Shalimar 1925 Eau de Toilette

Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain
Top 27 in Women's Perfume
Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 1925. The scent is oriental-powdery. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBlossomsBlossoms
BergamotBergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesIrisIris
JasmineJasmine
RoseRose
Base Notes Base NotesVanillaVanilla
Balsamic notesBalsamic notes
Tonka beanTonka bean

Submitted by Gonsada, last update on 20.10.2021.

Lollipop445
How I found God (in the olfactory sense)
Shalimar was a very special experience for me. As one of the original stars of classic perfume art, this Guerlain knocked my socks off at the time, so much so that I've been going through the world differently ever since. I lost faith and rediscovered it.

But to start.

Who is perfumo-knowledgeable, the eternal number one among the women's fragrances will have quickly noticed: Shalimar, the Extrait. In the high pleasure of this golden elixir I was unfortunately not allowed to come (30ml about 300€ -aua-), the "normal" Shalimar lets you guess but what awaits you.

Since sat, and that was due to the circumstances that Douglas puts the "classics" down on the shelf as if no one would want to buy them, so I sat in front of the Guerlain shelf and looked at this beautiful, elegant, oriental bottle. Makes joy for more.

to the fragrance:

Sprayed on - bäh. No, at this point, my untrained nose did not get along with the oriental spice-balsam bomb. I was disappointed, after all, the EdT on Parfumo has a handsome 8.6, a rating that left me pensive, I had lost my faith.

The enlightenment came on the way back, you give the whole thing but still a second chance. And then, miraculously, I found myself on the Orient Express. I smell a godlike balsamic vanilla, which pulls me under its spell and does not let go - or is it me who can not let go? We're dealing with a genderless charmer here who excites everything around him. Remember the final scene in Perfume? Where Jean-Baptiste gets eaten because he smells like an angel? Well, with Shalimar, you can smell like God. If he/she/it smells like that, I'll gladly go through the pearly gates!
Valued classic
After a dramatic test of another perfume, which did not suit me at all, and which has almost slain me, I now decide to finally test Shalimar (with dear thanks to MmeMo for the sample). For a long time I've been a bit reserved towards the fragrance, I have the fantasy of an opulent-floral bouquet oriental with vintage vibe in my head - so actually not my direction.
Come on', I think to myself, the have many esteemed Parfumos in their collection - so something must be on it, and after the floral water aquatic debacle of the other fragrance it can now actually only get better.

So here we go - first impulse: time travel to the 70s; the bath oil of Fenjala. Not the soap or another product from the line - no, the sacred bath oil, which was on one or the other bathtub rim of the households frequented by me in my childhood. There was the occasional sneaky sniff of it, that was "for good". But still does not do it justice.
At that time, I could not yet distinguish whether a fragrance to older or younger, to the modern, conservative or alternative type suits...
The scent seems unspeakably familiar, yet I don't know anyone personally who actually owns it. Definitely everything screams "a classic".

Beneath the really very coherent floral composition, something else winks at me. I received the sample after an interesting exchange about Animalik in fragrances. Very quietly under the flowers is something slightly medicinal, but also something physical perceptible. Quite discreet, hardly tangible. I only suspect, but can not formulate it, why I got the sample of it.

Overall, it is rather not my fragrance - there are many flowers, in their opulence although overall not "Hau-Drauf", but in combination with powdery just not my direction. Could I imagine on others but quite charming and beautiful. I can also imagine why this fragrance is so popular. Its age makes it timeless, its complexity makes it sophisticated. It is very expressive, but not headache-dominant.
The Fragrant Lady
Autumn 2016. On a ferry from Palermo to Genoa, after a car tour from Austria through Italy, down to Sicily, a group of "fine", French-speaking ladies were giggling: Well dressed and, above all, in good spirits, they were drinking cocktails on the top deck. At some point, I heard this beautiful scent: it smelled, like childhood, lipstick, powder puffs, smoke and vanilla - and in a non-cheesy, very "ladylike" way, and I wanted this scent INCREDIBLY. Unfortunately, I didn't dare to ask for it (there were too many for my French to be too bad :D) and so a few years passed.

Although I already had all three "Ode a la Vanille "s at home, I wouldn't have thought of Shalimar - until I acquired a vintage miniature: That's it! The powder puff! Fond memories of the 80ies ferry, the French girls, the on-board perfumery, the Italian pianist performing "I just called to say I love you" in a delightful Italian accent, and the sea.

Of all the Shalimar's, I love the vintage EDT the most. Because of the fond memories? Also. But mainly because here just everything fits together and I would not know what you could do better
sorry no ode....
For a long time I did not dare, held my nose for too untrained to grasp such a classic at all.
Now it was time, I felt ready, have a sample Shalimar EdT ersoukt, looking forward to it and prepared the test time.
2 sprays on the wrist, waited briefly and then sniffed expectantly.....

But.....
Momentarily I feel transported back to the living room of my great aunt. A sophisticated, resolute woman who had come to the Big City from the small village through what she always said was a thoughtful marriage. As a widow, she had escaped the hustle and bustle of the big city and come back to the country. She liked me and always wanted to take me under her wing. I was too shy, maybe too intimidated by her kind, so I sat there, sinking deeper and deeper into the much too soft armchair, the air smelled dusty, sweet, of the furniture polish in the ornate buffet cabinet next to me, the bouquet of flowers on the table, had been in the same water for too long, and I tried to breathe as shallowly as possible because with each breath the air seemed to grow thicker. On the one hand, I wanted to get away, away from the smell and away from her monologue about her life, her travels, the importance of good looks and proper manners, her advice regarding the world of men, but on the other hand, she fascinated me. She was different from all the women I had met up to that point, no even different from all the people I knew - conventions didn't matter to her, she did what she wanted, when she wanted and how she wanted, but she was also stubborn, argumentative and didn't care about the feelings of others.....

For my nose, there is a constant battle going on with this fragrance: the bergamot screams "here I am, I am tart"; iris, jasmine and rose can't agree on who is the most beautiful, the most radiant now; the balsamic notes are so strict with vanilla and tonka that the stand intimidated in the fragrance pyramid and dare not unfold. At first I hoped that the notes would quickly agree and then the glorious, radiant scent I was looking forward to would emerge, but even after hours the battle raged fiercely - to my nose, vanilla and tonka must have won overnight and stand wearily on the battlefield - but each time waiting until the battle is over to then smell vanilla????

I am aware that this fragrance is a classic, that it was loved long before I was born and is still loved by many, many people, that it is masterfully composed, only for me it is not a wearable fragrance - yet I would have wanted to like it so much....
Nevertheless, it will get a place of honor with me and I will also take a look every now and then (maybe a little of the stubbornness of my great aunt is also in me)
Challenge in Advent: On the way to "my" vanilla scent - 15.12.2019
Today I am finished very quickly: I bought myself a small bottle of "Shalimar". Not as a vanilla scent, but as a light oriental, which I find perfect for the winter. And I'm a little proud of myself, as a perfume-lady... because I realized very quickly that the oriental impression was accompanied by a powdery one and then later by a vanilla one, and that before I read the pyramid.... happy! That's exactly what I like about the fragrance: something floral and sensual, then powdery, then vanilla. As a child I found Shalimar very bourgeois, the granny scent par excellence. But now I like him very much, the lightness and the perceptible development are a joy to me. Recorded! Not as a vanilla favorite, though. Have a nice third Advent.
My test series from bottlings is finished with it, starting tomorrow my vanilla flacons are on. I'll start with the cheapest: Sweet Vanilla by Fruity Fragrances. See you tomorrow!

More than a scent
Shalimar isn't only a scent , it's a life experience, it's a state of mind, an attitude: everytime I'm feeling feminine and sexy or I'm perceiving something amazing and magic or mysterious around me , I smell on my mind the Shalimar notes.
I'm writing about this scent for my 43th birthday and this morning, browsing in my favourite drugstore shelves, I decided to make myself a symbolic gift: a cloud of Shalimar sprayed from the tester . I was involved in a true scented dream: the opening was very feminine and almost fizzy with vibrant notes of blossoms and bergamot , but immediately this sensation gave way to a very warm and round Jasmine heart to end with wonderful and surprisingly longlasting base note such as a sweet , warm and round vanilla and a wonderful opoponax -tonka bean accord giving that special oriental character to this legendary fragrance having (to me)no rivals since 1925, its date of Birth. The sillage is divine and its warm bouquet makes this masterpiece perfect for the mid or cold season (by day) or for the warm nights. For the winter evenings and nights I suggest the edp version , more incensed . The inmistakable bottle, only a little different from the historical one, is a glass art masterpiece and it recalls the shapes of the Shalimar gardens fountains , today Unesco cultural Heritage.
The price for a 90ml size of this legenadry fragrance is about 100 euros...expensive, but , in my opinion, this scent too could become a Unesco cultural Heritage !

Surprising for non-Shalimar lovers
I am very confused by the EDT version of Shalimar as all the websites list the exact same notes as the EDP but the scents, while similar, are not the same at all. It is not just a matter of concentration: the EDT smells more vanilla-y without the overpowering and disturbing skank in the original. Normally, I am a huge fan of skank but in the EDP and Ode a la Vanille versions it puts me off completely. I've tried for years to love Shalimar, as Guerlain is my very favorite perfume house, but only till now have I found a version I love.

The EDT is all vanilla and powder with a tiny citrus at the top. It projects very well and lasts moderately. It is very much a feminine, non-vintage kind of oriental with a tiny bit of iris and smoke in the drydown. The opoponax is a lot more prominent as well, giving this a resinous quality.

Finally, I can say I am in love with Shalimar!

Paris4meParis4me 17 days ago
It’s beauty can’t be overstated. A perfect blend of florals, resins, and delectable vanilla. A classic masterpiece!
BertolucciKBertolucciK 8 months ago
The opening is citrusy, floral, slightly sweet and powdery. The drydown is balsamic with a beautiful vanilla and a touch of smoke.
TruckladyTrucklady 2 years ago
Taken me years to appreciate Shalimar. It isn't too much of anything; I was just too little of everything.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 3 years ago
An indian dream to wear , a blue silk touch , an unique exprience: citrusy opening and warm heart-base. Inimitable.It's my signature scent!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 4 years ago
Very classy and elegant fragrance.
While wearing it every woman is making a statement:
I am special! I am sexy! I am feminine! I am strong!

Wenn Vanille Kräuter lebt # der Vollmond prickelnd _ wie weiche Karamellen ☆ funkelnd am höchsten steht # erhaben Weihrauch strahlt # In Anmut Sha _li_mar erstrebt #I will leave the light on I will leave the light on I will leave the light on I will ....
by Seejungfrau
by Toppine
by Toppine
Shalimar EdT ca. 1995-2000
by Rosaviola
Vom Fallen und gehalten werden.
by MissBiscuits
Hab diese tolle Waage aus den 20ern auf dem Flohmarkt gefunden und musste einfach irgendetwas damit anstellen.
by Fabistinkt
by 0815abc
by 0815abc
by Lollipop445
Wunderschöne Verpackung des Shalimar EdT aus den 1990ern. Berauschender Duft!
by Olentia
by Blödel
by Blödel
by Shivsri13
by Shivsri13
Links: vor der Reformulierung, rechts: danach - man sieht es sogar schon an der Farbe
by Trollo
by Arlufkin
by Ninahagen
by Ninahagen

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Shalimar Millésime Vanilla Planifolia by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain