Shalimar (1925)Eau de Toilette

Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain

Top 16 in Women's Perfume
Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 1925. The scent is oriental-powdery. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBlossoms, Bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Jasmine, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Balsamic notes, Tonka bean

Submitted by Gonsada, last update on 30.05.2020.

Challenge in Advent: On the way to "my" vanilla scent - 15.12.2019
Today I am finished very quickly: I bought myself a small bottle of "Shalimar". Not as a vanilla scent, but as a light oriental, which I find perfect for the winter. And I'm a little proud of myself, as a perfume-lady... because I realized very quickly that the oriental impression was accompanied by a powdery one and then later by a vanilla one, and that before I read the pyramid.... happy! That's exactly what I like about the fragrance: something floral and sensual, then powdery, then vanilla. As a child I found Shalimar very bourgeois, the granny scent par excellence. But now I like him very much, the lightness and the perceptible development are a joy to me. Recorded! Not as a vanilla favorite, though. Have a nice third Advent.
My test series from bottlings is finished with it, starting tomorrow my vanilla flacons are on. I'll start with the cheapest: Sweet Vanilla by Fruity Fragrances. See you tomorrow!

More than a scent
Shalimar isn't only a scent , it's a life experience, it's a state of mind, an attitude: everytime I'm feeling feminine and sexy or I'm perceiving something amazing and magic or mysterious around me , I smell on my mind the Shalimar notes.
I'm writing about this scent for my 43th birthday and this morning, browsing in my favourite drugstore shelves, I decided to make myself a symbolic gift: a cloud of Shalimar sprayed from the tester . I was involved in a true scented dream: the opening was very feminine and almost fizzy with vibrant notes of blossoms and bergamot , but immediately this sensation gave way to a very warm and round Jasmine heart to end with wonderful and surprisingly longlasting base note such as a sweet , warm and round vanilla and a wonderful opoponax -tonka bean accord giving that special oriental character to this legendary fragrance having (to me)no rivals since 1925, its date of Birth. The sillage is divine and its warm bouquet makes this masterpiece perfect for the mid or cold season (by day) or for the warm nights. For the winter evenings and nights I suggest the edp version , more incensed . The inmistakable bottle, only a little different from the historical one, is a glass art masterpiece and it recalls the shapes of the Shalimar gardens fountains , today Unesco cultural Heritage.
The price for a 90ml size of this legenadry fragrance is about 100 euros...expensive, but , in my opinion, this scent too could become a Unesco cultural Heritage !

Surprising for non-Shalimar lovers
I am very confused by the EDT version of Shalimar as all the websites list the exact same notes as the EDP but the scents, while similar, are not the same at all. It is not just a matter of concentration: the EDT smells more vanilla-y without the overpowering and disturbing skank in the original. Normally, I am a huge fan of skank but in the EDP and Ode a la Vanille versions it puts me off completely. I've tried for years to love Shalimar, as Guerlain is my very favorite perfume house, but only till now have I found a version I love.

The EDT is all vanilla and powder with a tiny citrus at the top. It projects very well and lasts moderately. It is very much a feminine, non-vintage kind of oriental with a tiny bit of iris and smoke in the drydown. The opoponax is a lot more prominent as well, giving this a resinous quality.

Finally, I can say I am in love with Shalimar!

TruckladyTrucklady 11 months ago
Taken me years to appreciate Shalimar. It isn't too much of anything; I was just too little of everything.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 17 months ago
An indian dream to wear , a blue silk touch , an unique exprience: citrusy opening and warm heart-base. Inimitable.It's my signature scent!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
Very classy and elegant fragrance.
While wearing it every woman is making a statement:
I am special! I am sexy! I am feminine! I am strong!

by EauMySoul
by EauMySoul
by Almira
by Almira
by Najom
by Najom
Shalimar EdT ca. 1995-2000
by Pistazieneis
Wunderschöne Verpackung des Shalimar EdT aus den 1990ern. Berauschender Duft!
by Olentia
Hab diese tolle Waage aus den 20ern auf dem Flohmarkt gefunden und wollte einfach irgendetwas damit anstellen :D
by Fabistinkt
by Arlufkin
by Ninahagen
by Ninahagen

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain Derby (1985) (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain