Nahema (1979)Parfum

Nahema (Parfum) by Guerlain

Nahema (Parfum) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 1979. The scent is floral-oriental. The longevity is above-average. It was last marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Green notes, Peach, Rose
Heart Notes Heart NotesBulgarian rose, Lilac, Hyacinth, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesPassion fruit, Peru balsam, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 21.02.2020.

A rose variety of the French breeder Delbard is named after this perfume.

10.0 9.0 10.0 10.0/10

Nahéma is an island
Nahema - for many you are loud and strong
A perfume full of power, called 'Wummser'

To me, you're the complete opposite:
A place of silence, a space of complete security
An aura that silences me
Only then can I meet you, beautiful Nahema

I lose weight and you gain weight Your silence has conquered me
Nahema, you are my island
To kneel down beautiful
For self-sinking picturesque
I'm not on the island with you You are rather the island yourself

You are pure and without falsehood
Natural
Of original, wild beauty
Your wildness has formed winds and waves

I prefer the dunes
The surf and the sound of the sea so very, very close
It's getting quieter and quieter inside me
You open my ear Play around my face
You will eloquent and open my soul
Tell me about the old days
What it looked like here in the dew of years ago

Paint your portrait in front of my eyes
A painting... like a poem And in the silence
In my self-chosen solitude
When I find you, your true face ... my near one
... my island
... my embers
... my passion

You bring me back to myself And with you the road is so easy
There's an amazing glow coming from you
You are an island in light
Born in light and called to be light
Nahema, my companion, you make me happy
You are even softer, even more enveloping, even more beautiful
Still and still and still much more
As your neighbouring island
On which I also already stayed very gladly
On which I have been at home for several months

The same wind blew at both of you, brought many seeds and planted
The same impetuous sea has burnt around you, revitalized you and formed your character
The same bright green and deep red colours gave you your beautiful face
... my near one
... my eau de parfum
... my perfume

My islands, I love you both But I love you even more than that Still and still and still much more

Thank you, dear Blödel-Claudi, for this precious gift
Thank you, dear Calendula, for dropping these 'sea drops'
9.0/10

Queen Rose
The queen of rose fragrances for me. Nahema is a true Guerlain masterpiece that is like deep rose coloured devore, moving between thick and velvety and at other times sheer as chiffon and then back again. Nahema's constant movement keeps your senses aware of her for hours and hours but is never tiresome. This is review is for the parfum.

Classicism meets Disco.
Nahema smells like rose the way Paco Rabanne’s Metal smells like green flowers, which is to say scarcely at all. I know it’s hardly a secret that Nahema is a virtual rose, an implied rose. I see the parts, but I don’t see the rose. Not a complaint, mind you. I love Nahema. I see it as the spiritual predecessor to Gucci Rush. It’s Rush’s disco auntie.

I know that Nahema took advantage of new-at-the-time aromachemicals that were used elsewhere to amplify and extend actual rose. Here these chemicals are used to create a perfume of crystalline flowery fruit with balsams and wood. Actually this smells like a peachy iris on a base of Guerlain’s earlier stunner Chamade. The heartnotes are like Chamade’s, but stoned and giggling.

In the long run, the rather chemical nature of Nahema allows the fragrance to be focused on abstract qualities. Nahema isn’t floral. It’s glassy and shimmering, and its upper register is about an inch from shrill. These qualities give it it excitement and vibrance. Does it simulate a rose? Not to me. Is it a blast to wear? Every single time.
7.5 10.0 10.0 8.5/10

A perfumer's triumph
This is evocative of a promenade in a fragrant, opulent rose garden, it is an hommage to the rose, and the name looks back to the orient, because this rose does not come from an English garden...
Sheherazadeh is the leading motive in Nahéma - and as the fairy tale develops, it shows a tender, warming aspect with vanilla, peru balm and sandalwood. In a way Nahéma is a precursor of many rose scents which were to follow later, e.g. the loud but gorgeous Paris by YSL. "Nahéma" is also one of those love or loathe perfumes - and that's a good thing. It counts among the most original, groundbreaking fragrances from the late 1970's with its fairy-tale story about the fate of two princesses from "Thousand and One Nights". Nahéma, the daughter of fire (that's what her name means) is driven by her passions and obviously, Jean-Paul Guerlain wanted to translate this idea of passion by using a whole caravan of flowers and damascones, plus a lot of warm, resinious notes. All these add up to a powerful perfume with an intricacy of floral beauty that is unique. A shimmering, dark, velvety "rose" hovers over the entire composition, it's a thriumph of the perfumer over natural, true-to-life accords, a perfume of voluptuous, rich, yet abstract flowers. If you think that "Nahéma" is too voluptuous for you, dab it on discreetly and give it a try. It's simply a masterpiece.
7.5 7.5 9.0/10

Sui Generis Waxy Rose
Guerlain NAHEMA is a truly unique creation. It actually reminds me of chewing on crayons for some reason. Not that I've ever chewed on crayons, but the texture feels the same to me as I imagine it would feel to chew on crayons. What is odd, however, is that instead of being put off by the slightly soft crayon wax, I actually love it!

In spite of all that has been written about the lack of any true rose in this composition, I myself do smell a dark red, very rich rose quality here. True, it is nothing like the rose notes of typical rose perfumes--whether soliflores or fruity florals. And I also prefer the quality of the rose note here to that of rose geranium, which often accompanies or substitutes for rose. What marks NAHEMA as distinct is that this "rose" is coated with wax: these "petals" are dense and thick and waiting to be shaved—or chewed.

Is NAHEMA the queen of all rose perfumes? I think that to make such a claim is to do a great disservice to this sui generis perfume, as it exhausts its own genre. It doesn't really make sense to compare this to anything else. It is what it is, and it's not what it's not. One thing is clear: it's definitely nothing like any other perfume known to me.

Many thanks to the generous fellow fragrance traveler who sent this beauty to me!

Nahéma, meine Roseninsel ༄ Guerlaindig und neue Signatur
by Santalwalti
by Inger
by Inger
Die Nymphe sitzt auf ihrem Felsen, um sie herum nur Wasser und Nahema ...
by Calendula
by Calendula
by Coriolon
Nahema-Fans oder alle, die es werden wollen, bitte unbedingt den wunderbaren Blogbeitrag von Coriolon lesen!
by Marta
by Tandi
by Chanelle
by Chanelle

Popular Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Jicky (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain Héritage (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain