Santal Royal 2014Eau de Parfum

Santal Royal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain
Santal Royal (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and men and was released in 2014. The scent is woody-oriental. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Thierry Wasser

Top Notes Top NotesNeroli, Jasmine
Heart Notes Heart NotesPeach, Rose, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Leather, Amber, Oud, Musk

Submitted by Michael, last update on 15.01.2021.

DemonHeadDemonHead 6 years ago

„Bending to the Middle Eastern Market”

This year Guerlain introduce a new scent intended for the Middle Eastern market; Santal Royal. With exclusivity limited to the new Salon de Parfums...
K1K1 5 years ago

„"The treasure of east" is not a material of perfumery, it's introversion...”

Here we have a doomed perfume by every single reviewer and critic. I criticize the responsible...
Royal without being aloof
When extensively rummaging and testing in my favorite perfumery in Halle / S. came in a coffee break, yes that's part of the service there, the suggestion I should test times Santal Royal, which could fit for me.
The test strip was sprayed, I was by the coffee again "reset" so fresh to the work.

I must say I liked it right away. Rose, jasmine and some peach, not intrusive, but a mix that pleases, especially me. So immediately a spray on the skin because the test strip is nice and good but that's not the place of use and natural habitat of a perfume. There the same result and after about 30min the scent then softens and sandalwood and oud come to the fore, sittet, oriental light. Is all good, but what rounds off the fragrance is in small form the leather and musk but above all the cinnamon. I love the smell of cinnamon anyway but here he makes for me the dot on the i.
The harmony that Santal Royal radiates makes this fragrance so good for me and it gets better and better with time on the skin.

Now for the bare facts. The shelf life is 8h+. The projection is also very good.

Now I also remember the words of my "favorite saleswoman" in the perfumery, "I know what they are looking for before they know it themselves and I also know that Santal Royal is one of the fragrances they take today." And she was right, at least on this day
Smoky Rose
Scents are always something personal for me. They take you on a journey, awaken memories or remind you of places where you have been.
Santal Royal reminds me of Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
A balance act of rose and oud.
For many, oud is too heavy; for others, rose is too cloying. The quality of both ingredients in Santal Royal is unbeatable for me. Both perceive your role and live harmoniously with each other.
The fragrance is for me the absolute epitome of luxury and could not be worn often enough. Therefore, he finds place in my top 3!
The ratio of price and performance is unsurpassed!
Guerlain for me you have shown here your best performance, thank you!!!
Only deduction would be the sillage, because that could already be a little better. For it, he keeps long and you can sometimes just not have everything.
All those who stand on smoky and high-quality fragrances: please try!
La Rosa enflorese
They are said to be from out of this world. They say that they are from the cosmos - not only because they sound galactic but because they are so different and unknown and unrecognized.

In "La Rosa enflorese", the old Spanish song of the rose and love, one understands why the songs of Bulgarian women's choirs still enchant people today. In the high pitches, when mortal voices struggle for strength, the choir balls up and unfolds a power that has a magical effect. Is it the rose that the song is about? Or is it the love that tugs at the heartstrings? What is the origin, what makes the singers cast their spell over us? The voices hurry in unison - the song seems almost hypnotic
The fragrance of "Santal Royal" is a declaration of love to the rose. Not to the Damascena, but to that which is called "the oil rose, the trendafil" in the rose valley south of the Balkans. The rose,
which is picked by hand early in the morning while the dew is still on the flowers. The leather and oud are included in this remarkable composition to keep the Trendafil high - for a rose festival of the senses.

"La roza enflorese

in the month of May.
And my heart overflows,
it suffers from love"

DalilaB
Too much of a good thing ?
I have to be honest, I did not like this perfume the first time I tried it. I was not used to oriental perfumes and I thought they were loud and I preferred more subtle scents. After smelling it several times on a friend, I liked it enough to get myself a bottle. With this kind of perfume, patience is required to fully appreciate it. I spritzed it and waited. It was creamy, the sandalwood was sweet almost vanilla to my nose. The rose is barely there and I don’t really pick up jasmine or neroli very much. It’s centred around sandalwood and come across as monotonous after sometimes. For example, I was stuck on a plane with a passenger who wore too much santal royal and I couldn’t smell anything else for 5 hours and half. So the sillage is good, and so is the projection and it completely drowned my own fragrance. I had to sniff my wrists periodically to remember what I was wearing.
Syrian Beauty
This is my very first comment, so I ask for a little indulgence :)

There's something magical about that smell. When I look at the scents I immediately think of a heavy typical arabic scent (Oud, leather), as you are used to from Tom Ford (No Front ;) )
However, I find this fragrance so fine and "delicious"... I think it is the rose that makes the fragrance so magical and special. I honestly can't smell the oud and leather. But the fragrance needs time to fully develop its floral oriental note. I usually wear it below 20 degrees and I don't know what to wear. An absolute everyday fragrance for me and already my 3rd bottle This fragrance is ideal as an "introduction" to the oriental world, as it is not so strongly oud.
Salva
Oriental Prince! Or is it king?
Hello friends,

the longer I am here in this great community, the more I realize how much I enjoy it here And not only to experience samples and bottlings, but especially to review tested and worn fragrances...
[...]

After I wore the usual synthetic classics like Invictus or Jopp Homme at the very beginning of my "career", I too, or rather my nose, developed and always tried and smelled different directions. After a while I came to the conclusion that I really like oriental fragrances; not to say that this direction is probably my favourite. So among others, I inevitably came across the Santal Royal by Guerlain...
[...]

"Santal Royal, fine and interesting name. Royal/Prince Santal? "Hmm, read something about that," I said to myself. As a result, I did some research and looked at the pyramid of fragrances, read some reviews here and researched other forums and sites. I also researched the term Santal. An indigenous people in the region around the south of Asia, native to India, Nepal and Bangladesh. "Hmm, mega interesting! Was not known to me. Could this people have anything to do with the origin of sandalwood?", I asked myself and continued my research. And yes, I was taught in seconds and learned that this wood, which is used so often as a fragrance, is actually found in India
Well, I liked the reviews and fragrances and I was so convinced that I actually dared to make a blind purchase at this price, which is quite steep for a designer... Yes, the subject of blind buying is always discussed here and there are certainly quite a few who, especially with flacons that start at the three-digit range and have no upper limits, don't do this out of principle (which I can fully understand and usually approve of!). But I was so convinced of the fragrance composition and my gut feeling that I had no doubt that I would not like it at all.
[...]

So I ordered the bottle about a month ago and the package arrived home in one week as usual. I opened it and had a bottle in my hands, which my eyes had never seen before in this form... "Very nice, really has something royal", I said to myself. I opened the lid and sprayed both my wrists in the usual manner... "Wow, that's an awesome smell! A bull's eye!" I was amazed at the opening. So the first impression was outstanding!
[...]

That same evening, I was invited to a birthday party of a former university fellow student (with whom I am a good friend) and of course, I seized the opportunity and sprayed myself with 5-6 sprays with the Santal Royal. Chic in jacket and shirt made me then on the way.
[...]
Once there, the birthday child greeted me with a warm hug and a left-right kiss... "Well, is this an Oriental? Suits you very well!" (It must be noted that she herself has been at home in the perfume world for much longer and is in possession of many scents).
The celebration went very well and I went home again sometime.
[...]

Woke up in the morning I could still perceive the scent a little bit on me. "Wonderful, it lasts a long time!" I said to myself, still lying in bed...
So the durability is really brutal on my skin. Very good 8-9 h he is present and the sillage must be very strong too, because the girlfriend noticed a few times at the party that she could perceive the scent very well from a few meters away.

Neroli and jasmine blossom are the two notes that make the fragrance smell so wonderfully fresh green and floral at first, but with a certain tart touch. After a short time, I begin to perceive rose (I've been a big fan of rose fragrances ever since I discovered the Cartier Déclaration d'un Soir EDT). It is surrounded by a dry peach, which I already know from the Floriental of the CDG's, and a minimally sweet note of cinnamon. The base is dominated by oud, which is said to have an aphrodisiac effect... And yes, for me the fragrance as a whole is incredibly sensual, aromatic and sexy! But also the musk and last but not least the sandalwood contribute to this, because they provide the fine-woody and velvety-warm base [...]

Conclusion:
As mentioned above, I had bought this fragrance without having tested it before. And it was a super lucky choice! It has an incredibly good scent quality as I think and is worth every cent! In the last few weeks I have worn it several times in the evening to go out and I find it the most suitable for such occasions. During the day I would wear it as well, but not in too warm or hot temperatures. Otherwise it is wearable all year round So if you are looking for a wonderful, wooden oriental fragrance in very high designer quality, mMn will make a very good catch with this one.
[...]

I hope you have taken something from the commentary and thank you as always to everyone for reading it.

VG
Volker1964
Guerlain and Oriental, sounds exciting .
I really like Guerlain fragrances. I am also not averse to oriental scents. Can Guerlain also speak oriental ? Let's see, here we go Top note
Quite successful. Slightly sweet floral notes, very full-bodied and pleasantly present.
The oriental touch is, not too strong, skillfully incorporated.
Heart note
Sweetness of a ripe peach, noble roses, rounded off with a pinch of cinnamon. Very balanced and well presented. A little wood makes itself felt. Something elegant and valuable.
Base
Oud steps forward, fine leather and musk join in. Sandalwood I perceive, but quite discreetly. Leather and oud characterize the base. The appearance becomes more discreet.
Conclusion
Guerlain has succeeded very well in making an oriental fragrance pleasant and presentable for western noses. It is very noble, elegant and very well made. If the classic oriental fragrances are too heavy, strong or too special for you, you can test this fragrance mMn times. I like to wear it on weekends in my spare time. With me it lasts 6-8 hours

Multidimensional and perfectly blended
A masterpiece by Thierry Wasser that opens semi sweet thanks to the amber, peach and cinnamon that keeps evolving to an amazing sandalwood scent mixed with some florals and end up in an amber-y base mixed with top notch oud, leather and rose. This is one of the most complex fragrances that I have as it goes through a lot of phases during its life. Fruity, woody, sweet, leathery...I couldn't say this one is three dimensional. I prefer to say that this one is multi dimensional as each note and accord can be clearly perceived and there are around 10 different phases/stages in its life. Even though I don't distinguish between seasons or moments to wear a fragrance I've experienced that this one works better in the night time and when the temperature cools down. Currently one of my favorite scents amongst my collection.

Synthetic peachy Egoiste
Everything in this line seems very pretentious. I'm not a fan, to be honest. I love Guerlain but this line is very synthetic in a bad way. I liked Ambre Eternel (discontinued) and this one is not that bad but the others are very forgettable.
This is an opulent Rose-cinnamon-woody fragrance. Could be named Canelle Royal or Rose Royal but not Santal Royal. The sandalwood is minimal and very synthetic. It opens with freshness and sweetness, right away. A tiny bit of neroli in a Cinnamon-Rose bomb. As it starts to drydown, a strong Peach note appears too and shines especially in the mid, giving more sweetness and some femininity. The Oud is very soft and syntethic (again) and only plays in the background, just giving some depth to the fragrance.

Overall, gives me a synthetic Egoiste vibe but more oriental and fruity and not so good, of course.

Excellent performance though.

EDIT: I reach for this many times in this Fall and although I prefer Amber Eternel, this is good. I give one more star to my rating for the overall experience.
3/5
Asasello
A comment that is actually superfluous, but nevertheless
i want to say a few words about this already much described fragrance - yes, probably it is already "written out", because it says everything essential - even if it is only to become clear to myself why this fragrance takes me. But wait! "Take" may not be the appropriate term, because it promises too much, perhaps I should leave it at the word "please", because that seems to me to come closer to my relationship with Santal Royal.

What is this?! I had already written off rose scents, because the rose often becomes too dominant for me and after a while usually also too annoying; also some noble rose-ud combinations could not really convince me, but I like oud (much to my wife's chagrin). But after the comment of a perfumistos I admired very much, I wanted to give this fragrance a chance and I must say that I can win Santal Royal something, with increasing time more and more.

In fact, this is a perfume that I like to give the time it takes to unfold in all its beauty. It is like a young wine, which one should not drink at all yet, one did not want to be considered in wine connoisseur circles as a "child murderer". If you leave it open long enough, however, it will undergo a development in a few hours, sometimes even in days, which it would otherwise only undergo in the closed bottle in the course of one to two years, occasionally even three or even more years. But I digress...

Santal Royal does not need days to unfold, but its true quality is revealed after hours (or should it be called first?), when tamed oud and sandalwood are clearly perceptible. Clear means here, however, in a very pleasant way. I didn't notice anything of sandalwood for a long time. An inkling of Oud, on the other hand, was already there after a short time, until it became a certainty with increasing time. Therefore, the fragrance changes without losing its heart, the rose, of course. But that's exactly what amazes me, who doesn't like Rose that much. In my opinion, the rose is present from beginning to end, very clearly, but at the same time restrained enough not to be intrusive. It gives the fragrance composition a structure, in the case of wine one would probably speak of the tannin framework. Although I am far from being converted as far as the rose is concerned, this fragrance has a lot more to offer, because the rose is accompanied by some other satellites, of which I can clearly identify the two already mentioned, but also others, without being able to identify them exactly. Towards the end I mean to recognize echoes of other scents I know. Oud Royal by Creed comes to mind, while Santal Royal seems more complex. TF's Oud Wood also knocks on the door. It should be this warm tamed oud that reminds of these two cousins of Santal Royal.

What do I want to say with all these words?! I'm afraid I can't quite... To get to the point: Santal Royal, as disappointed as some of you may be when you measure it against older Guerlain sizes, I want to take up a lance for him from the point of view of modern times. For me, it is not a scent that loudly expresses its presence, nor is it a scent that immediately takes me for itself, but that with increasing time turns out to be a composition in its very own sense and shows that its creator masters his craft
Perhaps another summarizing sentence: I am fascinated to a certain extent, without being enthusiastic at the same time, but feel confirmed in the fact that my new hobby, my discovered passion for scents, is a quite excellent affair. In this sense, this commentary is merely a plea for the art of scent and the granting of time.

TorkeTorke 4 months ago
A dirty, sweet rose/oud combination. No signs of Sandalwood.

A very sensual and intoxicating scent. Amazing performance and sillage.
TRehfTRehf 5 months ago
Rose-Oud fragrance that stands out. Truly royal appeal. Very complex and refined. Unisex, but 25+. Autumn till spring. Has a sensual edge.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
Nice oud-rose combo, similar to Montale's Dark Aoud in my opinion. It's not really an unique scent and misleads sandalwood fans.
ItchynoseItchynose 2 years ago
The rose is more masculine than usual; oud more feminine than usual; sandalwood nowhere to be found. Smooth leather in the background. Nice.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 2 years ago
A Woody -oriental unisex masterpiece made gentler by the rose touch giving a touch of freshness. A SacredSacred perfume with a wonderful sillage

by DemonHead
by Barbberry
by Taamii
by Taamii

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain Derby (1985) (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain