Vetiver (1959)Eau de Toilette

Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain
Bottle Design Robert Granai

Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guerlain for men and was released in 1959. The scent is green-spicy. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesOrange, Bergamot, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesNutmeg, Pepper
Base Notes Base NotesVetiver, Tobacco, Tonka bean

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 04.06.2020.

What it says is in it!
Vetiver in a very pure form. The fragrance reminds me of Lalique Encre Noire, but is not as deep and broad. The fragrance is very unagitated and that's great, it's vetiver through and through and hardly anything else. The vetiver smells pleasantly woody and slightly smoky, slightly earthy. I think for people who like vetiver this fragrance is highly recommended. Lasts easily 15 hours and is very valuable. Who knows and likes the Lalique EN will also like this fragrance. But the Encre Noire is the better choice for me because it is much more interesting

Skinbracer
Stopped at the tire store on the way to the barbershop
Made a blind purchase as I read and seen(youtube) so many positive reviews on Guerlain Vetiver, and with a great offer on ebay for only $9 more for a 200ml than the lowest price I can find for a 100ml, I thought I better jump on it. I know, what dummy buys a 200ml blind buy. I did, and at first regreted it for I wasn't to keen on the scent, but for reason I'll explain later in this review I'm glad I made the purchase.
First of all, the bottle I recieved is the one with the dark green cap and came in a silver box, not the silver cap with the green box.
When I first tried it I didn't like it too much, to me it smell citrusy, but rubbery. Like walking in a tire store that had citrus trees. It also smelled of grass, but not fresh cut grass, but grass with dirt. It does calm down after a while and the rubbery smell becomes a soapy smell, and combined with other notes I do get that nice barbershop smell. I'm not a big fan of barbershop smell, but is a nice smell when I'm in the mood for it, but don't want to smell like that every day. Thankfully, I didn't spend too much on the 200ml bottle, but I still had about 195ml to use. Don't feel like it's worth the bother to sell it, as it's not like selling a bottle of Creed or Tom Ford for big $. So I thought I try to mix it up with another fragrance I have that also didn't cost me much to hopefully take away that harsh rubbery opening and have something different when I'm not in the mood for a barbershop smell. So I took my Savile Row cologne which I like a lot but is a tad too floral, and did a 50/50 mix with GV in an optimizer. I think I created a masterpiece. I still will use GV by it self when I occasionally want that barbershop smell, but my custom GV/SR, I will wear often as its very versitile (work, night out, summer, spring, fall, mild winter days) and smells great.
From a dummy to a genious :)
Should anyone try that combo, it was actually 30 sprays of SR to 25 of GV as I thought the GV sprayer gave out more juice, so I figure that was close to a 50/50 mix. You can get Richard James Savile Row on ebay for $30/100ml, the last time I checked.

Love at first sniff
My immediate impression on this is that it reminds of the barbershop I attend to now and then. I love that scent. Now, this does not have lavender in it but the note of tobacco and vetiver come across as VERY manly. And that manliness is what reminds me of barbershops.

Honestly, I'm not too good at picking up notes so all I really get is a really smooth and dense and bitter tobacco note. I don't really know what vetiver smells like but maybe that's the vetiver.

Regardless, the blend of tobacco and vetiver is incredible. I am so glad it is a affordable scent as I can imagine folks pay big bucks for the scent. This is definitely a bang for buck fragrance as it really has a classic and formal vibe to it. However, don't think you can't wear this casually. I can totally pull this off wearing T shirt and jeans.

Great Great scent from guerlain, I wish I bought the 200ml to begin with but..you can learn from my lesson.
LOVE IT!
Volker1964
Guerlain makes vetiver elegant and pleasant
I find vetiver fragrances interesting and exciting. I have already tested some vetiver scents. I was not yet 100% convinced. Convinces Guerlain Vetiver ?
Top note
Beautiful, pleasant freshness meets subtle fruity notes. Well presented and balanced. Bergamot flatters the whole thing quite skillfully and elegantly.
Heart note
In the heart note, the fragrance becomes spicier without exaggerating, which means it remains pleasant. A lighter peppery note is there, but more in the background.
Base note
Here vetiver comes into its own wonderfully, carried by a piquant spice with a medium-strong tobacco note.
Conclusion
A mMn very successful vetiver fragrance from Guerlain. Vetiver plays the leading role, but the 'supporting actors' are also convincing. It remains balanced and elegant until the end. For me a fragrance for the cooler days at work and in my free time. It lasts about 6-8 hours with me

I blind bought this together with Habit Rouge
Ah how these reviews got me interested in experimenting... but unfortunately, I just don’t think the Guerlain line appeals to me very much. They might just be TOO “classical” for my taste.

I get a VERY “grassy” feel in this one; not a bad scent by any means... it is indeed a very NICE grassy feel that slowly builds after the citrus/lemon opening begins to fade out, it’s just not my “flavor”. A little too “mature” for me; it gives off a kind of “Doctor-ish” or “Professor-ish” feel. A kind of “intimidating intelligent alpha” vibe. Actually both of them (Habit Rouge and Vetiver) feel rather “mature” in how they wear on my skin, and the longevity on them is really quite short lived on me

I’ll hold on to both of them, as I’d be very interested in any ideas for “layering” them, but I don’t think I’ll be sporting them “solo” very often.

Edit 5/9/2020: Well, being in this pandemic lockdown, stay at home society has had me using this one more; and it’s grown on me. It’s more in the dry down stage that I’m enjoying it... it IS quite addicting. A full, powerful, alpha wavelength that lasts about 6 hours or so as a skin scent. The projection isn’t very far (maybe 2ft maximum), and the sillage trail is minimal, but the clean, soapy aroma has me smiling, and it just goes to show you that a scent CAN grow on you (or me at least).
Comed
4 reformulations, 4 scents?
Since 1959 there is this great fragrance and I have tested and analyzed the last 4 reformulations for me. The result may help you to identify the different versions and to classify them better:

1. Vintage version, brown liquid (before the year 2000)

Top note: citrus+, tobacco+++
Drydown: Vetiver+, Tobacco+++
Heat: +++
Green: 0
Projection: 0
Shelf life: +
Note: Vetiver as an accessory to fine cut tobacco, after an unspectacular prelude unfortunately quickly up close

2. Milk glass, wide bottle, green liquid (in the years 2000-2011)

Top note: Citrus++, Tobacco++
Drydown: Vetiver++, Tobacco++
Heat: +
Green: +
Shelf life: ++
Note: completely new composition, vetiver appears green, cool and sober, tobacco is only prominent in the top note, in the drydown then harmonious tobacco vetiver next to each other

3. Silver cap, slender bottle, curved "Guerlain" logo, green liquid, green packaging (2011-2016)

Top note: Citrus++, Tobacco+
Drydown: Vetiver++, Tobacco++
Heat: ++
Green: +
Shelf life: +
Remark: looks harmonious from the beginning, also in the drydown vetiver and tobacco well balanced, corners and edges were sanded out, composition again a little warmer

4. Synthetic wood cap, high bottle, simple "Guerlain" lettering, green liquid, grey standard packaging (since 2016)

Top note: citrus+++, tobacco+
Drydown: vetiver++, tobacco+
Heat: +
Green: ++
Shelf life: +
Note: Prominent lemon in prelude, much less tobacco, in drydown harsh vetiver turns green, slightly dull, warmth was reduced again

Over time, the conditions of vetiver and tobacco have changed greatly. In summary, it can be said that tobacco has been further and further reduced. In return, the fragrance became ever more vetiver-green and the top note ever more citrus-rich.

I wouldn't go so far as to describe the 4 versions as separate fragrances. Also the topic of the "smoking gardener" is still present. But he smokes much less than before, which probably fits better into our non-smoking society. ;)

A Summer Meadow In A Bottle
Imagine if you will a summery meadow early in the morning with droplets of dew hanging off the green grass. On the edge of the meadow is a forest with the sunlight shimmering through the branches of the trees that are swaying from a gentle breeze.

Imagine still that you are on your morning walk through the countryside and stop to inhale the breeze that is coming from this summery meadow.

The first thing that caresses your senses is a fresh green grassy smell that is beautiful and airy and seems to capture the essence of mother nature.

This is what I get when I smell Guerlains Vetiver, beautiful complex green fresh smell. It's a Summer meadow in a bottle.

Carlitos01
Vétiver ou Vétiver Extréme, mais toujours Guerlain, bien sûre!
Vétiver has become a common name through perfume wearers, a name as common as lavander, wood or lemon. Nevertheless vétiver as a raw material is almost unknown by the majority of the vétiver enthusiasts. In perfumery, vétiver is an essence extracted from an Eastern Asian weed grass called "chrysopogon zizanioides" or "vetiveria zizanioides". It's usually classified as a woody scent. It exhales a dry, musty and woody aroma and is associated to masculine fragrances. Rest assured as well that the vétiver is a gender defying note as it is successful blended in many feminine perfumes. Depending on its varieties, vétiver accords may present bitter chocolate, woody, smoky. earthy, loamy, warm, nutty, spicy and green facets.
The iconic vétiver designer for the last few decades is Guerlain with Vetiver and Vetiver Extreme. Guerlain Vétiver has been out there forever, and deserves its reputation as "The Vetiver Fragrance". You can’t go wrong with the current iterations as a starting point for a vétiver fragrance. Just start here to get the full-on vétiver experience. With both Guerlain Vétiver perfumes you’ve tried one of the best, and you can now move on to other vétiver experiences. Older Guerlain vétiver formulations are brighter, with more lemon and bergamot. The later EDTs are dryer, more austere and less sunny.

Guerlain Vétiver has been launched in 1959 - contemporary of Cabochard - and aimed at a fresh, woody, natural, sober and elegant fragrance.
The fragrance opens on the spontaneous, glittering freshness of citrus fruits namely orange, bergamot and lemon. At the heart, spices such as nutmeg and pepper intensify the fragrance, before giving way to an once innovative accord in perfumery, crafted on the basis of vetiver, tonka bean, nutmeg and tobacco, a fresh and woody accord for a fragrance with sheer cool and clean elegance.

With Vétiver Extrême launched in 2007, Guerlain offers a different and original interpretation of Vétiver. Whereas one is fresh and woody, the other is just as woody but more aromatic. Ever loyal to the original framework, this extreme accord is more intense.
The fragrance opens with orange spicy floral hints through the bergamot note enhanced with lemon. At the heart, pepper and nutmeg are blended in a stimulating elegant accord. Then comes vetiver, which deploys all of its woody sensuality on the skin thanks to the help of the cedar austerity and the bittersweet almond facet of tonka bean.

Let's see how Vétiver (V) and Vétiver Extreme (VE) compare with each other through scoring:
______________________(V)__________(VE)___________________________________________________
Scent opening............9.0.................9.0 (Similar citrus accords mastered by Guerlain)
Scent Dry Down.........9.0.................8.5 (V is more alluring and VE is more intense)
Longevity (h) ..............8.0.................8.5 (VE has a slightly bigger longevity than 9 hours
while V has less than 9 hours)
Sillage (ft)....................8.0.................8.5 (V: up to 5-6 ft /2 h projection; VE: 6-7 ft /2.5 h)
Versatility....................8.5.................8.5 (above average for fresh fragrances)
Usability......................9.0.................9.0 (Literally everywhere except very cold outdoors)
Compliments..............8.25...............8.5 (Both scents are good at attracting compliments)
Uniqueness.................9.0.................8.0 (V has been quite innovative; VE is a flanker)
Quality........................ 9.5.................9.5 (quite high in both cases)
Presentation...............7.5.................7.5 (a matter of opinion)
Price.............................8.5.................8.5 (V: €30 / 100 ml + taxes; VE: €30/100 ml+taxes;
Testers are € 5.0 cheaper )
_______________________(V)__________(VE)__________________________________________________

- Average:................8.57/10.0.........8.55/10.0
between 7 and 8 => above average;
between 8 and 9 => recommended;
equal or bigger than 9 => don't miss it;

Opinion on this fraternal match:
Both fragrances are very good and provide a similar satisfaction. Value for money is quite high in both cases. The choice only depends on your personal taste. You may decide for the more aromatic and intense one or for the more formal, alluring and a tiny less intense one.
Recommended? I recommend both fragrances.
Blind buy worthy? Yes for any of the Vétiver versions.

Music: Elvis Presley - "Green Green Grass Of Home"
Context and framing
My relationship with Vetiver is ambiguous. Since my (still not quite mastered) primary experience with Lalique's "Encre Noire" it's hard for me to face dominant vetiver unbiasedly and quickly the inner flap closes on which it says: "Vetiver turns a perfume into a smell". And so, for months now, Guerlain's top classic from 1959 has been standing almost untouched on the shelf in his labeled pocket sprayer, since the first smell test seemed to confirm my conditioned prejudice: "Vetiver EdT" did not smell to me, it rather smelled - albeit not unpleasant. But just cold, without history and purpose; the usual, one-dimensional pencil lead. How much more interesting was "Timbuktu" by L'Artisan Parfumeur...

A few months later I (not for the first time, mea culpa) go with my young passion to one of my friends unasked on the biscuit. Spray, spray. Verriech, verriech. Nothing really gets through to him until it comes to Guerlain's Vetiver. All of a sudden, the olfactory chisel blow sits there and already it breaks out of him: the brook behind the clubhouse where he played as a child. The moss, the stones: deluxe head cinema. Have-must-Litany. Even though this is a very biographical association that I naturally could not comprehend, it nevertheless led me to give the fragrance another chance and lo and behold: it is no longer so inaccessible. The feeling of wearing a little artistically presented "primary scent" on the skin fades away. Something like joy comes up!

The scent stays cool and reserved, yes. But not rejectingly indifferent like a Bauhaus model housing estate, but rather imposing respect like a classicist theatre building: Primarily monochrome, too, but peppered with details that give the whole context and form; the pure, brutalistic "surface" is avoided. After the citric prelude has faded away, one can clearly feel the pepper, which has been dosed with verve. In addition, there is a spice, of which I cannot say exactly whether it comes from listed tobacco or from nutmeg. Regardless: with just a few simple steps, the Vetiver is given a frame that really turns it into a perfume. The snobbish coolness becomes an aristocratic distance that creates space and commitment. Such a thing can be called a gentleman's fragrance, if I may be allowed to use this worn catchword.
Rolex Submariner among men's fragrances
I've been thinking long and hard about what title to dedicate to this comment. Then I had enlightenment (see above).
One of my other passions is watches. Anyone who knows a little about this knows exactly what I mean.

For everyone else: a Rolex Submariner is THE men's watch. At the t-shirt while barbecuing she looks as good as under a suit at a wedding.
The macho likes to have his coolness and masculinity underlined by a Submariner sitting loosely on his wrist. Critics like to accuse her of showing off and suspect a fake behind each copy, which only adds another moment to her image.
The functional look is as striking as it is simple and separates the spirits. Even if watches of more renowned manufacturers cost many times more, none achieves their recognition value. Apart from the stereotypes, there are also collectors' hearts that appreciate the "Sub" from a functional point of view as well as from the design language, and who perhaps stealthily pull up their sleeves in an unobserved moment in the office, enjoy the sight intimately and don't know the time a second later.

So, of course, this should not be an advertisement for watches, but Guerlain Vetiver dedicated to dedicate. But the description of the fragrance itself has already been dealt with in detail by experts, unlike me. I confine myself to describing my emotions; answering the question "How do you actually find the perfume?
I had it given to me by a special person for my birthday. Over the last few years I've sniffed my way through some exclusive perfume houses, which Douglas doesn't even give you; always looking for the "kick". I think many of you know this curriculum. There were also proven Vetiver scents in it.
"But "Vetiver" by Guerlain somehow made the difference, as the translation from English is, but semantically unfortunately does not take into account the original sound. Since then, my tens of samples have been standing in the cupboard with their fill levels unchanged, while I can watch Vetiver's liquid surface sink. I spray this scent again like water like in teenage times - with great joy. The scent found me. Definitely something that gets better over time. There probably won't be many guys who can't smell the scent at all; is somehow the scent archetype and a good teacher at the same time:
Since I got him, something in my scented brain has been clicking. Since then, I have known that it is Vetiver that actually fascinates all men's fragrances. And it's the essence that freshly shaved skin craves.

The answer to the question from above is: "Wonderful!"

KimJongKimJong 123 days ago
It is greener than before and I love more this reformed version.
SergioTSergioT 148 days ago
The vetiver scent by wich every other vetiver scent is compared with. Not my favorite but one of the most versatile and classy. Eternal
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 16 months ago
This baby right here put Grey Vetiver outside of my fragrance game. Absolute masterpiece. Clean, classy and charming with a creamy base.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 17 months ago
Guerlain Vétiver deserves the reputation of "The Vetiver Fragrance" being fresh, woody, natural, sober, alluring and elegant since 1959!
ElysiumElysium 22 months ago
One of the most root, smoky, elegant, and classy interpretation of the wondrous and versatile vetiver. Flawless on a calescent summer night!
LillibetLillibet 2 years ago
Opens with mint & citrus over anise, a little jasmine & (of course) vetiver. Perfect for a crisp & pulled together Monday at the office.

by Kovex
by Moenti
by Mustang69
by Mustang69
by Landlord
Guerlain - Vetiver (1959)
by Morpheus1
by Shivsri13
by Shivsri13
by Slickadam
by Slickadam
Guerlain - Vetiver (1959)
by Morpheus1
by Fivetoes74
by Malik
by Malik

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain