Shalimar (1925) Eau de Toilette

Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain

Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 1925. The scent is oriental-powdery. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesBlossoms, Bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Jasmine, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Iris, Opoponax, Tonka bean

Submitted by Gonsada, last update on 16.11.2019

MsPralinchen
Love letters from past days
Back when people wrote letters to each other.
Back when flowers were given away.
Back in those days, when people remained true to each other despite great distances.
Back when you could put into words what can hardly be felt today.

Memories of the palpitations of the heart, of the butterflies in the stomach.
In thoughts of the common hours, the long nights.
Hope, time can stand still and the moment can stay forever.
Dreams of the attraction of the forbidden, of longing.

"Good girls don't smoke, they don't tango and they never wear Shalimar"

Roses. So graceful and beautiful. So timid and naïve.
Vanilla. Heavy and rough. Like the smell of books in an old library.
Powder. Like a fine fog when you browse the old pages full of stories of heroes who dared so much.
Smoky. Like that night. When all they saw was each other. Surrounded by loud music, dancing couples and crackling passion.

The promise of eternal love. A lifetime.
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

More than a scent
Shalimar isn't only a scent , it's a life experience, it's a state of mind, an attitude: everytime I'm feeling feminine and sexy or I'm perceiving something amazing and magic or mysterious around me , I smell on my mind the Shalimar notes.
I'm writing about this scent for my 43th birthday and this morning, browsing in my favourite drugstore shelves, I decided to make myself a symbolic gift: a cloud of Shalimar sprayed from the tester . I was involved in a true scented dream: the opening was very feminine and almost fizzy with vibrant notes of blossoms and bergamot , but immediately this sensation gave way to a very warm and round Jasmine heart to end with wonderful and surprisingly longlasting base note such as a sweet , warm and round vanilla and a wonderful opoponax -tonka bean accord giving that special oriental character to this legendary fragrance having (to me)no rivals since 1925, its date of Birth. The sillage is divine and its warm bouquet makes this masterpiece perfect for the mid or cold season (by day) or for the warm nights. For the winter evenings and nights I suggest the edp version , more incensed . The inmistakable bottle, only a little different from the historical one, is a glass art masterpiece and it recalls the shapes of the Shalimar gardens fountains , today Unesco cultural Heritage.
The price for a 90ml size of this legenadry fragrance is about 100 euros...expensive, but , in my opinion, this scent too could become a Unesco cultural Heritage !
10.0 9.0 6.0 8.5/10

Surprising for non-Shalimar lovers
I am very confused by the EDT version of Shalimar as all the websites list the exact same notes as the EDP but the scents, while similar, are not the same at all. It is not just a matter of concentration: the EDT smells more vanilla-y without the overpowering and disturbing skank in the original. Normally, I am a huge fan of skank but in the EDP and Ode a la Vanille versions it puts me off completely. I've tried for years to love Shalimar, as Guerlain is my very favorite perfume house, but only till now have I found a version I love.

The EDT is all vanilla and powder with a tiny citrus at the top. It projects very well and lasts moderately. It is very much a feminine, non-vintage kind of oriental with a tiny bit of iris and smoke in the drydown. The opoponax is a lot more prominent as well, giving this a resinous quality.

Finally, I can say I am in love with Shalimar!

Trucklady 136 days ago
Taken me years to appreciate Shalimar. It isn't too much of anything; I was just too little of everything.+3
Jazzy76 11 months ago
An indian dream to wear , a blue silk touch , an unique exprience: citrusy opening and warm heart-base. Inimitable.It's my signature scent!+1
Carlitos01 21 months ago
Very classy and elegant fragrance.
While wearing it every woman is making a statement:
I am special! I am sexy! I am feminine! I am strong!+6

by Najom
by Najom
Shalimar EdT ca. 1995-2000
by Rosaviola
Wunderschöne Verpackung des Shalimar EdT aus den 1990ern. Berauschender Duft!
by Olentia
by Arlufkin
by Ninahagen
by Ninahagen

Popular Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Jicky (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain