Vetiver 1959Eau de Toilette

Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain
Bottle Design Robert Granai
Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for men and was released in 1959. The scent is green-spicy. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesOrange, Bergamot, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesNutmeg, Pepper
Base Notes Base NotesVetiver, Tobacco, Tonka bean

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 13.09.2020.

Can777
Le coeur vert/The green heart
Without question! I love both versions of vetiver, but I only wear the old formulation. Why is this so? Let's put it this way! Let's imagine that both versions are pictures of the same motif. One is painted in oil. You can see the traces of the brush on the canvas. You can feel the grooves and bumps as you glide your fingertips over them. You can see different warm light refractions and reflections on the surface when you move them around the oil painting. The other picture identical to the motif is a digital art print. It is printed on paper. The surface is clean, smooth and flawless. No ridges or bumps. There are no lows and highs. The reflections it throws back are distorted and blinding. It looks perfect, but is very cool and static! Personally I would prefer the oil painting. It's similar with vetiver in the old formulation!

I wore my first vetiver at twenty-one. This is now thirty years ago. I have been looking for a long time to get a bottle that is as old as possible and if possible goes back in time. And it still exists! However, I was more than lucky to get one of the really, really old bottles that were even sold with propellant for a short period. This one seems to be from the 70's in the early 80's. It is perfectly preserved both externally and internally. This version and formulation is virtually unchanged and unaltered. It is so to speak the quintessence of the old vetiver and still the old handwriting of Jean-Paul Guerlain!

Vetiver Vintage
If you spray the old formulation of vetiver on the skin, it is nothing charming, pleasing and gentle. The perfume is an elemental force and nothing for delicate minds and noses at first. It's as if all aromas and fragrances hit you in a bundle. Powerful, wild and quite unbridled. In a fraction of a second you can recognize the bergamot and citric, which quickly disappears. Immediately a green-brown, rich and almost fleshy tobacco is very present. Ripe and not yet harvested. A sultry, earthy and sweaty note is mixed with the oil of the gostus root. Accompanied by a slightly pungent and subliminal civet note. These two notes have completely disappeared in the new formulation. They were never officially mentioned in the fragrance pyramid, but were always present in minimal doses. By the way! Spicy, hot and crushed pepper and vetiver are also instantly recognizable. After about five minutes this tornado of aromas subsides and the fragrance calms down. It seems to disintegrate into its components and dissolve, which is deceptive and not the case. It just rearranges itself and comes up again. All the notes come together in perfection and harmony. Earthy and spicy nutmeg work their way up and the probably unique wild-green and smoky vetiver that gave it its name. After about a quarter of an hour, the fragrance no longer seems to be on the skin, but to float above it like a second transparent skin. Lightweight, but incredibly dense. The fragrance has something pulsating in its aura and charisma that is like a heartbeat. If you are calm and relaxed it is also. If you get hot, the perfume radiates immensely and pushes forward. Something that personally likes very much! In contrast to the new formulation, which tends to remain fresh and spicy, the old formulation has a slightly subliminal, warm, sweaty and human undertone with much more depth and warmth. The stronger concentration and density is already optically recognizable. If you place both versions next to each other, you can see that the older version looks like golden yellow camomile tea that has been drawn too long and the newer version looks like tender green, watered down wheatgrass juice. Concerning the shelf life, the old vetiver is far superior to the newer one. The shelf life is twelve to sixteen hours and even longer. On clothes even days. It's almost never completely gone!
Conclusion
Like I said. Both versions have their advantages, which are reflected not only in the composition but also in the price. An old version sometimes costs much more than a new version. But it is worth it if you want to have the old spirit of Jean-Paul Guerlain and his vetiver around you. A perfume that spreads an almost impudent and provocative, masculine and wild elegance. And this for sixty-one years now. You should only decide which version you want. The smooth, light and soft version or the rough, heavier and more angular version with much more depth. Each has its lovers and advantages. And to come back to my introduction...

I prefer the oil painting,... still!
EauSavage
La seconde Peau - pour Homme!
The second skin. Guerlain vetiver is not a fragrance, Guerlain vetiver is the second skin. Pure!

There are fragrances that need occasions or that cannot be worn on certain occasions. There are fragrances that are supposed to intensify our mood and sometimes they are just supposed to comfort us or make us happier. There are fragrances that are supposed to give us qualities. I can't. At best with a clever or simply intuitive choice they strengthen them. And there are fragrances that are supposed to give us everything we may lack: personality and character, prosperity or education, even attractiveness and - wow! - Masculinity. Compensation for spraying.

Guerlain Vetiver is not and does not need all this. We are what we are and our essence has the longest durability and the strongest projection and the most beautiful fragrance. Guerlain Vetiver is the second skin. He is nature and he is like and what we are.

For me, there is no other fragrance that is intended for an advertisement without people like Guerlain Vetiver:
I imagine a dewdrop falling from a blade of grass, sinking softly into brown earth, before the camera zooms in and shows the sunrise behind it. And then it goes in fast motion through endless green fields. Probably we pass fruit bushes and fruit trees and flower fields and probably we hear birds singing heartrending songs and yes, for sure we even see colourful butterflies dancing filigree before the journey ends in the blue hour in a dark green forest. But it does not need any details. We simply glide through this wonderful world.

Guerlain Vetiver is life and it is such a beautiful life!

We open our eyes and someone who loves us as much as his own skin has squeezed us fresh, ripe oranges and the glass that stands there on the bedside table has decorated it with a smile still with a slice of lemon. Because she still does magic even in small things! Joy warms our hearts and through the window shines golden an endlessly promising morning sun. This day will be a good day!
And breakfast is already set, and after a kiss that says it all, we get a full-bodied spicy, delicious coffee and now we are finally ready to go out into this world.
And what a fucking good day this is gonna be, we just know it. No matter where we are, the air is always green and always full and always delicious and gives us strength. And everything is light and carefree.
In the evening we treat ourselves to a cigarette or maybe two, as a reward and that's fine and we just enjoy it.

This is all Guerlain Vetiver. Pour Homme, because the vetiver is strong and the tobacco is dark.

Guerlain Vetiver is an evergreen in a double sense, it is eternally timeless and also seasonless, and it is always green and always invigorating.
FabianO has written these so apt and expressive words about it and I would like to quote him: "A fragrance, [...] but which then reveals how beautifully green penetrated a classic man can smell Chapeau! A vetiver on it!
Finally, I would like to take over a tradition from other comments, namely the 'song to the fragrance' and to this beautiful life. For me that would be Frank Sinatra with 'Little Green Apples'.
What it says is in it!
Vetiver in a very pure form. The fragrance reminds me of Lalique Encre Noire, but is not as deep and broad. The fragrance is very unagitated and that's great, it's vetiver through and through and hardly anything else. The vetiver smells pleasantly woody and slightly smoky, slightly earthy. I think for people who like vetiver this fragrance is highly recommended. Lasts easily 15 hours and is very valuable. Who knows and likes the Lalique EN will also like this fragrance. But the Encre Noire is the better choice for me because it is much more interesting

Skinbracer
Stopped at the tire store on the way to the barbershop
Made a blind purchase as I read and seen(youtube) so many positive reviews on Guerlain Vetiver, and with a great offer on ebay for only $9 more for a 200ml than the lowest price I can find for a 100ml, I thought I better jump on it. I know, what dummy buys a 200ml blind buy. I did, and at first regreted it for I wasn't to keen on the scent, but for reason I'll explain later in this review I'm glad I made the purchase.
First of all, the bottle I recieved is the one with the dark green cap and came in a silver box, not the silver cap with the green box.
When I first tried it I didn't like it too much, to me it smell citrusy, but rubbery. Like walking in a tire store that had citrus trees. It also smelled of grass, but not fresh cut grass, but grass with dirt. It does calm down after a while and the rubbery smell becomes a soapy smell, and combined with other notes I do get that nice barbershop smell. I'm not a big fan of barbershop smell, but is a nice smell when I'm in the mood for it, but don't want to smell like that every day. Thankfully, I didn't spend too much on the 200ml bottle, but I still had about 195ml to use. Don't feel like it's worth the bother to sell it, as it's not like selling a bottle of Creed or Tom Ford for big $. So I thought I try to mix it up with another fragrance I have that also didn't cost me much to hopefully take away that harsh rubbery opening and have something different when I'm not in the mood for a barbershop smell. So I took my Savile Row cologne which I like a lot but is a tad too floral, and did a 50/50 mix with GV in an optimizer. I think I created a masterpiece. I still will use GV by it self when I occasionally want that barbershop smell, but my custom GV/SR, I will wear often as its very versitile (work, night out, summer, spring, fall, mild winter days) and smells great.
From a dummy to a genious :)
Should anyone try that combo, it was actually 30 sprays of SR to 25 of GV as I thought the GV sprayer gave out more juice, so I figure that was close to a 50/50 mix. You can get Richard James Savile Row on ebay for $30/100ml, the last time I checked.

Love at first sniff
My immediate impression on this is that it reminds of the barbershop I attend to now and then. I love that scent. Now, this does not have lavender in it but the note of tobacco and vetiver come across as VERY manly. And that manliness is what reminds me of barbershops.

Honestly, I'm not too good at picking up notes so all I really get is a really smooth and dense and bitter tobacco note. I don't really know what vetiver smells like but maybe that's the vetiver.

Regardless, the blend of tobacco and vetiver is incredible. I am so glad it is a affordable scent as I can imagine folks pay big bucks for the scent. This is definitely a bang for buck fragrance as it really has a classic and formal vibe to it. However, don't think you can't wear this casually. I can totally pull this off wearing T shirt and jeans.

Great Great scent from guerlain, I wish I bought the 200ml to begin with but..you can learn from my lesson.
LOVE IT!
Volker1964
Guerlain makes vetiver elegant and pleasant
I find vetiver fragrances interesting and exciting. I have already tested some vetiver scents. I was not yet 100% convinced. Convinces Guerlain Vetiver ?
Top note
Beautiful, pleasant freshness meets subtle fruity notes. Well presented and balanced. Bergamot flatters the whole thing quite skillfully and elegantly.
Heart note
In the heart note, the fragrance becomes spicier without exaggerating, which means it remains pleasant. A lighter peppery note is there, but more in the background.
Base note
Here vetiver comes into its own wonderfully, carried by a piquant spice with a medium-strong tobacco note.
Conclusion
A mMn very successful vetiver fragrance from Guerlain. Vetiver plays the leading role, but the 'supporting actors' are also convincing. It remains balanced and elegant until the end. For me a fragrance for the cooler days at work and in my free time. It lasts about 6-8 hours with me

I blind bought this together with Habit Rouge
Ah how these reviews got me interested in experimenting... but unfortunately, I just don’t think the Guerlain line appeals to me very much. They might just be TOO “classical” for my taste.

I get a VERY “grassy” feel in this one; not a bad scent by any means... it is indeed a very NICE grassy feel that slowly builds after the citrus/lemon opening begins to fade out, it’s just not my “flavor”. A little too “mature” for me; it gives off a kind of “Doctor-ish” or “Professor-ish” feel. A kind of “intimidating intelligent alpha” vibe. Actually both of them (Habit Rouge and Vetiver) feel rather “mature” in how they wear on my skin, and the longevity on them is really quite short lived on me

I’ll hold on to both of them, as I’d be very interested in any ideas for “layering” them, but I don’t think I’ll be sporting them “solo” very often.

Edit 5/9/2020: Well, being in this pandemic lockdown, stay at home society has had me using this one more; and it’s grown on me. It’s more in the dry down stage that I’m enjoying it... it IS quite addicting. A full, powerful, alpha wavelength that lasts about 6 hours or so as a skin scent. The projection isn’t very far (maybe 2ft maximum), and the sillage trail is minimal, but the clean, soapy aroma has me smiling, and it just goes to show you that a scent CAN grow on you (or me at least).
Comed
4 reformulations, 4 scents?
Since 1959 there is this great fragrance and I have tested and analyzed the last 4 reformulations for me. The result may help you to identify the different versions and to classify them better:

1. Vintage version, brown liquid (before the year 2000)

Top note: citrus+, tobacco+++
Drydown: Vetiver+, Tobacco+++
Heat: +++
Green: 0
Projection: 0
Shelf life: +
Note: Vetiver as an accessory to fine cut tobacco, after an unspectacular prelude unfortunately quickly up close

2. Milk glass, wide bottle, green liquid (in the years 2000-2011)

Top note: Citrus++, Tobacco++
Drydown: Vetiver++, Tobacco++
Heat: +
Green: +
Shelf life: ++
Note: completely new composition, vetiver appears green, cool and sober, tobacco is only prominent in the top note, in the drydown then harmonious tobacco vetiver next to each other

3. Silver cap, slender bottle, curved "Guerlain" logo, green liquid, green packaging (2011-2016)

Top note: Citrus++, Tobacco+
Drydown: Vetiver++, Tobacco++
Heat: ++
Green: +
Shelf life: +
Remark: looks harmonious from the beginning, also in the drydown vetiver and tobacco well balanced, corners and edges were sanded out, composition again a little warmer

4. Synthetic wood cap, high bottle, simple "Guerlain" lettering, green liquid, grey standard packaging (since 2016)

Top note: citrus+++, tobacco+
Drydown: vetiver++, tobacco+
Heat: +
Green: ++
Shelf life: +
Note: Prominent lemon in prelude, much less tobacco, in drydown harsh vetiver turns green, slightly dull, warmth was reduced again

Over time, the conditions of vetiver and tobacco have changed greatly. In summary, it can be said that tobacco has been further and further reduced. In return, the fragrance became ever more vetiver-green and the top note ever more citrus-rich.

I wouldn't go so far as to describe the 4 versions as separate fragrances. Also the topic of the "smoking gardener" is still present. But he smokes much less than before, which probably fits better into our non-smoking society. ;)

A Summer Meadow In A Bottle
Imagine if you will a summery meadow early in the morning with droplets of dew hanging off the green grass. On the edge of the meadow is a forest with the sunlight shimmering through the branches of the trees that are swaying from a gentle breeze.

Imagine still that you are on your morning walk through the countryside and stop to inhale the breeze that is coming from this summery meadow.

The first thing that caresses your senses is a fresh green grassy smell that is beautiful and airy and seems to capture the essence of mother nature.

This is what I get when I smell Guerlains Vetiver, beautiful complex green fresh smell. It's a Summer meadow in a bottle.

Carlitos01
Vétiver ou Vétiver Extréme, mais toujours Guerlain, bien sûre!
Vétiver has become a common name through perfume wearers, a name as common as lavander, wood or lemon. Nevertheless vétiver as a raw material is almost unknown by the majority of the vétiver enthusiasts. In perfumery, vétiver is an essence extracted from an Eastern Asian weed grass called "chrysopogon zizanioides" or "vetiveria zizanioides". It's usually classified as a woody scent. It exhales a dry, musty and woody aroma and is associated to masculine fragrances. Rest assured as well that the vétiver is a gender defying note as it is successful blended in many feminine perfumes. Depending on its varieties, vétiver accords may present bitter chocolate, woody, smoky. earthy, loamy, warm, nutty, spicy and green facets.
The iconic vétiver designer for the last few decades is Guerlain with Vetiver and Vetiver Extreme. Guerlain Vétiver has been out there forever, and deserves its reputation as "The Vetiver Fragrance". You can’t go wrong with the current iterations as a starting point for a vétiver fragrance. Just start here to get the full-on vétiver experience. With both Guerlain Vétiver perfumes you’ve tried one of the best, and you can now move on to other vétiver experiences. Older Guerlain vétiver formulations are brighter, with more lemon and bergamot. The later EDTs are dryer, more austere and less sunny.

Guerlain Vétiver has been launched in 1959 - contemporary of Cabochard - and aimed at a fresh, woody, natural, sober and elegant fragrance.
The fragrance opens on the spontaneous, glittering freshness of citrus fruits namely orange, bergamot and lemon. At the heart, spices such as nutmeg and pepper intensify the fragrance, before giving way to an once innovative accord in perfumery, crafted on the basis of vetiver, tonka bean, nutmeg and tobacco, a fresh and woody accord for a fragrance with sheer cool and clean elegance.

With Vétiver Extrême launched in 2007, Guerlain offers a different and original interpretation of Vétiver. Whereas one is fresh and woody, the other is just as woody but more aromatic. Ever loyal to the original framework, this extreme accord is more intense.
The fragrance opens with orange spicy floral hints through the bergamot note enhanced with lemon. At the heart, pepper and nutmeg are blended in a stimulating elegant accord. Then comes vetiver, which deploys all of its woody sensuality on the skin thanks to the help of the cedar austerity and the bittersweet almond facet of tonka bean.

Let's see how Vétiver (V) and Vétiver Extreme (VE) compare with each other through scoring:
______________________(V)__________(VE)___________________________________________________
Scent opening............9.0.................9.0 (Similar citrus accords mastered by Guerlain)
Scent Dry Down.........9.0.................8.5 (V is more alluring and VE is more intense)
Longevity (h) ..............8.0.................8.5 (VE has a slightly bigger longevity than 9 hours
while V has less than 9 hours)
Sillage (ft)....................8.0.................8.5 (V: up to 5-6 ft /2 h projection; VE: 6-7 ft /2.5 h)
Versatility....................8.5.................8.5 (above average for fresh fragrances)
Usability......................9.0.................9.0 (Literally everywhere except very cold outdoors)
Compliments..............8.25...............8.5 (Both scents are good at attracting compliments)
Uniqueness.................9.0.................8.0 (V has been quite innovative; VE is a flanker)
Quality........................ 9.5.................9.5 (quite high in both cases)
Presentation...............7.5.................7.5 (a matter of opinion)
Price.............................8.5.................8.5 (V: €30 / 100 ml + taxes; VE: €30/100 ml+taxes;
Testers are € 5.0 cheaper )
_______________________(V)__________(VE)__________________________________________________

- Average:................8.57/10.0.........8.55/10.0
between 7 and 8 => above average;
between 8 and 9 => recommended;
equal or bigger than 9 => don't miss it;

Opinion on this fraternal match:
Both fragrances are very good and provide a similar satisfaction. Value for money is quite high in both cases. The choice only depends on your personal taste. You may decide for the more aromatic and intense one or for the more formal, alluring and a tiny less intense one.
Recommended? I recommend both fragrances.
Blind buy worthy? Yes for any of the Vétiver versions.

Music: Elvis Presley - "Green Green Grass Of Home"

HugoMontezHugoMontez 18 days ago
Timeless masculine. A citrus blast in the opening, a green vetiver and a touch of tobacco in the drydown. 5/5
KimJongKimJong 8 months ago
It is greener than before and I love more this reformed version.
SergioTSergioT 8 months ago
The vetiver scent by wich every other vetiver scent is compared with. Not my favorite but one of the most versatile and classy. Eternal
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 20 months ago
This baby right here put Grey Vetiver outside of my fragrance game. Absolute masterpiece. Clean, classy and charming with a creamy base.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 20 months ago
Guerlain Vétiver deserves the reputation of "The Vetiver Fragrance" being fresh, woody, natural, sober, alluring and elegant since 1959!
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
One of the most root, smoky, elegant, and classy interpretation of the wondrous and versatile vetiver. Flawless on a calescent summer night!
LillibetLillibet 3 years ago
Opens with mint & citrus over anise, a little jasmine & (of course) vetiver. Perfect for a crisp & pulled together Monday at the office.

by Kovex
by Moenti
by Mustang69
by Mustang69
by Landlord
Guerlain - Vetiver (1959)
by Morpheus1
LE COEUR VERT
by Can777
by Shivsri13
by Shivsri13
by Slickadam
Guerlain - Vetiver (1959)
by Morpheus1
by Fivetoes74
by Malik
by Malik

Popular Guerlain

Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Cologne) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain