Vetiver 1959 Eau de Toilette

Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain
Bottle Design Robert Granai
Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for men and was released in 1959. The scent is green-spicy. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Green Vetiver

PepperPepper
Base Notes Base NotesVetiverVetiver
TobaccoTobacco
Tonka beanTonka bean

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 27.07.2021.

What is time

We have grown older
But nothing has changed
...
Okarina
A classic for a good reason
This is a fragrance I can go back to again and again. Many of my scents I prefer in certain weather conditions or at one time of year - but this one wears well throughout the year. On cool days, smoky vétiver notes warm. On warm days, the fresher notes come out.
For me, still better than all other vetiver fragrances that were so recommended to me and run across the way: Chanel Sycomore or Hermes Vetiver Tonka. With those comes out a (for my nose) somewhat plastic note, which I do not like.

With the Guerlain Vetiver competes with me only Chanel 19
Salva
In the soft morning light of the earth....
If I claim that Guerlain is probably my favorite house, then there will probably be something to it. This already 1828 founded cosmetics company had me after only a few months Parfumo affiliation in the spell pulled, since their fragrances meet my taste as much as hardly any other brand does it.
[...]

Pierre-François Guerlain created at that time with his two sons the first fragrances. Quickly they were able to expand and the rapid success culminated with the production of the 'Eau de Cologne Impériale' in 1853. Empress Eugénie, the then wife of Napoleon, was given this fragrance for her marriage to that emperor, whereby P.F. Guerlain the reputation as a royal court perfumer preceded. For in addition to Napoleon's wife, Queen Victoria (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland) and Isabella II (Spain) were also among his customers. (Spain) likewise to his customers.

After the death of the founder's P.F. Guerlain led his sons the happening further and the enterprise remained until 1994, thus purely into the fourth generation, in the hand of the own family. The founder's great-grandson, Jean-Pascal Guerlain, was the last owner and also chief perfumer of the house, before it was unfortunately ceded to LVMH (Louis Vuitton Moët Hennessy).

Jean Pascal is among other things behind the creation of Ur-classics such as Habit Rouge, Héritage or even Jardins de Bagatelle. But before all these dream fragrances, he created the Vetiver in 1959, which is considered his first specially produced fragrance.
[...]

The Vetiver note is probably considered one of my three most loved ingredients, along with Patchouli and Lavender. And I have hardly ever smelled such a finely and nobly integrated vetiver, as in this wonderful perfume.

Already when smelling the spray head, the fragrance reveals this certain and typical DNA, which I always make out in the men's Guerlains. It is namely this "Guerlain freshness", which always catches the eye (or rather rises to the nose) in the classics known to me and I find so insanely beautiful.

The Guerlain Vetiver begins with a spicy-esperidic accord of intense lemon/bergamot paired with subtle pepper. This is but no pungent or slightly itchy pepper as one might think, but in a very harmonious way spicy-herbaceous. Surely the nutmeg will support this impression here also additionally, because this is said among other things also a slightly peppery property.

In the further course, the fragrance retains its wonderful freshness, without losing the hesperidic nuances; even quite the opposite. These remain until the base, but the initial spicy touch is moved into the background.

In the base then mixes the main ingredient, namely vetiver, just with that citrus / bergamot mix to a truly dreamlike fragrance of green-earthy soul with citrus hints. These are combined with each other so harmoniously that I am of the opinion to have smelled to date no such beautiful vetiver perfume, which also carries this designation in the name.
[...]

It's definitely a perfume with signature aura and can be worn on any day, time or occasion without a second thought. For a fundamentally fresh fragrance, it also stands out with a very decent durability of about 6-7h and as almost in typical Guerlain fashion, it is overall rather more restrained in terms of sillage. But so-called. "Sillage monster" and Guerlain? No, that would not fit together in my opinion anyway.
Conclusion:

Pierre-François Guerlain coined the following guiding principle: "Make good products, never neglect quality. Have simple ideas and carry them out conscientiously."

Well, I think the good gentleman hit the nail on the head there.

Surprisingly, I discovered this fragrance for myself relatively late. But now I have this timelessly elegant Frenchman and know that he belongs to me.
[...]
A fragrance that makes me feel like I'm emerging from the earth in the soft light of morning...

[...]

Thank you so much for reading!

Original Vetiver
Perfume discovery can work itself backwards sometimes. After a few years of trying more modern, highly regarded vetivers, I finally came around to today's version of the Guerlain original. I want to note that after recording this review, I tried a version from the older ribbed bottle and that was even better. Hope you enjoy

HeavensScent
this must be what heaven smells like
Almost everything has already been said about this fragrance. For me, a perfume for the ages. Beautifully balanced, opens with a soft citrus note and flows into pleasantly grassy vetiver. It's lovely. Why can't anyone do this anymore? Next to it, all these modern and obtrusively overbred sauvages and 1 Millions seem like embarrassingly pimped plastic Lamborghinis next to a beautiful Aston DB5

Kurai
Nice touch of nutmeg and tobacco
If i knew upfront that nutmeg played such a prominent role, maybe I wouldn't have bought it. It took me by surprise, but it works just lovely.

It opens with spices and citrus. I get a medicinal vibe and dry hay. Ah the vetiver comes through. In the background there's a hint of tobacco. Not damp or heavy, just a friendly type of tobacco. A faint floral, can't identify it. And the nutmeg just keeps tickling my nose. This juice is bright and uplifting!

Into the middle a bit more woods. The citrus, spice and tobacco melange is still doing an amazing job along with the vetiver. Overall it gives me a clean and comfortable feel, without getting barbershop soapy. I do vaguely get flashbacks at this stage. The scent remains in this steady state and lasts for a few hours easily.

It's autumn now. I hope this fragrance will hold its brightness in warmer weather conditions.

Soapy Vetiver
There are 3 different categories of Vetiver based scents. The dry-earthy category, the more recent gourmand category and the classical soapy one. This is an example of the old style. I one of the best vetivers around. A true mark in fragrance history.
My review is based on my current bottle, which is the square frosted one. I had some decants of the current version in the HR style bottle with green cap and it's definitely watered down, lasts only 5h and more is slightly more fresh, with less tobacco.
It's a very linear scent. Basically starts with vetiver, bergamot and dry tobacco and it ends like that, just with less bergamot.
A great office scent, classy, refined, masculine, timeless.
If you want a versatile masculine vetiver, search no more.
This one lasts all day (12h+) and has a good bubble around you. Doesn't project like a monster though. It's more around you.
A masterpiece that everyone should have.
5/5

Can777
Le coeur vert/The green heart
Without question! I love both versions of vetiver, but I only wear the old formulation. Why is this so? Let's put it this way! Let's imagine that both versions are pictures of the same motif. One is painted in oil. You can see the traces of the brush on the canvas. You can feel the grooves and bumps as you glide your fingertips over them. You can see different warm light refractions and reflections on the surface when you move them around the oil painting. The other picture identical to the motif is a digital art print. It is printed on paper. The surface is clean, smooth and flawless. No ridges or bumps. There are no lows and highs. The reflections it throws back are distorted and blinding. It looks perfect, but is very cool and static! Personally I would prefer the oil painting. It's similar with vetiver in the old formulation!

I wore my first vetiver at twenty-one. This is now thirty years ago. I have been looking for a long time to get a bottle that is as old as possible and if possible goes back in time. And it still exists! However, I was more than lucky to get one of the really, really old bottles that were even sold with propellant for a short period. This one seems to be from the 70's in the early 80's. It is perfectly preserved both externally and internally. This version and formulation is virtually unchanged and unaltered. It is so to speak the quintessence of the old vetiver and still the old handwriting of Jean-Paul Guerlain!

Vetiver Vintage
If you spray the old formulation of vetiver on the skin, it is nothing charming, pleasing and gentle. The perfume is an elemental force and nothing for delicate minds and noses at first. It's as if all aromas and fragrances hit you in a bundle. Powerful, wild and quite unbridled. In a fraction of a second you can recognize the bergamot and citric, which quickly disappears. Immediately a green-brown, rich and almost fleshy tobacco is very present. Ripe and not yet harvested. A sultry, earthy and sweaty note is mixed with the oil of the gostus root. Accompanied by a slightly pungent and subliminal civet note. These two notes have completely disappeared in the new formulation. They were never officially mentioned in the fragrance pyramid, but were always present in minimal doses. By the way! Spicy, hot and crushed pepper and vetiver are also instantly recognizable. After about five minutes this tornado of aromas subsides and the fragrance calms down. It seems to disintegrate into its components and dissolve, which is deceptive and not the case. It just rearranges itself and comes up again. All the notes come together in perfection and harmony. Earthy and spicy nutmeg work their way up and the probably unique wild-green and smoky vetiver that gave it its name. After about a quarter of an hour, the fragrance no longer seems to be on the skin, but to float above it like a second transparent skin. Lightweight, but incredibly dense. The fragrance has something pulsating in its aura and charisma that is like a heartbeat. If you are calm and relaxed it is also. If you get hot, the perfume radiates immensely and pushes forward. Something that personally likes very much! In contrast to the new formulation, which tends to remain fresh and spicy, the old formulation has a slightly subliminal, warm, sweaty and human undertone with much more depth and warmth. The stronger concentration and density is already optically recognizable. If you place both versions next to each other, you can see that the older version looks like golden yellow camomile tea that has been drawn too long and the newer version looks like tender green, watered down wheatgrass juice. Concerning the shelf life, the old vetiver is far superior to the newer one. The shelf life is twelve to sixteen hours and even longer. On clothes even days. It's almost never completely gone!
Conclusion
Like I said. Both versions have their advantages, which are reflected not only in the composition but also in the price. An old version sometimes costs much more than a new version. But it is worth it if you want to have the old spirit of Jean-Paul Guerlain and his vetiver around you. A perfume that spreads an almost impudent and provocative, masculine and wild elegance. And this for sixty-one years now. You should only decide which version you want. The smooth, light and soft version or the rough, heavier and more angular version with much more depth. Each has its lovers and advantages. And to come back to my introduction...

I prefer the oil painting,... still!
What it says is in it!
Vetiver in a very pure form. The fragrance reminds me of Lalique Encre Noire, but is not as deep and broad. The fragrance is very unagitated and that's great, it's vetiver through and through and hardly anything else. The vetiver smells pleasantly woody and slightly smoky, slightly earthy. I think for people who like vetiver this fragrance is highly recommended. Lasts easily 15 hours and is very valuable. Who knows and likes the Lalique EN will also like this fragrance. But the Encre Noire is the better choice for me because it is much more interesting

Skinbracer
Stopped at the tire store on the way to the barbershop
Made a blind purchase as I read and seen(youtube) so many positive reviews on Guerlain Vetiver, and with a great offer on ebay for only $9 more for a 200ml than the lowest price I can find for a 100ml, I thought I better jump on it. I know, what dummy buys a 200ml blind buy. I did, and at first regreted it for I wasn't to keen on the scent, but for reason I'll explain later in this review I'm glad I made the purchase.
First of all, the bottle I recieved is the one with the dark green cap and came in a silver box, not the silver cap with the green box.
When I first tried it I didn't like it too much, to me it smell citrusy, but rubbery. Like walking in a tire store that had citrus trees. It also smelled of grass, but not fresh cut grass, but grass with dirt. It does calm down after a while and the rubbery smell becomes a soapy smell, and combined with other notes I do get that nice barbershop smell. I'm not a big fan of barbershop smell, but is a nice smell when I'm in the mood for it, but don't want to smell like that every day. Thankfully, I didn't spend too much on the 200ml bottle, but I still had about 195ml to use. Don't feel like it's worth the bother to sell it, as it's not like selling a bottle of Creed or Tom Ford for big $. So I thought I try to mix it up with another fragrance I have that also didn't cost me much to hopefully take away that harsh rubbery opening and have something different when I'm not in the mood for a barbershop smell. So I took my Savile Row cologne which I like a lot but is a tad too floral, and did a 50/50 mix with GV in an optimizer. I think I created a masterpiece. I still will use GV by it self when I occasionally want that barbershop smell, but my custom GV/SR, I will wear often as its very versitile (work, night out, summer, spring, fall, mild winter days) and smells great.
From a dummy to a genious :)
Should anyone try that combo, it was actually 30 sprays of SR to 25 of GV as I thought the GV sprayer gave out more juice, so I figure that was close to a 50/50 mix. You can get Richard James Savile Row on ebay for $30/100ml, the last time I checked.

Shafkat82Shafkat82 4 months ago
Its like signature scent type, if you are 35+ . For mature nose and if you like manly perfume . Excellent for office environment.
MrLimuzinMrLimuzin 5 months ago
An uncommonly exceptional blend in a common (easy to find) fragrance. Tried-and-true, a classic masterpiece.
JayNayJayNay 5 months ago
Class A frag for the mature men so it can be admired by mature women. Unique scent, a bit old school but still great today.
BielwenassBielwenass 12 months ago
I know it's a classic, but the vetiver here comes across as overly tart and medicinal.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 1 year ago
Timeless masculine. A citrus blast in the opening, a green vetiver and a touch of tobacco in the drydown. 5/5
KimJongKimJong 2 years ago
It is greener than before and I love more this reformed version.
SergioTSergioT 2 years ago
The vetiver scent by wich every other vetiver scent is compared with. Not my favorite but one of the most versatile and classy. Eternal
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 3 years ago
This baby right here put Grey Vetiver outside of my fragrance game. Absolute masterpiece. Clean, classy and charming with a creamy base.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
Guerlain Vétiver deserves the reputation of "The Vetiver Fragrance" being fresh, woody, natural, sober, alluring and elegant since 1959!
ElysiumElysium 3 years ago
One of the most root, smoky, elegant, and classy interpretation of the wondrous and versatile vetiver. Flawless on a calescent summer night!

friesisch-französisch-würzisch-lieb'isch
by NuiWhakakore
by Kovex
by Kovex
by EauMySoul
by EauMySoul
Vetiver rouge spielt verstecken (Rotrasenjacke)
by NuiWhakakore
LE COEUR VERT
by Can777
by Dibella
by Dibella
by Rivegauche
Ein wenig in der Sonne chillen...
by Salva
by Mustang69
by Mustang69
by Landlord
Guerlain - Vetiver (1959)
by Morpheus1
Layering for men.
by EauSavage
by Shivsri13
by Shivsri13
by Leons
Guerlain - Vetiver (1959)
by Morpheus1
by Fivetoes74
by Malik
by Malik

Popular Guerlain

Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain