Shalimar 1986 Eau de Parfum

Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain
Top 51 in Women's Perfume
Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 1986. The scent is oriental-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBlossomsBlossoms
BergamotBergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesIrisIris
JasmineJasmine
RoseRose
Base Notes Base NotesVanillaVanilla
Balsamic notesBalsamic notes
Tonka beanTonka bean

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 25.10.2021.

The Persian word Shalimar means "The purest of all human pleasures" It is the name of an Indian garden which was extended by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan for his beloved main wife Mumtaz Mahal. After her death he erected the famous Taj Mahal mausoleum which today symbolizes the dazzling grandeur of the orient. Thus, the name Shalimar invokes love, beauty and a perception of the orient. Shalimar is regarded as an iconic oriental fragrance. According to the often told - but not very reliable - legend Jacques Guerlain accidentially added too much vanillin when blending a batch of Jicky. It smelled unexpectedly good.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain, which differs in concentration.

GirlofNow
My new start fragrance:) Thanks Grandpa!
Shalimar I associate with the Christmas season, a warm / loving hug and the feeling to be safe:))
Why is that... Well last year I got to know this beauty:D
Since then, this fragrance has a very important but also precious place in my heart, because I got Shalimar last year from my grandfather as a gift and the 3.days before Weihanchten.
We have watched on this day together films (My grandfather loves good but also especially humor full films;)) )
Also we listened to the newest as well as some older Monsta X songs, in short I LOVE, LOVE this boygroup and he finds the music of Monsta X also (Luckily) very good as well as well made;DD
I could rave about this group forever, but it's about Shalimar and not Monsta X:D
Deliciously we also cooked together.
After watching movies, eating and listening to music, my grandfather suddenly became very serious and had tears in his eyes, which admittedly made me very insecure because my grandfather is a very emotional person but since we laughed together all day it was a bit of a shock to me when I saw tears in his eyes.
I asked him carefully if everything was okay, he said he was glad that I had survived all the operations well...
I knew he was always worried about me but not that it made him so emotional.
I hugged him and tried to hold back the tears because I didn't want him to cry anymore.... (I don't like it at all, now not in bad senses to see others crying as I then also get very emotional especially I can stand it less to see my grandfather or my mother crying.)
We calmed down and I said to him that there are worse situations or even interventions and I have come to terms with it and am satisfied that it gets better:))
Then he said he wanted to give me a certain gift a little longer but was not sure if I would tolerate it because of the medication To be honest I would never have thought that it is a perfume but just as little I was aware of what sweetheart he meant.
I could tolerate after the operations by the strong painkillers almost a year no strong fragrances but thank God this lasted only until then, until I have discontinued the drugs When my grandfather gave the box into my hands I was speechless! And again I had tears in the eyes and did not want to believe it because it was really an unexpected surprise and even before Christmas!
I pressed my grandfather very hard and thanked me 100 times with him:))
He said he was not sure if I would like it because, I have never worn such a fragrance in this direction I was blissfully happy about this treasure and could not have imagined a more beautiful!:))
I am very, very well in the clear that such fragrances or better gifts are not self-evident but my grandfather said it was a gift or better said a fragrance that should always remind me that I can make with the fragrance a new start in a life which hopefully in the future no more operations needed!:))
And that is exactly why this fragrance has become so valuable but also important to me because it is my new start fragrance!:))
I try to describe Shalimar as accurately as possible, hopefully I do not disappoint the big Shalimar fans among you;)
The fragrance...
Is in any case very, very, very intense!
If you like it intense but not extreme (so I mean overdosed) then please do not wear more than 2.Sprüher on otherwise it can lead very quickly to headaches!
I speak from experience! Shalimar is from the head to the heart note very balsamic and smoky with a slight citrus impact Rose I smell now personally not out but jasmine gives the whole this wild, sensual and feminine;))
The vanilla of Guerlain is not of this world!
Whether now with Mon Guerlain (intense), La petite robe noir or even now with Shalimar it is a crowning glory in itself!
Creamy, dense, full-bodied, noble and what can I say indescribably beautiful!
The vanilla I smell out with Shalimar is not only creamy but also very spicy and aromatic.
It reminds me very much of a vanilla pastry with citrus filling and over it is sprinkled neat cinnamon.
Tonka bean gives the fragrance a light pleasant powdery warm note that invites you to cuddle.:)
I personally appreciate this fragrance very much it is my new start but also motivation fragrance!

Because I got it from the most important person because I have in my life next to my mother!:)) Thank you grandpa!:))
Appreciate your loved ones especially your grandparents and parents!
Just fine...!
Just imagine, there is a place you know where, there they give you a smile and so.
Just good, at Mc Donalds it's just good... especially with grandma!

If you've got pictures in front of you now, you're smiling a little, at least silently to yourself, aren't you?
And who now thinks "is she crazy?"
Yes, is first of all right and is but, probably, simply also still too young.

Sleeping at grandma's on Friday nights.
Saturday morning with her into town.
To the boring big market, with way too many people.
Sometimes, actually always - but we tell no one, it went afterwards still to Karstadt in the toy department...
hach, mermaid Barbie with the turquoise fin skirt...

And then just Mc Donalds and its junior cone, which usually closed things out.

Why am I telling you this?
Well, either I sit today in the marketing department of the golden M's or I have spilled at that time, the perfume sample slipped to me by the saleswoman, in the sweet little bottle, of which grandma has re-bought the big bottle, on the brown plastic tray lined with paper advertising.

The fries have never been so inedible, because I actually gave them another quick taste.

And today, my goodness, actually over 30 years later, I'm that girl for a second every time I run into a woman wearing Shalimar.
Or when I walk past a toy department and sometimes still feel drawn to all the brightly colored packaging.
And when looking at the bronze fish embedded in the ground, in the city centre.

At the one bench by the water, our "one more ice cream" bench I no longer like to sit on but always stop short, put my hand on the old wood and look once into the distance.

And actually at that one fast food restaurant too. Always.
Well, so simple it is then just sometimes, if one can allow it then and also likes.

The perfume, the scent is great.
I really like its power!
But I couldn't wear it, because it already belongs to someone else.

And, I miss you grandma.

Rosie88
Shalimar then and now....
I am just very happy to be able to make a comparison of the Shalimar today and "back then"...
By "back then" I mean a version that was on the market in about 1995.

-What has changed in this time?

-Is Shalimar still like back then?
-Is it worthwhile to look for a vintage flacon and spend his hard-earned money for it?

I would like to let you participate in my test and the resulting sensations. Maybe someone among us fragrance crazy so interested in it like me ;-) hahaha

Otherwise considers my Kommi gladly as "further mustard to a classic" ;-)

I have both versions aufgesprüft - one left and one right - so I can effectively and directly compare what's going on:

Shalimar on the left (today's version) starts with a fresh tangy bergamot.
The bergamot is very intense, demanding and engaging....

In Shalimar right (vintage), the bergamot is also fresh-tangy, but on me - accompanied by a tickling spiciness - that I can't find in today's version like that...

In today's version (left) the fresh bergamot warps a little faster than in the vintage version (right) I find. For this I think to recognize that with the today's version (left) faster something flowery comes in addition and displaces the bergamot somewhat...

In the vintage version (right), I don't find such a clear florality after the opening, but rather a direct transition into the wonderfully resinous-balsamic "main act"....
(there comes briefly an association of cherries - for whatever reason (?) - but that quickly disappears again)...

Slowly, the great resinous-balsamic side of Shalimar comes out in today's version (left), too, which I love so much.... wonderful, intense, lascivious, hypnotic.... Fantastic!

So both versions stay for a decent while, although I personally find that the balsamic-resinous thing I love so much comes across much stronger and more intense in the vintage version (right) than in the contemporary version (left).
In today's version (left), the deliciously balsamic resinous is somewhat ensnared by a gentle florality - which in and of itself is not to devalue - but hald simply different, as in the vintage version (right).

I think here it's just a matter of taste, whether you prefer more & more intense balsamic resinous, or you like it better when something floral still resonates...

I really like both versions, although the vintage version (on the right) gives me a bit more heart palpitations because of the more intense balsamic-resinous "main act"....

For me, then, neither version changes too much.... both remain wonderfully-delicious and absolutely unsweet balsamic-smooth.... to snuggle in....

Hold do they at me both pretty identically long, which I find really great :-)

Now to my questions, which I had asked at the beginning:
-What has changed in this time?
I would argue that, for example, purely because of the regulations of IFRA today, many fragrances no longer smell the same as they used to. Possibly formerly used fragrances are now no longer allowed, no longer available or are perhaps now synthetically replicated...?
This is however a topic for itself and was already discussed in numerous entries in the forum, with which I would not like to go into it here further.
What I would like to say, however, is that even if Shalimar has changed over time - the original DNA is definitely still there and is in no way inferior to the vintage version.
The new version is for me a little "calmer", less wild and more floral, than the vintage version.
Radiance and durability they both have - there is nothing lost in my opinion...

-Is Shalimar still like back then?
This question has also cleared up for me immediately.
DNA is there. But there are differences in any case...

-Is it worth it to look for a vintage flacon and spend his hard-earned money for it?
Well, that is then probably very dependent on the taste of the person....
If I would find a vintage version at a "pleasant" price, I would probably buy it, yes.... But then I wouldn't necessarily want to spend too high a price on the vintage version either...
Everyone as he likes, as the saying goes :-)

I hope that I could give the one or the other - who is interested in the topic - a good insight into my feeling :-)

On other sensations I would be very curious :-)
the "Taj Mahal" of fragrances
According to the legend of the House of Guerlain, Jacques Guerlain was fascinated by the exotic life that swept into Europe just after the turn of the 20th century.
And so, of course, was the touching love story between Mumtaz Mahal and the Emperor Shah Djahan in the gardens of Shalimar in Kashmir.
After his great successes of "Après l'ondée", "L'Heure bleu", "Mitsouko" and "Vol de Nuit", he now ventured a new step in 1925: he worked with ethylvanillin.
"To see what would happen" - it is reported, he added to this a good dose of "Jicky" extract.
Not quite satisfied, he removed the lavender contained here, but increased the bergamot influence instead.
He was completely engrossed in the love story of the Shah and his beautiful wife, for whom the mausoleum "Taj Mahal" was built and thus an unforgettable monument to love was set.
Through his fascination with it, "Shalimar" achieves its balance and beauty in the fragrance.
So much for the story told at Guerlain.

I got to know and love "Shalimar" in 1991. At that time, I was particularly captivated by its powdery warmth, which makes you think of mohair and cashmere and is always very welcome to me by my "fish blood", which makes me shiver frequently.
Again, this scent sensation is due to the industrious iris and its powdery accords.
As is often the case, however, it must also pay tribute to the fresh initial note of hesperides, as mentioned especially the bergamots, in this love gift.
Finally, everything must also have its order in the fragrance world.
This generously powdery iris is also accompanied here by the classic team of femininity: the white fragrance-intensive floral splendor of jasmine, united with the romance of the rose.
This is a bow from most perfumers to us women: We love them for it!
The so famous "Guerlain" vanilla gets another special kick from Opoponax; this gives its slightly resinous spiciness.
Because of course a little eroticism may not be missing in this fragrant declaration of love.
What would love be without that certain crackle?

In addition to its dreamlike fragrance fullness "Shalimar" enchants with its long shelf life. As if it had conquered every pore of the skin for itself!
This powdery warmth envelops and accompanies, once it has taken possession of the wearer:
"You are an enchanting woman!" this substantial fragrance lover seems to say, "and that's why I won't be leaving you anytime soon!"

"Shalimar" - a declaration of love of a very special kind by Jacques Guerlain to women.
He also set with it a monument - a monument to women and their fragrances!
In 1925, when he created his original fragrance, he could not yet know that his grandson Jean-Paul would also one day create a special fragrance for the beloved woman, his own wife: "Chânt d'Aromes"!
But that belongs here only in passing and is a whole other story.
Another story, of course, dedicated to love and fragrance.

Since "Shalimar" as Eau de Parfum moved in with me at that time, it accompanies me in the most different concentrations and various Flaconformen. Whereby the classic "wing flacon" is my favorite.
Although not worn daily, but still always present, it never fails to show me his steadfast love.

I cannot build a "Taj Mahal" as a token of love to this fragrance beauty.
Instead, with my 600th comment, I am setting a monument to her in words.
That this happens just on the first day of my fifth year in this community is a coincidence!
But don't coincidences define our lives?

Back in 1991, when I was looking for a special fragrance for a special weekend, I found what I called an "ever lasting love"!
An enduring silent love that takes note of my numerous flings over the years - some with much younger and (admittedly also) more exciting fragrance beings - with an understanding smile and is always there for me.
"Shalimar" - even without a monument a great love affair!
Please take my words instead of flowers!
The classic par excellence
A typical 80s fragrance for the big appearance (today on the couch).
Tart freshness at the beginning, probably from the bergamot. Then comes a sea of powdery white flowers and in the base smoky vanilla and tonka. Overall, very spicy and oriental. A fragrance that gives warmth and you feel safe. Sillage is great. A classic simply.
The durability is excellent, also stays forever in the clothes.
For very young women I find him not so suitable, but ultimately everyone should wear what he / she likes
Janessa
Young women and Shalimar?
Well, at 27, am I even young anymore? That remains to be seen.
One rainy autumn day I strolled through one of Munich's shopping malls. To my left, a branch of the big D suddenly appeared. I just kept walking.
No, of course I didn't. Rarely can I just stroll by.
"Oh, today I treat myself to a new perfume." With the thought I entered the store and as always hangs in the air a collection of all kinds of fragrances. Phew.
Looking around, I catch the eye of an aged saleswoman. Spontaneously, I let myself be advised by her, although I usually prefer to look around myself. A vanilla fragrance it should be today. When I wave off "Olympea" and the like, she reaches into the shelf and shows me a beautiful, almost baroque-looking bottle. Quite old-fashioned. She tells me it's one of the most important and popular fragrances in perfume history.
Alright, she sprays it on my wrist. I detect a heavy rubbery note, to me it smells like car tires spinning, smoke forming, just before the revs are simultaneously high and low enough to get grip. The sports car drivers among you know what I'm talking about.
Smelling the wrist, I wrinkled my nose and looked skeptically at the saleswoman. She just smiled and sent me out of the store. I should go for a walk for half an hour. If I then like the scent, I should be happy to come back.

In fact, it takes more than 20 minutes until I no longer smell car tires, but a warm, soft and high-quality vanilla spreads. Flashed by this scent progression, I actually return to the nice lady and buy the fragrance.

Shalimar still contains mostly natural ingredients, which makes it very interesting.

Only small disturbing factor, but this is due to the natural raw materials: to the vanilla note joins after about 5-6 hours a slightly musty, for me not assignable note. I can imagine that this is why some people classify it as a "granny scent", because many people today no longer know natural fragrances, but associate them with times long past. By the way, I'm sure that if some people didn't know how long a fragrance has been around, they certainly wouldn't downgrade it as "stale" and the like. But about "taste" can not be argued as is well known and that is also good so.

Otherwise, a great fragrance, which is completely justified even today one of the best-selling fragrances worldwide
EdP after reformulation
I had tested a sample EdP 2010. At the time I thought the fragrance is more for a lady, I'm too young for it. Now the time seemed ripe to me. I did some research on different versions. I usually like EdT versions better as I like citrus scents. They come out well on my skin too. With Shalimar, I went for the "stronger tobacco". However, my olfactory memory tells me : "there was something else..."
10 years ago, I was not so far that I consciously followed the pyramid progression, but I definitely remember the top note fresher. For me, the scent starts smoky leathery, then is just leathery for a while, and only later becomes more complex and sweet. That's when my untrained nose can't tell the individual notes apart. The beginning is definitely very oriental. Something resinous-leathery-smoky-aromatic. I can't detect citrusy fresh notes at any point. Is this different with EdT? Heard that EdT lost a lot of the sparkle after reformulation, since natural bergamot is missing. Is that in the EdP also so?
I have to get used to the admittedly very nice and refined sweetness first. Super warm winter scent, perfect for the season! Lets the imagination already play and think of the incense rituals in the Orient. But very classy, no incense sticks. Fitting to the story behind it.
5.5
The Lady of the Past
Well, I think this perfume was a fantastic fragrance at that time and certainly smelled completely different than now. At that time such a perfume was very expensive and not everyone could buy a stunning fragrance. Only the older ladies who saved a chunk of money and bought a wonderful fragrance. I think that's why so many associated this fragrance with an older lady or even a grandma. Yes, this scent reminds me a lot of an older lady from the 80s too. I even found the scent to be very pungent on the nose and and personally would not wear it myself
Shalimar and the duality
It's difficult to write something about perfumes about which so much has already been said without perhaps repeating others, and yet today is one of those days when I can't get Shalimar out of my mind. I sprayed the little sample on my wrist and neck and was, as always, floored by this masterful composition. There formed words that just have to get out.

My personality is difficult. "Difficult" not in a negative context, but rather it's a word that mainstream society finds for people like me. A man who doesn't care much for images of masculinity. I wear second hand leather jacket and nail polish, beard and highlighter, black and pink. I like to spray a spritz more than I'm given, sometimes I don't wear perfume at all, wear scents regardless of gender or season, and even though I can be a sweetheart, I can get uncomfortable just as easily. This indentitarian independence and duality has been with me for as long as I can remember, and Shalimar is for me the perfume that (so far) best captures and represents it as a scent.

It's marketed for ladies. Sure, the composition actually has quite classic floral sweet feminine notes. But then there's this bergamot note and opoponax note that, when combined, can wrap everything in a slightly tart, citrusy incense smoke and I often catch myself wondering, is this really feminine? Is this masculine? It's both and also kind of neither, it's just unique as we humans are too, no matter how many pigeonholes we find for ourselves.

If I wear this scent, I feel confident, sexy, almost divine, and I suppose I wear that feeling out at least as well. But it could just be the sillage, which can easily fill a room if you want.

Shalimar, along with Mon Guerlain, was the perfume that really introduced me to Guerlain. I really appreciate that throughout all this time, the various perfumers have always managed to capture real people, feelings and realities in a perfume. This is an art that I don't think is all that common and that makes wearing these perfumes special time and time again.
Guerlinchen
Without words and yet described so much....
My first comment here - and then immediately about a queen...can that go well?!
Anyway - who,if not this beauty has earned my first words here...So (clears throat) :

I had tried this fragrance decades ago - and was bitterly disappointed.Whether by me or the perfume I could not even say...I had so looked forward to this icon and then I stood there and could not understand him, not really grasp...Wait, that's been so long in the perfume world and so popular and a legend - why do I find him so fierce and so not beautiful?!Am I too young for it?! Anyway, sad and disappointed I turned away from him. Many years later I had him sprayed on a strip for me once again (I couldn't forget him despite everything?!), with similar feelings as before I carelessly put the strip down on the telephone table at home.
That was it with us...what a pity.
Then came the next morning - and what was that scent in my hallway??! As if possessed, I ran around sniffing everywhere. Until I got near the test strip: WHAT, this beguiling scent emanating from this tiny scrap of paper? I smelled it in disbelief and what came next was magic - I just can't describe it any other way.The most beautiful,perfect,heartwarming vanilla I had ever smelled! I was gobsmacked,even had to sit down - who cares about the morning coffee or the terse breakfast?! Gone and finally understanding, I smiled to myself.That's why so many love it! I was so glad I hadn't disposed of the strip or I would never have understood what this essence of warmth,spice and pure femininity was all about. Shalimar opened my already big perfume heart even more. With this enchanting beauty, my "perfume mania" really got started - these scent molecules have clawed their way into my synapses and immortalized themselves there forever - and that's a good thing! From then on, I have tried soooo many fragrances but a vanilla like this I have never found again (outside the "art store" Guerlain of course)...

Yes this is my back story to Shalimar,more writes it with each new spray on my skin. It needed this text, less would not have been appropriate,please do not take it against me...

The fragrance: if I continue writing now, I repeat many of the previous speakers or even the fragrance pyramid...honestly, I feel Shalimar is so complex that I do not even want to presume to describe it correctly for everyone. It is as unique as a work of art and everyone sees it with their own eyes in their own way. Honestly - try him out and give him the time to charm you...for me it was worth it.

The Sillage: is stunning, please easily dose - I find him almost the most beautiful, if he has sprayed before me someone in the room or I smell him days later on my clothes -so we come to
Durability: bombastic with me, especially on the clothes.

Flacon: a work of art in itself - incredibly beautiful and noble ( I think my heart actually beats a little faster when I see it...).

The price: actually almost no matter...but he is really at good prices to purchase if you look for it.

Remains for me only to say - thank you for your attention and have fun testing ;-)

Basilisk2803Basilisk2803 2 months ago
I hope to be old or grown-up enough to understand and love this one. Obviously still too young. Waiting, waiting, waiting...
KuraiKurai 3 months ago
A museum piece? Maybe but when worn properly and on the right occasion, guaranteed to make a legendary appearance.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 8 months ago
The opening is citrusy, floral, slightly sweet and powdery. The drydown is balsamic with a beautiful vanilla and a touch of smoke.
GreMuserGreMuser 9 months ago
3.5
I understand the importance of this fragrance, but to my taste it must remain in a Museum. Totally unwearable nowadays.
FiroozFirooz 2 years ago
Not for every day, or everyone ,and off course not for every taste. But definitely a masterpiece. Has a magical vibe to it
KatjaCakeKatjaCake 2 years ago
Une légende!
AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
Best perfume ever? Why not? The base notes are just to well blended with a perfect combo of Vanilla-Opoponax,-Tonka.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 3 years ago
One of the most relevant scents ever created. A masterpiece and a staple in the industry.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
A divine unisex masterpiece from Guerlain. Ultra feminine in a lady, strong and manly in a man. The alluring vanilla leaves me speechless.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 3 years ago
I am excited trying to write about the scent of my dreams: citrusy at the opening, but after warm and sensual.Strong sillage. A masterpiece

....... Abend am Park ......
by Zora
by Slickadam
by Slickadam
Temperatursturz ;)
by DemonHead
meine nachtischlampe bringt einige flakons schön zum leuchten:-)
by Shalimari
by Entenradio
by Guerlinchen
by Guerlinchen
by Tahnee
links : 7,5ml Extrait / Mitte : 5ml Eau de Parfum Mini / rechts : 50ml Eau de Parfum
by PontNeuf
by EvaK
by Chypienne
by Chypienne
by Chanelle
... meine liebsten Reise-Begleiter ...
by Sweetgrass
by Trollo
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Shalimar Millésime Vanilla Planifolia by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain