Shalimar (1986)Eau de Parfum

Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain

Top 37 in Women's Perfume
Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 1986. The scent is oriental-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBlossoms, Bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Jasmine, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Balsamic notes, Tonka bean

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 03.07.2020.

The Persian word Shalimar means "The purest of all human pleasures" It is the name of an Indian garden which was extended by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan for his beloved main wife Mumtaz Mahal. After her death he erected the famous Taj Mahal mausoleum which today symbolizes the dazzling grandeur of the orient. Thus, the name Shalimar invokes love, beauty and a perception of the orient. Shalimar is regarded as an iconic oriental fragrance. According to the often told - but not very reliable - legend Jacques Guerlain accidentially added too much vanillin when blending a batch of Jicky. It smelled unexpectedly good.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain, which differs in concentration.

Grenouille8
How to describe perfection?
How often have I tried to put this fragrance into words, to describe it. Started and stopped again. It is so difficult to do justice to this masterpiece with words... How do I begin? Shalimar is not pleasing. That springs to mind. But all positive. Because who needs "pleasing water"? And the fact that we're talking about a genuine icon And with what? With good reason. I'm talking about the currently available version of the fragrance, by the way, because unfortunately I don't currently own a vintage version. And I certainly don't know what the fragrance smelled like in 1925, when it was created. Except for a few notes from Thierry Wasser in an interview. But I've known this fragrance for many, many years and according to my memory, I still recognize it immediately, or rather it basically corresponds to the scent I've had in my head since we met (and never forgot). I am referring to the eau de parfum, because I use it primarily, but in principle I mean the fragrance itself. The composition, the character of the creation itself. So I think Shalimar is one of the few fragrances that has survived a reformulation or reworking (if it has taken place - which I think it has) well and without damage. This is a great gift, because the loss of this masterpiece would have been a huge one. Of course, as with all Guerlain classics, there is this wonderful story that led to the inspiration of the fragrance. The great love story that led to the construction of the Taj Mahal, alongside the Shalimar Gardens. Epic proportions, therefore, even in the creation of this fragrance. Modesty is not an option. Think big. Don't make a mess. And there's nothing wrong with that. It just fits. Because Shalimar is opulent. Shalimar is deep. Shalimar is intense. Shalimar is unique. In short - Shalimar is big. And what makes this fragrance so distinctive? It is, as usual with master perfumers, mostly the composition itself. The interplay, the perfection, how the individual notes and elements combine, complement, underline and form contrasts. What a juice this is. My goodness. It's pure magic. They say Shalimar was "the first oriental fragrance". In my opinion, one could correctly have meant only the first WESTERN perfume with an oriental fragrance. Anyway. In any case, it IS an oriental. And what a perfume it is. Powderiness, as it is sometimes mentioned, is something I associate only very, very subliminally with this fragrance, for example. As are the floral notes. I do not perceive them as solitary and characteristically standing on their own, but as a common harmony that contributes to an overall picture. For me, much more leatheriness and smoky notes are absolutely in the foreground. Animal attraction in perfection. Erotic? Very much so. But not vulgar, but mysterious, stylishly provocative. Magical. And of course the vanilla, which never drifts into a sticky, nauseating sweetness, but remains carrying, connecting and in a certain way spicy at all times. Shalimar intoxicates, but never becomes exhausting. At least not for me. Throughout its evolution, the fragrance remains strong and present, but still personal, I think. That's why I consider Shalimar a true signature fragrance, like most of the great Guerlain classics. And now I'm back exactly where I started - I'm at a loss for words. Although I feel I still have an infinite amount to say about this fragrance, because it triggers so much in me. But sometimes silence is simply the more appropriate way to express your feelings. So I'll end simply with the words of Jacques Guerlain: "To wear Shalimar is to unleash your senses." Just one more thing. I recommend to everyone the wonderful commercial "The Legend of Shalimar" from 2013. Just like the fragrance is a masterpiece.

Carlitos01
The scent of an utopian harmony
The original Shalimar perfume was designed by Jacques Guerlain in 1921, inspired by Mumtaz Mahal (the name means "Jewel of the Palace"), the wife of Shah Jahan, Mughal emperor of India. By this emperor orders were built the Taj Mahal in Agra and the Shalimar Gardens in Lahore. The gardens were laid out as a Persian paradise garden, intended to create a representation of an earthly utopia, where humans could live in perfect harmony with Mother Nature. Shalimar was Mumtaz’s favorite garden.
The harmony of the Shalimar fragrance was created when Jacques Guerlain poured a bottle of ethylvanillin (a component of artificial vanilla) into a bottle of Jicky, another masterpiece previously created by Guerlain in 1889.

Shalimar is balsamic, a bit powdery and smoky, and gives us one of the best vanilla accord I have experienced. This perfume has no defined gender. During the development it shows me both feminine and masculine facets. I really think that it fits extremely well both on women or men.
After spraying a swirl of magnific scents surround us. Citruses - mainly bergamot - mark a rich mildly fresh opening stage. Soon enough this freshiness is lightly sweetened by florals, probably jasmin. The strong powdriness of Iris is easily detectable and it will persist for quite a while.
The bottom notes are present all the way from the start as well and become dominant after thirty minutes or so. The floral sweetness gives way to the dominant vanilla and only the powdriness is kept from the previous stages. But it is a very rich vanilla, somewhat dark, and totally framed by balms and leather. There is a hint of civet as well.
The projection is huge without being intrusive. You just feel like enjoying and sharing the scent for as much time as possible, and Shalimar is quite generous in this aspect. When the projection starts to faint and the drydown begins, the balmy vanilla and leather combo will just seem to stay there forever in perfect harmony.
Shalimar is a very classy and sensual and it's the kind of perfume that just makes you love fragrances.

It's not easy to measure this cloud of harmony in numbers:
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Opening: 9.75 (Fantastic fresh opening revealing almost all the accords but with an emphasis on the strong citrus and floral sweetness and powdriness. I just take a quarter of a point because the bottom and drydown is even better)
- DryDown: 10.0 (long, divine, balsamic bottom and drydown, with dominant vanilla, supported by leather and a touch of civet. A fragrant hymn!)
- Longevity: 9.0 (3 sprays can last up to 10 hours)
- Sillage: 8.5 (up to 7 feet with 3 sprays; it projects for 3.0 hours)
- Uniqueness: 10.0 (It has its own DNA and individuality and it has been sustained for almost 100 years now. I don't recall any similar fragrance besides its flankers. The contemporary Emeraud from Coty does ressemble it but not much)
- Wearability: 8.5 (A three season fragrance for outdoors or indoors, day or night; avoid the hot summer days)
- Versatility: 8.5 (A compelling oriental unisex fragrance; excellent for wide number of occasions even if its class and sensuality demand formal events and why not intimacy? Just forget sports and seaside)
- Compliments: 9.0 (You will smell very good to everybody and people will admire you)
- Quality: 10.0 (well above-average quality ingredients, good flask, nice sprayer; handy refill bottles)
- Presentation: 10.0 (great presentation; Raymond Guerlain designed the bottle based on the Shalimar Gardens basin and Mongolian stupa art. The blue fan-shaped bottle cap was inspired by Guerlain family cutlery. The first bottles were made by Baccarat Crystal and received the Decorative Arts Exhibition Award in 1925)
- Price: 9.0 (EdP 90 ml non tester for € 34.00 on sale + shipping; the usual price ranges from €45.00 to €55.00)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Overall rating: 9.30 / 10.00
- between 7 and 8 = above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recommended;
- greater than 9 = do not miss;

Recommendation: This is a fragrance landmark, with no gender defined. Besides being an extraordinary scent with a generous performance and a magnific presentation, its price is quite affordable for the "package" you get. I do recommend it both for women and men, even as a blind buy.

Music: "The Flower Duet (Lakmé)" - from Léo Delibes.

Whiskey
I blind bout this and I am very glad I did. To me, if you ever smelled Habit Rouge edt and think it's good, you'll probably like this one. Shalimar edp actually smells more manly to me than habit rouge believe it or not. I do not get citrus at all... I get a strong incense and vanilla vibe that actually reminds me of the smell from a Johnie Walker Black Label....

Anyway.. I recommend you at least try this, I really like it

Gatsby
Welcome to the garden of the endless love
If you love quality music,if you re happy when you get tickets for a good theater show, if you think that the Moon isn t just a satelite and you have the confidence to feel in a simple black dress or shirt like you wear the most ellegant and expensive suit, you can t not love Shalimar! It was created for classy people, for humans with a level of tastes that can t be reached in the lack of culture, common sense, loiality and courage. All the ingredients are simply components of a story. Something good must happen when you have this masterpiece n your skin. Men can wear this too, but not ALL the men, just the brave enough ones ABLE to admit their feminine part inside, wich make their masculinity more lovable. Woman or man, if you know when you can wear it, and how many drops to put and where on your body, then yes, you re a STAR! Shalimar can walk for you when you can t find the courage to make THAT step. Shalimar can help you to find THAT word, in order to CONVINCE, gives you the key to conquer the bottom of every soul or- if you simply can t say any word, Shalimar speaks for you. One ingredient has been forgotten in the description above: The mistery.

K84
A true piece of art and cult. Evocative of different times, moments and places.
One of the best oriental perfumes in history made in 1925 by Jaques Guerlain as a tribute to the legendary love story between Emperor Shahjahan and his wife Mumtaz Mahal, it's a true piece of art and cult.
Evocative of different times, moments and places.
An authentic masterpiece that I really love to wear that features notes of bergamot, lemon, mandarin, rosemary, iris, jasmine, rose, patchouli, vetiver, vanilla, opoponax, tonka bean, frankincense, sandalwood, musk, civet, ambergris, leather, coumarin, Peru balsam.
Charlimar- isch love disch
I see it this way: With Shalimar you have to be lucky. 5 times my hair stood on end in the Pafümerie and I thought:" That's not possible, that's disgusting, old stale soup smells like that, but no perfume !"

Then I thought to myself that the smell is yes already very old, and everything was still covered with powder, the people her garbage still from the window on the street kippten and the women altogether not so much value on hygiene put . perhaps it was there even modern after wet cat to smell who knows? At that time I was already quite irritated and did not understand all the positive opinions about the fragrance at all anymore.

That dragged on for a long time until I stood in a fragrance department again and reluctantly picked up a ShalimarTester. Secretly I was creeping over the next nose again, but something could not be right. This time it smelled vanilla and romantic too. I was taken. And I bought the scent, but I don't trust him that much, because sometimes there is a slightly rotten note in it that I have to be afraid of. Every bottle is different ! So what, I like him!
Anti-Brumm as luxury version
So 140 characters are not enough. :-)

Yesterday I tested the Shalimar with my girlfriend. She said, more than 10 years ago this was her favourite scent, now unfortunately somehow not anymore. So she bought herself a brand-new bottle. Since I was recommended here to test this time because of the scent pyramid (because of my signature scent at that time Bogner Woman No.1), and I had sniffed in the perfumery only at the flacon and which was too gross for me, I had yesterday the opportunity.

What can I say?! The headline says it all and the fragrance or pyramid was zero for me at all, as was the above-average durability and sillage. I'm seriously wondering, where? My Dior Addict (2014) smells much longer at me.

With me from front to back bergamot and it reminded me of Autan or Anti-Brumm.
My girlfriend and I laughed at each other's faces because YOU really smell a lot more, and she said she didn't recognize it on my skin. It gets a little sweeter in the aftermath, but this anti-buzz smell stays.

Sorry, this is neither my Bogner, nor a fragrance I would even remotely classify as perfume on my skin.

It's not unpleasant, but it also likes to smell my anti-buzz in summer. D

Jazzy76
There will never be another you
As I wrote about the historical Shalimar edt , this fragrance isn't only a scent, but a lifestyle and a state of mind : feeling " Shalimar to me means feeling good, sexy, beautiful, charming and mainly unique.
Yes sir, this scent is a rare pearl and it's very very difficult to find copies and dupes of it.
After all my searches I realized that there will never be another Shalimar .
But let's smell this wonderful edp version : the Indian trip begins with an almost fizzy note of bergamot , but immediately you are involved by a vibrnat Jasmine cloud , so feminine and intoxicating. But it's the vanilla married to the warm and oriental opoponax which reamains on your skin for hours and hours giving to this scent that unmistakable mysterious but also sweet character. It's the berfect harmony.
Shalimar is really a great love story made perfume : when you find the right one and you feel it yours , you can appreciate and like other scent as well as other men , but there will be only one love in your life.
The sillage and the longevity are extraordinary , it's really a longlasting story. it's perfect in the colder season and by night and mainly in the very special occasion, whenever you want to feel like and Indian princess.
Unmistakable and very precious the recent version of the historical bottle recalling the fountains of the Shalimar gardens which inspired the name and the creation of this absolute masterpiece by Guerlain.
The price for a 90ml size is high, but the quality is the top.
so, dear Shalimar, i want to cite title of a famous jazz standard saying that "THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER YOU"
Walk of shame
Do you know that? You put on a strong, luxuriant scent and you are happy in the morning when you can still perceive it clearly on your skin? The Oragnist still plays the same melody but with a damper ?

I have that impression with Shalimar. What comes towards me reminds me very strongly of a lush full fragrance. The morning after. Yes.

Not unpleasant but somehow settled and weak.
I had to smile a lot because I can fully understand the "unventilated Christmas room" association of the previous speaker.

The remarkable, almost 20-minute top note of bergamot and flowers, which smells like lemon oil to me, blends beautifully into a small iris chord. Then Shalimar scurries very delicately towards his "puffed out vanilla scented candle" end. Moderate Sillage, rather very closely, durability with me maximally 4 hours.

I can't resist the impression that a beautiful old melody, which should have been played with awe-inspiring registration, has given way to a diplomatic flute. I'll wear it anyway. I also love it somehow ... but you like to listen to your favourite music a little louder?
Shock
The other day I really wanted to test Shalimar. A lady at the ATM smelled so good, and on questioning (courage point for me) it turned out to be Shalimar (unfortunately she didn't say which ...). So I'm completely unbiased in the department store and Shalimar EdP applied. I shouldn't have done that. My wrist escaped a painful... well ...smell like in a Christmas room that has been unventilated since noon, when in the evening all the real candles on the Christmas tree are blown out at the same time. Tongue tingling with me. The fragrance remains unchanged for hours. Is that how you do it? After the evening washing up attempt I had to sleep at night still with outstretched arm ... I could not perceive a course of smell altogether.

FiroozFirooz 96 days ago
Not for every day, or everyone ,and off course not for every taste. But definitely a masterpiece. Has a magical vibe to it
KatjaCakeKatjaCake 12 months ago
Une légende!
AmberScentAmberScent 13 months ago
Best perfume ever? Why not? The base notes are just to well blended with a perfect combo of Vanilla-Opoponax,-Tonka.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 15 months ago
One of the most relevant scents ever created. A masterpiece and a staple in the industry.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 18 months ago
A divine unisex masterpiece from Guerlain. Ultra feminine in a lady, strong and manly in a man. The alluring vanilla leaves me speechless.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 24 months ago
I am excited trying to write about the scent of my dreams: citrusy at the opening, but after warm and sensual.Strong sillage. A masterpiece

by Zora
by Zora
by IrisNobile
by IrisNobile
by TomLavender
by TomLavender
by Tahnee
Shalimar erinnert mich an einen kostbaren Schrank, den ich öffne und darin wunderbare Sachen von früher finde, die mich mit Vorfreude auf Zukünftiges erfüllen • Das Bild möchte ich Eden2 widmen *-*
by GothicHeart
by GothicHeart
by Gandix
by Gandix
by Zelena
by Zelena
Mein Juwel
by Santalwalti
Immer wieder 'Mein Juwel'....
by Slickadam
by Slickadam
by MadameLegras
by MadameLegras
meine nachtischlampe bringt einige flakons schön zum leuchten:-)
by Habanita
Briefe schreiben ist leider auch schon vintage!
by Piepmatz
by Shalimari
by Shalimari
by AFreimann
links : 7,5ml Extrait / Mitte : 5ml Eau de Parfum Mini / rechts : 50ml Eau de Parfum
by PontNeuf
by Unchaned
by Chypienne
by Chypienne
by Chanelle
... meine liebsten Reise-Begleiter ...
by Sweetgrass
by Carnolie
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain