Vega (1936) Eau de Toilette

Vega (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain

Vega (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 1936. The scent is floral-spicy. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Jasmine, Bergamot, Neroli
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Rose, Ylang-ylang, Sweet acacia, Orange blossom, Vetiver, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Iris, Vanilla
Base Notes Base NotesJasmine, Heliotrope, Musk, Tonka bean

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 01.09.2019

The perfume, originally from 1936, was re-edited 2005 as part of the collection "Il était une fois Guerlain" (in English: "Once upon a time Guerlain"). Initially intended to comprise five historical fragrances withing this collection - also named "The Vintages" - it remained restricted to "Vega" and "Sous le vent", re-edited 2005 as well.
Since February 2014, the historic inkwell flacon of Vega is exhibited in the "Hall of Mirrors" of the Maison Guerlain. On request, it is possible to smell the scent (extrait), which has been reconstructed following the formula of 1936.

8.0 9.0 9.0/10

Santalwalti
A fragrance of special soul depth
A perfume...
like a secret of which only I know something, like a treasure chest to which only I have the key, like a hidden garden whose gate jumps open only on my magic formula.

And what is so mysterious about this treasure, which resembles an enchanted garden in secret?

It's the soul of Vega.

There are scents that attract you spontaneously, that you like very much, some reflect something of your own personality, you recognize yourself in it, so to speak. This is something very beautiful, comparable to a precious gift. I feel the same way with the eau de parfum by Jean-Charles Brosseau's "Ombre rose", my signature fragrance. There I find myself again and at the same time the scent finds me wherever I am, holds me tight, takes me in its invisible arms, comforts me. There are also fragrances that have character, a profile of their own and that's why I like them.

But VEGA has more, VEGA has soul - a soul with great depths that I cannot fathom. A mystical scent like a secret garden that is unfathomable and difficult to locate, that points beyond itself into another distant world. It inspires the imagination, touches one's own state of mind and influences it for good and better. VEGA can do just that!

I love to be touched and carried away within me, especially today. Something makes me think of the Far East when I spray VEGA. Maybe it is China that reminds me of this imposing, expressive eau de toilette? I don't know, but I feel it. H
Oh, today wasn't a very happy day for me. I am nervous inside and quite quickly upset, but this day I am especially close to the water. So I indecisively look in my scent chest for what I would like to wear most on this sunny day, which marks the beginning of spring in the calendar. My gaze falls on a beautiful postcard from our dear 'Turandot', on which all kinds of scent fillings are fastened with Tesafilm. And finally, my gaze is stuck on VEGA. The name doesn't mean anything to me at first, but it's a Guerlain, an older vintage and both appeal to me. I spray two times on my wrist and immediately something moves inside me, a noticeable change takes place, but it is only limited to my inner being.
This perfume, composed by Jaques Guerlain in 1936 and launched on the market in a simple grooved glass bottle, satisfies me, makes me pleasantly still with its calm, prudent nature. I no longer look around restlessly, my eyes, which hurt today, turn inwards, my nerves come to rest.

But there are many more facets - VEGA has a refreshing and lively effect at the same time, it captivates me completely. Again and again I inhale deeply, very deeply, what blossoms there on my skin in large variety:

Aldehydes of radiant luminosity.
Fruits of delicious freshness and brilliant brightness.
Revitalizing fragrant neroli, citric-sour bergamot and blossoming orange trees, which cause wanderlust in me - they all wrap me up, make me lively, drive away any tiredness or approaches of depressive moods.

This fragrance is radiant with happiness and flooded with shimmering light. The image of a large tree in whose branches the wind plays its game comes to me. The branches swing up and down dancing and let the sun rays flash through the fluttering foliage.

VEGA is also rich in flowers:
Light ylang ylang, delicate yellow rose and white carnation as well as cream-coloured jasmine and azure blue hyacinth fill entire borders. A sea of flowers, blown into the air by the wind, which mysteriously mixes to create a unique fragrance spectacle. Simply heavenly!

Exceptional is the exuberant sweetness in this fragrance. A sweetheart who never gets too much, who never sticks together and who never plörrt. A sweetheart who's noble, just precious and noble. It is true perfumeurs' art that is shown in VEGA. This is particularly evident to me in this harmonious, very present, but never intrusive sweetness. Heliotrope, vanilla, tonka bean and a particularly exquisite musk oil form a liaison here that can only be described as a pronounced marriage of love. Finely balanced, a melodious scent symphony emerges, which I actually like to listen to for hours. Already for ten hours I have been fascinated by 2 short sprays from the bottler with the label VEGA and still she has something new to tell me

Dear Turandot, in addition to PARURE you have sent me VEGA, another new, surprising and beautiful splash of colour from the Guerlain fragrance range. For that I say thank you very much!
8.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

DonJuanDeCat
Sounds kind of familiar to me...
Good evening everyone :)
Today I present the fragrance Vega by Guerlain. A fragrance that should probably be relatively unknown, at least to the ordinary mortals... you freaks (oh man, I often call you freaks, but I really have to think of another name for you...) know every fragrance with all its flankers, ingredients, differences in reformulations anyway (just look at the Aventus disciples, who still know every little thing about different batch codes or I can recognize reformulations of the fragrance :D)... and I count as a nerd just because I know four characters more than you in Star Wars, tsss... that's SO typical again!

But I'm not getting into this right now. Well, not today. Because like said I tell you something about Vega, ... even if you freaks should already know everything about the fragrance anyway, hey :D

Soo, now a little background before I get to the scent: Vega (actually written yes Wega) was named after the brightly shining main star in the Lyra (or lyre) star image. Vega is the fifth brightest star in the starry sky. For many years it was one of the most important aids and supports for astronomical observations, because it shines many times brighter than the sun. This means that this fragrance bears the name of one of the most important stars. On the other hand you can also call this fragrance here a "star" among the fragrances, since it actually smells just like another world-famous star among the fragrances, but reads itself :)

The fragrance:
Hm.... But the scent looks very familiar to me. I have to check quickly if I have actually applied the Vega fragrance to myself or if I have sprayed Chanel No 5 by mistake. Because the beginning actually smells like the famous scent of Chanel (the EDP of it), which in my opinion is a star among the scents, as I said, because there is hardly anyone who hasn't heard of No 5 (whether you like it or not is another thing... I like No 5 anyway). The scent of Guerlain therefore begins with quite intense aldehydes. There is also a nice, beautiful sweetness of jasmine and a gentle powderiness of iris. By the way, all this fits quite well with the general soapy scent.
In addition, there is nice Neroli to smell for a while as well as Ylang-Ylang, which aren't very strong here and therefore don't seem to be that heavy and sultry.
Later, the fragrance becomes even softer. Because the iris together with a little vanilla and some musk now provides a wonderful, powdery softness (and also cleanliness, and this time is meant by clean here as mentioned also quite soapy). In addition, the Ylang-Ylangs seem to weaken towards the end, so that the scent doesn't really drift into heavily sultry flowery realms. Sandalwood, which is added in the base, is anyway a soft scent, which often smells pleasant and makes the scent even softer (but here somehow it is quite weak, because without the listing in the scent pyramid I probably wouldn't have noticed the sandalwood at all). The fragrance remains soft and beautiful, floral-sweet with light, spicy notes.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The Sillage is really good. I find it nice that the fragrance, despite its powerful charisma, radiates quite pleasantly softly and therefore does not appear obtrusive. But be careful, the scent is very powdery. I only mention this because some people write that they get headaches from very powdery scents. The shelf life is also quite good with its over ten hours.

The bottle:
The bottle is cylindrical, clear and narrows slightly towards the neck. The neck is also cylindrical and surrounded by gold-plated cords. It is finished off with a lid, the upper side of which represents an octagon. The label is black-silver and shows the name of the fragrance as well as a half star in Art Deco style. And if I'm not mistaken, the scent is a splash, so there's no spray head, right?? by the way, you can always correct me :)

So, I think the fragrance smells almost as good as Chanel's No 5 (EDP). A wonderful fragrance that starts with aldehydes and becomes more and more powdery and gentle, so that it lies wonderfully on the skin and thus again represents a great (and somewhat more mature-looking) fragrance especially for special moments and for going out in the autumn and winter months.

Who likes Chanel No 5 will also like this fragrance. But if you already own Chanel No 5, then I don't recommend this fragrance, as it is practically a doppelgänger (of course with some minor, but rather less noticeable differences). On the other hand, the probability that you will get your hands on this scent is rather lower in the meantime, which is of course a pity.

Well, that's it again from me and I hope you had fun reading. I wish you a nice evening and see you soon :)
7.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

Greetings from space.
In the old days, in the mid seventies, there was a television series: "Invasion of the Vega". A quite interesting, "youth-free" science fiction film, which was shown on ZDF every Wednesday from 18 to 19 hrs.
Today one would call such a thing "Schmarrn", at that time it was cult.
Strangers in spaceships wanted to "conquer" the earth, from the distant star world.
And I think that these "aliens" also wore scents, and also wanted to get to know the "earthly" ones.
Maybe one of them left the spaceship unrecognized in Paris and greedily "boarded" a Guerlain business, asking the salesmen holes in his stomach and letting himself be shown many a thing.
The many classics from "Jicky" to "Shalimar" were sniffed at and found to be good.
But ONE scent stood out, because it smelled like "home".
On a planet with a magnificent starry sky and a mild sun with eternal spring.
The fragrance "Vega" has the mild radiance of this sun. Aldehydes over flowery woody ground make him very "seductive".
An almost balsamic background makes even the grumpiest "visitor" smile.
Many a bottle of "Vega" probably travels in this way to a planet of the same name. Does anyone know anything about...?
7.5 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Vintage starlight
Few know that Jacques Guerlain had a significant interest in astronomy, and that he frequently pored over published dissertations on the subject. It is no surprise then, that in 1936 he came to draw inspiration from the 5th brightest star in the night sky, and one that has been referenced in ancient mythology for millennia: Véga.

Originally released in the iconic Baccarat "inkwell" flacon, Véga typified the new and innovative perfume stylings of the Art Deco age. Only 15 years earlier, Coco Chanel had released her aldehydic beast Chanel No.5 onto the world stage to great acclaim, which resulted in a mass tendency towards the use of aldehydes in perfumery. In answer to Chanel's ground-breaking creation, Jacques Guerlain released the aldehyde-rich luminous floral Liu in 1927, and revisited the aldehydic theme in Véga; though this time with a masterfully measured hand. Véga presented aldehydes in a vastly different manner - somehow scattered and diminished - as if the scent itself, much like starlight, had travelled for millennia across space and time.

Véga has all the markers of a classic aldehydic perfume but for one thing: a generous dose of vanilla. It opens with a sharp floral crispness that rushes to dry the back of the nose... bright neroli and ylang ylang accompany strong aldehydes through the topnotes, but a denser velvety heart of rose rests just under the surface. This strokeable rose accord harmonises with the powdery aspect of the aldehydes, and the whole heart of the perfume suddenly becomes very tactile. A dewy, thick vanilla note materialises, and adds a feeling of creamy, ambery warmth. This is where I feel Véga and other classic floral aldehydes diverge in style... it feels as if with Jacques Guerlain's interpretation, he has shifted the radio transmission a little 'off' to receive signals through a screen of white noise and static. The white/yellow florals are still there, but seem to be flourishing under a cream-coloured blanket of cashmere-soft vanilla. There is a lingering trail of subtle woods in the drydown: dry vetiver and what I expect might be fragrant sandalwood.

When pitted against the 2006 reissued version, the vintage Véga edt wins me over just by a hair. There just seems to be a celestial harmony between the notes that makes it slightly easier to wear than the modern release. As with the heavenly body itself, I feel the light of 1930's Véga might have changed ever-so-slightly in the time it has taken to reach us here in 2013.
5.0/10

A Near Miss...
Even though marketed to women, this scent is actually very unisex to my nose. It opens with a blast of lemon/bergamot mixed with a soapy accord and a mild powder undertone. The bergamot tones down a bit and the powder gains strength throughout Vegas' development. The powdery development is similar to many other Guerlain scents, with the first one immediately coming to mind being L'Instant. I think the powder and soap are a bit too much for me, and really not to my liking. That said, the scent is very wearable, and shows some skill from the nose responsible for it. 2 to 2.5 stars out of 5.
5.0 7.5 8.0/10

The Vanilla Affair
Thanks to dear Jella I was granted a bit of time with this diva, but she frequently brushed me off. Maybe the occasions were inappropriate, or I misbehaved, or it could have been the cold wind blowing in her ears that kept her from developing behind mine ...

The introduction reminded me a lot of Chanel's No 5, but soon the aldehydes and flowers gave way to a steadily increasing vanilla note - akin to a return from Chanel into Guerlain territory. Three hours later I perceived delicious cookie dough, though the buttery notes went as quickly as they had come.

The wind didn't blow us till Cyprus on our first date, for me the purportedly woody Chypré stayed hidden under a flower basket. But as noted above the vanilla kept gaining strength and I dozed off in a soft, warm pudding bowl with spices and incense.

On our second day we had more or less gotten accustomed to each other - after two hours of aldehydes she handed me a marvelous rose, then we went back to cake (Viennese Vanillekipferl for those in the know), spices, more vanilla, and the delicately woody Guerlinade basis.

The third time I took her to a party, but Vega was so contained in the large room with the open windows that not even my significant other noticed her much. After the aldehydes she became ever more quiet, only to completely vanish into the cigarette smoke that arose after the last children had left for bed without a goodbye.

I will keep a favorable memory of her and smell the last drop every now and then.

by DemonHead
by DemonHead
by Sumi
by Sumi
by Marta
by Marta
by Lilienfeld
by Lilienfeld
Logbuch: Vega auch Wega. Hauptstern des Sternbildes Leier (Lyra). Stratosphäre: Sehr aldehydisch.
by TomLavender
by Coriolon
by Swuuusch
by Swuuusch

Popular Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire (2012) (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Jicky (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Samsara (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain