Spiritueuse Double Vanille (2007)

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

Spiritueuse Double Vanille is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and men and was released in 2007. The scent is gourmand-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Pink pepper, Frankincense
Heart Notes Heart NotesBulgarian rose, Jasmine, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Benzoin, Rum

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 10.03.2019

Deep, dark Vanilla...
Now, I must start by saying that I have tried the other fragrance that this is compared to, and I really can't find much difference between them! I'm referring of course to Le Couvent des Minimes - Cologne of the Missions.

What I will say, is that Spiritueuse Double Vanille is a much darker fragrance. The rum, balsams and tobacco really add depth to this fragrance. The performance and longevity are good and it lasts for most of the day with me (but is not the strongest). I don't find this one completely gourmand however. I think it's very wearable in many different scenarios (all year round).

I find the fragrance great for people who love the house of Guerlain as it has their signature vanilla accord. I think gourmand lovers would also like it as well, however for everyone else I think there are other fragrances that do what this does, and which come close to what this does, for less. In that regard, unless someone is a collector or a fan of Guerlain, I can't see this being worth a full purchase. I do recognise that this was a big hit for Guerlain and many people loved it when it came out, but I feel that gourmand and oriental fragrances now are diverse enough with vanilla that you can get more value for what you pay for in terms of a vanilla fragrance. It's a great fragrance though, that is for sure.
10.0 3.0 3.0 10.0/10
Woe Vanilla
Darn you SDV, you last too little on me. Your opening sweet rum and caramel swirl enchants me but it is gone too soon. You don't project! For a price like that, you'd better. I love you all the same, and will spray you liberally until you finish and will keep the bottle to remember you by.
6.0/10
Double Disappointment
Double Disappointment
Finally! My lovely big decant arrived in the post this morning. I have had this on my wish list for ages, and finally had the chance to purchase a decant from a fragrance buddy. Of course I purchased it untested! This is the icon of vanilla perfumes! I have read so many glowing reviews, I couldn't possibly go wrong buying it blind. After all, I adore vanilla, and this is portrayed as a Holy Grail! Oh..how the tables turned on me! I sprayed it, and straight away I got a blast of vanilla essence, laced with rum. Ok, this is just the beginning..let's wait till the creamy, dreamy vanilla kicks in! It probably has to develop, as this is the Queen of all vanillas, after all! Four hours later..still waiting, and nearly in tears at the utter disappointment! Not even a trace of rose, nor a hint of jasmine..just a low quality vanilla soaked unbaked rum ball. Oh where is the luscious,elegant vanilla that is in my Shalimar Ode a la vanille Madagascar? I feel so let down. It must be my skin, chemistry, nose, or something I just can't fathom! I must be one of the very few people on the planet that doesn't adore this fragrance! I am almost ashamed to write this review, and in actual fact, did delete the first one, as it sounds so unbelievable that I'm not weak at the knees from this perfume. I am, however, not sorry I purchased this decant, as I would have been always sorry I never had the chance to experience it. But I've learned one thing..Double the anticipation, double the disappointment! P.S. This was posted in the German reviews, by mistake, so ignore the fact that is says German review...I can't write German anyway! (wish I could :)
5.0 5.0 7.5 8.0/10
Near Reference Vanilla...
SDV, like Les Nombres d'Or Vanille from Mona di Orio is not of the sickeningly sweet or powdery kind of vanilla making it a welcome rarity among most I have tried. My first impression was of a very mildly sweet rum, natural vanilla bean, and maybe even a bit of tobacco after about 20-30 minutes in. I definitely like it and could see why others would consider it their favorite. It is very similar to MdO's Vanilla, but that one is a bit drier throughout, and has stronger vanilla bean and dry rum notes, minus the tobacco IMO. SDV is an excellent vanilla to be sure and earns a stellar 4 out of 5 star rating.
7.5 7.5 5.0/10
Dark, Boozy Vanilla Extract--Twice
Straight out of the vial, while still wet on my skin, Guerlain SPIRITUEUSE DOUBLE VANILLE smells exactly like vanilla extract. High-quality bourbon vanilla extract, but vanilla extract all the same. A few seconds later, a dark and dirty demeanor shows its face—so dark that I thought ever-so briefly that it might be leather, but it appears to have been frankincense. The next somewhat surprising development is the emergence of something sour and unpleasant. I do not know what accounts for it, but it definitely disrupts my positive experience of this perfume for a couple of minutes. After that, all of the excitement dies down, and I find myself wondering whether this was really launched by Guerlain—until I remember that Guerlain is not Guerlain anymore.

I'm not really sure how or why anyone would find this composition similar to TF TOBACCO VANILLE, which opens with far more richness and depth to my nose, and eventually dries down to a primarily raw pipe tobacco perfume. SPIRITUEUSE DOUBLE VANILLE focuses much more, in contrast and as advertised, on vanilla. The drydown is nice enough (the sourness of the midstage has largely subsided), leaving me with the overall, lasting impression that this is a fairly respectable niche vanilla, albeit nothing to get too excited about. Consequently, I'll not be competing for the no doubt limited number of bottles of this perfume in existence. Enjoy!

Hermesh 3 years ago
Lush vanilla, versatile and fine. Light caramelly with a teanote, but with background freshness, subtly smoky, woody, fruity and ambery.
10.0
9.0

Die Fontaine in der Rue St Honoré für die farbigen Flakons
by Baptiste
Ist sie nicht anschmiegsam, die schöne Vanille?
by Gandix
by Altona
by Freeestyler
by Freeestyler

Popular Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Jicky (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain