Samsara 1991 Eau de Toilette

Samsara (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain
Bottle Design Robert Granai
Top 84 in Women's Perfume
Samsara (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 1991. The scent is floral-oriental. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
MuskMusk
SandalwoodSandalwood
Tonka beanTonka bean
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by Venice, last update on 23.10.2021.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain, which differs in concentration.

When it happens
"A heartbeat just for me and those who are with me". We are heroes.

It's 1994, little Lami is with Dad in Stuttgart's largest department store. He has to go through the perfume department and meineriner stands in front of the flacons. My dad was a cop - yes one of the variety "crime scene" and as it is in the crime novel, he likes to arrest people. So my dad leaves me in heaven and I stand there, eight, half able to read, in front of the display of Guerlain (Guär-lah-ihn) with orders to stay there and not go. The saleswoman catches sight of me, sits me down behind the counter and hands me a book by Bräuni-Bär, For those who don't know: Bräuni was the mascot of a traditional department store in Stuttgart, which was supposed to bind childish consumers. Gladly students stuck in the plush prison to improve the BAföG.
So I sat there and there it was, that smell. soft, beautiful and extremely powdery. The saleswoman sprayed something on a tempo for me. "It's called Samsara, you'll wear this scent when you grow up."

So, 26 years later. Whenever I go to the department store today, I think of my dad and I always get sore. The other day, when the man was testing L'Homme Ideal, and Vetivier, and L'Homme, I stood around and reached for Samsara - more to smell something different. And yes, I was in love. Warm, soft and so cozy and very special.
All the green fruitiness of the citrus notes of the top slowly gives way to this great balanced heart of iris root, jasmine, rose, violet and garden carnation - I barely smell narcissus. Slowly the base melts into the heart and the impossibly well balanced notes of iris, amber and musk come into play, making the scent soft and powdery. Tonka and vanilla give it warmth and sandalwood rounds things off beautifully.

Yes, Samsara is a gem. Rarely do I find myself so eager for the heart notes of a fragrance. I admit, I often have a hard time with classics - especially those from the early 90s. But this one is wonderfully timeless and yet I got the vibes of my childhood.

Now I'm grown up, own enough perfume, and Dad is no more. He never had any understanding for my passion and yet I have one thing from him: thanks to him it is there, this comforting pain when I walk through Stuttgart's big B.. And still I prefer to turn into the perfumery and not into the sweets tunnel(imagine: Massive amounts of sweets in a bordellesque lit passageway). Still I wonder how shop detectives could be shaken off and rich upper-class bling wives could unobtrusively switch shopping bags. And still this place is one for me: flaunted consumerism and childhood. Thanks old man.

Cream of sandal cream
Samsara is indisputably recognized among Guerlainfans as a masterpiece, although there are very strong fluctuations in the batches. With other fragrances, I personally never noticed them (of course I know about the endless Aventus batch discussion or reformulations and relaunches that have mutilated the original scent beyond recognition, but...GUERLAIN! Hey! Before Thierry Wasser neuters a fragrance because of new IFRA regulations, it better be discontinued!), but Samsara EdT really does come in different delivery forms. Right now I'm specifically concerned with the version in the red bottle, which I've heard was not the best. Mmmh.
But beautiful she is already...
While the top note starts slightly velvety-fruity, downright flattering in the nose, the first Asian influences are already recognizable or erriechbar. Spicy, gentle sandalwood note on cuddly soft flower soap.
Indian incense of the most timid kind.
The sandalwood note still gains strength, but remains exceedingly creamy, with mild sweetness. A glow emanates from this blend, not as opulent as from the EdP, not as imperious as from the PdT, and not as all-night as from the Extrait.
Portable, Indian-spicy sandalwood cream. Not such an 80s/90s powerhouse as one might expect, but easily perceived for a long time due to its quiet, yet persistent nature. Price / performance phenomenal.
MariReniRena
The smell of my childhood
If there is one fragrance that takes me straight back to my childhood, it is samsara.

In 1999, when I was still a 5 year old girl, my grandma was given this fragrance as a gift. She only used this one fragrance and I loved it so much! I kept taking the bottle out of the closet to smell it. I still see this gift in front of me. The flacon looked different back then, a black/red/gold cap and a transparent bottle adorned the fragrance. Unfortunately I don't like the design of today any more. In my opinion, the bottle no longer has a character of its own, all fragrances look the same, only the colors differ. I think that's a real pity. But it's good that we still have a vintage bottle, it's well protected.

In itself, the fragrance is difficult for me to describe, I just think of my childhood when I smell it. The fragrance is already very heavy, but it also has something light and airy, which I like so much. Most of all I perceive the sandalwood, the jasmine and the vanilla. An incredibly seductive composition. The Sillage is also very strong, so I treated myself to the Eau de Toilette in order not to be overwhelmed by the scent. But for an Eau de Toilette the scent is still strong and one should be careful with the dosage!

There's something really soothing about the way I smell that smell. It also makes me so happy that the fragrance still exists and that I can buy it myself! At that time as a child, of course, you didn't think that you would be able to wear this fragrance yourself one day. Perfume was still something mysterious then.

At first I had doubts whether this fragrance was a bit old-fashioned for me, but I think it suits me perfectly. Besides, it always depends on the dosage and you should not overdo it with this fragrance :)

For me this fragrance will always bring back a piece of childhood and that's what I love about it
Unanimity
Today I felt nervousness in me germinate, and it pulled me - purely therapeutically - into the perfumery.

I asked for a consolation or " harmonizer ".

Besides, I wanted to surprise myself with a blind buy.

The grab bag was Rechs Paris est une Fete - but then I discovered the rare red bottle Samsara.
I simply like this design better than the new flacons - and you can't have enough of Samsara in your house.

Despite my supplies, I sprayed at home, and was amazed.
The scent is beautiful, but a little different?

Oh - I had accidentally bought the EDT - and accidentally done everything right.

His statement is also full and strong - but somewhat more cautious than the EDP.
It first circles me quietly before it lies shining on my skin.
The ingredients are the same, but the Edt comes lighter and more floating towards me.
A trace more transparent - but not thinner.

I feel reminded of Samsara Shine by its consistency, although Shine comes with other ingredients.

But this distinctive " translucent " is similar.

The EDP reminds me of velvet - the EDT of silk.
I wouldn't want to miss either.

The husband adds one more thing by rejecting my hand wetted with right, but gladly reaching for the samsara hand.
I have to agree with him.

The Paris surprise party is good - but Samsara is better.

Renascence of the Oriental
Where it was Moguls and Harems that inspired the Oriental prototypes of Les Parfums de Rosine, Samsara is a neo-orientalist work that bears parallels to the phenomenon of Indian Haute Couture which emerged in the 1980s.

The style, based on a hybrid of Indian and Western forms and known as Bollywood Ballgown, was a lavishly embroidered Saree style evening dress, created in India using the latest European fashion training and technology. Guerlain, in partnership with outside perfumer Gérard Anthony created their own version of a western - oriental hybrid in 1989. They did this by applying their skills and technological expertise to traditional Indian materials and tastes - emphasising the sweet over the more stereotypical spicy notes.

Samsara uses a range of flavours found in Indian sweet shops: honey, castor sugar and Demerara, vanilla, spice, starch and milk. These sweet notes form the olfactory ground of the construction, which is offset by a synthetic sandalwood and Mysore oil blend. At first the impression is that there's too much sandal, the obviously synthetic note dominates the other more natural smelling materials; but it plays a crucial role in defining the character of the perfume, which it does in several ways. The Polysantol :

1) boosts the Mysore by giving power and edge to the accord,
2) blocks the gourmand tendency of the sweet notes,
3) bouys up a rather flabby oriental profile by linking up with other lighter notes, and it
4) announces that this is not just Shalimar in a Saree.

A stable perfume structure often requires three chords working together like the base of a triangle. In Samsara, along with the sweets and the sandal, the third corner is staked out by a mild rose - jasmin floralesque. This tackles the jagged peak of sandalwood that rises from the pale sugary plain by deploying a large dose of peach C14. It also sustains the excellent bergamot found in the head, and introduces dark spicy tones of opoponax. The aim of the heart accord is to modify the extremes of synthetic sandal and the surdose of sweets to bring them into harmony. Not an easy task. Samsara is nothing if not typical of its time, with an eighties loudness and intensity that verges on the brash, or even at times vulgar.

Benjoin has an odour suppressing quality, and when a formula such as this vanillic variation of the oriental is based on a large dose of it, the superstructure must be powerful enough to overcome this technical problem. Consequently, the initial stages of Samsara's development are a struggle between vibrant high yield accords and the introverted Benjoin. This conflict is, I believe, the reason for the at times strident character of the juice.

A lot of settling is required for this three chord stand off to find its stasis and it takes a couple of hours for the profile to reach maturity; but when it does, it becomes a pale, well constructed peachy, sweet milky, bitter rose, sandalwood spicy oriental, all resting on a powdery vanillic base of Benjoin and labdanum.

Samsara is a perfume of challenges; the challenge of how to re-present a new Oriental relating to what was happening in the fashion world of Bombay. The challenge of using a vanillic base for an oriental with the associated technical problems of using Benjoin. Not least the olfactory challenge of trying to wear this, at times, difficult perfume. And finally, the complex in-house challenges posed by this pretender to Shalimar's crown.

This 1995 vintage juice under review here draws on the traditional Indian forms of sweet making, sandalwood and Attar of rose, to which it adds Western synthetics, French savoir faire and a touch of Guerlainade to create a renewed Oriental.

Jazzy76Jazzy76 3 years ago
Samsara is the cycle of life and this scent is like a red silk scarf caressing you like a warm indian breeze.
Simply heavenly.

by Annkom
by Arlufkin
by Arlufkin

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Shalimar Millésime Vanilla Planifolia by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain