Vetiver 1959 Eau de Toilette

Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain
Bottle Design Robert Granai
Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for men and was released in 1959. The scent is green-spicy. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Green Vetiver

Top Notes Top NotesOrangeOrange BergamotBergamot LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesNutmegNutmeg PepperPepper
Base Notes Base NotesVetiverVetiver TobaccoTobacco Tonka beanTonka bean

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 14.05.2022.

Razvanyke
Is oldschool the best school?
I must say that until the pandemic started I was kind of a passive perfume lover, I had about 4 bottles in the bathroom and that was that.

Since a few years I discovered more and more about the perfume world, perfume houses and also their creations. I owned the DIOR Vetiver which many consider the "Holy Grail" in what regards Vetiver perfumery. But there was a problem in having that one, and that problem is called Guerlain.

I got a Guerlain EDT Vetiver sample from a Sharing because I was curious to see how it is and then "it hit me" .. this smells painfully similar to the DIOR, for a fraction of the cost.

This scent starts very bold with the specific green Vetiver power, but then gets right away toned down by the lovely orange and bergamot to give it almost a summery feel. The spiciness comes later, but all is gravitating around Vetiver, you will not forget one minute what you are wearing.

Vetiver with its earthy note, might be quite challenging for most of the people if not blended well with some supporting notes like Bergamot, Orange, Frankincense, Coffee or Tonka Beans. And what a job has Jean Paul Guerlain did in 1959 .. something which feels to me as modern and addictive today in 2022 as it was 60 years ago.

The modern perfumery with lots of notes, aromachemicals and ambroxan is maybe a trend which hopefully will go away, like a summer song .. but classics like Habit Rouge and Vetiver from Guerlain, are here to stay.

The beginning of vetivers
I decided to buy a few new fragrances the summer I turned 40 years. Mature was what I had on my mind. Guerlain’s Vetiver was the first one that I bought that summer. I recall spraying it for the first time and thinking ”oh no, what is this, can’t wear it”. My spouse got a bout of migraine that evening, reportedly due to the scent.

I reapplied the scent the next day. While I was still hesitant I also recognized something in it that kept me intrigued. Fast forward to some weeks later. We’re taking a day trip with the family to a beach resort down south. It was on this trip that I finally understood Vetiver. It’s been one of my favourites ever since.

The scent is not of this day and age. For that you have Tom Ford’s equivalent. Whereas Tom is fresh, sharp and sleek, the original starts off with a round citrus scent consisting of bergamot and hint of lemon. There’s spice (nutmeg) with tobacco filling the space. Both share a rooty, earthy and slightly smoky vetiver note. Tom is the young professional in a suit. Guerlain is your 60-ish or so grey haired, confident and, perhaps, tattooed uncle who seen most of it, knows the art of not giving a s*it yet is there to comfort you when needed. Timeless.

PauloViegas
When craziness comes to town, just tilt your head down
The bright sunny days of spring that await us every year have been bottled over 60 years ago. The clear skies and vegetal freshness that we engulf at every breath seem to have been captured in this most amazing scent.
I have never beem one to associate a smell with a man or a woman. Never anything smelt to me as either feminine or masculine, although, of course, I associate some scents or perfumes with a person. My mother used to wear N°5 (cliché, right?) when I was a little boy. That scent profile got carved into my childhood memory as the scent of my mother. Now, years and years have passed and she hasn't worn it since those days. So I bought it for myself. My memories have been shattered. That is no longer my mother's scent. Not that it doesn't smell the same! The first time I sprayed my new bottle it all came back. But it all went to pieces as soon as I started to wear it.
Vetiver has never been in my olfactive memory. Yet, some kind of immemorial past came to me. This is the one scent that I smell and think: this is masculinity. Don't get me wrong, this would be perfect on a woman also! But the way that I perform my masculinity is captured in thia scent. Soft, airy, contemplative. Fluid with like water the first rain after a long period of drought.
If you think of yourself as a son of spring, an ever growing part of this wretched world that we always find too soon to abandon, then embrace the calm arms of this perfume and lie on the floor with us, looking at the treetops for a moment that shall not pass.
TomThumb
A love story in matte green
Vetiver is an allegory of fairytale romance. The time is the Belle Époque and the setting an autumnal London. Just now the soft evening lights begin to shine, light rain falls on the heavy woolen coats of the comfortably strolling gentlemen, it is still pleasantly warm.
Just then an equipage rolls up and a well-groomed middle-aged man gets out. He is the typical old English nobleman: distinctly formal, conservative and always in control. A perfect moustache adorns his attentive face. His eau de toilette is both elegant and time-honored. Tart lemon and sharp orange with a subtle soapiness keep his exhausted mind alert. He smokes Russian cigarettes.

Suddenly, something catches his eye. A gentle but deliberate woody scent. He turns around and is enchanted in one fell swoop. Before him stands a woman, oriental, Indian perhaps; the most beautiful creature he had ever laid eyes on. This could not be! How could he fall for such a strange, extraordinary apparition? Yet he had already offered her a fine French chocolate...

The two met daily. An intimate love affair, under the utmost discretion of course. In the evenings in the room, after their passionate meetings, it smelled of vetiver.

This fragrance is for me in its composition as perfect, as a fantastic love affair! The prelude takes that elegant freshness of tart citrus and ethereal, cool sharp bergamot. Subtle pepper and a light note of nutmeg provide a spicy tingle. Cold tobacco and tangy lime juice with cinnamon add further complex depth to the fragrance. Also, a sweet green lavender awakens now and then.
I perceive the fragrance in its quality as pure and unclouded-dynamic.

After about ten minutes, the vetiver then asserts itself with a powerful volume and provides this Indian spice aroma. The woody, sweet vetiver is down-to-earth rustic, yet pure and exquisite. He quickly determines the character of the fragrance.
In the further development, which remains quite exciting, emerge for me hot-soft pimento pepper, sweet, old wood and a cleansing bergamot. In the process, nothing of the original qualities is lost.

Vetiver is almost perfect for me in its purity and finesse. He awakens quite a lot, actually sensual sensations and is extremely distinguished to wear.
What is time

We have grown older
But nothing has changed
...
Okarina
A classic for a good reason
This is a fragrance I can go back to again and again. Many of my scents I prefer in certain weather conditions or at one time of year - but this one wears well throughout the year. On cool days, smoky vétiver notes warm. On warm days, the fresher notes come out.
For me, still better than all other vetiver fragrances that were so recommended to me and run across the way: Chanel Sycomore or Hermes Vetiver Tonka. With those comes out a (for my nose) somewhat plastic note, which I do not like.

With the Guerlain Vetiver competes with me only Chanel 19
Salva
In the soft morning light of the earth....
If I claim that Guerlain is probably my favorite house, then there will probably be something to it. This already 1828 founded cosmetics company had me after only a few months Parfumo affiliation in the spell pulled, since their fragrances meet my taste as much as hardly any other brand does it.
[...]

Pierre-François Guerlain created at that time with his two sons the first fragrances. Quickly they were able to expand and the rapid success culminated with the production of the 'Eau de Cologne Impériale' in 1853. Empress Eugénie, the then wife of Napoleon, was given this fragrance for her marriage to that emperor, whereby P.F. Guerlain the reputation as a royal court perfumer preceded. For in addition to Napoleon's wife, Queen Victoria (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland) and Isabella II (Spain) were also among his customers. (Spain) likewise to his customers.

After the death of the founder's P.F. Guerlain led his sons the happening further and the enterprise remained until 1994, thus purely into the fourth generation, in the hand of the own family. The founder's great-grandson, Jean-Pascal Guerlain, was the last owner and also chief perfumer of the house, before it was unfortunately ceded to LVMH (Louis Vuitton Moët Hennessy).

Jean Pascal is among other things behind the creation of Ur-classics such as Habit Rouge, Héritage or even Jardins de Bagatelle. But before all these dream fragrances, he created the Vetiver in 1959, which is considered his first specially produced fragrance.
[...]

The Vetiver note is probably considered one of my three most loved ingredients, along with Patchouli and Lavender. And I have hardly ever smelled such a finely and nobly integrated vetiver, as in this wonderful perfume.

Already when smelling the spray head, the fragrance reveals this certain and typical DNA, which I always make out in the men's Guerlains. It is namely this "Guerlain freshness", which always catches the eye (or rather rises to the nose) in the classics known to me and I find so insanely beautiful.

The Guerlain Vetiver begins with a spicy-esperidic accord of intense lemon/bergamot paired with subtle pepper. This is but no pungent or slightly itchy pepper as one might think, but in a very harmonious way spicy-herbaceous. Surely the nutmeg will support this impression here also additionally, because this is said among other things also a slightly peppery property.

In the further course, the fragrance retains its wonderful freshness, without losing the hesperidic nuances; even quite the opposite. These remain until the base, but the initial spicy touch is moved into the background.

In the base then mixes the main ingredient, namely vetiver, just with that citrus / bergamot mix to a truly dreamlike fragrance of green-earthy soul with citrus hints. These are combined with each other so harmoniously that I am of the opinion to have smelled to date no such beautiful vetiver perfume, which also carries this designation in the name.
[...]

It's definitely a perfume with signature aura and can be worn on any day, time or occasion without a second thought. For a fundamentally fresh fragrance, it also stands out with a very decent durability of about 6-7h and as almost in typical Guerlain fashion, it is overall rather more restrained in terms of sillage. But so-called. "Sillage monster" and Guerlain? No, that would not fit together in my opinion anyway.
Conclusion:

Pierre-François Guerlain coined the following guiding principle: "Make good products, never neglect quality. Have simple ideas and carry them out conscientiously."

Well, I think the good gentleman hit the nail on the head there.

Surprisingly, I discovered this fragrance for myself relatively late. But now I have this timelessly elegant Frenchman and know that he belongs to me.
[...]
A fragrance that makes me feel like I'm emerging from the earth in the soft light of morning...

[...]

Thank you so much for reading!

Original Vetiver
Perfume discovery can work itself backwards sometimes. After a few years of trying more modern, highly regarded vetivers, I finally came around to today's version of the Guerlain original. I want to note that after recording this review, I tried a version from the older ribbed bottle and that was even better. Hope you enjoy

HeavensScent
this must be what heaven smells like
Almost everything has already been said about this fragrance. For me, a perfume for the ages. Beautifully balanced, opens with a soft citrus note and flows into pleasantly grassy vetiver. It's lovely. Why can't anyone do this anymore? Next to it, all these modern and obtrusively overbred sauvages and 1 Millions seem like embarrassingly pimped plastic Lamborghinis next to a beautiful Aston DB5

Kurai
Nice touch of nutmeg and tobacco
If i knew upfront that nutmeg played such a prominent role, maybe I wouldn't have bought it. It took me by surprise, but it works just lovely.

It opens with spices and citrus. I get a medicinal vibe and dry hay. Ah the vetiver comes through. In the background there's a hint of tobacco. Not damp or heavy, just a friendly type of tobacco. A faint floral, can't identify it. And the nutmeg just keeps tickling my nose. This juice is bright and uplifting!

Into the middle a bit more woods. The citrus, spice and tobacco melange is still doing an amazing job along with the vetiver. Overall it gives me a clean and comfortable feel, without getting barbershop soapy. I do vaguely get flashbacks at this stage. The scent remains in this steady state and lasts for a few hours easily.

It's autumn now. I hope this fragrance will hold its brightness in warmer weather conditions.

MikaelMikael 6 days ago
A classic, a staple in every serious collection. I prefer to wear this in the early spring: coriander, tobacco and earthy, fresh vetiver.
50something50something 4 months ago
The first time I wore this I almost sold it. A year later, it’s in my top 5 and I’m thinking about backup bottles. 9.7/10!
BertolucciKBertolucciK 7 months ago
Vetiver with the classic Guerlain touch. The scent is green, spicy, earthy, with a fresh citrusy opening and a slightly woody base.
Shafkat82Shafkat82 1 year ago
Its like signature scent type, if you are 35+ . For mature nose and if you like manly perfume . Excellent for office environment.
MrLimuzinMrLimuzin 1 year ago
An uncommonly exceptional blend in a common (easy to find) fragrance. Tried-and-true, a classic masterpiece.
JayNayJayNay 1 year ago
Class A frag for the mature men so it can be admired by mature women. Unique scent, a bit old school but still great today.
BielwenassBielwenass 2 years ago
I know it's a classic, but the vetiver here comes across as overly tart and medicinal.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 2 years ago
Timeless masculine. A citrus blast in the opening, a green vetiver and a touch of tobacco in the drydown. 5/5
KimJongKimJong 2 years ago
It is greener than before and I love more this reformed version.
SergioTSergioT 2 years ago
The vetiver scent by wich every other vetiver scent is compared with. Not my favorite but one of the most versatile and classy. Eternal

friesisch-französisch-würzisch-lieb'isch
friesisch erfrischend.franzöisch herb
by Kovex
by Kovex
by EauMySoul
by EauMySoul
Vetiver rouge spielt verstecken (Rotrasenjacke)
LE COEUR VERT
by Can777
by Dibella
by Dibella
by Rivegauche
Ein wenig in der Sonne chillen!
by Salva
Layering for men.
by EauSavage
by Mustang69
by Mustang69
by Landlord
Guerlain - Vetiver (1959)
by Shivsri13
by Shivsri13
by Leons
Guerlain - Vetiver (1959)
by Cincy
by Estbienla
die version gab es von 2000 bis 2010
by MrFumejunkie
by MrFumejunkie
The OG and the best in the game.
by Razvanyke
by Fivetoes74
by Malik
by Malik

Popular by Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Shalimar Millésime Vanilla Planifolia by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain