Samsara 1989 Eau de Parfum

Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain
Bottle Design Robert Granai
Samsara (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 1989. The scent is oriental-floral. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot Green notesGreen notes PeachPeach Ylang-ylangYlang-ylang LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrris rootOrris root JasmineJasmine NarcissusNarcissus CarnationCarnation RoseRose VioletViolet
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber IrisIris MuskMusk SandalwoodSandalwood Tonka beanTonka bean VanillaVanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 18.05.2022.

The original formula contained around 20% of natural sandalwood oil from Mysore - at the time a rather inexpensive ingredient. Today's scarcity of real sandalwood, an endangered wood species, has necessitated a reformulation of Samsara with a higher concentration of Polysantol, a synthetic sandalwood substitute.

The term Samsara is a Sanskrit word that has its roots in Hinduism. It refers to the cycle of birth and rebirth, the eternal wheel of life.

The lying eight or ..
... are there speed limits also for the flow of life?

End of the 80s, the birth year of Samsara: I had just turned 18, shortly before moving out of the parental home - have tried my best to bring the outer suddenly "adult woman's world" with the inner still-child girl in harmony. What inner strength wasn't there yet, I tried all the harder to demonstrate on the outside. For even more drama "Rouge noir" on the suitably deep dark red framed lips, and without coal black eyeliner I would hardly have gone out to the garbage can. Back then, punk girls wore holey fishnet stockings with a plaid skirt and black boots. The sultry "Loulou" was the olfactory ultimate for me at the time.
Until one day I - meanwhile arrived in the so-called business world - stumbled into a well-stocked perfumery in Hanover. Directly in front of the shelf with the Guerlain fragrances. "Shalimar" was allowed to move in with me first, for many years I was faithful to it. "Samsara"... i don't know. I don't know. It's kind of nice, but... but it's too much, too full, too... everything. Tested, on and off. In different versions. Never bought, because neither the "but" nor the "actually" wanted to give way. Mitsouko, L'heure bleue, Angelique Noire, Aqua Allegorias... moved in with me over the years. Samsara? Still no.

Until ... Time travel to the year 2021. The flow of life sometimes wild and rough, sometimes gentle and quiet, rarely boring. A gift especially of the last three years has been that it has become clearer and clearer what is real and belongs to me and what (or who) does not.
Walked into a perfumery again the other day, another new, again rather half-hearted attempt. Hmmm. Hmmm...?!!! First jasmine announces itself, still a bit prickly in the nose. Not for long though, ylang ylang and sandalwood and tonka bean play their very own harmonies to it. All of a sudden, a beautiful, heavenly overall tone rings out that keeps me warm and mellow throughout the rest of the day. And it went "zoom."
No more question... it's mine now. Whether I'm wearing jeans or a cashmere dress, I'm with me when I wear it. It's not the outside that matters.

Samsara ... a formidable name for a fragrance. At the same time one that is obviously up to him. Eternal wheel of life, becoming and being. Perhaps a certain maturity belongs to wear this fragrance
samsara.......pour homme
Do you know the story of Samsara? I mean the one that Guerlain told before LVMH made a second Dior out of it?
It goes something like this:

Jean-Paul Guerlain struck up a conversation on the streets of Paris, completely incognito, with a lady who was conspicuously not wearing perfume.
She would love to wear perfume.....but her favorite scent, sandalwood, was reserved for men, and she didn't want to wear a man's scent.

Guerlain now did the following: He created Samsara. The world's first feminine sandalwood fragrance.
The wood he refined with his guerlinade and precious raw materials, eg the often and popular jasmine.
And if they have not died, they are still living happily ever after together...

Of course, Samsara is a child of its time: an opulent fragrance of the 80s. He is in no way inferior to LouLou or Poison.

It's a wonderful fragrance, and I confess to enjoying wearing it myself from time to time.Whenever I find old bottles, I can't resist.....

The reformulation is fresher, lighter and flatter. As an eau de toilette, it is now a diluted disaster. As an eau de parfum, a semi-acceptable substitute for the bad days when my old bottles will be used up.
Daddy (1989)
I wonder what you'd say, Dad, if you knew you were in my review of Samsara? That you even play the main role in it, that is - next to me. And next to Samsara, of course.

Yet it's only logical, because it all started with you. On a Wednesday afternoon in November 1989, because on Wednesday afternoons you had closed the practice. You were with my mother in this tiny perfumery in Berchtesgaden, which no longer exists. I was there, I was fifteen and I was freezing. On the one hand, that was due to beauty, because you freeze with a mini and a belly, at least in November in Berchtesgaden. On the other hand, it was a matter of principle. It was always about principle with both of us, wasn't it?

You had this invisible corset around you that one wears when one comes from a Protestant parsonage: Beauty for you could only be endured with austerity, it was your antidote to any form of temptation: your churches Romanesque, your music the Bach fugues. My mother with her hair combed tightly from her forehead.

And on top of that, this daughter. I was a bird-of-paradise child, a monstrous splash of color in Your clearly ordered world, and because I knew it, and because I wanted it otherwise, every breath in Your presence was rebellion: I turned the volume knob on my boombox to full blast and let Richie Sambora's electric guitar screech into Your fugues. I wore the (Catholic) rosary around my neck and skirts that brought blushes to your face. You never entered my room again, because the topless Jon Bon Jovi hung like a larger-than-life defensive spell in such a way that you had to see him as soon as you walked in. Just like you should have seen a lot of things. But the thick layer of black kohl around my blue eyes blocked your view of the guilelessness behind them. You wanted to hold on to your little girl, and I wanted to force your recognition of my femininity.

You said, "How do you look again!" I pushed my lower lip forward and pulled my neckline down further. You said, "You're not leaving the house looking like that!" I threw my head back and left.

You know - sometimes I think we were both cold. Not just in November.

Anyway, that Wednesday afternoon you bought my mother a perfume, Givenchy III - it was always Givenchy III. She got the bottle and I got a little sample that said Samsara and Guerlain, neither of which I had ever heard of before.
I didn't try it until I got home, and I remember thinking, "This, this is exactly what women smell like."
Dad, I had no idea about fragrance pyramids back then. I just felt that I had to smell like that because I was a woman. Today I would say that it was because of this all-embracing, warm, tender sandalwood note that resolves every contradiction and puts a smiling exclamation mark behind all questions: behind the one for liveliness a very delicate squirt of lemon, like a crackling spark. Peach, tonka and vanilla behind sensuality. The elegance of iris, the extravagance of narcissus. The lascivious heaviness of jasmine. And in all so much innocence, Papa, like a bouquet of roses, violets and garden carnations. No, you can't smell all that. After all, that's what makes us women, that we're all of those things at once, never just one or the other. I didn't think about it at the time, but I guess I felt it.

I went downstairs with it, in the hallway I met you. Real close I walked past you, I wanted you to smell it on me. You stopped, "Wait a minute," you said. "What's that? What do you smell?" I pushed through the small of my back and lifted my chin. "It's the sample you gave me earlier," I said. "Samsara. From Guerlain." You smiled then and nodded. "It's beautiful," you said. "It suits you."

I don't know if you fully understood what you were saying yes to at the time. Not with your mind maybe, but maybe yes with your heart. And I know that from then on, I never froze.
I've been wearing samsara ever since. There have been breaks in all these years. But I've never lost sight of it. Some days I imagine it rising like a burnt offering up to You in the sky. That you smell it, and, now finally rid of your Protestant parsonage corset, smile. And therefore, and though I don't really like to commit myself, it is my signature.
I wear it for you
and for me.
I wear it for both of us
and forever,
Dad.
Miro
I don't think he's that oriental
It's no use.... it was reformulated and yes, it certainly smelled better before, lasted longer and at all. But nu it is just so that we have to live with the new version.
Thanks to the souk here I now hold a bottling of Samsara in my hands.
In the top note we start floral. I smell ylang ylang. I love the stuff and here it does not come across sultry, the green notes make sure of that. Such perfumes I hardly know from today, but there will certainly be.

There are also immediately many flowers announce themselves. I smell a large bouquet of flowers, the largest share of which is jasmine, but I also perceive narcissus and carnations.
Likewise, there is something soapy, clean. The perfume smells bright and clear.
I see a white table in the garden with 4 chairs. A pitcher of lemonade, some cookies, and glasses and plates....behind are gorgeous flower beds and perennials. It's warm but not hot and there are bees buzzing around too. This garden is in harmony with nature. There is no English lawn or even gravel beds. Many varieties of flowers, shrubs and wild herbs bloom here. Squirrels, birds and butterflies feel at home here. Here I can sit , just be there and relaxed perceive the life around me.

I think I'm describing my grandma's garden right now. The scent reminds me of the beautiful time I was allowed to spend with her. She never wore perfume, by the way. It's more the feeling that comes up in me when I sniff Samsara. I feel well taken care of, loved and safe.

Later, the scent becomes a bit more powdery and vanilla, accompanied by sandalwood. Maybe Samsara evokes a little retro feeling in me, but this is not an old-fashioned, unfashionable fragrance. I can well imagine that he worked in the earlier version much more oriental than today.

I find the fragrance really beautiful and for me I can say that Samsara could accompany me in any situation. To work, Käffchen with a friend, to go for a walk . I would always be well scented, never would it be too much and I know no one who wears it. So in real life I don't smell it anywhere

4ajbukoshka
"Wallah, he's horny in a different way!". Impressions of a bus stop. Or: FSK [not old enough]
A wonderful good morning to all early risers and a good night to all night owls!
What comes out when 4ajbukoshka puts her Moka on the stove after 16 o'clock, you read the following, because Signorina could not sleep once again. So it's about an encounter and this time the reason for the sleepless night is not called "Signor Il heartbreaker", but "Samsara".

Samsara, that sounds like "Aramsamsam, aramsamsam, gulli gulli..." - you know. Funny name, I thought, before I read the explanation of it.
After that, however, Mufasa came to mind, which tells something about the eternal cycle of life and already I am positive about this discovery.
The bee flacon I personally find heartallerliebst and would find it absolutely terrific, one would standardize similar to USB connectors for mobile phone charging cables the flacon for perfumes, so that they would all result in a beautiful order, regardless of how many of it one has in the cabinet.

At what point is one actually old enough for a certain scent, a notorious perfume, or even just a certain brand?
And in what strange places 4ajbukoshka drives her mischief?
These questions will (hopefully) be answered approximately in the following.
May 2021. 4ajbukoshka moves her round cat belly (not pregnant, just fat) outside for once and since it's raining AND she has a long way to go, she takes NOT (her bike) Charlie for once, but the bus. Actually, she hates riding the bus and as much as people love her, she hates them, especially when they come in droves. But now wearing FFP-2 masks is mandatory and people keep their distance. Not good conditions to test its effect on the environment, but at least good ones to sit on the bus undisturbed, reading and listening to music, or so 4ajbukoshka thought. And so it came to pass.
Until... she got off to change buses. Unsuspecting, she stood there like that, people-watching, because her cell phone battery was once again dead and she was not a power box owner (secretly, with a book in front of her nose, so again no one could watch her that easily). Getting off the bus with her were three teenagers (ages: estimated 12 - 19, depending on whether you look at them or listen to them).
1, carrying fanny pack around shoulder (vaffanculo blin, why is this thing called "fanny pack" again?), wearing chunky ugly sneakers, hair styled straight without any frizz with a center parting, let's call her Lena-Sophie (name made up, she is addressed by person 2 AND 3 alternately with Habibi, Mädschänn and other pet names, but only person 2 gives her kisses on the mouth).
2, the guy with the (maybe fake) Gucci cap and EarPods is obviously her boyfriend, he addresses person 1 as "Habibi" after all, is (actually) named Jamie.
3: Guy with typical Tiktok haircut, read: curly top of head, shaved sides (kinda like Signor Il heartbreaker, only less cute, of course). We'll call him... Jeremy.
[...]
Jeremy: Eeey, do you have to exaggerate like that again? Isch told you, just the [biep]...
[...]
Lena-Sophie: [squeals and shrieks, apparently she's on the phone with her BFF until the wrong person's Instagramlike divorces her]
Jamie: Nasty, man, nasty.
Jeremy: Brate, I tell yourrrrr [...] (4ajbukoshka's ears perk up. Russian? Ukrainian? Or capital bra listener? This could get interesting.)
[...]
Lena-Sophie: Wallah, it smells different horny. Sorry, honey, but Jeremy, is that you? Is that your thingy again? What's it called again?
Jeremy, obviously just grown fifty centimetres: Wallah, sure, who else? Certainly not the Opfa there (nodding to Jamie).
Jamie: Bratan, watch who you're talking to. Are you making me look stupid in front of my girlfriend right now?!
Jeremy: Skrrrr. Bro, what do you think of me? Am I someone who does eyes?
Jamie: Kiss your hand, Bratan. Honor maaaaann!
Lena-Sophie: But Beeebiiiii! Did I just ask you? What now, Jeremy?
Jeremy: No idea what you're talking about! Boy, what is she babbling about (looks at Jamie for help)!
4ajbukoshka would have liked to intervene at this point and expose herself as the originator of the scent source. But she prefers to keep her distance, silent and wondering how anyone could notice her at two meters away. Right now she would actually rather be invisible.
The bus arrives. After what feels like a hundred years. Everyone gets on, there is a fourth person waiting on the bus, Meltem.
The conversations continue. Meltem is called "Bratina" by Jamie and Jeremy, Lena-Sophie calls her "sweetie" or "Duuuu".
The digital display on the bus is broken.
4ajbukoshka hears a throat clearing.
Jeremy: Excuse me? Can you tell us what stop we're at and how much longer it's going to take us uuuuroughly to get to City Hall Square in South? The schedule has been changed and now the times in the app are not correct.
4ajbukoshka: Hey, sorry, but my battery died, otherwise I would have liked to check, took a screenshot of there. But it's still more than ten minutes.
Meltem: Give her your cable, look, she has iPhone!
Jamie, comes trotting in from the back row: Here, you're welcome to charge your phone.
After a short while, 4ajbukoshka's cell phone turns on.
Jeremy: Oh, do you speak Greek?
4ajbukoshka: No. Why?
Jeremy: I see the Greek alphabet on your phone (starts philosophizing about math).
Lena-Sophie: Wallah, he's into those, isn't he?
Jamie: Habibi, what do you THINK? He is just nice, mashallah. She's way too old for him.
4ajbukoshka is secretly blushing. Wow. (K)A quarter of a century and already old?!

Well... I guess that's how it is.
If you think one moment you're young, in the next breath really young people tell you you're not. The (German) set is on 4ajbukoshkas side, because there is "young", who has not yet completed the 27th year.
So in her "young years", for young people u18 already old or TOO old, she carries Samsara walk. And after reading about age restrictions several times again just today, in a blog about the zeitgeist of perfume and how you shouldn't wear gummy bear gourmands and the like beyond 40, she'll be doing that RIGHT in the future.
After all, her ten-year-old sister Prinzessa's statement fragrance was none other than No. 5, layered with umpteen other scents, lest Mom realize her perfume closet had been raided.
Had 4ajbukoshka dared, she would have recommended "Samsara" to Lena-Sophie today (or yesterday). So only the hope remains, Lena-Sophie will soon discover and recognize it.
Because recognition value has Samsara - and apparently also a strong aura, sillage and durability.

Flowers, in between a touch of bubble gum, perhaps owed to the peach, even more flowers, which are similar to Chanel's "Beige" more and more towards soap / body lotion / creaminess transform, the longer they dance the slow, wonderful waltz with the skin and also swirl now and then cheeky-beautiful through the air...
Samsara is as romantic as glitter and Cinderella in glass dancing shoes, gliding lightheartedly across the dance floor as her dress alternates between blue and pink.
Duftblüte
Short fright and long joy
I must confess, I don't particularly like the opening shortly after spraying it on. Whether it is because of the green notes? It smells a little artificial and, how should I put it, a little too dull-oriental for me. The somewhat dusty bergamot doesn't make this impression any better. After a short while, however, a potpouri of floral scents rises, with lemon and a bit of peach mingling in ever so softly. The whole thing is beautifully supported by a warm base consisting of a wonderful vanilla and tonka bean cream that is never oversweet thanks to ambergris, musk and sandalwood. This vanilla and tonka bean cream determines the fragrance impression more and more over time, even if it is accompanied for a long time by the scent of the flowers and, somewhat less clearly, by that of the fruit. What I appreciate about this perfume is that it caresses me for hours and I can perceive it on myself. It is certainly less suitable for hot summer days (then rather for the evening). Otherwise, I wear it at will and whim
Kira Maria...
...was a woman... no... a grande dame, to be exact, and a friend of my mother's. Kira is Greek for "woman". Kira Maria... so this woman Maria was several years older than my mother and became a widow at an early age. Despite the difference in age, both women had a common hobby, namely sewing. They often exchanged patterns, went to buy fabrics, helped each other with tricky things and had a lot of fun together. I loved this woman, because for me she embodied the image of an independent, educated, wise woman who had to learn to get along without a man at an early age and relied only on her own strength. I admired her style. She was always smartly dressed, her costumes fitted perfectly and she always, but really always, had matching shoes and bag. Sometimes she saw some shoes she liked, bought them and sewed a matching costume. Her fingernails were always discreetly painted, her hairstyle was right and she smelled soooo lovely like samsara. I liked to go along when my mother visited her, although I was a teenager at the time and preferred to hang out with my friends.
I loved listening to her talk about times and experiences long gone. She never made me feel like an ignorant, stupid teenager but always asked me for my opinion and encouraged me to follow news, read books, always stay curious and question everything...in short, to use my brain ;-)
And when I think of kira Maria, I always think of powder...because samsara does just that...it has this powdery note that some people think is old-fashioned, but I find wonderfully elegant.
The prelude of samsara reminds me of Nivea suntan lotion...yes really...but only very short...very short. After that a mixture of bergamot and lemon is added, accompanied by amber and lots of clove. This might kill one or the other, especially when all the flowers are still mixed in but people, what comes out is an iris of the finest, which brings along this elegant powdery one...carried by sandalwood, tonka bean and vanilla, needless to mention that in the drydown this initially flowery spicy turns into something creamy sweet and just smells delicious...

Ttfortwo
Unfortunately only second winner, the Extrait wins with me by a tiny margin
8 a.m.: I make my way to the home office (a very short walk) and decide to play Samsara Extrait against Samsara Eau de Parfum (the current version). I have the EdP since last year and I love it.

So I apply a spray of Samsara EdP to my right wrist - only one and probably rather carefully applied - and very briefly a pert cloud rises, a touch of nose-fresh lemon, paired with the matt-flowery and slightly dusty bergamot and the wonderful Guerlain peach (everyone always talks about the famous Guerlain vanilla, that's fine with me, they are indeed very good at it, but has anyone ever noticed how well Guerlain Peach can do - a fragrance that is almost notoriously in the synthetic-squeaky peach fruit gum (sour) direction in others?). The chord quickly becomes mid-dark - the fresher notes I only notice with my nose on my skin after a few minutes. By the way, this is different when I spray the clothes, the brighter notes stay noticeable much longer. But I want to test on the skin
On the left wrist I take a whiff of the closure of the samsara bottle. Just a touch, but it is a statement: The subjective scent impression of this almost homeopathic application is at least as present as with the sprayed EdP. Here I look for the fresher notes almost in vain, the extract starts (sprayed it probably looks a bit fresher) right away with the actual statement and that is: sandalwood. Strong, dark moldy, spicy sandalwood, the other notes are ornament and decoration and wonderful accessories, only the iris powder I can still capture as a single note.

9 o'clock in the morning: Both fragrances are on the same level and have also developed to a quite similar soft, darkly coloured scent impression. Chubby sandalwood dominates, the extract seems spicier to me now and maybe denser, softer, a bit more velvety, the EdP is a bit more floral, the jasmine has taken its chance well, I'd say. Both scents projection is quite audible - again and again sandaly-spicy clouds puff up and I can't tell if they are from the right or left wrist
10 am: There is not really anything new to report yet. I sit overjoyed in this matte flowery spicy sandalwood cloud, smell sometimes right, sometimes left and hardly notice any difference.

11 o'clock: Well, well, well. Extrait seems a little weak. The EdP is now clearly ahead in terms of scent intensity, a surprising turn of events in a competition where the winner seemed to be fixed in advance.

12:00 noon: all-clear. The EdP has ignited the final stage and is slowly descending back towards the base Note-Divan.

The Extrait, on the other hand, still looks very rested, the heart notes smell present and it seems to have picked up again: It's also more audible at a distance
And: I finally find an expression for what I have already felt with both of them throughout the entire fragrance process, namely security. Softly spiced vanilla, sandalwood embrace, powdery peace
1pm: The EdP is resting and will continue to do so for many hours and the technical winner has been determined. It's the Extrait, it has more endurance, even if the flower notes are slowly becoming quieter.

2 pm: The Extrait also begins to withdraw. A butter-soft glide into the base notes begins, which is about >br />
15 o'clock approximately nears completion.

At about 16 o'clock both versions are equal again. Both base notes smell wonderfully comforting and embracing and peaceful, warm and homely and I sniff sometimes left, sometimes right and know from experience that I will do this for a long time. And a small miracle: Completely unexpectedly, even now a sandal cloud still puffs up from time to time - even the base notes still have a certain external effect.

Conclusion: Both of them have done very well on my scent eater skin - many other perfume-tested scent monster performers have given up in many tests much earlier.

The Extrait scores with maximum fragrance development at minimum dosage - a tiny wiper is enough for the whole day and over a few hours it always smells a little bit softer, softer, more comforting and delicately darker than the Eau de Parfum, which is a little brighter and a touch more angular.

The EdP, however, costs only a fraction and is - in itself - a wonderful softwood and velvety fragrance of great beauty.

But perfume will always be the winner of my heart. Because - apart from this short 11 o'clock sag - it always had a nose advantage and because it is able to make the world a little bit more beautiful - and especially this horrible, twisted and rainy day before - a little bit more beautiful
At the very last: I have published this text identically in the Extrait, after all it concerns both versions equally. So don't be surprised. And: If this should contradict any rules, just say so, I will delete an article.
Frieda50
What lasts long will finally be good or love at second sight?
At some point I imagined that I had to treat myself to something very special for my birthday - a Guerlin - Samsara.
Researched, ordered the red bottle from the Internet dealer, he delivers the modern version, a short sprayer, disappointment spreads, the goods go back.
My frustration ends up in the forum and I receive many helpful answers by return of post.
On Ebay someone finds a (vintage?) version eau de toilette for me. But I'm not too enthusiastic about it - it goes on wandering over the souk to a real lover (thanks for that!).
A very old miniature from Ebay is pretty, but contains rather coloured water, there is nothing to smell anymore.
I make one last attempt, order the eau de parfum of the modern version from the cheapest mail order company and start testing this time without great expectations.
The nice SabriNoir also sent me a bottle of her Extrait as a birthday present, which I am keeping and have tested quite timidly so far.
So: the way it looks like I can live with the modern "bee flacon".
My initial disappointment certainly stems from the fact that samsara is in an exclusive and high-priced circle and I had expected a "bomb" similar to my 80s sweetheart.
Oh, no, no, no, no Suddenly I realize that I want her like that and not otherwise. Blooming in secret, unobtrusive, classic, on many occasions (not only to the opera but even daily to the office depending on the dosage).
Nobody screams here, pushes themselves into the foreground. As a (deterrent) comparison I always have my sister-in-law, who throws herself at me in waves of Diva or Paloma Picasso at family parties.
With Samsara I suddenly have the scent for the many special occasions - the important job interview, where I want to strengthen my self-confidence - the company party in the circle of my predominantly male colleagues (if I want to go beyond the "freshly showered image").
And I read the previous comments and can absolutely agree with them - that's exactly how I feel about this fragrance. I found it late, but why should it not be forever?
Faded soft colors
Do you know that?
When you get older, the colors fade...

I do not only mean the dioptric adjustments, which have to be done almost every six months, but also the colours of the emotions.

You've got so much after 50 years: first the exhausting quest for independence, then finding out who you really are.

Then, if you are lucky, you meet someone with whom you can throw this self and its you into one pot. And then you might even dare the risk - incomprehensible in retrospect - to promise this guy that you will stay with him for the rest of his life. I did, I'm crazy! And I'm still at his side.

We have three children who are already big. Not in your head, of course (I'll just say that now), but as a mother you're standing next to it and have to and want to let her do it. Amazed and sometimes a little envious, I see how they live their radiant colours without a helmet. Life is so beautiful... without But!

And the mother is so afraid for them, wishes them love without suffering and yet knows that it almost never works so beautifully. Let him go. To be there when needed and wanted. Reset.

So many have gone by now: Parents, friends, companions. Final and sometimes painful and miserable. After each of these for me so stirring and painful deaths I had to sort myself again and find the strength to continue.

Wikipedia:
"Samsara (Sanskrit, n., संसार, saṃsāra; Pali: saṃsāra; literally: "constant wandering") is the term for the perpetual cycle of being, the cycle of becoming and passing away or the cycle of rebirths in the Indian religions Buddhism, Jainism and partial currents of Hinduism."

I'm no longer a believer, but I'm still moved by the "everything flows" feeling that this beautiful perfume gives me.

Guerlain's "Samsara" is - like me - an old ham, but THAT's what it is for me, because he could accompany me all these years like a second skin.

When I discovered this fragrance in the 90s, it appeared as if it underlined the new in and on me: it was clear, like a freshly painted deep dark red. a little oriental, radiant, pure, honest and big. He was like an orientation, had a fighting heart, was a guard rail for me and also underlined youthful attractiveness. He was uncompromising, straight. Sometimes it's biting. That's how I always wanted to be.

30 years later, he's no longer deep dark red on me, any more than I am. Today it smells a little stone washed, a faded brownish red-orange. The fabric has become much softer, in some places even a bit threadbare, but it still seems to withstand all loads.

He's still clear, still honest, but he's become so much milder. More cuddly, friendly and also more tolerant, devoted to the fact that things are as they are.

But that's not why it's any less beautiful!

I'm curious where Samsara and I are going to go...

JayNayJayNay 1 year ago
Is it me, or is there a huge resemblance with Habit Rouge EDP? I’m talking Samsara EDP Beehive Btl. They smell very similar in the dry down
Alex1984Alex1984 4 years ago
1989 vintage edp; there’s no mistaking, this has the real deal. Mysore in spades, like you couldn’t even dream of today! Absolute beauty!

by DemonHead
by DemonHead
by Cincy
Die Kinder haben komisch geguckt.
by Blödel
by Sweetgrass
by Sweetgrass
by Taurus1967
by Taurus1967
she whispers like the smoke of sandalwood incense...
by Turmfalke
by Stardust
by Stardust
by Scensodine
by Scensodine
Shown with sandalwood incense smoke....
by Sherapop
by Zezick
by Silverrain
by Silverrain

Popular by Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Shalimar Millésime Vanilla Planifolia by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain