Shalimar 1986Eau de Parfum

Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain
Top 53 in Women's Perfume
Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 1986. The scent is oriental-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBlossoms, Bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Jasmine, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Balsamic notes, Tonka bean

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 05.04.2021.

The Persian word Shalimar means "The purest of all human pleasures" It is the name of an Indian garden which was extended by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan for his beloved main wife Mumtaz Mahal. After her death he erected the famous Taj Mahal mausoleum which today symbolizes the dazzling grandeur of the orient. Thus, the name Shalimar invokes love, beauty and a perception of the orient. Shalimar is regarded as an iconic oriental fragrance. According to the often told - but not very reliable - legend Jacques Guerlain accidentially added too much vanillin when blending a batch of Jicky. It smelled unexpectedly good.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain, which differs in concentration.

the "Taj Mahal" of fragrances
According to the legend of the House of Guerlain, Jacques Guerlain was fascinated by the exotic life that swept into Europe just after the turn of the 20th century.
And so, of course, was the touching love story between Mumtaz Mahal and the Emperor Shah Djahan in the gardens of Shalimar in Kashmir.
After his great successes of "Après l'ondée", "L'Heure bleu", "Mitsouko" and "Vol de Nuit", he now ventured a new step in 1925: he worked with ethylvanillin.
"To see what would happen" - it is reported, he added to this a good dose of "Jicky" extract.
Not quite satisfied, he removed the lavender contained here, but increased the bergamot influence instead.
He was completely engrossed in the love story of the Shah and his beautiful wife, for whom the mausoleum "Taj Mahal" was built and thus an unforgettable monument to love was set.
Through his fascination with it, "Shalimar" achieves its balance and beauty in the fragrance.
So much for the story told at Guerlain.

I got to know and love "Shalimar" in 1991. At that time, I was particularly captivated by its powdery warmth, which makes you think of mohair and cashmere and is always very welcome to me by my "fish blood", which makes me shiver frequently.
Again, this scent sensation is due to the industrious iris and its powdery accords.
As is often the case, however, it must also pay tribute to the fresh initial note of hesperides, as mentioned especially the bergamots, in this love gift.
Finally, everything must also have its order in the fragrance world.
This generously powdery iris is also accompanied here by the classic team of femininity: the white fragrance-intensive floral splendor of jasmine, united with the romance of the rose.
This is a bow from most perfumers to us women: We love them for it!
The so famous "Guerlain" vanilla gets another special kick from Opoponax; this gives its slightly resinous spiciness.
Because of course a little eroticism may not be missing in this fragrant declaration of love.
What would love be without that certain crackle?

In addition to its dreamlike fragrance fullness "Shalimar" enchants with its long shelf life. As if it had conquered every pore of the skin for itself!
This powdery warmth envelops and accompanies, once it has taken possession of the wearer:
"You are an enchanting woman!" this substantial fragrance lover seems to say, "and that's why I won't be leaving you anytime soon!"

"Shalimar" - a declaration of love of a very special kind by Jacques Guerlain to women.
He also set with it a monument - a monument to women and their fragrances!
In 1925, when he created his original fragrance, he could not yet know that his grandson Jean-Paul would also one day create a special fragrance for the beloved woman, his own wife: "Chânt d'Aromes"!
But that belongs here only in passing and is a whole other story.
Another story, of course, dedicated to love and fragrance.

Since "Shalimar" as Eau de Parfum moved in with me at that time, it accompanies me in the most different concentrations and various Flaconformen. Whereby the classic "wing flacon" is my favorite.
Although not worn daily, but still always present, it never fails to show me his steadfast love.

I cannot build a "Taj Mahal" as a token of love to this fragrance beauty.
Instead, with my 600th comment, I am setting a monument to her in words.
That this happens just on the first day of my fifth year in this community is a coincidence!
But don't coincidences define our lives?

Back in 1991, when I was looking for a special fragrance for a special weekend, I found what I called an "ever lasting love"!
An enduring silent love that takes note of my numerous flings over the years - some with much younger and (admittedly also) more exciting fragrance beings - with an understanding smile and is always there for me.
"Shalimar" - even without a monument a great love affair!
Please take my words instead of flowers!
The classic par excellence
A typical 80s fragrance for the big appearance (today on the couch).
Tart freshness at the beginning, probably from the bergamot. Then comes a sea of powdery white flowers and in the base smoky vanilla and tonka. Overall, very spicy and oriental. A fragrance that gives warmth and you feel safe. Sillage is great. A classic simply.
The durability is excellent, also stays forever in the clothes.
For very young women I find him not so suitable, but ultimately everyone should wear what he / she likes
Janessa
Young women and Shalimar?
Well, at 27, am I even young anymore? That remains to be seen.
One rainy autumn day I strolled through one of Munich's shopping malls. To my left, a branch of the big D suddenly appeared. I just kept walking.
No, of course I didn't. Rarely can I just stroll by.
"Oh, today I treat myself to a new perfume." With the thought I entered the store and as always hangs in the air a collection of all kinds of fragrances. Phew.
Looking around, I catch the eye of an aged saleswoman. Spontaneously, I let myself be advised by her, although I usually prefer to look around myself. A vanilla fragrance it should be today. When I wave off "Olympea" and the like, she reaches into the shelf and shows me a beautiful, almost baroque-looking bottle. Quite old-fashioned. She tells me it's one of the most important and popular fragrances in perfume history.
Alright, she sprays it on my wrist. I detect a heavy rubbery note, to me it smells like car tires spinning, smoke forming, just before the revs are simultaneously high and low enough to get grip. The sports car drivers among you know what I'm talking about.
Smelling the wrist, I wrinkled my nose and looked skeptically at the saleswoman. She just smiled and sent me out of the store. I should go for a walk for half an hour. If I then like the scent, I should be happy to come back.

In fact, it takes more than 20 minutes until I no longer smell car tires, but a warm, soft and high-quality vanilla spreads. Flashed by this scent progression, I actually return to the nice lady and buy the fragrance.

Shalimar still contains mostly natural ingredients, which makes it very interesting.

Only small disturbing factor, but this is due to the natural raw materials: to the vanilla note joins after about 5-6 hours a slightly musty, for me not assignable note. I can imagine that this is why some people classify it as a "granny scent", because many people today no longer know natural fragrances, but associate them with times long past. By the way, I'm sure that if some people didn't know how long a fragrance has been around, they certainly wouldn't downgrade it as "stale" and the like. But about "taste" can not be argued as is well known and that is also good so.

Otherwise, a great fragrance, which is completely justified even today one of the best-selling fragrances worldwide
EdP after reformulation
I had tested a sample EdP 2010. At the time I thought the fragrance is more for a lady, I'm too young for it. Now the time seemed ripe to me. I did some research on different versions. I usually like EdT versions better as I like citrus scents. They come out well on my skin too. With Shalimar, I went for the "stronger tobacco". However, my olfactory memory tells me : "there was something else..."
10 years ago, I was not so far that I consciously followed the pyramid progression, but I definitely remember the top note fresher. For me, the scent starts smoky leathery, then is just leathery for a while, and only later becomes more complex and sweet. That's when my untrained nose can't tell the individual notes apart. The beginning is definitely very oriental. Something resinous-leathery-smoky-aromatic. I can't detect citrusy fresh notes at any point. Is this different with EdT? Heard that EdT lost a lot of the sparkle after reformulation, since natural bergamot is missing. Is that in the EdP also so?
I have to get used to the admittedly very nice and refined sweetness first. Super warm winter scent, perfect for the season! Lets the imagination already play and think of the incense rituals in the Orient. But very classy, no incense sticks. Fitting to the story behind it.
5.5
The Lady of the Past
Well, I think this perfume was a fantastic fragrance at that time and certainly smelled completely different than now. At that time such a perfume was very expensive and not everyone could buy a stunning fragrance. Only the older ladies who saved a chunk of money and bought a wonderful fragrance. I think that's why so many associated this fragrance with an older lady or even a grandma. Yes, this scent reminds me a lot of an older lady from the 80s too. I even found the scent to be very pungent on the nose and and personally would not wear it myself
Shalimar and the duality
It's difficult to write something about perfumes about which so much has already been said without perhaps repeating others, and yet today is one of those days when I can't get Shalimar out of my mind. I sprayed the little sample on my wrist and neck and was, as always, floored by this masterful composition. There formed words that just have to get out.

My personality is difficult. "Difficult" not in a negative context, but rather it's a word that mainstream society finds for people like me. A man who doesn't care much for images of masculinity. I wear second hand leather jacket and nail polish, beard and highlighter, black and pink. I like to spray a spritz more than I'm given, sometimes I don't wear perfume at all, wear scents regardless of gender or season, and even though I can be a sweetheart, I can get uncomfortable just as easily. This indentitarian independence and duality has been with me for as long as I can remember, and Shalimar is for me the perfume that (so far) best captures and represents it as a scent.

It's marketed for ladies. Sure, the composition actually has quite classic floral sweet feminine notes. But then there's this bergamot note and opoponax note that, when combined, can wrap everything in a slightly tart, citrusy incense smoke and I often catch myself wondering, is this really feminine? Is this masculine? It's both and also kind of neither, it's just unique as we humans are too, no matter how many pigeonholes we find for ourselves.

If I wear this scent, I feel confident, sexy, almost divine, and I suppose I wear that feeling out at least as well. But it could just be the sillage, which can easily fill a room if you want.

Shalimar, along with Mon Guerlain, was the perfume that really introduced me to Guerlain. I really appreciate that throughout all this time, the various perfumers have always managed to capture real people, feelings and realities in a perfume. This is an art that I don't think is all that common and that makes wearing these perfumes special time and time again.
Guerlinchen
Without words and yet described so much....
My first comment here - and then immediately about a queen...can that go well?!
Anyway - who,if not this beauty has earned my first words here...So (clears throat) :

I had tried this fragrance decades ago - and was bitterly disappointed.Whether by me or the perfume I could not even say...I had so looked forward to this icon and then I stood there and could not understand him, not really grasp...Wait, that's been so long in the perfume world and so popular and a legend - why do I find him so fierce and so not beautiful?!Am I too young for it?! Anyway, sad and disappointed I turned away from him. Many years later I had him sprayed on a strip for me once again (I couldn't forget him despite everything?!), with similar feelings as before I carelessly put the strip down on the telephone table at home.
That was it with us...what a pity.
Then came the next morning - and what was that scent in my hallway??! As if possessed, I ran around sniffing everywhere. Until I got near the test strip: WHAT, this beguiling scent emanating from this tiny scrap of paper? I smelled it in disbelief and what came next was magic - I just can't describe it any other way.The most beautiful,perfect,heartwarming vanilla I had ever smelled! I was gobsmacked,even had to sit down - who cares about the morning coffee or the terse breakfast?! Gone and finally understanding, I smiled to myself.That's why so many love it! I was so glad I hadn't disposed of the strip or I would never have understood what this essence of warmth,spice and pure femininity was all about. Shalimar opened my already big perfume heart even more. With this enchanting beauty, my "perfume mania" really got started - these scent molecules have clawed their way into my synapses and immortalized themselves there forever - and that's a good thing! From then on, I have tried soooo many fragrances but a vanilla like this I have never found again (outside the "art store" Guerlain of course)...

Yes this is my back story to Shalimar,more writes it with each new spray on my skin. It needed this text, less would not have been appropriate,please do not take it against me...

The fragrance: if I continue writing now, I repeat many of the previous speakers or even the fragrance pyramid...honestly, I feel Shalimar is so complex that I do not even want to presume to describe it correctly for everyone. It is as unique as a work of art and everyone sees it with their own eyes in their own way. Honestly - try him out and give him the time to charm you...for me it was worth it.

The Sillage: is stunning, please easily dose - I find him almost the most beautiful, if he has sprayed before me someone in the room or I smell him days later on my clothes -so we come to
Durability: bombastic with me, especially on the clothes.

Flacon: a work of art in itself - incredibly beautiful and noble ( I think my heart actually beats a little faster when I see it...).

The price: actually almost no matter...but he is really at good prices to purchase if you look for it.

Remains for me only to say - thank you for your attention and have fun testing ;-)
Shalimar - A little treasure
Oriental perfumes are usually not particularly me.
Sometimes they get me, but not very often.
Shalimar is such an exception (for me).
The vanilla smells pleasantly woody, isn't too overbearing or sweet.
Yes, this fragrance is similar good for me as Ilias is. A fragrance I won't wear often, but, when I do, it's a lot of fun.
Craft-wise, it's well done. The longevity is very good. There's no other way to put it.
The scent cloud left behind is nothing to sneeze at either.
Still, this fragrance probably won't crush anyone. The bergamot makes Shalimar not too sweet and gives it some freshness.
This is not so common in the field of oriental perfumes, but possibly there is a lot more to discover. Oriental fragrances have it with me always a little harder.
But that's really just a matter of taste.
Shalimar is in any case a convincing fragrance, a small treasure that you can take again and again to hand and put on.
Floral notes are included and for me hardly to name.
The balsamic notes are cuddly and it does not become too sweet or spicy even in the base.
The only thing that left me a bit questioning at first is a minimal smoky note that quickly disappears.
It no longer bothers me.
I don't know what caused that note either.
In winter, the Edp is very wearable and in summer, the Edt is also a great companion

Shalimar: A Perfume Love Story
Throughout the last 95 years, there are only a few things left unsaid about
the most famous Guerlain’s creation.That’s why it’s my responsibility
to give this Guerlain Shalimar Review a proper in-depth love letter.

Here are my 5 quick takes:

- Holy Grail Scent from early 20th century
- First Oriental fragrance in the world
- Ideal for Fall and Winter in romantic setting
- Fragrance suitable for experienced connoisseurs
- Created by Jacques Guerlain

Guerlain Shalimar is hands down the Holy Grail Scent worth your time. A creative masterpiece,
and a fragrance which pushed the fragrance industry forward.

If you are interested in my perfume work, and would like to check out the full review,
you can find me on my scentgrail website and social media's under the Scent Grail name. Cheers.
Love at second glance
Much has already been said about Shalimar, but I too must now add my mustard, for I am addicted to this fragrance. I bought this scent blindly because of the good reviews here and the scent pyramid.

At the first test I was almost a little disappointed: too smoky, too unsweet and tart, almost too masculine. Where was the vanilla I had been so looking forward to? But as it seems, Shalimar is demanding and takes its time. After several tests I liked it more and more. That's why I went up from 8.5 to 10 in the fragrance's rating. Also the mentioned vanilla finally came out. Not a sweet, killing vanilla, but a finely spiced vanilla that combines beautifully with the balsamic notes (I guess incense?). With time, this vanilla comes out more and more, especially in the base. Then the scent becomes slightly sweetish, which surely comes from the tonka bean. I hardly noticed bergamot in the prelude, and hardly any trace of the flowers, the jasin and the rose. These seem to merely support the fine composition. With me the fragrances of the base are clearly dominating.

But I found Shalimar best when I sat outside a café last week in the afternoon with a curious friend, a 31-year-old Japanese man, and sprayed Shalimar on his arm for testing purposes. It was a very special first for him, because he had NEVER tested perfume in his whole life. What the wind blew into my nose then, smelled wonderful and enchanting. And he also liked the scent very much. He thanked me afterwards 3 times that he was allowed to test this fragrance! I think Shalimar has class and style, doesn't look overloaded despite the opulence, and never annoying.

I also smell leather out, although it is not indicated in the pyramid. Not a strong-smelling black leather like in Tom Ford Ombré Leather, but rather delicate, butter-soft, shiny, cognac-coloured leather, which I also smell at L'Heure Bleue EdP, although it is not listed in the pyramid. This note gives the fragrance something noble, almost noble. I see before my mind's eye a handsome young man in light brown riding boots. With a sword. Yes, Shalimar is enchanting on gentlemen too!

What I noticed most is that the scent is there right after spraying. No smell of alcohol that has to dissipate first. A special feature of Guerlain fragrances, as a saleswoman at Douglas once explained to me. Which speaks for the high quality of Guerlain perfumes. Also durability (12 hours plus) and sillage are excellent.

My conclusion is that Shalimar is definitely worth a test, because it stands out from the crowd and has style. Since he is demanding, I would test him several times before making a judgment. Of course not everyone can love this fragrance, but I think it speaks for itself that it has been around since 1925 and hasn't disappeared from the market. I, for one, love it, and I'm a student! Not at all an old-lady scent.

BertolucciKBertolucciK 2 months ago
The opening is citrusy, floral, slightly sweet and powdery. The drydown is balsamic with a beautiful vanilla and a touch of smoke.
GreMuserGreMuser 2 months ago
3.5
I understand the importance of this fragrance, but to my taste it must remain in a Museum. Totally unwearable nowadays.
FiroozFirooz 1 year ago
Not for every day, or everyone ,and off course not for every taste. But definitely a masterpiece. Has a magical vibe to it
KatjaCakeKatjaCake 2 years ago
Une légende!
AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
Best perfume ever? Why not? The base notes are just to well blended with a perfect combo of Vanilla-Opoponax,-Tonka.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
One of the most relevant scents ever created. A masterpiece and a staple in the industry.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
A divine unisex masterpiece from Guerlain. Ultra feminine in a lady, strong and manly in a man. The alluring vanilla leaves me speechless.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 3 years ago
I am excited trying to write about the scent of my dreams: citrusy at the opening, but after warm and sensual.Strong sillage. A masterpiece

by Zora
by Slickadam
by Slickadam
Temperatursturz ;)
by DemonHead
meine nachtischlampe bringt einige flakons schön zum leuchten:-)
by Shalimari
by Shalimari
by MadameLegras
by MadameLegras
by LysdeKerk
by LysdeKerk
by Tahnee
links : 7,5ml Extrait / Mitte : 5ml Eau de Parfum Mini / rechts : 50ml Eau de Parfum
by PontNeuf
by Unchaned
by Chypienne
by Chypienne
by Chanelle
... meine liebsten Reise-Begleiter ...
by Sweetgrass
by Trollo
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain