Shalimar (1986) Eau de Parfum

Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain

Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 1986. The scent is oriental-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBlossoms, Bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Jasmine, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Iris, Opoponax, Tonka bean

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 20.05.2019

The Persian word Shalimar means "The purest of all human pleasures" It is the name of an Indian garden which was extended by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan for his beloved main wife Mumtaz Mahal. After her death he erected the famous Taj Mahal mausoleum which today symbolizes the dazzling grandeur of the orient. Thus, the name Shalimar invokes love, beauty and a perception of the orient. Shalimar is regarded as an iconic oriental fragrance. According to the often told - but not very reliable - legend Jacques Guerlain accidentially added too much vanillin when blending a batch of Jicky. It smelled unexpectedly good.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

Shalimar (Eau de Parfum)

This is a variant of the perfume Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain, which differs in concentration.

Anti-Brumm as luxury version
So 140 characters are not enough. :-)

Yesterday I tested the Shalimar with my girlfriend. She said, more than 10 years ago this was her favourite scent, now unfortunately somehow not anymore. So she bought herself a brand-new bottle. Since I was recommended here to test this time because of the scent pyramid (because of my signature scent at that time Bogner Woman No.1), and I had sniffed in the perfumery only at the flacon and which was too gross for me, I had yesterday the opportunity.

What can I say?! The headline says it all and the fragrance or pyramid was zero for me at all, as was the above-average durability and sillage. I'm seriously wondering, where? My Dior Addict (2014) smells much longer at me.

With me from front to back bergamot and it reminded me of Autan or Anti-Brumm.
My girlfriend and I laughed at each other's faces because YOU really smell a lot more, and she said she didn't recognize it on my skin. It gets a little sweeter in the aftermath, but this anti-buzz smell stays.

Sorry, this is neither my Bogner, nor a fragrance I would even remotely classify as perfume on my skin.

It's not unpleasant, but it also likes to smell my anti-buzz in summer. D
10.0 8.0 10.0 10.0/10

Jazzy76
There will never be another you
As I wrote about the historical Shalimar edt , this fragrance isn't only a scent, but a lifestyle and a state of mind : feeling " Shalimar to me means feeling good, sexy, beautiful, charming and mainly unique.
Yes sir, this scent is a rare pearl and it's very very difficult to find copies and dupes of it.
After all my searches I realized that there will never be another Shalimar .
But let's smell this wonderful edp version : the Indian trip begins with an almost fizzy note of bergamot , but immediately you are involved by a vibrnat Jasmine cloud , so feminine and intoxicating. But it's the vanilla married to the warm and oriental opoponax which reamains on your skin for hours and hours giving to this scent that unmistakable mysterious but also sweet character. It's the berfect harmony.
Shalimar is really a great love story made perfume : when you find the right one and you feel it yours , you can appreciate and like other scent as well as other men , but there will be only one love in your life.
The sillage and the longevity are extraordinary , it's really a longlasting story. it's perfect in the colder season and by night and mainly in the very special occasion, whenever you want to feel like and Indian princess.
Unmistakable and very precious the recent version of the historical bottle recalling the fountains of the Shalimar gardens which inspired the name and the creation of this absolute masterpiece by Guerlain.
The price for a 90ml size is high, but the quality is the top.
so, dear Shalimar, i want to cite title of a famous jazz standard saying that "THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER YOU"
5.0 5.0 6.0 8.0/10

Walk of shame
Do you know that? You put on a strong, luxuriant scent and you are happy in the morning when you can still perceive it clearly on your skin? The Oragnist still plays the same melody but with a damper ?

I have that impression with Shalimar. What comes towards me reminds me very strongly of a lush full fragrance. The morning after. Yes.

Not unpleasant but somehow settled and weak.
I had to smile a lot because I can fully understand the "unventilated Christmas room" association of the previous speaker.

The remarkable, almost 20-minute top note of bergamot and flowers, which smells like lemon oil to me, blends beautifully into a small iris chord. Then Shalimar scurries very delicately towards his "puffed out vanilla scented candle" end. Moderate Sillage, rather very closely, durability with me maximally 4 hours.

I can't resist the impression that a beautiful old melody, which should have been played with awe-inspiring registration, has given way to a diplomatic flute. I'll wear it anyway. I also love it somehow ... but you like to listen to your favourite music a little louder?
10.0 8.0 8.0 3.0/10

Shock
The other day I really wanted to test Shalimar. A lady at the ATM smelled so good, and on questioning (courage point for me) it turned out to be Shalimar (unfortunately she didn't say which ...). So I'm completely unbiased in the department store and Shalimar EdP applied. I shouldn't have done that. My wrist escaped a painful... well ...smell like in a Christmas room that has been unventilated since noon, when in the evening all the real candles on the Christmas tree are blown out at the same time. Tongue tingling with me. The fragrance remains unchanged for hours. Is that how you do it? After the evening washing up attempt I had to sleep at night still with outstretched arm ... I could not perceive a course of smell altogether.
9.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

SchatzSucher
You don't wear Shalimar, Shalimar wears you!
On warm, spicy, oriental and vanilla wings directly into the scented sky... ...

Shalimar is one of those great fragrances that makes the wearer pause in awe for a moment. The prelude is splendid and opulent, with luxuriant floral splendour, the most tangy citrus fruits and a bitter, smoky and resinous tone, all swinging up to a true intoxication.
This is unbelievably delicious and when the initial awe turns into joy, after a short time more bright and radiant flowers and spices tempt you, accompanied by a wonderful vanilla. A vanilla that is probably the epitome of the much-described guerlinade, which I recognize in so many guerlain scents. This vanilla is seductive, warm, flattering and not exorbitantly sweet.
There is a certain hint of animalism to accompany this and give the whole a certain piquant fine spice, but without slipping into the all too violent. But this breath is clearly perceptible.
A resinous clay provides for this slight abrupt scratchiness. But this was a great success, because I think that in an effective and expressive fragrance even opposing notes should play together, so that the fragrance remains exciting and does not slip into banality.
Shalimar is definitely not a quiet scent, he is present, he is noticeable together with the wearer, he surrounds him like an elaborately worked cape incl. long train.

I like to be carried by Shalimar into the scented sky, the initial awe has turned into great enthusiasm. Meanwhile, I am no longer afraid to access fragrances that have actually been designed for ladies. In the course of time one realizes that this more or less strict classification can be disregarded. Especially with the rather strong and spicy fragrances.
And I'm glad I accessed it.
Shalimar is certainly not easily accessible, but if you give the fragrance some time and get involved with it, you will be richly rewarded. Even with a wonderfully long endurance.
This makes the fragrance very suitable for the cold season (although I have to admit that I have worn Shalimar before in summer). But sparingly dosed, of course...) and for evenings. The grand entrance is guaranteed. Shalimar appears so to speak still before the wearer, because he radiates very well.

One can rightly call Shalimar a classic, which has had a firm place for over 90 years. The term "oriental" is perfectly implemented here. In addition there is the beautiful bottle, which fits very well to this masterpiece.
I own the current version, but I also know an earlier one. The current one may be a bit more tamed and smoother, but it's still quite a force.
I can only advise everyone to test Shalimar at least once. Even if you don't like it, you should let yourself be carried away by the great classics into the scented sky!
10.0 7.0 7.0 10.0/10

GitaOgg
The other day at the neurologist
"Good day, Mrs. Ogg."

"Good day, Doctor."

"Do you know why you're here?"

"No."

"Your social environment is very concerned about you. Your relatives fear that you have some adjustment problems and are not quite up to standard."

"Oh?"

"Yes, look... i was told you leave the house one day in old chucks, shredded jeans, leather jacket and black nail polish and the next you go out in boots, a lace dress and cashmere coat."

"Yeah?"

"Mrs. Ogg, this doesn't add up! You should decide on a style, otherwise you never know which drawer you belong in. And that's not all! Your family thinks you're always a little extreme... Smokey eyes in the early morning only partially match your terribly messy bun on the head."

"Aha... and where exactly is my problem now?"

"Your problem? Mrs. Ogg, you are a business economist and - especially at your age - should not appear in Chucks or with Smokey Eyes in the company. That's completely out of place... The crowning glory, however, is your fragrance! What were you thinking? Couldn't decide whether you should have a warm vanilla perfume or a harsh citrus scent, could you? Frankincense and myrrh are also included, which are far too many corners and edges for everyday life - everything creaks and smokes. And first of all this sillage, they just can't get past you. Discreet restraint would be much more appropriate in your position... what the hell is that perfume anyway?"

"This is Shalimar."

"Shalimar? But Mrs. Ogg! You know there are three things a lady can NEVER do!"

"Yeah, I know that."

"Well then! Then I'm sure you know what I'm suggesting and what you need to change in the future, don't you?"

"I think so... i should learn to tango."
8.0 6.0 6.0 7.0/10

Temple of love?
On the very warm days of the year I only wear my two summer favorites: Chloe Signature & My Name.
I don't know why, but they're perfect for it for me. Citric fragrances a la Light Blue don't get on my skin, although they are very popular in summer.

Well, since I only wear these two fragrances, I'm not so interested in looking for new fragrances or testing new ones. It's quite different in the cold months...

....except yesterday ;)

For whatever reason, I walked straight to Shalimar Eau de Parfum. I have the initial (which I really love!) and the original as old-fashioned and musty in the back of my mind that I tested years ago.

What do you want me to say? The way I remembered him, he's not at all.

The beginning is opulent and flowery, but I was not knocked down by the Sillage as I had imagined. Very pleasant, actually.

I can't smell the individual notes from the scent. They are somehow merged together for me.
I like that because the heart note reminds me slightly of my beloved initial. Oriental, spicy with a certain powdery note. Adult, classic. Yeah, you can tell the relationship.

Unfortunately Shalimar doesn't smell so great towards the end.
After approx. 2 hours the fragrance develops to an old-fashioned perfume, as I had imagined it to be (well stupid run...).

It becomes musty, soapy with a strange note. Is that the opoponax? I don't know...
It's like a perfume for the mature lady from the age of 60.

Despite how bad I had him in mind, he's not. The durability surprised me, too. I thought it would be a lot harder. In total he only stayed 4 hours on my skin...

Maybe next time I should test opium again? ;)

There I remain probably with my initial, of it I have also still a while something :)

The queen of my nights
Oh Shalimar, you are the queen of my nights and always will be. Femme fatale in a bottle, not the cheap femme fatale, the sophisticated one, the one that knows she is all woman and not a bit apologetic about her female powers. She is my favorite fragrance right after my signature fragrance Jil Sander Sun, and she is my favorite night time beauty. Enticing and alluring. There is a reason she is an icon that will never fade into the background. When I wear her I flip my hair enticingly, blink with my lashes a bit more than I normally do, and all that without blushing. She is glorious, and her spirit comes out with every well placed spray every time. It is a perfume that rather carries you than you wearing her, that's the magic of her powers - and that's just fine with me.
10.0 10.0 7.5 10.0/10

The Timeless Classic
Shalimar will live forever.

It is a truly inspired fragrance from its wonderfully fresh flowery opening through to its vanilla drydown. One magical touch is the inclusion of opoponax in the recipe.

In this restless world, it's reassuring to know that there is Shalimar. And we all say "Amen".
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Briarthorn
Still blowing minds, all these years later
There are so many reviews for this one. I was on the fence on whether it would be worth adding another one, but here we go anyway.

This is not what I expected. I really don't know what I expected, just that it wasn't this. I expected to be sorta "eh" about the Shalimar EDP.

It opened up very powdery and just as I was thinking it reminded me of baby powder, It developed into a smoking campfire, but then almost right away I got the most amazing incensy, smoky, leathery, tonka beany delight. I was amazed at how quickly it developed. It finally settled down on an incense, woody note. I love it. I want it. I am surprised by it and even more delighted by how wonderful it gets along with my skin. There is no question why this scent is so iconic, well known, and universally loved. This is a work of art.

We are definitely gonna be good friends.

Dec
2013
7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Vanilla Garden
They say Jacques Guerlain poured a bottle of vanilla into Jicky and Shalimar was the result. Maybe the story is a tongue-in-cheek way of expressing just how much vanilla Shalimar contains because, if their pyramids are correct, Shalimar only has 4 of Jicky’s 21 notes, other than vanilla. Shalimar is a sweet oriental, missing musk. Sultry-spicy, somewhat camphorous opoponax stands in for warm, golden amber. Without animalic notes or woods, Shamilar ought to be sweeter than it is. However opoponax is the dominant note, softened by florals and vanilla. It is a very interesting fragrance, an accomplishment certainly . . . sophisticated, involving. Not love on first or even second try for me, but one I might come to love one day.

It's named after the Shalimar Garden in Pakistan, which the Mughal emperor, Shah Janan reproduced around the Taj Mahal because his beloved wife, Mumtaz who is buried there, enjoyed Shalimar so much when she was alive.

Shalimar dries down very much like it starts. Opoponax is still strong, but softer. Now the vanilla stands out. Somehow, my soul yearns for woods and musks.

Original notes from Thierry Wasser pyramid--Top:Vanilla, Leather, Bergamot, Lemon. Mid: Jasmine, Rose, Vanilla, Orris, Patchouli, Vetiver, Incense, Civet. Base: Vanilla, Tonka bean, Musk
7.5 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

Prosperonlin
And the Gods gave us Shalimar ...
As many others have already said, shalimar is a classic, perhaps the most classic of them all, and equaly a work od a genius perfumer. For me is smells more msculine than feminine, what is no surprise after Prada pour Homme Intense, Eau Sauvage Parfum, Burberry Brti for Men, Tom ford noir and many scents in the same oriental veil. Shalimar seems a blueprint for so many scents we all know and that's why I cannot perceive Shalimar as dated, old fashion and even less, praise God, old lady-grandma-ish. No need to go through the notes, it has been done very well indeed by some others. I just think everybody really keen on fragrances should try Shalimar. It is beautiful, it is an art form, it is perfection. I feel very fortunate to own an EDP bottle of this relic and yet so present, uptodate scent that is Guerlain Shalimar.
7.5 5.0 8.0/10

Like a Version
I'm wearing the 1990s EdT, the one in the very upright chiseled fan shape bottle with the comically huge blue plastic lid. Of all the Shalimars I own in different concentrations and vintages, this one is most bliss-some beginning to end.

The rindy citrus tingle begins it, and it is my private pleasure, enough to energise and propel me into the Big World.

Out there I ride the warm rich vanilla and smoky leather. I might never leave the house if it began so, thank heaven for bergamot. The warm base wears pretty close, but the fragrance casts also a floral veil - sillage enough to draw comments when hugging and dancing. One hugger mentioned iris, but couldn't ID the fragrance (which he *does* know well), and it is true, the iris is clear and lovely, a little mist weaving its way through the composition.

Although it may be true that I perspire IsoE (my skin seems to floralise and prettify everything) I do feel the florals are a little more pronounced in this version than others I've tried, and yesterday, although the notes say Tonka Bean, I was aware of a delicious light heliotrope.

I felt wonderful wearing this. I can't say how long it lasted, it was a background bliss for hours, but when I went swimming under a dark sky I felt sure I smelled it breathe its last 8 hours in.

On a scale of 10 I give it an I Love You (and how very nice, you love me too).
10.0 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

Mujo
My closest thing to a signature scent
I consider this a perfume for more mature woman. When I was a teenager Shalimar didn't suit me, much to strong and mature. Jardin de Bagatelle suited me much better. Now I'm older I absolutely love Shalimar. It makes me feel confident, save and secure and even a little more prettier. I love the soft flowers and the dark powdery vanilla drydown. The darkness of the incense, woods and leather are very well projected in the (older) extraits. A great perfume indeed...
10.0 7.5 7.5 9.0/10

MasterLi
Masterpiece... The Original "Bad Girl"
Typical example of a fragrance that you need to let grow on you before you can fully appreciate it! Fist time I tried this... a very strong, very dirty, almost bitter vanillic leather aroma hit me and I found it quite pungent and almost overbearing. But after a few days, and other applications... I really had to agree with everyone here in that this is quite an elegantly made, beautifully blended, sophisticated fragrance, and I can see why many call this a masterpiece. There is not much more to add to what others have said, but I would say to first time users please give it a few tries on your skin and leave it the time it needs to fully appreciate it. Trust me, if you do this you will be rewarded, but be patient and you will see why so many people call this a masterpiece.
10.0/10

shalimar
simply a work of art in every sense ,deep oriental and unique ,sensual and it helps to dream about ancient eras and luxurious people
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Sorceress
Can You Accept The Responsibility Of Wearing Shalimar?
Shalimar evokes such pleasurable memories for me. And it's scent is so deliciously decadently devious. Guerlain designed this perfume to be that way. It is a woman's scent. It is for those who know they are a woman, when they want to be a woman and when they luxuriate in being the woman they are. Because it is a perfume that brings to mind the human body as a pleasurable thing mixed with sweetness. For me, it's dry down won't attack with any sick sweet cloying floral scent or overpowering muskiness either, but rather, entice with a suspicious mixture of naughty and nice. It belongs to a faraway time, perhaps in a Sultan's tent, mesmerized by the fragrances adorned on oiled bodies, of incense lightly burning somewhere in the night.
When I wear this wonderful scent, I can take on the world. There are but a handful of perfumes that make me feel that way. Shalimar is one of them. There should not be many that can give a person such a feeling, either. Power can be a wonderful thing, yes, but it must be handled with grace. Amongst other things. The person that wears Shalimar must be prepared to do so with strength. Should you decide to wear this potion, you are accepting the responsibility of being a Shalimar woman/man.
Created in 1921 it has withstood the tests of time. Shalimar should never be confused with any designer fragrance of the moment or used as a popular scent. It is so much more powerful than any magazine, television advertisement or hype that today's fragrances attempt to parlay into sales can ever dream to attain.
It is a sexy smell that you can layer on with its accompanying lotions or creams. It's considered an Oriental with a headiness of musky vanilla that does bring others to their knees. wondering how such a thing happened to them. It was said back then that a lady didn't do three things: "smoke, dance the Tango and wear Shalimar". So for those that think of Shalimar as an old lady's perfume, think again. There really is no such animal. There are only scents that bring out one's own beauty and confidence when mixed correctly with the wearer's pheromones.
Shalimar was one of my first perfumes as a young woman and I'll always delight in wearing it. It was a wedding day perfume for me, yes. It always makes me feel special. Wearing Shalimar reminds me of whom I am and who I want to be at the moment. It gives me a smile to wear, with the confidence to wear nothing else. It just has that ability. It will always be my favorite.
Jacques Guerlain knew what he was doing when he created Shalimar with the new scent of vanillin.

Seductive
The few sniffs I've had of this in the past did not thoroughly prepare me for for the complete seductive qualities of this perfume. I'd tested it on paper and sprayed a little on my wrist from time to time and thought wow that's really nice. But after taking this beauty home I found I need to use at least 2 or 3 heavy handed sprays to achieve true satisfaction.

Some perfumes smack you in the face before making friends with you. Shalimar however does not want to be your friend, she wants to be your lover. Her goal is to seduce you slowly. Sure, she grabs your attention at first with her citrus opening, but it's pleasant, only slightly seductive like a kiss on the cheek. The opening citrus is not an orangy pop sickle on a stick sweet but rather a dry sophisticated citrus, keeps you interested and craving more.

The vanilla becomes apparent rather quickly, but this particular vanilla does not in any way remind me of today's lovely, sweet beauties. It seems a lot more sophisticated, more refined and softer. The leather notes then enters the room and lies down with the vanilla and other assorted notes like wood and incense. The combination stimulates your imagination, and as it develops on your skin, you feel as if you've been drawn into an erotic dream. I adore this perfume! Longivity and sillage are wonderful. It's not an overpowering sillage though, just seductive enough to lure but still a lady.
10.0/10

Eurochic
Memories of a timeless beauty.
I never had the pleasure of trying the original Shalimar on myself, but it was my dearest grandmother's signature scent. I remember one day, as she opened the velvet box in which a bottle of pure perfume was nestled in dark blue satin, I saw her face lit up like a little girl's. She loved Shalimar, I loved her, and to me this perfume will always be a gem, because of the memories tied to it. I would love to try it on me too, but unless I can get a hold of the vintage (70's or 80's), I don't want it. It just wouldn't be the same.
And now Guerlain is feeding of Shalimar, releasing flanker after flanker after flanker and even flankers of the flankers. The current version of Shalimar is, from what I have read, already a pale copy of what it used to be. So why tweak the formula even more? They had a great classic beauty (several actually), couldn't they just leave it at that? Concentrate on what they already have, try to stick to the original formula, or at least try to recreate it as best as they could within the new IFRA restrictions.
This is just my opinion, but I think that when people are presented with a choice between a classic original timeless beauty and a modern generic "of the moment" cutesie, they will choose the first, because the latter will be forgotten in no time.

First Impressions and Day 2
This perfume makes me think of the drink orange julius that was all the rage when I was a teenager. I get more of a food scent rather than a botanical scent from this perfume. And I completely don't get any Middle Eastern or Oriental aspects. I would expect an Oriental or Middle Eastern quality to be more spicy or aromatic.

Day 2:
what lingers on my wrists on day two is rather different from yesterday's experience. The scent places me in the hills above Los Gatos, CA, wandering through grassy oak glades the sun sparkling, pouring down on everything. Wow!! Makes me homesick for the hills of the Bay Area!

JoaoMartins 31 days ago
One of the most relevant scents ever created. A masterpiece and a staple in the industry.+1
Carlitos01 142 days ago
A divine unisex masterpiece from Guerlain. Ultra feminine in a lady, strong and manly in a man. The alluring vanilla leaves me speechless.+4
9.0
Jazzy76 10 months ago
I am excited trying to write about the scent of my dreams: citrusy at the opening, but after warm and sensual.Strong sillage. A masterpiece+4

by Zora
by Zora
by TomLavender
by TomLavender
by GothicHeart
by GothicHeart
Wünsche euch allen einen glänzenden Übergang ins neue Jahr und vor allem Glück und Gesundheit
by Zelena
by Zelena
Mein Juwel
by Josch
Immer wieder 'Mein Juwel'....
by Santalwalti
...heiß geliebt • dearly beloved • kochany przeze mnie...
by Stardust
meine nachtischlampe bringt einige flakons schön zum leuchten:-)
by Tahnee
links : 7,5ml Extrait / Mitte : 5ml Eau de Parfum Mini / rechts : 50ml Eau de Parfum
by PontNeuf
by Unchaned
by Chypienne
by Chypienne
by Chanelle
... meine liebsten Reise-Begleiter ...
by Sweetgrass
by Schahram
by Moni43
by Moni43

Popular Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Jicky (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain