Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain

Vetiver 1959 Eau de Toilette

Razvanyke
14.05.2022 - 09:25 AM

Is oldschool the best school?

I must say that until the pandemic started I was kind of a passive perfume lover, I had about 4 bottles in the bathroom and that was that.

Since a few years I discovered more and more about the perfume world, perfume houses and also their creations. I owned the DIOR Vetiver which many consider the "Holy Grail" in what regards Vetiver perfumery. But there was a problem in having that one, and that problem is called Guerlain.

I got a Guerlain EDT Vetiver sample from a Sharing because I was curious to see how it is and then "it hit me" .. this smells painfully similar to the DIOR, for a fraction of the cost.

This scent starts very bold with the specific green Vetiver power, but then gets right away toned down by the lovely orange and bergamot to give it almost a summery feel. The spiciness comes later, but all is gravitating around Vetiver, you will not forget one minute what you are wearing.

Vetiver with its earthy note, might be quite challenging for most of the people if not blended well with some supporting notes like Bergamot, Orange, Frankincense, Coffee or Tonka Beans. And what a job has Jean Paul Guerlain did in 1959 .. something which feels to me as modern and addictive today in 2022 as it was 60 years ago.

The modern perfumery with lots of notes, aromachemicals and ambroxan is maybe a trend which hopefully will go away, like a summer song .. but classics like Habit Rouge and Vetiver from Guerlain, are here to stay.

Latest Reviews

RazvanykeRazvanyke 10 days ago
Original Santal - Creed

Original Santal Similar but not the same
I know that my reviews are copy paste for this scent and the Montblanc, but the arguments apply one to one for both so how can I make them different ? Please see the summary below: I have a CREED original Santal sample at home, and like...

RazvanykeRazvanyke 10 days ago
Individuel (Eau de Toilette) - Montblanc

Individuel (Eau de Toilette) Similar but not the same
I have a CREED original Santal sample at home, and like many others I was wondering what is the point to pay premium €€ when you can get the cheaper Individuel, right? Well .. it´s not that simple. I got myself a sample before buying...