. If you like one or the other of these, I imagine that you would like My Insolence as well.

My Insolence dries down to a warm, powdery vanilla. In addition to the listed notes, I get some benzoin resin and a green balsam at dry down, or perhaps that's the tonka bean and a green patchouli. In any regard, this is not like most vanillas, because My Insolence remains light and bright enough to be worn almost any season, day or night. Yes it's complex enough to please the perfume hobbyist.

If you're into warm, powdery vanillas and don't mind some berries in syrup on top, I'd suggest putting My Insolence on your test list. I'm glad it made it to mine. While you're at it, try the namesake Insolence edt and Insolence edp.

Between Charybdis and Scylla
Tone down the cloying cough syrup raspberry and remove the iris from INSOLENCE, then replace the plastic violets with plastic patchouli, and you'll have...drum roll...

Guerlain MY INSOLENCE opens in a not uninviting way, but ultimately fails to impress, primarily because the patchouli note seems forced, as though this composition were just another ill-conceived effort to ride out the twenty-first-century patchouli craze mass-market fragrance wave.

To my nose, the patchouli of MY INSOLENCE does not blend harmoniously with the other notes of the composition, especially the raspberry. To make matters worse, it also reminds me of the plastic-like patchouli note of Chanel CHANCE. There are apparently many renditions of patchouli, and this is definitely not my favorite...

I had every reason in the world to find a way to like this flanker's namesake, INSOLENCE, at the top of the list of which was my 100ml bottle still 98% full. But every time I removed the cap, I was instantly reminded why I had no desire to wear it again. Eventually, I swapped it away, despite my fondness for the bottle.

So which do I prefer? Let's just say that if ever I were to find myself on a desert island with INSOLENCE and MY INSOLENCE as my sole perfume choices, I'd gladly take the latter, which is wearable, over the former, which is not. Happily, I don't expect that I'll ever find myself confronted with such a Charybdis and Scylla scenario. Not in this lifetime, at any rate...

If others can enjoy these fragrances, that's fine with me. I must be content and console myself with the beauty of the bottles in which these liquids are contained.

Off topic linguistic query: Isn't "My Insolence" redundant? I mean, isn't insolence an intrinsically first-person predicate? Could I really wear a perfume that referred to "your" or "his" insolence? Well, in any case, the name strikes me as yet more evidence that this is marketing hype pure and simple: try to wheel in the monolingual Anglophones who might be alienated by the sight of (gasp!) the French: "Mon Insolence"... Or perhaps French speakers would have noticed the redundancy? On ne sait jamais...

Raspberry
My Insolence brought me on a compelling but not enjoyable journey of Raspberry.

The opening reminds me of Kenzo Flower with a little cough syrup thrown in. It begins to smell of SweetTarts and becomes increasingly powdery. My boyfriend likens it to grape flavored Laffy Taffy or like a powdery grape soda.
Chemical and synthetic.

This lasts a good +12 hr on me even after washing.

LauraBellaLauraBella 3 years ago
My holy grail, guaranteed-compliments fragrance! Miss it so much!

by Sweetsmell75
by Serenity
by Echtdufte
by Echtdufte

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain